Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I forgot to ask you, what tire pressures do you use? Have you looked at the Si hatchback with the shifter on the dash? I thought it would be silly, but I found that it was at least as good as the usual shifter position. If I an not wrong, your car is a coupe, and not the hatch? Have you ever driven the hatch? My new EX is to have 30 Psi all around, but I lowered this to 28 all around and got a MUCH better ride, and if there is any difference in the handling, I cannot detect it. What do you think?
  • Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I had a '99 Si coupe, stolen and totalled in Decemeber. Loved it.
    I replaced it with an '02 hatch Si. It's very different but every bit as lovable. The shifter position I like better; and the flat floor, HB space, and outside access to the rear I find much more convenient. As you probably know, the HB is torquier, smoother, heavier, and stiffer; so, it feels a bit less like a screaming 'sports car'. As a fun daily driver, I think the HB is a better car though I also think it has a bit less potential as a sports car than the coupe. The thing I like least about the HB is the black interior; everything shows.
    Paying less for the HB than the coupe doesn't hurt, either. FWIW, I think the HB at MSRP is a major marketing flub which becomes a major bargain at street price.
    I run the recommended pressures (32 front, 30 rear), and I'm pleased though my taste runs to road feel over smooth.
  • Options
    I went back to 30 psi all around, and the feel of the road is, just as you said, preferable to smooth. The civic has a little chop in it's ride, and I am surprised at this because the brochure touts a "smooth and quiet ride" as being a sales point. Don't get me wrong, the ride is much better than my RSX auto, but I was looking for a better ride than I got. I would have thought that the 60 series tires would not be so stiff, also, I wonder how many miles it takes to get the suspension broken in. I do not understand how the Si I drove last week had a better ride than the EX. What the hell??? I still think it is those Bridgestone Potenza tires, they just do not seem right.
  • Options
    I've not been in a new EX, so I don't know. My thought, though, is to give it a gentle break-in and some time. I bet you love it.

What color, BTW?
  • Options
    reverendpaulreverendpaul Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if there is a defect in the rear window on the '02 Honda Civic LX. I just closed my door and the rear window shattered. Do they cover it at the dealer?
  • Options
    crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I've got an 03 LX Sedan and never had that problem. How frightening! I hope no one was in the back seat at the time.

Is your car a sedan or coupe? Did you notice any scratches, chips, or damage to the rear window before it shattered?
  • Options
    mrowens42mrowens42 Member Posts: 15
    JSUE58 I had/have same problem with my 2001 Civic EX. Dealer said it was " normal." I don't believe them, but decided to live with it. Seems ok now. The NHTSA Bulletin Number is 01057 if tthat is any help.
    Thanks to Ncampbell 2002 for info on service required light.
  • Options
    I got the new color, magniesium metallic, with a black interior. I now have nearly 3000 miles on it and it is getting smoother already, so I hope to see a continuing improvement. Saw your post about your trip...good, better,and best. :)
  • Options
    Sounds very nice, very nice indeed. I bet it continues to smooth out. I've had my Si about 8K miles now, and I'm only just now getting good gas mileage (28 in the city with today's fill up).
  • Options
    I hate to tell you this, but my last four tanks were: 40 41 39 43. No joke, I am amazed. However the hiway number on the sticker is 38 so this is not too far off. Allmost all miles on hiway. Snicker,snicker! And this with the automatic trans. What would the stick do??? 50??
  • Options
    These new Honda engines are great, IMO. Power means gas burning; and what's great with these mills is that if you use less power you also use less gas.

I kinda doubt a stick would improve your highway mileage much, unless it were geared taller. You're doing great as it is.
  • Options
    Maybe what you say is true, but truth be known, I would rather have the 160 HP car. That was the best thing about my previous RSX Auto, but that car just rode too hard all of the time, and the rear end bounced around on rough roads to the point that one never knew which way this thing would go. Great drivetrain. Bad chassis since Honda took the links out of the rear suspension, and got rid of double a arms. I would gladly pay more for the old suspension, and I like the hatchback body style much better than the coupe. Other than that, smooth and quiet is worth something, but I guess I just want it all. Sniffle snoffel.
  • Options
    LOL, it's all in the package.

