Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    You're making the right choice. Move on, you'll have less drama and more work.

Palm Springs is a bit of a detour, maybe best for another trip, but we'll see. My hotels are all through bidding sites, so my dates can't change. I'll be spending some time in my rental car the day I go from LA-LV, no matter which route I choose.

I've never been to NO. You should go to the reunion, let the leash out a little ;)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Seems like people either love Palm Springs or don't care for it. It's kind of like southern Florida - some very nice parts and then lots of strip malls, retirement communities and cheapo housing everywhere else. Kinda just looks like a lot of the rest of southern CA desert topography to me. When it's hot season, the misters spraying customers as they enter and exit the downtown shops is kind of fun. A couple of things to bear in mind. It's a good 2 hour drive from LA and pretty much LA type traffic most all of the trip. It's on I-10 and that leads into Phoenix, so you are quite a bit south of Las Vegas. You will be on a lot of two lane road heading north whether you go up through the CA desert or along the CA/AZ border (either side). You've got to get to Kingman to hit the 4 lane up to Vegas either way, just a matter of how much I-40 you want to use. Don't get bit by any rattlesnakes along the way now :-)
  • Options
    I'm thinking it might be too much of a detour - the links back to I-15 from there don't seem very direct. I'll probably just take a direct route, not looking for a 7+ hour drive just to say I've been there.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited November 2013
    Texted my boss yesterday morning that we need to either sit down and clear the air or I will be leaving the crew. Got an answer I wasn't expecting but he didn't care if I stayed or left and found no fault on his part! I said I was sorry that he felt this way but I could no longer put up with his"unfairness and bitchiness"! (I think my boss is gay, others have said there's no question, but I don't know for a fact but he is a bit bitchy, a lot! And personally, I have no problem if yes or no...he's just my boss.) If he had given me just an inch and said yes, let's resolve the issues and move on I would've stayed in a heartbeat but he just didn't care so I'm gone...he just blew me off completely! Worked with my new crew the past 2 days and they seem o k, not like my other co-workers, but I'm fine here and will be fine.
    We were supposed to work 8 hours today but after 4, there was no more work so we were sent home. Tomorrow I have an eye doc appointment rescheduled from last week, so will be off. Turns out my old crew is doing those 24 foot Budget trucks again so am glad I am gone as I won't ever do those again...just way to big for me. Lastly, I finally got to drive a Buick Verano today and it was fantastic...this is a vehicle I could purchase tomorrow and be totally happy with for years! It was that good...very nice driver!!! I want one!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Now's the time to get some of your old co-workers to jump ship. Causing hell for a bad boss is a nice form of payback.
  • Options
    Great payback but no one will join me. I left the crew that others have been coming into, a first really. I know my old boss says he could care less but I bet underneath it all, he feels pretty bad. I did text most of my co-workers to let them know that I was no longer there but I bet they all knew already. Just felt it should come from me and I thanked them all for helping me and just being cool folks to hang with. Deep down I know some of them feel like I do but they don't want to rock the boat and I'm sure others are glad cause it means more work for them...whatever! I did what I felt was right and staying after I put it out there would've made me look hypocritical and weak...I just didn't want to give the boss that satisfaction that I was that way!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    And the rental is....

A new Impala LTZ. Fairly loaded - pano, leather, parking aid, lane departure, collision warning. and a bunch of other stuff. The National lot at LAX was packed, overflowing, but a lot of bland vehicles. Premium also offered things like base Genesis, base Avalon, base 300, decently equipped Taurus. Luxury had non-loaded Volvo S60s and MKZs, and a base model G37. Oddball on the lot was a base Acura ILX. They had a couple of C class for upgrades, but for $200 on top of my rental, no thanks.

The Impala is a big car, and surprisingly fast, chirps the tires with ease. Seems well put together - a couple small pano roof or headliner noises on bad roads, but interior materials are on par with everyone else.

