Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord VCM

Comments

• Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I disagree -- and I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I sold my oldest Accord I4. Therefore, I drove my brand-new V6 EX-L Accord (only 39 miles on odometer) to work today. @ 1400 - 1500 RPM or 35 MPH in cities I was able to achieve ECO. On highways, ECO light is lit at all time. Looks like this top PZEP Accord "crazily loves to save gas and emit only 0.09% or nearly zero CO2".

No surge, no vibration with VCM, pretty much quiet and enjoyable. The CD & Navi are awesome. I enjoyed my favorite songs sung by my fans, lovely young female singers. It was my truly relaxed day. Tomorrow Friday should be better. How's your car, Mcpdjohn?
  • Options
    mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    My car is still perfect at approx 2,900 miles. I'm still waiting to be bothered by the VCM but it hasn't happened yet. I still don't know at what mileage all these VCM issues are supposed to start?
  • Options
    My son came back home last Christmas. I drove his Accord hybrid '05 and @ 36,600 miles its VCM did not surge or vibrate at all. That car is also my favorite car with lot of power.

I feel I spent all my "fortune" to buy V6 Accords. The old Accord I just got rid of was my last "4 banger". Now, I have 4 V6 Accord. All I can say is I love all my Accord V6 for their tight handling and its power. IMHO, Accords are great pieces of very good engineering and also fine art. I dont know why Golf's Accord gets problem with its VCM.
    In order to truly appreciate Accord's power and performance one has to drive long trips.
  • Options
    golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    its interesting we (dealer and me) felt the surging and hyperactivity with the vcm on several V6's. Mine is still hyper. I have really noticed the VCM more at just about 51MPH lately.. it seems at that speed it is bouncing between 4 and 3 cyls noticeably. still feel it in the 65-70MPH range as well. Again, in cruise control its smooth sailing ,so I wonder if my throttle/accelerator is just super sensitive etc. I have said before the car can seem to manage the VCM operation better than I can manually even when concentrating on ZERO pedal movement on a wide open flat highway.... still getting vibration at higher speeds like Rodiron and some of the other posters.

All I can say is if you either dont notice the VCM operation, or your V6 isn't demonstrating these habits, you are good to go.

Golf-
  • Options
    whampa65whampa65 Member Posts: 36
    I bought my new 08 Accord V6 EX-L on Friday and have put 300 miles on it. I think the engine is awesome and I don't feel anything unusually with it. If the "eco" light didn't come on I wouldn't know anything was going on with the engine. I think this engine is extremely smooth and power is seamless. I traded in a 04 BMW 330XI for this car and I can honestly say I don't regret it in the least. I've owned 20 different cars in my lifetime and I can honestly say this is by far my favorite of all. I have been extremely impressed by this car. I really think it's the best buy out there, you will truly think your driving a luxury car.
  • Options
    tc99mtc99m Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I am new here and I would like to share my experiences with the 08 Accord EX-L V-6.

I was a proud owner of two 06 Civic Hybrids. Both Hybrids worked great. I decided to trade them for the 08 Accord because of the VSA (08 Civic Hybrid still does not have VSA...). I went all out and traded in for two 08 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (non-Navi). I was going to get one CR-V but I was told by my Honda dealer that I had to wait for 2 months for the 08 EX-L model... I keep getting Honda cars because (in my opinion) they are more affordable. I would like a Volvo S80 or something like that but I could get almost two Accords with that much of money...

Both Accords are made in the USA. My wife and I picked them before the New Year. The first one is a red Accord, made in Nov 2007. It had only 4 miles on it when we picked it up. We have been driving it on different road conditions up to 70 miles, and are still breaking it in gently... Both my wife and I are not aggressive drivers (the Hybrids certainly have trained us well). It has about 200 miles now and everything is smooth. My ears are quite sensitive to sound so the following observations are to the best of my knowledge: The VCM is bearly/not noticeable when it switches among different cyclinders (e.g. like the "ticking" sound of an old clock at night-if you don't pay attention to it, you will not even hear it). The gear switching is also very good (I still need to get use to it because the Civic Hybrids were CVT...).

