Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    snowedinsnowedin Member Posts: 58
    I just recently read your observations on covers that you posted here a while back and was wondering where you found a fold-a-cover for $400?
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Thanks for the responses on the Roll-n-Lock. I know I want one for my '00 Dakota. I'm just not sure if I should install it myself or not. Did either of you get a bedliner or bedmat to go with your Roll-n-Locks? Thanks...
  • Options
    hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i have a pendaliner, and thats what took them the longest on the installation. they had to do some cutting on the pendaliner.

p.s. i will never get a bedliner again, i will get a sprayin. the bedliner tailgate cover wraps around the top of the tailgate and down and it scratched to cow poo out of it down to the metal. i complained to penda for a few weeks and they finally paid to repaint the tailgate. i had the liner for a month before i got the roll-n-lock.

good luck,

robert
  • Options
    kwanderikwanderi Member Posts: 33
    I installed my Roll n Lock too. The instructions could have been a bit more clear, but as long as you have opposing thumbs, you'll manage. I do have a bed rug with the Bed X-Tender. This combo works great for me.

One thing I did change is to buy some more clear tubing and fittings and route all drains together into a single line and out through a hole in the rubber plug in the box on the left side. I just hate the idea of drilling a drain hole as the instructions said. I

Oh, and remove the piece of wood attached to the front side of the holding unit. Don't ask.

Keith
  • Options
    themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    On the 3rd of Jan. 00 I received an e:mail from Paulette @ fold-a-cover that said they were avail. in the total access model for $539 (retail price) from the Dodge dealers. So I called f-a-c and got the part number, called my local dealer and they told me it would be $429 shipped. Assumed it was a good price since I buy lots of stuff from them. Only caveat: at that time they didn't know I'd bought the Quad a few weeks before from another dealer near Austin, TX so maybe I got a discounted price quoted to me. I've had another local vendor tell me that the f-a-c was $377 - for HIS cost.

henne - wish you hadn't re-hashed that stuff about the tailgate scratches. I'm still po'd about that deal. :-( But I guess we still have you to kick around for bringing it up to us anyway. ;-))
  • Options
    sometimes i just dont feel loved :o)
  • Options
    xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    henne - Thanks for the opinion concerning the full bedliner. I'm wondering if I really need one myself.

kwanden - Thanks for the input. I have an after market bed extender from JC Whitney that I also will be installing. I like your idea of the hose routing for the water drain. I'll definitely consider it. I'm leaning towards a rubberized or carpet bedmat. Did you get an additional piece for your tailgate?

General question - did either you order you Roll-n-Locks from the factory? Or did you have a local source? Thanks again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    kwanderikwanderi Member Posts: 33
    I got my bed extender from JC Whitney too, $175 plus free shipping VS best local price of $240.

My bedmat came with a piece for the tailgate, the only pieces I didn't use were the pieces to cover the posts where the bed extender mounted.

I had THE local dealer order my R n L. At the time I got mine, you could only get dealer referrals from them, no online orders. I just liked this design because it clamped on and came with a lock for the tailgate. I'm very happy with it so far. The Da'kuda' is now like a sports car with a big trunk.
  • Options
    got mine from a dealer
  • Options
    kmennekmenne Member Posts: 15
    I just installed a new "Access" tonneau cover this weekend. The install was quick and easy. The fit and finish is great. I am pleased (so far) with this product. It works great with the plastic liner that came with my truck.
  • Options
    Is this the Access 'Roll-up' cover? The regular vinyl type tonneau cover that slides to the front and rolls up behind the cab on TOP of the rails? If so, do you have the Limited version (all black aluminum hardware) and any pricing you can share with us?
  • Options
    Yes, your description is accurate, that is the cover I have. I purchased it online from a dealer link on the Access site. (I am not sure of the address) I paid $440.99 for the "limited" version(all black hardware). The dealer was throwing in shipping, and taking a small percent discount for online orders. It was shipped when promised, and arrived in (1) box.

I washed my truck after installing the cover and found a small amount of water in the tailgate area.

My wife has no problems dealing with this cover. It seems like a very slick design. All the guys at work think it is very cool!!
  • Options
    bsparxbsparx Member Posts: 84
    Anyone do an aftermarket rear slider yet? Has anyone found one which opens wider than the OEM? I'm used to full-size trucks with 2 sliding pieces, where you can crawl into the back when camping, etc. or to check your sleeping kids at the drive-in. I have a leer cap, and the window opening is bigger than on the Dakota. With such a short bed, its also nice to poke things up into the cab so they don't stick too far out the back, and the bigger the opening, the better...skis, surfboards, etc. Any ideas? Thanks, as always.
    Ben
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    I had a Manik Euroguard grill/brush guard installed this morning on my Quad, as well as one for my bride's 4 Runner. Burlington Truck in Burlington, NJ did a great job at a very fair price. The Manik guards were on sale for $359.95 and the installation was $44.00. Another place near me wanted $465.00 plus installation. They showed the same sales flyer but said it only applied to certain models. They look great, and thanks to tjump I was able to see how they would appear on my truck. Thanks again tjump for your profound, astute and quick response.

