Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Beach15, I was thinking about an Intrigue early last year when I began looking at a new car. I've driven pretty much mid-sized or compact GM cars (Lumina, Grand Prix, before those Grand Am and Corsica). I loved the looks of the Classic Aurora when it came out, but couldn't afford one. I always looked longingly at them, but figured I'd "settle for" an Intrigue as my next car.

I was checking out Intrigues after-hours at an Olds dealership when I sauntered over to check out a black Classic on their used lot. It was loaded (Autobahn, chromes, Bose, changer, sunroof, etc.), had only 27k mi, and was stickered at about 20k. My interest level rose - even though I could get GMO/GMS pricing on a new car.

I drove an Intrigue and both a new Aurora (couldn't afford a V-8, didn't see the point of the V-6) and the Classic. The Intrigue was OK (all they had was a base cloth GX) - the motor is the car's strong point. It tries to be a good-handling European/sporty midsize car with some luxury (esp. in GL and GLS trim).

Contrast that with the Classic, which is a luxury car first and foremost (ride and comfort come first). It also is somewhat of a "muscle" car (with the V-8 and lots of grunt - though no real competition to Corvettes, Mustangs, and Z-28's, it's a bit stealth in that regard). Sport and handling come third, but are respectable. It is somewhat larger than the Intrigue - once in awhile, when pulling into a tight parking space, I'll feel the size of the car. But actually, its turning radius is smaller/the steering is better than my old Lumina (a somewhat smaller car) was.

I loved the ride, the comfort, the dash, the performance, and the looks of the Classic. It took me a month of research (including finding out that my car had been on the dealer lot for nearly a year) and negotiating before I ended up purchasing my ride (talked 'em down to 17k).

I'd recommend that you take both cars out for a test ride - more than once. Then, you need to figure out what's important to you (ride, handling, etc.) and what you like and dislike about each car. My daily commute is 10 min each way (yes I know I'm lucky), but I bought my car for the 2-3 hour trips I make regularly on weekends - and the Aurora is a great luxury cruiser (was getting 28 mpg at 70mph the other night). If I had to drive it in stop-and-go city traffic a lot, I may not be as happy with the car as I am.

Regarding your comments on the family's Chrysler 300:

I've been in a few Auroras, and mine is the only one that I have heard any squeaks/rattles in (going over bumps, just a groan from the area to the right of the radio, where the plastic faceplate and the top and bottom halves of the HVAC/radio sweep meet). I don't think rattles and squeaks are that common, and again, I am super picky and sensitive (plus the black car/black interior issue).

>That and it was way too noisy

The Classic is extremely quiet, unless your right foot is buried on the pedal :-)

>wasn't very powerful

Definitely not a problem with the Aurora 4.0

>was too small for us

Also should not be a problem. I regularly take 4 other folks to lunch, 3 in the back seat, no problem. No one has to adjust the front seats so their knees are in the dash, just so the rear passengers have legroom.

Again, I recommend you try a Classic. But beware, you might get infected with "Aurora Fever" :-)

--Robert
  • gillum1gillum1 Member Posts: 2
    Slid into a curb off a ramp and bent both right side lower control arms. My mechanic says there are two ways to go about the repair. One, replace the control arms by themselves, taking apart the assembly and rebuilding it with the new control arms. Second, replace the entire assembly to save time and cost - and trying to reposition all the corresponding parts of the assembly. Is the assembly a bolt-on? If so, should I replace the unit out to the hub, or go piece by piece?
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I paid $39.99 for a four wheel forced balance with the latest Hunter machine in Northern New Jersey. Solved the vibration and made the car drive better over all speeds.

I also did an alignment on the car. Many many posts back people were saying that the car is almost impossible to align properly. I did not find this to be the case.

Henri
    Once again I was coming home from church going back to New Jersey through the Holland Tunnel.

The Problem:
    I am in the tunnel and I start hearing this very very slight sound coming from under the dash "Kush -- kush -- kush."

I speed up and slowed down, yet the rate of the sound did not speed up or slow down with the car or the RPMs on the engine.

The Outcome:
    This time the car did not strand me at the bottem of the Hudson River. I was able to identify the problem and correct it while I was in the tunnel.

