Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I do both! After I dropped off the Mitsubishi yesterday at the airport I spent some time surveying the lot to see what else I might have snagged... Chevy Captivas and ford Fusions, both old and new style seemed most likely, along with Nissan Altimas... But the Galant did the job. Then when I was sitting in the terminal waiting for my flight I was searching FAA registration #s on the aircraft I saw coming and going. I saw a United MD80 that was built in 1991, yikes.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,432
    1991? That's only 22 years old..

I used to unload a DC-3, that ran a regular cargo route, four days a week.. That was in 1987, so it was about 40 years old!! (granted, no passengers)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    United never flew the MD80 nor DC9 it was derived from. Delta and American have large MD80 fleets and Allegiant flies a bunch of them. The latter have blue tails so maybe that is what you actually saw. Believe it or not, there are even some B757/767 older than that flying on domestic carriers. Cars and planes - you've got good taste ab348 :-)

Speaking of airliners, have you seen the new American livery yet? They used to have such a distinctive one, but they are changing because of the increasing number of composite fuselages, which means no more bare aluminum. The new one is rather generic looking until you get to the back - really garish tail to me. Makes the plane look like it has a fat [non-permissible content removed]. Of course, some like big booty's I suppose.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Well, I know it wasn't Delta, since that's who I was flying. It might have been American now that you mention it. The reason I noticed the aircraft was that it *looked* old, kind of dirty and dull. Maybe the aluminum needed a good cleaning.

On this trip all 5 legs were on regional jets, either Canadairs or Embraers. They are both a little tight for my liking but the Canadairs seem a bit more substantial and a bit quieter in flight. OTOH both Embraers I was on had me in the single-seat position so that helped a bit.

I always thought 737s were small planes until I started flying on these regional jobs, Now a 737 looks positively huge. Delta had one at the gate which I looked up to be sure it was indeed a 737, because it looked bigger than some of the other ones also there. I know they have manufactured many variants of them -perhaps this was one of the larger sized ones.

I don't fly as much now as I once did, but I do like to compare my aircraft experiences as a passenger. I still think my favorite airliner ever was the L-1011. DC-10 was good too. Generally I do not enjoy Airbus aircraft as much as a comparable Boeing. Not sure what those who fly them might say.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The L-1011 was a pilot's plane. Some believe that if the American DC-10 crash in Chicago and the United one in Iowa had been Tri-Stars, they wouldn't have happened because Lockheed ran the back-up hydraulic lines away from the primary ones, unlike McDonnell Douglas in the DC-10. On a strictly looks basis, my favorite is the B707-320. For current aircraft I'd go with the B757 (but they will probably be phased out before the decade's end). Some of the B737's are getting pretty long like the 900 series. The pan on Airbus is that it is too computerized and takes away the independent feedback each pilot gets on a Boeing aircraft.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Yes, the nav looks like a tablet glued onto the dash. Lo res, equivalent to a Garmin nuvi. But it works well, got me thru construction rush hour hell in Geneva this afternoon. Do you know who does it for them? Tom Tom perhaps? Lots of POI info...pretty impressive.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Did a quick 4 hour run to Miami and the surrounding area for the other team. Was a quiet week with not much work so things ain't looking good, Have some more interviews this week but am looking for the right job. Hear the hertz open house will be this Tuesday so plan on going at this point even though they have my resume and all info they need...this is the gig I really want!
    Time will tell what the heck is going on here but it doesn't look to good for USA! Folks are in a state of panic as the one's who have this as their only source of income are really screwed! I feel badly for them but if I can find jobs out there, so can they, just requires a little bit of computer work which I do daily. I will miss this gig if it does end but I know I will find something even better...think G-d had me here for a purpose but that time is coming to an end soon!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Got to drive a new Passat yesterday and think I prefer the Jetta better due to it's smaller size though I think they both share the same engine. It was a dark gray color so a bit drab looking with a black drab interior to match but when I needed to accelerate to keep up with the vehicle I was following, it kept pace without any hiccups...just pure smooth acceleration. Was very pleased to get this vehicle as I got a choice from this Sixt person. Had no choice with my 1st vehicle, a VW Tiguan, but again, was very pleased with it. Turns out my brother has a new one and he absolutely loves it after the last generation Jetta he owned since 2007. I could be very happy with this Tiguan as my d d and have added it to my short list. It was the base model but it had all that I would want, except the XM radio. It was dark red over gray and was very pleasing to the eye though the alloys were a bit boring looking...would prefer a bit more bling probably. Again, had adequate acceleration for our jaunt down 95 from Lauderdale to Miami. On this vehicle, I had no choice and was glad with what i got. Some of the others got the Hyundai Tuscon, another great vehicle in this segment which is also on the Sandman's short list. I think the seating position is a bit higher in the Tuscon and I do prefer the interior a bit more than the VW's...not as drab and they all have the XM radio, something I have grown to love...and want in my next vehicle.
    I rode shotgun with a co-worker in a Nissan Rogue from Hertz that was going from Miami to Pompano for sale. It is a very nice cute ute even in the base model that we had, an "S" I think. I prefer the "SL" model I test drove a few months ago on that used 2011 version I briefly considered, but even the "SV" is pretty nice. Nissan did a nice job with this vehicle and from what I have read, it is due for a major redo for the 2015 model and if it will look like a mini Pathfinder, that won't be half bad. Am so glad there will be a broad choice of vehicles to choose from when I am ready to purchase come 2017 or so so am pretty excited!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sandman, I was reading this article in the NY Times online about drivers who hire themselves out to drive the client's car wherever they wish. In other words, a chauffeur on an hourly or demand basis. I have no idea how that works for insurance, licenses, etc. but seems like a rather nice idea, to cater to an aging population who do not wish to give up their cars entirely, or perhaps someone who doesn't want the hassle of driving while going to a special occasion, etc.
  • Options
    I do have an app in with a local company that does exactly that. They needed my insurance info and a few other things but I would be driving the client's vehicle and take them to the things you mentioned so I am hopeful that this will work out. From what that one company told me, I have above the normal limits for insurance so this should not be a problem. Would love to dive a snowbird's vehicle down to Florida if I knew any company's that still do that sort of thing. I knew a few folks who did this years ago and they said it wasn't bad and only required a 1 night stay at a hotel on the way down to Florida so that would be great. Thanks for your suggestions and keep 'em coming. I know I will land on my feet with another job to incorporate with my current position until that one ends. I even called a few payroll company's to check into being their courier but I really do not want to use my personal vehicle and rack up a whole mess of miles on my Civic...almost at 47k now, a big change from a year ago now. Hell, I even had to do another oil change/rotation last Monday as I was down to 15% on the oil minder...the two prior years I had driven under 1000 miles/year!

