Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Acuralady:

I guess it's already too late, but my advice would be to wait for the '06 rather than getting an '05 now. The '05 was the first year of the new RL production, and from the boards here, there have been plenty of problems, mainly (but not only) electronics glitches. Consumer Reports magazine has done an analysis of their reliability data and found that reliability of cars increases markedly after the first year of production, on into the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., as problems are corrected.

Also, I don't think you will have to pay $5,000 more for an '06. The RL has not been selling well, compared to the other luxury performance vehicles. And I imagine after a couple of months, the '06s will be selling at a tremendous discount (as were the '05s earlier in the year).

About the extended warranty, remember that you can shop around for the best price, just as you shop for the car itself. You don't have to buy the warranty from the dealer you bought the car from. That said, extended warranties are usually not worth it, especially for Japanese cars. I've never heard of getting a refund if you don't use it; that's like getting your insurance premium returned if you don't put in a claim. How can they make any money that way?
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    "have been plenty of problems, mainly (but not only) electronics glitches."

This is not consistent at all with my one complete year of RL experience nor reflective of the many posts by actual RL owners/drivers here and at other RL forums.

Most of the electronic discussion focuses on a topics related to XM receivers which are not an Acura product and the issues have been minor in nature, i.e. XM radio reception is fully functional and of excellent quality sound. Navtraffic though is still going through a beta test IMO.
  • 18pctgray18pctgray Member Posts: 6
    Bartalk,

I bought my RL in April and like most RL owners, have had no serious issues. I took the car in for its first oil change and had the dealer update my XM radio. The only problem was that it took 15 seconds to show the name of the new song. If I didn't know it was an official service bulletin issue I probably would have let it go. Now the radio changes information on the first beat of the new song. In my last car the radio didn't display the name of any songs so this is a major improvement either way.

Regarding price, the retail for 2006 will probably remain the same and will only be slightly discounted for the first few months. Compared to a 20% discount off retail for the 2005, it makes all the sense in the world to take the '05. Plus, who knows what kinks will be introduced in the first few months of the new model year. At this rate Acuralady will be having this same discussion next year at this time.

Finally, it has been a standard policy to refund part or all of an unused extended warranty. You ask, "How can they may any money?" Let's try this. Give me $1,800 while your car is under the original four year warranty. If you sell the car in three years I'll refund 100% of your money. I'll have made an easy 18%+ in interest on your money.

Dave :)
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Congratulations. You made the right decision...I would not buy the extended warranty. There are a few options to consider. The custom wood steering wheel and shift knob. also don't forget the truck tray, winter mats, and color coded mud guards. Good Luck. JJ
    (The winter mats may not seem necessary in sunny So.Cal but take 'em anyway...they match the interior and are great in wet weather as well.)
  • acuraladyacuralady Member Posts: 27
    Well, I just bought the 05 Acura. It was manufactured in June 2005. I have not taken delivery. They will be putting on the wood steering wheel, shift knob, deck lid spoiler, and finishing touch tomorrow. I also have wheel locks, mud guard, and the trunk tray. I will think about the winter mats, may purchase them later.

When I got to finance, he said that the fully refundable warrantee may be about $495.00 more. I think they are just trying to get more money out of me. He will let me know tomorrow. If he tries to charge more, I will not buy the warrantee. I have shopped around, but no one else sells 8 year 120k warrantee. I still think it is way to expensive.

There is a small scratch in the back of the car. The salesman said that they will buff it out during detail and finishing touch. I hope it comes out. He said if I was not satisfied, then don't take delivery of the car. He said the contract is not good until you drive the car off the lot. I am nervous, because I did sign the contract. I wrote in full refund in the "No cooling off" section. I don't think it would be binding, since it is handwritten.
    Bartalk3m

You might be right about the price of the 2006. In a few months they may have specials. I am not going to look back. I have the 2005 now. I also read the same article in Consumer reports

