Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

@sandman_6472 said:
    really liked the heads up display.

Me too!

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971

Interesting goings on yesterday and this morning about new employment for the Sandman. Don't want to jinx it because I haven't got the call yet, but...! Things could be very very good by the end of the day! I knew I had to communicate to get to the bottom of the issue here and luckily, I spoke with the right person, the one who knows the scoop and would have the best advice as how to correct the situation. I did text the last boss at my old company and explained my behavior and he accepted it and said he understood that I had to go where the work was and that he'd have done the same thing. He didn't admit that he basically lied to my face but I was o k with what he did say to me. We wished each other well and moved on. Now if I could have this same kind of closure with the first boss, then I would be happy but he is too stubborn, has too much pride, to admit he did anything wrong here. But I am the one who communicated to get to the bottom of the situation here and am pleased right now.
    Hopefully, things will work out the way I want this afternoon. I will report back later any and all news! Pray for me here that this thing actually comes through!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176

For me, the rental car is part of the trip, something to experience - so I don't mind spending a little more for something I enjoy . If you play your cards right, like you did, it often isn't a huge deal more.

@Stever@Edmunds said:

I didn't blink at spending $55 for lunch for two the next day at La Jolla, so putting things in perspective, it was a fun splurge.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I rented a Toyota Yaris for a quick emergency---the only 4-door they had at the moment at Enteprise. It felt just like my old 2006 Scion xA. Not much progress there. Very numb steering, cheap interior, touchy brakes, but peppy enough and good on gas. About what you'd expect for the price. Enterprise has this weekend rate which is ridiculously cheap.

• Options

Good luck! Time to move on from the old boss and forget about him.

Regarding the Yaris, a relative of mine bought one a couple years ago. Definitely a "retro" car, and maybe not in a cool way. A significant amount of them sell to fleets.

@sandman_6472 said:
    Interesting goings on yesterday and this morning about new employment for the Sandman

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

I've talked to a couple owners who had Echos before. They said the Echo was a better car. Not surprising..at least with Toyota anyway..cuz it has been during this past decade their quality has noticeably fallen off. Was talking with my bros over the holidays and he said they probably won't buy another Toyota. They buy a new Corolla every 2 to 3 years. And he's on his 2nd Tacoma. Plus all their kids (my niece and nephew) all drive Toyota too. (A Corolla and an FJ). So I find that interesting that my bros may move away from Toyota.

My 03 Matrix (Toyota/GM/Toyota) was not as good a car as any of my previous Toyotas had been. I especially wish I had my Camry 4x4 still..of course it was rust that killed it then..

@fintail said:

Regarding the Yaris, a relative of mine bought one a couple years ago. Definitely a "retro" car, and maybe not in a cool way. A significant amount of them sell to fleets.

• Options

From my recent experience with a new Yaris, I'd have to say that the car is basically a ten year old design that is just soldiering on. If you value reliability, affordability and gas mileage above most other things, it's still a viable choice. If "fun" is in your diet, you'll starve to death in this car.

• Options
    edited January 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    From my recent experience with a new Yaris, I'd have to say that the car is basically a ten year old design that is just soldiering on. If you value reliability, affordability and gas mileage above most other things, it's still a viable choice. If "fun" is in your diet, you'll starve to death in this car.

Well..those are pretty strong attributes. There was a time I had considered a used one as a 2nd car. The numb steering comments (and of course they are probably not very quiet inside..altho I can't imagine being noisier than a CRV) sure turn me off though..and today reading about the brakes being touchy..who needs all those dynamics taking the shine off the drive?

What are you going to replace the Mini with, another one? I ask because if I recall it is getting miled up and let's face it, there just aren't too many vehicles that are like a Mini really.. Maybe a 2014+ VDub? One that breathes extra heavy??

