Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Changed this filter last night and good thing. I don't think it has been replaced since the car was new... 60,000 miles later it was black with leaves, bugs, you name it. Car smells like new now ; )

Took all of 15 minutes. I would recommend it.
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    is designed NOT to shift into OD until the engine coolant reaches about [?] 180 degrees.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Just replaced the air filter on the 2000 and what a pain. The intake box is so difficult to move around and replacing the plastic housing a true pain. Any suggestions?

The cabin filter is a piece of cake to replace the engine., whew!
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    Put in a K&N filter then you don't have to do it as often...No easy way to avoid a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] task...
    is designed NOT to go into OD until the coolant reaches [I think] 180 degrees. Both my '99 and my '02 work that way.
  • kdawg79kdawg79 Member Posts: 26
    I have never had the tranny on my 98 GS do that. I have had every other kind of problem with the car but nothing with the tranny. One recomendation I do have is to ignore the fluid change schedules in the owner's manual and do them more often like you use to with older cars.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    27,000 miles on my '00 GS and the right rear passenger window will not go down (from either driver's master switch or passenger's switch). First significant problem. What a pain to have to go to the dealer and leave my car while I spend $50 on a daily rental.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I see where the '04 Pontiac GTP engine is now rated at 260 HP instead of 240, with 280 ft-lbs of torque. Has anyone heard if the '04 Regal GS will be getting this same improved version of the S/C 3800? I wonder though why the engine torque stayed at 280 ft-lbs, instead of increasing to say, 300 ft-lbs. They must have improved the exhaust flow and/or are using a smaller pulley to get 20 more HP.
  • hobasilhobasil Member Posts: 7
    Hello everybody,

I came across a 1999 ex-opp white Lumina for 5 thousand Canadian. It has the 3800II, 4t65e transmission, recaro seats, stiff suspension, H rated tires(max speed 130mph) and the odometer says 147k km (92k miles). After taking it for a drive last week I found no apparent flaws such as pulling to one side, engine whine or rough shift points. To my surprise when I check the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid, it is showing bright pink fluids which indicates the fluid is fairly new.

What do you have to say about this folks? The price is right and the car is in relatively good shape, I know it would be hard pressed to find a late model vehicle in the 5000 dollar (CDN) price range, and this one has the 3800II in it which is a big plus. I have always enjoy the power the 3800II outputs, and its smoothness and reliability. Anyways, I would like to take the car home next week unless somebody comes with a convincing reason for me not to.

This is my first time car shopping, I would appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance.

Basil
    Better to ask why HONDA has a 3.[?] V6 putting out 260[?] HP WITHOUT either a supercharger OR high-test gas [good mileage, too] and GM is STILL flogging the [very good in its day] 3800! C'mon, Buick, why not buy the HONDA engines until you can build the better engine we MUST have?
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Have you looked at the torque rating of that Honda engine, or where it peaks? It isn't some amazing feat to get 260 hp out of 3 liters. What is amazing is to get strong hp and retain strong torque. GM does that all the time (with great mileage to boot), but since the hp numbers aren't the largest, nobody notices. If you prefer a car that sounds better on paper, or that gives you horsepower bragging rights, but you don't care about the actual total power an engine makes, then you should probably just start buying Hondas right now. In my opinion, GM makes some of the best powertrains around.
  • y2112yzy2112yz Member Posts: 19
    OK, Here is my two cents worth on this horsepower and torque postings. First, most people never use all of the horsepower in an engine unless you punch it from a dead stand still or punch it at highway speeds. Second, most people drive in city traffic, where you will be using more torque to get your vehicle up to speed than horsepower. Yes, it is a combination of both in some regards, but more torque than anything. Yeah, Honda can get 240 HP out of a 3.0L, but the torque on it is pretty paltry in my opinion. If you notice most of the imports have higher HP than say GM, but the 3800 and the S/C 3800 do have the highest torque rating I can find in a V6. That is where all of the work is being done. It is nice to have the best of both worlds, which is why I like S/C 3800 in my 01' GS. I will take a hit on the horsepower to get more low end torque. The other thing is, would you actually notice the difference in an engine say a Nissan at 255HP vs. a Buick at 240HP?? Probably not. Everybody can choose what they want to drive, I will take the proven reliabilty in the ole' push rod V6 from GM anyday.
    Someone name atbear, in the "Chevy Impala 2004 Redesign" discussion group, answered my question about the new '04 Pontiac GTP engine. Here is his answer:

