Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota - General Topic

Comments

• Options
    saskquadsaskquad Member Posts: 24
    (bookitty) The reason you want the trans in gear is to eliminate the chance of the output shaft of the trans freewheeling as it could in neutral.Without the input shaft turning as it would when the engine is running there will be no splash lube to the ouput shaft and the bearing between the input and output shaft will fail. Splash lube is provided by the countershaft which is driven by the input shaft.
    There will always be some drag through the transfer case even in neutral.
    I'll quit now before I confuse my inputs with my outputs!
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Rick, David, thank you for your input (pun intended). That sounds reasonable, and I suspected that it was a lubrication issue, but did not think that the differential turning would make much of a fluid coupling. This way, the transmission will have sufficient resistance to remain at rest. I knew that when we hauled equipment backward on a truck that the exhaust pipe had to be covered on units equipped with Cummins and John Deere engines or they would spin the turbo bearings. Detroit diesels with their separate turbo lube sump were not affected thus. Thanks guys.

Bookitty
  • Options
    dwoutersdwouters Member Posts: 2
    I'm still undecided as to what type of truck to buy.. I've been looking at the Dakota because I like their looks, but after reading some of your horror stories out there, I really don't know anymore.. Of course, those kind of situations can happen with any type of vehicle.

I think I'll start an informal poll.

If you were in my shoes, and haven't signed any paper work, would you do buy the Dakota again?

I'm looking at and extended cab 4x4 with a 4.7l V8.

I like in Oregon, and would like to occasionally explore the back country.

sell me, owners.. do I take the leap?

thanks.
  • Options
    hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Well in my situations of needing a compact pickup to do a full size pickups job the answer is yes and I can prove it since this is my 3rd problematic Dakota. If I didnt need the towing capability of the Dakota I would be in a Toyota Double Cab. On my second Dakota the rearend could not be repaired and the dealer that I work with is also a Toyota dealer and they let me borrow a Tacoma to see how it towed my boat. Well it would pull it but would slow from 60 to 35 going up average hills and I was only pulling 4600 lbs. So when Dodge bought my truck back I had to go with another Dakota.

I hope if this one works out (off to a bad start already) I am hoping that others will have more capable trucks when im in the market again so I can get something other than a Dakota.

So my loooooooooong answer is no, I would not buy it again unless I have to.

Good luck,

Robert
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Yes and no, I would buy the same vehicle I have now BUT with 4 wheel drive. However that was before the new RAM. I think I prefer the new Ram Quad to the Dakota Quad now only because of the roomier interior. I still love my Quad and will keep it for years but when we replace my wifes Altima the new Ram is on the short list of vehicles we are considering along with another Altima and a Neon SRT4. Rick
  • Options
    mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Thanks to lousy brakes and an awful shifting automatic.
    Plus a host of other nuisances common to a Friday build date vehicle.
    Replaced wiper switch twice, brake rotors and drums four times, camshaft sensor, 2 updates to PCM to cure stalling, clicking in rear leaf springs (required new spacers and straps)mysterious clanking in front end when using brakes. Drivers seat now sags mightily under my 215 lb heft (padding compressed down and support, what little there was, is now non-existent)
    Finally although this has not hampered driving experience, there is the constand Mayo goo in the oil filler tube during cool weather.

Summary: DC has the right idea but poor execution on some aspects. It appears the bean counters had too much say so in the design of this vehicle.
  • Options
    namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    My 97 has been excellent. Only work done was replaced a cat at 23K under waranty. My 01 has had no work done but will have shortly. My stereo died. The brake issue is common to most vehicles on the market so I can'ty single out dodge. When the brakes wear out I replace with aftermarkrt good stuff.

