Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Damn 56K connection, you beat me to it! :)
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    Lets light in like a regular sunroof. Nice here in MN when you aren't going to open the roof. However, for those two weeks a year when the weather is heaven on Earth, I'll pay the $900 to open the roof.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    why not just make the SR std.

lich-I'm in MN and open my SR periodically in winter on balmy days.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    The sunroof is great in the summer, particularly for cooling down the inside temp of the car after it is parked outdoors under the hot sun. Once you open the sunroof, you can literally feel the hot air rushing out through the roof, which allows you to cool the car down at least 5 times faster.

To better regulate in cabin temp., I wonder why the auto makers don't put in electrochromatic glass windows which dims (tints) the glass automatically depending on the amount of outdoor light and temp. If this feature is mass produced, the incremental cost should be nominal. May be they are already offering this feature in high end luxury cars, does anyone know?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    are available on some cars (at least I remember seeing them - maybe it was just on a show car). Trust me, you don't want them (yet). They cost well over $1000 to replace. Your radar det. will not work through them ;-). They also don't go completely clear, and this may be the reason they are not yet widely available. Believe it or not, a viable alternative is gold plating the interior of the glass. It cuts way down on heating of the interior, and actually is not that expensive (not much gold is used). Still violates the current laws - not a "clear windshield" technically.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    that a window radio antenna wouldnt work to well with the electrochromatic windows either.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Anyone that thinks AMG and Nissan automatics have anything in common has a serious case of wishful thinking. I've driven the C32 and E55 and, notwithstanding my personal preference for manual transmissions, those are the best performing true automatics I've ever driven. They are exceptionally fast shifting and there is no discernable slippage or hesitation under hard acceleration whatsovever.

By comparison, the 4-speed automatic version of my 1995 Maxima SE was barely 1 rung up the ladder from Fred Flintstone's car. The performance difference back in 1995 (and through 1999) was huge.

The only reason the 2002/2003 4-speed automatic equiped Maximas closed the gap with the 6-speed manual in performance was the added torque of the engine. Essentially, the 3.5 liter FWD Maxima with a 6-speed is overpowered beyond what can be effectively used. The extra torque did help the antiquated 4-speed auto, however.

IMO, if you put Nissan's 4 speed automatic up against its 6-speed manual in a RWD platform, the 6-speed would seriously outperform the 4-speed auto. I'm not sure if the new 5-speed automatic in the 2004 Maxima is any better, but clearly, IMO, Nissan's automatics are it's weakest link. They are no match whatsoever for the BMW "steptronic" (let alone the semi-manual SMG) or the AMG "sport-shift". Those automatics give up very little to their manual counterparts in performance on a RWD car. Even Acura and Infiniti offer much better performing automatics (5&6 speed) Nissan.
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    What kind of long term damage can happen if I run my 2K Maxima SE with 87 octane?
    To clarify, I was suggesting the Nissan Automatic was more similar in therory to the AMG unit than BMW's SMG unit. I intended no statement of quality.

Regarding Octane: I noticed on my '04 Maxima SE rental that premium is now only "recommended" for maximum performance. A co-worker has run 87 octane in his VQ Pathfinder with no noticable damage. He says it does perform better with preimium, however. My opinion would be that engine management systems are sophisticated enough to detect the quality of the gas and adjust performance accordingly to avoid any damage to the engine.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Nissan recommends premium fuel in their Maximas model. Using cheap 87 octane in a Maxima is not a good idea and I would not try to see if the knock sensors in the engine are reliable enough to retard timing in time to save the engine from damage due to knock or pinging. Use premium fuel and quit speculating what might happen.