The Sandman

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Driving Miss Daisy. And after two or three years, you convince them to buy a new car, and by the way, you'll be happy to take their old Hupmobile off their hands for a fair price.
  • Options
    It was a Hudson wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I keep forgetting that there really was a Hupmobile - the name sounds more like a generic word for an old beater.
  • Options
    Founded by Robert Craig Hupp. Never did figure out what happened to that other "P".
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Yep, a pretty maroon 49 Hudson Commodore which replaced a ~47 Chrysler, followed by a fleet of Cadillacs. Great movie, not only for the story and production values, but for the car spotting.

At the end, Daisy's son has changed from the Caddys he drove for decades, To this new kid on the block - the producers captured the time pretty well.
  • Options
    Very enjoyable picture and loved the different vehicles they had. Been a slow weekend with no work! Something's gotta give here soon! Have a couple interviews this week and if I don't work Tuesday, I will go down to the Hertz open house with another resume in hand even though I sent one already to the head of the office. Can't see that it would hurt my chances at this point. If I could get that gig, I'd be set and not look back and integrate both positions until the USA one ends.

The Sandman

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Good luck, I bet you'd have more fun working directly for the rental agency. Does Sixt hire anything directly that you could do? Then you'd get to sample all those highline cars.

On the movie and rental topic, once when I was in Atlanta, I drove my rental car to the Driving Miss Daisy house, in Druid Hills.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I was thinking about going over to Sixt and put an app in just in case but am afraid once they see my cane, they will just pass me over. Sure, they will take the app and talk with me but that will be it and I can not prove they discriminated against me either as company's are real slick when it comes to this stuff. They will tell a reasonable lie and that will be it. So I am really between a rock and a hard place because I just can not tell an employer that I walk with a cane or else I am toast. This has been a real problem for me all along and it does stink! But I am going to stay positive here and hope for the best!

The Sandman

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Go for it, the worst they can do is say no. Be sure to mention your cane was not a real issue in your previous/current driving job.

