Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Club Cab

bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Dodge
for you!

Bonnie Rick
Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall

Comments

• andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    My club cab still hasn't grown - it's still a club, not a Quad ;-)

Home at last!!
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Andy, it's not your truck that needs to grow up!

Bookitty

PS Glad that the Dakota regular and club cab owners finally are finally being recognized.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    and I always thought he was one of us (Quad) guys. Once again, sorry for the delay. Looking forward to some different stuff in here. %-)
  • willywillwillywill Member Posts: 18
    about time "we" have our own place to chat
  • fl_actorfl_actor Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2000 Club cab with the v6. It has 2800 miles on in now and I'm extrememly unhappy with the way it idles. It shakes the truck. I've had it back to the service department 3 times now. I'm told it's normal. Service manager says they all do it and showed me a 2001 as an example. I can't believe they would market an engine like this. Any one else have a similar experience? I'd like to know. I've already written DaimlerChrysler yesterday....
    Did you test drive a somewhat similar model before you bought/ordered/whatever the one you now have? Did it do the same thing? Surely not... you might bring that up... anyway, look at the injector issue, PLUS, you might take it out somewhere that it's totally dark and pop the hood and look to see if any plug wires are 'leaking.' Just a thought. And what type of fuel are you using? Try a tank or two of Chevron and maybe a can of Techron (sold by Chevron) in the tank as well. It'd clean up anything like deposits or carbon, etc. Good luck.
  • mike183mike183 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Dakota 2000, 4x4 with the new 4.7
    liter V-8 in January 2000. The vehicle is a great
    truck in every respect except one, gas mileage.
    About the best I've been able to get, unloaded and
    on the freeway at 65mph is 16.4 mpg. Since I have
    two friends with Chevy, Z-71, 4x4 pickups with
    larger engines that get better gas mileage I'm
    somewhat perplexed. The Chevy's weigh more than the Dakota and they have a larger engine. About the only thing I can come up with is the gear ratio in differential match up with the engine torque. To my knowledge Dakota only has two options for differential gearing, 3.58 or 3.9?, mine has a 3.58.I believe th Chevy's have a 3.47. Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar disappointment or has any suggestions to improve the mileage. Getting a Chevy is not an option as I really like this truck.
  • bcarter3bcarter3 Member Posts: 145
    is confused and confusing. I ordered a 2001 Club Cab on Sept 6. Called DC on Sept 13 and was told it was scheduled for build the first of Oct. Called today and was told that my truck was shipped on the 20th. Confirmed with the dealer. Not complaining, just confused.

I have some questions regarding the Mopar seat covers. The parts dept could not determine what the catalog meant by "3 Piece". They do not seem to have separate numbers for bucket and split-bench. Do the same covers fit both? From past posts I had the impression that the seats were different widths. I ordered a set but I'M not sure they will fit.
  • ddefonceddefonce Member Posts: 6
    I wish I could get 16.4 mgp like mike183 does on the highway. I do almost strictly city driving with my '00 4wd club cab and I'm lucky to get 11(!). The 4.7L in traffic is really bad, but I've gotten around 18 mpg on the highway traveling at 65 mph. I imagine putting a cover on the bed would give you a couple miles more. I use only 87 octane, I don't think switching to 89 would help any.

Here's a good question maybe someone can help with: how large is the gas tank supposed to be? When my low gas indicator turns on and I fill it, I put about 16 1/2 gallons in. If I run it down to empty, I put a little over 18 gallons in. I was under the impression the 4wd Dakota came with a 22 gallon tank, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    I have a tough time trying to top off my CC. I think the plumbing/venting fill tube for the gas tank is poorly designed. After the flow shutoff sensors trip I can still get in another 3-4 gallons - a painfully l-o-n-g process. That may be why your only able to get 18 gals. in when empty - it's still a few gals. away from a top-off. BTW, I wouldn't expect much more than a 1 mpg improvement with a tonneau and that at highway speeds - these trucks LOVE their fuel!
    David, the fuel tank capacity on the 2000 Dakota Club Cab is 24 U.S. Gallons, the same as the Quad. Your mileage sounds poor, and I agree with Willie that a tonneau cover will make little or no difference in city driving. My 4.7, 4X4, 3.55 LSD with 5 speed averages 17-18 mixed (some traffic but not rush hour stop and go). I have an A.R.E. LSII fiber glass lid and I know that it helps with
    the road mileage. My trips to the New Jersey shore
    yield around 20 MPG (relatively flat terrain, cruise control and few stops). How many miles are logged on your odometer? Maybe it will improve.

Bookitty
    From the top:

Tonneau covers make about a 9% reduction in drag - I have posted the scientific study a few times in various topics. As previously noted the affect of drag in city driving is reduced. 11 mph is lousy - I have a 2000 Club 4.7 and have never been that low. Most of my driving is highway, but whenever the traffic is snarled (have you ever seen the 401!!!) there is similarity with city driving, and I have never seen anything below about 14 - I do drive stick and I am sure that helps.

Filling the tank is always a problem on pick ups because the tank is mounted on the centre line below the bed and so there is a long straight fill tube that slopes down to it. Pumps cutting out is often caused by the gas swirling around in the tube and hitting the cut out sensor. The location of the vent on the Dakota doesn't help any. My Canadian capacity is 82 litres, I have in fact put more than that in on one occasion.

The 4.7 is designed to run on 87 octane. One fo the main design requirements for this engine was that it would run on regular gas, and there is no advantage to running higher octanes. In high mileage engines there may eventually be a need to go to 89, but I doubt any Dakotas are there yet.
  • eglideeglide Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Club Cab with the 4.7, auto, 3.92, and full time 4WD. The worst I get is 14 city. As far as the octane goes I get the same gas mileage running 87 octane as I do with 89. I end up running 89 quite a bit, as here in Nebraska it is actually cheaper than 87!. Of course that is a 10% ethanol blend.
  • deckdog1deckdog1 Member Posts: 8
    I broke out one third of my sliding rear window on my 99 dakota club cab. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement section or will I have to replace the whole slider?
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    Your truck's milage does seem quite a bit out of wack compared to what others are reporting.There might be a cure for this though. Based on your truck's build date, it may be you need a flash upgrade for your ECM. It has been mentioned before in one of the other boards, but I don't remember which one. You might want to investigate this with your dealer.
    I thought I was getting bad mileage, and from your responses it seems like I was right. What is meant by 'ECM' that tuvtest refers to? I don't know anything about getting a flash upgrade; is this something I should look into? I only have 2700 miles on my truck, but 11 mpg is pretty horrible even for the break in period.

As for the gas tank, if it gets capped off at 18 gallons, but has room for a few gallons more, why does the fuel gauge register full? Assuming a 22 gallon tank, the fuel gauge should be at about 80% full after the pump cuts out at 18. I wish this made more sense.
    Forgive me if I oversimplify this.

The ECM is bascially a small computer that controls various elements of your engine's operation. The Technical Service Bulletin that was issued authorizes the dealer to upgrade the software in the computer to correct some defects. This is known as a flash upgrade. It is possible that your bad fuel economy is caused by this software problem and the upgrade will help.

As far as gas gauges are concerned there is a lot of confusion. The standard guage (or gage for my southern neighbours (neighbors)) of any manufacturer will always read above full when the tank is full to the brim. If the needle is directly on the full mark it means 'pretty full tank but you can get more in if you want'. Why do they do this - I have no idea. Incidentally the same thing happens at the other end of the guage - but take my word for it, don't try it!!!
    I thought the reg and clubs had a 22 gallon tank. At least that's what was posted on the 2000 models I looked at before I bought my Quad, with its 24 gallon job - figuring Dodge thought it would make up the range differential for its weight penalty. we also have a R/C in the company fleet, and it only holds 22 gallons. Are there different tanks available w/i each separate model available?
    I got this from the NHTSA web site by searching for 2000 Dodge Dakota TSBs. This is the only thing I could find that might be related to gas mileage for my truck. I'm pretty sure the 45RFE transmission refers to the automatic for the 4.7L V8. I thought I read somewhere on Edmunds that the "driver learning" software may need to be updated. I guess I'm just going to call my dealer and ask why I'm only getting 11 mpg when everyone else seems to be able to get 14 in city driving.

Service Bulletin Number: 211399
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 795
    Date of Bulletin: 9909
    NHTSA Item Number: SB607962
    Make: DODGE TRUCK
    Model: DAKOTA
    Year: 2000
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:OTHER PARTS
    Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING DRIVE LEARN PROCEDURES FOR 45RFE TRANSMISSIONS. *TT
    Jack, I just accessed www.4adodge.com and the printable specification sheet definitely shows the
    Quad Sport and SLT as having 24 gallon tanks while
    all other models are relegated to the 22 gallon tank. This is for 2001 models. Sorry for the error, as I trusted the information supplied by my brochure.

Bookitty
  • gsagnewgsagnew Member Posts: 10
    Presently own a 2000 Dakota Club, 4.7 Litre, auto. It seems I remember reading earlier messages about the use of Mobil 1 (5W30 or 10W30??) resulting in an improvement in gas mileage. Does anyone know about this? Also, I live down here in South Florida, and when I questioned the Dodge service department on the viscosity oil to use in my 4.7 L engine, they thought I was crazy to ask for 5W30 at my first oil change. Afterall the owners manual was pretty specific in mentioneing that 5W30 is the "preferred" viscosity.

Any comments on the use of Mobil 1 and which viscosity of lil is best for the 4.7L down here in South Florida???
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    I'm in Georgia and use 5W30 Mobil 1. My fuel economy improved slightly but with only 3000 miles, who's to say it's terribly accurate. Besides, it's an excuse to work on the truck, and there's no way that Dodge is touching the truck unless it's a warrantee issue. Just save receipts and fill out the service interval in the manual to maintain your warrantee coverage.
    Thanks for the response. I will probably switch over to the Mobil 1 5W30 at my next oil change. I have heard that it does improve performance and mileage. At today's cost of fuel any improvement in mileage will help!
  • kwanderikwanderi Member Posts: 33
    I currently have almost 12,000 miles and have used Mobil 1 5W30 since about 4000 miles. My 4.7 auto started out at about 16 MPG and am currently up to 18.5 to 19.5. This is mostly commuting @ 65-70 MPH, (only one stoplight just before I get to work). Who can say if Mobil 1 made a difference or not? I just know I feel better for putting in the best.

Oh, and this is in Phoenix where summer temps averaged 110+ this year. Winter is almost upon us and the temps will soon be PLUNGING into the 70's.

Keith
  • ksticklekstickle Member Posts: 1
    My trip computer shows 17.2 mpg avg on my 2000 Dak CC 4x4 4.7l 5speed w/ LSD. I've got about 5k miles on now w/ about 80% hwy driving at 65-75mph. Most of the time I use 87 octane Exxon gas. Overall mileage is about what I expected - not great, but not horrendous either. I really like the that new 4.7l - what a sweet engine.
  • nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    If there is anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area looking for a black tonneau cover, you should be able to get a very good deal on one from 4 Wheel Parts. They have one in their warehouse that I will bet they would like to move out. If you want more info, post and I will fill you in.
  • tronsrtronsr Member Posts: 46
    HOW ABOUT SOME COMMENTS ON THE NEW FORD ESCAPE. I JUST ORDERED AN XLT V6 LOADED ECEPT FOR MOONROOF AND TOW PACK. YAHOO HAS A LOT OF INPUT INTO THEIR CLUB. HOW ABOUT THE EDMUNDS TOWN HALL READERS. PLEASE POST THE ABOVE.THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF COMMENTS UNDER THE S.U.V. TOPIC BUT SHOULDN'T WE HAVE OUR OWN CLUB?
  • rustorusto Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the delay on the windshield wipers.On my 2000 the delay period seems to be working erraticly. Sometimes it's fine,sometimes delay control does not work and wipers activate every couple seconds no matter where it is set. Small problem and otherwise I am happy with the truck. 4wd Club Cab ,4.7 , auto trans., Gas mileage seems to be between 14-15 in mostly city driving. Only have about 1,500 mls. so far.Hope to see a small increase.
  • crimpcrimp Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Dakota with auto-transmission.
    When selecting reverse it will intermittently act like it is in neutral. We have been back to the dealership 6 times - they can not duplicate. They have replaced the shift cable and module. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
    I have the 2000 Club, 4.7L Auto, HD Cooling vehicle. Live in South Fla. Truck built in June 00, took delivery end of July. Just turned off the AC and turned on the heat for the very first time (just had our first cool snap). Noticed that the engine sounds different and the idle appears to be slower with the AC off and the fan directed to the "feet" position. Is this anything to be concerned about? Is the computer adjusting the engine speed since this is the first time the AC was turned off and the heat turned on. Anyone else noticed this?
    In simple terms the a/c is driven by a gas motor. Any setting that involves the compressor running (a/c and window defrost) will require the engine to rev higher to power the compressor. With heat to your feet the compressor is off and the engine idle drops as a result. You will also notice marginally better gas mileage with the a/c off.

Nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal.
    Thanks for your reply concerning the drop in engine rpm when ac is off and heat is on. Certainly makes sense.

gsagnew
  • bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    I have had the truck since February, and it now has about 5k miles on it. It seems I have the same minor complaints about the 2000 club. I have never been able to put more than 18 gallons of gas in it. I am thinking about carrying a gas can and see wear empty really is on the gas gauge. Gas mileage has stayed the same since day one at 17.25 mpg. 3.9 rear, 5 spd., sport plus, payload package. I also noticed int. wipers acting weird when the truck was new. I think this problem went away. Hard to tell tough because it has been so dry. I had to replace the int. wiper module on my 92 Dakota ($40), but the wipers failed to operate when left on for more than a couple of minutes in the int. mode. One last complaint - I don't care for fly-by wire throtle. Or the software controlling it. I want the the engine to provide more breaking power when I let off the gas. With the camper on coming out of the mountains, the software controlling the engine is too slow to resound when I let up on the gas. It's almost 15 seconds before the fast engine idles slows - and when it finally slows, it's very noticeable. I don't know why the engine idle is higher when coasting to a stop in neutral than when the truck is stopped.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Probably because of the long tank, you still have 4-6 gallons left. I was running at empty for many miles on one trip and only put 18 gallons in. On the bright side, it is much better to not let you tank get too low before filling.
    Steve, when you are on the road it is important to have sufficient fuel. That way, when your wife asks if you are lost you can reply: "Hell no!, I'm not lost, I still have fuel"!

Bookitty
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
  • supra75supra75 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dakota with the 3.9 v-6,club cab,with automatic transmission.I have been back to the dealer three times with a whistling noise in the rear of the truck traveling between 45 and 55 and with your foot off the throttle.The first time they rebuilt the rear.That was good for about a week.The second time they changed the entire rear axle.That was good for about two weeks.Then the third time I was told that Dodge was putting heavier gears,like racing gears,in their trucks and there was nothing else to be done.They said they tested a newer Dakota and they said it did the same thing.I asked if it would affect my lease and they said no.The noise occurs with the window closed and the radio off.If anyone else has this problem please let me know.
    Jared, two (2) thoughts. If your rear axle has limited slip function, a friction modifier must be added to the lubricant (hypoid) or special lubricant must be used.

The second thought, is that I experienced that type of noise with my 1995 Dakota Club Cab. It turned out to be an airstream noise that was generated by the rear slider. When coasting, it was much more apparent. The top mounted handle on my A.R.E. LSII tonneau made a whooshing sound as well, when the rear slider was open. Hope this helps.

Bookitty
  • bobsyveebobsyvee Member Posts: 63
    This was mentioned many times in some of the Dakota forums. I remember seeing a post, that the fix was accomplished by the dealer only after he obtained special tools and adjustment information from DC. I'm guessing that a few (thousands???)rear axles supplied to DC weren't assembled correctly.
    I know that straight cut gears in a race tranny will whine simply because they do. Rear axle gears should be quiet. Noise = wear

JimH
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (bja4) The Dakota has a throttle cable.

I can relate to your concerns about the engine seeming to not decellerate as you command it. As you surmise, it is related to the ECM turning off the injectors at what seems odd times. I find going very slow in 1st gear (standard xmission) to be virtually impossible to perform smoothly. The throttle pedal is almost like an ON/OFF switch under those condiditons.

As for engine compression during decel...
    The 4.7L engine will not not have the decel... compression that the ol' 318 it replaced had. The valve overlap and timings as defined by the cam profile is very different on the 4.7L V8 hemi.
  • biggreddbiggredd Member Posts: 2
    I have 2000 Dakota club cab with a 4.7 liter engine. The day after I received it the front end squeeked and creaked underneath anytime I hit any little bump or uneven surface. I took in to the dealer three times before they finally replaced the sway bar bushings. This fix lasted two months before the squeeky/creaky noise returned. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you have any suggestions?
  • wetwilliewetwillie Member Posts: 129
    Sounds like (oops) the noise is directly related to the sway bar bushings. If you believe that (I would), switch to polyurethane bushings. Their much better performing (they distort less and are less affected by temp. changes than are the stock rubber ones)and have less surface stiction - the cause of the squeaks. They're cheap too (~10 bucks)
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    If I recall, don't most vehicles have a fuel reserve? When the needle reads "E", there is probably a reserve of nearly 4 gallons (I'm guessing). That's a good way to avoid running out of gas, assuming that the next gas staion will be within the next 60-70 miles. Also, I've been told it's not a good idea to run on low fuel due to premature wear on electric fuel pumps.

Just a thought.....
    John, I don't know if it is actually a "fuel tank reserve", but most vehicles have the fuel quantity
    gauge set to be on the "safe" side of empty. On some vehicle I have owned were reading empty, the fill came out around 4.5 to 5 gallons shy of maximum capacity. Of course now, the fuel light comes on at about 1/8 tank of fuel remaining. There is usually some margin.

Bookitty
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    The "premature wear" you heard about is really overheating. Modern in-tank electric fuel pumps use the liquid gas to help cool the pump. That alone should be enough reason to not run a tank too low. Overheating electric pump... sealed tank of explosive fumes/liquid... can you say: BOOM. Seriously, the pump shouldn't get THAT hot but, it may burn out if it is run dry for too long.
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    Yeah, I didn't feel the need to elaborate, but I think it might have something to do with the decreased/decreasing amount of gravity feed, too. The pump simply has to work harder to achieve the same result.
  • ck_81ck_81 Member Posts: 4
    hi, i am looking to buy a 1997-1998 Dakota early next spring, but i wanted to hear the pros and cons on each model from the people who own them. i.c. engine size, trim line, etc. thanks for all your help!!
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    You have left too much out to allow much assistance in helping you with your choice. How many people do you need to haul? What ages? Towing? primary uses? From my perspective, I would suggest that you seriously look at a 2000 model this fall. You can get some terrific deals if you look now. The main advantage of buying a new one is the 4.7 engine. Almost everyone will agree that it is excellent and will get you the best performance and gas mileage. Also, if it suites your needs, the Quad cab is super.
    sorry, i'll try to give a few more details...usually i will just have myself and one other person, so i don't need the room of a quad, but i do want the club cab...it would be rare that i would carry anyone under 10. I probably wouldn't tow much more than a jet ski, boat or four-wheeler trailer. I would like to stay around a 97 or 98 so i can afford to add some accesories. The V8 would be nice, but from what i've read, the 5.1 drinks gas too fast. i was thinking about the 3.9 V6--- it wouldn't be used for much more than driving around town, but every now and then, I want to go into the pass and camp/take my 4-wheeler, etc.....thanks for any help you can give!
    my bad...i guess the V8 is a 5.2....
This discussion has been closed.