Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    dedrunrdedrunr Member Posts: 8
    That's a 1998 Civic EX in my previous message. Not a 1988. Sorry.

Big Al
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    i worked on alot of Hondas. IF i remember correctly there should be two 13MM bolts on the top of it and as i recall most the rest of the stuff you see is for aiming and thing. Best advice i can give you is to GENTLY tug and pull and move the assembly until you can see for sure what is holding it on. I know that the Hondas of the late 90s are VERY easily put together. not hard at all to take the whole front end off....wonder if thats part of the reason the are stolen so much, but tahts another topic. GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    edsmomedsmom Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

I'm just about to buy a 95 Civic DX (1.5L) in VGC, 100k miles, runs good, sounds great, one owner, body great, handles like a new car, etc. I'm having my mechanic look it over before final sale tomorrow, and I wonder if there are any special problems he should be looking for. Seller says timing belt was just replaced, but my last car blew a head gasket (Dodge-famous for it) and chucked the engine, so now I'm not sure what to look for. My son mentioned tranny problems in the Civic, but he's got the Accord EX with the VTEC, so he thinks anything less isn't street-worthy. Any help? Auburn, I've appreciated your advice (in lurk) in the past, but anyone, really. And somebody tell me how to get him to give ME the 96 Accord, he can take the Civic!

Thanks, Melissa
  • Options
    bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    It's a good year and transmissions weren't an issue on it. It should be a good car, just make sure your mechanic puts it up on a lift to inspect for any leaks or damage. Make sure the owner can show a receipt for the timing belt work too. If Honda did the work, the cost would have been close to 500 dollars. They always change the water pump along with the belt. Even if an independent shop did the work and only changed the belt, it would have cost a few hundred. Good luck!
  • Options
    edsmomedsmom Member Posts: 3
    Thanks bd21, everything checked out. Turns out the owner kept very detailed records of the maintenance, and things look great now. Only one problem, the A/C doesn't seem to work, although the dealer said it did when they drove it (hmm!). At any rate, I'm paying a low price ($2750, but I'm trying to talk them down to $2500) so I guess I could afford to fix it if I have to. Apparently, it had been a problem before, the owner replaced the condenser and evaporater in June, 02. He named the shop, so I'm going to have them take a look at it.
  • Options
    snarkssnarks Member Posts: 207
    That Civic even with broken AC is worth more than $2750, so even at that price its decent. The thing that is worth gold on the car are maintenance records, a car with no maintenance could be a potential nightmare especially 8 years old. Good luck on your potential purchase.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    All sounds as if it should be a great car for the money. As with anything you buy you never can predict or even prevent future happenings. I went over a car my nephew bought head to toe and it had a clean bill of health, 2 weeks later the head gasket blew out, but lucky for him I could replace it cheap. All that said it sounds as if you should be fine. The A/C issue could be just about anything from a blown fuse to a freon leak so that will need looked at. Good luck
  • Options
    jcomesanajcomesana Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

We have a Honda Civic 2003 LX manual. Today it started making a screeching noise when depressing the clutch pedal. It doesn't make the noise consistently, and in fact I had trouble trying to make it again, but it did make it for a while. Any ideas? Thanks,

Juan
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ........just how long a Honda, any Honda, would last if a person bought one brand new and then followed the maintenance schedule listed in the owner's manual to the tee. I wouldn't be surprised to if they'd go 1,000,000 miles.
  • Options
    theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    Assume you drive 20,000 miles a year, will you drive same car for 50 years?
  • Options
    dalawdalaw Member Posts: 37
    Didn't this guy with a 1966 Volvo that has 2 million miles on it also has a Honda Accord with 1 million miles on it? Both with original engines on them.
  • Options
    cam03cam03 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, my 2003 honda ex civic has " clicking brakes". Almost everytime I press on the brakes I hear a click. However, the brakes seem to work fine. I've read that other civic owners have experienced this noise. I find this noise very annoying. Is this normal? Please advise!Thanks so much.
  • Options
    prowler161prowler161 Member Posts: 22
    The only time you should hear the brakes is shortly after you start the car when the anti-lock braking system is engaging in the EX Civic! And this noise in more electrical than a click noise. I have a 2003 Civic EX 5 speed coupe, and my brakes have never made a noise when braking. The owners manual states that during the first so many miles you should not slam the brakes for maximum brake life. unfortunately I had a Freight truck merge into my lane on top of me minutes after driving my car off the lot with 7 miles on the car, and I went from 70mph to 30 in seconds slamming the brakes to avoid an accadent. My brakes are still perfect after 7K.