Are there any other independent companies who manage the fleets?
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I think Hupp is still in business making large HVAC systems.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Called Hertz about the open house tomorrow and they were clueless so waiting for a call back. Set up my interview on Wednesday for a pain clinic where I'd use their vehicle to transport patients which sounds just perfect...am very psyched about this position! They seem to have many places near my house so hopefully it'll be the closer location but I am going to give it a shot. Worst they could say is no as the Hertz thing is just a bit unorganized right now. But I will call back before the day is over to get more info if they have some. I know I will land on my feet here so at a good place and very confident. And I will stay with USA until they no longer call me to as I have nothing to loose here.

The Sandman

• Options
    Oh, there's another possibility - lots of assisted living kinds of places have a van or limo or bus to take residents to the doctor's office and they usually have dedicated drivers. My mom's place has a bus and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars. There's a lot of waiting around but there are some field trips in addition to the daily doctor office runs.
  • Options
    Just got word that we've got an Orlando run for Sixt in the morning with a run to Miami and back before we even leave for Orlando so should be a great day. The first run will be a split because there will be more bodies than vehicles but splitting between the 11 of us is the fair thing to do...and I am all about being fair! So glad that we got something finally since the last few weeks have been so horribly not busy...folks were going a bit stir crazy with no work and bills to pay...definitely feel for the folks who have this as their only job. These last few months have shown me, and hopefully them, that this job can not be the only one as it can not support anyone since it is not full time, one must have another gig to go hand in hand with this one or else those bills will not get paid! This is just the reality of the situation and the ones that do not look for anything else are being pretty dumb!
    I made the mistake, as another co-worker did, to lend another person some $ when they couldn't pay their rent. He asked me for help and since I felt so bad for him, I agreed not once, not twice but three different times to help him. I feel so blessed that I felt that I needed to help this person and he did promise to pay me back but I do not think this will ever happen as he refuses to look for another job and won't face the reality that this gig is not going to last that much longer. In my mind, I've written this debt off and figure that G-d wanted me to help this individual out for a reason so that's that...I have written this debt off in my mind. Just wish he didn't assure me that he would pay me back once things really picked up but obviously this is something that was meant to be and I am moving on here. Have told my oldest but not her mom as my wife wouldn't be too thrilled with me but just don't want to hear "I told ya so" right now!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    Nice, hope Sixt gives you something fun.

Regarding loaning money, the few times I've been asked to do it, I've thought of it as a gift with a possible lucky chance of a return. Never counted on seeing it again. Makes it easier.

Local Avis/Budget was almost empty today, just a few cheaper Chryslers and Koreans. And that Prius and Zipcar Civic that have been there for a couple weeks.
  • Options
    Local Avis/Budget today had 5x Camry, 2x Elantra, Sorento, Avenger, and that same Civic and Prius. None of the much lamented GM rental queens to be seen.
  • Options
    Been quite busy with 2 Orlando trips since yesterday. The major thing is I am about ready to quit! The boss has turned into a major [non-permissible content removed]! Missed the Hertz open house yesterday and though only 10 people showed up, gotta a feeling that my cane is going to prevent them from hiring me. Missed today's interview because the boss needed me to work and now that job was picked this afternoon. I am a real horse's [non-permissible content removed] here and pretty angry at myself right now for being such a good employee and getting treated like garbage! I am very sad right now!

The Sandman :( :confuse: :sick:

• Options
    Spoke with a person I know at that office and the positions have not been filled yet so there is a chance I might get one of them. I just hope they can overlook my use of a cane as if they can, they will get a great employee who will give 110%. The hours are perfect for me and though it is a bit far from the house, about 32 miles, I am more than willing to do the drive. Getting this gig would finally be the answer to all my prayers about a part time job! Hoping that G-d will allow me to do this for a long time to come! I am very hopeful today...anything is possible!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    I think you should go for it, or work for that other team leader. The weirdo you work for now has done nothing to earn your loyalty, right? So why give it to him? Look out for number one, and preserve your sanity. Maybe see if they'd hire some of your friends on the crew too.

For rental cars, a friend of mine is in Dallas and got a Chrysler 300. They have no idea what's under the hood, but say it is "nice".
  • Options
    The wife and daughter #1 agree that I should switch teams and might do it. Sent my boss a text asking if there would be work today and if not to just not respond and he responded with a very sarcastic answer...I was a bit blown away as I didn't need any answer if we were not working but guess he needed to get in the last sarcastic word. A few hours later I sent him a note saying I am not trying to be nasty or anything and it's just that we see things differently...nothing sarcastic or nothing, just a statement of fact. If he wants to not use me, he won't call me and I will get the hint. Until then, I am staying the course.
    A bit bummed out that we didn't work this weekend especially with season starting. Hope things pick up very soon!