Back in the eighties many BMW owners got their fuel injectors fouled because for some reason these people would buy the cheapest fuel that could find anywhere, and apparently some of that fuel was mixed with larger than permitted percentage of ethanol. So not only it matters what octane, but also where do you buy the fuel. I would stay away from nondescript discount places. Stay with good quality major brand fuel and you will save yourself potentially a lot of headaches later. I get 27 MPG combined using premium fuel in my 98 Maxima and I never used anything else but brand name premium fuel. I would never go to regular 87 octane to see what would happen.
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    99.9% of the time I use premium fuel, Mobil-Shell-Sunoco. I average 18mpg which is mostly city driving. I also have been using the remote car starter which could add to the poor gas milage. I installed a "Tornado Air" which helped slightly. Premium fuel is about 1.81 a gallon. 20 cents less for regular. I live north of Boston. I guess I was having a moment of weakness at the gas pump and I wanted to save a few bucks and use the cheap stuff. Thanks for the advise.
    Ah, my favorite subject. The octane rating, to me, is important, but not as important as how they get it.

Ethanol in the fuel, in my experience, is a "good thing" (up to 10%). The fuel burns much cleaner, all other things being equal. It also mostly eliminates the need for gas drying additives, because it is just that. There is less energy in ethanol, so you will get slightly poorer mileage. Downside to ethanol is the gas station must be careful with their underground storage tanks, as the ethanol can absorb water from the air and support corrosion of their storage tank.

Some fuel gets a higher octane rating by adding tolulene. This is a "bad thing" in my opinion, because it burns incompletely, leaving lots of carbon "soot" in the engine (requiring frequent "decarboning" cleaning sessions - check around with service centres - they will explain the need and how it's done).

What we really need is "low sulpher" fuel. The sulpher can take out the O2 sensors (expensive). It also causes deposits in the engine, and they are much harder to remove.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Three months ago I visited the Yosemite national park in California. The price for premium gas charged in several small towns some thirty miles outside of park was $ 2.99 a gallon! Talk about price gouging.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    there is a difference between rquired and reccomended. if you use regular in a maxima, it will adapt. since nissan doesnt 'require' premium, they cannot hold the driver accountable if somthing goes wrong with regular.
  • mugsy5mugsy5 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone own a Black Maxima with the burnt orange interior? Do you like it?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    That combination would be great on Halloween!

Seriously, if you like it, go for it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Its your car, go with what you like.
    The reason I asked, they found the car I want with the exception of the interior. I don't wish to order and wait 8 weeks for delivery. I have'nt seen the car yet and was looking for an opinion. It's a Black Maxima SE, elite package, VDC, sun roof, xm radio. Thanks for response
  • los2fastlos2fast Member Posts: 9
    I am thinking of buying a 2004 Auto SE and want to know people's opinion on torque steer. Is it that bothersome or uncontrollable?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    It ain't that bad. If you hammer it from a dead stop you'll notice it, but really only then do you notice it. It'll jump a bit from side to side, the steering wheel will, while the car kinda hops as the front wheels are spinning. If you drag your car all the time from stoplight to stoplight it could be an issue, but if you're a normal driver you won't even encounter it. Certainly isn't enough of an issue to base a decision to buy or not buy the Maxi on, contrary to some auto mags that make big deal out of it.

My .02. I have a 2000 SE auto so it's not an issue for me.
    I rented an '04 SE with the 5spd. automatic for a week. The car has torque steer because it has a lot of torque.

Like ccmack said, if you stomp on the gas from a dead stop or rolling start, hang on. As weight transfers to the rear, you can feel the front tires having trouble holding on. However, if you apply, steady, progressive use of the gas pedal, the torque steer is minimal and the accelleration still outstanding.

Traction control on the automatic or the limited slip differential o the manual is supposed to help with the torque steer.
    Found the car today with black interior and bought. eom
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    FWIW, Money magazine (are they car experts?) has listed the 2004 Max as the most disappointing model of the year. They basically think it's not sporty, not luxury, and not worth the extra money over the Altima. The Acura TSX was their car of choice.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    That's the same guy that ripped the max when it came out. you'll never please everyone.

Here's his original article from April

http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/22/pf/autos/nissan_maxima/
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...it's amazing how Money mag knows the 5 year value of a G35 coupe. Man, my '99 G35 was a great value! ;-)
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I have a 2001 Maxima (GLE). Has anyone tried replacing the donut with a full size spare? Does it fit?

Thanks!
    The balance of Mr. Ulrich's comments are subjective. IMO, the Maxima is a
    great choice for me because I need a large, comfortable family sedan.
    Something the G35 isn't. I'd never buy the Altima over an Accord because
    the exterior style isn't right with those rear lights and the interior is
    just plan SUBPAR. Stylewise, I got at least three complements and even more
    admiring glances on the looks of the rental Maxima I had for a week. I
    don't imagine this would happen with an Accord. So, the Maxima is the
    Nissan for me.

You know, Car and Driver made a lot of the same comments that Ulrich did in
    their first review, particuarly regarding the 6spd. and throttle response.
    At least Car and Driver acknowledged that the car they drove was a
    pre-production model. None of the subsequent reviews I've seen have
    mentioned this issue.
    I can't comment on the 2001, but in my 1995, a full size spare would fit diameter wise, but it would protrude up above the wheel well by about 1-2". Makes for a bumpy trunk. I looked into it briefly, but got discouraged when I couldn't find a cheap steel wheel that fit (didn't try too hard). Fortunately, in 146k miles of driving, I've only had two flats, both close to home.

I recall seeing somewhere where Canadian laws prohibit mini-spares, so perhaps there is a Nissan full size spare wheel that fits flat in the wheel well. I doubt Nissan would design Canadian trunks differently than US ones.
    habitat1 - yes, thanks for your comments.

I wonder if the Canadian wheel well is designed slightly differently. Has anyone else tried putting a full size spare in their (US) Max?
    I don't know of any Canadian law that prohibits the small "fake" spare. I've had cars with them (Subaru and RX-7). They sell the RX-8 here without a spare.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    There is no law in Canada against mini-spares but there are more manufacturers who put full size spares in their cars in Canada. I have no idea why. The 2000 Maximas did come with full size spares in Canada except for the SE with 17" wheels which did come with a mini-spare because the 17" wheel would not fit.
    the same issue is with the '04 max with the full-spare. it protrudes higher than the rest of the trunk. nissan made the cover for it to contour this, but its still bumpy. no way around it.
    Anyone know how the '04 Maxima SE does in the snow?

We've got 6 inches here in Minneapolis, so its a question on my mind today.

I may venture out over lunch for a test drive before the side roads get too clean.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    it has the same Potenzas the 03 had, my advice: HANG ON!! :)

I live in Grand Rapids (MI, not MN), and I actually took delivery of my 03 Max SE this past March in a blizzard. It's slow going to be sure, but I didn't get stuck.

This season I'm going to see how it goes, and maybe swap the Potenzas out next fall if they're too dangerous.
    Goodyear RS-4s or something like this...
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    anyone know if there are any 03max's still in dealer lots?
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    There was an 03 with 784 miles listed on a website at the Deland, Fla., Nissan dealer recently. Don't know whether it is a demo or what. I think the dealer is asking somewhere around 22K for it. You'll have to check dealer by dealer in your area to find out, but it's pretty unlikely there are new ones remaining. The 04 has been out about eight months now.
  • kp40mkp40m Member Posts: 19
    I'm curious if my MPG is typical for a 2003 GLE (automatic). I drive 75-80% highway miles at 70 to 75 mph. My MPG are almost always a tad under 23. I tried driving 70 mph for one tankful and even then my MPG was only a bit over 23. I'm curious because I meet a 2003 SE (automatic) owner when we were both filling up with gas and he mentioned that he is getting close to 27 MPG on mostly highway driving (calculated, not via the trip computer - which is consistently about 3 MPG high on my car). We both are using brand name 93 octane gas in the Northeast.
  • joe_hjoe_h Member Posts: 1
    got a 99 Nissan Maxima and my SEL just went on. the garage did a diagnostic and came back w/ bad Knock sensor and something w/ ignition signal. this puzzled them because they've never seen a bad knock sensor. I found you folks and see that this isn't that uncommon. I called my local nissan dealer and he says it isn't knock sensor at all but probably a bad coil on one of the cylinders - if they can't figure out which one he'd have to replace them all at $80 a pop w/o labor. does this sound right?
    I am ready to buy a 2004 SE and I am wondering what the going APR is? I talked to a fleet mgr and he said the best rate he could get me is 4.14%.

