Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti I30/I35

Comments

• Options
    motorhead6motorhead6 Member Posts: 10
    :-) Funny comeback :-)
    I'd guess the mailman was late 30s to 40s. That may be considered an old man by some of you.
    The I30 is a four-door sedan not a coupe or convertible! ANY four door could be considered an "old man's car". I30t is a lot sportier than most sedans.
  • Options
    mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    Definately, the 2000-01 I30 is much more sportier looking when compared to the ES300. I had a 2000 I30 loaner, and parked it up against my TL in the driveway one day, and saw many similarities. My dad thought the I30 didnt look that great compared to the TL. I think the I30 looks better from the front compared to the TL. However, the loaner was only a regular I30. The "t" model with the spoiler packaging looks much better, and with that new blue color (nice nice color!), the car looks great! Cant find 17 inchers on a Lexus. There are many goods and bads about each car...but I have about had it with my I30...
  • Options
    redskin024redskin024 Member Posts: 110
    my dad's has Toyo tires... smooth, quiet ride.
    no uneven gaps either... the problems you are experiencing with the loaner are probably why it is a loaner!
  • Options
    I have Toyo's on my 97, and I have always thought the car was noisy within the cabin. It is not as quiet as the TL or my previous Diamante. I am guessing Infiniti had not used as much sound deadening material as in the other vehicles. I have heard theories about the windows being .02mm thinner compared to other vehicles, which was later proven wrong. The ride is smooth however, despite issues I have had with the car constantly pulling left.
  • Options
    esco2000esco2000 Member Posts: 5
    Infiniti I30.... This is not really a question, but more of a comment. Has anyone noticed that when you change out your headlight bulbs with the German manufactured blue ones that it causes problems with wire socket (the place where the bulb goes in) it tends to melt it, causing your light to go out, sometimes it blows the bulb, but the actual problem is the socket itself. (food for thought) i ended up changing out the socket itself with one that had thicker wires going to the socket. you can get them at any auto parts store for about $3.00 a piece. I haven't had any problems since. Seems like the manufacture would've noticed this problem?
  • Options
    Infiniti I30....I was recently reading one of the comments posted here and heard that the infiniti i30 has cell phone capabilities installed already..is this true?...how is this possible if it only has one antenna.....and if it is possible, then what exactly would i have to do to have one installed.
  • Options
    I recently purchased an Infiniti I30, and i was thinking about adding a couple of accessories, but i wanted to get a glimpse of a couple, to see what looks good and what's WACK'...does anyone know of a website where i could view some hooked-up Infiniti's???
  • Options
    tgbeldentgbelden Member Posts: 2
    Anyone out there do comparison shopping with the 2001 Audi A6, BMW 530, or Mercedes E320 before deciding on the I30? The I30 sounds real nice considering the price, but those rattles and transmission issues make me wonder if its not worth spending the extra money to get one of the German sedans.
  • Options
    there is no "transmission issues" with the car, the only problem is a control module that is replaced free of charge, it is not even a necessary repair. some people have noticed that the tranny seems to slip between 1st and 2nd gear, and replacing that module has corrected the problem. some people dont notice it.
  • Options
    I have purchased a pair of blue headlights in order to deliver the "look" that authentic HID headlamps provide. The "look" isnt that great when compared to the real thing, however, they distinguish the vehicle from other I30s driving around. I believe my bulbs are rated for 80watts low beam, and 100 watts for the high beam. I have not had any problems so far, and I have had them installed for about 4-6 months now. Please detail what you have experienced (esco2000) with regards to these bulbs in your Infiniti. Thank you...
  • Options
    roxie1roxie1 Member Posts: 4
    First, there are way too many complaints here. I just bought a 2001 I30L Titanium w/sage with Xenon, Htd. seats, Traction, splash guards for under $30K. Nowhere, and I mean nowhere can you get this much car for that $$. My wife has a 2000 TL and yes the car is great, but the I30 seems like much more car to me. The I30 is elegant, luxurious AND SPORTY! Not many cars offer all of that. Old man's car?? NO WAY. Go get an AVALON or a 300M for that. The I30 rights tight, yes, making it an even compromise between Lexus (too quiet) and German (too hard). For under 30K, it is the best of everything in my opinion. Anyone considering one should definitely buy it, while everyone complaining should just get the problems fixed or get rid of it. Life is too short and this car is too much car to continue belly aching.
  • Options
    Basically there are 2 different types of blue lights, that i know of anyway. There are the cool blue headlights, that you can get at any auto store..(advanced auto, autozone...etc.) those are around $20.00 for a set, the reason why they are cheaper is because you can't really tell they are blue, you can just barely see a very very slight tint of blue. These are not the ones I am referring to, I have a pair of them in my SUV, (never had a problem in 2years). The ones i am referring to (which if you ordered yours are probably the same ones i have in my i30)are about $25.00 a bulb, they are visibly blue. You can only get these at like a car audio, or car sounds and security...somewhere where they specialize in car accessories.....or a auto catalog. Anyway I purchased a pair, and had them professionally installed. About a month later the passenger side headlight went out, so i went back to the auto accessory store and they replaced the bulb..