I have shopped around. My credit union offered 7 year/ 100K for $980 with a $100 deductible. Do you think I should take that one instead. I will probably hit 100K right about 7 years. I liked the extra 20K and 1 year the dealer offered as usually cars have major issues right after 100K. :confuse: I normally don't get extended warrantees, but since this is the first model out, and it has so many computers, etc. . I thought I would this time. It probably will be a waste of money, especially if they don't offer a refund. I agree, why would they offer a refund?
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Acuras are very reliable, but, am I imagining this, I seem to recall that early on after the release of the RL, there were many people citing problems with the keyless entry, dead batteries, people inadvertently leaving the ignition on, not knowing how to turn it off, etc., etc. That's what I was referring to above when I suggested that the '06 may correct these glitches. Anyway, acuralady, congrats and good luck. They are beautiful automobiles.
  • diesel3diesel3 Member Posts: 18
    i love the RL and i want to get it. Dealer in NY, offered me for a 39month lease, 15k, 2500 out of pocket which includes taxes,1st month, etc for 540 a month. He says the msrp is 42,000 and he cant go any lower. The dealer needs to know by tuesday if i am going to get it. Can i do better or am i being greedy?
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    You made the right decision...I would not buy the extended warranty.

I rarely disagree with you, but I do here. My 99 RL was very reliable, but, I got my money's worth from my extended warranty. The following were replaced under my extended warranty - radio, $500; auto dim mirror, $500, very squeaky console, $450, navi, $500, and a couple of other more minor items that I don't recall at the moment - all not counting labor. The 05 RL has enough more gadgets, many of which will be expensive to repair or replace, that I would definitely recommend the extended warranty.
    after reading your post...I might be persuaded to consider a coin flip. :)
    (the purchase price helps in the bottom line consideration.)
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    (the purchase price helps in the bottom line consideration.)

As does the length of time you plan to keep it, of course. I tend to keep my cars for six or seven years so an extended warranty makes more sense for me.
    Nebraska Guy
    At this point in time I haven't decided how long I will keep the RL but I'd be inclined to say if I do decide to keep the car and did flip that coin it would be heads YOU win, tails I lose. :P Do you know the cutoff date to purchase an RL extended warranty? I understand AAA offers extended warranties also...maybe I should check with them as well.
    JJ
    ( PS. The Wisconsin Badgers pulled off an incredible last minute win today in Minnesota!! at this time the Cornhuskers are beating Baylor 10 to 7 (2nd quarter)
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    Does anyone have an info on just when the 2006 RL's will be available..?

Since you can already see used 2005 RL's showing up on cars.com for under $36-37K..it's a good bet they will drop slightly once the 06's are out.

My thinking - If you live in a state like New Hampshire (or any snow/winter state) why buy a TL when you might soon start to see $32-35K - used 05 AWD RL's with not too many miles on them..
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    I really want the RL now, but my lease on my Audi does not expire until the end of 2006. I actually like the way the RL looks. The exterior is clean and elegant. The interior is beautiful and very modern looking. I'm at an age where I like a quiet, smooth, and comfortable car. Besides, if I wanted a sporty ride, I'd drive my wife's 2005 G35 coupe w/ 19" wheels. It's very fast and rides kind of hard but fun. The sound system in it is only ok, not as sweet as the RL.
    The 2006 RL will be at the dealers toward the END of the month, I was told by the dealer again today.

I picked up the RL today after the 3 updates and the first thing I had to do was reset my XM preset buttons. :) Then as I left the dealer the first thing I noticed was the smoothness in the movement of the transmission through the gears. My car heretofore would also feel drag under say 25 to 30 mph...that's gone. I thought it might have had something to do with the SH AWD...but apparently the PCM update eliminated whatever was creating it. It's a good feeling. LMBRL to my friend Acuraphile....and "Hope to hear from you soon buddy"
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...you can already see used 2005 RL's showing up on cars.com for under $36-37K. ...