• Options

I am toying with the idea of replacing the MINI before it clears out my checking account during the night and splits town. Even though it has been a very reliable car, it is like a little chick with its mouth open all the time. Here we are at 110,000 miles (again, it's never let me down) but it needs a) tires b) brakes c) shocks and d) maybe a clutch. Sure, ALL cars need stuff like that after 10 years--it's not a criticism---but on a MINI those 4 things are in the order of $4,000 bucks!! This, on a car worth $7,000 with 90% of its parts STILL with 110,000 miles on them, after re-hab. There is a SWEET SPOT when it is time to pull the rip cord---that uncanny sense a gearhead has, when he knows that the pin in the hand grenade is wobbly---I'm not sure I'm there yet.

Alternatives to a Mini Cooper? Maybe a GTI, maybe a Focus ST, maybe a Fiat Abarth, maybe a BRZ? I should rent some of those. I'm not a fan of "sophisticated power" -- I like a "Wild Mouse" kind of car---small, frantic, and fast up to 80 mph or so. I don't care how it "rides" but I like comfy heated seats and some amenities like that. If it can out accelerate a Harley, and dart through traffic and screech around corners, I'm happy.

• Options

Noticed 4x Explorer Limiteds at the local Avis/Budget, Q50 was gone, lots of Altimas, Fords, and Hyundais, nothing exciting.

• Options
    edited January 2014

-- I like a "Wild Mouse" kind of car---small, frantic, and fast up to 80 mph or so. I don't care how it "rides" but I like comfy heated seats and some amenities like that. If it can out accelerate a Harley, and dart through traffic and screech around corners, I'm happy.

Wild Mouse? Outta those choices it'd have to be the Abarth probably, eh? My acupuncture therapist has 500 Pop. (and a Golf TDI which gets winter duty now). I specifically asked him what he thought of the seats and sound system and he said both were good. He's about 6' and the picture of health. He says it really has met all his expectations, which were fairly high after having the TDI. So I'm guess that things like seats in the Abarth are going to be even better although possibly a bit more laterally bolstered, which for me..probably the Pop fits my butt better. But the go the Abarth has would be a great distraction against any less than perfect traits.

edit...Anything out accelerates a Harley..lol

• Options

Got called into work this afternoon and did 7 local runs to the Palm Beach airport for Dollar. Went from their outer lot to their airport rental lot which took about 5 minutes with no lights...it was very close which was nice. Worked for just under 3 hours and though we didn't make a whole lot, sometimes we have to do the crappy runs to get a chance for the better ones.
    Heard some really good news today but don't want to spill the beans until I officially hear back from them but it looks like I might be getting a job I really want. Was told that my file was sent up to Human Resources today so we will see how it goes...do not think there is going to be any issues!
    Once I get official word, I will let everyone know. Pray for my success folks!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Some others got called in today to do 5 runs here in West Palm going from Hertz to Dollar...things are quite slow right now. Spoke with a bud at my old job and they are also home today and yesterday's gig was canceled as they were driving over to it. Things are in a lull right now and might pick up once this cold weather dissipates as people are going to want to come to the warmth of South Florida.
    Have an interview tomorrow afternoon for a small part time gig near my house, thank G-d, couple days/week. Going to go and check it out and see if it's a good fit for me. Could do both jobs and then I'd have enough hours as it would have a regular schedule and then on the off days, I could do my current gig. This combo just might work actually and give me enough hours and income to be happy here. I'd still be driving which is what I want to do really. And if I could have a couple days off/week, I'd be very happy. I need either Mondays or Thursdays off for my doctor appointments as he only sees patients on those two days and I have no problem working weekends. With tax season almost here, the wife is going to be super busy so she said to work as much as possible right now cause she wants to take a real vacation after April 15th. We need to go on a cruise or down to the Keys like we have discussed for awhile. She really does need the time away with just me, after almost 3 years of marriage, of kids and working and bills and sick parents, we both need time to just be together and enjoy the life we have built. Time to sit back and smell the coffee, we've worked so hard for this moment in time...not fully retired yet but empty nesters with just one kid left on the payroll. We need to discuss where we go from here. I know we will end up very near to our pharmacist daughter and our other case worker daughter will be close also. Not sure if we'll stay in South Florida or sell the casa and move to somewhere else. We need to make a tentative plan here. Time is marching on quickly!!!