($10.00 charge of course, no warranties on bulbs) and about 2 days later it went out again. I really didn't know what to do. It just so happens that i went to a different auto accessory store where i had previously had my stereo system installed at, and asked the guy could it be possible that my stereo system was affecting my lights (because they tend to dim a little everytime the bass hits) he said no, but he knows exactly what the problem is, he also owns a nissan manufactured car. He said he experienced the exact same problem with his Sentra. He then took the blown light bulb out and showed me where the plastic had melted a little (the part where the bulb fits in) he also showed me how thin the wires that run into the socket where, in comparison to the ones he replaced in his car. He said it must just be something the manufacture overlooked or didn't consider...maybe you have a more recent model i30 than i (1997) if so it is possible they have corrected the problem..but if not and your lights do indeed go out, just go to advanced auto or somewhere like that and get some new sockets, you will be able to tell the difference in the wire size. (oh yeah jus because the light goes out don't assume the bulb is blown, just replace the socket first and see... because mine did not blow...now that i think about it the first one probably didn't even blow either.... i don't think i'll be doing business with them anymore). one last thing... try adding blue lights to your fog lights...i had mine installed for me the same time that i had my headlights done......Its a "Thing of Beauty"...I really love that elagant look of luxury....i run my lights day and night...it looks really good...you might also consider side markers...they also give the i30 a elagant look... oh yeah.. and the chrome infiniti name plate....(as you can tell i love my i30). Just a few tips that i like a Whole lot...try em' you'll like them too 100%...if you come up with any tips let me know.....OH Yeah, this is really the last thing...I had my stereo system replaced in car (i know what your thinking BOSE is great system) but one of my speakers where blown and i had a hard time replacing them since bose deals in 1 ohm, so i just replaced the whole system (you can't just put any other brand with the bose system, it won't allow it, so i had to replace everything. Anyway instead of putting a double-din radio back in...i put a regular cd player in where the change tray was...and left the original radio in...just for show so it would not be a empty whole there...but it is the perfect size for a flat 6" tv screen, and thats exactly what i plan to do...the screen itself is only about $400.00 but you have to by an dvd or vcr player which is about another 200-$300 bucks...its worth it though..it also leaves you with the option to add a land nav. system.....cool. That's it, any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Infiniti i30. i hear the i30 has cell phone hook-up capabilities already, what exactlly does this mean?.....does it means all the proper lines are already ran.....does it mean that i won't have to have an antenna added?.....help?
  • Options
    Yes, the bulbs I am using in my car costed me about 65 dollars for the pair. I got them from some website, i think it was www.nextcollection.com When I first installed the bulbs (by the way, my I30 is a 1997), one day's worth of driving had caused one of the bulbs to not function correctly, unless you hit the headlamp cover hard. I thought the bulbs were defective, so i sent them back, and they accidentally sent more powerful bulbs of the same quality (Heliolite?). Anyhow, I dont run my headlamps during the day because I dont want them to be on for hours at a time. Also, during the day, the lamps look like regular halogens. I kept my original foglamps in order to best distinguish the fake HID lamps...BMWs which are equipped with both foglamps AND HIDs show a clear distinction in color, thus further allowing others to know the bulbs are beyond normal. I dont prefer to perform any modifications to my car as I am really not that type of person! I would enjoy to have a body kit, but I am sure nobody manufactures those for an I30 anyhow. When I was in New York City, I purchased a yellow "STILLEN" decal from a small auto accessories shop, and stuck it onto my black car. It looks nice, and people wonder if my I30 is fortified with Stillen products! I would consider larger rims and better tires, but I dont think too seriously into that move. Do you [esco2000] or anyone else have larger rims besides the stock 15" (96-97), 16 or 17" tires?
  • Options
    just because your shiny new car doesnt have any problems yet doesnt mean that nobody with older I30s on this topic is allowed to comment on their vehicle experience. Obviously, not all I30s were built EXACTLY the same, and not all owners view their cars EXACTLY the same. Who said the 3.2TL is not luxurious, elegant or sporty? The I30, according to Motor Trend, does 0-60 in 8.4 seconds, whereas the 3.2 TL does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. Dont tell me thats NOT sporty. Also, only the 3.2 TL offers the manu-matic sport tranny, which is a FIVE speed, not a four speed. And if you were merely referring to the design being sporty, well, thats your opinion. Also, the 3.2TL comes with all the luxury features that the I30 comes with, except the rear sunshade (which I would never find useful, nor would I consider that the one and only feature that makes the 3.2TL NOT luxurious). Also, the 3.2TL offers a far better navigation system than the I30 (a much more useful luxury feature than the rear sunshade). Therefore, I cannot understand how you can destroy the 3.2TL before the I30 on grounds which are irrelevant. The facts clearly show the 3.2TL is more sporty...that does not mean that the I30 is an old man's car. That is merely an opinion of some people. It is also an opinion to believe that the I30 is more elegant, which I could agree to (clock, interior design etc. being more conservative, whilst 3.2TL interior is more "sporty-looking").
  • Options
    hulkster2hulkster2 Member Posts: 15
    Right on roxie1...Life is too short to be crying about your car all day long. I caught myself doing the same thing when I first bought my 2001 Luxury Infiniti. I was nit-picking the car to pieces! It is a solid car for the money and you do get a lot of value. I still have a few gripes like the tranny is not as smooth as it could be (on mine anyway) I think that is where the car loses the race at the line--but then again who's racing! A car that is two seconds faster certainly is not going to make my life more complete! The engine is first rate--put a bit better of a drive train and there would be an improvement. Still it is great and I am happy overall.

