Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I have not owned a set but I've driven them on others' cars on the street and autocross.

They are pretty loud and ride a little rough due to the firm carcass. They're excellent performers though! Not quite as much fun as Kumho Victoracer V700s on the street. ;-)

I'd buy a set for street use, especially for a roadster since those have plenty of road noise already.

-Colin
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Rough ride, eh? I ought to just buy a new CD player, mine skips as is. Firmer ride will break the dern thing.

I'm gonna check out tires on Sat at Costco, if I'm not happy I may order those Azenis and just check the forecast every morning.

-juice
  • Options
    subarusaleshousubarusaleshou Member Posts: 161
    Once I'm past break in I want to think about mods to add a little more oomph. I've thought about exhaust, headers and intake. Are those the 3 top performance enhancers? In what order should they be applied to produce the best results? I have no experience in modding a car and no mechanical aptitude so I need ideas that I can get done and not have to do myself.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Oomph from those mods.

You'll get bling and sound, but not much oomph.

On my '96 L I run a header and straight pipe, no cats, no muffler, no nothing, and notice a slightly more power at WOT 4-6K rpms on the track.

I'd stick to getting handling mods and tires before power mods on that car. They'll help you go faster through the turns which will translate to overall being faster.

-mike
  • Options
    A day at the track, that's the best bang for the buck! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    I'm sure track time would be fun however this is an A/T daily driver and not as much fun as a 5 speed. Without upgrading to a WRX I'd like to have a little more reserve than stock. I don't think I'd want to fool with nitrous since it requires replenishment etc. but would consider bolt on options. Are there none that provide benefit?
  • Options
    Besides what you mentioned, you could consider an underdrive pulley (claimed 5hp), aftermarket intakes, etc.

-juice
  • Options
    my L is an AT, and I was holding my own against a 5MT 2.5RS :)

Not many bolt ons wil give the 2.5L power other than turbo kit. But what do I know.

-mike
    http://AZPInstalls.com
  • Options
    Borla header helps a bit; more than any other bolt-on for sure. Minimal gains can be had with exhaust and intake. Mostly noise-- not that a raspy muffler on a boxer four sounds bad, mind you. :)

-Colin
  • Options
    Franken L's straight pipe was loud, but there was a Civic out there yesterday that was twice as loud, and the sound quality was much worse.

The Legend cars were running very well, passing the Hondas that ran with them pretty easily. A Lotus Seven was cleaning up, too. There's a lesson in there - add lightness.

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    would that Civic so happened to be Red with about 1/4" ground clearance and driven by a 7 footer? ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    I was talking to a coworker who mentioned some sort of cat change that goes from the factory two to just one cat and adds a significant amount of power. I need to get more details but that sounds like a good first step.
  • Options
    Was a race civic.

Juice that website for the Faulkens was http://Vulcantire.com

-mike
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    The guys are right- exhaust mods will get you maybe 5-6hp, but only above 4k, so it has no practical gain in around town driving. Handling mods will net more obvious improvement.

But consider Juice's advice and mod the driver first. You have no idea how competent your car is in stock form until an instructor shows you....I mean it really is mind blowing the first time. I can't emphasize enough how much safer you will be, and how much real enjoyment you will get out of future mods, after a day of professionally run high performance driving school.

FWIW I spent both of my track weekends in a 1999 Outback, riding on 205/70/15 all-seasons (1st weekend stock, 2nd weekend with just a pumped up swaybar and strut brace). I guarantee that car, with me as the driver, gained a good 20 second improvement around the circuit just because of the "driver mod." And what a hoot, too. People said I was on three wheels once and a while! Hee hee.

(epilogue- the instructor was so impressed with the car's inate abilities and heel-toe setup, he traded his Explorer for an OB. Last year he ditched his modified M Coupe for a WRX).
  • Options
    still undergoing "driver mod" :D

-Dave
  • Options
    Is that it can easily be transferred from one car to another almost instantly! No assembly required!

I know I'm a faster, safer driver after doing 15 track days this year!

-mike
  • Options
    You da man, paisan! Sweet link, $38 for the Falken 512s.

