Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I've noticed on many of the Classics I've seen - the sunroof trim (outside of car) is peeling. The salesman told me this is the case on the car I mentioned above. Is this a covered item under factory warranty? Any help would be appreciated.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I was checking out the EPA page on fuel economy and I noticed that for 1997 the EPA estimates were 17/26 with combined of 20mpg. But then there were other numbers called "unadjusted" city/highway/combined. These were 19/33/24mpg. Any idea what that refers to? Maybe the max they achieved during the test and then they apply some factor to it or something? They give no explanation that I can find. By 1998, they didn't list these unadjusted numbers anymore.

What I also found interesting is the common comparison between the Aurora and the ES 300. The ES 300 in 1997 is listed as a compact car while the Aurora is mid-sized. The Aurora had 102 cubic feet of interior space compared to the ES's puny 92 cu.ft. (By 2001, the ES still had 92 cu.ft. and the Aurora grew to 104. There aren't any 2002 passenger volume numbers listed so I don't know about the all-new and even uglier ES, but I would hope that there was some space benefit to that dumb high-roof look.) In fact, the GS300 that year only had 97 cu.ft. and the LS400 was the most comparable to the Aurora with an identical 102 cu.ft. of interior space. Also, that puny 3-series only had a max of 86 cu.ft., and less with the 2-door.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    As I understand it, the epa mpg numbers are generated during the emissions testing (which are done on a simulator of some sort). So the numbers do not represent actual highway driving. The testing is done in lab with a dynometer I think. Anyway I think that they correct for the weight of the car for one thing. But, in the Aurora's case, I have wondered if they were taking the power button into consideration, or if the testing was done in power mode. The power mode will use up more fuel. I always use normal mode except when I really want the extra performance (and remember that its there). One flaw that Olds made was not to put a reminder that the power mode is engaged (which then might have resulted in better epa numbers).
    That seems like a pretty poor way to test the cars. I mean, aerodynamics wouldn't be measured, rolling resistance of the rear wheels wouldn't be measured, and who knows what other little things. I guess that shouldn't surprise me, though. I can't imagine there is any consistent and accurate way to determine the "adjustment" that needs to be made to each car. I thought they drove them on some controlled course or something. Of course, the poor measuring tool won't prevent them from praising some car as a mileage champ because it has a rating of like 1mpg better than some other car. Seems like the kind of thing where companies might "beat the system" if they want to improve their mileage rating rather than making the car actually consume less gas.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    RJS - I always appreciate the open door to comment on the Aurora/ES300 comparisons. It is just asinine. That's it. It blows my mind that the car magazines do this. I see nothing luxurious about cruising in a Camry sized (and Camry looking)car with a relatively small V6 (again very much the Camry engine)The only thing comparable is the price. I guess I'm just not able to be hypnotized by the "carpeting".

I've had many a uncomfortable drive in a 99 ES300. Cramped is the best one word explanation. So maybe I'm being harsh on the new ones. But I doubt it.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I should add this. The way (at least at first) that they measured the amount of gas used was too compute it from the emissions measured.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    In Reply to:________________________________________________

I've noticed on many of the Classics I've seen - the sunroof trim (outside of car) is peeling. The salesman told me this is the case on the car I mentioned above. Is this a covered item under factory warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

"here is my post from problems and solutions number 168".

Well an update on the problem with my sunroof, It's now Thursday and my car is back home all fixed. I was suppose to have my Aurora fixed & ready by Wednesday, but according to the Olds Dealer they had a light & phone problem so they were a day behind. They found the sunroof "module binding internally" (what ever that means), Also on the outside the glass molding was peeling (which I've seen on other Auroras) that was replaced, and they also replaced the whole sunroof glass too, this is what they replaced on my sunroof because it would not close all the way. Under parts description this is what they listed.....

