Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• ong2000ong2000 Member Posts: 19
    I want to order new C320 with xenon light, but the dealer told me that I have to add the option c4 with it, is it true ???
    The salesman said, if I don't want to add the c4 then I can't get the Xenon light. Some advice please ??

Joe
  • mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Xenon lights are listed on mbusa.com as a stand alone option for $850 US. Didn't need them when I purchased so don't know what the dealers offer.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    My C320 was delivered May 30 with Xenon lights. In order to have the Xenon, I had to take the $800/850 package with headlamp washers and heated seats -- both of which I will never use -- but I wanted the lights enough to throw away $850 plus tax. My dealership's owner contacted the factory in Germany and was not able to have the car built with just the Xenon. My C320 brochure states that when getting the Xenon, the C4 is required.

Miki
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Didn't we discuss using the headlamp washers as gags for unsuspecting motorists or passerbys ;-)

As for the heated seats, you can use them after a hard weekend of partying/dancing too! Sort of like a heatpad for your lower back and your own "seat" :-)

BTW, the Xenon headlamps should be aligned by the dealer using a special device that can measure the light output/level. It's not very complex at all. There are not really any strict rules in the US regarding these Xenon lamps, no more than the usual lamps and definitely much less so than Europe which requires the headlamp leveling + washers with these HID lamps. It is more likely that your dealer said that just so they can't be held accountable in case you get a ticket for these lamps being too high.

Of course, because they have a sharp cutoff (i.e. very distinct separation from the lighted area to the dark area above the beams) this can be an issue too if the lamps are aimed too low since there is very little stray light for you to see further up ahead. Perhaps you can use this argument too if your dealership declines to raise them just a bit? If you haven't already noticed, the headlamps have auto-leveling, which basically makes them "hug" the road when going uphill/downhill so as to not blind oncoming drivers.

Regarding the oil change, your local Walmart should have Mobil 1 15W50 in 4.5 Quart containers. If they don't, they should be able to order it for you. Your engine requires 8.5 Quarts, so you should have 0.5 Quarts left over from the second bottle. You can either drain this 1/2 quart out and store it so that they don't overfill your crankcase (the computer will tell you if it's overfilled), or they should return 0.5 Quarts of the oil back to you after the service.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    >Didn't we discuss using the headlamp washers as >gags for unsuspecting motorists or passerbys ;-)

Indeed we did -- but such fun would be at the expense of my pride and joy's beautiful complexion.

>As for the heated seats, you can use them after a hard weekend of partying/dancing too! Sort of like a heat pad for your lower back and your own "seat" :-)

As long as you mentioned it (I have been wanting to do so for quite a while) -- women's seats do not get as cold as that of men :) Really!! Proof of this provocative statement: Watch a man warming up standing in front of a fireplace -- then watch a woman. The man stands with his back to the fire, hands clasped behind his back; the woman faces it with arms in front hugging herself LOL

Now that I have given you the above information one cannot do without, I do thank you for all of yours. When I go to have the lights adjusted I will be armed and ready for them. I got the idea they wanted to make me happy. No, I did not know they were auto-leveling, but I notice that when I get off the freeway which is where I am always driving at night and onto my street that I can the see the light square the Xenon produces -- something that would be annoying if seen a lot.

Appreciate your telling me about the oil, amount of quarts, weight, and what to look for as leftover. I don't have a local Walmart, so it will have to be Pep Boys. Perhaps I will call and have them order ahead as you suggest when the time comes.

Miki
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Even better is to turn the jets around so that they point towards the front

:-)
  • ong2000ong2000 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Miki, Joe
    Joe -- you are most welcome.

Miki
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    A dealer in my area has two (2) new wagons as of today. Base price is $38,450 w/o destination.

Here is a link for the 02 ordering guide for the C class for those that want option pricing:

http://content.communities.msn.com/CLKOwnersDiscussion/PhotoAlbums?Page=5

• bbilly11bbilly11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys I have a 95 C280 very low miles 33000 very good condition. I wanted to sell it and get a new one. Any idea the best place to put the add. Any good website..I thought if I sell it on my own I might get a little more.