Bookitty
  • Options
    tjumptjump Member Posts: 14
    bookitty:

Glad the guards worked out.

> profound, astute and quick response

I'll take the last two, but I feel my skull inflating a little bit at the former. I'm just glad I could give-back to you, considering how much you give to the rest of us. ;^)

On unrelated news, we've a new kitten in the house, check out the early shots here if you're interested: http://www.tertius.com/TheJumps/cats/index.html (follow the link for Mystery for new info)

-Ted
  • Options
    bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    #1 Did that Manik come as a 1 piece?
    #2 How was it shipped?(shipping cost)
    #3 What is your take on the strength?
    #4 I know Manik mounts to the frame but how do you think it would fair with a winch?
    Ok 1 more,Did you go with the black W/Amber Fire or Chrome?
    P.S. Feel free to send or post some pictures if you find some time.
    Allen-
  • Options
    Ted, your photos and story are beautiful. You have a good heart. My kitty is Boo (hence the screen name). You should send the story and photos to Cats Magazine. I don't have an issue here, as I send them to our friend's children. It's nice that you and Maria have given the "kids" a wonderful safe home.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Allen, I believe that the guard came as one piece, from the size of the carton. The unit was priced @ $359.95 landed, $44.00 for installation and of course sales tax (6%) for the Governor. The dealer installed it in about 1.25 hours, and that included waxing it. I ordered the black, but cannot post photos as I do not have a digital camera. tjump posted great photos, and they are enlargeable so that one can see the guard and it was from these that I made my decision. The dealer told me that Manik produces the strongest guard among the popular manufacturers. I believe that themacguy has also commented favorably in regard to Manik. Allen, I don't know where you would mount the winch unless they offer an accessory mounting plate. It looks to be a very strong unit, heavier than the Smittybilt and some others on display. This dealer usually charges $399.95 but they had a sale flyer (usually a group of stores use the same flyer but have their name etc. imprinted)showing the guard at the above pricing, mentioning an Explorer, and two other vehicles. The first dealer I went to in my area told me that the sale price was relegated only to the three listed applications. They were at $416.00 regularly plus installation of about $75.00. Quadratec sells them on the Internet for $359.95, plus $24.95 shipping if my memory serves me correctly. I felt that this was a good deal and so we had them installed on both vehicles. My wife's 4 Runner looks great because of the height and rake of the guard over the contour of her SUV.
    When you drive her car the top of the guard is visible and gives you a good fix on where the nose of the vehicle is. Thus far we are happy with our purchase, and with the dealer as well. Although this dealer is in NJ, they are just across the river and are very convenient to us.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Al - did I sense some 'drool' (or near drool) in post 124?
    boo - that's the longest post I can remember from you in a [non-permissible content removed]'s age. You guys really get into this aftermaket stuff.
  • Options
    Jack, I thought Bonnie Rick was the "monitor" for this page. Allen has been preoccupied by trying to figure out how to get the water out that has been collecting in his bed liner. It's simple Allen. Wait two more weeks, and it will freeze. Then simply lift it out with a spatula and put it on the beer.

Bookitty
  • Options
    Your input was helpful.Manik it will be,soon I hope.Your price seems to be a good one. It's on par with the Quadratec Essentials price list. If I can't muster up your deal maybe I'll go with them,(they do have a mount plate for the winch)their winch plate is like $129.00 ish.

Jack: You have to love the After market stuff. To me it personalizes my rig, its only money right?LOL.

