Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    fintail said:

Kind of on-topic, I saw a previous gen S4 being used for Lyft duty today.

I heard Lyft and Uber were experimenting with an "executive" fleet of higher end cars for higher end people :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,223
    Yep, they both have the option of premium cars for premium rates.

Seeing how quickly midsize lux cars can depreciate, this may be a better angle than being a normal driver, especially in upmarket areas.
    andres3 said:

I heard Lyft and Uber were experimenting with an "executive" fleet of higher end cars for higher end people :smile:

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    berri said:

suydam, give me an update when you get one with somewhere around 40K on the odometer. That seems to be the point where rental Cherokee becomes a pile, but with the Renegade on a different chassis perhaps it will hold up better?

The Renegade is built on the Fiat 500 platform, isn't it? If so I wouldn't hold my breath...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I’m not sure what your point is. I wouldn’t buy one, but it was a good rental choice.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,223
    ab348 said:

berri said:

suydam, give me an update when you get one with somewhere around 40K on the odometer. That seems to be the point where rental Cherokee becomes a pile, but with the Renegade on a different chassis perhaps it will hold up better?

The Renegade is built on the Fiat 500 platform, isn't it? If so I wouldn't hold my breath...
    Same as the 500x

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Deleting extra post. No delete button???
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,749
    suydam said:

I’m just checking that I can leave a comment here.
    Yes it just posted. Why did I get a message over on Cars and Conversation that my comment would be reviewed before posting? Something odd there?

Sometimes, it happens when the page is slow to load. I get it occasionally

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,976
    We have a 2017 Nissan Versa sedan and it drives nicely and definitely economical. Has about 12,000 miles on the clock now and a decent enough vehicle!! Really wanted something with a back up camera and Sirius/XM but decided to keep what we had signed up for. A decent vehicle for those looking for such a size vehicle. The CVT is just not an issue as it works!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999

We have a 2017 Nissan Versa sedan and it drives nicely and definitely economical. Has about 12,000 miles on the clock now and a decent enough vehicle!! Really wanted something with a back up camera and Sirius/XM but decided to keep what we had signed up for. A decent vehicle for those looking for such a size vehicle. The CVT is just not an issue as it works!!

Glad you were satisfied. I bet when you drove your Golf, and your wife her A3 you had renewed appreciation for how good they are.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    My mom and sister are traveling this week, and have a Hyundai Sonata as their rental. They drove today from Charlottesville, VA to Kingsport, TN in a driving rainstorm. Sis said she had the wipers on high the entire drive, and had to slow to 50 occasionally.

But, she said it was a competent road trip vehicle.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Yes, got in my Golf today and on the way to work, noticed how much I really really like it! Not that the Versa was bad in any way, think I'm a bit spoiled by my own vehicle. Glad it's mine actually and now gotta go take care of that broke side view mirror. They can paint it before they have my vehicle, just have to pay upfront. Said they'll need 1/2 day to install and check things out which work for me as I do not want to rent another vehicle for a day or two.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    If it is not an oem mirror, make sure you test drive it and listen carefully. Sometimes those replacement parts don't seal well.
  • Options
    Sandy, when I used to travel for business, I drove a pretty sparsely equipped car as my DD, so I went to great lengths to rent something nice.

Now that my personal vehicles are well equipped, I'm not a picky about what I rent, though if I have a choice, I'll try to get something I haven't driven before.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I really had no choice though I had hoped as a Hertz employee, that they might upgrade us to a nicer vehicle but that never went down. Really wanted XM or a backup camera in it but ya take what ya get! All was good at the end of the day!!!

• Options
    I did enjoy the Renegade we had — for a few days — it did have backup cam but no BLIS or XM. For a long trip like you took I would not have liked its mpg! I had a Nissan Versa Note a year ago — really enjoyed driving it.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Not all that long ago most rentals I got had working XM radio, but not too frequently these days.
  • Options
    My rental 300 late last year had working Sirius/XM. As it was a Hertz car, it had zero options, so that was a nice concession.

My next rental will be in Germany, where satellite radio isn't really a thing yet. But the cars make up for it,
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    andres3 said:

Where can I find a Viper ACR in the rental fleet?

You can rent an SRT-10 for $950 a day. Not quite the same thing though.
  • Options
    I just read on a German forum about what is available at the Sixt branch where I will be collecting a car in less than 3 weeks: S6 Avant, 740i, Ghibli, Mustang, 8 unregistered Giulias, several V-class, Espace, and normal smaller cars. Out of those, I think I'd hope for the S6 the most. I don't want to have a rental Mustang in Europe :) - I would like something that doesn't exist here.
  • Options
    fintail said:

I just read on a German forum about what is available at the Sixt branch where I will be collecting a car in less than 3 weeks: S6 Avant, 740i, Ghibli, Mustang, 8 unregistered Giulias, several V-class, Espace, and normal smaller cars. Out of those, I think I'd hope for the S6 the most. I don't want to have a rental Mustang in Europe :) - I would like something that doesn't exist here.

