Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    I have yet to see an Intrigue exactly like mine though. Black with chrome wheels, gold badging, PCS, and a dark grey interior.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    There are five Camry's at my office out of about 30 vehicles. 3 prev gen, 2 current. Two are the green with plastic wheel covers. The rest are grey or white.

We also have 5 Civics and 3 Corollas. I drive the only domestic sedan of recent (1995 or newer) vintage. There is an Alero coupe, Dakota, and Montana though. It is a young demographic (I'm average or a bit old at 29), and domestics don't do well in that segment here.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Took my 99/3.5 in today. coolant light has been coming on periodically. Plus, I've been having the headlight dim issue and fluctuating blower speed on the ac.

I had the alternator replaced early this year with #10464395 GENER REM 2.275.

Picked up car this afternoon. Paperwork say's:

LOW COOLANT LIGHT INTERMITTENT. RECOVERY BOTTLE A BIT LOW. TOPPED OFF COOLANT RECOVERY BOTTLE. PERFORMED PRESSURE TEST, NO LEAKS FOUND.
    #12346290 COOLANT 8.800.

LOW ALT VOLTAGE OUTPUT. PERFORMED AVR TEST, REPLACED ALTERNATOR ASSY.
    #10464395 GENER REM 2.275.

BATTERY LEAKING ACID. REPLACED BATTERY. PERFORMED AVR TEST.
    1 78-7YR BATTERY.

I don't know why they keep using the same alternator. Don't care for now, it's costing them money. Have 15K on car and 1.5 yrs left on warr. Next time I'll insist on the re-re-re-re-designed one. They must be trying to deplete inventory while they can.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    vcjumper : You are paying WAY too much for insurance. Are you married? I'm married/33 and paying under $1100/yr. Try Belair Direct, they are pretty good. I get my insurance through my old company still, but Belair was almost the same price.

mosaix : The deals on 2001 GXs left are really good here also. Cash price is advertised for C$23,990 (about U$16K). Can't go wrong!
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    in all 2002 GM cars, as mentioned in CBC (tv).
  • Options
    Single. Hmm maybe buying a ring for her is cheaper in the long run :-). I've got a bunch of online quotes tonight and the cheapest I've found is $1800+3% tax. Tried Belair, got quoted $2100.
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I never had any luck with the online quotes from Geico and Progressive. They were about 2 to 3 times what I pay now, which is about USD$700/yr for the Intrigue with State Farm, full coverage.

Whatever happened to etharmon?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I also pay around $700 for my 2000 with State Farm. I'm sure it would be more in a major metro area.

Prior to buying my Intrigue in April, I never saw any (or at least I never noticed.) Now that I'm driving one, I see them all the time.

When I was shopping, there were at least 10 2000 Intrigue on 4 different (GM) dealer lots. I'm pretty sure they were all ex-rental cars (as was mine.) All were GX models in either white or silver, all had 22-29K miles, all priced about the same ($16k). The National Rental Car sales outlet had 4 99s but were out of warranty due to mileage.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Try Prudential insurance. I was with State Farm, which was about $600 more a year.
    I did increase my deductibles though.
    They also have a big multicar discount.
  • Options
    My insurance went down a little when I got married, but not that much. Just under C$1100 all in sounds about right with exchange if others are paying U$700.

You sure you have a clean record vcjumper? I would call the MTO and make sure nothing got on there by mistake. I can't believe you are paying that much.
  • Options
    Gas is on the rise. Glad I don't have one of those Hondas that needs premo fuel.
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    redline65 ::: does not really matter whether it is regular or prem. the prices still went up .50 cents for everyone. For some people that hits the ol' pocket book a little hard, 40% is not chicken feed.

And I'm glad I don't own an SUV or truck.
  • Options
    We are up to 70cents/L from 60 cents/L this past weekend. That's over 16%!! Ouch!

Gas companies are gouging big time.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Over here in souteast PA I'm getting $1.39 for regular at Wawa (a little cheaper in Jersey). Everyone else is selling for about $1.49.

Speaking of gas, has anyone found that their Intrigue is particular about where it dines? I was using Mobil in the 3.8L with no problems. I put that in the 3.5L and it shakes and rocks like it's going to blow up. Different stations even. Went to Wawa and it purrs like a kitten. Saves me a couple of bucks too.
  • Options
    I had a bad experience one time with crap gas [ruined the engine & I could not prove it]. I now try to buy all of my gas from the same one or two companies or a major brand company. Here in the mid-west it Phillips-66 for me.