Just one pic so far:

• Options
    Not a bad looking car. But seriously Fin, you're in LA and Vegas. How are you going to successfully go "wenching" with that sedan? Or are you going to go cruising for a blue hair sugar mama in the Del Webb neighborhoods! :-)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wonder what they were charging for a last minute rental?

Yeah, I really need to reserve something, lol. Or I could get something from Sixt. Just have to get to the closest Sixt branch to LAX - the one in Tijuana.
  • Options
    Tijuana - minutes to get in, hours to return to the US!
  • Options
    I like it actually...have seen a few at the airports but none in the Hertz fleet yet which is a shame because I'd love to drive one before we are gone from Hertz though no one has said when this will be. Methinks it'll happen on January 1st but not positive. No word on the job at the Pembroke Pines location I applied for even after I sent the station manager a personal letter. I just hope he reads it and gives me a fair shot. No work this weekend and have heard nothing about tomorrow when my new crew does Hertz...maybe I will be used on Tuesday. Not going to second guess my decision quite yet but even if I could go back now, doubt I would because there would always be that weirdness factor there...and even if he really needs a body and decides to call me in the next few months, I will be professional but that green elephant will still be there. And his pride will get in the way as he's shown me...folks who can't budge an inch on making someone else happy can't do it because they think it shows weakness in them...to me it shows character, that one can admit maybe I did make a mistake or I can see the other guy's side. This he can not do and that's why we are where we are at. I can apologize when I have done wrong and compromise to make someone else happy...just wish this didn't bother me as much as it does!
    Not many jobs on Craigslist that fit me right now but maybe soon. I really need to get some more hours of work so might need to think out of the box here...I really want to work more!

The Sandman

• Options
    For the economy model you'd be renting, probably not too expensive :)

Sixt is in Phoenix, I think - but for standard cars they often are not the cheapest. The third tier brands at LAX can be pretty cheap, you can probably get something for under $20/day - but it might be an abused Rio with 50K (rental miles!) on it.
  • Options
    I'd have rented a Corvette if I was going after that ;)

I already drive what some call a grandpa car in normal life, this is nothing different. It's sportier than the base Lacrosse that was parked alongside it, or the base Avalon that I could have picked!
  • Options
    The LTZ model is what matters - the LT is a lot more basic. I went over the car and also see it has heated steering wheel and cooled seats along with all of the nanny assists. Not shabby for a Chevy. Having the new style car also matters a lot.

I spent 6 hours in it today - a few beefs come up. Pano roof needs more tint, rear visibility is poor, rearview camera is low resolution, pillars seem thick, media system doesn't recognize my SD card playlists (my normal car does) - but that's minor or common stuff. And on a positive note, in the small heatwave going on here, the cooled seats actually make a difference.

Regarding the job, the old boss was a jerk to you. You don't owe him any favors. Bad managers need to be taken down via their own actions - when employees walk away, the problem isn't usually with the employee.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Funny, even the majors were listing the Prius as a "specialty car" to the tune of ~$93 a day. The "buy it now" cost at Priceline is running around $30 a day for a midsize, before all the fees. Might just make a lower bid as we get closer to the trip.

With all the recent hospitalizations by both our elderly moms, I'm not convinced that the trip West is going to happen anyway and kind of hate to get tied into any more non-refundable reservations. The change fees on the plane tickets will be bad enough.

The last time I rented a car in San Diego (a Neon), we got the insurance and drove through Tijuana to Ensenada and San Felipe (where I almost succeeded in getting the Neon stuck in the sand adjacent to a dry lake bed shortcut). We recrossed at Mexicali and didn't have any wait at all. I think that was the trip where we discovered Jacumba Hot Springs. Looks like that place has finally reopened.
  • Options
    You might have to give up the Prius idea unless you want to pay to play. I'd just make a refundable reservation with a third tier cheapo ...or risk it. Sometimes there are last minute deals.