QTY FP Number Description
    1. 01 12536822 TRAC S/RF WARRANTY
    2. 01 12371672 WDO SUNRF WARRANTY

Overall I'm quite please with the outcome, a quick note, it looks like my extended warranty it's starting to pay for itself, I know this job would of been about $1000.00 dollars, thank goodness for the GM warranty. Peace.

I think it will be covered under your warranty "jonbgood". Any questions drop me a line. Peace.
    I'm contemplating buying showed one item - but its a doozy. Engine replaced at 10k miles. Car now has 18k on it. My local dealer (not the selling dealer) said not to be concerned. Would not have been covered under warranty if it had been due to neglect. His opinion is that it was most likely due to a coolant leak in the block which is rare but not unheard of in these engines. Would this give you Aurora experts cause for concern or would you view it as a positive? (used car with only 8k miles on the engine)
    but not a negative either. That's just one of those things. It probably had some defect from the factory, so at least it got taken care of. Better than if they just band-aided the engine so it would make it through the warranty period. A family member had the engine replaced after about 2-3 thousand miles on his new 97 Regal GS, and it now has almost 100,000 miles with no problems (not that this example really proves anything, but hey). There was some problem with the oiling so they just swapped it. No big deal, though. I wouldn't let that keep you from buying the car. I don't think the new engine would make it any more nor any less likely to have future problems.
    I have heard of this too. The local Olds dealer mentioned that some have a major issue with coolant leak in the block - basically a defect that would affect some cars. If you have this problem you are going to know it. Supposedly it is not that common though.
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    Anyone experience A/C problems? Yesterday, returning from Omaha in 95+ degree weather, the A/C began blowing hot air. Coincidentally, the "chirping" noise I've noted reduced dramatically to almost non-existant. I suppose A/C compressors can fail...is this an expensive visit? Thanks - Dave
  • daevendaeven Member Posts: 28
    This may be the last straw for me. After getting the fuel rails replaced last month for $350, now my AC stopped working again. I've had to get it recharged each year (even though nobody ever find the dang leak). I had it charged last time about 6 weeks ago. What is it that fills internally with AC fluid? The compressor, accumulator or evaporator?

Anyway with 211,000 miles, I don't feel good about spending another $1k on repairs so soon. It still has the original trans (and engine), so I'd prodably fix the air just in time for the trans to go. Maybe 200K is the upper limit on this car.

I'm thinking about a V6 Altima. I had wanted to just find a nice 99 Aurora in Diamond White, but I don't know if I can go through all the same maintenance issues: water pump, AC, fuel lines/rails, radiator, window trim, etc. Even with an extended warranty, I'll be worrying about when the next item on the list will go.

Of course it would be stupid to buy a new car right now. I'm driving 1000 miles each week at the moment. Maybe one more AC recharge and see if I can make it through the summer...
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...is expensive. Mine would have been $1275 at my local GMC/Olds dealer, except the warranty company paid for it (and flew the part in - they evidently have some agreement with some other Olds dealer to buy parts at a discounted rate).

I had a friend with a '93 Bonneville, and his A/C compressor failed. I seem to remember that being in excess of $1k, as well. Don't know if a local shop that specializes in A/C system repairs can do it cheaper - I suspect much of the cost is the labor required to change the compressor, and flush the system...

--Robert
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Just a thought, is the chirping coming from under the hood or under the dash? If it's under the dash maybe it's a servo motor for the flap that mixes hot and cold air.
    The chirping noise comes from inside the cabin. I've tried to pinpoint the location but the noise appears to come from all angles. The Omaha to KC trip was about 2.5 hrs chirping incessantly the entire way...except for when the AC failed.
    Garnes sent me some pictures of his car with the chrome wheels from the 2001 Aurora. It looks pretty sweet. I like how it still has a factory look. Garnes, that's one clean looking car.
    Hey what up dudes? Man that Aurora looks sweet with them 17 inch 2002 Aurora wheels. Hey "rjs200240" I should send you some pictures of my 1999 Black Aurora with my custom chrome 18 inch wheels, hey let me know where to send them. Garnes I have to admit you have a sweet looking ride or is it because I have the same ride, same color, hmm................ Peace.
    Just test drove a '99 Olds Aurora w/ 18k miles on it. Very clean car. One question. Trunk lid had piston type hinge mechanism. It seems like other Auroras I've looked at had the big hinge which lowers down into the trunk (and can smash luggage). What is the normal hinge? Thanks.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Off of the top of your head without looking in your trunk.

YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH YOUR CAR!

(Next thing you know you will be telling us that all of your tire stems are lined up to turn in unison.)
    and really a pretty simple question (if you've ever looked in your trunk - that is). The reason I asked the question is that somewhere in the 3200+ posts here - someone was commenting on the trunk hinges on certain models.
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    I'M OBSESSED with my 96 Aurora!!!
    The answer to what kind of hinge for the trunk is
    --Piston/shock type--. No luggage smashing hinges in my trunk.
    I've crawled around in my trunk(s) SO many times, working on my stereo systems(s)

800wattAURORA
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    Garnes-Nice looking ride. The New chromes look sweet. What kind of tires did you end up with? Did you ever get that tremble/shudder at high speeds taken car off? Where did the weights end up, Inside edge or outside edge?

800wattAURORA
    RJS - thanks for posting them. I just hope the wheels hold up OK. These wheels are actually chromed "upgraded" silver finish 2001/2 Aurora 17 inch wheels. I did have to buy the center caps from the dealer. Ouch. Junk yards don't have any yet. I have no experience with chromed alloy wheels, although I'd expect them to keep looking good better than some old chrome steel rims.

Thanks all for any compliments - and if you think the wheels are weird, well you won't hurt my feelings.

The picture of the original wheels was scanned and is not as sharp. Actually, there is nothing wrong with the good old stock wheels either. When clean they sure look nice too.

Chrome - I'm realizing that the only thing that shows dirt as bad as black is chrome. Ug. Those silver finish wheels are more forgiving.
    It was probably me complaining about my trunk hinges. That's the one part of the car I wish they'd rethink (although, if Oldsmobile doesn't even care enough to update their website with the specs for the new Aurora instead of specs from the classic, what makes me think they care about updating the trunk hinges). The trunk has the big hinges and when you pop it, it flies up and bounces off the rubber stoppers. It's really cheapy to see that. Plus, the trunk is soooo freaking light that it feels wimpy when you close it. I wonder if the 3.5 Aurora has a more substantial trunk on the new model. The trunk on the 4.0 was changed from the 3.5's trunk to make it lighter. I suspect the 3.5's trunk was the original vision and the 4.0's trunk is compromised to help shave weight. I looked at a 2002 STS, and it had the same lame-o trunk as my car. I was a bit surprised. I tried to check out the trunk of a 3.5 Aurora in a showroom but the battery was dead so I couldn't pop it. There weren't any salesmen around and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

Hey Javidogg, my email address agian is aurora402002@yahoo.com. Just make sure the pictures aren't huge. Try to keep the total under 1MB. They don't have to be puny, though, just total less than a Megabyte (i.e. three pictures should be about 333KB each). If you need to send more than that, like 4 pics that are 500KB each, then break it up. Send two of them and wait for me to reply and then send the rest. My free email account doesn't come with much space. This goes for anyone else too. If you want a pic posted just send it to me.
    800wattAurora - I went with the Michilin MXV4's. They are really nice. Can't really make a mistake with them.

Vibration - first was with weights taped to the inside of the barrel. It's still a dynamic balance but not exactly accurate. It ends up using a lot more weight too. It really doesn't look good either.

Next I had them use the standard weights on the outside with the standard dynamic balance. It was better (originally thought it was fixed), but still not right at 65 to 72 or so.