Plus one other thought, I prefer new locations that have NEW tanks. Old stations tend to have a lot of sediments at the bottom of the tanks.
  • Options
    one2one ::: will the 3.5 run on prem or is that a owner's manual NO-NO??

Do you think it might perform even better, using higher octane or would it be a waste of money??
  • Options
    Intrigue likes regular anything from Esso, Shell, Petro Canada or Sunoco (the big 4 in this area). Some of the independents have bad gas, but there a few in this area that sell decent gas also. Only really bad gas problem was once when I was up north. Engine seemed a bit rough, but it went away with the next tank. One wonders what was they added there. Scary stuff!
  • Options
    Funny you should ask. I took it in to the dealer who told me that the vibrations were "normal". In my printed problem report (I try never going to the dealer without it. The translation of a problem gets watered down from the time it leave your lips to the time the tech sees the car) I pointed out that I changed brands and octanes with little different result. He informed me that I should stay away from high octane, particularly 93, as it will foul the injectors over time.

Don't know how true it is but having had injectors replaced on a former vehicle I owned, I'm sticking to the owners manual.

But the car turns into a rocket with 93!
  • Options
    I was a little down that I would have to stop using Mobil. I LOVE SpeedPass. Quick, convienient and it doesn't show up on the credit card for two days :-)

Not many Shell stations around me. The Mobil I used was/always is in a price war with Sunoco across the street. I'll make them my second choice. The big ones where I am are Sunoco, Mobil, Exxon in that order with a Texaco sprinkled here and there.
  • Options
    As I was crusing into work today I noticed some differences between my '99 Intrigue and my '01.

Ride: Very subjective. My wife likes the ride of the '01 better than the '98. She says it's more comfortable for long rides and feels more like a luxury car than the '98. Myself (and speaking as the driver), I don't feel the '01 handles as well as the '98. Keep in mind, the '98 was a base. So it didn't have the Autobahn package. The '98 felt like it was riding on rails; the '01 has a nicer ride quality but it's obvious what was sacrificed to obtain that. I actually enjoyed the firmer ride of the '98. But don't get me wrong... it's still a blast to drive. Maybe putting on the Pilot XGTs will make a difference since I was riding on them for the final 40k miles. Body roll is more pronounced in the '01. The '98 cornered flat as sheetrock.

Noise: With over 3400 miles on the car, I've had a chance to evaluate the noise level. The '01 IS quieter. I can even see the sound deadening material btwn the front door and front quarter panel over the wheel well. Either I didn't notice it on the '98 or it wasn't there. In any case, there's a difference.

Steering: The steering was tighter on the '98, which is probably what helped give it that "riding on rails" feel. Apparently Olds toned the car down to appeal to buyers of more conservative midsize cars. It still handles well. I guess the reasoning is that if you want more precise steering response, get PCS. Mosaix probably can't relate to anything I've stated thus far because he has PCS; I do not.

Comfort: Lumbar support was actually better in the '98 than the '01. The headrest problem where it would constantly slide down has been fixed.

Misc: The remote fold-down seat release that was in the trunk in now gone. However, they have added an inside trunk release in case you get "jacked" and tossed inside. The trunk is much, much easier to close. My wife must have flooded their fax machine :-)

Overall: If you haven't driven both for extended periods, you won't be disappointed either way. Believe it or not, I do miss the 3800 sometimes. Actually, if I was asked which one I wanted, it would be a toss up. But I would be leaning toward the 3.5 because of it's highway performance. Below 60mph, I'd give my left arm for the 3800. After that, I'd sell my soul for the 3.5
  • Options
    I have never been able to find 93oct. fuel, the most we have around here is 91. And I've heard that 93 is really only geared for the true sport cars [hi-performance types, if you know what I mean].

Then I take it, that anything above 87 is a NO-NO.

Lumbar support; I did not recall having any in my '98 GL, was this available on a GLS only. This one area ALL of the NON-LUX models could GREATLY improve on, w/o a lot additional cost. Definitely a back backer on long trips.