Norman: I like your solution to my "lake in my bed liner" problem. Trouble is I can't drink THAT much beer..
    I don't know maybe I'll just drill a couple of holes.."Ouch"

Off topic sorry: Its to bad you don't have a camera I'd like to see some pictures of Boo. Cats are cool..I have a Ragdoll his name is "Odie". Really its my wifes, strange animals in a good way.
    Allen-Out of the closet cat owner.
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Haven't done anything yet so no harm in looking into Hitch Hand. Sounds like it extends the bed of the truck another 8 feet. I'll check it out.
  • Options
    96g1196g11 Member Posts: 88
    Hay Allen, I found one!
    Check this out. www.performanceaccessories.com I e-mailed them for availability of a body lift for the quad. They replied not only with the part number (60043) but with 3 really good pix of a patriot blue quad with the lift installed. Looks great. I know yours is 4x4 but mine is 2x4. I was going to use the fabtech kit but I would need to but new wheels with different backspacing, (ouch in the pocketbook and I just really like the stock feet) well I just want to run 31 or 32 inch tires to be able to drive in deeper water and over small curbs. With the lsd 3.92 diff the 4.7 shouldn't really notice the bigger tires much. That is why I opted for the 3.92 in the first place.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link I'll e-mail them now. Hope to see them pictures they have.

It was smart of you to go with the 3.92.. 31" tires would put you at about a 3.55 so it shouldn't be a problem.
    My 3.55 will be the only thing I regret when it comes down to lifting my rig... "33-35" tires will put me around 3.20, not a good ratio.
    The only good thing is the gas mileage right now. I should have planned a little better for the future..Live and learn.
    Allen-
  • Options
    astaasta Member Posts: 122
    macguy and kmenne re post #120 - checked out the access roll-up cover on their website. link to online dealer is www.realtruck.com. Kind of confusing when you go check out an order and photos as they don't specifically list the quad cab box length. price was around $440 for the all black hardware and that included the internet discount. I downloaded the mounting instructions as a pdf file from the same site and the mounting looks pretty easy. However as I read through it I noticed at the end that they said: "the cover does not precent moisture and dust from entering the box. special wrapping of box contents may be neccessary"

okay - then why buy it???? I'm really not particularly convinced that it's anywhere near "waterproof" as they tout on their website. says it hold heavy snowdrifts without collapsing or tearing, and that may be so. however when all that snow melts it might head straight for the box! maybe kmenne has some thoughts on this. They also say in the fine print at the bottom of the manual that the cover will not prevent theft and never to store anything of valuable inside the box. i.e. a good swiss army knife might be able to cut open the vinyl top and bye-bye tools or whatever. this is the only other roll-up I have encountered besides the Pace Edwards one. Anybody else out there know of any other brands I can compare?
  • Options
    lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Have you looked at the roll-n-lock?
  • Options
    lmeyer1 - is that the same model as the Pace Edwards Roll-Top or is it a different manufacturer. Do you have a website for that one?
  • Options
    I bought the cover for appearance, easy roll up design (no snaps or fussy clips to deal with). I would not pretend to say that it is waterproof or theft proof!! It is however very quick to get off. I am a volunteer firefighter and keep my turnout gear back there on lots of occasions, and I can quickly (in the dark) get the cover out of my way.
    When I wash my truck, the only water that seems to come in is around the tailgate area, and it is minimal/tolerable.
    You certainly can purchase less expensive tops, and complete locking lid systems. I have a friend who has the locking "rollup" type cover for his full size Ford, and he really likes it. Maybe that is the route for you.

I feel that this is a good cover for my needs. The design is neat, and I am anticipating a long service life from it.
  • Options
    thanks kmenne for the feedback. The cover is very sharp-looking and it does look like and easy on/off, both of which appeal to me. Beacuse I go to the mountains a lot, I'd like to have something as waterproof as possible. Maybe none of them are really "waterproof". I have another question on that cover - can you roll it halfway back, have gear sticking out of the bed and the cover will stay in place? Or does the cover have to go against the cab with those locking straps to stay put? Also does your friend have the Pace-Edwards roll-up? I just checked their website and that one looks interesting, although it seems to cut off some of the effective bedspace. thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    I believe the Roll-n-lock is made by a different manufacturer.

http://www.rollnlock.com/
  • Options
    My usage is similar to kmenne's: I use it in the oilfield, where I have to have something somewhat dust resistant - I haven't seen rain for some months here - and that covers OVER a velcroed to the bed-liner Rubbermaid locking 'toolbox'
    AND has very quick access features. My other concern is drilling - I simply will do anything to avoid drilling holes in this thing. Remember the old 70 model Cudas and Challengers? I have one that didn't have any holes in the rear deck (wing) or butchered interior panels (stereo stuff). To me this is a priceless find (1970 model Challenger 340/Slapstick for $12k vs. the 440 RT that was only $11k but had the wing, stereo holes, etc.), that is, one without all the 'holes.' Maybe the same for the Quad someday, who knows? My access to the bed with my snapless design LeBra cover ($179) is OK, but the thing requires some effort (and patience) in getting the slits lined up for closing, whereas the Access Roll-up has the velcro-type quick (REALLY quick) closure ability, plus a flatter 'look' than my bowed-up or 'humped look.'