The second one is a silver Accord, made in Sept 2007. It had 204 miles on it when we picked it up (not sure if it contributes to the problem or not). The dealer told me that someone had to drive the car over (I did not believe it though)... We have been driving it on different road conditions up to 75 miles, and we broke it in gently also... It has about 900 miles now and everything is NOT that smooth.

1. The VCM is MORE noticeable when switching down from 6 cyclinders. I could feel some surging/jerking when that happens.

2. The gear switching NOT so good. When I backup "R" from my garage and then go "D", the car seems to want to take off at once (e.g. like if someone grap you quick by the hand). The gear swiching from 1st, 2nd and 3rd are also like that.

3.Another thing that I have problem with is that when the car is going about 20 to 30 mph, the RPM arm (I believe it was about 1000 to 1500 RPM) seems to go up and down and up and down, as if the car has not made up it mind (I know it has no mind) on what RMP it wants. It is problematic when I am it driving in a parking lot (e.g. at Wally World) or in town. It goes the speed but I could hear that the surging sound (the light "reving" sound). I does not matter if I set the car on cruise or not. It works fine when I am going more than 30 mph.

I took the car in to the Honda dealer yestersday. There was no error message from the diagnotic test, but they could reproduce my problem. The RMP did not stay the same and it varied for about 100 RMP at about 30 mph speed. Since this car is new and there is NO service bulletin or recall, the service manager told to continue to drive it for now. He told me that he would report this to Honda and tryo to get an answer... I am going back to the dealer next Tue and I will talk to the salesman who sold us the two Accords...

So here is my story. Same model but different built dates - one fine, one not so fine... Could the earlier bulilt be the problem?

Tc
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "Could the earlier bulilt be the problem?"

I sure hope not! Yours is September built. My V6 EXL was built in Marysville in August of 2007 so is a month older than yours. I have had no such problems. Have about 800 miles on it so far.
    Today, however, I thought maybe it was idling too fast at the stop light. What are your idling RPMs for both cars at red light with warmed up engines?
  • Options
    If engine idling is issue it would be adjusted by Honda dealer very easily. I have started enjoying my V6 EX-L engine revs up powerfully to show its muscles when I accelerate my car to merge or change lanes, etc.

Sometimes, minor issues need to be adjusted at the dealer. When I first bought my Accord hybrid '05 there was some tiny oil leak on my driveway, I took it to the dealer 2 times. Finally, the dealer spent some $10K to change several components in the engine to rectify the issue. It's not always quite simple to diagnose the issue(s) very correctly on a advanced engineered car like the Accord V6 EX-L. I am confident in Honda's engineers, designers & Management who put out best cars compatible to the purchase price I paid for.

We cannot expect the "perfect Siamese twin" of every brand-new V6 EX-L. Some human or assembly errors may happen in the process of chain-manufacturing these V6 EX-L. That's why Honda offers bumper to bumper 3 years/ 36K miles and 6 years/ 60,000 miles warranty on powertrain. Please use it.

MSN's automobile critic & assessor Dan Jedlicka assesses "Accord V6 EX-L is one of the best sedans on earth...". I have trusted professionally competent Dan who have tested thousands of cars & trucks in his career.
  • Options
    phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    Sounds to me that you might have a problem with the transmission and NOT the engin - the variation of RPM's is due to the transmission "hunting" between gears. We had this problem with a brand new 1983 Honda - drove several cars in test drive and it locked up in Overdrive perfectly. We drove our car out the door and IMMEDIATELY the transmission hunted - the RPMs going up and down as it shifted in and out of overdrive and the next lower gear. You may be having the same problem - and thus the feel of the car "surging" and the RPMs going up and down. Keeping your car in D3 or 2 and driving the same speed(30) and seeing if it happens may point to the problem. I was not involved in the repair - I know they had a Technical Service Bulletin on the problem, we took the car in and it was fixed immediately and on the first try. We then drove it 35,000 miles without any problem, sold it to my secretary, and she and her husband drove it 160,000 miles without its missing a beat. Your problem sounds VERY similar.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't believe anyone is reporting a change in RPM though. Usually a change in gear is pretty obvious since all of these cars have large tachometers and audible engine noise.
  • Options
    Sorry but you are incorrect - the original message to which I was responding reports changes in RPMs (RMPs sic) between 1000-1500 and at about 30 MPH and at no other time. That may very well be a shift point in the tranny rather than a VCM issue. I only suggested they try going 30 with the car in D3 or 2 when you have no shift issues and see if it still performs the same.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The post I clicked to reply to had no previous post it was replying to, so I thought it was a general opinion - hence the confusion.