• Options

Just talked to wife and even she said go to he interview tomorrow. I might not even get the gig after we talk, nothing is a given in life. But if I could get 2 days/week and work 4 days up here in West Palm, that would be great since the gig up here is not guaranteed. The one closer to the house is so I'd have a lot of flexibility and be getting a regular paycheck. That schedule is what I have desperately wanted for a long time now so this could actually work if they indeed like me. I know I could do the work even with my cane because he said the packages aren't more than 20 lbs. and I can do that easily...the cane is mostly for balance issues and should not be a problem. They want a retried gentleman which I am, someone who will show up when scheduled, again, someone like me. And with it being within 5 minutes of my house and using their vehicle...this is just perfect! I am psyched here now and hope I do get it!!!

• Options

Outstanding news today...but want to make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted, but it is the besets news I could ever have asked for. More when I find out for sure. Also will hear about that local driving gig for the dental clinic near me. Now this could be a good opportunity also.
    Did a run to Orlando today, we drove up Dodge Durango's...very sweet vehicles actually. Did everything right and not bad looking inside or out. Great job Dodge!!!

• Options

Saw my old crew again, this is going to be a fact of life I suspect, and all was cool. Spoke with a few and even the crew chief waved and smiled at me. The ride moocher was there but I will no longer give him the time of day, may he rot in...well, y'all get the idea!! Seeing that both company's are in the same business, this is inevitable so might as well get used to it. At this point, I've written of that $350 even though I should make sure he pays me back but what really can I do except out him in front of the others and shame him to death but seriously, folks like him have no shame. I am prepared now to never see that $ again!!!

The Sandman_ :)B)

• Options

Completed drug test and online application except they are calling me "Sandford" instead of "Sanford" but heck, they can call me anything they wish as long as they hire my [non-permissible content removed] at this point! Think there should be no issue here as I take perscribed meds from a pain doctor all legal like. There really should be no reason not to hire me next week. Sure hope as as I want it...badly and can't believe someone told them I didn't want the job. Damn, I could've been working there a few weeks now! But I can almost bet who ran their mouth against me here but no proof though. Don't matter now as long as I get it!!!
    Pray for me folks!!!

• Options

Most interesting thing at Budget/Avis this evening was a Pathfinder. Othewise a sea of plain Nissans, Fords, and Hyunkias.

Good luck, Sandman.

• Options

Enterprise Rent-A-Car charges customer over C$47,000 after car returned (Yahoo)

Reminds of the time we rented a car in Kodiak and had to drop it off after hours on a weekend to catch the ferry. There was no key drop anywhere so I quizzed the AK Airlines agent. She said "give the keys to me and I'll deliver them".

Come Monday morning after we got home, I called the rental agency and told them where to find the keys. :D

• Options

Long [non-permissible content removed] day yesterday, over 12 hours, and we did 4 Miami to West Palm runs. Drove a Passat, new Sentra, Sportage and a Camry...all very nice vehicles. Prefer my Tuscon over it's Sportage cousin, especially the purple colors of the Tuscon dash...do not like the red of the Sportage. The dash layout is just nicer in the Tuscon so I am very happy with my choice. Even my kid commented how nicely it drove earlier after I got ill at breakfast and couldn't drive home. Great vehicle!!

• Options

Another long day, 8 to 9:30. Miami to Orlando and then Orlando to Orlando, all going to Ocohee and the Manheim auction. One lady's vehicle broke down during the Orlando to Orlando run so we had to wait about a hour and a half to get things taken care of.
    Tomorrow is another 8 a m day and hope to work Wednesday also since I have personal business on Thursday. Hope to hear back from Hertz this week so I can start next week sometime. Also hope to have Mondays and Thursday off and would love to work Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This way I can volunteer for the other place and also have a day or two free during the week for personal stuff. Now this would be the perfect schedule!

