Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    How much does 6.5 quarts of sythnetic oil and the OEM filter cost? The answer to that is a good part of your $100 question. Here's a suggestion to save approx $25 every 15,000 miles...buy the synthetic oil, and then OEM filter yourself and take it to Jiffy Lube.
  • genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    For $100 (US?) I hope you're not expecting GOOD sex? Especially if you also get an oil change and a car wash/wax thrown in.

;)

If your dealer charges too much for the oil, you could buy your own oil and give it to them.
    Besides, it's a lease so you will probably only stick to recommended service intervals anyway, which would be covered.
  • 1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    I am planning to get the leatherette. I have to hit a price point with this car, and leather seats are out of the question. I spent alot of time looking at the leatherette in the 3-series at the Pittsburgh Autoshow last year. I think it looks great (like leather to the untrained eye). That said, my brother got real leather in his 323i, and it is a marked improvement over the leatherette in his '87 318i. The new stuff seems softer, though - more leather-like.

But how does it wear? I am considering black. I know, it is hot in summer and shows all the lint and dust. But, I've had tan before (and it is beautiful, and looks good with wood), and the carpets get destroyed in the winter unless you cover them relentlessly (especially if you have kids). Also, I hate shoe marks on the door sills, which show up on tan, and are virtually impossible to remove.
    I wasn't expecting ANY sex - which is why I think it is a rip-off! Afterall, it was FREE in high school and college! Besides, once you're married with children, ANY sex might be considered good sex.

You're right, with a lease I'll probably stick to recommended intervals. I just can't imagine going that long on an oil change. I guess I'm just old fashioned - about some things.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    dunno. possibly for the same reason they are willing to spend 35,000 on a car and cheap out on everything it needs afterwards.... or for the same reason they can buy an expensive house and not complain that the maintenance on that is expensive.

fwiw, it's not just the advances in motor oil, it's the advance in engines themselves. geez, folks, they've been working on more than vanos for the past 20 years. anyone old enough here to remember that a ring job was pretty much a maintenance item? when's the last time you heard of someone needing one on a "modern" vehicle.

re: bringing it to jiffy lube. yea, and when you get there, make sure you point out to the guy where the oil filter goes. and you might as well bring a torque wrench too, they ain't gonna have one there, and make sure you tell him the torque numbers. and, oh yea, that guy at the dealership changing your oil is a trained tech who might also notice something that don't look right while under your car, saving you thousands in the long run for a 50 dollar fix. the jiffy lube guy? just hope he puts the drain plug back in, and oh yea, uses a new crush washer every time...

yes, race car drivers change it every race. they also tear the entire engine apart every race. you would too, if you were running max rpms for hours on end...

as far as a difference, yes there is a difference between mobil 1 and castrol.

yes, you get free maintenance for 3 years/36k, but don't expect to walk in there every 3000 miles and get your oil changed. fwiw, it does come with a wash, mine does anyway.

as far as 100 being a rip-off. you wanna play, you gotta pay. and, if you'd stop and think a second (rather than just assuming, 1 100 dollar oil change every 15k miles is a lot cheaper than 5 30 dollar oil changes every 3k miles (not to mention the environmental impact)...

as far as the "always taught"... so was i... but guess what? our forefathers were "always taught" to milk the cows first thing every morning. things change.

all that being said. you wanna change your oil every 1000 miles, go for it. just don't whine about how much it costs before you consider ALL the variables that go into that cost.

-Chris
    My current car is very dark metallic green. In fact, when I get parking tickets, the cops write "black" on my ticket. I live in the northeast, but I have a friend with a black BMW in Phoenix (he bought it when he lived in Cleveland). He hates the color. He says it is dusty before he finishes drying it. Then, because it doesn't rain all week, the dust builds up. When it does rain, it is just a sprinkle, and he has horrible water spots. I know from experience that waxing a dark car is a long labor of love, that never quite ends right. I pay to have my car detailed, just so I don't have to wax it.

I will probably never buy a dark color car again. I'm lucky, I like RED - which does not require an up-charge for metallic paint. It's also a very easy color to maintain.
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Sex AND a wash AND a wax!!! Never tried it together but it sound like a great idea. The wax really spices things up (I've heard).

