Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    If you start driving slower, please stay out of the left (passing) lane. Thanks.
  • skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    LOL--you got it--nothing more annoying than a slow driver in the left lane --or even the center lane! ;)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you drive over the speed limit please don't assume you own the road, and don't forget a lot of that extra gas you buy comes from the middle east.

Do the EPA estimates remain the same for 09 on the Civic.
    The people who assume they own the road are those who impede the flow of traffic, either because they're selfish and controlling or just plain stupid, and 79% of the oil we use DOES NOT come from the Middle East. Thanks.
    I'd say anyone who drives on either extreme end of the spectrum is potentially not only annoying but also dangerous to other drivers. But I do hope folks in general will slow down a tad to help with carbon emissions and safety.

AND, yes I am certainly going to do what I can to get better MPG--for me (it's called being on a budget) and for the planet.

And I do abhor our dependency on foreign oil and I'm so glad we are finally waking up (duh!) and will be tapping into our own resources like wind and solar energy...

In terms of where we get our oil from--
    From World Politics Review, I found this excerpt:
    "In May 2007, the United States imported 439 million barrels of oil and oil products from more than 70 countries. North American sources dominated, with Canada and Mexico providing more than a quarter of U.S. imports. Mexico provides about the same amount of oil as Saudi Arabia. Elsewhere in the Western hemisphere, despite thorny relations, Hugo Chavez's Venezuela is the United States' fourth largest oil supplier. In Africa, Nigeria, Algeria and Angola are the biggest U.S. source countries."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
    In terms of the question: 'Will the Civic 09 get better MPG?'--
    I don't know--good question! Maybe someone else knows?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of course it is impossible to impede traffic if you are going the maximum speed allowed by law. ;) :P

In very few states do overtaking cars in the left lane have the right of way. Typically if you are driving 65 and passing somebody going 60, then you can stay in the left lane as long as you are passing. The lawbreaker going 20 over the speed limit has no right to the left lane in this case. You are typically only required to be in the right if you are under the speed limit and not overtaking anybody.

And 21% is a lot. ;)

So it looks like civic mpg stays the same for 09. I have not heard otherwise.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With no powertrain changes for the Civic, you're right about the MPG.

I also agree with you on the other points. In most passing scenarios (for me, assuming only 2 lanes one-direction, such as rural highway), the right lane driver is going below the limit. I speed up to the limit to pass them (since I typically go right at or a couple MPH over the limit when I get to set my own pace). I'm not going to go 80 in the left lane to pass a car just because some jack comes screaming up behind me in the left lane. If I see traffic moving really fast in the left, I'll wait until it clears and then move. I don't dawdle, but I'm not going to risk a ticket, or risk making the slower driver I have just passed, angry by cutting him off to expedite the passing process for the excessive speeder.

It's my car, my money paying the tickets, and my insurance rate. If you want to jeopardize yours, be my guest, but I'm not going to jeopardize mine just for you. I'll pass by going at least 5 MPH than the slower vehicle, then move back over without cutting them off. I also won't hop in a crowded left lane moving 80 and immediately go 72.
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Member Posts: 29
    BUT i think it is best to see the tachometer too... when u r trying to get the extra MPG. DOn't use Vtec(you car freaks know what i am talking about) unless u need to-like trying to pass somebody. keeping the shifts under 3000rpm will return good MPG. correct me if iam wrong :blush:
    You're right... keeping revs low and not digging deep into the throttle will of course use less fuel.
    Most states have "slower traffic keep right" signs posted and when is courtesy and good manners only supposed to be where mandated by law? I find incompetent drivers usually are the ones insisting they have a right not to yield the passing lane. Perhaps if they paid more attention to their own driving and not that of others....

In any case, steady state driving is usually less deleterious to mileage and economy than constantly having to slow down and accelerate back to speed because some dope is restricting traffic flow, which can very well mean doing the speed limit if the majority of cars are going above the limit, which is usually the case. There's a lane for driving at or below the speed limit and it is the right lane, as is noted in the United States Uniform Vehicle Code:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic

Info on state laws on yielding to overtaking traffic:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    it's just an MMC - yes the MPG will stay the same.

As for the speeding - I've never heard of a rule that you should stay going 60 in a 60 in the left lane, just because that's the speed limit. What I HAVE heard (and was taught) is that if you're not passing, regardless of your speed, that you need to move to the right lane. Among the benefits of staying in the right lane is that if you tuck in behind a truck or other vehicle that is going the same speed as yourself, you can decrease your fuel consumption thanks to drafting. So if being a courteous driver isn't enough for you to get over, then the practical benefit should.

No one owns the road, and you don't "gain" ownership of the left lane merely because you're driving the speed limit. If someone wants to pass you, get over.
    I tend to agree with you. I only get in the left lane if I need to pass someone going slower than me in the right. That doesn't mean I'm going to go 10 mph OVER the limit if I'm passing a car going under the limit, just because Joe Schmo wants to go 80. I'll signal, pass (at least 5 mph faster than the car I was stuck behind), and then signal and get back in the right lane so Joe can go find the "blue-light special" and help keep Alabama's roads smooth with his ticket.
    For anyone interested in increasing their MPG by driving a bit slower, here is forum committed to achieving the same, including interesting discussions about the law and tickets.

I like what was said about safety first, than MPG. Makes sense to me.

So no hard and fast rules--I assess things like hwy conditions, the maximum speed limit, any posted minimum limit, the flow, the time of day, the terrain, the number of lanes, etc. and then make a decision as to just how slow I go.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9648
  • tiger72tiger72 Member Posts: 21
    Some of those folks on that forum are absurd... You know, if you just walk, you'll get even better gas mileage!!! And you don't even have to block traffic to do it.

Sorry - just had to throw that out there...
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Not true, actually. In most states, you are required to keep right except to pass, even if you are driving the speed limit: http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/index.asp
    I just read through it - you're right, there are some yahoos there. 40-45 MPH in expressway/interstate traffic? They shouldn't be allowed licenses.
  • xxyxxy Member Posts: 16
    On a 3 lane interstate I like to ride the middle lane, giving merging traffic on the right on ramp clearance to get on and the faster traffic to have the faster left lane to speed as they wish. Just my thoughts.
  • bryan_05bryan_05 Member Posts: 16
    @xxy

I think that's correct as well. I was taught the same in Driver's Ed.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Regular sedan and hybrids are going on sale tomorrow. Those sedans were in production as of July 22nd. Thats when East liberty started making them. Canada is probably producing them. Si's will have to wait until September. Later this august the Coupe should arrive.
  • lauflauf Member Posts: 6
    Weren't you the one who posted info on the new Civic facelift? As for the sales date that's not until the 19th. It says so in that post with all the info about the 09s.
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    has anyone placed an order for the 09civic or does that start on the 19th? :confuse:
  • jiminthehillsjiminthehills Member Posts: 60
    "Regular sedan and hybrids are going on sale tomorrow"

Still I ask,has anyone seen any pictures, yet? I can't believe that Honda can keep this so close to their vest, including all the way up until someone happens to buy one tomorrow and then sees it for the first time?????

Something's rotten in Denmark.....
    August 17th is the embargo date and yes I made a mistake. August 19th is when the sedans go on sale. GX, and Si Sedans will have to wait. So will coupes.
    rv65 - Thanks for the clarification.
    Thats likely the official brochure for the 09. Dealers get brochures before the cars actually come out.
    09 Manuals were leaked and there are some interesting information. Shows the bluetooth and USB/iPod integration. iPod song information can be shown on the navigation screen. Non nav models also show song information. You can plug in a usb storage device as well. 5th generation iPod and up can use this system. All you need is the iPod and the USB transfer cable. Of course the iPod will need the latest firmware. Bluetooth is just like any other Honda/Acura bluetooth system. No bluetooth on non nav models. Only EX/EX-L/Hybrid and Si NAVI models get bluetooth. EX, Hybrid, EX-L and Si get the USB port regardless of Navigation.
    The 09 Civic sedans uses the Coupe steering wheel regardless of trim. The Coupe wheel is better since it can easily accomodate the Bluetooth and NAVI buttons. Navigation and bluetooth use separate buttons. Could do it on the 2 spoke but Honda thought it was better to use the coupe wheel.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    No mention of the "royal blue pearl" as being discontinued or carryover. That is my wife's favorite color. Below is a pic of the 2009 Honda Civic concept car. If it were the real 2009 I would be reall disappointed having just bought a 2008 in May.

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/CarANDdriver/honda-sports4-001.jpg

I personally like that new design whenever and if it ever comes out.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    Goodness, that concept car photo has been talked about for ages now and no its not the 09 civic. Only a minor refresh.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/introduction-pictures/111726-2009-civic-coupe-civ- ic-coupe-si-pics-12.html
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    I have spoken to several dealers. They all tell me that they do NOT have pricing. They even had no idea of the new models. They say 4 to 6 weeks. I spoke with at least 6 dealers in NY and NJ
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=783457

LX-S and DX VP are confirmed. Bluetooth is only available on the Navigation system. USB iPod input for 5th gen and up iPod's. USB port can also play USB storage devices. USB is standard on all EX and up Civic's. Si and Hybrid included. Again you can get a Hybrid with leather.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Honda must be having trouble getting things going in their Indiana Plant, where the '09 is being assembled. For them to withhold this much info is sooooo unreal! :(
    No 09 Civic is made in Indiana. Currently East Liberty and Alliston will produce it. Suzuka in Japan will build the hybrids. Honda keeps it's information secret until the embargo.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm not sure why Honda even bothers to mention the DX sedan. With the DX-VP at the same price (per the table in the linked article) as the DX, who would buy a DX?
    Thanks for the link and all the advanced info....you did pretty good the past couple of weeks in the prediction department!

If you get any pictures of the new EX wheel design for 2009, please let us in on it, thanks.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/
    http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hybrid/

Official info at hondacars.com/. It shows the EX's new wheel design which I can't say that I like them. The navi price has gone up by 250 USD. Now it's 2,000 USD with navi and bluetooth. Like the fact that navi now comes with bluetooth. Might not be good for those who want bluetooth without navi. There will probably be an accessory addon that will allow bluetooth. It will not integrate with the stereo and will be a repackaged BlueConnect system.

Hybrid with leather is still avaliable which is nice but expensive with navigation. Nearly 27K with leather and the GPS.
    I do think the Polished metal that they did on the website looks great. Urban Titanium is that brown color I mentioned earlier. The 09 Civic EX has nice lookin rims. The LX-S uses the outgoing EX rims which could be swapped if you don't like the EX rims.
    Will I be able to order/get an '09 Civic that is made in Japan??
    If it's a hybrid then it's made in Japan. Honda makes good quality products in the states. Some non hybrid sedans are made in Japan but those aren't that common. You can get one but like I said they aren't that common. Hope this helps.
  • mpittsmpitts Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone know if the VSA which will be standard on the EX L comes with an on/off switch and if not will it affect performance?
    Thanks!
    I didn't see the article, but they aren't the same price. Honda's website lists the VP at $16,155 (+800 for automatic). The DX is $15,405 (+800 for automatic). Hope that clears things up.
    ...Switch for VSA...?

Honda's VSA systems has been defeatable (with a dashboard button) in all its applications to date; I don't see why it wouldn't be here.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So the table (supposedly direct from Honda) in the article posted earlier was in error. Figures. Makes no sense the DX would cost the same as the VP.
    Indeed, sir. See for yourself. ;)
    Yes it does have an on/off switch. All Hondas with VSA can be turned off.
    I appreciate it and thanks for all the help!
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Member Posts: 29
    quick survey...... who likes the new bumper? i certainly don't ... it doesn't look as good as the 06-08 sedan
    Compared to the Scion, do the Honda automatic transmissions hold up longer? Does anyone know? tyvm
  • ravipatelravipatel Member Posts: 1
    I will be going to the honda dealer tomorrow. When will the 09 Civic be in showrooms? I may as well reserve it when I go.