Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Comments

• scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Anyone have one of these? Any downside besides deterioration in ride quality?

Thanks
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    Where can I find more information in the web about the new & series. I have read a couple of articles and it seems interesting from the technological standpoint.
    However, the BMW is taking a huge risk with the styling, IMO. What is with that Rolls Royce style rear end. Sideways, the car looks more like an Audi than a Bimmer.
    Anyway, although being a die hard S Class fan, it is interesting for me to know more about this new flagship sedan.
  • moderator_drewmoderator_drew Member Posts: 3
    the MB chat tonight has been cancelled. I hope that those of you in NYC or Washington are okay! Paul, please let us know that you're doing okay.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    May god be with all the victim's families. This was a horrible, irrisponsible act agains peace and freedom. Just hope justice comes soon. Although a foreigner. I feel as if this has happened to my own homecountry.
    Sorry to say, but I am dissappointed in the Intelligence system. They just did not see it coming. The US is a symbol of the untouchable freedom and peace. i just can not imagin the consequences in the world order.
    My ehart goes to all the victims. I also appeal to all not to hate the person next to you just because they are foreigners, and think that all foreigners are enemies. I was shocked to see arabic people get threats in my community. They did not want this anymore that did we.
    Has anyone read about the new S63 AMG, the performance version of S600 yet? I read a little bit in the Road and Track magazine and I must say I am amazed. I also tried to look it p in the interne, but I could only get scandinavian pages, which I cannot read.
    If anyone has seen any good websites talking about this new model, please let me know.
  • paul422paul422 Member Posts: 3
    Here is a great site for the S63 AMG:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/200163amg.htm

Also, I hope that everyone is all right after yesterdays events. I live in New Jersey and I saw the towers from a hill in my town. This was a horrible act and I hope that whoever did this pays the price.

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I hope it will, but I have a feeling the S63 won't be coming to the U.S. Like so many other past Europe-only AMG models.

M
    It would be a shame if this model did not come here. Americans love big engines and this one is sure to be a monster, witha ton of refinement tossed into it. The acceleration estimate of 5.7 sec from 0 to 60 mph seems too conservative, as the S55 has been tested to have clocked 5.5, and the S600 (inwhich this model is based, is capable of up to 5.4, according to car and driver). Mathematically, since the AMG V8 bettered the regular 500 by 0.6 sec (5.5 vs. 6.1) I would expect the S63 to low fives, if not high fours, although I doubt it.
    Anyway, these are my two cents in this car. I can only dream as to what the actual thing will be like.
    The only thing is I can't imagine two AMG versions of the S-Class on sale at the same time. What happens to the S55?

M
  • mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    Mercedes is really trying to change their image as can be seen with the introduction of the redesigned C-class and especially the C-coup. They seem to be very dedicated to having a full range of AMG cars. If the demand is there, I do believe there is a good chance they will import the S63.

As for the S55, it runs around 100K, the S63 will probably run around 140K. These prices will seperate the two enough to where they will not be stepping on each others toes.
  • sduff1sduff1 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had problems with their back glass breaking on their 2000 S500? Ours cracked and I've heard mine was not the first. Some have just shattered while sitting in the showroom.
    I watched some great videos of Mercedes Benz vehicles. as well as some other brands yesterday at liveautos.com. I recommend anybody who is a MB fan to take a look at them, since they are marvellous. My favorite was the S600.
  • jrb98mn1jrb98mn1 Member Posts: 1
    I got stuck with the earlier analog phone as some others did in earlier posts. The dealer has stated that it is no use to switch to the star tac "dualband" because it is not a "triband" meaning that it gets no better service than a regular analog phone.

I always thought that dualband meant it has both analog and digital platforms and a triband included use in European signals. Am I wrong?

Also, someone had stated a price of $1100 in a earlier post for the "star-tac." I was quoted $2500 for the star tac. What gives? Is this the price without trading in the analog phone? If anyone has researched this and has part #'s or a dealer that knows anything please reply.

Thanks in advance!
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    Someone's smoking crack... for $2500 any installer will put in any kind of phone system you want plus a TV screen and DVD player.
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    jrb98mn1:

There are 3 types of commonly used cellular phones: CDMA, TDMA, GSM.

Within the CDMA & TDMA phones, there are 3 groups:
    1. analog only
    2. dual-mode - analog & digital (800MHz)
    3 tri-mode - analog, digital 800MHz, 1900 MHz.

The 1999 MB phones (star-tac) and before are analog only, 2000 (digital star-tac) dual mode, 2001 (timeport) tri-mode. Rumor is that for the 2002 models, it'll come with the V60.

Tri-mode will give you the best reception.

The biggest advantage of dual-mode phones over analog phones is the improved battery life. Digital calls use much less battery than analog calls, a concern if your MB phone is portable. Digital calls are usually cheaper too and caller ID is only available on the digital network.

On your MB, you should try to order the tri-mode Timeport for the best reception as well as the best integration between the phone and the car. With the Timeport on a current MB model, if you have caller ID, the incoming phone number will appear on your dash.

The CDMA & TDMA tri-MODE phones are not to be confused with the GSM tri-BAND phones. GSM runs on 3 bands, 900/1800 - used in Europe and Asia, and 1900 - North America.

The tri-BAND GSM phones can operate on all 900/1800/1900 bands but MB USA & Canada only offer CDMA or TDMA Motorola phones for their cars in North America. If you order the CDMA version of the MB Timeport, you get a 3 color display while the TDMA Timeport does not have color.

The MB phone, while totally expensive, is actually worthwhile in my opinion on a current model. The system will automatically mute your stereo when a call comes in and you don't have to worry about the handsfree wire tangled with the seatbelt, or having another car kit for charging. If you want to save a few hundred bucks, order without the $500 voice recognition. However, I'm not sure the year of the MB you have and whether you can actually retro fit the tri-band phone in it.
    I am wondering whether the Mobile Media package from AMG will become available here in the Us for the S-Class. To me understanding,it has been on sale in Europe since the introduction of S55 AMG, in late 1999. This is an impressive package that transfomrms the S in a mobile office or entertainment room, with Internet PC, DVD, VCR, TV. It features three aditional monitors to the command center: in the front passenger's sun visor, and in the back of the headrests for the rear pasengers. The seat backs also feature electrically fold down tables trimmed in wood. The whole cabin has additional wood trimming all around, especially in the doors and consoles. It looks marvellous. I wonder what the cost would be. And I guess it would require another owner's manual to be added to the already extensive three piece that already is required to be read. Technophiles will have a field trip.
    The US regulations would have a hard time to allow such technology in the American S-classes, as it will be perceived as a distraction to the drivers that would cause accidents. But boy, wouldn't it be imressive?!!
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    (1) Does anyone know if it is possible to add "Tele-Aid" or"On Star" to a 1996 S -320?
    If so, price / how / from whom -let me know.

(2) I am considering adding an extended warranty.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    What companies and what experience?
    (Anyone had experience with "Wynns" or "Great Lakes" ?)

These are great cars and I am always interested in keeping them first class and when I can improve them.

Thanks !
    Christchurch
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I would actually prefer the BRABUS S Modification. I'm getting my pictures back tomorrow if I get time to stop by the store and pick them up. The inside of the S includes a approximate extention of 10" and a huge plasma screen, a duplicate front console too!! I'll post pics when I get them (like I've been promising people for the past week.)

robert
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    I just bought a complete set of Navigation CDs - total of 11 CDs. It covers entire US as well as Canada. The price is $300. I was told by my dealer that MB had just made this kit available recently.
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    So I have finally found all the Benz Nuts at Edmunds.com. How come you guys don't post in the CL 500 or 2003 SL500 sections?

Robert and I recently returned from a German Auto Tour to the Mercedes and AMG factory along with the Frankfurt Auto Show. We saw the new SL500 which I love, but admit they made a few cheapo interior choices (the plastic shroud over the speedo will hopefully be covered in leather for the US as it is in the SL55 shown at the show). The people at the AMG factory couldn't be bothered to give us the time of day, which indicates their priority is on making cars and not new customers. Driving on the Autobahn with Robert at the wheel of an A-Class at 190 kilometers/hour was a real treat.

We also saw some of the new E-Classes and CLK's roaming around the factory and they seemes a little too rounded for my taste. As soon as I returned to the US I ran out and bought a car with ABC (CL500) because I was so impressed with the S-Class I drove on the Autobahn with this feature. I hope I don't have any of the problems reported here. I don't expect that the Continental tires that came with this vehicle will last long and will happily switch them over to Michelin Pilots in the next 10,000 miles.
  • broonbroon Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at trading my 2000 E430W4 for a Starmarked 1998 S500 that just came in off lease with 28xxx miles. Love everything about the 4Matic E class, but need more room for kids, stuff, etc. Don't like the new S and don't want to spend that much money. The 500 I'm looking at doesn't have ESP, unfortunately.

Any drawbacks to this trade you can think of, money issues aside? Would be giving up 4Matic, ESP, and TeleAid, but not sure how much they'd be missed. I think the S500's weight and ASR should make it perform well enough in the limited winter we have here in Missouri.

Appreciate your input.
  • christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    All I can say is that the former S class model is the flagship of the Mercedes line. It is without question the "king of the road".

I absolutely love its room and road worthiness.
    I like you chose it over the E class because I wanted absolute safety, size and road presence.

I think that once you own one you will be a true believer in this S class as The True Classic Mercedes Experience !

Christchurch
    So you did it.. Got the CL500...

I'll post that pic of the CLK, I got the pics back a couple days ago.

To all I wish a Gutfahrt,
    Robert
  • duopshebobduopshebob Member Posts: 9
    I have had a few problems with my 2001- S430 that I took delivery on Nov.2000 in Scottsdale. I have listed them on a previous post. Most have been solved to my satisfaction EXCEPT for the SMELLY A/C !!!! The car has been in several times and they have replaced the heater box assembly and the drier ,but used all the rest of the original parts to put it back together. I am still getting a MAJOR NOXIOUS VINEGAR SMELL. I use the car almost every day. It is the worst when I first turn on the A/C, and then sometimes it goes away, but most times it lasts the entire time the A/C is on. I am told by the dealer (who really doesn't know what to say) its "perculiar to AZ" in that its some type of mold and fungus that is growing in the system due to our weather. (But our weather is dry?) After reading other posts of people with SMELLY A/c's, it seems that people with Cadillac's and Toyota's in other cities (Florida) , are also having this problem. It has been suggested that the mold is growing NOT in the heater box, but in the DUCTS and or EVAPORATOR COILS or CONDENSER COILS . To spray lysol into the outside vents only masks the problem and doesn't get rid of it. It has been suggested that TRUE OZONE may get rid of the fungus and mold but too much would also RUIN the interior. Others have suggested shooting CO2 into the vents. I am at my wits end, and I am seeing the dealer again on Fri. This has never happened in a car I have owned. I have lived in Michigan, Washington State, Hawaii, Florida and now Arizona. I previously owned a 97 E420 and never had this problem in Hawaii or Washington which is where mold and mildew are a way of life. Apparently this problem is not unique to Mercedes, or Arizona. However, the fact that this is happeneing in the most expensive car I have ever purchased is really very upsetting! Especially since it started happening within the first 5 months of ownership. If anyone else has experienced this problem or really KNOWS of a solution PLEASE let me know! Thanks a lot!
    Sally
  • broonbroon Member Posts: 7
    I totally agree with you...took the S500 home last night for wife to check it out...she hated it, said I could only have it if she got to keep the E430. No deal. :-(
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I am looking forward to Robert's photo of the new CLK, which we saw just prior to driving on the Mercedes test track in a BUS. I was so excited I forgot to take off my lens cap and never got the photo.

Hey Robert, tell your Dad he needs to get that CL55, it is head and shoulders above the E-55 in terms of quality. He is a mature guy like me and will appreciate the ride more.
  • joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
    I live in Phoenix too and we have the smelly AC problem with our 2001 Yukon XL. My 2001 740iL doesn't, (so far). Check the Suburban/Yukon XL and Tahoe/Yukon sections under the SUV board. There have been lots. Our Yukon XL just started this, I haven't tried to fix it yet, but I checked the interior air filters and they and the evaporator were completely clean and fungus/mold free...joe
  • mlbarnesmlbarnes Member Posts: 48
    Would someone please tell me how much does 1 cd for my naivgation system will cost? I'm very upset to pay that much for a navigation system and still have to buy cds.
    I just saw an S500 today that blew me away. It had 19 or twenty inch chrome AMG (i believe) tires, no AMG body kit. The front end was modified though. The star, instead of sitting above the hood, was in "alla CL" fashion in the middle of the mascarine. The star was not as big as those in the CL, it had a diameter of about 3.5 inches. It looked extremely nice, even though I am not a fan of tricks like that. The EBnz looked really nice.
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    Mlbames:

I was upset too about MB's penny pinching tactics too. I believe all these "small" things will help erode MB's competitive edge.

Anyway, I was quoted by my dealer that it would cost $150 per CD. He then talked me into buying the new kit that includes 11 CDs (9 CDs for US & 2 CDs for Canada) for $300.

As much as I love driving my S500. I gave this round on Navigation System to Lexus430.
    Thanks!!!!!!! I agree with you 100%. I would had rather brought the cds up front then to be nickel and dime to death!
    Did it have the Eyes of the CL? or the standard S-Class Eyes?

IT could have been the Brabus Version of the S-Class.
    It had the standard S class eyes, which in my opinion are far better than anything else mercedes has. It was not a Brabus model, hence the normal badge S 500. Also, it had no sport package at all, just the standard S class trim. One thing I noticed was that it had extensive wood treatment (burl walnut, with a black interior) in the center console, armrest, steering wheel and cupholders. The interior was absolutely gorgeous.
    The grill, i have to say was unique, in that it made the Benz sedan look like a coupe. The standard S class grille with the 4 inch star in the middle looked as if factory-made, and looked extremely nice. I only wish the three pointed star was a little bigger. Atop the grille, where the traditional star usually sits, was just the mercedes emblem that you would find in the same spot at the CL coupe, since the stick-up star was deleted. The tires were chrome, AMG i believe, thin five spoke, really huge, with very low profile tires. While the tires looked the nicest I ad ever seen, I am doubtful as to the sacrifice in the ride.
    Mercedes claims they have a new type of filter for the A/C. They put this new filter in my S430 on Fri. Oct.5. My car has been ODOR FREE since that time!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!
    Vinegar smell is back. Well, I had 6 nice days of fresh smelling a/c. Will continue to look for a solution!
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    My sister is looking for a 2000/01 S class sedan with low mileage in either the NYC area or the Palm Beach area, any leads, please feel free to e-mail me with the information, i.e. pricing, mileage, colors, 430/500 options and pricings.
    Thanks Steven
    The new 7 from BMW looks appealing with all the innovations, and other than the rear end, the styling really grows on you. however, nothing is going to make me get over the S-class sedan. The Benz is just too beautiful of a car, top notch comfort, sporty and innovaative. My favorite if money was no object: S600!!!
    I have recently read that the V12 in the new SL 600 that will come in about a year will have 406 hp instead of the current 362. I take this power bump will apply to the rest, so the S600 and CL600 will also have that much power. Is there anything in the press that can confirm this? This certainly would make good sense, with the BMW 760iL having 408 hp. When would this update take place?
    Waiting for responses, Thank you!
    Well Mercedes' engine plans aren't clear to me anymore. They used to follow a very strict and logical progression. Now I don't know. They have a new 6.3L version of the new V12 that develops 440hp, but that still doesn't touch the new 476hp of the 5.5L Supercharged V8. It has been confirmed that new AMG V12 will be installed in the CL and S cars to make the CL63 and S63. Nobody knows if they'll replace the regular "600" version of these cars or will they sit atop the S and CL range? Assuming the S55 and CL55 don't get the new supercharged version of the V8 they already have. It's a big mystery right now. I do like all these new engines though. The current 600 and 55 cars are too close in power right now anyway.

M
    I doubt the S/Cl63 will replace the 600s in the flagship positions. As refined as these engines may be, they still are "tweaked", which menas that they are probably not as smooth and quiet as the regual V12. I doubt MB will want to take those attributes away from its flagships. They might offer them like the 55s, as a performance version. Therefore, I do not think the supercharged version of the AMG V8 will find its way in these models.
    However, as you said, there is no way to understand what they are thinking. They might have the 63s as "special" models which may be offered just to high heeled buyers in europe.
    They probably will just offer them in Europe which is a shame. We've been cheated before. The C55, SL73, and E55 Wagon. The SL73 being a real monster. I just wish their engine plans were clearer, but I guess Benz fans will just have to wait and see. Anyone know when the next generation of direct-injection gasoline engine willl appear?

M
    SL73AMG was a massaged 4-valces-per-cylinder v12 cranking out 500hp. It sprinted the old SL from
    0-60 mph in 4.7 sec (Auto, Motor und Sport, August 2000). The superchrged V8 of the SL55 AMG that will be offered here Will not lack anything in performance, if not exceed it hence the more advanced chasis.
    As far as a SL63Kompressor goes, should they be in the mood enough to make, that would be a real monster, that would have the Maranelos, and Vipers for lunch any time
    Yep I guess we can always wish huh? The SL73 caused hysteria when I first read about it. I just wish MBUSA had been a little more open minded about the car. Now if I could just find a 1994 E500 in perfect shape......

M
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    With the downturn in the economy, I have decided not to purchase next year the 760, but instead sell my M3, and cancel the 760 order, but keep my S-class. I have a rare oportunity at the Porsche dealer to recieve in a few months a brand new 911 GT2 which I could not pass up. So I will now have the S600 and GT2 which should provide for the "best" of both worlds. I am waiting to see what the redesigned 2003 S Class looks like, but I will most likely not get it, but instead go for the 2004 model unless some great deal passes me by.
    Has anyone had the problem with the cd player starting over every time the car is turned off. I would appreciate what was done to correct the problem.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Anyone know of the changes coming this summer (2002) to the mid cycle update of the S-class? One UK auto mag says a redesigned front and completely new tail light design as well as interior changes and trims. Finally perhaps a new engine in Europe...Any info would be great.
    Have you considered a Brabus Smart car to compliment your fine selection of cars?

Definatly a fun cheap (looking at it in one way) car!

r
    Does a similar site exists for movies where Mercedes cars are featured? I am dissappointed that Mercedes affiliates have not thought of this, because it would help very much. After watching these movies in internet, I am kind of growing more fond of BMW cars than I ever thought I could be (and this pains me a lot, since I have been since I started appreciating cars, and continue to be, a die hard MB fan). But I have realized that, except the top of the line, BMW cars prove to be more attractive as an overall car than comparable MBs, e.g. 3 series vs C-class or 5 series vs. E-class (I hope the latter will change after the E redesign coming soon).
    Somehow, these BMW have made it in my list of preferred cars, which was previously dominated almost excluisvely by MB. I know I would never exchange the CLK for a 3 series coupe, is it is far better, even now in my mind, but I would take a 3 series sedan over a c-class with little doubt. Again, I never thought the day would come.
    So, Mercedes, show us what your cars are really capable of in a website named, lets say, www.mercedesfilms.com, where we can see some AMG products kicking some chasing terrorists' buts
  • mrman_3k1mrman_3k1 Member Posts: 52
    I do not think I will go for anything more right now, unless the market turns around and I have that "play" money for cars, otherwise I will "just" have to stick with what I have...LOL

Also, I really think Mercedes should do something like what BMW did with the BMW Films, or something else, but I do think those films are really well made.
  • midwestmbmidwestmb Member Posts: 7
    just traded the '00 E430W4 for a beautiful black/charcoal '01 S430...wondering what to expect in wintertime.

hey Drew, long time no chat...this is off topic but my wife just told me about a fun offroading experience in the ML this summer...when picking up kid from girl scout camp she went down a "road" to where the girls were and when she got to the bottom the people were like *You DROVE down here #?#?!@ What are you, crazy?" She picked up our daughter, hit Low Range, and drove right back up this dirt hill...said it was no big deal. Rock on MB!
This discussion has been closed.