Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited October 2012
    Why would someone make that up?

To try and convince themselves that CR is biased and that GM really didn't make crappy cars for years.

If you lie to yourself enough, and then you lie to others enough, eventually you'll believe it yourself, and forget that you made it up in the first place.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Is that similar to the GMC service manager story?

Sorry couldn't resist... ;)
  • Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,114
    What you're failing to realize is, you are looking at one snapshot. There would be six years' worth of magazine reporting by 2000, and you are looking at one.

I have no idea about it, myself, just know that I didn't care for Prizms or Corollas.

'90's Corollas were worse than average? Who'da thunk it? That was Toyota's "Golden Age" according to many here.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    '90's Corollas were worse than average? Who'da thunk it? That was Toyota's "Golden Age" according to many here.

Back when Corollas were in high demand, I even remember CR recommending that readers consider buying Prisms instead as they were essentially the same car and could be obtained at lower prices.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited October 2012
    Why would someone make that up?

To argue a bias that doesn't really exist.

Name a source (month, year), shouldn't be hard if it's true.
  • Options
    best source would be Automotive News

If you register you can read up to 2 articles for free per day on-line. That's what I do.
  • Options
    2000 is the oldest Buying Guide I had, I picked it because the last year for the Prizm was 1998. That guide happens to show reliability for 91-98 models.

Unlike many here I have no agenda.

Just playing fact checker since so many (on both sides, for sure) spit out bogus information.

Do they rank the Prizm and Corolla differently as the claim said? No. Corolla also rated poorly from 91-93. Problem spots included exhaust, brakes, and ignition. The Geo had those same issues, too, as one would expect.

Oddly enough I liked the Geo better. Styling was better, and it cost a little less, so it offered better value.

These were economy cars back then and there's no escaping cars built to a cost. I doubt those exhausts were high grade SS, and rust doesn't discriminate between domestic vs. import name plates. :lemon:
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Actually the Prizm went through 2002, but I think they rebadged it as a Chevy, rather than a Geo, starting in 1998.

As for bias in reviews, check this out, from Consumer Guide:
    1998-02 Prizm Review
    1998-02 Corolla Review

Clearly biased, as the Corolla scored higher than the Prizm! :P

Actually they were very close, but the Prizm scored one point higher in fuel economy, while the Corolla scored one point higher in steering/braking/handling. Something as simple as different quality tires could make that difference. The Corolla still scored one point higher overall because it got a 5 for value, while the Prizm got a 4. And, I can agree with that. I'm sure a Corolla will easily have more resale value, simply because of the nameplate.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    I didn't see the original source data. However, a quick google reveals a bit of chatter about the same issue. Why would anyone lie? Just to discredit CR? It could have simply been two circles that didn't match for both cars, but it still reveals a problem with either the methodology or the sample.

Maybe I just have an Asian phobia! Of course, this is discussing a California-built car, but we can't let facts get in the way of a good obsessive whine.
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Consumer's Union is a bigtime consumer advocacy organization and corporate watchdog. If you have been burned by them or think you might be then step #1 is to utterly discredit them. So yeah, there's people out there that very seriously want CR discredited.
  • Options
    Consumer Guide != Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is owned by Consumers Union, and they do produce a Buying Guide, and of course CR and other magazines.

Consumer Guide is a totally different company, owned by Publications International Ltd. They are actually competitors.

I really miss the print edition of Consumer Guide. I used to buy one every model year, since 1991. The last one I have is 2008 and then they stopped printing it. I was soooo bummed!

What I liked it how they laid out the information for each model. They would say things like "GT Model adds:" and then list all the additional equipment, plus retail and invoice prices, all in one spot.

CR does not list invoice prices; they have a service you pay for to get that information.
  • Options
    reveals a problem with either the methodology or the sample

Not if they used a different electrical system.

Different warranty, dealers to service them, etc.

Overall results were similar, remember.
  • Options
    If you have been burned by them or think you might be then step #1 is to utterly discredit them. So yeah, there's people out there that very seriously want CR discredited.

I think the biggest problem is that people simply misunderstand the way CR calculates their reliability data. Cars have gotten so good for the most part these days that there's really a fine line between "much better than average", "better than average", "average", and "worse than average".

In fact, I think in recent years, they started calling "worse than average" "fair" instead.

All too often, someone will buy a car, and it turns out to be a great car, and then when they see CR gave it a so-so or bad rating, they get mad. What they don't realize is that while THEIR particular car may have been great, there might have been enough bad examples of the other several hundred thousand or so to skew the averages a bit south.

And sometimes CR will give a car a bad rating simply because everybody else did better. In their reliability tables, the colored circles for each category such as engine, cooling, paint, interior, rust, etc correlate to what percent of respondents who had problems. But the overall reliability rating at the bottom has nothing to do with percentages. It shows how the car stacked up compared to everything else that year.

If your car happened to be very good, but every other car was absolutely flawless, then your car is still going to get a black mark.
  • Options
    Wasn't the Prism/Corolla redesigned in '94 or '95, and I believe that's the version my friend had, and they were virtually identical except for the badge on the grill.

Perhaps earlier models were not built as bulletproof and as similarly.

I can vouch from firsthand experience that the two cars were basically identical twins.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Well, as someone pointed out, Consumer Guide has nothing to do with Consumer Reports. If it isn't Consumer Reports, it might as well be Consumer's Digest or some other bought and paid for advertisement like JD Power in my book.

That being said, differences in braking could come from Chevy forgetting to put brake pads on some new vehicles, as has been known to happen :P.
  • Options
    Why would anyone lie?

You must have never run into a scam artist or fraudulent person in your lifetime; your lucky.

Some humans just simply like to lie. Sort of like all the executives at GM that said GM would never go bankrupt right up until the very end when Obama had to kick a lot of them to the curb to make any changes happen.

Here's an idea, call for 5 auto insurance quotes from "online brokerages" that check with multiple so-called companies. Chances are you'll run into at least one fraudulent scam artist by doing that; insurance agents are worse than car salesman!
  • Options
    Well, as someone pointed out, Consumer Guide has nothing to do with Consumer Reports.

I never said it did. And I mean that "bias" post mainly in jest, as the cars scored virtually identically. 42 versus 43.

Is consumer Digest still around? I remember reading their test of the 1975 domestic compacts and of the Dodge Dart they said it felt more like a well-preserved 1965 car than a brand new model, but as bad as cars were getting, that was actually a good thing!
  • Options
    Or different customer demographics, which might be part of the overall problem too.
  • Options
    But most like to gain something.

Wasn't CR in on the Audi unintended acceleration mess, too?

I won't deny insurance groups can be shady, the business is a bit of a racket.
  • Options
    But most like to gain something.

Perhaps they had a large share and position in GM, F, and C stocks?

Perhaps they were on the payroll of one of those manufacturers getting bonuses for spreading rumors about CR biases that don't really exist.

CR has always erred on the side of safety and caution when it comes to safety issues. I wasn't old enough during the Audi fiasco to remember what CR did about it, but if I recall correctly, it was a "fixed/staged" 60 Minutes story that started the hoopla! Probably 60 Minutes' darkest moment.
  • Options
    I think that's when it became a Chevrolet, right?

Geo was interesting but GM was right to abandon it. The idea is to draw in young buyers, but someone who bought a Storm wasn't exactly thinking Lumina when it was time to trade.

Nummi was successful but now GM relies on what used to be Daewoo to design and often build their small cars (Spark, Sonic, Encore).
  • Options
    I mean that "bias" post mainly in jest

I was careful not to shoot the messenger and my response was not an attack in any way, just wanted to clarify so everyone understood. :shades:

HowStuffWorks is a good site and they seem to have merged with Consumer Guide, but I still miss the print edition.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Regarding the 60Minutes "staged" Audi "investigation"...

I was amazed at the number of comments I read on various forums citing that ordeal as a precedent for the UA issues Toyota went through recently, using it to support their claims that UA had been covered up before by other manufacturers, and that was exactly what Toyota was doing at that moment.

I find it discouraging that, at the same time we have more information readily available at our fingertips than ever before in recorded history, so many are unwilling to spend an extra few seconds to investigate their position before finding out if they even have a basis for that position.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Wasn't CR in on the Audi unintended acceleration mess, too?

Let's be careful, that's how rumors get started. It wasn't even CR (edit: 60 Minutes, thank you)

CR took 8 Toyotas off their Recommended list, too. So where's the bias?

When the Lexus GS drifted, CR put a huge "Do Not Buy" stamp on it.

Then they test a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which "hopped and skidded sideways", their words, and they call Jeep before writing the final article on that model. Chrysler was given access to their test track, re-tuned the stability control (same fix as Toyota).

Chrysler was emerging from bankruptcy but for certain they got preferential treatment over Toyota.