What do you think of the new C-Coupe?
    thanks
  • chuckj2chuckj2 Member Posts: 3
    I know we discussed this issue about 2000 messages ago but I'm looking for anyone's experience with the new key reprogramming process. I've been waiting for a month now for new keys to arrive. I just returned from the dealer to see if they were in (second time)and he tells me that there have been 2 "new" key recalls during this period and he's still awaiting the arrival of "fixed keys". I noted there were over 25 "C" owners on the waiting list as well. My tech also said MB has advised that the reprogramming may take up to 24 hours for the new keys. Anyone been through this nonsense yet??

On a lighter note there was a new wagon and 2 new coupes on the lot. Not crazy about the coupes back end and the cheezy interior look but sure would like to have those ponies under the hood of my 240. The wagon is real handsome if you're in the market for an estate vehicle.

I still REALLY like my 240 and am having a blast with the 6 speed (glad I didn't go with the auto). Planning a 10K mile journey in August (provided I have keys to start the car).

Any info would be appreciated. Any SC "C" owners out there?? Chuck in Charleston
    One month ago the dealer ordered me a key and it took 5 days, last week they ordered me another and quoted 5 days again.
    >One month ago the dealer ordered me a key and it >took 5 days, last week they ordered me another >and quoted 5 days again

Mark,

Since this has happened to you twice, do you suppose it could be possible that the problem is with the car's computer programming config rather than defective keys? Just a thought.... and probably a weird one at that!

Miki
    I read on one post where the dealer replaced both the keys and the key switch in the dash to finally fix the problem. Not a weird thought. I believe MB is having a quality problem with their keys. Not irritated enough yet to escalate.
    Relax Ian, no Desert Silver C-classes ;-) Just two black C320s this time.

As before, a more pictures of these two cars + details over in the C-class owner's club Photo gallery topic:

drew_ "MB C-Class Owners: Photo Gallery" Jul 16, 2001 3:44pm

Drew
    Host
  • twofourtwofour Member Posts: 6
    I took delivery of a C240 in mid-March and love this car, especially with the 6 speed. I have to nit-pick to come up with negatives EXCEPT for the standard front seat backs. I am surprised and disappointed that both upper back and lumbar support is not there. A 2 even 1 hour drive will give my wife and I lower back stiffness/soreness (I've never had a back problem)I had to roll up a towel and put it between my lower back and seat back bottom. I know the seats can't be changed but does anyone know of a quality,slim orthopedic cushion that will work. Greatly appreciate any help.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I sure hope the insurance companies aren't scouting these crash photos.

I'd never seen a picture of the new C with those AMG wheels (second picture), it looks good. Anyone else have them? Can the C accomodate a wider tire than the stock size?
  • kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Why wouldn't you want the insurance companies scouting the photos? The C holds up nicely, so your insurance should go down in cost...I looked at ML crash photos for 2 years before getting it :-)
  • jrdh23ajrdh23a Member Posts: 10
    My daughter has a 2000 C230. I would like to get a built-in phone, but the dealership wants $1500 plus installation charges to put it in. They also tell me that the phone for the 2000 model is a different "mode" than the 2001 models----but that it would be a mistake to use any phone (other than a handheld) except a MB phone. Can someone give me some insight on what to do here! Thanks.
    >Not irritated enough yet to escalate

Where the 320 is concerned, I must remember your profound statement. I sure escalated with the Black, but I made up my mind not to do so with the Obsidian. So far so good. It diminishes the joy.

Miki
    >Relax Ian, no Desert Silver C-classes ;-) Just >two black C320s this time.

Whaddya mean JUST two black C320s this time! ;-)
    I have found that Obus makes the best support pillow for back support. All of the following sites are for these pillows, but they are presented differently.

http://www.comfortliving.com/obus.htm

http://www.sitincomfort.com/bacandsup.html

http://www.obusforme.com/products/lowback.htm. Look at their Driver Seat Series #20, 21, 50, 51 -- the others I think are massage.

I use for driving their BM01418 Black Obus Seat. It does not have a back but works great for me.