Besides, LA has enough Prius driving at random speeds and random lanes on the highway already :)
  • Options
    Got around to cleaning up the car, here are a few pics:

Parking lights are angel eyes borrowed from BMW:

Spent several hours in it again today, nice to have something smooth and comfortable with some of the roads and traffic here.">
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Finally met the "big guy" at Hertz today and talked for a few minutes with him and the station manager. Told them both that I really want to be considered for one of the positions coming up. Explained my background in the post office suits me well here to work with the public. Assured them that I can do the job even with my cane and have been doing it for the last 5 months with no issue. Told them I am flexible schedule wise and that I would be a great asset to the organization. Hopefully that is enough to get their attention and get one of the jobs.
    Will be looking for other jobs still as the writing is on the wall with my current one. We loose Hertz on December 28th so after that it's gonna be real slow, much slower than now. Need to leave before then if possible. Found out that the new boss has his favorites to...and is doing the same thing as the one I left, working the same folks multiple days in a row without going down the list in a fair fashion...man do I feel stupid! Learned a valuable lesson though, no longer will I cancel things just to work as loyalty and commitment mean nothing to this company. Feel totally let down but just going to change the mindset and put "me" first from now on. Will no longer cancel anything for the job as it don't matter one way or the other. Might make less $, but making less anyways now, so...! But I do know one thing...I need to find something else and leave as "the thrill is gone"!

The New Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    Very sweet all around! Hope I get to drive one before either the job ends or I leave for another gig. All I know is our days are numbered...and so are those of this company! But hey, one reaps what one sews! They have no one else to blame but themselves here!

The Sandman

• Options
    If you're going from the UP and don't mind driving to a cheaper airport, you can take Southwest out of Milwaukee, Chicago Midway or Detroit. They don't rip you off in those situations with change fees. They let you bank what you paid for the ticket and then apply it to another trip airfare within 12 months. I think MKE long term parking is only something like $7/ day to boot.
  • Options
    It's easiest for me to take UAL these days. Not my favorite airline even if my sister did put in 31 years with them, although the last trip out got weather delayed, and they had me rebooked before I landed at O'Hare and I even saved some time over my original booking. That was encouraging. It's not a fun flight any way you cut it, but driving out isn't feasible right now either.

Fin, I think the last minute deal will be the ticket. On the plus side, the less time in a Prius right now means the longer I can delay a dealer visit (unless the seats are awful, in which case I'd be off the hook too).
  • Options
    Did that when we went to Chicago back in '09, went into Midway with Southwest though O'Hare was much closer to Wilmette, our destination. When we go back in April, going into Midway again as it's closer to my boys place and we'll get a hotel right near him as that's the reason for going. We'll go visit the cousins in Wilmette for a day so I can see my old uncle but we want to see Chicago, really see the city and walk a bit. Also taste some of the great food we've heard about! Should be a fun trip and we'll finally get to meet our son's lady, who sounds very nice. I think she's the one!

The Sandman

• Options
    I still get back there once in awhile. Lot's of good eating, but I'm partial to what I grew up with; Portillo's hot dogs and Italian beefs, and thin crust sausage pizza (always preferred that to deep dish). There's something unique about the sausage on Chicago pizza's. When I'm on the east coast I prefer plain cheese or peperoni though.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,400
    Mmmmm... Al's Italian Beef..

