Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    ...and a manual transmission? :-P

-Colin
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'll donate a 15" steel rim if you can use it (prolly not).

I also have a too-short-for-Forester shift lever. What shifter do you have in there now? If it's OE, it'll be an improvement.

It'll be my contribution to the Frankster.

-juice
  • Options
    LOL Colin.

Actually it's prolly more fun to beat people in a 2.2l automatic, too bad it's not a wagon!

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Actually, may be working a deal with kevin thomas (2.2l turbo AT OBS from Deleware) to get his OBS back in NA working order, and he'll give me his $3K turbo kit! So hopefully this winter will see some major power increases to the L, and for now I'm keeping the AT how fun will that be getting my comp lisc. with an AT subie putting out ~250hp.

-mike
  • Options
    Didn't he also have Nitrous?

-juice
  • Options
    I think he had that in his first turbo setup. I wouldn't be using nitrous on this one.

-mike
  • Options
    AZP set a new world record, beating our previous best time of 43 min for a spring install w/o power tools (except an impact wrench for the strut tops and lug nuts), 27 min FLAT for a WRX Spring install! :) Pics at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40- 2325

-mike
  • Options
    Did you torque every bolt to spec? If so, kudos.

-juice
  • Options
    Everything else the spec is in our hands, after doing em 100+ times you know when it's correct :)

Lower struts go as tight as you can get em with the breaker bar, strut tops are like 13ft-lbs.

-mike
  • Options
    Well I have purchase some power options for the L. Not disclosing what it is yet, but here is a hint...

Displacement doesn't change.
    It's Turbo.
    It's Closed Deck.

-mike
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Twin scroll from Japan? ;-D

Ken
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    is like the one in my 2.2t Legacy! Am I right?

Jim
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    22B motor? :D
    I think Jim got it right.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I may have just scored some new mats for $25. What luck, a local person selling brand-new (still in package) floor mats for $25 for a beige Forester. What are the odds?

-juice
  • Options
    I picked up a 4EAT (1000 miles ago rebuilt) and a EJ22T motor (complete with radiator and everything) for the L :)

I think I may pass on the Milano now and wait for Jim to buy his legacy :) Then I can buy his legacy :)

-mike
  • Options
    juice: That's a find! I wish I came across something like that for my 98 Forester (grey).

mike: Schweet! I forgot that the L was 2.2 and not 2.0.

Ken
  • Options
    We are gonna pull the 2.2 out of the L and put in the turbo legacy motor and tranny. At the very least I'll have a 2.2L and 4EAT around for spares.

-mike
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    Would you strip the 5mt out of my car for the Impreza or do you mean you'd just like to buy my car in general? I seem to recall fairly major differences in 5mt vs 4eat ECUs don't I? It would bolt right up, but the electronics might be tough.

Jim
  • Options
    As a daily driver to save miles on the SVX. :) I would probably keep it very similar to the config it's in now, probably throw on some SP5000s when your tires go, put in a CB, and that's about it, maybe a MBC and an IC.

-mike
  • Options
    rangnerrangner Member Posts: 336
    Hey all,

I just got the OEM rear diffy protector for my OBW but have yet to install it. Does anybody know of any front diffy, oil pan, tranny, the whole nine yards protector OEM or otherwise out there? Seems strange to have a protector for only the rear and not the front.

Eric
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
  • Options
    Thanks man! It looks pretty good. Do you have any experience with them, or did you just find the link? Anyhow I appreciate the info!

Eric
  • Options
    No, I don't have any of their stuff, I just remember having looked at the site some time ago. I seem to recall somebody (maybe Mark from Staten Island??) talking about the front skidplate...Mark, was that you?

Jon
  • Options
    Bat1161 has the front skid plate. I saw it last weekend at our shop when he got his OB tinted. Looks very nice! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Is AZP free any nights next week to do a coolant, brakefluid, tranny fluid drain and fill on my Outback? Shoot me an e-mail with your availability and directions to your Jersey garage. I just hit 30k today.

Jon
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I could be there tonight.