"It's a new engine (well, sort of!). It's the Series III 3800, instead of the Series II 3800 in the new GTPs. There is a new higher efficiency supercharger, throttle by wire, and a few other features. The HP goes up as you see and the torque probably does to cause they're related (it's probably underrated), but the tranny is rated at 280 ft/lbs of torque, so instead of designing a new tranny, they just "didn't" raise the torque numbers. The new engine should rock!"

I would think the new '04 Regal GS will also be getting this same great engine. After all, the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS have share the same engines in the past. Anyway, let's hope so.
    GM's 4 speed tranny is actually rated at a maximum 300 ft/lbs. Threfore raising it any higher only puts additional strain on the tranny with no performance gains.

While the interior of the '04 GTP looks 'refreshing', I see no mention of the car having a GPS system. Its time GM wakes up and realizes it needs to provide this option on its mid-size cars. Camry and Accord have a GPS system as an option. How can GM expect to make a dent in that market if they don't play 'follow the leader'? Also...where's a 5 speed automatic?
    Keep in mind that the torque peak can stay the same while the torque curve changes. The horsepower peak occurs well north of the torque peak, so if the torque curve is raised only in certain parts, it will raise the peak horsepower rating but not the peak torque rating. It does raise the total torque though.

I believe the efficiency increase for the S/C comes on the upper end which is where it usually fell off. Sure, it spins faster, but the engine is also requiring much more air. So this is where inefficiency is likely to show. So it is quite likely that the lower end of the torque/power curves are little changed or unchanged while the upper end of the curves are raised.

As far as the tranny, GM Powertrain rates it at 280 lb-ft. But they don't have separate ratings for the 4T65-E and the 4T65-E HD, so it is unclear which that rating is for. But mainly, why would there be no performance gain from raising the torque? It isn't like the tranny can only transmit 280 or 300 lb-ft. It's just all it can handle. Like if you had a crank rated at 400hp. If you put it in an engine rated at 450hp, it wouldn't limit the engine to 400 somehow. It would just break eventually. You would still have the performance gain of that extra 50 hp right up until the crank has enough.

Also Bushwack, GM does have GPS in cars. It is called OnStar. I think what you mean is a navigation system. I have a feeling that they are not as popular as they seem. Sure, the auto magazines always test cars with them, praise cars for offering them, and then curse them for being such a pain. If you've used one, they tend to be annoying. How many times when you drive do you not know where you are going? And how many times do you change something on the radio or climate control? Nav systems make getting directions easier and changing radio and climate settings much harder. So it makes sense to design for the common case. The common case is using the radio or the climate control. If you really need directions, push the OnStar button and deal with the rare inconvenience of not having the maps show up on a screen (as opposed to the everyday inconvenience of your radio controls always showing up on a screen).

The Aurora has had a nav system available for 2002 and 2003, and I have yet to see a car so equipped. And believe me, I check out a lot of Auroras. I also search GM Buy Power a lot just to see what is out there, and have never seen one built with it. Maybe it is just my area, though, but I suspect my area would be more likely to get a nav system rather than less likely (DC metro area). On the forums I attend, one person has the nav system. I really don't think people buy them much.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    verdi- yes, in its day. You won't sway the domestics crowd.
    Thanks for the info about the new Series III motor. Looks like the engine would benefit from a high-flow air filter because of the high air intake required by the new S/C. However, no one has answered my question, which is, will the new '04 Regal GS also be getting this same great engine. As I said before, the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS have shared the same engines for the past 7-8 years. Any thoughts?
    As far as I know, there is no new Regal for 2004. It is a carryover, and thus I doubt it will get the Series III engine. But it does seem like all the 3800 cars should get it for 2004, doesn't it?