I liked Portillos... not so fond of Chicago deep dish pizza..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    No work today but hopefully in the days to come...our team did Hertz today. Was told that our gig with Hertz is ending the 28th of December so I hope they choose me to work at the Pembroke Pines office. It's only about 30 miles from the house, not that bad and it is supposed to be 28 hours/week to start...told the guy that's perfect for me as I don't really want more hours than that. I need a couple days off every week and I could always drive for USA those days I don't work if they are still in business and want me to. But got a feeling that things are going to slow down so much that most of the younger guys will leave for other work and the retired guys like me will just stay on and work whenever. A sad way to see things end as it was a great job when I started...and still could be if things were done fairly. Also hope my old boss will call me if he needs an extra body because it's really silly for him not to and I don't have bad feelings anymore...really. Time has a way of mellowing one out and I don't want to hold on to a grudge as it's a waste of energy. I know he was struggling yesterday to get 13 folks and there were a few new guys. And really if I did go with him, I put my headphones on so there is minimal conversation to say the least but his bitchiness could be a problem!
    Sure hope something comes up the next few days...if not, going to go to the auto show in Miami even if the wife can't make it...she's a bit ify about going right now and I want to go so just might go myself Friday afternoon as it opens at 2.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    Oh yeah, Al's is good too. But it's locations tend to be in the city proper or near suburbs. I won't get into what some of us call Buena Beef :-) Chicago is famous for introducing deep dish and I don't mind it once in awhile. But I prefer thin crust, and ironically so do many Chicagoans I know. Aurellio's is interesting and tasty, and you can't go wrong with Home Run Inn either. Now I'm hungry!
  • Options
    I wonder if bad management is behind those contracts expiring.

I've found by biggest irk with the Impala - the transmission. It seems when I lift off the gas in slow traffic, it kind of free wheels and almost kind of speeds up. Very annoying, as I then have to brake. I don't know if it is a design issue or maybe a software bug, but it is annoying. Otherwise, another long day in the car, and no issues.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised actually. Have found out that both guys have their favorites and use them more often then the rest of the crew, something I just don't like as I think we all should have the same fair shot as everyone else...if you work one day, go to the end of the line and so on. This is not how this company works so I think my days at USA are numbered...I like fair! Today we took 10 Suburbans to West Palm from Lauderdale for Sixt and that was it. Found out my old team worked all week so I basically cut my nose to spite my face and the folks who I left are all working more so I still lose! But at least I stayed true to myself and my sense of fair play and right...but that don't put money in my paycheck!!!
    Drove some BMW's today a 2005 drop top and a 2011 1 Series and mulling things over. Also a nice 2011 Lexus CT 200H which I actually really liked...had about 31k as I recall but a bit pricey at $25. Not sure what I will do at this juncture! I want to...but I don't at the same time...a bit scared to do anything right now as just not sure and it is a whole lot of cash. Still waiting on the judge also so not sure. Did tell the wife finally and sent her a text of the black convertible...hope she knows I just might do this as I think she thinks I am bull [non-permissible content removed] her!

The Sandman

• Options
    Make money in misery or make less and stay sane. Sanity is expensive.

Regarding your cars, just do what you want, it's your money coming from your family. Your vehicle trials and tribulations make me glad to be single ;)

Lexus CT depreciates slowly, might be one of those cars best bought new - I think sales have stagnated, deals can probably be had.