The Fix:
    Turn up the radio so that i can hear more than just the drummer keeping the beat.

Like I said, I am no Tech Head.

(Smile)

Henri
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    I just had my '95 force balanced (again).

I've gotten to where I don't rotate my tires but every 10-15k miles because every time they're touched, the vibration issue comes back. This time, with 35K miles on the Continentals (pair) and 5K on the Goodyears (new pair after a blowout) the vibration still hasn't completely gone away, but is very slight and somewhat intermittent at 75+,-MPH. ...so I drive 85+,- :-)

Other than the dealer, the local shop for me is a neighborhood Tires Plus. Last spring they wanted $80 for a 4-wheel force. This time they had gone up to $100. Damn. It's a good thing the tires are wearing evenly without the standard 5K mile rotation.

Larry
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Thanks for all the commentary!

I have always loved the Aurora's style, though I'm less enamored by the new model. To me, it's just not as upscale and distinctive looking, but otherwise, quite a nice car. I'm not even remotely sure yet when I'll be buying a vehicle, but looking at price, I'd probably have to look more towards 95'-96' Auroras if that's what I liked. I'd like to stay away from first model year anything, but sometimes it rarely matters.

Here's why I liked the Intrigue so much. Granted, I haven't driven very many cars, but in my experience, the Intrigue was the nicest. My grandmother has a silver 99' GX with the 3.8 V6. I've always liked the car from having ridden in it before, but didn't know what I was missing by not driving it! For me, it had the most comfortable driving position and seats, was easy to manuever, and had great performance. Mainly, terrific, firm and precise steering, excellent brakes, very ample power, and just had an amazing tight, trim, controlled feel. No float, very little body roll, and very easy and intuitive to control.

As far as the Aurora, it still seems like it may be a little to large and soft for my tastes. Mind you, it's surely no Buick float boast master, but it's not as tight, trim, and controlled as an Intrigue. Great ride and handling, but I'd probably prefer something smaller and sportier.

I know exactly how beautiful your black on black Classic is too! The closest Chevy-Olds dealer has had a 99' Classic that's Black on Black, with with chrome wheels, a power sunroof, and the Autobahn package. Wow, is it ever gorgeous!!! It's also been sitting around for almost 7 or so months now in the used car lot with little action. I'll tell you, if I could afford it, I go and take a look!
  • daevendaeven Member Posts: 28
    I never really thought of it as a squeaky/noisy car. But since I got it with 150K miles, I'm not very familiar with how one feels brand new. The interior is still in excellent condition.

I had to replace all the follwoing things from 150K to 213K:

Fuel pressure regulator
    Water pump
    Radiator
    Fuel rail
    Spark plugs, wires
    Driver-side heated seat wiring
    Tires
    Brake rotors-front
    And just last week (right after listing the car for sale): AC compressor.

BTW, I got an AC compressor from a junk yard for $200. For an additional $500, I got all the other parts needed plus installation. It can be done for less than $1000.

I was also experiencing the loose window seal trim, but I never did anything about it.

BTW, while I'm travelling for business for the next several months, I've got an Olds Alero rental. It's not a bad little car.

Dan
    IS IT the case that if you rotate the tires the tires will need to be forced balanced again for their new position?

Has anybody already done it twice?
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I have rotated my tires and not experienced any problems. I had them balanced once - a simple balance - and no problems. One tire has been replaced (with a used tire) and no problems. The orginal 3 tires have 50,000 on them now.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Henry...

I do seem to have an issue with the tire balancing. Every time my tires are touched (replaced, rotated, whatever) I get the 75MPH shuffle again and have a devil of a time getting it out. The Road Force balancing seems to do the best job for me, even though it's not perfect.

When I finally do get it smooth again it stays that way until the tires are "touched" again and it starts all over. That's why I'm real close to not rotating the tires at all as long as they are wearing evenly.

Larry
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Henry - as far as I know, the force(d) balance is something specifically done to each wheel to minimize any high spots and get the best dynamic balance as well. So I guess it's more than just a balance and addresses the rolling characteristics.

