Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    That's what I'm seeing. Definitely not enough paint. It doesn't matter that you saw it on the top of the line Accord, we Honda fans love Honda because we know we can get a quality ride no matter how low the price is. All Hondas (based on my experience) have two things in common, reliability and quality.

I am really disappointed.
  • Options
    crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I only seem to notice them on the silver and silver-green colored cars. I have yet to see a black, red, white, or blue car with the paint problem. Maybe it's a problem with the paint itself? Maybe not enough pigment to cover the panels?
  • Options
    glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    92 Civic VX with 115K miles had check engine light come on a few times and mileage started varying from norm, both better and worse. Excess hydrocarbons in emissions also. Honda tech. read engine code 48. How much do oxygen sensors (36531-P07-003) typically cost and how many miles should they last? See in post #95 from six months ago a quote for about $300.00. I'm getting an installed quote of a little over $500.00.
  • Options
    glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    College Hills Honda and hparts.com both have the wide band oxygen sensor for about $266. NAPA and some others want about $329. Any other reliable Honda part sources? How many miles should these last? Anything tricky about changing this out?
  • Options
    jsteufeljsteufel Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 CIVIC LX has a very annoying wind noise mainly at the drivers side. Sounds like there was a snowstorm outside. Dealer thinks i should turn on the radio. [no kidding] Being a retired body man i find it a challenge to get at the root of the problem myself. But so far i have been unable to locate the source. I taped off the windshield, door, door window, mirror etc. Nothing helps.
  • Options
    mrowens42mrowens42 Member Posts: 15
    In heavy rain my Civic wanders from side to side at highway speed. Only lasts a few minutes. Happens when I first start out. 32K on tires but still has good tread. This just started. Any ideas?
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Do you have wide tires? is the highway surface very smooth, are you going faster than 65mph
    this could have a great affect on the car behaviors
    or have you notice if the road have any groove like the one they leave when the peel a layer of the road off?

greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    lexor2lexor2 Member Posts: 11
    Howdy all. I have a problem with the clutch not engaging if the car has sat for a few days. Pushing the clutch in feels kinda mushy and it will not go into gear. The only way to get a response is to shift into first or reverse and then push the pedal to the floor and pray for engagement. Once the car is moving, I am able to nurse it through the gears and after a short run it starts to behave. I am new to this '94 Del Sol and there was no owners manual so I am planning on getting underneath to search for the clutch slave (?) cylinder to check the fluid. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm facing in the way of solving this problem?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    At that age, you probably should change the hydraulic fluid completely. Your local Honda dealer should be able to order an owner's manual for you. Or you can get it online, along with the Honda Service Manual for your Del Sol, at Helminc.com.

:)
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    How do you know how old lexor2 is? :)
  • Options
    lexor2lexor2 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks guys. For the record, I am very, very Old. Got a Haynes book and located the slave resevoir. It was empty. No surprise. Filled it and solved everything. I bought this from a guy who had bought it two months ago as a surprise graduation gift for his daughter. Spent big bucks painting it and new upholstery. Daughter could not handle the shift problem and finally walked home from her first solo test drive and Vowed never to drive a stick shift again. I was the winner on this one. Reminds me of 25 years ago when I went through about four Porsche 914's in a row.
  • Options
    jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    When is the next generation Civic supposed to be released? Any major changes for 2004?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I kinda doubt if everything is "solved".

If your slave cylinder was empty, the fluid had to have leaked out somewhere. Probably a bad clutch master or slave cylinder.

Better keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I was amazed at Edmunds' first place rating of the Civic. Here's my gripe list with my 2002 EX:

Wind whistles thru seat belt anchors

Floor mat interferes with heel placement by gas pedal

Glass rattles in frame when window partially raised and door closed

Doors have to be slammed when all windows closed, worse if fan (HVAC) is running

Fan puts out a dismal volume of air. You don't really feel an air flow until 3/4 of max fan speed

Shifter hangs up when shifting out of first and clunks into second in cold weather.

The dash panel comes apart when you remove an accessory from the cigarette lighter

The door panels move in and out as the windows are closed and opened

AC perfomance is mediocre at best (couple that with low blower output as a culprit)

Driver's seat rocks (fixed). But now squeaks every time I brake.