As I read back, I see you posted the same thing twice, the second time as a reply to someone else. That makes a lot of difference! :)
  • Options
    Here is another endorsement that Honda's VCM technology on Accord V6 has been working great, as a whole.

This excerpt is from Edmunds review on the 09 Pilot with regard to the anticipated use of VCM.
    "....Variable Cylinder Management system that Honda introduced for the new Accord V6. It can run on six or three or even four cylinders, depending on how much power the driver demands. And we expect that it will operate almost imperceptibly, if our experience with the Accord is any indication. ..."
  • Options
    Sorry that I should have started a new thread... My bad.

My idling RMP is about 800 with a warmed up engine on my silver Accord (we have not driven the red one that much yet). When I cold started the engine tonight (0 F, car has been sitting out in the open for over 10 hrs), the engine RMP went way up to > 2000 RPM, then it slowly dropped down to a little bit above 1000 RMP (after ~ 5 min), and it went back down to ~800 RMP (after 10 min, drove and stopped at a stop light a block away). It has been the second time that the RMP was up that high at a cold start. Dealer said it was normal (I guess my car is trying to tell me that is is cold :P).

I am more concern with the transmission "hunting" problem. I drove the car home tonight on a very long flat stretch of road (~2 miles) at about 32 MPH on cruise and the RMP was moving up and down the 1500 RMP mark again (warm engine). It was doing this even with ECO off. Sorry that I kind of pointed the problem to the VCM... :blush: I am glad that Honda has it in the Accord (while I wish we could turn it off like the VSA). I will try driving in D3 or D2 (suggested by [phantomv]) tomorrow and see if the problem remains the same. What does it mean if the I still have problem driving in D3 or 2, or vice versa (e.g. do I need a new tranny)?

Tc
  • Options
    Tc:

I think you only need to drive normally in D. If you feel it has a "transmission hunting" issue bring your car back to the dealer. They will take care of it for you.
  • Options
    putting the trnasmission in D3 or 2 should keep the transmission from trying to shift at those speeds and IF the problem persists - it is not the transmission. If it IS the transmission, as I said with our experience, they had a TSB on it and repaired it - never to happen again and the car had 160,000 miles put on it without further problem. NOW, if it STILL does it, then I would suspect the VCM as you have and it may simply be a new engine control module needed (ECM). Hopefully they won't give you trouble about that - expensive computer unit but you are under warranty. But if the problem continues, then the variation in RPM is coming from the engine and NOT the transmission. Good luck to you - hope it all works out - let me know!
  • Options
    exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Sometimes, minor issues need to be adjusted at the dealer. When I first bought my Accord hybrid '05 there was some tiny oil leak on my driveway, I took it to the dealer 2 times. Finally, the dealer spent some $10K to change several components in the engine to rectify the issue.

Just curious, what would you consider a major issue? ;) Better hope nothing "minor" breaks when you're out of warranty.
  • Options
    Thanks tc. Actually my warm idle RPM is around 700-800, so I don't think that is too high.

