Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's more than plopping it in I think. For one thing you'll need a rear end most likely.

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I'm sure there'll other needed tag-alongs.
    I'll see how things pan out.

-Dave
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I too like the new Legacy steering wheel; but I also like the new Forester steering wheel too, especially over the outgoing steering wheel.

Bob
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    Ed, you sound like me! I've had 3 left knee surgeries ..the first 2 in 80 and 81 for a football injury and the last in 99 when I mis-counted coming down a set of stairs with a wet 2 yo in my arms...stepped off into nothingness and came down hard on the left foot...blew out everything. With diagnostic MRI for knees and better arthroscopic techniques, its amazing how much they can repair and re-build with relatively little damage to surrounding tissues. Now I always carry a bottle of ibuprofen in the car and justify the clutch as ongoing "therapy".
       I say shift while you still can!( Although I have to admit to leaving open the possibility of a 5EAT w sport shift in a new LGT or OBXT).

Mark
  • Options
    zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Juice,

That was me. (That was myself?) (That was I?)

Zman
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Just trying to convince myself that I prefer the current steering wheel since that's what I have. :-) Maybe that'll be another mod if I really like it.

-Dennis
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    You are at what I call the teeter totter point of ownership, do I trade or sell the sucker while it still has value, if you keep it any longer you may as well keep it till the wheels fall off.

Actually they have statistics proving that the best way to get full value for what you paid is to keep a car for at least ten years.

I used to trade every three years, but then I thought screw this, I am taking the maximum hit in depreciation, plus somebody else was getting a superbly maintained vehicle bodily and mechanically.

A new car was'nt making me any happier and certainly was'nt getting me where I wanted to go in any more comfort, so I can happily keep a car for ten years.While I can truly appreciate the new cars, I don't envy or lust after one.

Like I said in another post a car now becomes part of the family and I personalise it so much I have great difficulty letting go.
    I had the Titan 3 years on Sunday and I am just as happy now as the day I brought him home.

Don't get me wrong this is a personal choice and I am not knocking anyone who changes whenever after all in the end it is whatever turns your crank.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I put a lot of customization into Sandy as well. Now if I do put off my purchase, at least I can say I'm enjoying all those things (moonroof, 16"s, 6CD, etc.).

So if you choose to keep it longer, go ahead and get it a "gift" of some sort. Make it feel new again.

-jucie
  • Options
    Thats the problem juice I am always looking for gifts for it, thats what makes even harder to part with when the time eventually comes.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    sebberrysebberry Member Posts: 148
    Hmm... I say go big or go home...

In the current Outbacks, the cladding was designed to be a protector of sorts for the doors. (Almost, the paint was a little too delicate)

Now the cladding has been reduced to a smaller strip along the bottom of the door and over the wheels. This certainly has limited functionality, and, IMO, limited visual appeal.

The new Outback looks too much like a jacked up Legacy. The space between the tire and fender is not even all away around, being greater at the top.

The taillight cluster looks sharp, however so does the taillight on the new Chrysler minivans. Too similar in my view.

The roof rack rails were integrated more smoothly into the front roofline in the current model, and I am troubled by the (now single) sunroog that doesn't apear to extend as far backwards over the rear seat as did the dual setup in the current model.

The 3 spoke steering wheel is a passing fad and has gotta go. I'll say it again, the nav system is missing from that storage compartment above the radio, which just happens to be devoid of a McIntosh system.

Ok, enough for me for now,

night night
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The Titan, Sandy, part of the family - well there's your problem!! You can't go around naming your vehicles. Try using phrases like the car, the van, the truck and pretty soon you'll be trading them in like nothing and feeling no guilt!!
  • Options
    I still miss even the bad cars I've owned. I'm just strage. ;-)

The Outback will sit about 4" higher than the Legacy GT. That's what's going to make it visually distinctive.

-juice
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    yes, i did think of the same.
    the taillights remind me of Chrysler minivans
  • Options
  • Options
    Dunno how reliable that is, but 108/195 would make it kinda small for a 7 seat crossover. I think the Freestyle is bigger, so is the SRX.

Looks like they made it MDX sized, that one's 106" and 189" long. Slightly longer, actually.

Pacifica is 116" and 199" long. So it might end up taller and not as long as most crossovers.

-juice
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I hate to say it but the new seven passenger is Ugly with a capital U. I am still thinking about the new Outback, which would convert me to a two Subaru fleet, but if this shows the new face of Subaru, these will be the last two Subarus I will own.

A real pity because I have really gotten to like the brand.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    That crossover doesn't look too bad. Maybe if they tune down the cladding, especially up front, it would look more appealing. It's nice to see "spy shots" of the crossover- maybe this means they really will have something at the NY auto show.

Mark
  • Options
    I think that's a photochop, anyway.

You can't ever please everyone, many love the new Legacy while some say it's way too conservative.

Then you have a bold look like this and the conservative ones hate it.

I think that drawing was out a long time ago and the styling was not yet defined by then, surely it'll change at least somewhat.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...a Cayenne and a Mazda3 5 door had a one night stand!!
  • Options
    To me it looks like someone took a B11S and photochopped a wagon rear end to it.

I do see hints of Cayenne, actually that's what I don't like about it.

-juice
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Well - I guess I really should withhold judgment until I know the design if finalized and until I see one of the seven seaters in real life. Somehow the grill did not look as offensive to me on the little sports car. Along with the new grill / face, the overall shape and detailing on the seven seater as shown on that rendering turn me off.

In any case, while I am seriously toying with getting a new Outback within the next year, as of right now I do not think I will be waiting on the seven seater to make a final decision.
  • Options
    Look at it this way - the Lexus RX300 was pretty radical when it came out.

But...it became trendy and quickly ran up to the #1 spot in luxury SUVs sales.

The redesign is also kinda space-ship looking, but again demand is strong.

Conservative designs like the Lincoln Aviator have bombed.

-juice
  • Options
    It's clearly a Photoshop job, done shortly after the B11S debuted last year. I'm convinced that when the actual vehicle debuts, it will be much better looking than that rendering.

Bob
  • Options
    Will throw my hat in the ring here, while that is very probably a photoshop job, I will say that, if the face of Subaru in the future looks even as remotely ugly as that, the Titan will be my last Subaru.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    looks like an oversized Mini with an ugly grill. (I never liked the B11S, I know Bob did.)

~c
  • Options
    I don't know that I would go that far...

The artist simply grafted B11S styling cues on to a Touareg-proportioned vehicle, and yes, it doesn't work. I too would be horrified if this is the actual car; but I might still buy it, if it's contented right and has all the features I want, and at a price I can afford.

Bob
  • Options
    I liked it for a number of reasons, one being it got your attention -- real quick.

That being said, just grafting those styling cues on a vehicle of totally different proportions doesn't work. I'm hoping the front is more B9SC-like, than what's shown here.

Bob
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Am I the only one who think the front SCREAMS Edsel? Ugly, indeed. Trez ugly!
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I was thinking fugly!
  • Options
    should start showing some teaser images based on the actual vehicle, and soon. This (old) image is doing more harm than good. Folks here and at nasioc are reacting to this image with mucho disgust. I'm really hoping that at the NY show they have something to show, even a 1:12 scale model would be fine.

I really do think the actual vehicle will (A) not look like this, and (B) will be very attractive.

Keep in mind, this is the kick-off vehicle for Subaru's new look (discounting the now in production R2 in Japan), so they have a lot riding on the public acceptance of this design. They're got to get it right.

Bob
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
  • Options
    A vendor over at nasioc has stated that he has seen a photo of the new crossover, and that it looks nothing like that yellow Photoshop image here.

Bob
  • Options
    You guys forget Subarus are supposed to be ugly. LOL

I mean, when I first saw the new Legacy I didn't even know how to react. I'm always ready to bring out the "function over form" argument, but the Legacy is down right handsome.

That yellow drawing's proportions are all wrong, I doubt the final product will look like that. It probably will pick up a couple of the styling cues, though.

I hope they can make it look like the Maserati Kubang, which is among the most handsome car-based SUVs I've ever seen.

http://www.kubang.net/

Heck, the tail lights even look like those off the new Legacy. Check out the glass roof and that cool cockpit. Subaru's new grille would fit right in, too.

Look there for inspiration, Subaru!

-juice
  • Options
    What though, I would hate to get a crack in that windshield. It would prolly cost as much as a small car to replace it. Geez it sweeps right into the roof.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I'm sure there would be a seam. That is just a concept car, though Maserati is trying to figure out how to build it.

Ferrari owns them and might use the Touareg platform if the deal falls through. Supposedly VW will use a Maserati platform for a sedan to slot between the Passat and the Phaeton in exchange.

We'll see. But the Kubang is quite striking.

-juice
  • Options
    It reminds me a lot of the Infiniti FX35/45, in proportions. It sacrifices some utility (aero vs boxy) for style, like the Infiniti. Even so, I do like the styling.

Bob
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    She Bangs!!!!
  • Options
    Agreed. I'm sure Subaru would go a boxier take on the rear end especially. But that front would very easily incorporate the new Subaru "face" and probably look great! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    This could well be Subaru's marketing strategy: Get this ugly yellow concept out there on the NET early, and everybody will hate it. Then, when the actual car debuts, and it will be so much better looking than what everyone was expecting, Subaru will then have a huge hit! Everyone (well most everyone) will love it. :)

Bob
  • Options
    ...could do the marketing for it:

Ku-bang
    Ku-bang
    Oh baby
    I like the way she moves,
    she moves
    Drive me crazy

You barely have to change the words.

-juice (going to take his meds)
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    LOL, juice!

Ken
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    It must be me, but I read "Kubang" and think "Kabong," as in "El Kabong," Quick Draw McGraw's alter ego.

Ed
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You realize that now that you've put the visual of William Hung hawking Subarus in my head, I may be compelled to kill you.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Ewww, nope...it's just more than I can handle...I'm not kidding.

;-)
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    just because I said "She bangs".... lol!
  • Options
    He's not very likely to be pitching an upscale SUV.

But I hear Kia is hiring...

-juice
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    There has been a spooky darth of information on this new vehicle. People in NASIOC have been guessing on possible names based on names Subaru has been making copyriight reviews for. The best name I read from a list is the "Adirondack".
    The latest I have read comes from NASIOC &
     "The Car Connection - Spy Shots"

Spy Shots: ’06 Subaru Crossover
    A larger, seven-passenger sportwagon will share the love with GM.
    by Brenda Priddy (2004-03-22)

Hopefully Edmunds reports can get more scoop
  • Options
    Found the following over at you know where:

2005 IMPREZA: What's New?

Model Line Up-Changes:

For 2005 the main changes to the model line involve the 2.5TS and 2.5RS sedan and sport wagon. For 2005 the base car (sedan and wagon) will be renamed to the 2.5RS. The 2.5RS will replace the existing 2.5TS sedan and wagon as the entry level model for Impreza sedan and wagon, however the level of equipment will remain similar to the 2004 2.5TS. The 2.5RS wagon will have 16" alloy wheels as standard equipment.

There will now also be a 2.5RS "Sport Package" sedan that will offer several of the features of the WRX STi and WRX. This model takes the place of what was the 2004 Impreza 2.5RS. The 2.5RS "Sport Package" Sedan will feature the STi type front bumper with fog light covers, side sill and rear WRX spoiler. It will also offer a leather wrapped steering wheel, aluminum sport pedals, sport seats (WRX type), a center mounted tachometer and an upgraded audio system and a power glass moonroof.

There are several new colors added for 2005:
    Crystal Grey (All models except Outback Sport)

Regal Blue (All models except WRX and WRX STi)

Obsidian Black (All models)

Product Feature Changes:

For the 2005 Impreza a number of changes have been implemented to refresh the interior design as well as a few subtle exterior revisions. The interior significantly changed with a new instrument panel, new door trim, new seat fabrics as well as new sun visors and new center console mounted cup holders. New design 3 spoke steering wheels are featured on all models. There is a new audio system for Impreza WRX, STi and 2.5RS with significantly improved audio performance. WRX will also get full automatic climate control. STi receives a new gear selector and standard anti-theft immobilizer system.

There is a new rear bumper for Impreza sedans with a wider rear wheel arch to accommodate a wider tire (from 7.5" to 8.0") on the STi models. New alloy wheels and a new large single tip muffler will be featured on WRX. All 2005 Impreza WRX models will feature new 10 spoke alloy wheels except the Outback Sport which will have a new 7 spoke design.

WRX manual transmission will be equipped with a double cone type synchronizer. All models except WRX switch to a drive by wire, electronically controlled throttle. All models with 4EAT except WRX switch to a new direct control type transmission.

STi will get aerodynamic underbody covers and a new helical limited slip front differential as well as a yaw rate sensor for the DCCD system.

Both WRX and Sti receive suspension revisions as well as a new steering rack for improved driving performance.

There is mention of a 2.5TS sedan, which makes me think these are Canadian specs. Even so, I bet the US-spec models will get most if not all these upgrades.

Bob
  • Options
    It mentions a new interior. I'm wondering if it's the same as what we have seen in the Saab 9-2x?

Bob
  • Options
    I think this should be an improvement. I've never cared much for the look of the current standard WRX wheels.

Bob
  • Options
    I bet the base TS is renamed/contented RS for '05, and the mid-trim model (former RS) now becomes the RS Pro. That sounds like what the Canadians are doing.

Bob