As for you mhammy84--take a chill pill. I don't think roxie1 was destroying the TL as you put it. He was merely making a comparison. In his opinion, the I30 is more car for the money. I don't think that is destroying the TL? Roxie1 has a point--if you hate your car that much and can't find a solution to fix it, then dump it and move on. Buy three more TL's if you like.
    Let's keep it civil in here guys!
  • Options
    umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    I wish I had an answer to the question of what to do with the cell phone pre-wiring in the I30 (and Nissan Maxima), because I am also interested in knowing if there is a way I can utilize the wiring for my Motorola StarTac (with some kind of car adapter, I guess) to make it truly hands-free. Can anyone help me (and the others who have posted about this recently) with more information?
    Thanks
    -umpopa
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    Having just compared the TL to the I30 and ordering the I30L [Millenium Jade, nav, xenon, heated seats, traction control] I can say that the I30's nav system is a major factor in its favor. The TL uses ONE DVD for the entire country. Some say this is much more convenient and cheaper since one does not have to purchase additional CDs for differing sections of the country as the I30 requires. HOWEVER, the CDs provide MUCH MORE detail of city streets than the DVD does. Most of us know how to get from city to city, what the DVD excels at, I want to know where "Ruth Lyons Way" is once I get into town and that is where the DVD falls flat and the CD excels. So FOR ME the Infiniti's nav system holds the upper hand. For those who like the DVD system: good luck finding those small streets!
  • Options
    I would like to say that since you folks have the newer cars, you shouldn't really have much to complain about. It is very different to complain about a 97 and to complain about a 00/01. I have small "complaints" about my 00 TL, but I am the same as you folks...just drive the damn car its still new. Nothing major with regards to problems. Sure theres those little things that annoy you, like tranny issues, pulsations, or little rattles. But I dont suffer most of those problems with my TL, and I am sure you folks dont suffer those problems with your new I30. HOWEVER, with my 97 I30, there are problems! No rattles or anything like that, just the damn engine vibration.
  • Options
    sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    I must say the 2000 I30 is great in the cold/wet weather. The heated seats, traction control and the auto climate control work like a charm. The traction control came on this week while attempting to get going on an incline in the rain. Front wheels stopped spinning in an instant as the traction control dash light came on.