Numerous rattles from the dash and sunroof when interior is cold.

Seatbelt produces scuff markes on armrest of door because of little clearance

No folding outside mirrors - Hyundai puts them on the Elantra

No pull-style door handles

Way too much float in rear suspension

And, as if to insult every Civic buyer who wants a basic safety item like ABS, not available at ANY cost on the mid-level LX.
  • Options
    jonjuliejonjulie Member Posts: 11
    NO ONE CAN FIGURE THIS PROBLEM OUT. YOU CAN BE DRIVING ALONG 50-60 AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR WILL START CHOKING AND ACTING LIKE IT'S GOING TO DIE OUT. WE'VE CHANGED FUEL FILTER, SPARK PLUGS, FUEL PUMP, IGNITION RELAY SWITCH....NOBODY....INCLUDING HONDA CAN FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!!
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    There are alot of possibilities that it could be. Could it be bad fuel or have you had several fill ups since the problem started? Have they tried a coil yet? Cap and rotor? If there is any more information you give on when it happens and what has been done? Does the car stall? Hot or cold when it happens, wet out or dry, engine temp? Stuff like that.
  • Options
    mrowens42mrowens42 Member Posts: 15
    The windshield wiper on the driver's side makes a slapping noise when it reaches the end of its travel. This it the third set of Anco wipers its
    happened with. I know this doesn't sound like a big problem, but to me it's really annoying. Especially since it has been raining 3 days in a row. Any solutions? Has anyone tried the new Bosch wipers?
  • Options
    TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    The Civic has always run in 4-year cyles. Last new version was the '01 - nothing major expected to change until the '05.

Just drove my dad's '01 LX coupe 1400 miles in two days. Cruised at 80 like a rocket, fully loaded with people and boxes. Averaged 37 MPG with the Auto trans and air on at an average speed of 80 mph. Great little car.
  • Options
    Actually Hondas are on 5-year cycles now. So '04 should offer some additional goodies and a refreshing but no major redesign until '06.

Two problems I have experienced cruising at 80 in any Civic: noise and inadequate air conditioning.
  • Options
    kstoriekstorie Member Posts: 1
    I hope someone can help, this problem is driving me insane. I've had it to two garages and replaced the alternator coil and the computer and still have the problem. Sometimes the car won't start, it may start again 5 minutes later or 2 days later. The technican swears it was the computer but then it took 3 tries to start it. I'm thinking maybe a wiring problem. The bad thing is, no one can help until it messes up again and I could be stranded anywhere anytime.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Well if you want to try something thats not that expensive try a 1.main fuel relay 2.tw sensor or both at the same time. Or if your problem happens more so cold or in damp weather try a distributor cap and rotor. There are other possibilities of course, especially if using after market parts, but those or the ones I would start with.. Good luck
  • Options
    robw64robw64 Member Posts: 76
    We have a 1999 Honda Civic (LX 4-door) which required it's first new battery this weekend, as well new battery post connectors due to extreme corrosion. After installation of the new battery, the engine idles very low and very rough. Everything else seems fine...windows, audio, lights, etc. We've searched the owner's manuals to find any info about the possibility of the vehicle's computer needing to be re-set or broken in again, but can find nothing. I saw in another town hall posting forum 2 messages with similar situations (but no responses). Anyone have an idea what has happened and what we need to do?