Hope you get the problem taken care of. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    yet another perfect example of "you cant always believe what you read" Its just not true...
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this experience. What you are felling is an issue plain and simple and Honda knows ALL about it... I was told the same thing from my service dealer/advisor and he has told me that several other new V6 owners are having the same concerns. Keep us all posted on your progress. Clearly as you surf the net and begin to read more and more forum posts what is evident is that there are almost as many people starting to draw concerned conclusions as not.. so an A-typical end user outcome with a new designed product. All I can say is Honda needs to fix this/adjust this and or provide a better straight NON VCM version.
  • Options
    Bottom line is a deactivation in the firing and or cylinder operation will be a "notoicable" event. Now weather you become accustom to it is a different story. Going from 6 to3 cylinders is not transparent. a surge and our lurch sensation is felt almost like a down shift or overdrive implementation. Some will notice it some will not.. the ones that do will be "driven" crazy by its constant operation.... its a drag to me and really takes away from this awesome car all for la slight increase in Mpg. Big deal! thats a couple of bud lights in the scheme of things, hate to say it but would rather pay more for the gas, enjoy a smooth ride on a long trip and skip the bud lights once I arrive where I am headed..
  • Options
    mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    I'm sorry you're having problems with your VCM. I haven't heard of very many people who are. I have 3,000 miles on my V6 Accord, and the VCM is 100% seamless, as adrvetise by Honda. I love VCM and the V6 motor. The silent majority is just like me, no problem with VCM. I hope they fix your car for you so you can enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. I can assure you that your car is an isolated case, and not indicative of a problem with the design of VCM. If there was a problem with VCM across the board, I would be having problems, and would be screaming as loud or louder than you.
  • Options
    yea I agree.. its a real bummer. Sounds like there a others with the same issue I can only hope its isolated and not a design flaw. Honda has always been terrific.

hoping for a positive outcome with it...
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    What is the dealership telling you? are they still "working on it"? Have you driven other VCM Accords? Do they all do the same thing yours does? If this is an isolated problem, they should be changing parts until the problem goes away. What's the deal here? :(
  • Options
    "Still working on it"............. its a drag for sure. Yes we have felt it in other 08 V6's. Trust me been down that road already when i tried to get them to give me a new car thinking it was isolated to mine and so far it seems to be the design. again some people will clearly notice it and some wont, it all depends on what kind of driver you are and your general awareness of how your car runs. I have had buddies drive mine and some other demos and all agree it is bothersome. Wish I would have bought the Acura TL with a straight V6 even though I love the new accord more in appearance ,overall features and economics.
  • Options
    donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    The following paragraph is a problem that I had previously posted.

[I took ownership of a V6 EXL White Diamond Pearl Accord the Saturday before Christmas. Had a 600 mile round-trip over the holidays and noticed vibration and "thumping sounds" starting at around 60 and up to about 72 mph. Car was taken back to the dealership on Dec. 30 and it is still there today. The ANC module (active noise control) has been replaced which did not solve the problem. Now I understand they will be replacing the "head" on the audio system. They seem to believe that the problem is with the system that is supposed to control the noise that come from the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management)on the V6 Accords]
    ============================================================
    Here it is January 18 and the problem still hasn't been solved. They admitted that the sound is so loud inside the car that they wouldn't want to drive it under those conditions. Service is still focusing on the ANC system.
    By disconnecting a wire they can fool the ANC system that the doors on the car are still open although they are closed. The noise disappears when the ANC system is disconnected.

A case number has been opened with Honda. They are waiting for a Honda field rep to come on site. In the meantime they have provided me with a new
    Accord to use. On Thursday the manager called and said they would exchange my car for a new one if I wanted. The only problem is that I waited since September 27 to get this one and another long wait could be expected. We agreed to wait until the field rep looks at the car. If it is just something simple that everyone is overlooking they would be willing to give me an extended warranty as I am now very leery of the VCM & ANC systems on the car.
  • Options
    If all the VCM cars you've driven are the same as yours, I don't know what to say. Either you are way to perceptive/picky, or other owners are letting this very annoying thing slide (which is hard to believe).
  • Options
    Golf:

I have not driven my "08 Accord V6 EX-L very much so I cannot say anything about its 3, 4, 6 VCM. However, my '05 Accord V6 hybrid also employs 3,6 VCM that works seamlessly at 37,000+ miles. My youngest college son has driven it across California many times. No problems so far. It's seamless. When a student messed up with its rear bumper I had to drive another V6 to his campus in Southern Cali. to exchange for it and drove it back to Northern Cali. to fix it (for cheaper cost). It ran seamlessly with all power like a big greyhound. It loves to handle very sharp corners, I tell you. Like McpdJohn, I prefer V6 Accord engine over the I4.