CR was not the only one to complain about Jeep's handling, the Grand Cherokee also failed the famous moose avoidance test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

Note that the Lexus GX skidded, but didn't lift wheels, so the Jeep's result is far worse. Teknikensvarld was bold enough to conclude:

Don't buy Jeep Grand Cherokee, for you and your family's safety

So, clearly, CR bias was against Toyota.
  • Options
    And since I insist on sources being mentioned, here's CR's video on the GX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pswOGMx8Tzo

Funny thing is that's a pretty cool drift. Tires never leave the ground.

It also did not blow out 6 tires like the Jeep did. (actually 7, but Teknikensvarld "only" got 6 on film)

Even the most biased Jeep lover in the world has to admit the Jeep's result is far, far more dangerous.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was amazed at the number of comments I read on various forums citing that ordeal as a precedent for the UA issues Toyota went through recently

Where's there's smoke?

"The phenomenon of sudden acceleration has drawn the attention of scientists around the world. Immediately following the Audi 5000 investigation in the US, several studies by various government agencies have tried but failed to resolve the cause of sudden acceleration. The only study to pinpoint a specific defect within the vehicle, "Risk Assessment of Cruise Control," by Mats Gunnerhed, was conducted by the Swedish Defense Research Establishment of the Department of Information Technology. Issued in May of 1988, it concluded that within certain types of cruise control systems "there is a single-point-fault mode that leads to sudden acceleration at high power."

If you don't like the Center for Auto Safety summary, you could probably find some source links.
  • Options
    Yes, I know it was 60 Minutes, but I swear CR was linked too. That's why I asked rather than stated. See, in the English language, a "?" denotes uncertainty...might not be the same in the land of Brazlilionaires? :P

You mean Lexus GX, right? I don't know if a GS has ever drifted, unless the hooligan son of the bland middle aged CPA primary driver snuck it out at night, once upon a time.

Did CR ever opine about the Toyota acceleration issues?
  • Options
    Did anyone else produce findings similar to the Swedes?

I don't know why "Driver error" is such a taboo.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    What I was referring to was the specific 60 Minutes article, which was found to be, if anything, invalid.

"Regarding the 60Minutes "staged" Audi "investigation"...

Makes no difference whether or not something exists, if one has to change and control the conditions of the test to get the desired results, it isn't science, or even junk science.

It's dishonesty.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    GX, yeah, the truck.

CR seems to be grouped in whenever people complain about the automotive media, so I have to wonder.

Edit: CR removed 8 Toyotas from their recommended list while NHTSA investigated. They mostly stayed on the side lines but they did make recommendations on what to do if a throttle gets stuck in general.

Brazilionnaire - I wish. I do own some land, a little less after we donated property for a preschool to be built for low income kids.

The school has my grandmother's name. :shades:
  • Options
    To be honest I wasn't subscribing to CR during that Audi controversy, but the major issues they've identified that I can recall were with:

* Suzuki Samurai
    * Isuzu Tropper and Acura SLX
    * Lexus GX
    * Fisker Karma (it died on them)

And Jeep got the free pass. So much for hating domestics. Fisker is Danish, IIRC, though his company is technically US based.

Audi ain't domestic anyway.
  • Options
    Consumer's Union is a bigtime consumer advocacy organization and corporate watchdog. If you have been burned by them or think you might be then step #1 is to utterly discredit them. So yeah, there's people out there that very seriously want CR discredited.

Or if somebody was a Blind Follower of a brand, and a publication was actually honest about a brand that was consistently poor in reliability and other factors, then said Blind Follower would likely try to discredit such publication, as it would conflict with the Blind Follower's desire to deny any negative facts associated with the worshipped brand. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know why "Driver error" is such a taboo.

I don't know why people think that there can never be design build problems.

Today's example from the Detroit Free Press:

Feds probe Taurus, Sable for stuck throttles.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >Feds probe Taurus, Sable for stuck throttles.

Wild goose chase. It's just driver error like the toyotas. :P

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Or if somebody was a Blind Follower of a brand, and a publication was actually honest about a brand that was consistently poor in reliability and other factors, then said Blind Follower would likely try to discredit such publication, as it would conflict with the Blind Follower's desire to deny any negative facts associated with the worshipped brand. Just sayin'.

That's what I was saying, just more politely. :shades:
  • Options
    That's what I was saying, just more politely.

And of course millions of customers must be wrong, and the die-hard Blind Followers must be correct! The worshipped brand IS outstanding!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I guess I trust the average machine more than the average person. Especially when so-called "problems" can't be duplicated when anyone is looking.
  • Options
    Of course it was. The leaky engines and fires on the Vega were FEATURES damnit! The rust was simply a chemical reaction cause by misuse of the car, no one said it was supposed to be used OUTSIDE, in ACTUAL WEATHER!!! What's wrong with these people???