Looking forward to the snow and ice to see how the car handles!

Still the best list of standard features and value in its class.

STEVE
  • Options
    roxie1roxie1 Member Posts: 4
    First, hulkster2 - thanks for the defense. I was taken aback by the attack, so I appreciate it. You hit the nail on the head. I was not criticizing the TL, I bought that for my wife (over the Maxima GLE). She absolutely loves it. Back to the I30 - I think most people get buyer's remorse after such a purchase. But the car is awesome. Have you gone back to the dealer for the TCM?? If the tranny bothers you, I hope you do. Then you can really start to enjoy the car.

Now for mhammy84 - your comeback was way out of line. I'm sorry that you do not like your 97 I30. I just got rid of my 97 Maxima (very similar). Mechanically sound, but I could not take the dark blue color. I could never keep it clean (that's why I went with Titanium for the I30 and gold for the TL). I LOVE the TL. It's essentially my wife's car, and I occassionally drive it. It is quick, no doubt. You're right - it is definitely sportier than the I30 in terms of quickness and styling (though too many people say its bland, which I don't see). In my opinion, the I30 is more elegant/classy/conservative, whatever. In any case, I strongly believe that the I30 and TL are the two best cars under $30K. Both are mechanically sound (Consumer reports) and both get high marks in their class by Kiplingers, Motor Trend, etc.
    By the way, I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience with your 97. I do hope you sell it and get what you really want. And believe me, if its the 01 TL, you'll love every minute of it. Good Luck and enjoy (remember life is too short).
  • Options
    robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    With my lease up in the Spring, I wish that the I30L came with a limited slip differential. If it did, I would opt for it over the TL. The I30T is a bit too stiff suspension for me and the cost over the TL becomes even more.
  • Options
    hulkster2hulkster2 Member Posts: 15
    Roxie1--I am still deciding whether I am being nit picky about the transmission or whether there is truly a problem. Overall it is smooth but at times I feel it is jumpy. Our friend Mhammy84 put it best when he said something about transmission pulsations in his lates post. Here is an example: When I am driving behind someone and they slow down a bit I naturally let off the gas. Many times I don't need to even touch the breaks. When I put my foot back on the gas slightly the car has a little spurt or pulsation. I don't think the passangers can feel it but I can as the driver. Also, there are times when I accelerate from a stop and the car winds out before shifting. It will do this from second to third too. Other times it is as though it is cutting short into a gear and I can feel the shift.--kind of abrupt. It's not huge or anything--not like I am bouncing all over the road or something but noticable to me. Maybe it is as good as it gets. Before I go marching into the dealership demanding a new TCM part, I want to make sure it is not just me being over critical. Incidently, I just got over the 1,000 mile break in and am now starting to punch it a little--not to the floor or anything--but the car is fast, maybe not as quick as some but definitely no slouch. I think it is a heavier car and slightly bigger, so that is why it does not feel like instant acceleration. A good guage is to look around you when you accelerate. Nine out of ten the other cars are in the dust and this is without getting on it and mashing the accelerator. Naturally, there is always some little Honda civic zipping around at crazy speeds! Okay, I have bored you to death, so, thanks for your time.