I would have your brakes checked out by the dealer for free to fix this problem. Could be the brake Rotor, drum, or pads are faulty. Also, why does the EX have drums in the back. So stupid! I wish it was Disks all the way around!

Since you have an EX Civic, could you see if your car leans to one side or the other... Thank you
  • Options
    coquiscoquis Member Posts: 5
    Hi, the speedometer on my 94 Honda Civic LX automatic is going crazy & the check engine light comes up at same time. The reading is very erratic. The needle goes up and down not according to acceleration. Sometimes speedometer does not work at all while I'm driving, and the check engine light is on. I was told it could be the wire. I don't think is a major problem, but I need help. Please, give me some advise. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    is going out. That would explain both observations. Hoof it to the nearest carquest or similar and have them read the engine computer. that'll tell you what's really going on. obd-ii is great when it works... -m
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    I agree that it is most likely faulty wire to speed sensor or the sensor itself. Facing the front of the vehicle, on the left (passenger) side on top of the transmission toward the firewall, there is a plug. see if it loose. If it is not, then go to autozone or similar to have them pull the code. If it is speed sensor, it is not too difficult to replace, if it is the wire, it may get involved.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I currently have silver duct tape on the break to keep out moisture, but maybe I'll have time this weekend to replace the assembly. Maybe I'll just buy a repair manual for my Civic since most manuals have body disassembly instructions, and it would be a good thing to keep around for future problems.

Big Al
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think if rust doesn't get to it, probably any car can last forever if the owner sticks to the maintenance schedule religiously and keeps replacing parts as they wear out. Of course, this is assuming the guy lives forever and never has an accident. :)
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    if nothing else, to keep the jack base out of the mud at the side of the road ;) I have not seen a car manual that bad.
  • Options
    ...hidden within the trunk kind of allows you to forget they exist. Just two months ago I checked the spare tire pressure on my '98 EX for the first time and the dang thing had 5 psi. =:-0

Out of sight, out of mind.
  • Options
    ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    Used to have a 95 civic..had to replace the lens due to a rock going through it...(they used to be glass). Anyhow it was quite a struggle to get the thing out. I had to remove the side marker light to get to one of the mounting bolts and if I had to do it all over again I would have just taken the time to remove the front bumper as that seemed to be in the way and when I finally got it out I had to do some touch up work on the paint...then I would have to agree with bigfur to CAREFULLY tug to see where the mounting is done. I don't know if this is any help cauze maybe urs was a lot easier since its newer and all and maybe its already fixed but just make sure to take your time and give yourself a couple hours. I thought it would only take me about 30 minutes max but it turned into a 2 hour job.
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Yes, every carmaker can point to instances of super longevity. Even Hyundai and Yugo owners have cases of super mileage. Not just a Honda domain anymore. Of course, the Civic has a silly timing belt, so that if that breaks before the replacement schedule, it's curtains for the engine, nevermind a million miles.
  • Options
    I haven't yet tackled the job, but I appreciate you sharing your experience with this task. You can't have too much information before attempting something like this. I'm prepared to set aside half a day struggling with the replacement.

BTW, the dealer wanted $203 for the assembly, but I got it elsewhere for $115. Anybody out there who wants to know where I bought it can e-mail me backchannel at seealrun@yahoo.com
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    sure, the Civic has a timing belt, that, if it breaks, you are screwed. but why do people think that timing chains are somehow exempt from breaking? they break too - it is just that no one ever even gives them a thought. at least a timing belt gets regular maintenance, right?

plenty of Nissans end up needing timing chains..
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    There are two phillips screws behind the splash shields, and then clips along the top and bottom of the bumper (black clips if i recall). just be VERY careful if you go this route as to not scratch the paint when setting it down or otherwise. Let us know what happens and good luck
    Tom
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying about timing chains vs belts, but both have an up, and down side. Belts wear out and break without any warning signs. They are recommended to be replaced between 80,000 miles to 120,00 miles by most car companies. The sooner the better. If it breaks while driving, kiss your engine good bye. But one thing Justin was wrong about... belts do not get regular maintenance, they get replaced, and for a good amount of money too.