Next - I had them "road force balanced" and that did the trick. They explained that the equipment measured the upward force on the rolling cylinder to determine if there are any high spots. Sure enough, two wheels produced a force over 16 lbs at a point on their rotation. 16 lbs is the limit for having to improve something I guess. So they remounted them and got it down around 10. I think the other two were around 5 or something like that. Anyway, I guess I was just unlucky as to how two of them were mounted. They checked the rims as well and they were fine. One cool thing - no charge for the force balance. But I still had to re-do all the lugs when I got home.

I highly recommend just using the weight clamped to the lip of the rim if the rim has a lip. Also, if you get new tires and they have the road force equipment, I'd just do that from the start even if you have to pay a little more. Get the darn tires mounted as close to optimal as possible. The Aurora is apparently pretty sensitive to anything that's not 99.9% right.
    Check out a picture of my former ride a 1999 Olds Intrigue sitting on chrome, in the Oldsmobile Intrigue (Sedans Board) post #7219. I'll try to get a new picture of my 1999 Aurora sitting on chrome for all you to see. Let me know what you all think in the mean time?
    I have joined the ranks of the Auroraites. Bought a '99 Bronze mist/chromes/Bose/roof/heated seats/Autobahn/18k miles/one owner off lease. Car is perfect. Thanks for all of the help. Felt like I was armed with great information and made a good informed decision. I WILL be buying an extended warranty before this one expires in 3/03 based on the apparent consensus on this board.
    I'm sure the car will bring you much pleasure. I'm glad you found the board here helpful in your decision-making. Most everyone here is obviously pretty pro-Aurora, but they also have a lot of good information to offer.
    Great. That sounds like a nice car. You will love that Bose.

If you are ever interested in cranking some more power out of the car, there is a lot of info on this board too.
  • beachloverbeachlover Member Posts: 17
    My A/C condenser has a hole in it from the bolt on the cross braces wearing into it. They have a TSB on it, and replacement braces. The only thing is my 95 has many miles on it (no warranty), but since this is a defect, can't I force them to fix it? Anyone else pull this off?
    Hey I know which color that is, that bronze mist, I love that color, badazz dude. I hope you like it, I thought you were already an owner of an Aurora? Enjoy.
    today from St. Louis to NW Arkansas. Avged. about 24.2 mpg doing 75mph. Playing with the car computer - I did notice a sizable difference on inst. mpg with the a/c off. Of course it was 97 degrees so I didn't leave it off long. I'm suprised the a/c would make that big of a difference on that big v-8. Car was a pleasure to drive - and the seats are absolutely the most comfortable of any car I've sat in. If someone can't dial in a combination that makes them comfotable in those seats - there is no hope for them.
    Welcome to the CLUB!

You can check out anytime you like
    But you can never leave.
    And he has brought his stairway
    to HEAVEN. . . . . . . . .
    Why did you get rid of the 1995 at 160k miles? What happened to the car?

Henri
  • mindseye97mindseye97 Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys- My air conditioning only seems to work well when in motion (over 30 MPH). Does the classic tend to have this issue due to underhood temps or such? I may add another can of freon but I have not checked the pressure yet.
    Dont know what will fix it.
  • kemo444kemo444 Member Posts: 15
    My a.c. will keep the same temp idling, it does take longer to cool out the cab than it did a couple of years ago. Hopefully the '97 just needs it's 1st coolant re-charge
    was running fine until the transmission went into creep mode on the way home one night. The strange thing is the next morning, the car acted as if nothing occured...I had all the gears and all the power. This car had been maintained meticulously throughout my ownership. I couldn't take a chance on the tranny failing again so I traded it off for a '98 Eldorado ETC. The car was apparently sold to a wholesaler in Missouri where the tranny did finally die on his way home. I kept the Eldo for 4 months until finding another classic.
    my '98 classic goes to the shop tomorrow for forced 4wheel alignment, brakes and the AC that mysteriously failed last weekend. The fuses are ok, the compressor does not "click" when the AC is turned on and the hot air coming from the vents would be better appreciated in January. Since I've never purchased an extended warranty on any car, I'm expecting to get hit rather hard on this one. Eventhough I expect to pay a 4 digit repair bill, the Aurora classic is still the car for me.
    The EVIL TEMPTRESS has you cold!

