Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• thangtnthangtn Member Posts: 2
    We visited an Acura dealer in Phoenix to look at a MDX. We ended up test-drive a RL 2000 and TL 2001 model as well. It looks like we could make a deal out of the RL for about 36K, but the dealer said we probably have to pay near MSRP on the TL, which is still around 28K or so.

I actually like the TL's sporty performance and price. My wife, on the other hand, likes the RL's bigger cabin. In my opinion, the TL cabin is more than sufficient and has a zippier 225-hp engine.

Since we are Acura novices, could you folks help convince me why I should pay another 8K (or 12K for a 2001) more for a RL? (besides my wife says so.. :-)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    this does not answer your question, but I do find it amazing that Acura would first put a higher HP engine (225 HP) in the smaller TL, while the bigger, heavier (and more luxurious) RL languishes with a 210 HP engine. Logic (my logic, that is) says to first raise the HP on your flagship, say to 275-300, and then raise the HP in the smaller vehicles. Just my 2 cents.
  • sharkwalksharkwalk Member Posts: 16
    The old big horspeower dilemma. I would recommend that you return to the dealership and test drive the RL and TL again. Focus on "peppiness" but eliminate distractions. The TL's transmission is not as smooth as the RL: jerkiness gives an impression of power. The TL is not as well insulated as the RL: a louder engine seems more powerful.

i would guess that the TL and RL get to 60 in the same time. Edmunds has the 2000 RL at 60 in 7.5 seconds. The pre-1999 RL was 9.0 seconds. The TL just seems quicker because it is rougher. The RL delivers more torque at lower RPMs than the TL which is more useful for acceleration. The RL has many sound dampening devices which make you feel as if the car is not working. however, it really does work.

Finally, if you want a sport shift, try shifting the RL as a manual. The owner's manual says that you can and I have done it many times since my recent purchase. You will get to 60 even faster.

Thus, if you want the same level of acceleration and performance in a refined package, buy the RL. Otherwise, save the money and buy a TL.

Also, I believe the RL has at least two more coats of paint on it than the TL.
    We ahve owned the RL for about a week and half today. The experience has been very rewarding. My wife is falling in love with the car (she drives a Lecus RX300). I was able to transport 3 people and myself to Concord, NH in comfort, something impossible in my Legend coupe.

The car is quicker than many realize. Since it is so quiet, you do not get the sense that the engine moves you. In general, it is decently quick and if you stomp on the accelerator, you push the RPMs to 4000 in every gear.

i have been trying to shift like a manual. My perception is that the car becomes a tad quicker as you push through the gears at top torque for a longer period. You have to be careful since you get engine noise, but it is not as noisy as you would expect. The result is the potential to redline the engine. The performance is very good for a sedan, but I will not give up the coupe.

My wife used the car one night and got lost. The Nav system brought her straight to the highway. She claims it is worth every penny.

Overall, I am very pleased that me, honda guy, stuck with the flagship car. My fifth Honda is making me smile when I look at it and when I drive it. One person who rode with me to NH scolded me for driving the car like the Legend when it is a luxury sedan. It is a tribute to the changes which Acura made to the performance that I can drive the car Like the Legend.

Lastly, on the RL vs TL decision, My previous post reflects where I came out in the decision to buy an RL. My wife and I like the Mercedes styling of the RL. The front end of the TL is not as impressive since it is a copy of the Nissan nose. I'd rather copy Mercedes. Also, chekc Edmunds ratings on the 2000 TL. 0 to 60 in 7.7 seconds. The RL proves that greater torque at lower RPMS is more important than higher total horsepower at higher RPMs.
  • shazdeshazde Member Posts: 3
    Picked up a 2000 3.5 RL for $32,700. I wanted the silver one and had to paid $32,700, or otherwise, the dealership was selling gold ones for $30,500!! WOW!!. non-navis of course... price included floor mats, wheel locks, extra 6-cd case, mud guards, ski bag, first two oil changes, 2 full tanks of gas (1 when you come for oil change).
  • carsgobrooomcarsgobrooom Member Posts: 1
    Ref msg #603 & #604 Seeking information on radio
    reception problem in 00 RL. Getting HISSSSSing on
    fm reception...How to fix/solve when antenna is in
    windsheild??
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Like some of you, I was sure the rl was 'much' larger inside than the tl. But after I compared the numbers (headroom, legroom, etc.) and noticed how very similar they are, I went back to the dealer and asked one of the salesmen who always seems to me to actually know what he's talking about.