Last week, I changed oil for my oldest '02 V6 and asked my mechanic to clean up its reusable air filter for me. This week I tracked down and found out its MPG is 28+ in mixed driving. It's my pure JOY in this long weekend for such an MPG of a V6.

I told my wife I am willing to pay any price to buy an Accord/ Acura. My '95 Accord I4 @ 253K+ miles had never got a single breakdown during 13 years. It ran like a most loyal servant who had never called in sick, even a single hour. I got tired of it and sold it recently but I did have many sweet memories about it. And I highly appreciate its outstanding service.

Honda sells over 450,000 Accord in the US soil every year in addition to Acura, Pilot, Civic, Fit, Element, Ridgeline, S2000, NSX, etc. so it cannot afford to make any mistake, especially technical ones. Its cars are pieces of very sophisticated engineering and also very fine pieces of art. I have never been turned down by buying a Honda, especially the Accord. I love every single button in the Accord. It's logical, highly organized, neat, making sense...

McpdJohn is a very competent engineer himself so his assessment of the '08 Accord VCM is the most objective and professional. Unlike you, I enjoy very much the "stupid" ECO light on the dashboard. I can achieve "ECO" at 35MPH or 1300 RPM even while driving in cities. This top Accord loves to...."PZEP". I truly enjoy the engine revving up to show its muscles.
  • Options
    I drove my silver Accord 08 V6 in D3 on Wed and there was no RMP variation, although the RMP was over 2000 at 30 MPH. Then I tried it on D2 and nothing happened either. The RMP variation (~100) ONLY happens in D when driving at 20 to 30 MPH.

I told the salesman about the problem and he promised me that Honda would get it fix. The service manager called me that same day and asked me to bring the car back for more testing this coming Tue. I told him about the D3-D2 test run I did but he believed that it was NOT a transmission problem. He told me that the tech actually test drove it on the road last time when the RMP variation was reproduced(the tech had a diagnostic equipment hooked up to the car). He told me that the transmission was NOT shifting when the RMP variation happened.

The service manager suspected that the RPM module might be faulty (e.g. like the 89 LeBaron I had when I was back in college with RPM arm always pointing at 0 :blush: ). He told me that it will take about 2 hours to run some tests - maybe a Honda engineer/rep will be there or they will trouble shoot the problem over the phone.

With the weather getting below 0 F today, my car rattles somewhere over the front passenger side near the glove box ( I only have Honda documents, proof of insurance, and the license and register inside)...

Story of my silver Accord - to be continued...

Tc

P.S. My red Accord 08 V6 is working like a charm. No problem so far - keep my finger cross. ;)
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this... I have been having the same issues. No thumping but bad bad vibration. I think its the motor mounts and agree the car is loud. The dealer had my car for almost 3 weeks and now they are saying its normal.. Its not.. I have had others drive it and clearly its not right. I think Honda has creeping issue here and needs to get it addressed right away. Perhaps its possible that this is only affecting some production models but what is legitimate is it IS affecting their cars. I am not convinced a new one will eliminate the issue as I drove several others and felt the same things. I will say that when in 6 cylinder mode I do not tend to feel the VCM and or vibration as much. I think the 3/4 cylinder , but more the 3 is causing the excessive vibration.. all i can say is Cadillac tried this and abandoned it, so did Honda in the Pilot at one point... good luck and keep us all posted as your experience is invaluable to the rest of us dealing with this growing issue.

Mike
  • Options
    To be fair... I think its alittle bit of both. If I didnt like the feeling of power and sport I would not have bought the V6 but I do, so I did that should address the perception angle... However, its important to note, that I have had others drive my car some I explained the issue to get their opinion, and others I simply said "drive it and let me know whatcha think". ;) In all cases the feedback i have been given is everything I am feeling Surging, Lurching and excessive vibration at higher speeds. Something is totally not right.