Suspension you like, tranny and hp less than optimum, the gal you like

vs.

Suspension you like, optimal tranny and hp, no gal that you like

You pays your money and makes your call, LOL. IMO, you done good.

(My gal leaves the driving to me, so I get it all [except the mpg, of course]. LOL)
  • Options
    Thanks, I think you hit it dead center. Very few can have it all. But I can try...:)
  • Options
    Enjoy the package!

If it's a choice right hp and tranny vs. right gal, only an idiot would do different.
  • Options
    wwlccpwwlccp Member Posts: 25
    Hi! I was looking at slavage vehicles and I was wondering, the worse case scenario of what could happen to a car that has been flooded. What I mean is what is the things I would need to replace/check and how much would it cost since I saw a nice cheap flooded Civic.

Will
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    Just purchased a 2004 Honda Civic EX 4 door. We had the dealer trade the Bridgestone tires for Michelin tires as part of the deal. I would not drive a vehicle with Firestone products on the road. ---Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    If the car was totaled due to a flood usally that means that salt water was involved or electronic damage. Salt water does too much damage to start replacing items, because of the corrosion it will due to wire harnesses, computers, connectors, fuse boxes, seat buckles,srs components and solenoids the car is usally unpredictable and unsafe. Fresh water is not as bad but can still cause havick in the electrical components and seat belts. All in all most cars in salvage are only good for farm or off road use and in some states cant be inspected on the salvage title.
  • Options
    traveller909traveller909 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 93 dx (112k) up a steep hill in Vermont, the other day, when suddenly it began sputtering and losing power, which it has done ever since. It feels like a plug isn't firing (the nature of the car's vibration) but I replaced them with no result. A friend told me the fuel filter may have gotten plugged up due to the angle of the hill and the gas running to the back of the tank, but I also replaced that with no luck. So the car still vibrates/hesitates and has very little power compared to when I bought it. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    smithie1smithie1 Member Posts: 4
    Just tried to start my 6-month old, 2003 Civic EX this afternoon, and, simply, everything is dead. The car won't start, the lights and locks won't work and the remote entry won't work. No response at all anywhere.

I checked the fuses, and they look fine. My lights were not left on to drain the battery. The dealer is closed today. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I wish I had enough sense to make the dealer trade tires also, but it never occured to me to ask. I have been thinking about changing these tires anyway, but It kills me to throw away new tires with only a few thousand miles on them. The tire stores do not want to give anything for the take-offs so it is a dead loss. I have been thinking about the Falken Zies ZE512 that CR rated best in their latest tire report. Any other suggestions? I too do not want a Firestone product, but I just was not paying attention when I took delivery of the EX Coupe. How much did you pay for the Michelins,or was it concealed in the deal? They seem to be very pricey, are they worth it?? Also, three balanceing tries have helped the vibration, but it is still with me, and the whole car seems unsettled. It is really starting to annoy me no end. Why in hell did Honda choose these junk tires for their new cars???
  • Options
    Sounds like your battery is dead, or one of the cables fell off. That happened to a friend of mine, and to this day we could not figure how that cable fell off. Hope this is of some help.
  • Options
    snarkssnarks Member Posts: 207
    Take your Civic to a Bridgestone tire dealer. The warranty is by them not purely Honda, this is typical of car manufacturer's. These are pretty decent tires I have had two sets including OEM on a 95 Civic. My guess is that the tire itself is out of round possibly otherwise a mechanical issue.

