Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    ALK is definitely a finishing touch type of item. Highly unlikely you'd notice it on a stock suspended, street only machine.

-Colin
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    the same reviewer also claims lightening the unsprung weight of the car by 20 lbs with new tires made the car feel turbo charged...
  • Options
    dave226dave226 Member Posts: 22
    Ducktapeguy

Thanks. I installed mine before reading your post...Guessed at the lines and disconnected the pass. side one, had my wife turn the engine over and saw the tranny fluid come out. Knew I had the right line when I saw this. Also mounted my in front of the condenser.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Lucien,

I'm not "lifting" the front that often. However I do feel it if I take a corner a little fast, or when coming off the highway in a curving exit ramp that it is leaning more. It just feels like the car is leaning more, so I am trying to think of ways to tighten it up.
         I know that I have waited all this time before deciding to do something about it, but it is starting to bug me. Or, it could be that I am comparing my car with all the improvements that are coming out in the 05's. Right now these are ideas I'm just kicking around, and I figure with all the experince from the crew here I can glean some knowledge.

Mark
  • Options
    If you do install a significantly larger rear sway bar, please go to an autocross or similar event to find out how the car behaves. I'd hate for you to discover lift-throttle oversteer in the rain on an offramp...

A bigger swaybar could be the answer, though. What you're describing is what they're made for-- stiffer springs would be the other alternative and you feel those all the time.

-Colin
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    In the snow is good training too, just make sure you have plenty of space. My Forester is eager to wag the tail in the snow (with 18mm vs. 13mm stock rear sway).

It's still very controllable. Stay on the gas, you feel the power shifting to the front wheels, they pull you out of the skid like magic.

-juice
  • Options
    I'm sure Mike & Dave will try and talk me into coming to one of the auto-crosses. I'm the type that would want to experiment in a controlled environment so as to learn what I am doing, before getting out on the road.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    ALK IMHO is totally un-needed and un-helpful. The only person I know who might have had enough power to spin one of the inside front wheels is adam with his turbo, and he was spinning it just as often before he removed the ALK as after he removed it.

Get some sways, end links, and upgraded springs :) Oh and COME to an auto-x already! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Mike-

All in good time. Right now I am overseeing the renovation of my Mom's building, and getting ready to move her down to the 1st floor. That's why I haven't done anything lately.

Mark
  • Options
    Yeah you have been quiet lately! If you need any help just let us know we can always lend a hand! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. Be careful of what you offer though:-)

Mark
  • Options
    I've been "modifying" my girlfriend's new (to her) house for the last while... stripping 4-6 layers of wallpaper, repairing drywall, soon painting and carpeting.

I think I prefer modding cars. :)

-Colin
  • Options
    Colin-

I'm not that nuts, er, industrious:-) One of the hardest things I did was weed out contractors to get the right one. And to keep this on topic, I hope to be able to do some minor repairs on my Subaru soon.

Mark
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I PM'ed you at that other board re endlinks but my inbox was full. Drop me a line when you can.

Ed
  • Options
    excuse me, what? Is this the one who checked you out on your bike or did I miss something?
  • Options
    loosh, info is in Cafe. :)

-Colin
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p3242c8d92b769c3433c9- - 51a1088528a8/fbc349ff.jpgPictures of the 17" Rota sub zeros, also new JDM clear tailamps.

The last pic. is my mod for clear front corners.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
  • Options
    Loosh, I really love this car, and I am pleased with how well the Sub Zero's look, more to the point how much better they handle.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I'm impressed! Immaculate as usual, and love the new wheels.

-Colin
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    That sure is sharp looking Pat.

Looks like you're having a dry summer from the looks of the grass.

-Brian
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    ...but I got a set of very low mileage stock WRX wheels for $250 from a guy on nasioc. They wouldn't fit over his highly modified brakes! Just for fun I had called a dealership to ask them what they charge for ONE of these wheels. Wow.

I think these are a great improvement over the plastic wheel covers and steel wheels that come stock with the TS. What I didn't realize until after insallation was that the WRX tires are 2" larger in diameter than the TS tires. So much for my idea of using a stock TS wheel for a full size spare.

Photo here:
    http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/wheels/wrxwheel.jpg

Also made a little writeup for the jacking procedure, that question seems to come up now and again:
    http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/jack

The writeup is now on scoobymods under miscellaneous, as it's not really a mod but just info.

Pat, the wagon looks great!

utahsteve
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Thanks Steve.

Does anyone have info on jacking up one SIDE? That would make front<>back tire rotations a breeze.

Jim
  • Options
    yeah, it has been over 90 degrees some days over 100 with humidex for a couple of weeks now, we had a real wet spring then boom.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Sweet rims. They look like they'll aid in brake cooling, not to mention they do a great job showing those off.

2" bigger rims? I thought they were 16" vs. 15" for the TS.

I use wood, like you do, to protect from damage. I use pressure treated wood that's a little thicker, though. The wood absorbs the punishment, so the car stays intact.

Jim: I have used a long 2"x4" to lift the side. I run a piece of wood along the entire side, between the two jack points, to spread the weight, it's always worked for me. Try at your own risk of course. The key is to drill a slot into the wood so it doesn't slip off.

