Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey good for you. I had a 90 Deville 4.9
    bought brand new...kept till 97 it had 120k
    miles when I sold it. Still see it around.
    I assume yours has the 4.9. If so see if
    the coolant system has been flushed recently.
    If not do it and don't forget to add the GM
    sealant tabs. Something about using those
    tabs so the motor won't leak internally (spl)
    Good luck enjoy you CADDY !.........Geo
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    There is a road test review of the 2002 DTS on the http://thecarconnection.com website.

Pretty good reveiw.

J "CaddyLac"
  • deekay1deekay1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what a fair price should be on a '99 DeVille 50th Anniversary Edition should be? It has 33,000 miles on it.
    Thanks.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Actually, if it is a 90 Deville it has the 4.5 liter V8. They enlarged that engine to 4.9 for 91. 90s did get PFI so that improved performance of the 4.5 over 89 models.
    ME dumb... forgot its been a couple years
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    I agree with robh3's post a little while back about how all the car magazine reviewers care about is how much of a race car anything is. I can't understand why people want to feel every bump in the road. I currently own a Toyota Camry and dislike it. I'm planning to look at Cadillacs, hoping they ride smooth, nothing else seems to these days. Anybody have any advice about used 1999 models?
    Look for a base Deville or a Deville delegance and I think you'll find the ride very smooth. A Buick Park Avenue should also give you a very smooth ride at a lower cost, but it won't have the Caddy's wonderfully smooth Northstar V8.
  • mcfinsermcfinser Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 DTS with GPS navigation system. I am thinking of after market tinting rear side windows and rear deck window. Since GPS is located beneath rear deck, will this affect operation of GPS navigation system?
    I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue and it has Onstar. I also have the service manual for the car and it does indicate that some types of window tinting could interfere with the GPS antenna which is also mounted beneath the rear deck on the Intrigue.
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    I own a 2000 Deville sedan and was wondering has anyone had a problem with the driver's seat not going back far enough. I do not think that anything is broken but was wondering if there was a way to make it slide back further than the factory setting? I cannot stretch my legs out as far as I would like to. On long trips it can become a problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • g1994stsg1994sts Member Posts: 26
    I have a 1994 STS and experience the same problem. It's obviously an historically inherent GM problem and in particular with Cadillac since the 60's...the unusually long protruding steering column forces one to drive with the seat all the way back, effectively diminishing rear seat and leg room to about the size of a porche 911 rear seat.

Problem is Cadillac drivers are still unconfortably too close to the steering wheel and in my case, I just barely can reach the gas pedal. My other car, a 1999 taurus I can power slide the seat all the way back to the point I can not reach the steering wheel but can still reach the pedals.

It's obvious the same Cadillac engineers in charge of the ergonomics department are still there from the 60's. From your testimony it seems they finally moved up the pedals but we'll have the wait another 40 years before they make a shorter steering column.

The only solution is to have the seat re bolted down about 5 more inches back, there are hooks on the front end of the track that can probably be extended with a little welding by an expert. The two bolts on the rear end of the track will have to be remounted also 5 inches back.

Then we can really stretch out and feel like were really driving cool Cadillacs, unlike shorter drivers who have to drive dangerously too close to the steering wheel.
  • flamingoflamingo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 DHS with 23K miles. The information
    display indicates my transmission fluid is 99% as
    it has since I bought the car. The dealer says
    that I would have to pull a trailer or otherwise
    strain the transmission before this reading would
    go down. Is this BS or is he right?
    He is correct. Under normal use, Dexron III tranmission fluid shouldn't need replacement.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    To me, the DeVille is nothing but a glorified Delta 88. Enough said.
    When is the current-generation DeVille going to get another thorough redesign, and if so, will it switch to RWD and get a more powerful engine? I just looked at the new DeVilles at my local Cadillac dealership and they were by far the most well-assembled GM products that I have ever seen. By the way, when I was talking about the DeVille being a glorified Delta 88, I was referring to the last two FWD generations (1985-93, 1994-99). Now those things had build quality and reliability issues for a long time. Not so with the current and future generations; I think they'll be around with us for a while.
    The Eighty-Eight is history, Olds dropped it in 1999. The current Deville(or even the 94-99 version) had nothing in common with the Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight. The Deville was redesigned for 2000 and won't see a new model until about 2005 or 06.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    although it may be reskinned this fall...as in a different grille..interior revamp...etc.
  • rlprlp Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any experience with carbon build up?
    Specifics: 2000 DHS purchased David Taylor Houston, TX.
    ·26,500 miles.
    ·2nd time in shop for knocking.
    ·Service manager says a second chemical treatment for $200 is needed.
    ·This is considered maintenance and not covered under warranty.
    ·All gas purchased from majors.