Anyway, I find the regular vinyl-type (mine is a LeBra) roll-up superior in my daily use to the OEM Gullwing lid I have, or the fold-a-cover that I considered. I'm quite sure they - ANY hard lids - are better covers (particularly if you live in LA, as asta does), but I'll be darned if this Access roll-up doesn't look to be pretty good for us working types out in the sticks. A bit pricey, but hey, have you priced all the (admittedly better) hard lids? And the access to a front mounted toolbox with softer 'look' of the vinyl, plus the flutter resistance (aka flat look) over my LeBra is most appealing to an old throwback to the 70's like me. I'm going to seriously consider it, and soon. As my post way back will attest to, I am willing to try many different things (while oil prices are higher; my income as well) on this truck and report the results here. If ONE of those results helps ANY of you avoid a costly mistake, then higher pump prices for fuel will be a 'little' more palatable to you - I hope.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention I need the 6-8" the roll-n-locks take up in the bed - just me, probably not many other folks. But since the roll-n-locks have room below them, most people would never notice, Plus they have superior strength and vastly superior security features for not much more $$$ than the vinyl roll-ups. I'm not quite sure about noise and cleaning, but they look good in person, at least when newer. I wonder how long ANY vinyl type cover will last. Sorry for the extra post. :-)
  • Options
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 3 inch body lift kit today throuth 4 Wheel Parts. Cost $189.95 plus tax. should be here middle of next week. I will let Ya'll know how it goes. I also made a bed extender today. I just used 3/4 inch emt conduit (I have my own bender but one could be borowed). Took about 2 hours to cut/bend/weld it all together. I must say I am impressed. My first attempt at such fabrication (been dying to try out my new craftsman 110v wire feed welder). I used commonly available emt hardware and the total cost was $28.50 plus electricity of course. Yes I am Mr. frugal.
  • Options
    macguy - as usual you make excellent points and I found by the end of reading your post that I was ready to buy the access cover! I did go and check out the roll-n-lock website and the product does look superior to the pace-edwards - much cleaner and more simple, without any drilling involved. Since my first vehicle was a 65 Mustang 289, with a 66 instrument panel that had been rewired because of an electrical fire, I know whereof you speak. I like all my vehicles as stock and clean as possible, even a truck that you're going to customize to some degree. But I ain't gonna drill holes in my bed either! Not for a cover that might not even last me more than a few years (I'm tough on my truck beds). Anyways, the roll-n-lock looks best for me but I'm really stuck on this 8" or so of bedspace I lose with that and the pace-edwards. the dak quad bed is short enough as it is and it seems downright freakish to lose any more space. does the acess cover eliminate any space at the join to the cab? How exactly does it stay in place anyway?? BTW: couldn't gauge a price from the roll-n-lock website or even a dealer to buy it from. anybody know dollars and sense on this product?
  • Options
    livnlrnlivnlrn Member Posts: 76
    My first post here. I have a '00 Quad 4x4 w/flares. I have the molded mud gaurds for the front but can't find any for the rear that are the same, any help? Also, has anyone gotten the molded floor mats from Fox? There weatherboots? I got them but am disappointed in the fit, any other suggestions to keep all the Vermont snow off my floors?
  • Options
    regarding partial open cover staying in place.. Just yesterday I went on a fire run, and upon getting done with the task at hand and putting my gear back in my truck, I left the scene and drove back to work (3 miles) with my cover open about 1/2 way.. it stayed in place and was fine!! I am sure the top is not designed for this, but for short distances at resonable speeds you would probably be OK..

I am not sure of the brand of my friends roll up cover.

You should check out themaguys shoot out of various covers somewhere in this area, he really has done his homework on the topic!!
  • Options
    Themacguy said something on an eariler post I think you must have missed it..Its TUFF on the eyes...No offense.

96g11: I'm glad to hear you ordered the body lift. Can't wait to see some pictures and see how it goes..I did e-mail them they said it would take the average Joe 2 days to fully install. Good luck to you.
    Allen-
  • Options
    iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Mr Frugal. Lets see $28.50 parts, maybe $1.00 for electricity, 20% profit = $5.70. Thats $35.20, allow 14.80 for shipping and handling. I'll get you a check in the mail for $50. Does the bed extender come painted to match or will I have to do that?? Rick
  • Options
    nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    Hope you have better luck getting your order from 4 Wheel Parts. I ordered (and paid for)a tonneau covered from them Aug. 4th and was told 10-14 days. Checked in after two weeks and they said the truck comes every monday from CA. Week later I asked them to check status of tonneau. "Folks in CA lost the order". I am promised it will be on next weeks truck.....