-mike
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Eric,

I have the front skid plate from Primitive. It covers the whole front end to just past the jack point. Took about 20 minutes to put on. I just have to get the proper rear diffy. Paul from Primitive had sne tme the wrong one, then tried a different one - still wrong. He worked with me on the whole thing though, so no complaints.

Mark
  • Options
    rthompson10rthompson10 Member Posts: 75
    I've looked up various posts on tires. What's the word on these Portenza tires that came with my O/B. I'm in NJ so snow /ice are a potential- do this tires seem to work pretty well as an all-around tire? Not interested in just a winter one
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I probably send out an order as soon as I install the rear one I bought. Thanks again,

Eric
  • Options
    Woo-hoo! Scored a new set of mats for $25 after all. I'm picking them up in 45 minutes. :-)

paisan: quick - can your tint guy work tomorrow? I'm picking up the wife Tuesday night from Philly air port, so I might be able to drive up. He prolly has a full time job, but can you check? It would be cool to surprise my wife like that.

I'm off the whole day, so any time Tuesday. I just have to be in Philly by 10:15pm.

-juice
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    When do you expect to be in the area? My office is about a 25 minute drive from the airport. Maybe we could meet if schedules permit.

Ed
  • Options
    Definitely an option.

I'm trying to do several things:

1) Tint would be first, because that means getting something accomplished.

2) Delivering flowers to Patti, in person. She does not read this topic, so it should still be a surprise. I'm trying to get her home addy, anyone have it? E-mail me please.

3) Meeting up with any locals, maybe for dinner. But this depends on my schedule for 1 and 2.

I pick up the wife at 10:15pm, and I'm off the whole afternoon, so that would be fun if we could meet up. Lemme see what paisan says about his tint guy, and if I get a response from Patti about her address.

e-mail me your phone number, will ya? My wife took my cell phone because her battery died.

-juice
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Just sent it to the e-mail addy in your profile. Still thinking about the time your wife called my cell by mistake ;-).

Ed
  • Options
    Yeah, that was funny.

No word yet from Patti or paisan about the tint, so I may end up being free after all.

-juice
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Juice- Finally checked the posts here. Hope it is not too late, but I emailed you Lee's info.

Mark
  • Options
    Hey all,

Does anyone know of any tint shops in the Chattanooga, TN area? Atlanta or knoxville would be ok too. I'm thinking of tinting it somewhat like the windows on the Lexus RX300, except a little brownish to match the titanium pearl cladding. Any experience with this type of tinting?

Eric
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay, was at The Glen, doing some hot laps in the Franken L (about 250 miles on-track over 2 days!!) and was unable to surf the net up there! :(

-mike
  • Options

That is coming into the main straight turn 11 :)

and this is my buddy's STi with about 400 miles on the ticker. He didn't rev over 4000rpms on the track during the session (nice feature of the shift-light :) )

The L did back to back sessions so it basically ran at WOT for about 1hr at a time. Held up like a CHAMP.

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    That silver/silver looks nice. :-) Oh yeah, the FrankenL looks nice too.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Nice pics, mike! I like the outstretched fist coming out of the STi.

Ken
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    :-)
  • Options
    Indicates you are pitting.

-mike
  • Options
    No problem, guys, I had no e-mail at home (cable is still dead even now), no power, no cell phone (wife took it, long story), etc. I was incommunicato.

Luckily Ed saw my post and we got in touch.

Pitting for gas or tires, I'm sure. Subies are reliable. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    to usually get out of a pack of cars during an HPDE. Or at the end of the session, basically anyyime you are entering the pits you indicate it with the fist.

-mike
  • Options
    Pitting -- I learned a new thing today. With kart racing it's a similar motion, but just an open hand up in the air.

Ken
  • Options
    is to differentiate it from a point-by which would indicate that it is safe to pass by a slower car, if you did an open hand, then it could be mistaken possibly for a pointby rather than a pit-in signal.

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068

Weight: <10lbs
    Cost: $0.00

-Dave
  • Options
    Can't wait to get them in stock for AZP :)

-mike