The Sandman

• Options
    Wasted time - I am sure it will be hopping between Thanksgiving-Spring Break. If he won't let you work, someone else will. It's simple. You could have been driving a Sixt Mini or C class today ;)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    why put up with the guy? I bet you can become friendly with people on the other crew.

I side with your family. Just call the 2nd boss and tell him to sign you up.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I have spoken with a few of my crew members and they commented on the tension between the crew chief and myself and they agree that is kinda mean and unwarranted because they said that I have done nothing wrong and have just been a hard worker and very agreeable which is the truth. I think that this situation will come to some sort of confrontation and will be resolved somehow...either he will apologize and let things go or he will ask me to go over to the other team. This would be the best way for things to be resolved in my mind as it will let him save face...if I tell him I am going, the rest of the crews will eventually find out and it will look like I caved and just ran away which would make me look like I did something wrong which is just not the case. If he treats me like everyone else, I can move on with no hard feelings because I am an adult and this is just a job...it's not personal. So we will see the next time he calls to work...and hopefully that will be in the morning! All I want to do is work...I want to drive!

The Sandman

• Options
    Don't sweat what anyone else thinks (outside your immediate family anyway). The crew will survive without you and faces don't fall off.

On another subject, I'll be in LA in a month and want to get a car for ~3 days. How far ahead should I reserve one? No illusions are harbored about reserving a particular model (a Prius v) but that would be icing.
  • Options
    Probably do it asap, unless it is a company that offers last minute specials, and they might not with hybrids.

Many companies have a "hybrid" choice now, and some offer Prius, but I think they are all the standard Prius, I've never seen a rental V in a mainstream fleet.
  • Options
    Just like I thought, I was passed over for work today! I got a text that the crew was working this morning and they were wondering why I didn't show up...told them I wasn't asked to join and that's why I am sitting at home. The other crew is doing Hertz today and they only need 4 drivers and he has his crew. Looks like it's gonna be a slow period for a bit here. Time to go back to Craigslist now!
    I fear the end is near for me and USA!

The Sandman

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Reserve it ASAP. Rentals in LA are crazy expensive. And if you want an actual choice good luck.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    heard there was more work this afternoon and that a couple were used Saturday for Orlando...ain't the grapevine nice! I think I'm pretty much toast here. Did send a letter down to the manager at the Hertz store to remind him that I'd love one of the positions and to explain why I couldn't make open house...hate to be a pest and keep calling. They have to know by now that I really want this job so...gonna lay low mow and see if they want me. Applied for another position on Craigslist and I also saw the same ad that USA used when I got my job online so I applied to it also, maybe it is a whole different company, but doubt it. I just want to work!
    Miami International car Show starts on the 8th and the wife got some discount tickets as we are going! Told her we should get a hotel room and sleep over in Miami and go to the show and spend a day or two down there and she is thinking it over. Trying to be spontaneous here as she complained that i am not and now she's like waiting...I can't win here. But one thing I know, I want to go to the show sometime next week! Would like her to see everything also so she can get an idea about her short list.

The Sandman

• Options
    I booked like 4 months ago - I think the price is 2x as much now. I chose National, as their scheme usually gives more choice than other carriers. Well under a week to go now, pick up time will be fun.
  • Options
    Why don't you go to that other team? You owe this guy no loyalty. In fact, what you should do is join the other team, then talk to your friends on the old team and talk them into leaving, too. Bad managers don't deserve nice treatment.

Just think of the cool cars that you could potentially be driving right now :)
  • Options
    Where to this time? Nice that you get to travel so much. We talked about doing the Key west long weekend and about my cruise to Alaska that I want. The Grand Canyon came up from her so looks like we'll be doing some traveling eventually. Since we've never done a cruise, think a week out in Alaska would be neat but think that the summer or just before schools get out in May might be a good time...less families and all. Sounds like it could be loads of fun actually as cruising down off of Florida is dumb because we already live in a tropical climate...want to see something totally different and not hot!

The Sandman

• Options
    You are pretty logical here...and telling me that I missed 3 runs yesterday was like pouring salt into a wound, if I didn't answer my cell, try my house, I mean the extra few seconds would not have hurt and he's done it before. Just nuts really but I think I know what I have to do. Mailed off that nice note to the hertz manager and hopefully it'll do the trick to get me in the door as once I'm in, I know I will do a great job for them! Then I can tell my boss to take his job and stick it up his holier than thou [non-permissible content removed]!!! Really, that would give me such pleasure as I've never done that before to anyone...no one has made me feel this unworthy before! He really is a shmuck!

The Sandman

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Being single has perks ;)

I am just going to LA (only a 2 hour flight for me) - I've long wanted to visit some movie filming locations, and as I have to burn an extra week of saved vacation time at work, now's the time. Got cheap airfare, used bidding sites for hotels, so it won't be bad. I'll also be driving to and flying out of Vegas - I like desert landscapes and haven't been to that spectacle in 6 years, should be a fun wrap up - and at the time, National had no one way fee.

LAX actually has some cheap deals from some of the odd brands (Advantage, Fox, etc), but the big names seem steep. Just like Seattle.

Regarding the job, certainly, once you find a replacement, burning a bridge won't hurt you.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well, it won't be tropical in May for sure. It's usually still chilly and usually wet (but it's a maritime climate). And not much tourist stuff is open. It's a bit busier in prime time but it's worth it to aim for late June. It never gets like Orlando though.

Gee, I really should do something about that rental in a month.... Maybe this weekend. :)
  • Options
    Presuming you don't get cleaned out at the tables or by a hooker first, if you're taking I-15 be careful in the vicinity of Primm. The Nevada police like to lurk around there waiting for people to open up the throttle. Hopefully you don't get snow at the Cajon Pass. Oh, and there's an In & Our Burger off the Interstate in Victorville! Done that drive a few times.
  • Options
    Ha, I will keep an eye out. I'm not even much of a gambler, just thought it might be a fun drive, and somethjing to see.

I think I went to an In 'N Out the last time I was in Vegas. When I am on the road, I try patronize things not seen at home.
  • Options
    If you like the Mojave desert you'll enjoy the trip. After you are CA for awhile an unexpected agricultural check station and forced stop on I-15 will be an unpleasant surprise. Cajon Pass is kind of neat. Depending on where in LaLa Land you're going it's probably only 5 ish hours (unless rush hour, construction, accidents, et. al). If you're into the Route 66 thing, there is a museum in Victorville - but I haven't actually visited it so I don't know what it is actually like (the one in western Oklahoma is neat, like that will help!).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Texted the other crew chief that I am ready, willing and able to work tomorrow and guess he needed a body cause I am working! It's my teams day to do Pines(Hertz) and I was next in line but of course, got no call! And I had let my boss know that Thursday, I have an eye doc appointment and can not work so I know he will text me tomorrow night to come to work Thursday so I can decline. This way I decline a job and he looks good because he asked me to work...crazy [non-permissible content removed]! But something tells me that since I wasn't asked to work since last week and he saw me on the other team Friday night, he is not going to ask me anymore...I know they worked Saturday, yesterday and today and I was not asked. Guess the choice might have been made for me! And if so, I don't really mind to be honest with ya...I don't really mind!
    Working for Sixt tomorrow so I know we should have some fun vehicles and I was already told it's going to be a fun day, whatever that means!

The Sandman

• Options
    I'll be in LaLa land for 6 days - so I will be ready to hit a more open highway, no doubt. I am probably going to just take I-15, I was thinking of doing a scenic route via Palm Springs, but I will probably be too lazy.
  • Options
    Funny, it was as easy as sending a text, and now you are back to work. That says something. Maybe Sixt will have a bunch of 2014 MBs etc that need to be moved around.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes, that's the funny part! So maybe my choice has already been made for me! You will love Palm Springs...we went there many years ago and loved it, or I really did. The weather was very nice and it had a nice relax vibe there, much batter than L A. Also loved San Fran and wish we could've spent more time there. Just walking around the city was so much fun and reminded me how nice city life can be.
    Lived in New Orleans during my college years and in the Garden District our last year and it was amazing. W weren't too far from St. Charles Avenue where the trolley runs and where a lot of the Mardi Gras parades went down. And we were super close to Magazine Street where there were so many cool shops and places to eat/bars...it really was the best place to live when I was in my early 20's. Always something to do and then end up in the Quarter having coffee/chocolate milk and beignets...totally awesome!!! Found out on Sunday that my fraternity is having a reunion in New Orleans next October. Just told the wife we should go and I did't get the best response from her! But could be fun since I haven't been back since graduation many years ago!

The Sandman