I think you should try to get the Alfa or the Maserati - unless you are concerned about reliability.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    I wonder if the Giulias are unregistered because of reliability concerns?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    That's what I suspect - fleet dump of unsold cars. They weren't Quadrifoglios, either, normal spec looking cars, likely diesel. Sixt has had Maserati and Alfa in the fleet for some time, but in small numbers. Last time I was there, I was offered a Ghibli for a laughably high upgrade charge.

I have reserved in the "luxury sport coupe" class, which is represented by a larger engined BMW 4er, which would be more than fine, and the rate was decent. It also leaves room for upgrade,and in my experience, Sixt in Germany upgrades more than downgrades when a reserved class isn't available. The Giulia would be in a smaller class, probably the same as the 3er sedan (which in Germany is a premium full sized sedan class).
  • Options
    Sixt is the reason my "C-Class" rental reservation became an E-Class 350 rental. Upgrades for no cost most definitely happen.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Definitely, that's how I got a 7er with my 5/E reservation. The X5 was technically a free upgrade, too.
  • Options
    Drove a new Volvo S90 at work today. Took a few minutes to figure stuff out. Way too complicated for the average bear. Seats were comfortable though and the leather was pretty decent. Accelerated nicely with power to pass when needed. Don't know the price but bet it's way to high for what one gets.
    Think I'd rather have a BMW 3 Series to be honest if I'm gonna spend that kind of cash!

(P.S. We also got a bunch of new 2018 Buick Encores in at our Miami incoming lot today. The sticker showed $31,350 which I thought was outrageous for what one gets. It's not an attractive vehicle but not to bad either but think GM needs to reconsider their pricing of these. Guess that's why there aren't that many on the roads today. Too pricey with not enough value. I would only buy one if they lowered the price by a fraction because if I'm going to spend 30 large on a vehicle, it better be for a BMW or MB. And then, I'd gladly spend the little extra to get a premium brand because nothing GM makes is premium anymore unfortunately!)

• Options
    edited October 2017
    They are a very popular seller for Buick. No one pays anywhere near MSRP. It’s a fantasy number.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Is the Encore made in Korea?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yes, and maybe Spain as well?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm still experiencing diminished fuel economy (about 2-4 MPG lower than usual) since my last recent oil change. The car was very consistent so I think my 2 to 4 lower miles per gallon figure is accurate. Unless, of course, they reprogrammed the computer to tell the truth during my last oil change without telling me.... Trust but verify. This is my first Korean motor, so I'm highly suspicious.
  • Options
    There was a time at least when Asian dealers would do secret updates and repairs while the vehicle was in for repairs, whereas domestic dealers told you upfront what needed to be done. I think that approach may have helped Asian reputations, albeit on a somewhat deceptive in my mind at least basis.
  • Options
    berri said:

There was a time at least when Asian dealers would do secret updates and repairs while the vehicle was in for repairs, whereas domestic dealers told you upfront what needed to be done. I think that approach may have helped Asian reputations, albeit on a somewhat deceptive in my mind at least basis.

I've heard that line of reasoning, but I'm not buying it, at least not for my life's experience.
    1. Point 1: Our families Toyota's and Honda' s never broke down or needed tow trucks, so if they did get serviced secretly during an oil change it must have been a very minor thing.

2. Point 2: Getting oil changes at the dealership isn't/wasn't too common; especially for makes like Honda or Toyota where free oil changes were unheard of back in the day.

3. Point 3: I don't recall getting any Recall Letters from Chrysler/Dodge about the Neon. So I wish they would have secretly repaired the car, as they had plenty of opportunity to do so, but it seems they ignored supporting the car after purchase. If they did make secret repairs, it must have been as effective (or even less) than Honda's OIL JET fix on their automatic transmissions for V6 engines.
  • Options
    And the evidence for these “secret repairs” is . . . ?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Got a charge for some Florida tolls even though my transponder was charged also. Called the company and sent them a copy of my transponder charges to prove that yes it was working properly and that their Bogus fee was just that, and I must be paid back. The charge is being disputed with Amex already but no one can give me a clear reason why it happened and think many folks just pay it. I refuse to be charged extra when I followed the proper procedures so that my transponder would be charged!!