I use for my computer chair that is too deep the Black low-back BM01518. I have, but do not use the Black side-to-side BM02613. The colors are black, blue, Burgundy, grey, and the model nos change with the color.

These are specially engineered and work well.

Miki

• cticctic Member Posts: 291
    I betcha Drew can tell you where you can pick up 4 AMGs for cheap.

Drew, what's with all these C-crash pictures? From what you can see, are all luxury cars equally represented or are just C-class drivers particularly bad?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Just to follow up on a post a while back. My AM reception was almost non-existent and the dealer had to replace an amplifier to remedy the situation. If anyone else is suffering from the same problem it is a quick and easy fix. The reception is now MUCH better, in fact, it is better than the reception in my wife's E.

Regards to all,

JR

PS - my C got "popped" in the rear but not nearly as bad as those pics. It still hurt though, and the entire bumper had to be replaced. Found a great body shop, recommended by the dealer, and all is well again.
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    The interesting thing about those photos, in the second one, although the front end is completely smushed and mangled, the windshield does not appear to even be cracked, and I can't see even an inch of penetration into the cockpit area. Speaks volumes for safety. And to answer ctic's question, I don't think these pix show that C-Class drivers are particularly bad -- only those C-Class drivers who own black ones.
  • mjvincoloradomjvincolorado Member Posts: 1
    Looking at buying the CLK320 Coupe. Have a couple questions hope someone can give insight to. The CD Player/ Phone Option - why is it $1800? I don't need another cell phone, but you can't get the CD Player without the cell phone. Was thinking of foregoing this option, and getting the CD player at a auto stereo place. Could do better than $1800.
    Any feedback from Coupe owners? Trying to decide if a year wait is worth waiting for the convertible. Drove the coupe and sure like it.
    Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...is a dealer-installed option. Dealers are notorious for trying to gouge you on this item, but there are competitors out there who are willing to sell the unit at a reasonable price.

So no, you don't have to buy a phone you don't need to get a CD player in this or any MB. And good luck finding a "stereo place" that will touch this car with a ten-foot pole...you can get all kinds of FM broadcast CD players for this or any car, but doing it right with the fiber connections is another matter. Beware.
    Looking at buying the CLK320 Coupe. Have a couple questions hope someone can give insight to. The CD Player/ Phone Option - why is it $1800?
    Ans: Because the dealer has 4 kids in college, a waterfront mansion, a luxury yatch, 4 cars, and vacations twice a year.

I don't need another cell phone, but you can't get the CD Player without the cell phone. Was thinking of foregoing this option, and getting the CD player at a auto stereo place. Could do better than $1800.
    Any feedback from Coupe owners?
    Ans: When I bought my C a few years back I refused to add the CD player for the same reason. I bought the OEM CD player from www.clairparts.com for a few hundred bucks and installed it with my friend in 5 minutes. I saved myself mucho bucks and my dealer had to make do with a trip to Aspen instead of the Alps.
    Oh yeah, my car came with fibre options also. It's just plug and play. There was some erroneous information from the dealer that you'd need to go to them to use their computer to initialize the software or something like that. But that was not need for my 99'C. You only need a screwdriver to install the CD player holder. The fibre option connections and power are just snap ins.

Worse come to worse, if you can't install it yourself, take it to the dealer and have them install it, or catch a technician on break and slip him $50 to do it, or get a outside MB shop to do it, or in the worse case scenario return it to clairparts minus the stocking fee. Feel lucky today?
  • jerry320jerry320 Member Posts: 27
    You can get a Mercedes original CD changer for 2001MY at autoclass.net for around $400, and bring it to your local dealer for installation. I paid $125 for installation(labor charge only); however, make sure you get the mounting kit and fiber cable when ordering the changer. There is also a Bekker unit that works with your new Mercedes, but the "Random" key will not function and it is harder to install.