Welcome to the Hotel California
    sells for a $0.30/gal premium where I live. Does anybody run midgrade? Owners manual says you can even run 87 but that performance will suffer. I am trying a tank of midgrade and so far have noticed no difference from the premium.
  • wingnut396wingnut396 Member Posts: 50
    Just got back from a trip to Dallas, and the AC would not cool quite as well when sitting on the 635 in traffic. Course it was nearly hovering around 100 outside. Once the air was moving through it, it worked fine.

On a side note, I have once again found out how much I love my car. About 2 weeks ago I took our Grand Cherokee to Houston. About a 4.5 to 5 hour drive. Over the 4th, we took a trip to Dallas, about a 8 hour drive, this time in the Aurora.

The GC, even at 2 wheel drive, beat me to death. Tons of road noise from the big tires, poor sealing, and loud engine. The steering has always been washy. Definitely not a drivers vehicle. It was simple a job to drive it.

Now the Aurora... what a great car. Great road manners, quite cabin, and just a general ease of driving. I was much less tired after the longer Dallas trip. All it takes is a good road trip, and I find out why I got her....
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    Sorry Garnes but I like the original classic wheels better. They are just more distinctive and don't resemble any other wheels. I do like the chrome classic wheels and hope to get some someday.

Just changed the plugs and plugwires last night. What a job!:( Could have used an eight armed small person (politically correct phrase?). That #3 plug was a killer to get to and then I think King Kong torqued it in. Next time I'll seriously consider letting Gober do the work. Ended up getting AC Delco wires, nobody has the Bosch wires anymore. Perhaps the coil on plug in the new models caused the 3rd party dealers to stop manufacturing wires for our ride.

Henri - Great posts lately, especially like the "Intrigue" line and all the songs you mention are "Classic".
    Two weeks till the car show and 1/4 runs. Looking forward to it and I'll let you all know how we do.
    I try to add a little humor.

I am NOT the TECH HEAD some of you guys are.
  • oldsman2oldsman2 Member Posts: 14
    I am experiencing a similar problem with my 97...the compressor is on the way out. When you have it replaced, be sure the mechanic cleans out the orphus tube...there will be a lot of metal filings in it!
  • matrixfrogmatrixfrog Member Posts: 180
    Haven't been on in a while...

I noticed my Aurora will stay cooler with the AC on then with it off. Anyonye else notice this?

I'm way past due for new tires. All 4 are showing cords around the edges. I guess I need to slow down a little more when cornering. I've checked around town and the cheapest tires I could find are $90 a piece. ouch.
  • oldsman2oldsman2 Member Posts: 14
    I bought a set of Goodyear Aquatreds in November...$365 mounted and balanced...great in snow and rain, but average handling.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Tire Rack has the Dunlop SP Sport A2's on sale for $84.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+A2

They'll ship the tires to you (or a local installer) via UPS.
    http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

Expect to pay $10-15 per tire to have them mounted and balanced.

I have these on my Aurora. Best wet traction of any tire I've driven. I could barely move in snow with my MXV's, but the Dunlops are awesome. Highly recommended.

--Robert
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    When changing the plugs, I had to move a valve/sensor/thingamajig out of the way to get to plug #1 on the passenger side of the car. It had a line running to what looked like the fuel system and had an electrical plug coming into the top. The funny thing was that it had a hose type connection coming out of one side that wasn't connected to anything and the metal base of the thing looked rusted. Anyone know what it is and if there is only one line going into it? My guess is a fuel pressure release valve that vents into the air?