• Options

Saw a Lancer at the Budget/Avis lot this morning - kind of an oddball. Otherwise a sea of bland common fleet makes.

• Options

Another Ocoee run in a '13 Dodge Durango but first we had a Miami to West Palm run for Enterprise and I got a '13 Buick Verano. Very glad I didn't buy one now! It drove well enough but...it just didn't wow me, and don't think I'd have been very happy after a few years. The Civic made me happy right up until the end and so far, the Tuscon is checking all the boxes. So far, todays drive was very helpful in helping me realize that I did get the right vehicle for me!
    The Orlando trip was for Hertz up to the Manheim auto auction and it really is a tremendous piece of automotive real estate...acres and acres of automotive heaven. I would love to just go there and test drive some of the gorgeous vehicles I have been seeing. A dream area!!!

• Options

Had a rental Passat parked beside me at work, a fairly nice looking car.

• Options

It's official...I start at Hertz tomorrow at 10! Not sure what my schedule will be but someone I used to work with at the old place got hired and he works 3 days/week. He got Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but I was asked if I would work weekends and I said I am very flexible...just want Mondays and Thursday off if possible with Mondays being the most important. Would also like consecutive days or like a two and one so I can still keep the job in West Palm Beach. Hertz will be down in Sunny Isles which is really North Miami Beach in Dade County. Am very happy and they said I'd get between 25 and 30 hours...just perfect. Figured 3 days here and 3 days at the other gig. Worked Monday through Wednesday and went to Orlando all 3 days but they have hired 3 new people this last week alone which ain't that good...more workers for less work ain't a great thing so glad Hertz hired me. Will basically be doing the same thing as I am now plus other duties...nothing I can't handle...I am thrilled and at $8.00/hour, good enough.

• Options

Yea!

Be sure to tell us if these stories have changed:

Confessions of a Rental Car Agent

Still hard to believe that $30 a day will more than cover the company's cost of most rental cars.

• Options

Congrats! Hertz might be interesting, maybe you'll get to drive some of their "prestige" and "dream car" fleet - they have some muscle cars in their "adrenaline" section, too. I know the dream car selection has some goodies - AMGs, Panamera, Cayenne, Maserati I think, too.

@sandman_6472 said:
    It's official...I start at Hertz tomorrow at 10!

• Options
    edited January 2014

I've rented E-class from Sixt pre-tax for $38/day, a friend of mine is renting from Sixt in ATL in a few days, chose S60 or equivalent for like $33/day. $30/day should indeed more than handle a cheaper car - these companies don't pay much to use the cars, admin and service costs are probably higher

I've never fallen for extra insurance or prepaid fuel etc, but upgrades are more my style.

>

Still hard to believe that $30 a day will more than cover the company's cost of most rental cars.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I don't often get prepaid fuel, but sometimes if I have an O Dark Thirty am departure and don't want to screw around with a gas station I'll take it for convenience.

• Options

They put me to work right away after I completed all my paperwork...they sent me over to the Hollywood East location and said I'd be based from here the next few weeks. So off I went after lunch and was pretty busy actually. Had a few crazy customers come in and watched as the station manager handled a customer who basically lied to her face! She handled it very professionally I must say!!! Think I will be kept quite busy on this job. I work Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays from 8 to 4:30 which is perfect for me. I can still keep my other gig for 2 days/week and have 2 days off if I choose to. I want the flexibility but also a set schedule and now I finally have both. Finally, I have what I have wanted all along!

• Options

I bet dealing with car rental customers can be annoying, especially if it is locals who aren't using insurance claims. Not a job for me. Good luck Sandman, glad you got what you wanted.