I put 18" OZ wheel on my 2001 C320. 18x8/235-40-18 front and 18x9/245-40-18 back. Noticeable improvement in braking and cornering.
    In order to install cd changer into the glove box, all face panels need to be removed. The fiber cable is plug and play, but not many of us knows how to remove a/c control pads, radio unit, center wood trims, arm rest, trash bin, glove box unit, and put them back in accordingly afterwards. It took me two visits to my dealer for installation, and they also offer a one year warranty with it. Not a bad deal after all, and it was fun to watch when they disassembled the whole console.
    Yes, my C was a '99 and the CD changer was installed in the trunk. The new C CD changer is completely different!

Can't cheat the dealer out of this yatch payments and ski trips can we?

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    What would life be like without the original "Edition C" key ring and the matching pen set featured here?
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I can imagine the repair costs on these crash photo cars. Also, the less people crash with their MBs, the lower the loss statistics are for that particular car, and that means lower rates for every owner.

Why would they make the CD player so difficult to install? Even for the dealer, it has to be a pain...
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    >>I put 18" OZ wheel on my 2001 C320. 18x8/235-40-18 front and 18x9/245-40-18 back. Noticeable improvement in braking and cornering.

Jerry, where did you buy your wheels and did you have any problems with the 18" tires rubbing against the insides of the fenders? I am considering 17" with AMG wheels for mine. Tirerack.com is the only placed I've shopped so far. Also, did you sell your stock rims and if so, how easy was it to do so?
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    I noticed that there was discussion about Xenon lights? Has anyone added the xenon lights later on (aftermarket or through the dealer)
    The tires don't rub at all. You can use 18x8 for all four with 225/40/18 to be sure. However, wider tires will improve the looks. If you do get 18x8, you might consider lower it (especially the front) or use a spacer (for the back only). I am planning to get H/R springs because they provide a better ride than other brands, and lower the car by 1 inch only.

AMG wheels are actually manufactured by OZ. AMG puts a logo on it and marks up the price. You can get exclusive AMG 17" for C32 at autoclass.net, but they are very expensive. I brought my wheels directly from OZ, and tires from tire rack. You have to get someone to mount and balance them, and may need to bring it back to MB dealer for re-alignment. Most of my local dealers charge $79.95 for four wheels alignment. Try www.ozwheels.com, they will sell you wheels at very low prices, and no sales tax if you are outside of Florida.
    ...are not an item you add afterward, through the dealer or anyone else, unless you want to spend an enormous amount of money [well in excess of $1k would be a wild guess]. The xenons use different amperages and thus a completely different wiring harness from the halogens; parts and labor at the retail level would be prohibitive unless you have very deep pockets; it is not a case of swapping bulbs, but swapping electrical subsystems at a significant level of complexity.
    Actually, it may not be as difficult as you think. For the M-class, for example, the ballast and ignitor is built into the Xenon headlamp itself. To switch, all you need to purchase is the Xenon headlamp assembly and a pair of wiring harness adaptors to switch the pin-outs. You don't even need the wiring harness adaptors if you're willing to swap the pin-outs yourself (all that is needed is a soldering iron and the proper specs).

Out come the entire halogen headlamp units, and in go the Xenon ones. You then need to bring in the vehicle to the dealership to get them to properly align the Xenons with an optical device. That's it! What you do lose compared to the factory option, are the headlamp washers, and the auto-leveling system. Cost is about $1200, not bad considering that the Xenons, from the factory, are $875, plus the fact that you need to order the $3500 M-class Sport package in order to get them (this is changed for MY2002 though, due to the new front bumper design).
    http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

Xenon headlamp retrofits are also available for the E-class, which also has headlamps with the integrated ballasts and ignitors. I haven't seen the back of the HID Xenons on the C-class, so I have no idea if they're integrated like all of the other cars. However, I have a strong suspicion that they are like the rest of the MB lineup.

PUMA Access is the authorised Hella retailer that M-class owners are purchasing their headlamps from, so they probably have a lot more information on whether a swap is possible for the C-class, and if there are any other parts required. If I bought a C230K coupe, this would definitely be the first thing that I'd investigate since Xenons are not offered in N.America on that model.

Other vehicle manufacturers don't go to the expense of integrating the ballasts and ignitors into the headlamps, so you have to find a spot to drill and mount them + any special wiring from the ballasts/ignitors to the Xenon bulbs. This is a situation that I would definitely not want to be in.