He said the difference is primarily an illusion. The rl windshield is more vertical, taking the A pillar further out in front of you and making it seem more spacious, the same with many of the other dimensions. The tl, otoh, is more 'sleek' (slanted), you sit lower, etc and it seems more compact as a result.

Another visual oddity that makes sense if you think of it is that the same car will seem larger if you change the interior from a darker color (black) to lighter (parchment).

Interesting.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • zoerdogzoerdog Member Posts: 1
    What dealership is selling the 00 RL for this price?
  • shazdeshazde Member Posts: 3
    I bought mine @ Stevens Creek Acura in N. California. They have 1 black with parchment and a couple of gold ones left. I think they have 1 firepepper red and one green one available also. The $30,500 figure I threw out turned out to be a misprint in the Friday San Jose Mercury Ad. Nevertheless, I got my Silver one for $32.7K including mats, mudguards, wheel locks, full tank of gas, free oil change
  • krv03krv03 Member Posts: 3
    I realize you folks in this conference know all the details of the RL -- The post was formatted in this way so that it could be posted to several other conferences.
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    TL is tested at 6.7 to 7.2 !! RL is 8.0. Ofcourse person wanting an RL won't mind 1 second less for 0-60.
  • rumorrumor Member Posts: 13
    WOW, you did your homework! I think many of us
    fellow Acura owners feel the same as you do. And
    I am willing to bet all of us fellow Acura owners
    will tell you that the RL is worth every penny
    and will remain trouble free.
    With the prices being quoted on the thread anyone considering a FWD sedan, or a sedan would
    be crazy not to take a serious look at this car!
    Oh yeah, those HIDS are awesome aren't they. Wait til you get behind the wheel of another car
    without them! It will drive you "nuts"
  • dsudsudsudsu Member Posts: 3
    Several postings ago I saw someone mentioned that he did not like the "swing/throw" motion when his 3.5RL '00 was connering or curving. I too have the same experience! Before I switched to this new 3.5RL '00 I was driving the '90 Legend and it is a lot more stable while curving/cornering. Is this because the suspension on RL is a lot softer than Legend? Is the suspension on RL adjustable? Will changing tires/shocks fix this problem? How do you RL owners feel about this safety problem?
    Thanks!
    I've been trying to see the red RL but none have been available at the local dealer. Is it exactly the same as the firepepper red used on the TL. Or?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    I have to confess I've been a car enthusiast for a long time (currently have a 3 ser. BMW). We recently got an Acura MDX and am so impressed that I'm thinking RL. Would someone comment on whether 2000 RLs w/Nav would still be available and what price should be paid? Should I wait instead for 2001 (any changes you know about)? I live in the SF Bay Area.
  • bearbullbearbull Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone help me out?

I am looking at either buying or leasing a
    new 2000 Acura 3.5 RL with Navi and I have several questions.

First, given that it is a 2000 model, is there
    greater merit from a financial stand-point to a
    lease vs buy? Second, I can buy the car with zero
    down at an APR of between 7.5 to 7.75% over 5
    years. If I decide to lease the car instead, should
    I be looking at money factor that equates to the
    APR that I would pay if I were buying the car? In
    other words as a smart shopper should the money
    factor on the lease equate to say 7.75 divided by
    24? If not, what would be the likely money factor
    that I should pay on such a lease?

I am aware of the pros and cons of leasing vs
    buying.

I have excellent credit and the cost of the car
    that I have negotiated is about $35000.
    bpatron, thanks for the tip. I'll talk to my dealer about it ... :)
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    What is best for you really depends on a lot of factors. There are worksheets at the Motley Fool site to help you with this.

The Money Factor is the Interest Rate / 2400. If you have good credit, it should be around 0.003 (7.2%)or so. If the maker subsidizes the lease, it can go to .002 or even lower. Be careful about this, a high money factor is a way for the dealer to stick it to you even after you settle on a good price for the car.

DO NOT pay the "Acquisition" or "Disposition" fees. These are totally arbitrary fees that are cooked up by the dealers and banks to gouge you. I have leased several times, and these fees dissappear quickly as you head for the door. My Lexus dealer even OFFERED to drop them as an inducement to buy. The same for "Doc Fees" and even "Messenger Fees". The dealers make profit on the sales to cover these expenses, yes?