I would buy these trucks again.
  • Options
    bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    I have an 98 Club Cab. I love it! I have the 5.2l with 5-speed, 2WD. It has been fairly trouble free for me. Biggest problem was a dead battery 3 months ago.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • Options
    surffla1surffla1 Member Posts: 52
    Only 2500 miles so take it w/a grain of salt. Will I be saying yes at 25,000? 50,000? Time will tell. I accepted the risk w/the brakes. When I get my aftermarket rotors and pads my truck will be even better. Quad Sport+ 2wd, LSD, Tow, HD Manual and Cooling, Tire and Handling. Now 4wd is a whole other matter. Can't speak to that. The manual transmission is the preferred way to go if it suits you. Could not get a manual in Taco/Quad or Tundra. Room, ride, looks and very fun to drive. See my response to digipix in Quad Cab forum. Also see Edmunds Compact Crew Cab Shootout.

Iowabigguy,
    Check out the March Motor Trend New Ram vs F-150, Silverado, Tundra. Personally I do not care for the new design of the Ram. Looks like something out of a comic book or a Tonka Truck. I know everyone is different though. I think they went too far with the exagerated front. I think the conservative look of the Chevy has held up much better than the curvy Ford. And I am sure you know to at least wait for the new Hemi engine. Ram got the lowest score in Power category
  • Options
    Well, I don't really know what Curly of The Three Stooges would purchase, but I had a 1995 Club Cab and currently own a 2000 Quad Cab. I would certainly buy Dakota again. It was the only opportunity to buy a truck in this size class with a V-8 engine coupled to a manual 5 speed transmission. I love my truck!

Bookitty
  • Options
    bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    In a heartbeat!!! I don't believe any vehicle is without problems. My 96 Blazer has been through brake rotors, power steering pump, a/c compressor, and the infamous GM belt tensioner. Oh, almost forgot the windshield wipers that refused to operate when needed. There is more. My '01 CC with 4.7 and auto has had a small transmission leak and a water leak at the top of the windshield. Will it have more problems? I'm not sure but I'll just deal with them if they happen. My brakes are fine and the transmission works great. I guess a Toyota might be more problem free but I don't like the style of any of their models and they don't have the size I need. My only other consideration for purchasing another Dakota would be the Quad Cab.
  • Options
    tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    Without a doubt!...THis is the best truck I've had (and there's been several) Great balance of power, size, and utility. The only thing I'd improve are the seats. But, everybody's butt is different, so it may fit others better. I have experienced ZERO problems with my truck ('01 4x4 QC 4.7l 5-spd) including the infamous brake problems and I just turned 24k, and I drive quite hard. Keep in mind, Dodge produces thousands of these trucks and the people here are only a small percentage of the buyers. Whenever you offer people a forum, most often you will here only the bad things that happen, not so much "hey, everything is great" although it may outnumber the bad. Truthfully, I don't think the Dak has any more problems than any other vehicle. I'm sure if you went to any other discussion board, they would be complaining about problems as well.

So not only would I buy one again, I would build it the EXACT same way (at least until the 5.7l Hemi is out). Good luck with your decision, what ever it may be.
  • Options
    ja812ja812 Member Posts: 33
    At Easter break I plan on hauling a u-haul trailer from Michigan to Colorado and wonder if I should ever use overdrive once I get rolling on the highway or should leave it out of overdrive the whole way? I've replaced the diff both front and back w/synthetic.
    4.7 qc 3.55
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank-You
  • Options
    If you have the auto, I believe Dodge (as do most manufacturers) does not recommend towing in o/d. If you are running the stick, using 5th is no problem.
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    dwouters - I have a 2 K Dak CC with a 4.7 5 speed. I just went over 2 years and am approaching 30K miles. The only problems I have had are moisture in the headlamps twice. The 4.7 and the 5 speed are a perfect match and I would buy my truck again in a heartbeat. I concur with the comments of tuvtest; for every complaint you hear on this list and other forums there are 15 satisfied customers.