Service manager stated that this is caused by gas additive (all gas has additives), same story from 2 dealers.

Is a Cadillac designing an engine not to work with todays gasoline additives?

Thanks
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    the gasoline in your area may have additional additives to reduce smog which may be causing the problem. Are you using regular or premium gasoline. Your engine is supposed to run on regular I think.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Ask the service manager to show you in the owner's manual maintenance guide where this is stated as being a maintenance item.

The motor isn't supposed to ping. Especially if they did it once under warranty, they must do it again under warranty.
  • cadburycadbury Member Posts: 6
    to purchase DHS from. Isn't it amazing how incompetent & lazy that car salesmen are. This is the biggest reason why I don't lease. I purchase my cars & hold on to them so I don't have to deal with salesmen. I live less than 10 miles away from 3 Cadillac dealers in Connecticut and I can't find one who knows the product, their own inventory, or even basic salesmanship. I don't know what these salesmen do all day, when a customer isn't in front of them. I will probably buy out of state because I just can't stand the fact that they might make a dollar for doing & knowing nothing. I won't buy from the Cadillac dealer that sold me my current Deville because of incompetence. I wouldn't expect Cadillac to take responsibility, since no other car manufacturer does either. I tried the internet, but you just end up dealing with another ignorant car salesman. I'll just have to walk into a dealership & say, "shut up & sell me this model at this price & I'll pick it up on Tuesday."
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    Many years in Mercedes, now American to stay. Love the DHS (practical use of potential 6th seat over-rode desire for buckets + 25HP) with Nav and after market added XM satellite radio. Just as nice to drive as the S class, and $30+ cheaper, plus 3 yrs of free GM money. Sweet.
  • jmanfrojmanfro Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks, I've been a reader of Town Hall for several years but have never posted. Based on several past disastrous experiences with GM/Chrysler products, I thought I'd never buy another car built in the U.S. again until I read most of the posts in this Cadillac Deville forum. These insightful comments convinced me to give GM products another chance.

Last week, I purchased a base 2001 silver Deville with about 12,300 miles on the odometer for $28,900. I've owned Acuras for the past three years. I traded a '97 RL with 65,000 miles on the odometer. I also purchased the 6yr/100K mile extended warranty. Based on the complexities of the car, the extended warranty seemed to be a prudent purchase.

I am thoroughly impressed with the power, quietness and handling of the base Deville. I hope it will be reliable over the long run.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...still be singing the praises of Cadillac and GM after a period of time. I too was a former Mercedes and Acura and foreign car owner who came to the Cadillac camp. After the initial "honeymoon" wore off, I became extemely disenchanted, disillusioned and fed up with multiple trips to the Cadillac service dept. I was enraged when leaving the car at the dealer for service over a weekend and then discovering it, by chance, parked in someone's driveway on the other side of town, on a Sunday. I checked the license number in confirming it was my beloved 2000 DTS, which was taken home and "joy ridden" by one of the service guys. No, this was not a "test drive". Anyway, I sincerely hope that you two gents have a better experience than I did with my former car, especially after the initial euphoria wore off.
    Enjoy your new Caddy ! I had a 90 Deville
    that went 120k and 8 yrs. of use ! Few
    minor problems over the years..Now 96
    Sedan deville 81k miles...Few minor problems
    too. Extended warranty is a good idea on
    the newer ones! ( I never bought one tho).
    My woman wants new car now ! Want to see a
    new CTS up close tho. She likes the Buick
    Lesabre (ugh). But they are about 17k cheaper
    than a new Deville !!!!!............Geo
    Lemko bought a new Seville STS !!!!
    The LUCKY guy ! Northstar too!
    No wonder he hasn"t posted!
    I can see your frustration with your car's problems, but it looks like the dealership's service department has only made matters worse for you. I'd be HIGHLY ticked off if I had my car in for service and found it parked at someone else's home over the weekend. I hope you have contacted the dealership owner and Cadillac corporate. A good service department can make or break an ownership experience.
  • washashore1washashore1 Member Posts: 1
    It's time to replace the Deville I bought new in 93. Can't bring myself to spend the amount needed to buy another new one even though I could afford it. I've considered other new cars for purchase but don't want to give up the comfort and hopefully the reliability (197,000 trouble free miles). Thankfully, Caddy's depreciate rapidly and I'm looking for a 2000 with less than 30,000 miles. Lots of them available on the web. Are there any problems with the 2000 Deville that I should watch out for?
    If you can afford it, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new DTS. They are very nice cars. But the 1-2 year old low mileage route isn't a bad choice either.
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Greetings:
    The new CTS's have just arrived in Atlanta. They're nice, but I always end up admiring the Devilles; I think that Cadillac has done an admirable job on them. It's also commendable that Cadillac has designed their cars to appeal to a younger market. I drive a '99 Accord and have 81K miles on it (not one problem of any kind with the car); I commute from Atlanta to Athens, Georgia 3 times a week (175 miles round trip). Though very reliable, the car rides hard, is fairly noisy on the highway and sits too low for long trips. I've checked out the Acuras but the RL also sits too low. I'm seriously giving some thought to a "Caddy" in 1.5 years when I replace the Accord. My question is related to long-term reliability of the Devilles. Are they fairly trouble-free over the long-haul? Does anyone have a preferred Cadillac dealer in the Atlanta metro area?
    I'm like you, I like the CTS alot but have alwats admired the Deville and Seville. I'm 26 and the CTS really appeals to me because of it's price and performance equation. But if I had 50K to spend, I'd have a Deville DTS or STS in a heartbeat. Nothing like the feel and sound of a Northstar V8. As for long term durability, I think newer models are pretty good. Newer as in 98 to present Sevilles and 00 to present Devilles. The Northstar is a good motor, but the older versions of these cars were not built on as good of chassis as the present ones are.
    Whatever happened to Cadillac's web site? You have to see it; it's all brand-new!
  • mgyfdmgyfd Member Posts: 3
    About the Devilles...my 2001 Deville is one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. I've had it since May with no problems at all. Long-term....the Newest Northstar engines are made to last. Other Cadillac owners have said this is best Deville yet. Good luck.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Last Monday I replaced my Carmine Red 1994 Cadillac DeVille after eight years and 90,696 miles with a brand-new 2002 Seville STS. I would've loved to have kept my DeVille forever, but was at the point where I could keep it and run it into the ground or still get something for it as a trade-in.
    Good move, you won't regret it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I know how THAT feels! I had - and in some way still have - a hard time giving up my totally reliable and dependable and comfortable 10 year old vehicle for a new one almost three years ago.

Good friend indeed! :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • egitelmanegitelman Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2001 DHS Nov.2001. It has been back to the dealer 10 times and been in the shop for 10 days(with my having a loaner) being fixed. It has been aligned 3 times,and had the rack and pinion replaced. The tires have been dynamic and forced balanced(moving the tire on rim) several times. The tires were rotated to get rid of the vibration. After this, the car pulled hard to the right and the steering wheel was off center. The correction to this problem was to swap the two front tires (at 5800 miles). This was done because of radial tire pull. The car seems to work reasonably well now but it makes me nervous to think of all the problems and what I have to look forward to. The vibration still is of concern and the steering is ok but not as good as my traded in 92 Olds 98. Has anyone had similar experiences and if so what did they do about it. My friends recommend I go for the Lemon Law.
  • tamcotamco Member Posts: 40
    Fellas, After 2300+ miles this 2001 DHS is the best handling, smoothest, quickest large car I have even owned or driven. This includes M/B, BMW 750il and all previous owned Cadillacs and Lincolns. Calillac's Navigational System so much easier to operated that Lexus, M/B, or especial BMW. NorthStar engine runs very strong even better after installing K&N turbo Filter. This DHS 0-60 time bets most other cars on the street. Night Vision great safety feature.My DHS gets 27.6 mpg on regular at 75 mph and 2800 miles to quart of oil. Stabiltrak is fantastic ....DHS handling is unmatched. No major machanical problems and all minor ones dealers in IL, FL, and Wisc. fixed problems in one day. OnStar was able to do a SYSTEMS CHECK as I drove and diagonois the problem and set up appointments instantly with nearest dealer. . Overall, I am very impressed with this DHS. After owning 12 Cadillacs, 2 M/B series, 2 Lincolns, 1 Lexus, 2 BMWs 750iL; mostly bought new, PLUS I owned a bunch of used Fords, Pontiacs and Chevys over the past 40 years....I can say "THIS 2001 DHS TRULY IS THE BEST Car, Ever!" Yah, I am one of those old guys that still loves fast cars that handled great too. I hope you all will be able to enjoy owning and really DRIVING one of these GREAT AUTOMOBILES. TAMCO
    Congrats TAMCO ! You and that lucky
    Lemko both got new Caddys !

Finally got the woman down to the
    Caddy dealer to check out a CTS
    sat. Weather was miserable snow and
    rain! (She hates to drive in it)
    Same salesman that sold us our 90 &
    96 !.........Gave us the keys and
    said be back by 5pm cuz this one is
    promised for a overnite till Mon.
    They only have 1 demo CTS..3 in stock
    Nasty weather so I couldn"t ROMP on
    it. Wanna see if that v6 has the
    guts of NOrthstar ! He sez Geo u
    know this car has no rebates and
    we will not do GM employee discount
    at this time on CTS. (BUMMER)
    He says what about a new Deville? She
    says I hate the seats ! Salesman sez
    hey I have a 01 Deville 3k miles
    diamond white,cd, chromes. It is untitled
    And it qualifies for GMS and rebates
    and we will DEAL BIG and give you more
    for your 96 trade ! Leave your 96 here
    and take this one HOME for a few days.
    He sez If she don't like it call me and
    the CTS will be back monday and you can
    overnite it if you wish !......Geo

BTW: She likes Lesabre....I WANT CADDY !
    CTS-STS-Deville anyone will do me good!
  • lodenloden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Deville. The Traction Control light will come on occasionally with a whirring sound from under the front of the car. When I start moving from a complete stop. This only happens for a few second and the light goes out and the whirring stops. The Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module was replaced due to a recall in November 1997 at 5349 miles. The problem was not occuring before the recall. Since then, a wiring harness, power steering rack, and battery have been replaced but the problem is still there. The dealer said the battery was placing an excessive load on the alternator. The Cadillac service department can't seem to find any problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    on the CTS site, and it may be the wrong place to ask...this may be the better place...what are the differences between the Seville STS and Deville DTS, and also the Seville SLS and Deville DHS??? it just seems to me that STS and DTS are almost the same car, but I am sure I am missing the obvious...both are 4 door, 300 HP Northstar, large cars, quite luxurious yet performance oriented, yada, yada, yada...I assume those who are intimate with Cadillac will know the answer...thanks...
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    The alternator has been making strange sounds in my 1998 Cadillac Deville. Dealer says a bearing is worn out and the alternator needs to be replaced. Is the alternator a common problem in the Cadillacs of the late nineties? Has anyone else had similar experiences? I have only owned the car since June 2001, it had 10800 miles at purchase. The car went into service in December 1997. It seems a little strange to me that an alternator would fail at 16,500 miles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It's under warranty, isn't it?

Have the alternator replaced and forget about it.

As a once Caddy owner, and reader of these message boards, I can tell you a lot of stuff on Cadillacs will break. Get ready for it.
    I have had a few new GM trucks and I
    have had the electric/hydralic snow
    plow set up on them. Boy did they chew
    up the alternators ! My 90 went thru 3
    94 went thru 2, my 97 went thru 1.....
    All with bearing falure ! My 96 Deville
    went thru NONE with 82k........Geo
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    I just traded my 2000 I30T (46K) which I bought new for a preowned 2000 DTS (15K) to gain more seat space and power. So far everything seems great. But I noticed a problem with the windshield that I also had on my 92 Bonneville and my 95 Aurora. When looking thru the winshield at specific eye level points there can be distortion at far away objects if your eyes move slightly up and down. A relative of mine who works as an engineer at GM told me that GM had problems with some of it's windshields during the glass bending process. I had the glass changed on the other cars and the problem was cleared up. I thought GM cleared this up but it appears that I have the problem again. Does anyone else notice this?

BTW thanks to everyone who contributes to the these boards. Since I have read and contributed to many differnt boards and having owned all kinds of cars (American and Foreign) there are very very few cars that are problem free!
    The 01 Deville is going back tomorrow !
    CTS demo will be back for a take home!
    Deville NICE .....Northstar AWESOME !
    Woman can't see over seats ! Sure
    hopes she likes she CTS or its a Buick
    for me ! (Nice cars but not a Caddy!)..Geo
  • psedrishpsedrish Member Posts: 49
    I am now the Caddy driver......'02 DHS. To me, I think the car is a bit sluggish. I had been driving a '97 Mercedes S500, so maybe I'm spoiled, but even my wife's '02 ML320 seems quicker. Should I have gotten the DTS?
  • tonyj33tonyj33 Member Posts: 6
    yes
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    There is no copmarison here...DTS is a much better vehicle. And plus I absolutley CANNOT stand that ridiculous column shifter in the DHS...overall DTS has many more technologically advanced features in the chasis control mechanisms, StabiliTrak, etc., and the H.O. NorthStar . . .