Glad to hear they've helped the some of road noise problems, I found it a bit un-nerving when I did NOT have the BOSE system cranked-up
  • Options
    There still is no adjustable lumbar support. If I'm not mistaken, it is available (manual) on the Grand Prix. But the stuffing they used in '98 seemed to be better than '01. I have a bad back; so for me a stiff lumbar was good. Some who rode with me thought it too firm. That's probably why they softened it up.

Yes, road noise had been reduced. Believe it or not, I sometimes ride on the (concrete) Interstate with the radio off! Not Lexus quiet, but it doesn't sound like the window is cracked or the door is ajar.

Sunoco is the only brand that I know of that sells 93 octane. We've got them all over here. In fact, on the blvd, there is one right across the street from the other. And one has the nerve to be 10 cents higher!
  • Options
    Read the issue with the CTS first drive today. They complimented it pretty much all around, noting it along with the Vette and Focus are the American cars that get funner to drive as you go faster. Only part they weren't too fond of was some interior trim pieces.

They like the 02 Altima a lot, and the huge power the 02 Maxima has now, but say the Maxima now feels pretty lame around corners after driving the Altima.
  • Options
    Go back to the CTS 2003 thread and read my response to your post #1480.
  • Options
    jamatksjamatks Member Posts: 3
    While researching my purchase of a 99 Intrigue I read town hall messages where people were having problems with a noise coming from the rear of the car. They likened it to a "bowling ball rolling around in the trunk". Does anyone out there remember this, and if so, what was the problem and what was the remedy. I am hearing a noise like that in my intrigue...very pronounced. thank you
  • Options
    racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    If it is a howling, (like a bowling ball rolling) and you hear it when you apply the brakes, especially during the 10 -> zero mph range over rough pavement, there is a TSB for it.
    ===================================================================
    99-05-23-003 - March 1999

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a moan/groan type noise coming from the rear of the vehicle that is heard in the vehicle's passenger compartment. This condition
    is most apparent during moderate brake apply; when the vehicle is slowing or approaching a stop and typically does not occur on a brand new vehicle.

Cause
    This noise may be generated at the rear brake pad/brake rotor interface during a brake application, which is transmitted into the vehicle's underbody through the rear
    suspension components.

Correction
    Replace the existing rear disc brake pads with P/N 18023377, following the service procedure in the Disc Brakes sub-section of the Service Manual.
    ===================================================================

Takes less than an hour to fix.

Good luck!
  • Options
    How many miles on your Intrigue?

I always thought you get that squeek when your pads are going.
  • Options
    I had a feeling it was the Intrigue ;-)
  • Options
    Anyone know a site that has these for various vehicles?
  • Options
    There used to be a brochure that olds put out that had a comparison of the intrigue against the Taurus, camcord etc.
    The intrigue with the 3.29 axle was noticeably quicker than other midsize cars except for the SC regal and grand prix.
    I think they broke it down into 30-50mph and 50-70 mph times.
    they also should have done a 70-90 mph time.
  • Options
    Go to http://www.intriguecar.com and go to the comparison section. You will see the performance number you seek there. Intrigue performs VERY well compared to other midsize sedans.
  • Options
    Go to http://www.intriguecar.com and go to the comparison section. You will see the performance number you seek there. Intrigue performs VERY well compared to other midsize sedans.
  • Options
    OSV that we will never see. Had GM kept Oldsmobile, this would have made an excellent attainable image car, much like the Grand Prix GTP is for Pontiac.

Alas, it will never happen.
  • Options
    I would like to find the body kit in that picture. Does anyone know where it is available from? I'm thinking about calling my dealer's parts department to see if they have it. I want my forest green Intrigue to look like that one!
  • Options
    "Ain't it cool!"

Ok, where's that from?
  • Options
    The OSV cars were done as one-offs by GM and outsourced specialty shops. Don't think you'll have any luck having the designers of the kit resell what they made (GM probably had them sign something to that effect).
  • Options
    jamatksjamatks Member Posts: 3
    This concerns post #4284. Does TSB mean technical service bulletin or something like that? Is the #99-05-23-003 whe number of the service bulletin..I would ask my local dealer to look up that bulletin and make that repair on my car. Is that what your telling me.

racerx9 thanks for the help JAMATKS
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Inspired by other posts, I spent the big bucks and ordered the Service Manual for my 2000 Intrigue. WOW what a load of information. I still have not been able to determine whether Intrigue GLS has low tire pressure indicator and heated side view mirrors. More research is required. At least if I have trouble falling asleep, I won't have to resort to over the counter medication. Htwired in Milwaukee
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Q. Anyone know what Oldsmobile and REO Speedwagon have in common?