Less driving in the new Impala today, mostly on smooth roads where it is a pleasure - in gentle driving the 3.6 is almost inaudible and very smooth, nice to see GM putting a competent engine in mass market cars. I saw a loaded up Fusion rental today, a Platinum Ecoboost model, I think it had a Hertz barcode.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I hear ya on everything. Got called into work and got down to Miami to find out the place closed at 3, the Hertz outer lot, and won't be open till Monday...we were supposed to move 11 vehicles up to Hollywood West so we get paid for just sitting in a van, crazy huh! Applied for another similar gig on Craigslist at 11 this morning and they called me by 12:30 and have an interview Tuesday late morning...company located at Ft. Lauderdale airport and it sounds promising so will go check it out. If it is something with a defined schedule and similar money, I will take it and kiss the other place goodbye...think G-d wants me to change my job situation and this could be what I am looking for. We shall see Tuesday. They wanted me for Monday but I already have work scheduled on Monday at 7 a m so didn't want to back out like that.
    Got calls from the car dealers I went to yesterday and told them both I am not moving forward with any BMW at this point. The Lexus CT is the one I am seriously considering actually...have priced new at the dealer and they are just too expensive...mid to high $30's is just to rich for my blood! The used one at $25k with 31k on the clock is probably as much as I'd ever want to spend...and then I would have to trade my Civic or try to sell it privately. Probably going back in the morning to Carmax to test drive it again and get a trade figure for my sled and then see about financing...hate to sell so many assets right now and since I haven't gotten my check yet, I just might finance for a month or two until I get it and then pay it off. Need to go and drive it again just to see if I could live with the CVT on a daily basis, it's so different than a regular auto tranny so have to be sure here as it is a big commitment. Though every time I look at the pic of the Lexus, I really really like it...and the interior lux is just what I am looking for...I am actually excited about it, just as I was when I bought the Civic...it just feels right. Now if I do like it enough and the wife doesn't get to excited about, then I will check into financing and a trade...one step at a time here.
    It's a grayish silver over beige and is just beautiful and the best part is that there aren't that many around. The mileage figures are very impressive with 43 city/40 highway which really ain't too bad on regular unleaded...no high test! I am excited here about this and the interview so things may be changing a lot in the next week or so!
    I do sometimes wish that I could just make a decision without getting someone else's opinion...I take awhile to make a change and tend to be a bit indecisive but on this decision, I know I want to do it...it's that simple and it's really the first vehicle where I could see trading out of the Civic, something that I have not felt about anything I have driven. Had I driven that white 1 Series yesterday, I might feel different. Funny thing is the BMW was a couple thousand cheaper with similar miles but I think I prefer a Japanese name plate truth be told!

The Sandman

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Get what you want. That's the point after all! It sounds like what you want is lux inside and frugal mph too, and the CT fits that bill. With your physical condition comfort is key. The Lexus will be cushy enough that you will really see the difference between it and the Civic. It has outstanding reliability too. Just be sure to take it on freeways to make sure it's pickup won't annoy you after awhile. On normal around town driving you probably won't notice the CVT at all.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Absolutely...having driven my kid's Versa SL hatch on the turnpike numerous times, I kinda know what to expect with a CVT tranny so it isn't a big deal really. But you are right, I do want lux this time around and the Lexus has it and truth be told, the seating position is "cozy" but not something that I can't handle. I do plan to take it out for a longer spin if they will let me...I-95 is very near the Carmax and that will tell me if I can really live with it day by day. The color combo is o k and the vehicle looks clean, a 1 owner unit with a fender bender on the carfax, so I plan to check that out if I decide to pull the trigger. Just wish my finances were where they should be, haven't received that "check" yet so I would either need to finance part of it for a short period of time which I just might do actually as I hate to sell assets that are doing very nicely to be honest. Something tells me that if I wait a couple of weeks, the vehicle will still be there and if not, they have a similar unit in Miami they can bring up for me. I just have to decide what I really want to do here as I don't have to do anything at this juncture. And even if I wait a few months, I know I can find another Lexus CT or that IS 250 that that lady I know plans to trade might come up so I do have options here. And Lexus seems to be the best of all worlds here for me, though I do like the MB C Class a lot and I have found a pristine '06 Sport that I plan to go and try. I am having fun shopping though...there's so much out there and to be honest, that grey 1 Series the BMW store had was a hoot to drive...very responsive with just a tap on the accelerator.
    Considering I am still all over the place here, waiting a bit and doing more test drives is probably the prudent thing to do...1 week of serious testing might not be the best time frame as I might pass up the "perfect" vehicle and to be honest, I'd like to pay cash for the whole thing and be done with it!

The Sandman

• Options
    The guy just called and asked what i plan to do. Said I am waiting for funds to come in but I will drop in in the next couple of days to test drive it again. Asked about financing and said if i do do this, I'll need some numbers on my Civic as it will have to go if I in fact purchase the CT, as it would become my daily driver. I did check out the other hybrid Lexus has, the sedan, the 250H i think and I do like it but it's mileage figures are both in the low 30's which seemed odd to me since they seem to be basically the same vehicle so why the big difference in mileage figures?
    Right now my head is spinning with all this stuff so maybe it's best to just take a break with it all and just wait a bit longer...I don't need to do this!