-juice
  • Options
    outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    Juice: 2" greater *circumference tires*, sorry. Got my terminology twisted. You're right about the rim size, 15" to 16" diameter. What I had (incorrectly) assumed was that the circumference would be the same, it's not. If I go to a 50 tire instead of 55, it'll be closer in circumference.

I have gotten feedback from a few people using other things between the jack and diff, including: metal backed rubber pad, rubber floor mat sections, and even a hockey puck.

utahsteve
  • Options
    Yeah, do a Plus One and you could keep that rim as a spare.

The donut is probably useless if the new tires are that big.

-juice
  • Options
    dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    Hi,
    Just got my 2004 and wondering, since the radio changed from my 2003 model: what is Subaru's recommendation, if any, for installing satellite radio in this car? Preferred receivers, type of hookup, antenna, etc.

Thanks!
    Dave
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

Actually, what do you do in your case -- didn't you go with bigger rims for Sandy than the spare?

Ken
  • Options
    Yes, and tires, too.

I keep the spare at something like 40psi, knowing I can always air down. Also, both my front and rear differentials are open.

I thought about getting a 5th rim and tire, but it does not fit! Ugh.

Note to Subaru - make that tire well just a liiii-iitle bigger please.

-juice
  • Options
    The 60K service yesterday went well. They didn't replace the O-ring though as they found no leaks. I did need new brake pads front and rear (nearly 56K on the originals is pretty darn good IMO) and the rotors were resurfaced.

I undid a previous mod by removing the Amsoil air filter and replacing it with the OEM paper variety. After some time I've come to the conculsion that any performance gains were solely in my head - specifically in my ears with the increased roar through the snorkus. I may be wrong so of course I retained the Amsoil filter.

I also added the enormous mod of...wait for it...adding an additional plastic coat hanger loop to the passenger side grab handle. I travel a lot for work and often have to wear suits when I do, so I thought it would come in handy at some time.

Ed
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Just recognize that the passenger rear window is what you use to check your blind spot. You'll reduce visibility hanging things there. I sure don't want to hear about one of our regulars in an accident.

Jim
  • Options
    Understood. Better perhaps to use one of those hanger thingies that loops around the back of the front seat headrests.

Almost 56K in 3 yrs. 6 mos. is a lot but there are many who do much more. Sometimes I wish for a company car but such is unlikely in the America of 2003; besides it'd likely be something I wouldn't enjoy driving as much as this car.

Sorry for the digression.

Ed
  • Options
    How much HP does that mod add? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    None. It takes away 3hp.

Anyway, I moved it over to the driver's side so there are two hooks there now. Any more and I'll be able to hang a shower curtain.

Ed
  • Options
    My friend did that on his Tempo. I swear it increases chassis rigidity.

-juice
  • Options
    gimme a break. There is no way to increase Tmpo chassis rigidity. Turgidity is another matter
  • Options
    jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
    Increased rigidity and turgidity? This is starting to sound like an e-mail spam I regularly get :-)!

Jon
  • Options
    Put it this way, it didn't break in half. That's better than most Tempos! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Increased rigidity and turgidity? This is starting to sound like an e-mail spam I regularly get :-)!

GOOD ONE!!!

Len
  • Options
    Ok got back from vaca and am catching up...

While on vacation, with the help of some other subie folks we converted over the '96 Impreza L to a formidable autox/track car here is the mod list so far:

Rad Hoses
    B&M 29,000GVWR ATF Cooler
    KYB AGX Adjustable Struts
    Eibach Prokit Springs
    WRX Wheels with Toyo Proxie RA1 tires
    Front WRX Stock Rotors and Calipers
    Hawk HP+ Track/Street Pads
    Gutted Interior
    Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
    Rear Adjustable Whiteline Sway Bar 18-20-22mm
    Whiteline front and rear end-links
    Whiteline Upgraded rear swaybar mounts
    Removed the dented front bumper beam
    removed front wheel well liners
    Built aluminum frame to hold front bumper cover
    turn-signal intake
    NGK Plugs
    NGK Wires
    Momo Steering Wheel from WRX
    Water Wetter + Water for Radiator

Thats about it :)

-mike
  • Options
    To borrow an overworn acronym: TTIWWOP!

Let's see that puppy!

Ed
  • Options
    What the heck is that????

We haven't even started on any power mods yet. Most likely we'll just put on straight pipes with resonators in the rear, and then next summer do a WRX motor swap into it and full cage.

-mike
  • Options
    TTIWWOP = This Thread Is Worthless WithOut Pictures

I want to see the car!

Ed
  • Options
    I can't believe paisan didn't know what that was. :)

-Colin
  • Options
    hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    www.spdusa.com - he did a very similar conversion with his old impreza and it looks sweet

hg
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I got to see paisan working on it at a recent installfest. :-)

Soon it will be like the RalliSpec car I saw at an auto-x. Old Mitsu hatchback with an EVO engine. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    That's a great page, I just briefly looked at it, but it will be helpful for sure.

The car does look horrid though. It's a combination of primer and green.

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    mike-
    Not like we're going to go cruising with it picking up chicks ;-)

-Dave