Ron35
  • Options
    I read the Motor Trend comparison. It has a common theme of most reviews of any vehicles. Not Enough Horsepower! I've driven a regular cab 4.7 with the automatic and 4 wheel drive. To my uneducated butt it seemed to have more than adequate power. I didn't like the look of the new Ram at first but I'm starting to get used to the Humongus Grill. The cab is really laid out nice and has lots of room. I'm considering a short box 4x4 ST with minimal power options with the 4.7 and a 5 speed. For my needs the 5.7 hemi would just be a extra expense to purchase and use more gas to boot! My only towing would be an occasional load on my 2000lb utility trailer. I still haven't found a 4.7 and 5 speed combo to test drive but I'm sure the power will be even better with the standard Transmission. Rick
  • Options
    jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    I have owned a 2001 Dakota Quad for 11 months and 13,400 miles now. I ordered it with everything on top of the 4wd, 4.7, 5spd., 3.92 lsd etc...I have had very few problems with it and like the truck alot overall. I would buy it again because it has the right amount of power in a convenient size package. It has a refined interior that is well appointed and it makes me feel that 41 isn't over the hill yet.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Yes, but I sure covet the 5.7.
  • Options
    decentman4youdecentman4you Member Posts: 27
    though gotta wait till I have enough $$$ again an or this present Dodge wears out...

My Present 2001 ordered directly from the the Factory, Born on date is: 07-00, recieved 8 August 2000, QuadCab 4x4, LSD, 3.55 4.7L Auto-(tired of rowing the gears as with my 5-speed 87 Nissan Kingcab, though it is fun to drive sometimes) AWD, T&H, heavy-duty everything, 4-wheel antilock brakes, Amberfire, tow pkg-factory installed, I got everything except for Leather, sliding rear window, an cd-in-dash, - goofed on that one, should of gotten the cd-indash, still havn't gotten the changer yet. and I have the TITLE
    GVWR is 5780 lbs, 2001 QuadCab 4x4 4.7 auto/awd, 13,450.0 miles no problems with brakes, yet :-) Mileage is 12-14mpg tromping around Houston TX, and on my trips to Dallas @ 60mph-cruise/control I get 20-21mpg regular Diamond-Shamrock 87oct.
    I bought this Particular vehicle, as I Believe that A AWD vehicle is the SAFEST to drive and Only the Dodge offers a P/U with this option. Am well aware of the Mileage & tire wear concern, though I haven't seen the tire's wear yet. Plus this vehicle offer's me the option of being able to Do anything that comes to mind; take up to 5 other people with me, move "tall" items that cant fit into a suv :-) pull my 'future' Boat, and the accelleration is Awesome! current mileage is 13,450.0 as of 13 Feb 02
    I do drive this vehicle at least twice a week; "the QC" I rotate amoung the 87 Nissan Kingcab that allowed me to save long enough to be able to buy this QC for CASH :-), and my 1984 Honda Trail CT-110 grocery-getter.

an that's my .02
  • Options
    sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    Here's a link that has some good info on the 4.7L V-8 for those that are interested.

http://coulterc.home.mindspring.com/hemi/hemi.html

• Options
    stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    Yes I would. I have a 00 quad 4.7L auto 4x4 now with 18400 miles. No brake problems as yet, or pops squeeks, or rattles. Rear end was replaced because of whine, poss was shipping damaged axle tube. Transfer case started leaking at 12k or so. They replaced a gasket. No other problems. I too would like a little more padding in the seat, but its not bad. A lot of fun to drive, nice tight ride, good handling and pretty quiet. 4.7 is a great engine if it holds up good. Milage runs 14.5 to 18 all around depending on temp outside. Have seen 19 on highway. Will be taking a long 3000 mile trip in a couple of weeks with it. So we will see how it does. Good luck, Nick.
  • Options
    dodgetrukndodgetrukn Member Posts: 116
    Is this the typical setup?? I am looking to change mufflers soon. Thought I read many places that 2001 quad 4x4 stock muf was center inlet/offset outlet. I have both inlet/outlet offset and the oval muffler bottom is not parallel to the ground. Muffler is installed sideways a little like
    it was the only way to get it in. Question:?? Is this normal ?? or do MOST PEOPLE have center-inlet and offset-outlet on their mufflers. BTY, my stock muffler has a 24(length) inch case, and 28 inch from pipe in/outs. I've read people used flowmaster 942552 and that has center inlet. I want a dynomax. Just want to order corrrectly for simple installation.Ger
  • Options
    surffla1surffla1 Member Posts: 52
    This may sound like a dumb question but when parking a manual on a flat surface should you leave the car in gear and set the parking break? Or parking brake only? Or does it even matter?