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,400
    Yeah, but the HS250h looks like a Corolla... At least the CT is sporty looking, and looks like a real Lexus...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    But I still like them both...and the mileage figures. Just not sure I want to get rid of my current ride for one of these at this juncture. best idea might be to just hold off 6 to 8 months and get mine up to 50k on it and then try to unload it or traded it. Not sure spending $20k on a vehicle is the right thing to do at this point in time. Even my daughter said, "you want it but you're not ready to buy it, so there's your answer"! And she's 100% correct here, so I am just going to wait until I have no hesitation. But who knows, I could wake up in a few days and say, hey, what the hell, just do it! And if that happens where I ahve that moment of clarity, then I will know I'm ready and go do it! Just like I did back in June of 2006 when I drove off that morning and bought my Civic...I just knew that was the right moment to purchase...that moment of clarity when all my ducks were in a row! And I know G-d will give me the sign when the time is right as everything in life is timing!

The Sandman

• Options
    Like mother, like daughter. :)
  • Options
    Both girls said the same thing actually...they also tend to be fiscally conservative like their folks and aren't that spontaneous when it comes to spending. As of now, I plan to just pull back a bit and wait till I get my funds into my account. Then I will feel much better about writing such a large check. And maybe I'll find something I like better in the meantime. All I know is right now, I am not ready to pull the trigger.
    Anyways, working tomorrow and busy Tuesday and got a feeling Wednesday I'll be working again, so not the right time.

The Sandman

• Options
    The thrill of the chase may be more fun than the actual ownership. We're sure enjoying your tales of searching for the "right" ride.

The in-law's medical situation seems to be stabilizing so we're still planning on our trip early next month. Gonna line up that car rental.

Any.day.now. :)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    The thrill of the chase may be more fun than the actual ownership. We're sure enjoying your tales of searching for the "right" ride.

Hear, hear. After pulling the trigger on the Elantra last week, I'm feeling a bit down as I've got no reason to visit the dealers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    I just got back from Aruba late last night. The rental I had down there was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door. Hate to say it, but I wasn't overly impressed.
    First off, the steering and handling felt numb and vague as hell. Do these things have electric steering, I wonder? Anyway, I swear, your typical 70's mid- or full-sized car seems to handle better! Or, at least give better feedback.

Second, it didn't seem all that fast. I know these things aren't lightweights, even if they're kinda small. Around two tons, I guess? Still, I'd think with the 3.6 under the hood, it would feel pretty quick. But, it didn't. Now admittedly, Aruba is not a good place to test out the quarter mile, but just pulling out into traffic circles, there was a hesitation that felt downright dangerous.

Third...the power windows. C'mon, do they really need to cheap out like that, only putting four switches on the dash? No switches at all in any of the doors, so back seat passengers depend on the people up front to raise and lower the windows.

On the plus side, we did a bit of off-roading, and, well I guess that's what these things are made for! Now, I didn't do anything too serious, but I never got stuck, and never had to use the 4wd.

And, fuel economy, for that kind of driving, really wasn't that bad. About 14.7 mpg I guess. Sounds pretty dismal, but that was with the a/c running most of the time, a lot of stop and go, short trip driving, three people on board the whole time. And, a lot of back roads and trails where I wasn't getting it much over 20 mph.

In contrast, the Kia Opirus (Amanti) I had last year got about the same mpg, and needless to say, I didn't do any off-roading with it. And the year before, I had a Kia Karens (forget what the US version was called, but it was sort of a tall wagon like those old Nissan Stanzas, Honda Civics, and whatever Mitsubishi called its variant), and it got about the same mpg.