Friend of mine is in ATL, reserved an S60 or equivalent with Sixt, got an X1 - he likes it.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935

I'd be upset if I ordered an S60 and got an X1. Big size difference.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

He didn't care about the size, he just wanted a nice brand. He called me and told me it seems like a V8 compared to his Prius, which made me laugh.

• Options

First full day was good, started out slow but then things picked up nicely. Think 3 days/week is going to work out nicely and then I can do the other job around the state two other days. Having a regular schedule is priceless and also being an employee with my check being directly deposited weekly is sweet! Too much paperwork being an independent contractor but will keep the other gig since the Hertz is all local stuff and not sure which office I will be out of...the boss is putting me in each place for a few weeks to see where he wants to keep me at. Am hoping for the western most office to save on commute time and miles but his call. If he asks where I do want to be, then I will tell him as far out west as possible.
    So far, I am very pleased and think I found my perfect job with Hertz!

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Dropped into any convertibles yet - "Let Hertz put you in the driver's seat". Now you're retired so you probably remember those vintage 60's TV commercials. :)

• Options

I do remember those spots and I'd love to be in one to...lol! And looks like I'm "semi-retired" now huh!

• Options
    seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79

For something a little different in rental world, I spent the week after Christmas in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico for my brother's wedding. His rental car was a 4 door sedan (not the hatch) Chevy Aveo. Apparently, these are still being built and sold south of the border. AM/FM radio only, automatic, and that's it. Crank windows, no power locks. As runabout transportation, perfectly suitable, but otherwise, an awful thing.

I shouldn't be surprised these are still sold down there, since the state approved taxis in Jalisco are Nissan Tsuru (B13 Sentra in the States, which stopped production in the US in the late 90s) and Nissan Tiida (current gen Versa Sedan).

International travel is interesting for me as a car guy, to see what is sold overseas that either we can't get here (Ford Everest anyone?) or cars that we get here that have different names/badges in other lands.

• Options

Get to drive anything cool lately, Sandman?

Local Budget/Avis had nothing more exciting than an Explorer limited. zzz

• Options

For good rentals, go to Europe - the German rental fleets are insanely nice.

A friend of mine was in Mexico last year. I want to say he had an Aveo for a rental.

@seank2 said:
    For something a little different in rental world, I spent the week after Christmas in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico

• Options

Nothing really, working 3 days at Hertz but asked for more. Turns out that other company won't use you if you don't call in every night. I do not call in the night before I go to Hertz because that would be dumb. I called in Tuesday night and was put on stand by...I went to my kids place in West Palm to sleep over just in case I worked. Wednesday morning I called the lady who decides and I explained that I had a part time job and she basically told me she won't use me since I won't work every day. Told her that's crazy and I am being penalized for having the gumption to get another job since she couldn't give me all the hours I wanted. Also mentioned that she works others who have a part time job though they have been with the company longer. She said yes, that's true but that's the way things work here to which I replied than what's the point of my calling in the future? We left it at I am going to do what's good for my bottom line and if you won't use me, I'll find another part time gig somewhere else!
    I did ask my big boss at Hertz for another 5 or so hours per week which would bring me up to 30 hours, just the amount I really want. If this comes through, I will just keep my Hertz job. Also, he did put in my request for a transfer out west to the office I was hired to work for originally so we'll see if that pans out. If I can get the additional hours where I am now, I might just say hey, I'll stay here. But I do like the Hertz gig and having that set schedule so I can plan a life. That part is great really!!!
    I do miss the open road though. At Hertz, it's all local stuff moving vehicles or taking and picking up customers from nearby collision shops...sort of what Enterprise does as there is a lot of collision business down here in South Florida. Body shops on almost every downtown corner all busy so I have plenty of work and hardly sit down much which is good, might as well be busy at work. But I miss the Orlando and Tampa runs and driving a bigger variety of vehicles. my old boss and crew come in almost daily but we've called a truce and I talked to them and said hey, we're going to see each other all the time now so let's be cordial and all. And I also told him if he needs a body he can call me and I will come help out which he said he appreciated. Why hold a grudge if I can get a few hours out of it. I am trying to be the bigger person here and keep the personal out of the equation...I just want to drive!