Tire Rack doesn't even carry them, and they ran about $50 more for the set at Discount Tire, plus I was peeved at them anyway.

I *really* thought about those Azenis, they just plain look cool, but then I remembered why I'm getting rid of my existing tires in the first place. With no roll bar I doubt my Miata will see any track time, so the 512s made more sense.

Next mod - tighten the nut behind the wheel! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Hmm I'm not a fan of Faulken tires other than the Azenis. So I'm not sure you'll be happy with those :( What size are you running again?

-mike
  • Options
    185/60R14, it's actually the only exact match for size. The tires are tiny! :-)

They had Azenis in 195/60R14, and I'm sure they'd probably fit, but...summer tires, wrong size, more money, etc.

These were so cheap I'll consider them "disposable". Some say they're good until the tread starts to wear. If they go bad, no regrets, I'll just get a set of Azenis or something else.

To be honest I don't picture taking my Miata to the track, so ultimate grip was not an issue. If CR is right about these being fairly quiet, decent ride/handling balance, decent wet/snow grip, then I'll be happy. My expectations are realistic.

-juice
  • Options
    ray_cray_c Member Posts: 36
  • Options
    Dunno, you're not going to get "up to 20hp" for nothing. "Brand New" equals untested and unproven. Your warranty is void, and the probably paid that model in the picture more money than their engineers...

I'd pass.

-juice
  • Options
    ray_cray_c Member Posts: 36
    Juice,

Well I don't have to worry about warranty since my Outback has over 70K in it. But I think I still won't try it until someone try it on their Subaru already. FYI, some one has it on their 2003 4Runner (post #166).

sistercrystin "Toyota 4Runner Accessories" Nov 4, 2003 4:09pm!make=Toyota&model=4Runner&ed_makeindex=.ef15c89
  • Options
    "upto" 20hp... I'm with juice, pass.
    If claims to give "at least" 20hp I probably might encourage you to give it a whirl.

Anyhow, the "module" sure looks good ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    $25 for up to twenty horsepower, boy were it only that easy, you would get more bang for your buck if you just took the 25 bucks and set it on fire at least you would get a little bit of heat from it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I've done the Jim Russell school for a week. It was great fun and did add to my knowledge and abilities.

I'm really interested in mods for the car rather than for me.

I'm thinking of a crank pulley I found that is stock diameter but 4 pounds lighter than stock. I know that any reduction of rotating and/or unsprung mass is good.

Beyond that I don't know what's next.
  • Options
    mwahaha, set $25 on fire... LOL

great one Pat! :)

-c
  • Options
    I'd at least wait to see dyno charts from before and after.

I still don't see how a product that cheap could possibly be "engineered" properly, unless they stole the code from another vendor.

I recall an article by John Davis (from Motorweek) in the Washington Post. He took all the press releases from compaines like that one, and calculated that if he installed all of those products he's have something like 1000 hp and 90 mpg from a Corvette, if you were to believe all the claims.

So the bottom line is make them prove it, claims are usually bogus.

-juice
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I am a big believer in if it talks like a duck and walks like a duck it usually is a duck.

They have an old saying where I come from a fool and his money are soon parted.

Colin, glad I could provide you with a smile:-)

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    it can't be serious. It's like that Vortex thing.... snake oil. The pic of the leggy model is 2x bigger than the "dyno chart"
  • Options
    Real Cheap! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Are you saying there was a chart of something in that photo?

OK, I'm bad.. I know it.. but that just couldn't be passed up.
  • Options
    Got the Falkens mounted on the Miata on Saturday. Haven't had a chance to really try them out yet, I was actually going to let them break in gradually.

What is it, 3 heat cycles?

They seem to track straight, amazing how much slop was in the old tires.

Just for Colin: Discount Tire's price would have been $30 higher, so it actually paid off, and I got to deny them my business for that price jump they had. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    squeezedlemonsqueezedlemon Member Posts: 18
    What kind of modifications would you recommend for driving the unpaved highways in Alaska and NW Canada in a 96 Legacy Outback 2.5 L. Things I've heard recommended are cages for headlamps and reinforcement for transmission and gas tank. I guess the main road hazards are large trucks kicking up a hail storm of rocks and ruts from the buckling of the permafrost in the summer. What would such modifications on an "economy" scale put me out? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    For regular street tires.