It was my first experience with a Wrangler. Overall, not my thing, but I can see the allure of them.
  • Options
    And I enjoyed the one I drove to Orlando with the broken top. Agree that the windows switches were a bit odd in their location but overall, I liked the vehicle. Dismal mileage but hey, one doesn't get one of these for the stellar mileage numbers...it's the fun of it that most really want. As a daily driver, think one would tire of it very quickly! But, it was fun for those few hours with the top down on a nice warm day!

The Sandman

• Options
    We just had "the talk" and she thinks it's the dumbest thing in the world, which is what I expected her to say! It's that logical part of her brain talking here and I can't say that she's wrong here...but she don't get it like you guys do. The fun is also in the hunt, driving vehicles I'd never think to drive, or even want...this is fun even if I don't do a thing. I do see the logic of not doing anything and that's where I am out right now.
    Just found out that she bought a new laptop for her business. Bought it last week and I don't question her which is the difference...I don't feel the need to control which has always been a major issue. And I am not the kind of person to play [non-permissible content removed] for tat, which if I was, that vehicle would be here in my garage already. It's that logical side of me that usually wins every time. We shall see!
    She did like the mileage figures and understands why I'd look in the hybrid direction which is a good start. I know that my timing is a bit off right now and I have no problem waiting for things that I want. I am a patient person and know eventually I will get what I want!

The Sandman

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    well, I think you should just tell her that you read on the internet that the most fiscally irresponsible behavior is to eat out instead of making food at home. Which is also known to be healthier (you tend to eat fewer calories too).

Hey, need to fight fire with fire, right?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I've learned to fight the important battles over the years and as such I don't think this is one of those times actually. My time frame in all this is very flexible and I don't need to do anything right now, I just wanted to. My Civic is in perfect condition right now and I'm just as happy to keep it for the time being. I can still look and test drive and when the time is right, I can pull the trigger. And as I said, once I have my funds in the bank, I can do as I wish. So I will wait and when the time is right, I'll know and purchase something. I feel bad for the sales folk but that's their job and I'd bet they make sales maybe 50% of the time. And I am lucky in that we have high Fico scores and can pay cash...would only finance if the rate was super low or 0%. Could even finance a small part and make the payments electronically if it comes to that.
    Since I am in new vehicles all the time now, I kinda got caught up in the fun of it all. And to be honest, the CT is really a whole lot of fun and very comfortable...one day perhaps! So Stick, guess it's up to you to be the next one to buy here but seriously, check out the 1 Series...it really is one heck of a ride!

The Sandman

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,677
    edited November 2013
    "...then I will know I'm ready..."

In the meantime get yourself a Craigslist beater for a few thousand and drive it like you stole it. If you shop carefully it'll last until your moment of clarity.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    At this point, am just stayin' put with my Civic for the time being. Am lucky since I don't have to do a thing! So really, whatever I do, it's a win/win for me here...I get to keep my funds where they are and I have a nice vehicle to drive. It's just not as lux as I want now but I am a patient guy...and in the end, I will win. And tomorrow, I get to go to work and drive some rental vehicles and hopefully have a new job on Tuesday. I am truly blessed folks!

The Sandman

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    that is why a modest price toy is nice. Not making a real commitment, can always get rid of it if you get bored and you still have the Civic.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tkfitz1tkfitz1 Member Posts: 36
    We had a different rental car this year. A Great Wall. The model was a Florid. A little hatch. It did well enough on gas, and was all we needed. This one was loaded with power locks, windows and even a auto trans with a sport mode with select shift. I think the Daihatsu we had last year was better. I would NOT buy one to drive back home.
  • Options
    Just read on another forum that someone got a 750Li at Dallas/National for the $50/day Premium Selection upgrade - nice find. Would be cool if that stuff becomes widespread, I'd have done it.

I see in Vegas, Enterprise rents motorcycles, too. Unfortunately, just Civic-sized Harleys.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well it's Vegas, so nothing has to be "real". But gee, renting those porkers to old guys with diminished capacities--not such a great idea, seems to me.