I'm hoping that the Regal will be redone with one of the high feature V6's when it is redesigned (likely for 2005).
    You'd think all cars equipped with the 3800 Series II will get the new Series III. Not so with the '04 Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS. Apparently GM didn't want to step on Pontiac's toes. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the Series III will be offered for the two Chevy SS cars and the Buick GS of the future.
    Yes...I was referring to a navigation system and not a GPS like OnStar.

I differ with you in that Nav systems are popular and provide a great benefit for the driver. I also have a new LS 400 w/ a nav system and I can't imagine buying another car w/o a navigation system. If your driving consists of runs to the market and movie theratres, I see your point. But otherwise,...
    jpstax, I doubt GM is protecting Pontiac's toes in that the Regal isn't getting the engine. The W-body got redesigned/updated for the '04 GP. The new engine goes with the new platform. The Regal will continue to ride on the current/old W-body along with the Impala and Monte. So I'm sure they will get the engine when they get the new W-body. Although it is possible they won't go on the W-body, or that GM will match the new high-feature and high-value engines up with the new W-body in the future (they aren't ready yet). The redesigned 3800 may just be to buy a little time to introduce the new engines. Since the new GP came out first, and before these engines were ready, maybe a quick redesign of the 3800 was a temporary fix. I have a feeling the 3800's days are limited...

Bushwack, I don't want to tell you a nav system isn't useful. If you like it, that is excellent. But I don't just drive to the market and theater. But I almost always drive somewhere that I know how to get to. Do you often find yourself driving to places you've never been and aren't sure how to get to? Also, what is your experience with the radio and climate buttons? Are they a bit harder to access, or not really? Thanks!
  • lioness116lioness116 Member Posts: 6
    I have a '95 Buick Regal GS that I purchased used. The paint on the roof of the car is peeling away from the primer in big chunks. It seems as if the paint is no longer adhering to the primer. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I never said that Buick wouldn't want to step on Pontiac's toes by installing the new 3800 Series III in the '04 Regal GS. I only said that Chevy wouldn't want to step on Pontiac's toes by installing it in the '04 Impala SS and '04 Monte SS. I still feel the Buick Regal GS deserves this new engine, as does the Pontiac GTP. It shouldn't take that many modifications to install it. Or am I wrong in this assumption?
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't get to stop by and check as much as I would like. Kdawg79, what all went wrong with your car? Mine has passed the 60,000 mile mark on the odometer and I was curious what your history was with the Regal.

I got the chance to run this tranny problem by someone else who owns a '00 GS, and he's not had any of the problems I've had - winter or summer. Maybe coolant temp plays a role, but maybe it's getting help from some (for now) unknown bug/feature in the GM tranny???

Thanks
    Is the actual color peeling off, or is a clear layer peeling from the color layer? Clearcoats can fail fairly easily if the car has been aggressively buffed. The UV protection in clear is in the very top of the layer, and significant buffing can easily strip it. The bad part is it won't be readily apparent until the sun has time to ruin the paint.

Maybe that isn't what you are seeing, but that's more common than paint coming off the primer.

Jpstax, I just have a feeling that the new 3800 won't go into any W-bodies until they get redone. I wouldn't think it would be that hard either, I just bet it won't happen. However, the Regal is made in Oshawa Ontario while the GP is made in Fairfax Kansas. So they don't share a line or anything.
    Thanks for the response. The actual paint is coming off and all that is under it is gray primer. I have spoken with a few other people in the area that I live, and they have had similar problems. One just had to have his hood and roof repainted. Incidently, they all own '95 regals.
    I often drive to new locations so the Nav System is an asset. Especially if for whatever reason you take a detour - the nav system will reconfigure the route as you drive to your destination.

On the LS 400, it is easy to use - anything computerized is easy to use once you know the system. I will say that not too long ago I drove an Acura RL for a week in Colorado. Acura's Nav System has to be the easiest to use w/o needing to open a manual (I the car was great, too). On the other hand, I'm told by a friend who drives a Jaguar that their nav system could be a bit moe 'accurate' and user friendly.
  • patssoxpatssox Member Posts: 8
    Lioness116,

What color(s) are we talking about here. I have a White '95 Regal (135,000 miles) that has just started to peel paint on the trunk and fuel cap.