Sidenote, I'm not convinced that the Firestone issue previously was their fault purely. Ford was equally at fault for not specing the proper air pressure, and owners for not properly maintianing their tire, it was unfortunate no one really stepped up to the plate. I guess Ford is richer/stronger and they got less of a bad rap for their poor decision and partially poor design on their part.
  • Options
    Here is the deal on the new 2004 Honda Ex. The total price of the vehicle was $20,177.50. This included"------- an addition of a cassette player to the sound system, mud guards front and rear, Michelin tires in place of the Bridgestone tires, 7 year 100,000 mile O deductable extended warranty, and New Jersey Sales tax & vehicle registration. I think that this was a fair price. This is our 5th Honda vehicle from this dealer. The 1997 Accord, the 2000 Accord, and the 2000 Civic were leased vehicles. Our 2003 Accord and now the 2004 Civic are both purchases. Both the Accord and the Civic have the extended warranty. On the 2000 Civic, I had the dealer change the Firestone Tires for the Michelin tires. Since we purchased the 2004 Civic out of dealers stock, we had an oportunity to drive two identical vehicles. One had a rough ride, and I suspected a tire problem, so as such, we asked to drive another unit, and we chose that vehicle. I am not a fan of Firestone tires. We have an EXCELLENT dealer. The service is OUTSTANDING! They also have a fleet of 30 Honda "loan-a-cars" when your vehicle is in for service. It is a "car club", and all it cost you is $15.00 dollars per year / per vehicle to enjoy this service. When you use these vehicles you are responsible for the fuel. ----Just my opinion. -----Greg
  • Options
    Life is TOO short! Enjoy your vehicle. Your life is worth something!!!!!---- Get new tires. -------Greg
  • Options
    Sounds like your happy with your purchase, good for you. My sister in law just picked up a similar car, just stock 5spd 2004 Civic EX Sedan for around $16,400 without any extras from AutoFair in NH. She is quite happy also. enjoy
  • Options
    I did go to a Bridgestone dealer, and they said that the problem was not their tires, but something mechanical. The Honda dealer said that it was not anything mechanical but the Bridgestone tires. Around and around we go. Passing the buck. I will never get anything done unless I am willing to pay for it out of my pocket. So much for warranty claims....:( I think that I will try the Falken tires and just eat the cost. I will let you know the outcome. Also, did that price on your sisters car include TTL? If so she did get a good deal.
  • Options
    Its sounds like its time to contact the Honda regional representitive on the matter. Try that route in a nice but firm matter. The car is new and Honda sold you the tires, the dealer and tire place need a moderator. Its really unfortunate when a dealer does not just go the extra mile and loses an entire future customer for their manufacturer's product. good luck
  • Options
    Here is a suggestion that you might want to try before you put new tires on the vehicle. Put the vehicle on a lift, and examine the four tires and the suspension. Look for imperfections on the surface, and on the side walls. Set the tire pressure to the Honda Manual specifications. Take the vehicle out for a drive on a know good flat road. Pay attention to how the vehicle drives when the tires are cold, and when the tires are hot. When my wife and I drove one of the 2004 Honda Civics from the dealer's lot, it felt like a boat going over a small "chop" on the water. When we drove another vehicle on the same road, there wasn't a problem. The question is: ----Was it a problem with the tires, the air pressure or the suspension on the vehicle? You might have tires that are not round! You might have tires that have some construction problems. Have someone follow you as you test drive the vehicle to make sure that the car is tracking properly. Let us know how things work out with this issue.----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Gregoryc1, who is "your" Honda dealer that you like so much? I have a '99 Civic and live in central Jersey but I can travel IF the dealer is outstanding...I am really curious regarding your dealer. Thanks, Rich.
  • Options
    Rich, ----My Honda Dealer is Mahwah Honda, 99 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, N.J. 07430. The Service phone is:--201-529-3966. My Service Writer is "Paula". Use my name: (Greg Cordano) if you call her! The Sales Dept phone is: 201-529-5700. My Sales Person is Steve Chin. ----I hope this information helps you. We purchase and / or lease all of our vehicles from this dealer. They have a great sales & service department. "Good people"! -----Greg
  • Options
    Thank you Greg for the info...Rich
  • Options
    Just curious Greg, why do you think using premium gas in a honda is beneficial? ALL name-brand gasolines have the required additives for passing Jersey's emissions testing.
  • Options
    The performance is "GREAT"! I also use 4 ounces of Marvel Oil to each 10 gallons of fuel, as an upper cylinder lubricant for the valves, rings and fuel injectors. ----Give it a try, ---you might like my formula! ------Just my opinion. Have a great day. ----Greg
  • Options
    check out this article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_- - id=3604&page_number=1