• Options
    edited January 2014

With the way people drive in FL, I can believe it's a good place to have a body shop. Lots of insurance fraud too, I am sure. Too bad about the one who has her finger on the button - I am sure those types are often compensating for something.

No interesting rentals spotted here lately, Budget/Avis has had a few of the awkward Versa trunkback sedans, and an Outlander sport.

• Options

One day, would love to drive the Mitsu Outlander Sport SE for an extended period of time just to see what I did pass on. It's hard to tell on a 5 minute test drive anything really, one really needs a few days to really see how well a vehicle will fit into ones life. I do love the cuv kind of vehicle more than an suv, a bit smaller in size and easier to park and better on mileage. Did drive a Mazda CX-5 today and do like my Tuscon better overall. The new Impala today is sweet and the interior is probably the best GM has ever done...hands down with very high quality switch gear and all. The domestics can do a great job when they have to and hope all of them catch on to this fact quickly!

• Options

I had that Impala LTZ for a week back in November, no doubt one of the better P cars in the National fleet, much nicer than a base Maxima or Avalon.

• Options

Had a new C Class and new GLK when I got to work Friday morning and was like damn...when did those puppies come in? Boss drove me over to the local MB indie office to pick up a rental and naturally, she drove the GLK and left me with the Taurus. She drives around in a brand new Impala LTZ and seems to have strict use of it and not sure how often they swap it out for her but since she runs two offices, probably a perk. She is excellent at what she does...is into revenue and moving vehicles and gets the job done...she is the "decision maker" and she reports directly to the head guy in this area, the guy that hired me. She will be moving up in this company no doubt about it and I sit there like a sponge and take it all in. The other guys are laughing at me cause I listen and don't say a whole lot...tell them two things..."knowledge is power" and "I'm there for the green, being friends is just a perk but I am here to make the money to qualify for social security". They laugh at me but hey, I'll be the one who's laughing in a few years once I exit that door with money in the bank and enough quarters to get social security and my pension!
    Told her flat out I want more hours and I'll stay at this location if you can guarantee me the 30 hours/week I want. No if's , and's or but's about it...give me what I want and I'll make you shine. being an employee works better for me than an independent contractor and I do not want to work full time...already have health insurance and have done the full time route for over 30 years now, I want a part time gig with just 30 hours, 4 days /week. Then I can those 3 days for me and quit that other gig as I'd make more at Hertz. I am a good driver and both those other company's know it but USA in Lauderdale and I have have bad history so they won't call...their loss. USA in West Palm will eventually call and Amazulu in West Palm again is just silly, others have part time gigs and she works them so why not do the same for me...stupid woman!!!
    Whatever, I will go where the green is pure and simple so either yes or no, make your choice and there is where I am going!

• Options

"88 percent of drivers of the millennial generation, the 25-34 year olds, reported that a positive experience with a rental car influenced their perception of a particular make or model. That contrasts to just 71 percent of all age groups surveyed.

And younger drivers aren't leaving vehicle selection to serendipity. Fully 53 percent say they chose a rental car specifically based on their desire to test out a new model, with 28 percent reporting that the rental-car experience motivated them to begin shopping for a new car."