When rotated, I don't think a RFB would be needed again just for a rotate. I have to agree with larryfl about not messing with the balance if all seems well, however I plan to rotate often to keep the wear as even as possible. I will also be having the alignment checked more frequently.

As the tires wear, I guess the balance requirements can change, but I'm not messing with it if it feels fine.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Need help here posting some pictures, I got a couple of pictures of my 1999 Aurora for you all to see. So vcjumper hook me up dude.
    Not sure where VCJumper is, but email the pics to me and I'll post them here for everyone to see. As long as you have them saved on your PC, it's no problem.

Beach15
    dkrucelyak@hotmail.com
    I ask that you include at least one photo showing you and your "baby" together.

I want to see that pride of ownership!
  • nohash1nohash1 Member Posts: 21
    i just read that ppl have lots of problems with alignment on the Aurora. Is it for the new model post 2001 or the older ones. I have had this problem since i bought the car and have been to the dealership 5 times. Any help would be appreciated.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The 65-75 mph vibration problem, which a road force balance seems to fix, seems to be a problem which only afflicts the Classic (and its sister car, the Riviera). It's not an alignment problem, per se, but a balance issue with the wheels and tires...

--Robert
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Sometimes it's tough to get in the picture. As the only nut in my family who snaps pictures of the car (and of other people's car), it would be hard to snap a pic of myself and the car... :)

P.S. I assume you are the Henri with the NJ plates in one of those pictures on Zinc's site? Nice looking ride.
    It looks like I some what got the whole concept about posting pictures. Also sorry it came out kind of big, I'm working on that. So what you all think?

I also have other pictures that I like to share with you all. I'll post them later on. Also I posted a side shot of my Aurora in the Photo Section, check it out.Peace.
    Neither of your pictures worked. I can't see them (maybe you can). I bet it's because you put them on MSN. I'm sure it is just like Yahoo. They will let you set up a web page for free, but they won't let you use them as a host to display pictures for free. So you will probably just need to post a link to your pictures rather than having them show up in Edmunds. That's what I had to do.
  • 800wattaurora800wattaurora Member Posts: 187
    You can post pics forFREE and let others view them without logging in at http://www.cardomain.com.
    It's VERY easy. I just started my site. It's for car sites only. There's some really nice rides on there
    Hopefully I'll have my pics in 2-3weeks. There's only 11 Aurora's on there, I'd like to see MORE up there.
    If anyone has pics of their rides, just do it
    Check it out, and start making one today.
    http://members.cardomain.com/800wattaurora
    800wattAURORA
    I had a friend, tell me that he could not see them. Once I figure out how to post the link I'll let you all see the pictures.
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Nope page loads for long time then won't display. CARMETRICS.COM G-body analysis of produyction numbers and forecasts by plant from 1998 to 2004.
    It still doesn't work. In fact, I tried those links when you posted before. I got them from the picture property. It asks me to log in to MSN. You need to make a web page and display them like that. You are trying to just display the image, and I don't think that will work.

Mike98, that carmetrics was interesting. A bit weird, though. It doesn't show stats for the 98-99 year Aurora. I wonder why? I'm guessing "Aurora VI" was the designation for the new Aurora (the sixth MY of it). If you add the 2000 and 2001 numbers together there were 90,000 2001 Aurora's built (the ones built in 2000 were 2001 MY cars). That's pretty impressive. Although, many of those were probably V6's. Still, that isn't too bad. I'd think I'd see them a little more frequently, though. I haven't seen another one on the road in about a month...
    Still having problems? Just email me the pics and I'll create a photo account for you that works, plus post the pics here on the board.

dkrucelyak@hotmail.com
    I think the pictures should be posted in the photo Gallery board of the Owners' Club. Right?
  • dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    Update: I'm on my third compressor in as many weeks. Apparently the clutch motor has continued problems with the reconditioned compressors...the mechanic did not get specific. Yesterday, I was about 5 miles away from the repair shop when the cabin began to fill with smoke...(Cheech & Chong's "Up in Smoke")! Once the smoke cleared and I was able to locate my phone, I phoned the mechanic and his decision is to install a new compressor today...not reconditioned. Here in the midwest (Kansas) with temps reaching 100 degrees this weekend, I don't care what he installs as long as it works! By the way, the "chirping" stopped each time the clutch motor went out. Maybe a pattern? Dave
    I wanna see pictures!!!
    The MSNpics asked to log in and don't work all time,+makes you login first. It's VERY EASY to put pictures up on http://www.cardomain.com. It's FREE and dosen't make you login to see it. I started making one for my car, but I don't have any pics taken yet, but I know how.