When I sat in the 325i at the auto show this weekend, I couldn't tell for a while if it had leather or vinyl. I figured it didn't have the smell and the wrinkles typical for leather, so it must have been like the vinyl in my car. Vinyl will be a lot more durable, especially with kids in the car. It probably gets a bit hotter than leather during the summer and it may not breathe as well. It wears very well and no, I don't have any lint or marks on my black vinyl. If you're only leasing, you won't be able to tell a difference for 3 years. And BTW, why lease?
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    there's a difference between mobil 1 and castrol? I've heard BMW CCA members using mobil 1, but I thought it was more personal preference. Been a while since I shopped, but aren't they about the same in price?
    A lot of reasons for me to lease:

1) I figure I can save about $150.00/mo on the three year lease payment. I don't want to put much money down ($2,500 max), and I can't stomach a payment over $500/mo.
    2) My life is still a little in flux. Who knows what kind of car I'll want in 3 years.
    3) I like new cars, that are covered by warranty. I like my cars to be perfect. When their out of warranty, you always make those value judgments like "do I get that squeak in the sunroof visor looked at, even if it costs me $300 to fix it?" I've heard these things cost a fortune to fix and maintain, once their out of warranty.
    4) I've just gotten used to a car payment. I hate the hassles that come with a car that is 6-10 years old. Even Japanese cars have problems when they get over 5-years old.
    5) If I want to, I can buy it out at the end of the lease (like a used car). I know this isn't as cheap as buying it new to start, but I'll get it for thousands less than trying to buy a used BMW from the same year, from a dealer. The used car market on these is amazing. And I'll know every mile that was put on it.
    I've waxed both my Orient Blue 325i and my wife's black A4 and did not find it THAT difficult. Wax and wipe took me less than an hour on each (I do work very fast, though). Oh, red is suicidal if you like to go fast - cops love that color at least as much as you do.
    for some reason, red doesn't look all that great on a luxury sedan/coupe for some reason.
    I drove red car for 7 years. It glowed like the sun. I was pulled over 3 times in it for speeding, and let go every time (by State police). I've been pulled over ONCE in my green car in 2-1/2 years, and was given a $125.00 ticket. Go figure.

Your right, though, the statistics prove it. But, I loved that color sooooo much. I never looked at any other color on the road with envy when I had my red car. Now I nearly cry when I see a nice model car, in red, go by. That's part of the reason I'm not looking at the new A4 too seriously - According to their web site, they don't offer a true red for 2002.
    It sounds like you have good reasons to lease, esp. if you only drive 11K miles a year. Key thing is that you cannot buy a 3-series with no money down and keep the monthly payment to < 500. Mine was 33K (tax included) and my monthly payment is $629 with no money down over 5 years.
    The color seems to have fallen out of favor over the last couple of years. Late 80s/early nineties was the heyday for this color, I think.

I asked my rep and he also said they weren't as popular lately. Most of the ones I've seen around here are driven by women, usually blonde.
    Is that an indirect way of telling us you're not blonde? ;-)
    What do you think? Do I have a 'blonde' personality?
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I hope you're not expecting GOOD sex?

I've never heard of BAD sex!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, let's call an end to the sex talk now, thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I don't think so. Besides, some of the smarter people I've met are blondes.
    >>Besides, some of the smarter people I've met are blondes.

And what, pray tell, are you implying?
    :)
    yea. besides the add packs being different, mobil 1 has a "true" synthetic base (or nowadays, 3 different ones)... iirc, castrol uses a highly refined petroleum base (hydro-cracked, or something like that, i don't remember exactly)... i do remember they got nailed by a mobil complaint to the ftc in 1999 challenging their "synthetic" claims... they may have reformulated since then, dunno...

i use mobil 1 and oem filters when i do it myself, and the dealer uses castrol, i'm not gonna sweat the difference... i also use mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter in my wife's truck...

-Chris
    Do all dealers use synthetic oil when they perform changes? I know my manual recommends synthetic only, but my dealer sent me a flyer for a winter special that stated "synthetic oil extra"

So what gives? I don't plan on going to this particular dealer and I will insist on synthetic over dino juice. I was just concerned over the difference btwn what the manual recommends and what the dealer is selling.
    a good question, and i don't have an answer. i know mine does, because i asked. so it doesn't hurt to ask and find out.

fwiw, don't forget to give 'em your bmwcca card whenever you go to the dealer. virtually all of them give a 10% discount on parts for cca members, and they don't go out of their way to ask you if you are a member or not.

-Chris
    mschukar - You're right. It is good, better, best and out of this world but never BAD ;o)

Stereotypes: I do remember seeing a red Camaro with a license plate that read "Blonda". I imagine it would be a woman in her 40's with big blonde hair who is a single mom and loves to party.

genie1, I'm voting you for the 2001 3-series board Muse award. Even though you're not blonde ;o)
    Why this all is so unexpected...I don't have a speech prepared...I don't know what to say...Oh, I've never won anything before...

I'd like to thank dave330i, brave1heart, shipo and all the other guys on the 3-series...

LOL

Oh, and I can't forget ccotenj, who will threaten me with a torque wrench if I don't promise to change to snows. :)
    You still have time to prepare a speech in case you win (I'm only casting a vote). I think you can count on Dave and Shipo - being the only female on the board (am I right??) effectively wipes out any competition for that category, so I'd say you're pretty safe. Start working on that speech.

Let's see what other annual award categories we should have. Maybe...
    Dean of the Board (Shipo?)
    Technical Achievement Award (Chris?)
    Autoxing Achievement Award (Dave?)
    Lifetime Achievement Award (only >60 need apply)

What else?
    I wasn't implying anything, society did. I grew up in East coast and now live in NoCal. Not a lot of blondes in these parts. The few I've met were very intelligent.
    lol...

nah, my technical knowledge is dwarfed by div2's... not to mention ajvdh's, and many others... i just know who to trust and learn from them and try to remember... how do you know who to trust? 2 things...

1) if they ask a question that the answer is readily available in their owner's manual, they don't get trusted in more arcane issues.

2) if they answer a question somewhere along the line with "i don't know", vs. attempting to give an answer. i love hearing "i don't know". makes it so i can trust that same person when they do give me an answer on something.

-Chris
    what ever happened to your plans of being the board historian?
  • topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    I'm considering switching my conti contact sports that came standard with my sp 330i to Blizzack LM22's for winter driving here in NY. They seem to be rated very high by tire rack. I have also considered Michelin Pilot Sports which are all season high performance but was told that they would only be OK in snow and ice and I would like the option of driving up to Vermont for a ski weekend, even without a blonde; oops, sorry the previous posts were still on my mind! Has anyone here had experience with these? (tires, not blondes). Also, is tire rack reliable and honest? They say that I can opt for 16 inch tires on my original rims but I'm leaning toward keeping the specs the same as original. Any thoughts? And lastly, what's a fair price top pay for mounting and balancing? A local shop here quoted me $25 per tire.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    check out the Dunlop Winter Sports. I've been looking at the Blizzak LM22s as well for my WRX wagon. If you look at the owner surveys the Dunlops rate higher with more respondents. Either way, I don't think you could wrong with one or the other. Both tires have had favorable reports back for dry/wet/snow driving. BTW, in the size 205/55x16, the Dunlops are $102 ea vs Blizzak LM22s @ $116 ea (per Tirerack).

Stephen
    Think about getting an extra set of wheels so you don't have some sap "mounting" and "balancing" your tires 2x a year.

You will probably break even, as the initial cost of the wheels and tires will offset the $100 each time you swap tires.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Genie & Brave,

I second the nomination... The nomnation carries.

Chris,

Div2 is of course THE MAN, however, you are here, humble though you may be, I second your nomination as well... The nomination carries.

TopSpin,

I think that TireRack has a list of local shops and their prices for a mount and balance. Having said that, Genie has a good point, a few seasons of switching and you bought yourself the winter wheels. And another thing! Over the years I have destroyed my share of tires (Chicago and NYC roads) and I have seen folks take a Cherry BBS wheel and score the hell out of it when mounting a tire. The wheel still works, but it looks like it was a reject from a junk yard.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    There was mention earlier that this steering wheel is much better than the E46's. Anyone have a link to some pics? Anyone have any pricing information?
    Historian sounds good. I am searching for my spectacles as I'm dusting off the binder with 100,000 posts back from the turn of the millennium.

"You know, grandson, Dave was just a regular guy back then...It was much later that he became famous as the intoxicated Conqueror."

"Grandpa, you mean Autoxing Conqueror?"