Like a few other posters dealing with similar issues, my story is to be continued.........................
  • Options
    .. all i can say is Cadillac tried this and abandoned it, so did Honda in the Pilot at one point...

If you are referring to VCM, I don't think that is a true statement. 4 cylinder Pilots have it and the 2009 V6 Pilots will be having it as well.

I am a "Very" picky driver myself and would have noticed it if there were anything to notice. It is not noticeable in my car and as someone mentioned earlier, the majority silent people do not have this problem. Most people are only vocal when there is a problem. Although that does not mean that your problem does not exist, I think it is just more specific to few cars, and unfortunately, yours is one of them. Good luck and keep trying all your options in getting it right.
  • Options
    Since you say you have driven other VCM Accords like yours, and experience the same issue, it presents a major problem. All the dealership has to say is "the issue is present in all VCM models, and other customers don't have a problem with it". "So we consider it normal operation, and therefore their is no fix needed". What is the dealership saying to you at this point? Are they still trying to find a solution? Or have they told you (in their own words) to take a hike?
  • Options
    They are still evaluating the issue.. so no final word at all. They have told me from the mechanics working on it to the Svc Mgr and Honda rep that somethings not right, but they have yet to offer a solution just more testing which is fine i guess (for now). its a major drag.....
  • Options
    its a major drag

Yes, I'm sure it is. :sick: But then I guess it's better than "Take a hike" huh?
  • Options
    WITHOUT QUESTION.

I am not sure what the lemon laws are, and will be investigating, but I am really starting to think I have one.. :lemon:
  • Options
    I absolutely have ZERO problem with VCM on my '05 & '08 Accord. VCM technology has been employed widely on Ody, Pilot, Accord, etc. for YEARS and will be mandated in the car industry by US federal automobile authority very soon to conserve fuel.
  • Options
    FUEL ECONOMY will be mandated by the government via CAFE. How a vehicle attains this mileage (VCM, Hybrid, etc) will be irrelevant.
  • Options
    Anyone remember New Coke? Has Honda done the same to its product reliability reputation with the 2008 Accord V-6 VCM? The people posting here are not crazy nor super sensitive. The shifting in and out of 6-4-3 is noticeable and annoying - even at 70 with cruise control on on the interstate. This after having a 2004 V-6 Coupe, 2004 S2000, and just donated a 1990 Legend with 180K on it that ran FLAWLESSLY at 80 STILL. All for what? 2 MPG???????? This is insane - sacrifice the reputation of your product line for that??????? GM and Cadillac? Heck, GM sacrificed its reputation all the time - can anyone say Cadillac V 8-6-4, Chevy Vega, the 4 cylinder '61 Tempest? (half a v-8) the original Buick V-6 ( 90 degree Buick V-8 with two cylinders lopped off - terrible vibration before they solved that with balance shafts), Pontiac Trans Ams without cylinder head gaskets - that then leaked requiring $300 repair jobs under warranty to put in a $.05 gasket that should have been there in the first place???

BUT HONDA???? :mad: We have owned Hondas since 1981 - 16 Honda/Acura products in all in our family. I swear - if they screw with me with this car I will NEVER buy one again, take out ads in national papers, and start a class action lawsuit - they too can go the way of GM as far as I am concerned if they do not handle this MAJOR ISSUE properly. How? Replace my engine with the non-VCM 6 from a 6 speed manual car.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Come on man,tell us how you really feel? :)
  • Options
    RIGHT ON phantomv... This is indeed insane and very dissapointing. I have been saying this for a few months since "I" started this VCM forum. I will tell you that Honda seems to be changing their tone a bit (not in my favor) related to my concerns so perhaps we need to hook up offline and commiserate about this. This is my 6th Honda Accord and by far it has been a brutal experience to say the least., The car is totally not enjoyable to drive, its loud, rough/vibrates and the VCM is so hyperactive that passengers in my car feel like I am driving a manual.. I will say that based on other posters that dont have an issue, this must be something related to certain production cars.. Never the less the issue is real. As Honda puts more and more of these on the road you will hear more about it. Keep in mind not everyone is aware of this forum so their inability to participate does not count as a vote of confidence... I will also restate my prediction that Honda will change their marketing from "unoticable and seamless" to something much broader as they should, because this statement is not accurate.
  • Options
    btw all Honda needs to do since this is nothing more than a software control is install an override somewhere on the gear shift like an OVERDRIVE button.. then let us choose when to be green and when not too.. choice is what i am for.. If I want to drive in 6 cylinders all the time and get 26MPG then thats my decision sort of like the 6 disc changer, temp control, cruise control, handsfree link, voice activation, horn, lights, brake, type and brand of fuel etc etc etc...ya know...
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    "All for what? 2 MPG????????"