I WILL make a site for ANYONE!!!
    Just email me the pics, add thems as attachment's with your email to me at
    taylorsturf@attbi.com
    Then you'll have your own web page.

800wattAURORA

check your e-mail, pictures going that way.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Henri makes a good point - we have a great place for posting pictures right here: Aurora Owners: Photo Gallery.

:)

Pat
    Sedans Host
    You can now check me out at http://www.cardomain.com/ I'm listed under The Batmobile, Aurora see what you think.
    Alright Javidog! Nice ride!
    Ok that's 12 Aurora's now, Which one of you will be next, the 13th?

800wattAURORA
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Nice pics, you are shorter than I pictured you though
    Nah that's my son there, but I will be having some more new pictures there soon, with me in there. Check out my 1999 Aurora in the mean time @ http://www.cardomain.com/.
    Well, I must not have been home when you emailed me the pics, but I just went through and created an album of them for you! Sorry I was a little slow, but they're up in two places now I guess!

Check your email, I'll be sending you something...
    Here's another album with Jav's pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/44824179HKiRMs

Hey Javi...I think you might need some work on those swirls in the black paint. Perhaps a good polish would work well, best with a buffer. Oh well, not being picky, I just have my own little detailing business and notice these things! Otherwise, it's a great looking car!

Yeah I know, I want to do some thing about them swirl marks, but I need to find the right product to take those swirls out. The foolish owner before me did not do a good job at taking care of this baby Aurora. Hey you said you have your business, hmm, where you located again, I'm in the Chicagoland Area. Hey you got pictures of your Ride?
    I noticed the swirling in the side shot too. However, it really looks like he waxed the car and didn't buff it off very well. I'll bet some QD or a washing would remove those "swirls" pretty easily. The swirls don't seem to show up in the 3/4 shot. Also, I would think you'd have to wash the car with sandpaper for the swirls to be that obvious from that far away (4+ parking spaces away). If you are in a poorly lit garage waxing your car, the sides are the hardest place to tell if you've buffed properly. Once you roll the car outside, though, you can see all the product you missed. That's really what it looks like to me. :)

(P.S. you misspelled Truly and Schedule on your main page of your website. :). Also, what did you use on that LSS? It looks awesome! Great depth, especially for a silver car!)
    Too bad your not near the Chicagoland Area, you seem to do a great job on those cars.
    "Also, I would think you'd have to wash the car with sandpaper for the swirls to be that obvious from that far away (4+ parking spaces away)."

Actually, not at all. First of all, the car is pure black, so it shows EVERYTHING. You wouldn't have to wash with sandpaper to get marks that visible, just normal washing done improperly and the sun shining right on that side. That's why you see the marks. Overall, they aren't that bad, and could be taken care of easily.

Thanks for finding the misspelled words! I've gone over each page with a fine-tooth comb many times, but haven't looked at it in a while. I'll fix them soon!

Oh, and about the LSS. First, I must say that I never knew how nice of a car they are! The one I had to do was very, very nice, and the interior was huge and luxurious! The owner had kept it in quite good condition, so it wasn't that hard to do. As far as the paint, I did one coat of Klasse All-in-One polish followed by a coat of Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection. The Platinum is some great stuff and I've been using it on our black Avalanche, but will be switching to Zaino soon. Platinum is a Polymer sealant like Zaino and Klasse, but gives a deeper, wetter, carnuba like look.
    I noticed you use that on your website. I've been thinking about getting some Blackfire. I understand they are pretty similar products. I like that the BF has a polish and a protectant, whereas the Platinum seems to just have the protectant (as far as I could tell). After trying some #26 I have really come to like the carnauba look. So BF or Platinum is appealing because they have a similar look in an easier-to-apply, longer-lasting product. That LSS really does look good.