They just might be squirily for a few 100 miles.

-mike
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    I'd get a rear differential protector. You can order those direct from a Subie dealer. There are some aftermarket outfits that make heavy gauge steel skidplates for the front. You can protect the front of the car with an acrylic hood deflector, also direct from Subaru.

Jon
  • Options
    Thanks mike. They are squirrely. They seem to follow lines in the road.

Skidplates, front and rear, here you go:

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

-juice
  • Options
    welcome to the world of god handling cars matched to good tires, AJ. :D It should subside a bit as you break them in, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go away entirely.
  • Options
    I'd heard about it, but it's the first time I've ever felt tramlining, at least this badly.

-juice
  • Options
    my SP5000's less so, but still present. Never from the Blowtenzas though.
  • Options
    OK, now I feel better. You sure do get a *lot* more steering feedback. It almost feels like you have less steering boost.

Man, those old tires were gone!

-juice
  • Options
    it means your Miata is talking to you again.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I lived up there for 20 years and hit every gravel road from Prudhoe to Inuvik to Hyder. I just picked up a '97 Outback back in April and drove it from Anchorage to Boise. I did get a few chips on the windshield in Alberta, but that was due to passing a gravel truck spewing rocks out.

The best modification you can do, imho, is to your driving - pay attention to the road flags that indicate bumps in the road (when they put a sign up they mean it!) and slow down for the frost heaves on the pavement (often the gravel sections are smoother than the paved stuff).

Otherwise I never did a darn thing, and mostly traveled in a low clearance minivan. A full size spare is nice, but no gas tank bombs on the roof or chicken wire blocking your view out the window is needed. Maybe some of that clear bra stuff for your lights will keep them from cracking, if you feel like you must do something. And get a Milepost (themilepost.com).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    squeezedlemonsqueezedlemon Member Posts: 18
    Steve,

In what part of Alaska did you live? 20 Alaskan winters is a long long time for the interior, long enough on the SE coast.

You mentioned that "Maybe some of that clear bra stuff for your lights will keep them from cracking, if you feel like you must do something." I would appreciate it if you could elaborate as the only mod for headlights I have heard of is the mesh wire type.

What limitations did you encounter traveling with the 97 Outback i.e. what kind of roads or condtions would you avoid during the summer months in the NW?
  • Options
    montreal1montreal1 Member Posts: 12
    http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/what_sgl.asp

Just installed this on my RS 2002.

I'm very happy with the results. Bring on some snow !!

Cheeers
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was in Anchorage all those winters, about three too many :-).

Roads up there are mostly well maintained, absent the odd flood or something. Like I said, most of my touring was in a minivan, so an Outback will be even better for the gravel and the little side roads where the nice hidden camp spots are. I always wanted another inch or two of clearance in the minivan.

In addition to Montreal1's suggestion (btw, the TransLabrador Highway in Québec is another great gravel road), there are some other clear bra links in Car front end protective bras & film. Good stuff, but pricy.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well it's season is now over, which means...

It's time for mods!!!!

Hypov picked up the SS Lines from Tirerack today for it :) Next on the list will be to get the remote battery mounting in the trunk, push button start, and cut switch. Then it's time for the turbo parts...

-mike
  • Options
    Getting the SS line was more like a quest with the crosswinds gusting all the way down and back up again. The WRX wagon held its ground well at 65~90mph cutting through ~45mph crosswind. However, it got pushed around somewhat when it gets hit by a whiff of ~60mph gust going 65~90mph. I think the SVX will slice right through that crosswind. :)

-Dave
  • Options
    I should have traded you the SVX for the WRX for the day.

-mike
  • Options
    and miss the fun watching the dial turn 10k. :D

-Dave
  • Options
    Already? You're a wild man Dave. Didn't you just pick it up?

-juice