Mhammy84--I hear your frustration. I am assuming you bought your 97 I30 new. You are now barely four years into the car and have some serious mechanical issues. I would be pissed too. These cars are supposed to hold up and yours has not. It may be a bit insensitive on my part to suggest that you just dump the car as I mentioned on my last post. I don't know how much you have into the car and dumping it could be a huge money loss for you. I do hope you find some solutions.
    Incidentally, I did go over to the TL posts just for fun. Sounds like they have some problems too! Not the serious one you are having, but then again they are also talking about 00 and 01 TL models. I read a lot of posts about bad windshield whipers, scratched winshields, strange whining noises from the engine and some rattles in the cabin. I realize there are a lot of people who post to these groups, so one in a hundred have these problems. There is no perfect car, just preference. Maybe in the 50k club we will have the "perfect" car.--doubt it!
  • Options
    my turn to be nit-picky... you had the TL's numbers flip flopped... it is 0-60 in 7.6. by the way i drove the TL and i liked its power much more over the I30. i agree when it is said that the I30 is more classier and the TL sportier... but hey, id take either car. the TL would be my first choice but id be happy with the I30 also.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Why is LSD such a big deal to you? We have a 2000 I30L w/ traction control and it's great in snow/ice. I fully realize what an LSD does, I just don't see why it's a big deal w/traction control. I would think the traction control would defeat the main purpose of the LSD, anyway.
  • Options
    Nice hearing from you. I think that the two systems are exclusive, aren't they? The TC helps when starting out on a slick surface by either braking, or retarding the engine, or a combination (I am talking about TC in general). Isn't the LSD providing power to the other wheel if one drive wheel slips? If you or another person has more info on this I would appreciate a post. Thanks.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    While the TC will stop wheelspin, it won't necessarily re-direct power to the other wheel (whereas the LSD will slow wheelspin by re-directing it). Maybe that's the benefit of LSD, but I don't see how much of a help it would be. We've had our 2000 I30L w/ TC in snow and ice and the TC works great. I definitely do not feel the LSD is necessary for bad weather driving. Maybe that's my point. I just don't see the LSD being very much of an advantage, if at all. I would want it if we didn't have TC to stop/slow wheelspin. With TC, I don't see LSD being very useful or necessary.

I could be wrong, though.
  • Options
    I guess I'll just have to test drive the I30L when we get some snow and see how it does. In order to be objective, I'll try to drive the TL the same day. I keep hearing a rumor that Bobby Rahal is putting in an Acura dealership outside of Harrisburg, PA. If this were true that would be less than an hours drive. The closest Infiniti dealership is closer to two hours away in Allentown, PA or Timonium, MD. Either car should hopefully not have time in the shop for warranty work. My wife has a Max GLE and I like it although it lacks the power of my 1999 SHO (235hp 32 valve engine).
  • Options
    Wow, I am glad to see some action in here after a LONG time.

hulkster: You said that I had posted some complaints about transmission problems with my car, and some other stuff about pulsations. I think you were confusing me with somebody else...as I have never had any tranny problems with my I30. My I30 has some other WEIRD problems, and I dont know what they are since my dealer is not moving fast on solving the problem. Hey, I can be kinda picky about vibrations, but mine are truly serious (not light vibrations, but 4-cylinder vibrations you would never experience from an Infiniti). I think its not so much the car thats pissing me off, but its more the service that should take care of the problems. Sure, its annoying when the problem arises, but the service should be quick and prompt with solving the problem, especially when the problem is so apparent.

roxie1: I dont understand how my "comeback" is out of line? Anyhow, lets put that to rest, and I would like to say that I really did agree with you about the I30 having more class than the TL. And you "silently" agreed with me after I put up my argument about sportiness. You did say that the I30 was more sporty than the TL in your original posting, and in your last posting, you acted as if you had believed what I had argued (again, "silently") after i showed some numbers. If you agree with me on the point that the TL IS in fact sportier in "quickness and styling," then what other aspects were you talking about originally when you stated that the I30 was sportier than the TL? Well, anyway, I am sure you knew what you were talking about...could it have just been a keyboard error on your part?

redskin: well, you can argue about the numbers, and my source was from Yahoo.com. You can check out the page, by merely typing in the vehicle name, and it will allow you to look at performance information. They list 0-60 times for cars from a few different sources like Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, and others. The times reported by each source was different even for the same car. I chose the SAME source for BOTH cars, which was actually Motor Trend magazine, since the other sources didnt really report times for each of the two cars (they would only report on one car, and there was no solid basis for a true comparison that way). However, you can see that the TL consistently beats the I30 0-60, which I must say lends to its "sportiness" over the I30.
  • Options
    the TL in no doubt beats the I30 0-60. but my sources for the 7.6 numbers were Motor Trend(im a subscriber) and "the general" at Ray Laks Acura. We met him(hes a salesman there) at the auto show and were comparing the TL to the Olds Aurora which my dad drove at the time. The Aurora's V8 went 0-60 in 7.8 and the TL in 7.6... a quick car no doubt. I was test driving the TL with my dad in the streets around Ray Laks and i was doing 80 down side streets like it was nothing... if it were up to me, id want my dad to have the TL or the Aurora. The I30 just isnt as fun as those 2 cars.