And while we are on dumb questions here's another. I do a lot of short trip driving (drop off and pick up kids at school, day care, sports, work errands etc.). What is better for the engine, turning it off only to start again in a short period of time or just let it idle. If let it idle how long before turning it off becomes the better choice?
  • Options
    Patrick, without consulting the manual, I always leave the vehicle in neutral with the parking brake set. Only on a very steep incline would I leave the vehicle in gear. That is because many years ago (over 50), my favorite uncle (now deceased) told me that if someone bumps into you with the vehicle in gear it could chip a tooth. However, true, false or just plain stupid, I got into the habit of just using the parking brake. My bride however, always leaves her vehicles in gear. I am certain that you will receive better answers, but not older ones.

Bookitty
  • Options
    ritzoidritzoid Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001qc 4.7, 5spd, 2wd in which I just installed a Magnaflow muffler. They don't have a cat back system available yet, but the recommended application was a 5x8x18 oval muffler with a center inlet and offset outlet. This is shorter than the original muffler so a short extender piece had to be installed. Regards, Steve
  • Options
    jebsdaddyjebsdaddy Member Posts: 52
    I always put the gear shift in 1st or reverse and set the parking brake when parking. 1st or reverse is more resistant to rolling compared to the other gears.
  • Options
    ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    There was some discussion on the Dakota Mailing List about a DC Buzz article which said that the Dakota may be discontinued after the 04 model year. The main reason cited was the small difference in price between the Dak and the Ram. There is one other aspect of this which I don't understand; it is something I just discovered about 2 months ago. Effective this year the Ram is only available as a regular cab and a 4 door. A club cab/extended cab is not available. If they discontinue the Dak, this effectively means they have given up on that section of the market and surrendered it to Chevy and Ford. This seems ludicrous.

Ron35
  • Options
    ron35, what you say about the extended cab is true right now but who is to say they won't increase the model variety of the Ram if the Dakota is discontinued. Rick
  • Options
    ron35 - the 4 door 2002 Ram is an extended cab. It is just slightly larger than the previous extended cab and has nearly full size, forward opening rear doors. The rear seat is not as big as a Dakota QC rear seat and much smaller than a full-size crew cab.

As for the Dakota being discontinued, I find it hard to believe that DC would abandon the mid-size truck segment since the next generation of the Chevy S-10 (and its GMC cousin) are going to be mid-sized trucks.
  • Options
    I am considering installing a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow (2.5" in/2.5" out) on my 2002 4.7L. I want something that sounds a bit better than the stock muffler without being obnoxiously loud and may offer some improved performance as well. Anyone that's installed one on their Dakota have any comments? Thanks.
  • Options
    steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    One of the main reasons given for the cancellation is that the 04 Dakota was going to be very close in size to the Ram. I think it is a mistake, but mark this up to the MB mentality.
  • Options
    Good News! Apparently the new Dakota design is back on again, along with and new compact truck. Details can be found at:

http://car-truck.com

• Options
    hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    I am finally in California and boy did I think I had a problem with the tranny. When you are going downhill aka mountain and have cruise control on, the transmission will automatically shift out of overdrive if the coast speed increases more than 3-4 mph over your set cruise to provide engine braking (Kewl, its like a baby Allison tranny.) Of course in most of the downhill driving I had to do I had to go even further and shift into 2nd.

In case any of you are wondering, no I did not tow the wifes car through the mountains in overdrive. I only shift into overdrive when going downhill to help fuel economy and to get a headstart up the next long steep climb. I was surprised that the auto 4.7 was able the be in the passing lane going up those mountains especially pulling a tow dolly and another car. The truck actually impressed me and even up the steepest long hills the engine temp barely moved. This is much better than I expected.

Good luck all,

Robert
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Do you drive a Chevrolet Suburban or the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab? If so, and if you're willing to talk with a major daily newspaper about your truck, please send your vehicle info and contact info including phone number by noon Eastern on Tuesday, July 2 to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    Check out the following link for an interesting Dakota. Special note to the torque.

http://www.galebanks.com/Banks_Sidewinder/sidewinder-news.cfm

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Its a DIESEL Dakota!

I wish I could buy the same diesel dakoata that is built in Brazil, (delivered to all the world EXCEPT USA) I would not mind 40MPG.
  • Options
    bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    Well, I wouldn't call it the "same". I'm wondering what the fit of that cummins is in the Dakota. I'm sure several shoehorns were necessary!
  • Options
    Email me if interested. the "BOB" is in pristine condition (as Desmond Lewellyn would say)
    Covers the 4.7 and the 45RFE trans too.
  • Options
    livnlrnlivnlrn Member Posts: 76
    Don't have your email.
  • Options
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi:

I heard a rumour that Dodge has issued a recall on transfer cases for Dakota's 1998 and older.

I checked the NHTSA website to no avail. Anyone else hear this rumour, and if so, can you provide details?

Thanks

Rick
  • Options
    (woodyr1) Do not forget that NHTSA focuses on SAFETY issues. The xfer case may not fall into a safety category.

Perhaps there is not a 'recall' but instead a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the Xfer case.

There are FARRR more TSB's on vehicles than there are 'recalls'. A TSB is issued for virtually anyting from knobs falling off to paint peeling.... TSBs are not nearly as expensive as a 'recall' because the vehicle manufacturer is under no obligation to tell anyone about them. Only customers that complain loudly enough about a problem may force the dealer to look up the TSBs for that problem.

Do you know WHICH Xfer case is involved. Is it one of the "New Venture" designs? Is it the FULLTIME or SOTF? (ShiftOnTheFly)
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Hi bpeebles:

You are correct, it is probably more like a TSB, as opposed to a recall. I don't know which transfer case is affected, but due to the fact that it applies to 1998 models and previous, would expect it to be Shift on the fly.

Thanks

Rick
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Well, since purchasing my Dakota on 9 October, I've received four owner surveys in the mail and two phone calls asking about dealer and vehicle satisfaction. One was from AIG and the latest is from Maritz Research. I can't remember who the other two were from.

I've purchased a number of new vehicles in my life, but never have I gotten so much attention after a automobile purchase.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    When I purchased my Dakota, my salesman told me that I would be receiving surveys and actually suggested that I bring them into the dealership so he could assist me in "understanding the questions" !!!

I guess this is his way getting positive feedback on surveys..... I never did take any surveys to the dealership. Instead I answered the questions with brutal honesty 8-)
  • Options
    deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    We recently retired and moved to the country. I guess I never noticed it in the city with all the lights, but out here where it is DARK at night, the headlights on my '97 club cab really suck! Our car headlights reach out twice as far. I even went so far as to buy a new set of bulbs..thinking that after a few years, maybe the bulbs were weak..no help. The lights are blindingly bright if you look at them from a few feet away, but while driving, even on hi-beam, I would be lucky to see a deer by the roadside 200 ft. ahead. Has anyone experimented with Xenon bulbs or anything? I suspect this problem is due to the design of the reflectors, and I may just have to drive slower at night to be safe, but I sure would like to be able to see further ahead. I'm open to ideas if anyone has thoughts on this.
  • Options
    I was half listening to the radio one day when they were talking about car sales and industry problems. There was a 15 or 20 second sound bite on U.S. auto quality. I'm not sure I heard this right, but something about Dakota was the #1 first year leader in delivered quality in a survey of truck owners.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    (dustyk) You heard it right. My dak still has a sticker in the window pointing out that fact.

It is a "JD Powers" award.... for what its worth.
  • Options
    I'd have to say my 2003 Dakota's headlights seem fine to me, and I've just recently come from driving a '93 Sentra. My wife's Avalon seems to have stronger beams than the Dakota, but they seemed brighter than my Sentra, too. Sometimes the low beams seem a little too low, but the highbeams are definitely good.

Is this the only vehicle you drive? It could be that you're just not use to the country dark yet. Comparing to another vehicle might be a good.

Regards,
    Dusty
This discussion has been closed.