Thanks!
  • Options
    It is very possible that the computer just needs to re-learn its idle position. To do this the car just needs to be at operating tempand sitting at idle for 10 min. with all electrical components off such as radio,A/C,rear defoger, headlights and blower. Good luck
  • Options
    joseaoe1joseaoe1 Member Posts: 3
    My 1993 Civic may be starting to have the same problems although not yet as severe:
    here is a website that I found that discusses
    Main Relay problems, troubleshooting and replacement:
    http://techauto.tripod.com/92-95relay.htm
    http://techauto.tripod.com/gifcivic.htm
    I'm hoping that I can diagnose and quickly resolve my own intermittent starting problems. Let us know what you find
    out.
  • Options
    paul2003capaul2003ca Member Posts: 2
    bought a new Canadian Honda Civic LX a month ago. today washed the car and noticed that the paint is chipping off in weird areas, like the roof, trunk and doors :( i'm a very cautious driver, and pretty sure, those weren't stones that caused it. went to the dealership and the service manager agreed that those didn't look like stone chips. i've read many posts about crappy paint on silver civics, but a month after i got the car. thats too much. if anyone had anything like that, please share your expirience. thank you.
  • Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    My 2000 silver Civic hatchback is holding up fine (bought and operated in Houston ((34 K miles))
    asembled in Canada)
  • Options
    yosocrazyyosocrazy Member Posts: 1
    I own an '03 Civic. Every now and then when I am stopped or below 5 mph my shift knob won't go into first gear. It catches halfway and I have to shove it in really hard. I've got the clutch pedal pushed down all the way. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Options
    When that happens, just let out the clutch pedal and quickly push it in again.
  • Options
    lisshawilllisshawill Member Posts: 5
    We own a 2003 Civic Sport - Canadian version on the American EX I think. Anyway no problems with getting into first. The shifter is a pleasure to use and it sold my wife and I on the car. We have a GM that is manual and shifting that car is like working with a mule!
    Better take it in to have it looked at. We have had no problems with that.
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    Shifting is so habitual for me that I can't tell you about 'into 1st', but I can tell you that what you're describing is exactly what I had going into reverse on my old ('99) Si (at a dead stop, of course).
    Double clutching, like Bodble described, is the thing to do.
    I don't think you have a transmission problem. If you do, it'll get worse. At your next service, ask 'em to check the clutch.
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What I don't get is Honda has gone to a 110K mile tune-up interval, but the timing belt still requires replacement at 60K miles. Why can't someone develop a timing belt that'll last 100K?
  • Options
    Most of Hondas timing belts are 105,000 -110,000 mile belts. There are a very few areas in the country however that have to follow the more severe driving recomendation which maybe the 60,000 you are talking about. I am not sure of the severe schedule mileage as we dont use it..
  • Options
    I live In Cheyenne Wyoming. The Civic has the 110,000 mile tune-up interval, it's just the timing belt that needs to be replaced at 60K, unless the salesman I talked to was full of beans. Do the new Civics have an interference or a non-interference engine?
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I just checked the manual on my '02 Si. Same 110K mile interval for tune up. Absolutely no mention of interval for the timing belt. Given the completeness of the maintenance sched otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it for at least 110K miles.
    To get it from the horse's mouth, registering on the Honda site and asking there seems the best move.

If you're making book on the salesman being full of beans, e-mail me. I'll place a bet.
  • Options
    Does the temp stay at 100*f or higher for long periods of time there. If so then your car if it has a timing belt (some do and some have a chain)would be replaced at 60,000 miles under the severe driving recomendation. Severe driving is high temps, freezing temps, less than 5 mile trip on a constant basis or extremly dusty roads. If any of the conditions are you then you can look uo the severe schedule in the owners manual. All others under the normal are replaced at 110,000...
  • Options
    mi03toymi03toy Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe. I love the car, everything about the car is great. Except for the fact that the rear window is "fogging" up on my back windshield. It looks like fog right over both rear speakers and the back taillight. It's a very large distraction, especially at night. I was just wondering if anyone else has expericened this problem. I've asked other people who have Civic's, they have the same problem. When I called the dealership, they told me that they had never heard of this problem. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    is the fog on the inside or outside. I noticed in the last few days that if i drive slow in high humidity weather with the A/C on, the outside fogs up. You may have the A/C vents positioned so that they blow right where the fog forms.
    If you see fog building up on the inside, use the "defogger" and turn on your A/C.
    Check if the recirculation button is engaged, then disengage it.
  • Options
    redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    Fogging you mentioned may be a film that becomes more visible in high humidity. I think this is from the interior plastics "off-gassing".

Suggest you clean it using summer washer fluid. Get ready, this can be a chore. A paper towel on the end of a paint stir stick will help you get in the corners. Dry with a clean cloth only. This may take a couple of tries, then repeat in a week or so.