A. REO (Ransom Eli Olds) Speedwagons were early 1900's fire engines. When the band was looking for a name, REO Speedwagon is what they found
  • Options
    vcjumper ::: ouch, $900 smackaroos for no real good reason. Shopping around, are you talking cars or a new insurance company?? Have them double-check their records, to make certain they did not goof on some type of filing error.
    Also sounds like your insurance company may be in bed with some of the OIL guys.

Talk about a spike. Prem. gas here [mid-west] was 1.45 (US) two weeks ago, and it is now 1.95. It jumped .25 cents in one day (2 times), .35 in one week [those money grubbing illegitimate baby boys]. Gas prices have more up & downs then a roller coaster ride, there is no real sound reason that it can't stabilize and rise at some type of normal inflation rate pace.

And oh, what a surprise all the big oil companies are recording record profits. They can't just make a "fair profit" they've got to get greedy and gouge the heck out of the poor consumer. Cause what choice do they have, ALL the stations prices go up & down at the same time.

Can't believe that the censor patrol step-in as I had to repost this deleted entry. Because, because I used the shorter "B-word" for "illegitimate baby boys". Opps, talk about your ruffle feathers Batman, sure hope I did not offend anyone.
  • Options
    readly_one : I saw that on VH1 Behind the Music a few weeks ago. Is that where you got it?
  • Options
    racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    "This concerns post #4284. Does TSB mean technical service bulletin or something like that?"
    Yes is does.

"Is the #99-05-23-003 whe number of the service bulletin..I would ask my local dealer to look up that bulletin and make that repair on my car."
    Yes. If you are having the symptoms as described, tell your dealer the number and he can easily find it.

Let us know if this fixes your problem.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Dindak: yes, just saw REO on behind the music tonight

Question...Why is there a picture of the OSV Intrigue on the GMbuyPower site? I did a search on the Intrigue, and on the initial page there was a picture of the OSV. But, There weren't any models that looked like it. That would be GREAT!!

Has anyone seen a 'Tropic Teal Metallic' Intrigue? The online picture is...well...interesting
  • Options
    Left turn signal indicator started flashing quite quickly tonight on the way home when activated. Front amber light not flashing when signalling left (stays constantly on), rear signal light flashing as briskly as the indicator. Any ideas?
  • Options
    My impala has done that a couple of times. They can probably replace the relay or controller by the fusebox.
  • Options
    You're turn signal/DRL light is out or about to die. I had that happen on my old Intrigue, the left turn signal no less. It flashed quickly. Later it seemed to fix itself. Within a day it started again except this time the bulb was blown.

For less than 10 bucks you can get the pair of bulbs and replace it yourself. It's super-easy.

Just lift the white clips holding the light assembly to the car. The assembly comes right off. Remove the rubber circle. Reach inside, twist and pull the burnt bulb out. Reverse steps to put assembly back.

I recommend replacing both bulbs at the same time. If one went, the other is sure to go in the near future.
  • Options
    The easy way to see if you have heated mirrors is to look on the driver's mirror. If you have 3 squiggly arrows in front of a square, you have heated mirrors. Wish they hadn't dropped them. I love that feature.
  • Options
    Just ordered my wood trim kit from the Wood Dash Factory. Will post before and after pictures once I get it done.

Also checked out Joshua Tree Wood Trim. They say their kits are OEM equipment for some manufacturers. They didn't say which ones but looking at their prices I believe it.

Wood Dash Factory was $252 for the burl wood I purchased(they have other wood and materials that are cheaper). That includes $10 for next day delivery. Joshua wants $337.91 for the same 30 piece pattern. That DOES NOT include delivery but does reflect a 15% discount. Not to mention the burl is an additional 10% more than the quoted price. They were not always this high. But I assume as they got more popular they could charge more.

• Options
    Oh that Tropic Teal Metallic color is horrible! I guess they replaced the forest green with it. Why couldn't they have used polo green?