By the way.... what color is your CL?
  • Options
    Who is "the general?" what is his real name? you seem VERY loyal to the Aurora...i know how you feel though. I am still loyal to my old Diamante. I hope that wasnt my TL that you were test driving! jk. anyhow, the CL is black with black interior. I had the spoiler and sunroof wind-deflector installed, in addition to the mudguards. My second choice would have easily been the silver with black interior. I wasnt too interested in the "pimp" gold color. Imagine if an I30 would be available in "pimp" gold!
  • Options
    i saw one of those when i was at work and thats what made me ask...
  • Options
    some older guy.. i dont remember his name. we test drove a green TL with tan leather. i saw a silver/black TL... nice combo. Yes, i am loyal to the Aurora... i had a lot of my first driving experiences in that car and my dad had two of them in a span of 5 years. i got my first two tickets in that car(1 speeding), my first accident(extremely minor), i got pulled over at Canadian Customs( i think its because i was flying a sabres flag across the bridge during the Coference finals series with toronto), i skipped school a few times and drove around most of the day in that car, sped a lot in it. the car was just a lot of fun, and its something i dont find in the I30. Maybe it just has to be American for me or something.
  • Options
    karkwestkarkwest Member Posts: 3
    I have a '97 I30L coming off lease this month so I have been actively shopping for a new car. My two previous cars were a Lexus ES300 and a Mercedes E300. I recently test drove the 2001 I30L, I30t, Lexus ES300 and GS300, Audi A6 2.7T, MBZ E320, and BMW 530i. Right up front I want to state that the 3 German cars are fabulous. In rank order, my preference is the E320, A6 2.7T and 530i. If money wasn't an issue, I would take any of these 3 ahead of the I30. BUT, money is an issue to me. So, I intend to get another I30L (I don't think the I30t is worth the extra $). I believe it is clearly the best value on the market for a near luxury sedan; the only car that comes close is the Acura TL, but I believe that the Infiniti (and Lexus) service is head and shoulders above Acura. The fact that I can get a free loaner with no hassle every time I take in my I30 is a major convenience. Where else can you get a package that includes good styling, nice interior appointments, an award winning engine, solid reliability and great service for under $30k? As I said above, the Acura TL comes close but I like the I30 better.
  • Options
    When choosing which car is good for you, you must definately look at how good the service that comes with the car is. However, I STRONGLY do not believe that each company's service is a standard throughout the nation. As Karkwest mentioned above, he woudl rather choose the Infiniti over the Acura because he feels the Infiniti service is better AT HIS LOCAL DEALERS. Now, Karkwest, I dont know if you have owned an Acura in the past, and have experienced bad service from the local dealers, but Infiniti was supposed to have the best service nationwide, and right now, i can tell you, after having owned cars from all three luxury divisions (Lexus, infiniti and Acura), my LOCAL Infiniti dealer provides HORRIBLE service. All they can do is provide an oil change, yet they still experience trouble rotating/balancing the tires...oh, and they take your money out of your wallet quite nicely also. My local Acura dealer provides FAR better service than the Infiniti folks. The Lexus dealer is also very nice...but you really dont need anything else besides oil changes/scheduled maintenance done on those cars. Good luck.
  • Options
    You said: "Where else can you get a package that includes good styling, nice interior appointments, an award winning engine, solid reliability and great service for
    under $30k?"