According to CR, the 2008 Accord EX V6 sedan gets LOWER gas mileage than the non-VCM Accord EX V6 sedan tested for the August 2006 issue. The 2008 version was found to give 21 mpg and the older non-VCM version produced 23 mpg. This is progress???

So not only did Honda screw up the performance of the Accord for some of you unlucky folks with the VCM, it has also been shown that the VCM delivers less fuel economy.

Seems that if VCM has been added to produce better mileage and actually achieves the opposite, then in the 2008 EX V6 Accord, VCM must be placed under the category of Honda "mistakes."
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I wanted to add, but got cut off, that the new EX V6 Accord is probably too heavy to do as well as previous generation EX V6 Accords in mpg. However, adding a system specifically designed for fuel economy produces 2 mpg less than previous Accords?

I wonder what the mpg would have been without the VCM? 17? :surprise:
  • Options
    I read through 10 pages of the 08 Accord V6/VCM reviews. There were 40 reviews on the VCM models included on those 10 pages. The only reviews that mentioned the VCM were complementary of the system. There were no mentions of surging or annoying habits associated with cylinder de activation. There were some complaints, but most of them centered around Bluetooth, and trip computers. It seems VCM is not a problem, and considered an asset by the vast majority of those 40 owners.
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The Honda Odyssey has been using the technology for years. Also, though the technology is not really new, but it is a new design, new model, so those who bough the Accord with VCM, knew that in advance that there could be a few bugs. Looks like there are minimal problems. Realize that honda does take problems seriously, I doubt they would steer you wrong if you had a major problem.

Choosing to get a new design, model, comes with all the risks involved. Based on the reviews, there are little problems, the vans with the same feature, are doing just fine.
  • Options
    Based on the reviews here you may be correct but check the net bvdj84... there are MANY documented problems and growing.... sorry but its a reality. No doubt there are bugs to be expected in a new design,, like seat adjustment, DVD, basic stuff.. but not engine issues like this from the guys that are known for engineering this is not normal for Honda in the least
  • Options
    Uh ... did you read? Owned Hondas since 1981 - one typo - not 16, but 14
    1981 Accord 5 speed 35,000 miles
    1983 Accord auto 34,000
    1988 Acura Legend auto 78,000
    1994 Acura Legend Coupe 6 speed 30,000
    1988 Acura Legend LS for son 72,000 (total 170,000)
    1997 Honda Accord V-6 auto 17,000
    1990 Acura Legend L for other son 58,000 (total 180,000)
    2000 Accord V-6 auto 62,000
    2004 Accord V-6 Coupe Auto for wife 3,000 (moved to Manhattan and sold)
    2004 S 2000 - toy for me 8,000 (moved to Manhattan and sold)
    2008 Accord V-6 EXL Sedan
    2007 SE V-6 - bought by son
    2007 Pilot
    2006 Ridgeline

I dare say I am a proven Honda lover and so are other members of my family. I have every right and justification to express my displeasure with the VCM. The 1990 Legend was still more fun and less annoying to drive.
  • Options
    Doesnt really matter what some of the posters say Phantom... you are right about your situation. This forum is about VCM experiences on the new Honda Accord V6. If your's is poor (as is mine and others) you/we have every right to talk to it and share the experience. I too am a Honda loyalist and hence my level of dissapointment in this new engine/transmission. Its simply not right, nor consistent with the Honda i have grown to know and love. They need to make it right in the end.