Now chains on the other hand are more reliable, and are said buy the car company that use them that the timing chain should last the "life" of the car. Now if that happens or not is up to the car! A factory defect, or weak chain could also result in a broken chain while driving and your engine is toast. But I think this happens less with chains than the use of a belt. Furthermore if your car creeps up on 200,000 miles or more, I would have the chain replaced or at least inspected. Again this is pretty expensive! I trust chains more, because of the fact that belts just snap, but I also drive a brand new Honda Civic, and it has a timing belt. Also if you drive an older Honda that is passing 100,000 miles while you are replacing the timing belt, replace the water pump too. This will make your car more reliable in the long run.
  • Options
    jdizzlejdizzle Member Posts: 1
    Hi I just recently purchesed a 2003 Honda Civic LX Coupe, since the first day I bought it there has been some sort of film on the windows and it comes back after I clean it. Ive been told that my radiator could be bleeding but that seem odd on a new vehicle, does anyone have this problem or know what it is thanks.
  • Options
    hieuchiluonghieuchiluong Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,

I just bought a new Honda Civic LX sedan 2004. One time, i got electric shocked when i opened and closed the door. What was the reason that make me get shock ? how can i avoid it ?

Please let me know, i appreciate that.
  • Options
    Any car can give you electric shocks. It is because of the static electricity on the car. One way to avoid it is to hold the metal part of your key with your fingers, touch the door with the key to discharge the car, then open the door.
  • Options
    jdizzle - I don't know if you got a manual with your car, chances are you did. In the manual it explains how to deal with the film on the inside of the windows. It is from the plastics curing with time. The best way is to use diluted vinegar once every couple of months. If you have film on the outside, then it is either from the hot wax that your local car wash uses, or just the road grime.

hieuchiluong - If you can remeber what you were wearing when you got shocked it would help you avoid it in the future. You will get more electric shocks in the winter as the air is drier. Try avoiding clothing and shoes of man made materials. And like mentioned before, touch a metal part of the car while scooting over the seat and gettting out.
  • Options
    mrowens42mrowens42 Member Posts: 15
    I just had the front struts replaced on my 2001 Civic EX. Although the car was 2,300 miles out of warranty, Honda replaced them at no charge and also gave me a loaner.I read posts that said that there were strut problems.However,I feel that they did not have to do this. My experience with the people at American Honda was great.
  • Options
    theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    You're lucky. I called American Honda and they said it's a wear and tear item and it will not be covered. But I ignored them. Took the car in last month and the dealer sent a mechanic to ride with me. After that, he said it's normal. I even pressed the front of the car in front of the mechanics to show him that the car moved up and down like there's no dampening. He still said it's normal. He said it should move above the initial level when it bounces back. I think that's bull crap but don't really give a ****. Cuz I trade the POS for a 04 Solara with every possible option. Too bad Honda. Trying to be cheap on one customer and lost this customer forever.
  • Options
    bakuropabakuropa Member Posts: 1
    At 8K miles the dealer just replaced both front struts. I had a clicking or popping sound when I turned the wheel at slow speeds. Needless to say I am not happy. Is this a know problem?

When the car is in park and I press the brake there is a click by the gear shift (automatic)
    Is this normal? The dealer said it was the child safety lock, unlocking.

When the car is in drive or reverse I also hear a click noise when I tap on the brake. This noise is at the brake pedal.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    bakuropa, is this similar to your first problem?