I never really understood having the LSS, the Aurora, and the Intrigue all in the same lineup (plus, the regular 88). The LSS and Intrigue both had the same 3800 engine, and the LSS could be equipped with an Aurora-challenging 3800 S/C V6. I mean, what the hell was Olds thinking? They are all pretty close in size too. It isn't like the 88/LSS was as big as a Park Avenue or the 98. The 88/LSS was on the same platform as the LeSabre/Bonneville, so it was a good-sized family sedan. Isn't that what the Aurora was too? Plus, the cost of the 88 was more around the Intrigue. Talk about a confusing line-up. It's a good thing that even by 1999 computers and the web weren't so huge (you could still get by selling vehicles without a website). Could you imagine if they had to put together one of those "which vehicle is for me" things? "Yes, I'd like a nice-sized family sedan with decent power and comfortable yet sporty handling." What the heck car would they recommend? Even if you factored in price it wouldn't thin the Olds field much (unless you demanded to spend close to $40,000). They sold the 88/LSS right up through the 1999 MY. I imagine this seriously hampered Aurora/Intrigue sales. It takes time to bring new customers in to the fold, and the long-standing Olds customers probably prefered the LSS's lower price and plain appearance. You could probably speculate the the Intrigue and Aurora brought in most of the new buyers, but since they didn't also have all the old buyers, their sales numbers were sort of low. Olds didn't really get its lineup straight until 2000, at which point they had about 1 year in which to woo new customers before they got the axe...
    For the 1999 MY. These are from Intellichoice.com, and are base prices.

Intrigue GX: $21,180; GL: $22,580; GLS: $24,950
    88: $23,560; LS: $25,110; 50th Ann: $27,350
    LSS: $29,110; with S/C: $30,170
    Aurora: $36,230

It seems like the Aurora would be the biggest loser in this model lineup since it is quite a bit more expensive, and on paper doesn't have much more power than the LSS S/C (+10hp, -20lb/ft). Plus, on the brief test-drive, the Aurora's more solid chasis might not be that apparent.
    Yes, Blackfire is also a very nice product. But, Platinum does over a first step polish, in the form of a special pre-cleaner. So far, all we've found is that a Blackfire finish dulls slightly after a little while and starts to attract dust like a magnet. Serves as a great base for many carnubas, just like many other polymers.
    Can you send me a link of a place that has the Platinum polish? I've never seen it. Would you choose Platinum over BF for a dark car? Mine is a dark red. Thanks Beach.
    In actuality, I've never really used Blackfire myself, but am just going on fellow detailing results and opinions. But, I did make the choice to buy Platinum myself for a reason. So, in my personal opinion, on dark red, I'd go for the Platinum. It'll give you an amazingly 3D gloss, with great depth, lusterous and wet shine, terrific slickness and great durability. I put 6 coats of the UPP on our Avalanche over top of 6 coats of Klasse, and with a weekly washing with the Platinum wash and then spray and wipe of the Platinum gloss enhancer, it looks great and like new. I've tried other washes with the Platinum alond with Quick Detail sprays, and had less than stellar results. So, as a general rule of thumb, when a polish or wax manufacturer also makes a complimentary wash and gloss enhancer, they usually work the best. I particularly recommend the QD spray, as it is what brings back the original slickness and gloss after a wash.

About the only small difference I can see between the Blackfire and Platinum is that while Blackfire has instant cure times, with Platinum, it's best to let it cure 15-30 minutes. I usually give 15 minutes, and it wipes off easier and to a better gloss than anything I've ever used. It's not all that much time, and you could be working on some other area for the 15 or so minutes anyway.

Here's a great site specifically for the Platinum by the people who produce it:

http://www.platinumcarcare.com

The owner is also a great person to talk to and can answer just about any question you'd have when it comes to car care. Good luck!

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey folks -- just wanted to remind you this isn't exactly a car detailing thread. ;-)

There are some of those over in M&R, though, if any of you want to continue this.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Here are some links to the pics of Platinum on our black Avalanche:

These are when it was first applied. #7-18 are with 5 coats, #24-27 are with 6:

http://public.fotki.com/slate300m/avalanche/new_av_pics_with/

Here are some pics I took about a month later:

http://community.webshots.com/album/44428004spMbul