for around $30k, and under $40k, there is also the V6 and V8 Aurora and the V6 and V8 Lincoln LS.
  • Options
    joewillyjoewilly Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 I30 Luxury Edition. I only have 500 miles on it and have had it for 3 weeks. It seems to start up fine when it's cold but after I have driven it and go and start it again within a few minutes or maybe even a few hours, it cranks for about 5 seconds before it fires up! Anybody out there have similar problems? I have been holding off calling the dealer thinking it may be still breaking in and the motor is still a little tight! All I know is that my Honda still fires up right away no matter what and it has the original starter and 167,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    Yes, I too experience the starting difficulty after leaving the car for a few mins, or after a few hours. However, as you stated, it does fire up immediately when it is completely cold. I dont know why this happens, yet I have heard many other complaints about this with the I30s and Maximas, starting from year 1995 (when the VQ30DE began being used in the maximas/i30s). By the way, my I30 is a '97.
  • Options
    sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    My 2000 I30 starts in 1-2 sec. hot or cold. If the delay in starting continues, have the dealer take a look. Also, try a different gas station if you have been using the same one.
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    Joe

I had the same condition as you described with my 2000 Maxima. It would always start cold but if you tried to restart after 10 min. - 1 1/2 hours it would crank a bit before starting. My Maxima now has 6,000 miles and I no longer notice this problem. Give it some time to break in.

George
  • Options
    jma6jma6 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody tell me if there is an authentic Infiniti analog clock update kit ever existed for the 99 I30s?

I am getting tired of looking at the factory digital clock in my I30.

Jeff
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    The starting problem could be fuel related - maybe a leaking injector(s) so the the car is "flooded" when it tries to start, and the fuel is not evaporated, perhaps fooling some sensors. This used to be common way back when cars had carburetors.
  • Options
    karkwestkarkwest Member Posts: 3
    mhammy84, I agree with you; the service experience is based on your local dealership's attitude and competence. I have had a very good experience with the local Infiniti dealer in terms of responsiveness and cost. I've also had a great experience with the local Lexus dealer; my previous car was a Lexus and my wife's current car is a Lexus. As far as I'm concerned, Lexus sets the standard but Infiniti is not too far behind.
    redskin024, I haven't driven the Aurora so I can't comment on that car. I have driven the LS, both the V6 and V8. I liked the LS, particularly the V8. I actively considered getting the LS but there are 3 reasons I like the I30 better: 1) on a comparably equipped basis, the I30 is less expensive; 2) I found the fit and finish of the LS to be inferior to that of the I30; 3) the service attitude and competence level of the people with whom I came in contact at the Infiniti dealer were light years ahead of those at the Lincoln dealership. As mhammy84 points out, the service experience may vary from dealer to dealer. However, the difference in price and build quality appear to be more of a constant. The I30 is the winner for me in this comparison test.
  • Options
    cichy24cichy24 Member Posts: 1
    the price of the vechile and what it should be selling for. The person is asking $13,995 and is firm. The car has 42,000 miles on it, and is a 1996 model. PLEASE Advice is this is a good price. I'm going take a look at the car tomorrow.

Thanks Much
  • Options
    pgoldstonpgoldston Member Posts: 8
    A quick check here at Edmunds under the used car area for a 96 Infiniti I30t put the price about right, BUT... look in the newspaper for other 96 I30's saling in your area and decided for yourself if this is a good price for YOU. You need to make the decision of value for yourself.

Ask yourself this question: I'm I comfortable paying this price? Does this price represent a value to you? Each and everyone of us how different value "meters" inside them selves. What is yours telling you? If the car checks out mechanical and this price is within your means, then buy it and enjoy it.

Let us know the outcome and best of luck.

Philip
  • Options
    jmatas76jmatas76 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I'm new to the group (2000 I30t, 8K), but I've tried to get caught up on the last fourn months of messages.
    I've had a similar issue with the starter. It's happened about 10 times in six months, so it's hardly become a problem yet. If anyone has any dealer comments on this, I'd like to hear them.
  • Options
    I will be visiting my dealership soon, probably this Friday. I may bring up the starting issue with them, but I am not really worried about it since I hear a lot of people experiencing this for the last four years with the I30.
  • Options
    tholdentholden Member Posts: 2
    If you are looking for an Infiniti vehicle stay away from Crest Infiniti in Plano. I tried my first lease through them and they were very crooked and lied/mislead me on several occasions. They held back and lied about information regarding some of the lease finance amounts. I found out after-the-fact that they lied about the amounts in order to inflate the cost of the vehicle through non-disclosed hidden charges and charges for service contracts that I did not ask for but were supposed to be included at no charge. Furthermore, they told me that by law they did not have to give me the information in a lease. I had to go straight to the owner of the dealership to find out the answers and when I did I discovered that they had lied. Several people lied to me including the sales manager and the finance person so it was not just one person.