When I am backing down my driveway, I then turn the wheel to go down the street and go forwarward in first gear I hear one loud popping noise! My friend said it was the limited slip Differential, but I wonder if it is my struts, because the car is also taller on one side than the other. If anyone has any ideas, I would like to hear them please!!
  • Options
    The last problem you posted might be normal. When you first start the car, go into reverse, and start going and then when you first press the brake, a mechanical noise should be heard, a click or pop, and you might feel it on the brake peddle. This would be your Anti-Lock braking system clicking on. I know this from reading the manual, and having another car with the exact same noise. (1992 Saturn SL2 with Anti-lock brakes) -Jeff-
  • Options
    Prowler, I think the noise I hear is similar to yours. Whenever I put into "D" when my car is facing downhill, I would hear a loud metallic "clunk" 2 seconds after (while the car rolls). I am pretty sure that noise comes from my transmission, and it takes 2 seconds to fully engage into gear with my foot off the gas. But if I step on the gas right away, the transmission will engage instantly with no noise.
  • Options
    cam03cam03 Member Posts: 8
    This is in response to bakuropa(#2210). I too hear a click noise when I tap on my brake pedal. The noise is only from the pedal. The brakes seem to work fine and I don't know if the slight click means there is a problem. Maybe it is normal on the civic. My civic has 1000 miles on it and I have been hearing this brake pedal click from the beginning.If anyone knows about this I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you!
  • Options
    vdelimavdelima Member Posts: 1
    Hi! my '02 civic dx hesitates when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This only occurs sometimes and only when the engine is fully warmed up.
    It also happens when I'm going around corners from a complete stop.
    The Dealer has looked at it and can't reproduce the problem.
     Does anybody know whats going on?
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i really do think the "click" is the shifter lock thingy releasing. happens in Accord too.
  • Options
    partick1partick1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone please tell me how to remove the Honda Civic (1996) sidelight housing so I can replace the bulb? I don't want to force it out. Is there a special tool or technique?
  • Options
    mrowens42mrowens42 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone know how to turn off "service required" light?
  • Options
    ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    It's actually right in your owners manual on how to turn it off, but anyhow what you do is turn the key to the off position, hold down the button near the gauges(the trip reset button), then turn the ignition to the on (II) position and keep holding the reset button down for about 10 seconds and it will turn off.
  • Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I just bought a 2004 EX Civic Coupe, and it has a vibration at around 70MPH. I had the tires balanced, and the vibration got worse. Anyone had this problem?? I have H rated Bridgestone Potenza tires, and I do not think they are very good. Any suggestions. Forget the dealer, they don't do tires. (They said)
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    My '02 Si was delivered with a slow tire leak (inventory sticker 'tween the bead and the rim) and had a similar vibration. Checked the pressure? Mine disappeared when the leak did (no thanks to the dealer).
  • Options
    jsue58jsue58 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I own a 2002 civic ex and I
    too have the infamous seat rocking problem.
    Can anyone clarify whether bushing replacement
    alone will suffice ?

The dealer said they would replace bushings
    and height adjuster mechanism for now.
    I would like to avoid having to go in there again.

daveyd mentioned he read somewhere that rail replacement is also needed? I would like to know where he read that.

(Is there a way to email a user? Can't seem to find it).

Also how can we get the TSB's ? I found the summary for the problem on the web from ALLDATA, but not the recommended solution, as it seems Honda does not want us to have access to this. Go figure!

I am going to try the Honda site when I get my VIN
    in hand but I have a feeling they won't make the info available there either.
  • Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Hi. I had the tires re-balanced, and now the vibration is gone. I guess the other balancer was out of calibration. I looked very hard at the Civic Si, mostly because you were so pleased with yours, and I must say that I really liked it, but again, only an automatic will do as my wife does not want to learn to drive a stick. She says that sticks are old fashioned and stupid, so I have to get rid of her, or get an automatic. :) Also, I looked at the RSX S,and that car just rode too hard to even consider even if it had an automatic. I think that the Civic Si is a better buy than the RSX, and the EX Civic is probably the best buy in the Honda line for what you get for the price. The ride is way way better than the RSX Auto I traded in, and I had 48000 miles on the RSX and it still brought 14500 trade, and I got the EX for invoice plus l00 bucks. I really gave some thought to buying an Si also and keep the wife out of it. :))
  • Options
    rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Had a bad valve stem replaced on my 00 Civic about a year ago by Discount tire (Honda doesn't do warranty work on tires I was told (Houston here) and that has been one of my biggest problems to date, yea ! (no re-balance needed thank goodness, it can be hard to find a good tire & wheel person, any recommendations in my area) ?
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I'm glad you got rid of the vibes. Too nice a car to have an irritant.

I'm glad, too, ya'll are liking your EX. (Ya did the right thing re the tranny. I hope she deserves ya.)
  • Options
    [\i]#2215 of 2225 '02 civic jerkiness or hesitaition by vdelima Oct 22, 2003 (10:14 am)
    Hi! my '02 civic dx hesitates when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. This only occurs sometimes and only when the engine is fully warmed up.
    It also happens when I'm going around corners from a complete stop.
    The Dealer has looked at it and can't reproduce the problem.
     Does anybody know whats going on? [\]

First question would be, how many miles do you have on the car? Second, when was the oil, and oil filter changed last time (miles, months) Air filter, and other maintenance done on the car? Have you checked the oil level?

If you say you get hesitation shifting from 1st to second while cornering, at what RPM are you shifting?
  • Options
    civic607civic607 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Civic EX 1.6 sohc v-tec, am the third owner, once the engine warms and the tach is between 1500 and 3000 RPMs. There are times when the engine has no power, this is intermittent, no rhyme or reason. No matter what gear or speed.
    If I push in the clutch, the tach will rise.
    Let out the clutch and it will straighten out for a while.
    Also, pressing or releasing the throttle will help.
    Replaced plugs, wires etc. fuel filter also.
    No engine codes show, no lights have come on.
    Anyone have any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.