Wow, that's a pretty steep depreciation hit in one year for a $50K car!! :surprise: So much for that "Honda value" thing. Then again, a large margin of consumers felt it was overpriced to begin with. If what the lady mentioned a few days ago about finding a brand new '05 for $40K is true, I might have to look into it again. I've recently come to not need as much rear seat room as before. I just have to try to get used to the overly subdued exterior styling.
    TayIOrd...where have you been? Sorry to hear you don't need as much room as before and hope that was not a negative event in your life. I think your opinion on the design of this superior automobile will change. . It will grow on you particularly when you get a chance to be spoiled by all the positives that lay in store for you. Yes, It's a Honda all grown up in it's elitetest state! :)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    There hasn't been anything "unfortunate" happen in my life. My friends are just too afraid to ride with me. :blush: I like to enjoy my driving experience rather than just tool along from points A to B. Whereas they just like to poke along. Or it could be one of those control things where they like to drive fast, but only if they're driving. :confuse: I like going fast whether I'm driving or not. The one thing I don't like is darting in and out of traffic.

Anyway, the RL has a fabulous roster of goodies, albeit some of them are a bit buggy, and the interior is top notch. However, the other half and I both still feel the exterior is a bit laid back. It just doesn't have that road presence like cars of its class should have. We're finally starting to see more of them on the road (after a year!) and we haven't much changed our opinions. But I'm willing to give anything the benefit of a doubt, from Kia to Bentley.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Wow, that's a pretty steep depreciation hit in one year for a $50K car!! So much for that "Honda value" thing. Then again, a large margin of consumers felt it was overpriced to begin with.

I am one of those who felt the '05 RL was way overpriced. Unlike the MDX and the TL (I have owned both, and still have an MDX), I could never bring myself to consider the RL a "best-bang-for-the-buck" car that I associate with being an Acura.

BTW: There are apparantly no significant changes to the '06 (apart from optional Tech Package); thus I do not see how the '06 will be able to go for much more than low-mid $40s. If I can get an '05 today for under $40 (and I can) then why pay more than $43-44 for an '06 :confuse:

IF '06s are going for ~$44 in a few months THEN '05s will be worth no more than mid-$30s :blush:
  • stevef4stevef4 Member Posts: 25
    whos is selling new 05 for under 40?? Would make for a killer lease
    with thier captive lease special
    I was specifically referring to the cars.com post I replied to. However other forums (e.g. acurazine) are reporting sales in the upper $39s.
  • stevef4stevef4 Member Posts: 25
    can you please share with me the dealers name in Socal with that pricing
    Im ready to pull trigger now on new RL
    Metro Acura in Montclair gave me the low price of $41000 and then I talked him into $40,800. Many of the other dealers matched the price. I finally bought the car at Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim Hills. You can also get that price in other parts of Orange County.
    I bought the car on Friday, but it has not left the dealership. They put a new wood steering wheel on knob on the car. When I got there on Monday, the wood steering wheel did not match the wood on the dashboard. The grain pattern was similar, but the wood is a redwood. I am very disappointed. They got another steering wheel in today and it is still redwood. They called the parts warehouse and told them to see if they could send a brown wood steering wheel. The parts warehouse said they never had that problem before. I will get one more steering wheel tomorrow. Can you look at your wood steering wheel and let me know if it matches?

The wood knob is at least in the same family of colors. Although it is burlwood (swirly) and the wood grain on the dash is straight lines. It does not match exactly but it blends. I am really worried about the red steering wheel.
    Hi Steve,