Be very careful of what is included in the "NET CAP COST" - the final price you agree to pay. This is what is financed, and you pay interest on ALL of this. This should be ONLY the car, and NO fees or other charges of any kind rolled in, or you will pay triple for them at the end of the lease. I prefer to lease with $0 down, $0 out of pocket out the door except for the DMV fees. It is better to pay a higher car payment at 8%, and use the "down payment" (CAP reduction) money to pay off 18% credit cards, yes?

One more item - I keep my cars immaculate, and sell them privately a few months before the end of the lease. Because of their prime condition, I usually MAKE money at the end, enough for the down payment or some custom wheels on the next one - as much as $2500. Take great care of your car and use Zaino to protect the inside and out and you can do this too.

Good Luck!
    Acura is presently providing a $3,000 cash incentive for RLs. In the Northeast, dealers have plenty of stock. My target price was $36,200 for an RL w/NAV. I got one for $36,700 with mats, wheel lockx, mud guards and delivery included. This was two to three weeks ago.

Good luck. The RL will have more room and very subtle handling characteristics.
  • theyus38theyus38 Member Posts: 3
    Good research! Do you agree with post #117 and #118?
    Would appreciate your comments since I'm also looking at a new 2000 RL to purchase
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    Acura used to throw $1000 on a deal to keep you with Acura. Are they still doing that? I have also been shopping for carry-over 2000's. Some dealers are moving them others play dumb. I guess patience is a virtue. I would guess that by the end of the month they will be ready to deal.
    Automophile, thanks for the informative response.

I just bought a 2000 3.5 RL with navi for $35100, excluding ttl. I have not driven it a whole lot but so far I am very pleased with it and also feel that I got a great deal on the car. I have been in the market for this car for close to 6 months and am glad that I waited.

Thanks to all who have answered my various questions over the past few months.
  • need4spdneed4spd Member Posts: 92
    I may be asking the wrong audience, but did those of you who bought an RL test drive anything else first, like a 528i or E320? If so, how do you think the ride and handling compared? Does the RL really sway too much? When you replace the sway bars with aftermarket to "cure" this, does the ride suffer materially? A lot of a car's handling and ride characteristics have to do with the tires. The BMW and MBZ come with fairly "sporty" tires. What is the RL equipped with? If the RL is not up to the other two in terms of handling, maybe a tire switch would do the trick and you'd still be paying thousands less.
    My quest for a new car has been about 6 months in duration. I presently own a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo which I will be selling.

I test drove the Lexus LS 400, Infiniti Q45, Mercedes E320 and BMW 528i. IMO, I would rate the LS 400 the best of the lot; I did not care for the E320 - and I have owned two Mercedes over the past few years. The BMW was excellent -superb handling but a little too small in terms of passenger room - also a bit spartan. The Q45 some how did not seem to appeal to us after driving it - can't put my finger on what it was the issue that bothered us. What the Acura lacks is the power that some of these other cars have - but it is not a factor for me because the appeal in being able to go from 0-60 in a second or two faster is hardly a factor for me - perhaps it was when I was 20 years younger:) It has more than sufficient acceleration for my purpose.

The factors that I was looking for were reliability, value, comfort and handling. Other than the handling which certainly was not quite up to the superb standard of some of the others, but not inadequate by any means, the Acura was at least as good if not better than some of the others. As far as value is concerned the Acura won hands down! The Lexus was the only other car that I would have considered - but it would have cost me $20K more than I paid for it and there was not that much of extra value to warrant that difference.

I have never owned an Acura before - and I hope a year or two down the line I will feel as positively as I do now.

A final comment - for some one who is seeking to own an "in" type of car, the Acura does not fit the bill. It is not a factor for me.
    bearbull -
    Congratulations on your new RL. I am really leaning that way myself because it is such a great value.

If you don't mind my asking - what was the residual and Money Factor they gave you for the lease?
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Just replaced my stock Michelin MXV Energy tires with Yokohama AVS db. I feel the Michelins provide a more comfortable ride, but the AVS is quieter across all road surfaces. (kept tire dimensions the same for both).