• Options
    What, are we in a court room andres and suydam B) You seem to be missing some data or points with the numbers andres. I've driven Asian and Domestic. Basically, I remember asking a service writer what some codes were on my service receipt for an oil change. He then told me it was internal Toyota updates (I suspect computer). Then I read, I believe in the Wall Street Journal that some Asian manufacturers routinely update and correct when a vehicle is in for an oil change or other service. Nothing wrong with that, but when the same thing occurred on my Ford, the dealer service guy asked if I minded if they did some updates. The receipt then specified what was done. All cars have issues, just a difference in how it seemed to play out. As for things like oil changes, I certainly use the dealer. Saving a few bucks at some change shop doesn't seem wise to me. The issue is a perception thing, not a quality thing. btw, many internal notices to dealers are informal, not major issues that NTSA requires be formally sent to the owner. So maybe you can chill a bit now.
  • Options
    Sandman, sounds like you got a Hertz toll charge even though you used your personal transponder. I've had this happen (actually with Hertz). I went to their contact Hertz provided (in AZ I think) and once I provided them my toll transponder records they credited my card. Be careful disputing directly through your credit card. if somehow there was a missed toll your transponder didn't pick up, you will end up with late pay on your credit card.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    Just made a reservation for a trip in a few weeks to Tenerife. I went for a convertible; let's hope I didn't just jinx the weather. Sixt says it should be a A3 Cab or a 2 series, but we'll see what happens when I actually get there.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    tifighter said:

Just made a reservation for a trip in a few weeks to Tenerife. I went for a convertible; let's hope I didn't just jinx the weather. Sixt says it should be a A3 Cab or a 2 series, but we'll see what happens when I actually get there.

Sounds like a fun trip; good thing all the 747's will be retired by the time you go!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Ouch!
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    Michaell said:

tifighter said:

Sounds like a fun trip; good thing all the 747's will be retired by the time you go!
    I fly transatlantic about six times a year. The 747 is rare these days. Out of SEA, only Lufthansa and BA still use them to Europe. For transpac from SEA, maybe EVA Air? Not sure anymore.

Funniest 747 flight I can remember was Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong. UA overnighted them in Saigon and took them back in the morning, and we are only talking about a less than two hour flight. Early morning departure, so it was an empty plane. Pick any row you want in the upper deck and relax...the lounge was even emptier.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    As I've not ever traveled internationally, I don't think I ever flew on a 747...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    10 across seating is like sitting in an auditorium. Nervous flyers get the heebie jeebies when they notice the wings moving up and down a bit. Of course, the large wing surface exaggerates that, but if jet wings didn't have some flex they'd tear off in flight. American never got interested in the B747 because they felt it didn't fit their route structure. They did have a brief fling with the smaller SP version though. Delta actually flew several 747's and DC10's in the early 70's. The L-1011 Tristar's they ordered were behind schedule primarily due to initial Rolls Royce engine problems, United wanted to delay some orders, so Delta ended up leasing them for a short period until their Tristars showed up. And that's today's airline trivia.
  • Options
    FedEx inherited some 747s when they bought Flying Tigers around 1989.
    They had a route from Chicago to Anchorage. The freighters were outfitted with 20 passenger seats, and even had a flight attendant. Some friends of mine would drive to Chicago to get the free flight to Alaska (employees, of course).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Got in touch with the company yesterday. They told me what to do and my oldest was over last night for dinner and showed me how to send the pdf. Provided all they asked for so that should get me my refund. Lady was quite nice and she admitted this happens a lot. I asked why a few times but she honestly had no concrete answer for me. Just annoying that when I called before we left to find out the best thing to do and they screwed that up.
    Hopefully this will be resolved by next week, the early part.

• Options
    I missed something. Was there a problem with your rental? That is really a hassle to deal with. Hope it’s straightened out soon.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    I'm in Germany now. Flew in on a LH 747-400. Rental car is about 10 days off.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    suydam said:

I missed something. Was there a problem with your rental? That is really a hassle to deal with. Hope it’s straightened out soon.

He got doubled charged for tolls--both on his transponder and from the rental car company.
  • Options
    This seems to be a Florida thing. I don’t have a transponder, but there’s one place where there is some automatic toll you can’t avoid. That tripped me up. And their Florida pass doesn’t accept other toll passes such as Chicago or Pennsylvania, which I have. Glad it got fixed.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Nah, I've had it happen several times in different states. One of the times though, I was at fault because I didn't place my own transponder right on the rental and it missed several of the tolls. It wasn't that hard to resolve really.
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    fintail said:

fintail said:

Once when flying SF to Sydney, I happened to be sitting next to the pilot for that flight, who was dead-heading from Eugene. I asked him what a fully loaded 747-400 weighs at takeoff for that flight.

875,000 pounds, with fuel, passengers and cargo...amazing...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I was sitting next to the pilot once on a 727. But, I was in the cockpit. B)
    You know, the pilot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator