Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Echo

Comments

• Options
    levine90levine90 Member Posts: 21
    Took a test drive today in a four door automatic Echo, not very far, but I was able to make a few observations. Kind of loud accelerating, but extremely quiet once you're up to speed! A very smooth ride for a compact car, and I didn't really notice any major cornering problems from the height or light weight. Extremely maneuverable, but this is coming from an 88 Tempo owner (hey, what can I do, I'm just 16 :p) so it's all relative I suppose.

One thing I did notice, though, is that out of the four Echos on the lot, three had cruise. From what I've read here, people are saying cruise control is not an option? The device looked almost exactly like the one on my mom's 99 Camry. Just thought I'd share this with you guys - it seemed real enough :)

Cheers,
    Peter
  • Options
    carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    The ECHO performance, comfort, visibility, etc.
    were really good for a small car. Performed much better than any of the many 4 cylinder with a manual transmission that we have owned.
    I hope your observation of cruise indicates that cruise is now a factory option.
  • Options
    seafoamdenseafoamden Member Posts: 6
    I just turned over 1000 miles on my seafoam blue echo (I've had it 2 weeks). I purposely drove about 10 miles out of my way so that it would fittingly finish the break in period on Pacific Coast Highway somewhere near Malibu's Paradise Cove.
    So far so good for this little car. I've actually noticed that it seems to ride smoothest at about 75-80mph. I've think I've finally gotten used to the auto trans and have learned how to use the overdrive off button for climbing hills, etc.
    Hoping to get my cruise control installed this week upcoming. So far I've been getting about 36 mpg in 70/30 freeway/city driving for the first two tanks of gas. Much better than our RAV4.
  • Options
    sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    Just to clear something up for potential buyers. Cruise control is still NOT a factory option. Any Echo seen with cruise control has had a dealer or third party installation.

Some dealer and third party installs can look very stock and professional, as some people have already noted.

P.S. I'm not in Italy, I just like the flag because it represents my heritage!
  • Options
    vitaminjvitaminj Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone. Is there something I should know about break in time? I hope I'm not supposed to be doing something special to my new car. I asked the dealer if I had to do anything in particular for the initial miles and he said no. Also, I found a small nick in the paint from driving on the highway, no doubt! You know how the front end of your car gets those nicks from the pebbles etc.......I can't take it! Where/how do I get touch up paint? Just from an auto place or is there someplace better?
  • Options
    tbonegrl7tbonegrl7 Member Posts: 1
    I am a *new* teacher, and I currently own a 91 tercel with only 73,000 miles on it which has been absolutley wonderful to me. (his name is Henry) I went looking at used tercels today, and just can't seem to decide between a 98 tercel (last year the tercel was made) and a new, or 1 year old used echo. Any ideas? Anyone out there a former tercel owner. I think the echo definitely is *different* looking, but I know I could grow to love it...and I figure if it replaced the tercel, it HAS to be great. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If I were you, I would go with the used Echo. It's a better handling, safer, more powerful car all around. Also, make sure the cars are certified used cars by Toyota too. They extend the warranty for a longer period of time.
  • Options
    bluedivabluediva Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Kneis1, I'm think I'm pretty much over my buyers remorse. I guess being a bargin shopper I just need to know I got the best deal. Plus I'm loving my car so much I have no time to worry about the price. I already put 250 miles on it in three days. I did have another question for you echo owner in cold climates. Does anyone else have that little blue light pop up? The book says its because the engine is cool. But I have to sit like 5 to 8 minutes before it goes away. This is my first car, does it take that long for a new car to warm up? or should I take it in to get that checked out? (it snowed here and its been like in the 30's). Thanks guys.
  • Options
    janbeejanbee Member Posts: 127
    The blue light comes on everytime for me, I believe it just means the engine hasnt warmed up yet...but I never wait for the light to turn off...I just turn the car on and go...you will notice the light turns off faster if the car is moving...the civic I used to drive took forever to warm up, the echo warms up in a flash!!
  • Options
    8k8mica8k8mica Member Posts: 19
    Have any of you guys put your car in the 3rd gear and really put your foot on the metal, Do you realise the VVT-i kicking in at 2500rpm, it kicks in and gives you this burst of power , really feels great, although I am trying hard not to run it in real hard.If you want to test drive this echo sedan, try pushing it past 2800rpm on the 3rd and you will feel the power of vvt-i
  • Options
    8k8mica8k8mica Member Posts: 19
    I live in the tropics , (singapore) and was wondering if you guys have tried any other tyres on your car except the standard bridgestones, how abt yokohama's anybody
  • Options
    kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    I have I very good set of Toyo tires on my wifes Accord station wagen which have like 50,000 miles on them and still have plenty of tread left. On their website they describe the Toyo 800 which has a tire wear rating of 700 (they claim 100,000 mile life). When the Potenzas go on the ECHO I'll probably go to them or maybe the new Aquatread 3's which advertise 80,000 mile tire life.
  • Options
    redechopodredechopod Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. Just wanted to report that i finally (after 3 months of ownership) took the ecopod on a road trip. I drove from San Francisco on highway 1 all the way to Santa Maria CA. Wow, what a beautiful ride! The views were amazing and it was extremely hilly. Despite the hills and many stops i averaged about 40-42 mpg. On the way back I took the very flat 101 direct route and got between 48-50 mpg!!! This is a great little vehicle! I am wondering if any of you know how and when to use the overdrive button? I think using this on the hills might have improved mpg.
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I had Michelin MXV4plus on my last car. The grooves are cut all the way down to ensure good dispersion for the life of the tire. They gave a very good ride without sacrificing much in performance-more GT than performance tire though. The only drawback is the price-$110 ea. The other tire I'm considering is the Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce. They have great consumer reviews and are inexpensive- $55-60 ea. Luckily, I don't live in snow country so traction in slush is not a concern.
    As far as 3rd gear I agree! Have always enjoyed the passing power. There is a HUGE gap in speeds between 1st and 2nd though. Once the engine is on the boil 3-4-5 is very satisfying. That's one of the reasons I wanted a 5spd...now if only they'd get on board and mate a 6-spd with the VVT-i engine!!!
  • Options
    edwarda1edwarda1 Member Posts: 18
    The one thing that concerns me about buying an Echo is there is no protection for parking lot dings. I have seen after market strips advertised , but $100.00 seems high.Any ideas about making some?
  • Options
    harlekharlek Member Posts: 8
    One of the biggest complaints about the Echo is that is moves around alot on the road, especially in winds. The day I bought mine I installed bigger rims and the appropriate diameter tires (used tirerack.com). However, for the winter months, I put my stock wheels back on. This weekend, I re installed my 15" rims. Not only do they look great, but from experience, I can tell you that they make a tremendous difference in handling. The impact of the road and winds on handling is far less noticeable with the bigger tires.

Something to consider. I actually have no problems driving my car with the stock rims, but the bigger ones really do make a difference!
  • Options
    vitaminjvitaminj Member Posts: 15
    My blue light goes on everytime too, and I live in Buffalo. My understanding is that it's supposed to go on. I don't wait for it to go off either, I just go. What I noticed though, is that the engine holds back a bit until the light goes off.
    I had a Tercel too. A 1990. It had over 137000 miles on it when I traded it in. I really liked it. It was very reliable. I've only had my Echo for a couple of weeks and it's fun to drive except for in the snow. I think it's me, though. I finally checked my tire pressure and it's normal. Maybe I'll invest in the bigger tires or the winter tires. MAYBE. I think I'd recommend the used Echo. When I'm having a bad day, I get in a better mood when I drive it.
  • Options
    koyoteeekoyoteee Member Posts: 17
    Bluediva, don't sit and wait for the blue light to go off before driving the car. It fouls up the engine, because the air/fuel mixture is overly "rich" when a car is cold, and by not driving it, you are depriving it even more of needed air. Besides, your idling car is getting 0 miles per gallon :) Crank the temperature control all the way up when the car is cold, and you should have heat blowing out quickly: the Echo has a supplemental electric heater to warm you up quickly - don't worry about the car warming up, it will take care of itself.
  • Options
    kneisl1, thanks for the tire advice. I don't know if the dealer rotated the tires or not - they said they balanced all 4 wheels, but the problem is still there. It's going back in tomorrow, so I will definitely get them to rotate the tires, and check them.
  • Options
    kaz6, thanks for your help on my vibrations question. The vibration I was feeling occasionally pulling away in first seems to have stopped. The dealer service guy thought it was one of the clutch plates not sitting properly. He said it would either get better or worse. So far, so good.
  • Options
    carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Buy a NEW ECHO and get the great Toyota factory
    warranty. ECHO retain value so it is wiser to buy a new one that has not been abused by someone else.
  • Options
    I saw my first other ECHO driving on the road the other day, a gold fourdoor. I was at a light and the Goldie went in front of me from left to right. I didn't see the driver (a vivacious blonde) notice me so I set off in pursuit and caught up with her when she stopped at the next light. I passed on the left as she was stopped and tooted my horn and she turned around and gave me a big smile and a wave! Of course she may have been waving at ME, but I think not. This is good...ECHO owners waving at each other. This happened in Westmont NJ. Anyone on the list?
  • Options
    jstricklerjstrickler Member Posts: 3
    This car has been great, lots of room inside, good preformace and is starting to get excellent fuel economy. However there is still an annoying rattle at idle. It seems to be the air intake housing vibrating when the car is at idle. It has already been back to the dealer twice. Has any one else had this problem?
  • Options
    redechopodredechopod Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone. I Had a question about Overdrive and when to use it. Is it just for hills/Mountains or are there other situations that it can be used. Mine is just wasting space on my Echo because i have no idea. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Kniesel i always wave to other Echos if nothing else it is good for a laugh!! I have been accused by friends of being overly dorky for doing this; )
  • Options
    My grandparents were from Newfoundland and when I visited there everyone waved to each other when in a boat on the water. Here in NJ when surfcasting from the Coastguard jetty in Cape May with a friend from the CoastGuard I waved to all the boats going by. This drove my friend nuts! People in the boats either ignored me or sheepishly waved back. This made me want to wave all the more. NJ is the state least likely to wave back at you. My best wave was last summer coming off the west side of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Moutain National Park on my motorcycle. A couple on a Goldwing was going the other way heading for Trail Ridge Road and I gave them a big thumbs up as we passed. They both waved back with huge smiles and grins. You gotta love it!
  • Options
    lynnann1lynnann1 Member Posts: 85
    If you're talking about the overdrive cut-off switch on the gear shift -- I use it when going up a steep grade or wanting to just downshift when I need quick acceleration. I think it's better and quicker than mashing the pedal to the floor when I need to downshift.
  • Options
    No waiving here in LaLaLand...they're to busy talking on cell phones! I do believe that when I rode my motorcycle, other motorcyclists felt more of a group apart from the motoring public and felt compelled to say hi...aside from having more fun than people in cars.
    Jstrickler: the only occassional rattle I've had is from the door-lock buttons shaking in their housings. The dealer said to have it looked at I'd have to leave my car overnight without benefit of a loaner! I'll never go back to that dealer again...in case you missed a previous post, this is the same dealer that made me wait 2 hours for a scheduled service visit for which I had an appointment. The dealer apparently sent my car to a local lube place as the window sticker was accidentally left on when the car was returned to me. :p
    As I've said before: I love my Echo and I hate the dealership!!!
  • Options
    thanks kaz6. My dealer has not been as good as I'd hope,( A few too many sloppy mistakes ie ford gm ... that sould have been easily attended to). I even purchased out of town because the local dealer was so bad. I know that they ALL can't be awful. It pays to find a really good dealer.
  • Options
    babyboomerbabyboomer Member Posts: 205
    Do I need to take my Echo to the nearest Toyota dealer for it's first oil/lube/filter?
    The nearest dealer is not the one I purchased it from and they have no idea
    who I am or what I have. I have always taken my cars to Walmart for servicing
    but thought there might be a reason to let the dealer be the first.
  • Options
    ECHO'S have no lubrication requirements, just oil changes. I'd use a Toyota oil filter as long as the car is under warranty. Toyota charges $24 to do this where I live. So I do it myself. Check the owners manual for required service.
  • Options
    echolaliaecholalia Member Posts: 20
    As of today, my ECHO has 20,750 miles and the
    engine warning light came on. I checked the ECHO manual and it says the following may cause the light to come on: 1. low fuel (I have a full tank)
    2. gas cap not tightened correctly (I checked the gas cap and re-tightened 3 times) .
    I checked all the engine and transmission oil levels, radiator fluid...all are within normal range. The engine is running smoothly. Before bringing my car to the dealer do you have any other ideas regarding the cause the engine light to come on ? I would appreciate. Thanx
  • Options
    You did everything you should have in this situation, very good! The only other possible thing you might do is inspect the air filter for being plugged with dirt and check around the engine compartment for loose vacuum lines or disconnected electrical fittings. Generally, when this light goes on it has something to do with emissions being out of kilter, and that USUALLY means something in the emmissions control equipment is at fault, such as an oxygen sensor or possibly the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. Take the car to the dealer by all means. They will connect a device to a connector under the drivers side dash which will interogate the cars computer. If the check light has gone on, the cumputer will store error codes: it is getting nonstandard readings from the sensors on the engine and it will record them. The mechanics will read these codes with the scan tool and determine what is wrong. Since you say the engine runs normally (have you been checking fuel mileage with every tank? And is it near normal?) there is probably nothing seriously wrong with it. I have seen cars run for years with the check light on, and run normally. Its probably emissions related. Good luck and let us know what the dealer finds!
  • Options
    My last car, a Ford ZX-2, had a check engine light that would not go off and the dealer could never figure out why. The first reason they came up with was a bad oxygen sensor. The second time I brought it in it was a fuel sensor. The third time they couldn't find anything wrong(the computer had a false read). Make a long story short, I drove the car another 12,000 miles with the light on before dumping it to get my Echo.
    One other thing that could cause the light to go on is bad fuel. Kneisl1 is right; take the car in as it probably isn't anything serious and if it is it's best to get it corrected. It should be covered by warranty at any rate.
  • Options
    sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    It doesn't help when you chronically abuse your Echo either. Doesn't surprise me you keep getting more and more problems!
  • Options
    csackcsack Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the Echo as an option for a new car. This will be the first new car I have ever bought. I want one of the manuals, and I want to keep the price under $10,000. I looked at the review on this site and it sounded really crappy, even though I've heard some good things about the Echo. Is the review accurate? What can you get in it for under $10,000? Bottom line - is it a good car to get?
  • Options
    john294john294 Member Posts: 56
    I also read the Edmunds review on Echo and see that it isnt too good as far as having to pay extra for upgrades like ABS,air bags etc ,driving price from 10k to 15k,also the handling doesnt sound to good in pass posts .Would you owners recommend a Echo or not? If you could change would you have gotten something else,(honestly).I like the gas mileage ,also looking at honda civi or hyundai.Thanks
  • Options
    krakatokrakato Member Posts: 30
    YES! Get an Echo and ignore the Edmunds review. All you have to do is go back in the archives and read the thousands of messages posted on this board to see that 99.9% of us are enthusiastic and very happy owners of the Echo. We love our cars. My favorite feature is the high seating position, but in addition to this, it is roomy, zippy, easy to handle, extremely fun to drive, AND it is a low emissions vehicle with great mileage. I have a 4-door silver automatic and have had no problems -- even survived being hit in the side by a reckless Nissan. Car protected me well and repaired as good as new. With its commanding seat position it towers over the Civic or Hyundai in many ways IMHO. Try one out and see if you like it!
  • Options
    krakatokrakato Member Posts: 30
    Forgot to answer your last question! Yes, if I had to do it all over, I would buy my Echo again in a heartbeat. I've never been much interested in cars except for utilitarian purposes, but all that changed when I bought an Echo -- I'm now a total Echo-enthusiast!
  • Options
    Here! Here!
  • Options
    After many months of research and a very hectic final hour tossing options around, I picked up my two door, manual Electric Green Echo. It's got A/C, CD, Rear Window Defog and the alloy wheels for $12,500 or therabouts. We got in on 1.9% financing, so a 48 month purchasing deal clocked in at under $200 a month, which I think is an incredibly good deal for a brand new Toyota!

I'm 17 and this is my first new car - my first car at all in the stick shift variety, and I'm having loads of fun. The clutch is probably going to wear out a bit quicker than average, but it'll be worth it :) I like the 'notchy' gearbox - it lets me know what's going on down there! I've slipped from second to fifth a couple times, but now that I know what's what, I don't think I'll be making that mistake again. The power is pretty nice on it, as well - I beat a few cars at stoplights, and I was even bearing the break-in limitations of the car in mind!

The one thing I wish I'd insisted on though was power steering. It's incredibly hard to move the wheel while making turns - I guess if nothing else, it encourages me to keep both hands on the wheel and will give me great forearm muscles when I'm done! Is there a way to install an aftermarket power steering system?

Other than that, great car. Love the stereo!

Cheers,
    Peter
  • Options
    echolaliaecholalia Member Posts: 20
    and feedback. I will bring the ECHO to the dealer
    to have them take a look at next Monday. I'll keep you up to date on what will happen.
    In respond to John294 and Csack questions ...I would not recommend you to purchase an ECHO because I had so many problems with mine ... I have a lemon ECHO:(. My car has 20,800 miles and I brought my car to the dealer 3 times already for its problems prone. Next Monday I will have to bring it for the fourth times.
    Here are the list of problems that have been taking care by the dealer and also the ones that have been addressed to the dealer but they could not fix them.
    1. Noisy hub caps ( replaced with 4 new hub caps under warranty)
    2. Popped out plastic wheel lip covers on both side of cars (glued back by dealer under warranty)
    3. Defect windshield wipers (replaced under warranty)
    4. Clunking noise come from steering column at low speed at turns (dealer could not duplicate the noise...still a problem)
    5. Engine knocking even under slight acceleration (dealer asked me to use higher octane but noise still persist with 89 octane fuel)
    6. Too many rattles from the dashboard (will address to dealer on next visit)
    7. At 20,750 miles engine warning light came on (will address this problem to dealer on 3-26-01)
    I may consider trade in for a Camry. I love the driving position of the ECHO but beside that too much quality problems. I have owned several Toyotas and one Lexus and they have all been great except this ECHO.
  • Options
    Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new Echo (same color as mine)!!
    I had my heart set on getting a Focus ZX-3 but decided to test drive the Echo...it impressed me enough to sit down and endure the sales process!!
    Would I recommend it? YES! Would I do it again? Absolutely!! The only things I wish it had are center armrest and an available sport suspension set-up...the suspension is an easy enough fix.
    Funny how car magazines reamed this car for having centrally located gauges...has anyone noticed the flagship Beemer roadster and the new 'Mini'? For the Beemer, Car and Driver calls it 'retro'... I'm not saying that they copied the Echo but I do know bias when I read it! I love the placement of the instrument pod especially at night!!!
  • Options
    seafoamdenseafoamden Member Posts: 6
    For those of you who posted and are considering an echo I'd highly recommend one. I test drove a civic, a sentra, a saturn, and wound up with the echo. The seating position is great for a compact car and I've been more than happy with the acceleration and handling. I've driven down some pretty twisty mountain roads and have felt perfectly comfortable with the way the car handled them. Also- the cargo capacity is huge for a car this size. I'm a musician and was able to get a fairly large guitar amplifier, two guitars, and a fairly sizable gear bag into the trunk no problem (without having to resort to the folddown rear seats). I really don't know why the Edmunds reviewers were so harsh. I've really been enjoying my echo. I think echolalia, who is having all the problems is a rare exception (I've actually never known anyone who has owned a toyota to have that many problems). I'd say go for the echo.
  • Options
    mnorasmnoras Member Posts: 3
    Well, it happened. Last Thursday I had an accident with a deer. Average size one. Windsield, front part of the roof and driver's door damaged. Deer got killed. And I am OK, just had been sprinkled with some glass. Sounds like sad story but I am happy that nothing happened to me. Fortunately I was driving slow - 30 mph - it happened ar suburbs of town: houses, businesses, lot of traffic. Dont know where that deer came from. Just bad luck. Wish a better one to you all.
    Maciej
  • Options
    ez0128ez0128 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Echo fans,

Thinking about getting an Echo. Noticed that it does NOT equipped with power windows or cruise control, which may make long distance driving or driving in extreme weather somewhat inconvenient. How you guys handle it?

Is it possible to get them as dealer added options? Or add them after market?

Thanks for any feedback.

EZ
  • Options
    In the 2001 Echo manual, there are several pictures that show power window buttons and their operation, which indicates to me that somewhere, somehow, there is at least one type of Echo with power windows. You may have to do some hunting to find it, but I'd think it exists.

As for cruise control: at least down here in the south, SouthEast Toyota or the dealers put a very professional looking cruise control on the majority of the automatics. I'd think that other regions would do something similar. If not, aftermarket cruise for the Echo is relatively easy to get from what I've heard on these boards.

Cheers,
    Peter
  • Options
    Yes, the manual does have illustrations of power window controls; it's probably for the overseas models-Yaris and Vitz. They all share common parts and the overseas versions seem to be equipped with a whole lot of goodies as there is no equation with price and size as there is in North America. Micro and Mini cars are fashion statements in Europe and most come with every creature comfort imaginable! Too bad this country is so ignorant as to assume cars are valued by the pound and not the engineering.
    Maybe if Toyota sees enough interest at the consumer level for power access. they will make them available. Send those letters! :)
  • Options
    cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    Went over 30K miles today on the odometer. 40.4 mpg on the last tank. That's with an automatic. Will call my local dealer tomorrow for 30K maintenance. I wonder what it's going to cost? I'll let you know.
  • Options
    I thought I had a rattle in the dash. It has been in to the dealer twice already. From what The mechanic and I can figure, the rattle is coming from the air intake housing. The housing vibrates like crazy only when the engine is at idle. The housing was replaced on my last visit but the rattle is still there although much less now. I think the problem may be with the rubber mounts not dampening or the idle is set too low?
    Please let me know what the dealer does to get rid of your rattle...... good luck.
  • Options
    dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Left Nashville TN with a full tank and got to Panama City Beach, FL when low fuel warning light finally came on at about 480 mi. With a 10-20 mph headwind all the way down and heavy rain the last 1/2 of the trip, I bet I could get 500 mi. plus out of a tank on the freeway easily. Probably about 46-47 mpg during this trip. Speed about 64-65 mph. Cruise control worked well throughout the 1300-1400 mile trip.