Millennials Use Car Rentals as Extended Test-Drives

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Anecdotally, my daughter loved the Nissan Versa she had as a rental and remains very positive about it. One reason they might equip rentals a tad better.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

My daughter loves her '09 Nissan Versa SL very much and is very happy...it does drive very nicely. Took that GL out to pick up a customer this morning and it is sweet...too bad it is being rented tomorrow morning! Oh well.
    Great news, my transfer went through yesterday and I start on the 3rd of March at the Pembroke Pines store where I was promised. But instead of 25 hours, my new boss asked me if I could do 30/week...dumb question...of course I said "YES"! I got just what I wanted actually with the location and the number of hours. Only problem is I haven't been paid in four weeks of work yet. Was told the check went to two different locations and "they are working on it". Finally called payroll today and there's no record of me!!! Very strange situation going on...hopefully someone will have an answer for me tomorrow. Right now they owe me about $1k and I would like it. They have a voided check of mine somewhere...totally crazy situation here!!!

• Options

Too bad about the pay, but it will work out. And congrats on the better position. It just takes time I guess.

Regarding better equipped rental cars, it's nice the makers finally realized that renting a car can be like a test drive, and that dumbing down fleet models really hurts perception. There seems to be a lot of more loaded rentals in the fleets now than say 10-20 years ago, cars of all sizes too.

• Options

Interesting day at Hertz...a big argument happened unfortunately. We have a lot of Canadians near our office and lately, a lot of the problems have been with some of these folks. Today I went for a vehicle at our beach location and there was a huge amount of traffic. Boss called and asked where I was and I told her and apologized for not calling sooner...was maybe 10 minutes late. Turns out the bridge over the inter coastal opened to let some boats through...took a good 20 minutes to get over it and I called again with my progress. Got back and vehicle needed to be washed and vacuumed out. Went over to customer to explain what had happened and that it was being cleaned out now. Well, ya think the sky had fallen! She's screaming about her kid and all waiting, blah, blah, blah...turns out the kid is 7 and playing with his iPad with no clue. A few minutes later I hear yelling and screaming and name calling...this went on for a good 15 minutes, no lie. Then she demands, not asks, demands a refund on a rental she hasn't even done the paperwork on because of the fact that I was late due to the bridge going up to allow some boats through. I was floored here!
    Turns out the person said she needed to speak with the branch manager, the lady she was screaming at! She is my boss, so my boss calls her boss and they said they'd work something out once they bring the vehicle back. No, that's not good enough, she wants my bosses boss and won't take no for an answer. My boss calmly tells her she has the authority to make things right when they bring the vehicle back. more name calling and insults at my poor boss who up to now has been a real lady. Finally it gets to the point of stupid and my boss tells her that she won't rent her anything now because of her attitude. More yelling and the lady says she's calling the police!!! Bat [non-permissible content removed] craziness here folks, all over an act of G-d where I had no control and she wants a monetary compensation for that but has to know now what that is. It got really stupid and I was floored over this lady's rudeness and demanding monetary compensation over this stuff. My boss did the right thing and asking her to take her business elsewhere...when one comes to another country, one should be a bit nicer to working class folk.
    Boss calls another Hertz in town and appears they already know this person's name from last year and a similar problem where only monetary compensation would do...basically the same m o as now. I just couldn't believe my ears honestly...very sad to hear older folks cursing, demanding a refund over something like this...I was embarrassed for this customer and her daughter. My boss did her best to remain calm and in control but finally she had had enough and just asked them to leave.
    People do the strangest things to save a few bucks and makes no sense to me. Best to be polite, remain calm and talk nicely and 9 times out of 10, you will get what you want. This lady and her daughter had no clue about this kinda stuff and it was best that she just left...folks like this will never be happy even after they get what they want and make the worst kind of customer. But I do give my boss credit for putting up with the customer as long as she did! Unbelievable really!!!

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited February 2014

@fintail said:

Regarding better equipped rental cars, it's nice the makers finally realized that renting a car can be like a test drive, and that dumbing down fleet models really hurts perception. There seems to be a lot of more loaded rentals in the fleets now than say 10-20 years ago, cars of all sizes too.

I don't know. I was surprised that at my last rental all the cars on the lot had at least 40k miles on them, and all were base models and older ones at that. No test driving any of them unless you are interested in used vehicles.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere