Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm, i bet a lot of people don't even know where they are! They can launch it at my lakehouse if they'd like and give me on :)

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd be very surprised if that's the name they choose.

Bob
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I agree, the interior will probably be like what we've seen in the 9-2X.

I like the sound of dual cone synchros.... that alone would justify an upgrade from my 03!

Craig
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    as in the sound of people falling off the fence
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Which way? Or did you mean Dud?
  • Options
    get Australia's highest crash ratings.

http://www.subaru.com.au/news/?newsid=11969

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bob: yeah, that's more or less in line with the RS and RS Pro models I saw for the 2005 US models. I bet the main difference is the badge alone.

I agree that it'll get the same interior as the Saab 9-2x, now that is just bizarre! That Saab won't be distinguished at all!

-juice
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    Mum's the word , Crew!
      Moms everywhere will be camping out at Subaru dealerships in June and, while it wouldnt stop me, I would FEEL REALLY BAD about having to tromple over a mom and her little kids who were trying to get a test drive in a new OBXT or Legacy GT Ltd. ahead of me.

Mark
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Thanks Bob. I'll use this to get my wife hooked into the idea of trading in our '00 OB for a '05 OB!

Now I just need to find a way to modify the article text so it reads Outback XT rather than just Outback ;)
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    luck11-
    Just say XT means "Extra Tough" ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=765793- - 44

Could this be the new 7-passenger name?

For those who don't know, Montak is the eastern end of Long Island, and I'm sure it is a Native-American name.

Bob
  • Options
    Sounds too much like Montana, the minivan. Not exactly what you want customers to think about when they see the upscale pricing.

I prefer Surveyor. What was the 3rd rumor going around?

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Was Patchogue taken??
  • Options
    goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    How about Puyallup? Or maybe Semiamu? Or my favorite Stilaguamish. ;-)

Sorry, the Native-American names got me thinking about some here in the Pacific N.W.

Of course I'm not sure if these are spelled correctly. Here's some more...Steilacoom, Skagit, Snoqualamie, Snohomish (yes, there are a lot of "S" words), Nisqually, Nanaimo, OK. I'll quit now. ;-)

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • Options
    They need some Northeast names since um, a large portion of the subaru clients are located in the NE.

-mike
  • Options
    Susquehanah (sp?)...

Nah.

-juice
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Sasquach
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Surveyor and Adirondack top my list.
  • Options
    Subaru Surveyor has a nice flow to it.

Adirondack would be difficult to recall, for marketing purposes.

-juice
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Don't say Subaru Adirondack and Recall in the same sentence. :)
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    That's my vote. To me, it recalls a vision of the grand outdoors, with mountains, evergreen forests, and lakes. That would be a cool image for a vehicle.

Craig
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    ...might "Katahdin" not be a better name?

Ed
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    IMHO, "Adirondack" has unfortunately become associated with extremely uncomfortable wooden furniture that is very hard to get out of..not a good marketing association/
    "Surveyor", while a noble occupation, conjures up visions of guys in khakis with transits and long tape measures...

I think a good plan would be to go with a connotation that is already synonymous with their brand: goes great where it snows! Maybe a name of a well known ski area like Telluride or maybe a national park like Yosemite...connotes ruggedness and outdoor experience, similar to some of GM's truck/SUV naming schemes. They could call it Capitan, after El Capitan in Yosemite, and everyone would just call it a Captain.
       Chrysler bombed with the Aspen..the car had as little as possible in common with the image or the place. Pacifica is a little better.. a car to drive in the Silicon Valley!

Another, less-known connotation that goes with their logo and takes advantage of the unique marketing advantage for Subaru in the 7-passenger vehicle segment: Pleaides

Mark
  • Options
    Tough to spell, and many people won't know what it means.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    than Touareg or Phaeton from VW. Even pronouced differently than they're spelled.

-Brian
  • Options
    Exactly - two horrible names, if you ask me.

-juice
  • Options
    FYI the adirondack park was/is slated to become a national park, and it would be the largest IIRC. So it would play into the outdoors/snow/canoe/NE theme pretty well.

Enough of these Rockies getting all the press!!! :)

-mike
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Terreno = Terrain
  • Options
    Then again I've done a lot of business in Puerto Rico, to the point that I now call Mitsu Montero Sports "Nativas" whenever I see them. ;-p

Ed
  • Options
    ...and I call them Pajeros.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sounds like snack food to me - New from Yals: Crunchy Pajeros!!
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Phaeton? It's pronounced just like it looks!

The name hadn't been used since the 30's, but wasn't rare then. It is correctly being reused, a large luxury car. Most of them then were limosines.

~c
  • Options
    IIRC "phaeton" refers to an open car with four doors (basically a four-door convertible), regardless of size. For example, the Ford Model A was available as a phaeton.

Ed
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    It's actually "Nativa", but I get your point :-p

Or do I???

I won't ask what kind of business you do over there....
  • Options
    Phaetons were originally large open-bodied 4-door cars.

Bob
  • Options
    Nativas = plural of "Nativa".

I work with a number of the pharma manufacturers on the island, no secret there. :-)
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Don't think 'Neves' a word, like Impreza. Just seven backwards.
    Lobby for Subaru Crew instead of Adirondack :)

-Dave
  • Options
    ok, I respect my elders even more now. but it's pronounced as it reads at least! :p

~c
  • Options
    For the heck of it, I did a search for a Duesenberg Phaeton, and found the the following:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1929-Duesenberg-Model-J-Dual-Cowl-Ph- - aeton.htm

Pretty impressive specs for a 1929 car, I'd say.

Bob (the elder)
  • Options
    when I looked at auctions-- usually just in Automobile mag, although I no longer subscribe-- sometimes a car's value was puzzling to me. but not Duesenbergs. way ahead of their time, very low production... amazing.

~c
  • Options
    Saw this yesterday, actually looks similar to the pic you just posted.

What is it?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290819759&p=4180544825- &idx=9

-juice
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    that pic looks more like a kit car than a regular production car to me...seems like those were popular in the 80's for some reason.

B
  • Options
    I posted the pic in the "I spotted" topic and they think it might be a kit also. The huge side exhausts looked fake to me.

-juice
  • Options
    Excalibur was a manufacturer of kit cars, using mid-sized GM platforms. They were moderately successful back in the '80s or thereabouts. They appealed to the gold jewelry guys who wear shiny loafers with no socks. FWIW, I thought they were hideous.

Bob
  • Options
    We think it's a Clenet, that's what Shifty thinks. I believe it did have that label on it, IIRC.

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    What I thought too Bob, but I wasn't sure I know that was the colours for the Excalibur, and it was a replica of the SSK I think.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Replica? More like "rip-offlica." If there's any one kind of vehicle I hate, it's this kind. Augh!!!

Bob
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Having grown up in Las Vegas, land of the highest per-capita gold-jewelery-guys in the nation, I think I may have been exposed to a disproportionate share of Excalibur cars in my youth. Those cars, and the city, are truly tasteless slices of Americana. Ugh.

Brian (now traumatized)
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    Subaru Toxic Waste?
    Subaru Swamper?
    Subaru Exit 16W?
    Subaru Tunnel Tolls?
    Subaru Pot Hole?
    Subaru Corruption?
    Subaru Juicer?
    Subaru Come On There Aint Any Cherrys at Cherry Hill?