"Honey, I told you not to teach our grandson to drink and drive..." :o)
    Silver - The M3's steering wheel is one of the most popular 3-series upgrades. I do not have a picture of it but last time I looked up its price it was around $299. Installation is supposed to be relatively easy.
    I'm sorry, guys, but while I agree that there are less red Bimmers on the road today than ten years ago, if its not red,...its dead. I learned my lesson. My current cars are dark green (Maxima), snow white (Caravan - hey, I have three kids!), and black (a '90 chevy 4WD pick-up for utility purposes). And they're all boring colors.

I think of BMW's as sports cars, as "look at me", "this car is really worth looking at" cars. I don't want to slip under the radar (except police radar). If I was going to get beige, grey, blue or green, I might as well buy an Acura.

I think your blonde stereo-type is way off the mark. Nevertheless, my second choice would be sports-car-classic silver, or pearl white (a $1,200 option on an A4!!!). I love black cars - when they're in the showroom, and haven't seen a winter, but I'll probably never buy another car for me that isn't red, silver or maybe pearl white. Now for my wife's car...that's another story.
  • mcnal01mcnal01 Member Posts: 32
    Hello all, this is my 1st post.
    I'm planning on ordering a 325xi in the near future. Do you recommend mud flaps? I live in Alaska and have always had mud flaps on my vehicles. Anyone have pics of the OEM mud flaps? A dealer quoted me $240 installed, ouch. Also, what about the floor mats. I was quoted $135, are they worth it or is an aftermarket a better choice.
    Thanks
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    Are the M3 and M5 steering wheels the same? In an earlier post, I thought the person was referring to the the M5?
  • benardalbenardal Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone have any pictures of a 2002 325i with Sport Package? I want to get a good look at the new rims. Thanks!
  • jreber1jreber1 Member Posts: 1
    Im thinking of getting 18 inch tires and wheels as an option on 330ci with sport pkg. do you feel this option is worth the cost if performance is an important factor for me.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    I just posted a long write-up on this a few posts back, use scoll-up 20 messages link until you see it. It had 18inch wheels/tires in the subject line, if edmunds support search.
  • blackrenblackren Member Posts: 8
    Even though I think red looks kinda cheap on a 3-series, it looks fantastic on a Z8!!!

While on the way to school, I spoted a red Z8 behind me, as it was drove by a 50 something man. What a nice car, my eyes are glued to the car until to the point which I have to make a left turn to my school.
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    I saw a beautiful Silver Z8 Monday afternoon. Sitting next to this 50ish guy at a stop light in N. Atlanta, he had the top down, perfect convertible weather. Noticed his plates had expired about 6 months prior. In Georgia, car taxes are relatively high, and is varies by county. His plates were Fulton Co, bet he owed at least $2000. WTH, I bet the dude had it. :))
    tirerack - honest.
    mudflaps - if you like 'em, go for it... the ones on the e36 were a royal pain to get clipped on... dunno if that has changed on the e46.

18" - i'm not convinced the 18" bmw wheel will add any "performance", as you'll be adding some unsprung weight. might be a wash. something to consider. tire prices (and options) get pretty scary 18" and above. want to go bigger than the stock 17"? do some hunting, find yourself forged lightweight wheels and then you'll be barking up the correct tree.

tires/wheels - get the steel wheels, or hunt around for a set of takeoffs that someone is trying to get rid of (i found a real nice set of 15" basketweaves for mine). wheel will pay for themselves (as someone pointed out earlier) with one season of use.

shipo - lol... somehow, i just can't think of myself as an "expert" on these things yet...

mark - did you cop a ride in it????

-Chris
    I think that red Z8 you spotted may be the one profiled in the TorStar/Globe&Mail (can't remember which) a while back. There can't be too many around here.

That's one beautiful car. For us lesser mortals, I drove with a M roadster on Lakeshore to work this morning. It looked black but had a bluish tinge. Very nice!
  • shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    My 2001 325i is bright red and last time I looked I was a male living in Canada! Sorry Genie.

Get lots of comments about the colour and on the lot at Budd's in Oakville they have 3 bright reds. One a 5 series, 2 3 series, 1 being a convertable M3. All are stunning!
    I'm sure you will be very pleased with your BMW no matter what color you pick. Color is extremely subjective and we've been through this before on this board.

Shawn: I'd forgotten that your bimmer is red. How was your service experience at Budds?

:)