Does this seem like a goos rate?
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Kyle, I presume you are a knicks fan and lives in NYC. Why do you want to buy an 03 Max knowing that the HIDs are favorite targets of [non-permissible content removed] thieves? One consolation, Nissan is giving 02 and 03 Max owners in New York and New Jersey free HIDs fixes -- data dotting the HIDs and adding stronger metal bracket -- which presumably will deter theft.
    kenny... good job outta ya! you were right on both accounts.. from NYC and a Knicks fan... actually, i have 2000 maxima and since my gf's going thru issues with her 01 jetta, she's thinking about getting a 03 maxima.. she lives in CT so the HID's are not an issue.. even if the car was for me, it wouldnt be an issue cause i have a garage..

to tell u the truth, i think one of the reasons why i want her to get the 03 maxima (i might get one myself in a couple of years when they come off of lease) are the HID's.. but i just can't see myself paying $1500 to install them on my 2K GLE
    alright, this has probably been beaten to death..but my 2k maxima has 41k miles on it, exactly 3 years old. I've had my rotors resurfaced about 20,000 miles and now at 41,000 miles, they are terribly warped. Here's the kicker, my brake pads are 75% left in the back and about 50% in the front.. 35,000 of 41,000 miles are on literally on highways from NY to CT.. there is no way the rotors should have warped by now..

do you think i have a case with the nissan service dept (getting the work done on warranty, or getting new rotors) given how this is the second time it has happened (i know about the tsb), and how little the brakes are used.
    I think you have a case with Nissan corporate. Apparantly, they redesigned the brakes from the 4th generation Maxima. I have a 1995 with 147,000 miles and I have never had to have the rotors resurfaced even once.

If I were you, I'd go through the dealer to get to the Nissan represntative and push hard to get a full set of new rotors free (under warranty). And if they don't give you any satisfaction, I might go so far as to looking into some sort of class action. It seems like I've read a lot of posts such as yours that suggest Nissan took a big step backwards in the engineering of the 2000+ Maximas.

Based upon my fear that the Maxima has gone downhill in terms of build quality and reliability since the 4th generation, I would consider the new TL 6-speed as a possible FWD replacement, when the time comes. I would never have said this, based upon my superb experience with my 1995 SE, but your story resonates. Feel free to print this post and show it to your dealer, if it helps to make your point.
    the rate on maximas is not an incentive rate, therefore, your rate will be determined by the lending institution based on your credit. if the dealer has pulled your credit bureau, then you got a better rate then i have seen in months. if they haven't, then take that rate with a grain of salt, and have them pull your credit.
    I've pretty much resigned to the fact that I need my rotors resurfaced (or new rotors) every 10-15K miles. My car is 2001 GLE. Oh, and same with me - little pad wear, generally.
    It sounds to me like you guys should have a look at "The Tire Rack" aftermarket brake rotors. $210 to $245 for non-Nissan rotors may fix this problem. If you're really into good brakes, for the small sum of $2495 they will sell you Brembo disks and calipers that are larger than stock. All this front only, of course. I don't like messing with the rears as most kits don't have the "e" brake capability. Also, the rears only provide 5-10% of the braking for the car, so they rarely cause problems.
    I am about ready to buy a an 04 SE but the car at the dealer has over 207 miles on it already. This seems high to me for a new car, should I be concerned with all the test driving this car has withstood?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    207 is high but not ridiculously so. If I liked the car then I'd buy it with 200 miles. But that's about my acceptance limit - any more and I'd look at a different car.
    if you're not getting a discount on the car with 207 miles, whynot get a different one?

i would never let anyone sell me a car that's "used" for the same price as one that's new.. ~8 to 12 miles on the odo. they basically used that car to let others test drive (in my opinion, that's used) on your dime...

but that's just me and i'm real picky about things like that