Also
    http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

It simply states you can't extract more power from a car requiring regular by using premium. It too bad the article is missing info as I remember the results of the V6 Accord showed slightly slower acceleration using premium over regular fuel. Premium is more of a placebo effect on the driver unless the car specfically requires it.
  • Options
    newsboys121newsboys121 Member Posts: 2
    Hello to everyone. I have a 2001 honda civic that sometimes gives out a whistling noise. I thought it came from the a/c fan motor but the serviceman said that, he did not hear the noise, so therefore, did not check it. I also have a problem with the driver side seat belt it sometimes doesn't want to click, I hope I explain myself right. Also, on the last oil change the serviceman told my wife to bring the car in at 30,000 miles for a complete service costing about $350, has anyone had this done and for this much. Well, I guess I used up my three questions so I hope to hear from somebody. Thank you, everybody for any help on this.
  • Options
    Thank you for the information. QUESTION: Have you personally tried my formula, premium fuel together with an upper cylinder lubricant,(MM oil), as stated in posting #2262? Give it a try. You might see a difference in the performance of your vehicle. Using an upper cylinder lubricant is like trying a new flavor of ice cream. You do not know if you like it, until you try it!!!-----There are a lot of "shade tree / racing mechanics" that use an upper cylinder lubricant in their vehicles. What do they know, that the automotive engineers do not know? Just my opinion. ----Greg.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    Bridgestone and Firestone is the SAME company. And it is related to Ford through marriage.
    Car and driver tried to simulate the roll over "problem." They determined the problem was the driver. Even though Ford indicated lower pressure for the tires on the door jamb than Bridgestone/Firestone specified, an attentive driver would have been able to avoid roll over. Driving an SUV with your knees while talking on the cell phone and drinking coffee will make any vehicle flip in case of tire blow out. Chances are, that people who did have roll over never checked the air in their tires.

Yokohamas are good tires for the price (check out www.tirerack.com) I had Avid T4 on my CR-V, and while it was excellent for wet and dry, it was terrible in snow. The Avids were labeled as High performance all season tires. Once the Mischelins on the Si wear out, I will most definately get Yokohamas again, but only as spring/summer/fall tire and get a separate winter set.
    By the way, buying tires on line is not as bad as people think it is. I had mine shipped to work, took them to Costco to have tires mounted for $10/tire with lifetime rotation and balancing. For $240 ($42/tireX4+$30 for shipping+$40 for installation) I had the tires shipped and mounted. A local shop that carries Yokohamas, wanted almost $90/tire plus $10 for installation for a total of $400. Most stores don't carry Yokohama tires for some reason.
  • Options
    You do have a good point, I never have tried the combination so I don't know. If you look at the link of Car and Driver the difference is so negligible on not using premium in a car requiring it I don't anyone would perceive it.

I just follow the manual written by engineers who state additives add to the cost of running the vehicle as does premium fuel. Personally if I wanted more performance then the car offers I would not have bought a Honda Civic. I would have bought an Integra or anything else with more power using regular fuel and no additives. When I need more performance I just rev the engine higher as the EX model is okay.