Drew
    Host
    The advantage of having two C-320's in my life is that I know if both do the same thing it is generic -- if one does it differently, there could be something wrong. I knew the Obsidian had windshield distortion the first time I drove it out the driveway -- the Black did not have distortion or I would have noticed.

Now, to the temperature. It seems as if the Obsidian temp gauge runs a bit higher than the Black, so I want to check this out with others. Driving normal and not traffic congested, the gauge reads approx 90 (halfway between 80 and the line marker which would be 100) This is where it usually stayed on the Black most of the time. When driving Obsidian in congested traffic, the gauge reads about 98 approx (stays a little below the 100 marker) Rarely, if ever, did I catch the Black that high.

How does this compare with other 320's out there?

Because of past bad experiences with cars overheating, I am very sensitive, not to mention uptight, to temperatures.
    Miki
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    Jerry - Thanks for the wheel tips. I will check out the OZ site to see what they have to offer. What brand of tires did you go with? I understand the Bridgestone SO3 pole positions are very highly rated.

Miki - After close to 2000 miles I don't recall seeing my temperature gauge rise that high. I actually checked the gauge two days ago while in traffic and it was right around the 89 mark and around 85 or so when the car was moving. Since my wife has commandeered the car for now, I will verify this information later in the day to make sure my statement is accurate. I bet I would have noticed if the gauge had read close to 100.
  • matthew23matthew23 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I haven't even owned the car a month, and I already have two ugly black scuff marks in the interior -- one on the plastic/vinyl part of the seat base right near the door, and the other smack dab in the middle of the glove box. I've rubbed at them with with a damp cloth, to little or no effect. Any suggestions for cleaning? Thanks.
    Well, Drew, I still consider $1200 to be over $1k, and that is still more money than I would pay for a xenon conversion, but to each his own.

I would certainly take care to get the sanction of a dealer in any such swap, because if something goes wrong, the results, if handled outside of warranty, could get exponentially expensive very fast.

Look, I like the xenons, but don't understand paying this kind of money when the combination of standard lights with fogs do a pretty fair job of getting you where you need to go. It is also a mystery, like so many other mysteries associated with the way the Germans do business, why this needs to cost anything at all on these cars when Honda can do it on the TL, CL, RL, etc. for too little to consider charging extra for. At the factory production level, if this adds more than $150-200 to the cost of the car, I'll eat this computer...
    My temp is usually at 90 close to the coast. When I went up
    to Pasadena last week it rose to 100 in traffic.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    Following a member-guest golf outing yesterday, I was admiring a fellow golfer's new (900 Miles) CLK-320 convertible in the parking lot. When he set out to leave, the engine wouldn't start. Everything else worked normally when the key was inserted and turned, but the start sequence didn't start. Turns out this was the second time that this has happened to this guy - the first time, the car was out of commission for a week while a new ignition key module was flown in from Germany. We called Mercedes on his TeleAid and got a prompt, courteous, and concerned reply, but the best they could do was send a tow truck. The CLK-320 key setup appears to be identical to our C-classes. By the way, he waited 14 months to get his convertible.

Tom
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    The latest issue of The Star magazine (July/August) has an excellent article on engine operating temperatures and the tests MB conducts in the Nevada desert.
    I'll try and post some of the technical details (very interesting analysis) at a later time. If there was some way of linking to the magazine article online...
    Mark -- it seems as if yours reads about the same as mine.

Ian -- thanks -- if you ever find a way to link to The Star, it would be interesting to read the article to which you refer.

Nanky -- would appreciate verification of your numbers, since our kids are twins. :)

Thanks all.

Miki
    I have Yokohama AVs on mine because they are cheap and will last little longer than others. Pirelli P7000s are also very nice. If you can use 225/40/18 for all four wheels, try Yokohama Prada. Prada tires have an unique tread design, but they are directional.
  • mofo01mofo01 Member Posts: 7
    I have the C for 4 months now and I want to clean/condition the seats. I don't have full leather option. I was wonder what product do some of you use.....Can I use MB leather care? Thank advance for any helps.
This discussion has been closed.