Also, I saw a Lumina (around a '95) recently that was White and looked like it was recovering from a bad sunburn.

FWIW, I had an '89 Blue Corsica that GM repainted at almost 100,000 miles since the paint was peeling off in chunks.

Paul
    Paul,
    My '95 Regal is also white with just over 65,600 miles on it. I've just noticed another bubble that is starting to peel in the front of the roof. The back of the roof now has about a 9 in. by 4 in. peel that just happened over the winter. At this rate, by the end of the summer my roof will be all gray primer! I have a sunroof also. With the repainting of your Corsica, did GM foot the bill for that? I definitely think that this is a defect in my paint and I don't want to have to pay for a paint job.
    Kelly
    Hey,

I haven't been here in a while but here is the answer to your question.

3 power window motors
    2 climate control display/head units
    3 pan gaskets
    1 oil pan
    1 valve cover gasket
    1 seat heater
    1 combination switch (in the steering column, makes turn signals work)
    1 supercharger belt tensioner
    Coolant gelled in radiator before 70,000 miles. Resulted in corroded radiator. Required $400 acid flush to fix per GM service bulletin. I complained to Buick and got $200 back.
    The remaining window motor that hasn't been replaced runs slow and will probably go before long.
    Carpet keeps pulling up by drivers door.

That's all I can think of right now. I think I'm leaving something out. If I remember it. I will post it later. I'm sure glad I bought the 100,000 mile extended warranty. Just before I get to 100,000 I'm getting rid of these piece. I'm not buying GM again.

My Mom's 1998 GS has had at least the following:

2 power window motors replaced
    1 climate control head/display
    1 pan gasket

That's all I can think of.

Kdawg
    Kelly:

I've been looking at other GM cars that are painted white and about the same vintage and have noticed that many have the same problem. Regal and Lumina seem to be the primary offenders.

The Regal was built in Ontario, Canada. I have no idea where Lumina's were built in, or around '95, so maybe someone else can shed some light on that. Check the drivers door for a sticker that should tell you where the final assembly took place - the VIN can tell also but that takes some work <VBG>.

The Corsica repaint was paid for by GM/Chevy and it had around 100,000 miles at the time. And, if memory serves was done in '95 or '96 since I had the Corsica and Regal at the same time. The local Chevy dealer did such a fine job that my sister, who has a fine eye for details, could not tell which was the newer car when the cars were parked side by side.

Looks to me like there is an issue with the paint. I'll do a search on the web and see if anything appears - let you know one way or the other.

Paul
    Kelly:

This is the best reference I've found so far as to the paint problems regarding GM vehicles. The URL is:
    http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=99&did=562

Just copy and paste into your web browser.

Paul
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Man,

I wouldn't wish that laundry list of problems on my worst enemy. I can say that I will probably be joining you on the window motor problems. Mine are really groaning.

Where did you get the 100,000 mile warranty? How do you like what it's done for you since you bought it? Is there another company you'd recommend if you're dissatisfied? I'm in a better job now and can afford to get a warranty so I don't end up with a mulit-million dollar repair bill.

Thanks
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    We have a 1999 Regal LS with 50,000 miles. On a recent trip through the Great Smokey Mountains, the brakes exhibited a pulsation when heated up. When we got home, I pulled the wheels and looked at the brakes. All seemed normal for the mileage except the left front inner pad and rotor. At that location, it appeared that the lower half of the pad had never been in contact with the rotor. The top half of the swept area on the rotor was shiny as expected, the lower half was as rusted as the unswept area away from the pad. When I called my Buick dealer, he said it was normal as the brake pads can take a "set" and not be in full contact with the rotor. Does this sound correct? To me, it almost seems like something wasn't asembled right to begin with or perhaps there is a piece of the pad missing entirely. Thanks.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Our 1998 Regal LS also had a pulsing brake problem, but at 80,000 miles, not 50,000. Our local dealer replaced at my expense both front rotors, both sets of front pads, and replaced the brake fluid. The car is now better than new at 90,000 miles as far as braking performance goes. Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much Paul for your help and insight! I really appreciate it!