Make sure you talk to only the Internet Managers at the dealerships. You can get their names and numbers from Acura.com. In case if you don't live in the area, try zip code 92806.
  • diesel3diesel3 Member Posts: 18
    after months of research and deciding which car to get, i decided to get the 05 RL. I think i got a good price, especially in NY. MSRP 41,500. It is a lease so am i paying 569 a month, with 2500 out of pocket which includes everything. I couldnt get them to come down and every other dealer in NY is out of stock. I was going to get the celestial silver, which i call platinum, and the dealer told me there is a scratch on the bumper. I dont want any other color. They will fix it, but what can they do for me in return? lower payment, or maybe a spoiler? thanks alot
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Member Posts: 7
    In order to make sure you like the car, you need to test drive, which means you are interacting with (and taking up the time of) a salesperson. Often, this person is not the internet manager. Do you continue to deal with your "test drive" person, or do you switch, especially if the internet person can give a better deal? I want to be fair since they work on commission, but also want the best deal.
    You are being thoughtful and considerate but once you establish a price anyone at the dealership should be able to assist you on a test drive including the general manager (I rode with the GM at my dealership because my salesman was unavailable at the time.) I'm grinning a little because you sound very excited and a little anxious to firm up that price in advance. Can't blame you. :D
    In order to make sure you like the car, you need to test drive, which means you are interacting with (and taking up the time of) a salesperson. Often, this person is not the internet manager.
    :confuse: Every internet manager I have ever dealt with let me test drive the car. I've never had to go to another salesman for a test drive.
    I normally test drive the car only with the internet sales manager. I either go directly to the dealerships receptionist and ask for the internet dept or I call before I get there. When you test drive with the retail sales department, you risk having to pay the higher price. I learned that the hard way at the Lexus dealership. I ended up buying the RL instead of the GS300 so it did not matter anyway.
  • houtxguyhoutxguy Member Posts: 11
    Did not see this when searching the forum so apologies of it has already been mentioned. Acura has finally updated their website with the 2006 RL pricing and options. Not much more than has been discussed here about the Technology Package but at least you can see the official details of the package AND the price - ouch! $53,100 for the RL with Tech Pkg. Not that anyone would honestly pay that MSRP for it. Just wanted to share.
    The new Horsepower is 290. Interesting.
    Horsepower is unchanged from 2005. Acura began following the new SAE standards for their '06 lineup.
    ... at least you can see the official details of the package AND the price - ouch! $53,100 for the RL with Tech Pkg.

Actually an '06 RL with Tech and Rear-Camera will MRSP at $54,210 :surprise:

Compare that to the fully loaded M35x (Premium, FSS) at $54,570.
    Note that this exceeds the RL equipment list (Premium includes rear DVD w/ rear heated and reclining seats).

What was Acura thinking? :confuse: Or perhaps they weren't :blush:
    That's why it is interesting. The engine is the same. So in your opinion, is the engine in the 2005 a 290 or a 300? :confuse:
    Hmmmm....I read this post earlier on the LPS forum and ignored it then. But in here I will give you my opinion. Price continues to be your main focus. I think Acura knows what they are doing with their pricing strategies. Availability of the 2005's will change overnight. Then what did you say you could buy a 2006 for?
  • prime203prime203 Member Posts: 20
    guess im new to this forum, i was gun ho about the new lexus is, but its way to expensive and currently lacking options, so i looked into the RL and so far impressed about what i have read, have their been any reliability complaints (i had a 04' infiniti fx35, was extremely UNhappy with it, lots of problems, horrible infiniti service), oh and hows acura service??? so the big question, i found a used 05' for $38,900 with 12k miles on it, do you think i can talk the price down any further, and if so how much is reasonable? thanks.
    $38,900 is a competitive price for a 2005. Check blue book value, trade-in, private party, and retail. Negotiate with those prices. Good luck!
    From what I read the newer SAE Standard is a more accurate and appropriate measure. Since the engine is exactly the same then horsepower is identical in each year and is "correctly" stated for each year's relalative measuring method.

One way to look at it is english units vs. metric; which is correct 1" or 2.54 cm?
    Availability of the 2005's will change overnight. Then what did you say you could buy a 2006 for?

I think it depends on how many '06 they manufacture. Some are speculating a production cut; if true then that will help keep prices up. If they do indeed limit production then early '06s could go close to MSRP. If production stays at '05 levels then I don't see how they can be that high.
    guess im new to this forum ... so the big question, i found a used 05' for $38,900 with 12k miles on it, do you think i can talk the price down any further, and if so how much is reasonable? thanks.

Lots of info here going back to the '05 RL release in Oct '04. It would worth your while to take the time and read through the material. You will find there have been some first year issues with the RL; it has not been a trouble-free release. Study the issues and see if you can live with them. I used to own an '04 FX35 as well and have owned three Acuras (2 MDX and TL-S). In my experience Infiniti service is equal to or better than Acura; neither is as good as what I read about Lexus.