Handling is much better with the AVS. No tire squeal around corners even when pushed hard (this is after gently breaking in the tires for 100 miles).
  • gusayergusayer Member Posts: 4
    In my new 2000 RL, I get break-up and crackling in low frequency radio stations 89.3 and 89.9 - much worse than with other vehicles we own, Dealer says this happens with "weak" radio stations and would be "prohibitively expensive" to improve.
    Has anyone managed to solve this problem or get any feedback from Honda?
    I bought the car as opposed to leasing it. They were quoting a money factor of 0.00399 with a residual of 53% on a 3 year lease. I thought that the money factor was excessive.

I financed it with zero down for 5 years at a rate of 7.5% through the dealer after I told them that I could get that rate from outside sources.
    1. gusayer, I think I am the first one to point out the lousy FM reception problem months ago. automophile mentioned to me there could be some bad cable or loose connection in the wire. I did bring my car back to the dealer and got the same "excuses" like the one you are getting (weak signal, power pole interference, high building, tall trees, ...etc.) I think that's totally bullsh*t! How come other cars, less expensive cars don't have this problem?! I am very disappointed and unsatisfied with the way they deal with this situation.

2. need4spd, I do think RL sway too much! I don't drive race car but I still think the handling of RL is worse, not just compared to other competitors but to it's own predecessor "Legned". There is a good tip from bpatron on #127, #120 on fixing this problem.
    You did good! .0039MF is quite high, and you obviously have good credit because you could get such a low interest rate.
  • thegapperthegapper Member Posts: 4
    just signed the deal 2000 rl silver for 33,000 will be picking up on sat.acura of bedford hills has 3 more left @ this price. traded in my 1997 cl for 13000
    Great work Gapper for getting the RL at $33k. Any tricks you want to share with the rest of us? I am having a hard time getting dealers beyond $34.4 (dealer - incentive). thanks
    GREAT PRICES AT BOTH ACURA OF WESTCHESTER @ ACURA OF BEDFORD HILLS CHOSE THE LATTER FOR SILVER ONLY
    HIGHEST PRICE IN BOTH DEALERS WAS 33750. NO MATS MUDGUARDS OR LOCKS FOR MY PRICE 33000. THEY BOTH HAVE GOLD ONES FOR EVEN LESS!!!
    I KNOW ACURA HAS 3000 REBATE TO DEALERS ON2000 RL MUST BE IN STOCK AT DEALER THEY ALLREADY RECIEVED THE MONEY SO ITS BURNED
  • jordekiddjordekidd Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone no what is the best deal you can get on a 2001. I am being told 38,500 w/o Nav., in Minnesota. Is this the best I can get? Would like to lease and I want to get the best price. Thanks
  • travisgreggtravisgregg Member Posts: 9
    I have noticed a vibration/shuddering at a about 1800 rpms, 40 mile per hour while under a light load, like going up a small hill. Its as though the transmission is in between shifts. If i push doen on the pedal a shift occurs and all is well. Its hard to replicate all of the conditions but it has happened several times. Even passengers in the rear seat can feel it when it happens. The dealer has suggested it may be related to a tourque converter. My RL is a 2000 w/o nav with 500 miles. Love the car but do think there is something going on. Does this sound at all familiar and any thoughts. I hope to bring it in next week to the dealer.
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    http://biz.yahoo.com/n/h/hmc.html

or search on prnewwire.com for honda
    I have not experienced your issue, although I am not surprised. For best performance , you would want to keep the RPMs up in the mid-2000s. You can do that by shifting the automatic like a standard. You avoid any unresponsiveness or strangeness as the transmission searches for your intent while struggling under a changing load.

The owner's manual claims that you can shift the transmission as if it were a standard. I have been doing so on and off since I got my car 1700 miles ago. You have to be careful of two concerns. first, the engine is very quiet. Thus, you must remember that you should be shifting. Second, it is only a four speed and you must avoid neutral with your foot on the gas.

As far as the radio goes, I have not had any reception problems.
  • circuitboycircuitboy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 RL w/o nav for $32,595. The best price I've ever seen. David McDavid Acura in Plano Texas. Could not pass this one up. Very Impressed with the car.
    Bearbull, I have owned a number of Acuras/Hondas. They always have a high mileage suggestion for oil changes. However, I have never heard of a dealer that said those were ok. They usually want you coming in as often as possible to try and sell you other stuff.

I generally go between 3500 and 5000 miles depending on what kind of driving we have been doing. Oil changes are cheap maintenance and the lifeblood of an engine, better safe than sorry. Lately I have been using Castrol Syntec blend. I may go full synthetic with my new RL.