Anyway I agree I have never tried it. You should state that its potentially a costly upgrade for minimal performance upgrade if any more of a perception thing. Sorry I'm an engineer/scientist.
  • Options
    ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    I'm just curious, do you use that formula every time you fill up your vehicles? I'm not trying to badmouth your formula or anything and I do agree that is a good idea sometimes to maintain a clean system, but I just can't justify the cost of premium fuel plus the cost of the lubricant everytime I fill up my vehicle for just maybe that 1 or 2% increase in performance especially with someone that averages 22,000-25,000 miles a year on a car. My dad racked up 250,000 miles on his 89 accord lxi before it was totaled just using regular fuel and no additives. Sounds like a good idea to maintain the BEST performance out of the engine but just too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a 19 year old college student just trying to pay the lien off on his car!
    Nick
  • Options
    Hi Nick, -----I use this fuel mix at every fill up. The reason why I use this additive is because the fuel today does not have any lubricant in the formula. This is not good for the valve stems, and the piston rings. At 4 ounces to each 10 gallons of fuel, you will not even see Marvel Oil in the fuel. (Picture pouring 4 ounces of orange juice into 10 gallons of water). -----Valve stems, piston rings and fuel injectors need lubrication. All I can say is try this formula for a couple of tank fulls of fuel. If you do not like it "stop"! I also use Marvel Oil in the fuel of our 7.4 MerCruiser marine engine, and our 4 cycle 9hp snow thrower. If it runs on gasoline, I put Marvel Oil in the fuel. Next time you are in an Auto Supply Store or K-Mart, read the label on the Marvel Mystery Oil container. I do not use this product in the oil. I only use this product in the fuel. Putting Marvel oil in the fuel, is like taking vitamins. You either believe in the concept, or you don't believe in the concept! I believe in using an upper cylinder lubricant, so I share this information with other people. A friend of mine started to use Marvel Oil in the fuel of a Yamaha oil injected 2 cycle outboard motor. After a couple of tanks of fuel (100 gallons), he took his wife out for a ride on the boat. She did not know that he had stared to use Marvel Oil in the fuel. After riding in the boat for a short period of time, she asked, "what he had done to the motor because it seemed very quiet"! ----Just my opinion. -----Greg
  • Options
    tientrantientran Member Posts: 7
    Hi, newsboys121!
    Did you use a different gasoline brand lately? Here is my story:
    My 2002 Civic EX is 45000 miles.I always use 76 gas . Another day, I filled my Civic with Shell. After a day, I heard whistling noise louder and louder every day. I suspected either the gas or the brake that caused the noise. So, I ordered on Internet the brake set. The next gas tank I filled it with 76. The noise is less and less. After the third gas tank with 76, the noise was gone. I still keep the brake for future use. I concluded that we should use only one gas brand for our car.
  • Options
    newsboys121newsboys121 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Tientran!

Thanks for the advice I would of never thought the whistling noise could come from using different gas brands. I will start using only one brand and tell you what happens. Thanks again.
  • Options
    chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    I can't comment on the mixing of oil in the fuel as an upper cylinder lubricant - never tried it. However, using gasoline with an octane rating higher than what your engine is designed for is a waste of money. Higher octane fuels are for engines with higher compression ratios - prevents premature ignition - which causes knocking/pinging. Unless you have engine ping a higher octane premium fuel won't do you any good - won't give you any extra power. It may make your engine run smoother - but if you have a relatively new Honda engine and it knocks/pings when using 86 octane fuel something is wrong. Using the higher octane premium fuel may cause the engine to run smoother but it is only masking an underlying problem.
  • Options
    My concern is not the knocks and / or pings that I can hear, but rather the ones that I cannot hear. With a loaded vehicle under hard acceleration, or climbing a long hill, the engine is under "stress", and as such, it needs all the octane that it can get. This is why I use an uuper cylinder lubricant, and premium fuel in my Hondas. The "Book of Honda" states 86 octane or higher, so as such, premium fuel is an option for the driver. I also believe in 3,000 mile oil and filter changes, using a Honda Oil filter designed for the vehicle.-------- What is great about living in a "free society" is that we can agree to disagree. Have a great day. -----Just my opinion. ------Greg
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Can we go a month without the constant Marvel Mystery commercials?

It's a PLACEBO!!
  • Options
    Its cheaper probably then going through therapy for something so it may be worth it for gregory1. He obviously worries considerably especially for a car that is under warranty and beyond well maintained to boot. Once the car out of warranty he gets rid of the thing anyway. Its fine he states what he does, now at least he discloses that Honda does not require any of it, so someone else does not fall into spending more money than they have to. At least Marvel Mystery Oil has a cool looking can, I did notice it on the shelf of Walmart the other day.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your opinion. If I have caused you any discomfort while reading this board, I am truly sorry. Since you feel very strongly about not using this product, please do not use it, or even consider using it in the future. I do not sell or work for the Marvel oil company. I just think they have a very good product for the modern vehicle. This information is only being posted as a "public service" for those vehicle owners who might consider the possibility of using such a product in their fuel. Some people take vitamins with their meals, while other people do not believe in them at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a given subject, based on their research. Thank you again for your posting. -----Just my opinion. --------Greg
  • Options
    I agree with you can post whatever. Its good you say its like vitamins meaning not necessary but can potentially help. enjoy
  • Options
    Thank you for your sensitivity. I look forward to reading your postings. I find them very informative. Have a nice day. -----Greg
This discussion has been closed.