Good luck... enjoy you new EX.
  • Options
    glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    My wife bought an 02 Civic in Feb 02, it did what you are talking about for the first 6 to 8 months. It was a real pain in the but, but it did stop. I'm sure it was the interior out-gassing. The more the car sits in the hot sun the faster the problem will go away. Hope this eases your mind a bit.
  • Options
    Just tried to change the air filter on my 2002 Civic. Sounds like a simple job doesn't it? Well as soon as I attempted to back out the bolts on the cover, the bolt AND nut (which is held in by the lower plastic housing) began to turn. Upshot is: the lower plastic housing is ruined because the nuts broke free from their weak anchoring. Great design, Honda. I'm going to get the dealer to replace the entire lower housing (probably would cost big $) for free since they were the ones to last check the condition of the air filter and over torqued the bolts. Still, a stupid stupid design.
  • Options
    marcus_westmarcus_west Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I own a 2 door Honda Civic EX which is blue. I read in the owners manual where it talked about severe and normal maintenance schedules. I live in Middle Georgia where the heat is a little less than 90 degrees most times. I put a lot of miles on my car because I have driven 6200 miles in the first 2 1/2 months of owning my Civic. Should I follow the normal or severe schedule? Is the cost of maintenance really that much different? What would some of you think I should do?
  • Options
    slickracerslickracer Member Posts: 38
    Depends on what kind of oil you use. I would change conventional oil at 4,000 to 5,000 and synthetic at maybe 8,000. I can't imagine leaving oil in my Civic for 10,000 miles!
  • Options
    "I can't imagine leaving oil in my Civic for 10,000 miles!"

Maybe you can't imagine this, but the engineers at Honda (who probably know something about building engines) do imagine it. The oil change industry have bamboozled the public into believing that oil should be changed at 3000 miles and have laughed all the way to the bank. The problem is, Jiffy Lube doesn't build engines, Honda does. And now we have a hard time getting out of this wasteful habit. Follow the manual. If you drive normally, change it at 10,000 miles. I'm not aware of any mention of synthetics in the manual and so I would stick to conventional oil.
  • Options
    slickracerslickracer Member Posts: 38
    You may be correct....but correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Honda in the business of selling cars? Seems to me they don't want them to last 150,000 - 200,000 miles.
  • Options
    brubacherbrubacher Member Posts: 2
    i've been looking into buying a used civic for about a month now, and have been having less than good luck (missing good deals three times now, by mere hours and fussing with a credit union.) anyway, i am afraid im starting to make rash decisions... i found a 99 civic 4d for 7995, inside looks clean, decent mileage, but the exterior paint/finish is peeling in odd places like the middle of the hood, with no evidence of why? no rust no hail damage, no sign of ill-care???? is this car worth considering, can that sort of thing be fixed sort of easily (inexpensively). if anyone has any imput, i'd be ever so grateful. thanks
  • Options
    brubacherbrubacher Member Posts: 2
    my sister was driving an 89 accord with 400,000 miles until she crashed it. and being 16 she wasn't the first driver or more importantly a responible car owner. id say they're making cars to last--how else do you build such a huge fan base.
  • Options
    I don't agree with the 10K oil change interval, not because Hondas aren't built to take it, but because oil simply can't go that long. I've been doing research on oil for the last several years, following anaylsis results posted on various web sites. There hasn't been a single analysis posted on any comventional oil, under any driving conditions, that's shown acceptable numbers past 5K-6K miles, and that's only for the very best conventionals. Some of the not so good ones are showing poor results at 3K. Now if we're talking a good full synthetic like Mobil 1 or Amzoil, that probably wouldn't have a problem going 10K, but conventionals, no way!
  • Options
    jander111jander111 Member Posts: 31
    Two weeks ago my friend come to me and ask me to check out a 93 accord with 90k miles. He was considering to buy it.

Shut off the engine, opened the oil filler cap, BLUE!!! smoke comes out. The filler hole has a thick, thick, thick dark brown or black sludge on it. The car is a one owner car, she has all the maintenance records with her.

The first oil change is 5000 miles, the second?? 14,500 miles. I didn't go any further. That 9500 miles change interval is the reason for a wasted engine.
  • Options
    What a pitty. Had she had the oil changed every 5K or less, that engine would just be getting broken in by now.
  • Options
    jander111jander111 Member Posts: 31
    LOL. Another friend has a 94 civic with 130k miles. looking into the oil filler hole, just shinny metal. She changed oil every 3-4k miles. The engine runs like new. These 90s Hondas can take some abuse, but with frequent oil change and proper care, they will run like forever.
This discussion has been closed.