You also really can't compare it to a turbo, which can really have oil related problems that one needs to be careful about.

You can have the oil change done anywhere and it will not affect your warranty.
  • travisgreggtravisgregg Member Posts: 9
    Is it true that the rebate has been raised from 3000 to $5000 as of 12/1. I closed on mine on Nov 30th and can't believe I may have cost myself 2k for 2 days of ownership?
    It is true, Travis. However, it wasn't posted on Edmunds until about the 11th. I picked up my Ruby Red RL Sat for $33,000 with mats, muds, pin stripe and cargo net at Jay Wolfe in KC. They have a few 2000's left so hurry in anyone else...
    phil mason, I've been interested in the RL in red for some time but have had a hard time finding anything more than the paint chip -- can you describe the red? Is it like the firepepper red that is on the TL? Or....?

Thanks.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • alexalee1alexalee1 Member Posts: 35
    I am surprised nobody has mentioned the article from car point that Acura will unveil THREE new car at the NAIAS (next two weeks).

While previous reports showed sketches of the TL-S, RS-X (nee next Integra) and the X concept vehicles (SUV type), the car point site mentioned that the 2002 RL will be equipped with a more powerful engine. Whether this is accurate news, and whether the RL will be all new remain to be seen.

If it's all new, please, please Acura, make it with a V8 and AWD. And please don't make it ugly like the nexus LS 430 or Infiniti new Q 45.

Here is the link:

http://carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2001/default.asp?content=preview
  • 1964519645 Member Posts: 8
    alexalee1, I would say that the article you read has some truth to it. The Aura dealers in the Northeast are not taking any new orders for the 2001's. I was told that they will be using their allocations and waiting for the new RL that is to be here mid year. I also learned that the dealers already have color charts for the 2002 RL
    19645: Thanks for the confirmation. I speculate that it will be a leap in terms of features, design, etc. from the current model. And, following the TL price, it will be value priced as well. That's why we have a $ 5000 rebates for the current 2000 RL.

As the previous press release said, the 2002 RL will use the GM OnStar.

I am amazed that nothing is leaked yet. I am willing to bet that it will still be FWD with V6.
    HAD THE 3.5 FOR 2 WEEKS NOW. DROVE IN SNOW, RAIN @ DRY.PAID 33000
    FOR SILVER. WORTH EVERY PENNY. CAN ZAINO BE APPLIED IN WINTER.THE GAPPER
    I agree it probably is a V6 with the FWD....The two dealers that I spoke with are afraid that it will become RWD since the perception is that it would be very poor in the snow. The dealers are anticipating that the price will be in the $50,000 range. I wanted to buy a 2001 RL but do not want to do anything until the prices are confirmed on the 2002 RL. I would hate to spend the money on a 2001 RL and have Acura price the 2002 RL the same way they priced the 1999 TL (which was less that the 1998 TL)
    Hopefully there will be some good rebates on the 2001's. January 7th will hopefully tell the story. Do you own on RL now?
    No, I don't own an RL yet. I have been waiting for this new RL since around August 1999. It was rumored to be unveiled at the Paris auto show that year (by AutoWeek, nonetheless).

I have a TL for my wife. At the time we bought it (in August 1999), I was considering the RL, because I thought it was a better deal (MSRP for TL, invoice for RL, the difference at the time was around $ 10,000, plus the RL is still made in Japan).

I _thought_ I should be able to upgrade my current car (Acura Integra GS-R that's been with me since college) to an LS 430 type car this year. But, the current Nasdaq downturn, and the uncertain economy make me think that it's wise to wait. There will be some good deal, the dealer won't be so greedy, etc. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking. When times are not so rosy, people will defer car purchase first than home purchase, as we witness in the Bay Area house prices which still going up.

As it is, new model or not, the current RL with $ 5000 rebates still make it a good deal. And, when the new RL come up, the 2001 model will hopefully be discounted some more.

BTW, this spelling check software UI is a pain. I only want to check one spelling (nonetheless), and I have to ignore several good words (ie. RL, Paris, etc.).

And, posting, if you wait for a while, it forced you to logout, and login again. Good thing I copied my post to the clipboard first at the first sign of trouble.
    I have been waiting a while as well,at least since 1999. You are not alone I am currently driving around in an 88 accord with 230K on it. It's old but still drives fine. I'll be waiting to see if the 2001 RL gets discounted

I agree the spell check is a pain