Kelly
    I bought the extended warranty from the dealer when I bought the car. The car was brand new and had the GM warranty but I went ahead and bought the extended to be safe. I will have to look and see what company it is from. It is a 7 year/100,000 and I'll have to look but I think it cost me about $1000. It has a $50 deductible. It has been great having it. The warranty company has had to lay out somewhere around $6000 or $7000 on the car while I have had to lay out about $400 plus the original warranty cost. I think it is a pretty good return on investment.

I will look and see who the warranty company is and let you know. I'll try to post it over the weekend.

I think I am going to try a Japanese car next time. Maybe a Honda. Can't be any worse than this.

Kdawg
    I've been toying with the idea of having my Buick dealership install a sunroof on my '98 Regal GS. Has anyone else had an aftermarket sunroof installed on their Regal? I've read they may develop future leaks. The service manager said it will cost me $1100 (parts and labor). Does this sound like a lot?
    My dad ordered his Regal with a sunroof, it arrived without one, and the dealer took it to ASC to have one installed. He has a 1997 GS and it doesn't leak at all. It actually has nicer controls than the factory one (you can set it to close when the car is turned off) and the buttons are backlit. If you want a sunroof, go for it. All the dealer is going to do is take it to a local place, so why not do it yourself and cut out the dealer? Plus, you get to choose who installs it and what they install... Just don't cheap out on it.
    Thanks for the tip on sunroofs. I called the nearest body shop that carries ASC products. They'll install a sunroof for $1195. I found the ASC website, in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.ascglobal.com/aftermarket/sunroof.htm
    Kelly:

If/when you go ahead and get the Regal painted let us know the outcome. In particular, the response from the dealer(s). This is a GM problem and not a Buick problem so you can shop dealers if they give you any grief. The Corsica, btw, was not repainted at the dealership where it was bought.

Paul
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone have info on this part in the str. column?? My right side front turn signal no longer works & my garage thinks the problem is in the switch. Is this an expensive part?
      Anyone had to change this piece?
    I had the combination switch replaced in my 1998 GS because the left turn signal quit working. I had it fixed at the dealer because I was under an extended warranty. I believe the repair cost $450 or right in that neighborhood.
  • digmyregaldigmyregal Member Posts: 12
    For my '99 Regal LS. I drive a lot of highway miles, all in the south so plenty of rain but no snow. What are you all using? Something somewhat affordable would be a plus. :) Thanks.
  • evizeevize Member Posts: 33
    I highly recommend the Dunlop SP A2 Sports. They have large grooves to avoid hydroplaning & also provide great dry weather handling. Highly rated at Tirerack.com. I think they are well priced for the quality you get!

Ed
    I also recommend the Dunlop Sport A2's...Had a set on my '93 GranSport Sedan...and immediately after buying my 2002 GS, drove to my tire guy and got rid of the Goodyears and put on Dunlops...235/60-16's...
    Yokohama Avid T4's would be a good choice for your car. Nice ride and good performance in all weather conditions. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE950's on my 98 GS but I am not real excited about them. Kind of wish I had bought another set of the Yokohama Avid V4's I had on the car.
    Does anybody know if the low coolant warning has to be reset once it goes off? I filled the overflow tank back up, but the light will go off again after a certain amount of time driving. The overflow tank is still full, though. Does the warning need to be reset? And do you know how to do that? Thanks!
    First check to see if your radiator cap is on tight, you may be loosing pressure...If not, it could be the sensor which I think for the 97 located in the coolant bottle..If not It's located on the passenger side of the radiator, about 5 inches below the bottom of the inlet spout. It looks like a small square or rectangle piece that plugs into the radiator.
  • andyeandye Member Posts: 4
    I'm the second owner of a 2000 LS and found the 20 amp fuse missing from the Low Blower slot in the fuse panel. Is this normally empty in the LS? If not, what is the Low Blower?