Find out when "their truck leaves the warehouse in CA" and make sure your parts are on the truck.

Cursed!
  • Options
    IOABIGGUY
    Gee, tempting but I will have to think about that one. It was a lot of work but worth it for me.

NORTX01QC
    sorry to hear bout your problem w 4 Wheel Parts. I have used them (Houston store) many times with good results. The sales guy at 4 wheel said the parts would be shipped direct from Performance Parts to my door. I hope it works out. By the way, what kind of tonneau did you order, that is next on my wish list....or maybee I can learn to sew..hhmmmm...Oh great here we go again!
  • Options
    myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    FYI- I ordered the molded mudflaps for my 4x2 Quad with Flares, back in January (approx $39/set). I recently removed them and installed a set of rubber mud flaps, using the existing holes that were set up to install the originals. In fact, prior to actually attaching OEM molded flaps, I thought they set too low to the ground. I even contacted the dealer to ensure I had the correct units for the 2wheel drive.

As I mentioned, I found that the molded rigid mudflaps set too low to the ground and was always hitting a parking curb, or a concrete stop. I even hit the bottom edge when in the woods, while navigating through some pretty deep holes. Also, being rigid, I was concerned about tearing up the fender flares, as they are also attached to the flares too. The rear flaps ground clearance was about 5 1/2", with no additional weight in the vehicle. The fronts approached 6" which was better.

I installed a set of 10"x14" rubber mudflaps and find that they look pretty decent. More importantly, I raised the mud flap ground clearance to 7" and also have the "forgiveness" of the rubber (not so with rigid plastic) to offer some relief even if I do happen to rub up against, or "bottom out" against something
  • Options
    myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    I just measured the ground clearance of my replacement rubber mud-flaps- The front is at 8" and the rear is at 9 1/4"
  • Options
    rhyswfrhyswf Member Posts: 16
    Just FYI

Installed Hidden Hitch Model 87554 on new 2001 Quad.

Perfect fit with no drilling. Well hidden under bumper. Basically can only see the reciever portion when behind truck

Rhys
  • Options
    spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I had molded flaps on a Dodge Caravan and knocked the back ones off a few times backing into parking spots during the winter. If I went back too far I'd hit the snow that was built up there and off came the flap. Drove off one time not knowing it was off.

I agree with the flexibility of rubber flaps and your ability to place them high or low and flush or protruding out a bit. Got used to having flaps all around after 25 years of owning Volvos.
  • Options
    victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    I got a pair of steps for my truck but they mount using the bolts that hold the cab to the frame. I get way too much flexing on this bolt. Feels like I'll break the step off. I'm going to try to make a bracket for better mounting. Anyone have suggestions, or even better, pics of some sturdy mounts. Thanks.
  • Options
    Which ones did you buy? I have the Westin ones that also mount to the body bolt which is attached to the frame. I can tell you that this brand is VERY sturdy if installed properly.I go 215 lbs and they don't flex a bit when I stand on them..As far as pictures, I do have some that show them on but no close ups of under truck.I do have the directions downloaded and would be happy to send them if you like..
    Allen-
  • Options
    victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    The steps I bought were Mid America Auto Parts (MAAP). I have a buddy who works at a dealership and gets aftermarket parts at cost, but I didn't get to chose the brand.

I did check out the Westin website and downloaded their installation guide. I think the brackets they gave me just sucked. I'm going to try and weld some brackets to the frame so I don't have to use the body mount bolts.
  • Options
    ole3ole3 Member Posts: 14
    I will be picking up my 01 Dakota Quad 4x,
    4.7, 5 speed in six weeks or less !

I've seen the Leer canopy (bed cap) and I think
    it looks kinda goofy. The only other canopy brand
    I've seen on a quad is a SnugTop, which I thought
    looked much better than the Leer.

Any thoughts/comments/inputs about canopy types
    and availability for quads would be greatly
    appreciated.
    Thank You !
  • Options
    newquadnewquad Member Posts: 33
    Check out A.R.E for bed caps. They are very good quality and I learned about them from this topic list. The CX model is very nice. I will be getting one for my truck. Their website is www.4are.com
  • Options
    Ole, I have the A.R.E. LSII and love it. This is my second experience with A.R.E. and the lifting system is even better than before although I experienced no difficulty with it. There is or was
    a $20.00 coupon available on their web site. This cover is secure, dry and very well constructed as well as painted to match the finish precisely.

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.