Pricing depends on where you live. In California and Texas NEW '05 RLs with 12 miles on the odometer are going for $39,900 to $40,800 or so. However when the '05s are gone then these deals are gone. In any event based on what I read on this and other boards I would not pay $38,900 for an RL with 12,000 miles on it. Good luck.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    "You will find there have been some first year issues with the RL; it has not been a trouble-free release."

On the other hand, I've logged 7700 miles without a hitch - not one problem.. It's unreasonable to expect every '05 RL to be trouble-free. "Reliability" is based on frequency of repair and if you examine those bar -chart comparisons, not every Lexus is trouble free - furthermore, the difference in reliability on those charts, between Lexus and Acura, is hardly noteworthy. As far as service is concerned, I would pit my dealership's service department against Lexus anytime - appointments are kept promptly, loaners are available and when I leave my dealer after a service visit, I have every reasonable expectation that I will not have to return for a do-over. Are there Acura service departments that are flawed? You bet.
    I believe them to be the exception. Acura has always been associated with reliability. The three RLs that I've owned have proven to be no exception.

George
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Does anybody know if there will be a rear view back up camera in the '06 RL. I don't see anything about it described in the new technology package at the Acura web site? If it were going to be available in 06s, wouldn't it be at their web site now? Also, does anyone know when the '06s will hit the dealers. Could it be the end of the year? There are TLs at the local dealers now, but no RLs. Just a few 05 RLs!
  • prime203prime203 Member Posts: 20
    thanks a lot for the feedback msu79gt82, i think i do need to do more research, and i think you are right, my mom, sis, and dad each own a lexus (ls430, sc430, ls400), and the service they would get at lexus would make me so envious (they are treated like royalty - and the customer is always right thing totally applies to lexus, i think it may be the only manufac. that prides in service so much) one of the reasons i sold the infiniti (many other reasons too)...
    The 2006 RL will be at the dealers in a week. :D
    Did you get the steering wheel issue resolved? I have a feeling the redwood was all they had.
    i think you are right, my mom, sis, and dad each own a lexus (ls430, sc430, ls400), and the service they would get at lexus would make me so envious (they are treated like royalty - and the customer is always right thing totally applies to lexus,

When I was researching I looked at the RL, the M35, and the GS300. The RL MSRP had a $5000 markup over Invoioce, the M35 had a $4000 markup, while the GS had an $8000 markup :surprise: So yes I do believe that Lexus treats customers like royalty; however they are BUYING that customer service :blush:

When I said that it was my experience that Infiniti customer service equaled Acura, that was not to imply that either was bad. On the contrary I have been satisfied with my Acura dealer (bought 3 Acuras there) and my Infiniti dealer (bought 2 Infinitis) :shades:
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    went to several dealers today including my local Acura HQ and drove the RL for a second time: car has better headroom and features than the GS (by far) and has good overall performance. However, I was amazed at how much road noise penetrated the cabin (Michelin Pilot tires). I have a 97 BMW 528, with 132K on the clock and 45K on the current set of Michelin Energy tires, which was MUCH quieter over the same roads as the RL. Folks, this should not be the case in the new LPS segment. Acura should either put in more sound deadening or change out the tires. Seriously, for any Acura folks reading this board, this is a significant enough issue to keep me from buying the car. We want some snarl in the LPS segment when we are on the gas, but we want quiet cruising otherwise.
    Several discussions have taken place in this forum about the OE tires and a number of owners have changed to the Michelin Ultra Performance A/S Pilots and swear by enhanced road handling and smoother ride. (Dennis721 has them on his RL) Cstiles and Hendjaz are other owners that talked about the tires in this forum.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    You can easily change out the OEM tires for the Michelin Sport A/S, which are wonderful, using the stock 17" wheels or if you prefer the 18" wheel then you can consider also the Pirelli zero nero M/S tires. Can't go wrong either way.

BTW, there is nothing extremely wrong with the OEM tire, it is just a bit noisy and not the greatest traction but it is a low resistance tire aimed at max gas mileage. Get the RL and get a tire upgrade for quiet and handling. That's my recommendation from Scottsdale this weekend. Now back North to my RL. Can't wait, although Scottsdale in October is very nice.