Now, if you'll excuse my, my tongue was so far in my cheek there I think I need a visit to the emergency room. :shades:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Fires in a Vega? First time in 40 years I've ever heard that one. Same with leaks, for that matter.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    I don't know why people think that there can never be design build problems.

I'm OK with design build issues potentially causing a stuck accelerator which potentially causes unintended sudden acceleration. However, when people are asked "Why didn't you just put it in neutral?," they inevitably answer with some bogus made up story along the lines of "I did, and God wouldn't let the car stop with the brakes or go into neutral."

I just wish more Americans would just fess up, take responsibility, and admit they "didn't think of that," and are therefore fully liable for the foul up for lack of due diligence which could have averted 100% of the issue by shifting into neutral or turning off the ignition.
  • Options
    Yeah, i strongly suggest this thing called the Internet, lots of information that took me about 5 seconds to find. Maybe 10 seconds if you're not on FIOS.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Note to bpizzuti: Not everything you read is accurate.

The Vega was guilty of many things, and I read everything possible on them then and through the years, and fires and leaks weren't two of them.

Someone is confusing the Pinto and Vega. Were you there when they were still everywhere on the streets? I was.

The engines would burn oil and overheat, not uncommonly.

It's best to post an opinion as an opinion, and to check more than one source before posting something as hard fact.
  • Options
    I normally don't cite Wikipedia unless it's a well-cited article. This happens to be one of those. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega#Problems

You may now reconsider your statements about your opinions and my facts.
  • Options
    >I just wish more Americans would just fess up, take responsibility,

Would that apply to traffic tickets and receipts as well? ;)

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Why don't you put out a post somewhere and ask how many folks who had Vegas, had them catch on fire?

The Cruze was recalled for a fire hazard, for example. Few fires occurred, but the recall was to make sure it didn't become a big problem. When they are built for seven model years (as the Vega was), in thirty-five years will you think it's logical to say "Cruzes are known for catching on fire?".

Common-sense, man.
  • Options
    Bluster all you like, the Vega had documented issues, same as many other GMs. If you're insulted by this, take it up with GM, don't blame the messenger.

The other problem is that an unwillingness to recognize problems exist leads to an unwillingness to fix the problems that one refuses to recognize. Which is what got GM (and others) into such a big hole. Again, if you don't like it, sorry but that's life.
  • Options
    I'm with you on this one.

Having had a Vega clone (Astre), I feel pretty "up" on the issues with that model.

Engines burned through oil, overheated and failed, and the bodies instantly turned to rust, especially on the earlier models, but fire hazard?

Don't recall that. The "exploding into flames" cup was won by the Ford Pinto, in minor rear-end collisions, due to Ford's decision to save something like $12-14 a car by relocating the fuel tank after the initial design was accepted.
  • Options
    >CR doesn't even use that format.

What do you mean they don't even use that format. They would give short reviews from their tests comparing similar cars, but would find something about the cars of brands they don't like to be deficient. The same quality in the brand they do like would be mitigated in how it was presented in the test summary of the car. One example comes to mind of a coupe with large C pillar and it had poor visibility out the rear. Then the Accord coupe in the same article had the same large C pillar and there was no problem with visibility. DUH.

I just checked today at the library for the latest issue of consumer reports and they had a multi-car evaluation with short summaries of Ford Escape, Acura ILX, Buick Verano, Panamera, Karma, and Infinity JX.

They're still doing the same kind of multiple car comparisons/evaluations.

• Options
    By '76, I could've enjoyed a new Vega wagon, and the engine was warrantied 5 yrs./60K miles, which was unheard of then. The rustproofing was much improved, as documented pretty specifically in the sales brochure for that model year.

I always liked the styling, choice of bodystyles, and interior when you opted for the Custom Interior and GT package.

The Chevette that year started at the identical price for the hatchback as the Vega hatchback ($2,895), and I'd have much rather had that year's Vega.
  • Options
    http://autos.aol.com/gallery/editors-choice-best-and-worst-crossovers-for-your-m- oney/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D226583

I still don't care for the looks--I like the GMC better. But CR said it wasn't as reliable as an Equinox (LMAO).

Same powertrain, built at same plant by same people, same platform, some different sheetmetal.

As has been said here a zillion times, that most likely had to be sample error, which of course will happen, but CR never mentions that as a possibility.