Furthermore, I asked for one model of a vehicle, test drove one, and since I was looking for a different color I was sold a different vehicle than I test drove. The external differences between the model I test drove and the model I purchased were slight so I did not notice until I got home that they had sold me a different model of the same vehicle. Even the finance papers did not note the changed model. I did not expect them to make this mistake since I brought in the price and option details for the exact model I was looking for. I was unaware at the time how to tell the difference between the two models and it was so late by the time I was done that I did not even notice that they had switched them until I got home and looked at the vehicle sticker which had been placed in the glove box.

From the sales manager to the finance person to the owner, Crest Infiniti seemed only interested in making the sale with no concern for honesty or integrity. Even the owner sounded more angry than apologetic when I finally heard back from him. All I was asking was what went into the total that I financed for the vehicle and it took two weeks and talking to everyone to finally get an answer from him. He simply gave me the information but then offered no compensation for the fact that the monthly payments were now already inflated from the hidden charges.

Spread the news. Others may have better experiences if they don't ask questions and just accept whatever they are told or if they don't care about the details but for those of us who do want to be treated honestly and not deceived and prefer a dealership that cares about its reputation, stay away from Crest Infiniti of Plano.

Also note, the dealership also sells Cadillac, Isuzu, and Oldsmobile. The buying experience could be the same with those makes as well since the owner and finance person would be the same but I cannot say for sure since I dealt with a different sales department.
  • Options
    wraith5wraith5 Member Posts: 3
    I have just hit 500 miles on my 2001 I30L (Midnight Blue / Sage) and I love this car! For the record, I also test drove the TL (felt cramped and uncomfortable to me, but really performed!!) the Diamante (cheaper price didn't make up for cheaper quality, didn't want to buy Mitsu), and the Maxima GLE (new styling didn't sit especially well with me, interior or exterior, and the added features of the Infinity were worth the $$$). I thought briefly about the ES300, but, to be 100% honest, I couldn't bring myself to buy a $35K car that has the same door handles as the Camry (I know - I should be in therapy!!). My former ride was a '95 GLE that I really loved.

A few things I wanted to share with "the group" -

1) I have noticed on two occasions that the car had trouble starting. I believe that both times the car was "warm," as previous folks mentioned. Any time I've started it cold (I'm in Chicago, so I mean *cold*), it's been no problem. I'm hoping the problem goes away with time, and I'm not very concerned at this point.

2) I opted for the Xenon headlights, and my car was the *only* luxury model with the Xenon available (luckily, I liked the color). The dealership told me they aren't making any L's with the Xenon any more at all, because they weren't moving - has anyone else heard this?

3) I bought my car at Motor Werks in Barrington, IL, and they were a dream to deal with from beginning to end - I highly recommend them. I dealt with Lana (who is now on maternity leave) and Chris, the Infinity Sales Manager. They met Edmunds FMV with no "haggling" at all (I30L with heated seats, Xenon, Traction and Mud guards) - I told them what I wanted to pay, and two minutes later they said OK. (If I didn't feel it was a fair price to begin with, I'd be sure I paid too much because they were so willing!). If you are in Chicago, it's worth a trip to Motor Werks (they are known for their service, too - I can even get my car washed any Saturday afternoon, if I want).

If you are reading these postings looking for reasons to buy this car, there are plenty.

Happy Driving, everyone!
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    The hard starting problem may be attributed to flooding. I had the same problem on my '94 Maxima. At the time the dealer told me that the engine was prone to flooding if it was run for a short time (like just backing out of the garage) and then turned off and left for a while. I subsequently made it a habit to run the engine for a few minutes before turning off, and I never had the problem again. I used the same "technique" with my '97 Maxima.
    I'd be surprised if this same problem is still around, but you never know.