Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• hawaiianbobhawaiianbob Member Posts: 3
    Aloha this is Hawaiianbob; I have a 1998 SR5 EXT CAB 3.4 V6. 190+ HP. It is a later date model so I never had the Head Gasket Recall. I cal really tel the Difference between the 3.0 and the 3.4L. My ruck REALLY Hauls ASH right from the red light. I have never Really Opened it up yet. Maybe only to 85MPH but you can fel the Torque, while in 5th gear for assing. I opened the intake or did the Mod. It REALLY Made a Differance in Hp and Fuel Economy. I average 25 TO 27+ MPG with the AIR ON. both in town and freeway driving. Geting a Tonnue Cover Also Helps with the Mileage. I have a few more ad ons Like Bigger BF WHITE LETTER Tires. they realy Dress up the truck, especially with the Stainless Steen Fender Covers. I used to race in 1957 283 v8 Small Blocks in the Sixities and I can almost feel the same Power. If you want to GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE ALSO TRY USING 1st , to 3rd, to 5th. You do NOT NEED All those Gears, unless your climbing a Hill. I only have 54,000 MI. on my truck so I think this will be my LAST. I have had 8 Toyotas since 1968 corona. I have been reading all the complaints about the NEW 2005 Trucks and I can tell you that Toyota is using Less Material in the NEW Cars. I only had to Change a Starter and I put in a OPTIMA BATTERY FOR GOOD LUCK. The OLDER TOYODAS ARE BETTER THAN THE NEWER ONES. Another Problem is that I see SOOOOO Much 4x4s and 90% of them DO NOT USE THEM FOR THEY WANTED TO. THEY JUST WANT TO LOOK GOOD. Look at the GAS Prices. 2.40 For 87 OCTANE. I Can Only laugh when read the Stories about 17 MPG. My Gas Mileage is REALLY GOOD for a 3.4l 190+v6. It is close to the S Runner. Here in Hawaii We can only go in Circles so why Waist Thousands of Dollars on a 4x4. My E Mail is; boykoalley1@netzero.com May GOD BLESS ALL TRUCK DRIVERS FOREVER. ALOHA! Hawaiianbob
  • crs1077crs1077 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 tacoma 4x4 v6 sr5 the rear shocks have never been replaced. I just bought this truck and want to replace them. Does anyone have any suggestions on which shocks may be the best for this truck? Also does anyone experience a grumbling noise, like gears trying to allign when accelerating from 1st to 2nd how about the ROUGH shift from 1st to 2nd its not an easy transition anyone else experience these issues? If so any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • gdwtch1969gdwtch1969 Member Posts: 15
    I was wondering what year is your truck? Mine is a 2004 doublecab.With the same problem.I met someone else in this forum who also has the same truck with the same problem.I had filed a lemon law claim against Toyota.Did you go directly through arbitration with Toyota?
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "GAS PRICES HERE IN HAWAII IS $2.34 FOR REG"

I notice that you put this in every post. Have you checked prices in San Francisco, New York City, or just about any other major US city or suburb?

I lived at the U of H East/West Center for a month and noticed that nothing was very far from anything else. How far can you actually drive before you loop around to where you started? With your weather, I'd be on a bicycle as much as possible and not complaining about gas prices. ;)
  • mulhern1mulhern1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey there the PO125 is - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for closed loop Fuel Control.

P1135 is Air Fuel Sensor Heater Cirucuit Response Malfunction
    I am not sure where these are I have problems with PO172 which is an O2 sensor and I can not fix it, the check engine light still comes on?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Check your email before you post again, please.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    Wake up and die right>
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    That sucks ,you must be pissed!
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    >Check your email before you post again, please.

kcram - Pickups Host<>

Thanks
  • drd12drd12 Member Posts: 4
    hey, i have a 2005 tacoma dcab with @ 5000k. it will crank over just fine but occasionally will not start until i step on the gas pedal while cranking. Eventually (long story short!) the dealer told me the problem may be "heat soak." This occurs when low quality gas with insufficient detergent (like techron) heats up in the injector ports after driving for a while then stopping. when restarting, some deposits have not evaporated from the ports causing a clogging factor. This sounds like a reasonable possibility in my trucks case (i do usually buy less expensive gas). i'm trying Techron fuel cleaner and only using chevron gas for a few weeks to see what happens.
  • jabe1jabe1 Member Posts: 1
    Got my 05 tacoma with the latch missing, dealer repalaced the whole rear windshield. Only problem it took 4 months for the part to come in. No problem since the replacement.
    I have been putting 89grade in by Sunoco ever since I bought it.This truck hasn't started for more than 3 weeks at a time..Sometimes it will just stop cranking when I am trying to start it.Is it a case of gas or injectors.My truck has been to the shop 7 times so far,and we are still trying to figure it out.My truck is the same way with the starting and stopping process.I will try the Techron fuel cleaner.But do I really need the cleaner with 89 grade?
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    thanks for the link, cant wait till stereo install, cuz its going to to sound great, its amazing how better it sounds than stock, the stereo that i got is a clarion, 53 watt by 4 channel power, so its about 112 more watts than stock, well i will post when i get it installed.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I wouldn't bother with the 89 grade, it "should" be fine with the 87. I might try a different dealer if that's possible for you.
  • jpataco03jpataco03 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, my '03 Tacoma (5-speed) has been making this rattling noise lately, the noise stops when I press the clutch. I got it checked out and was told a lot of toyota and nissan trucks do this after about 20,000 miles or so (mine has 25,000)... they said it had something to do with the clutch cable shaking. I asked if it could be fixed and they said yes, but it would probably start doing it again after about 10,000 miles.

Anybody else have this problem, or have any suggestions?
    I have a 04 Tacoma I was just wondering about the seat belt light, is it suppose to flash and buzz when your seat belt isn't on?Or does it just flash.
  • drd12drd12 Member Posts: 4
    As per the dealer's shop foreman, I tried techron cleaner and have been using chevron gas but still having intermittant starting issue. whether or not it is "heat soak," better gasoline and the injector cleaner have not made any difference yet. I have 2-3 weeks left of this little test before i file the paperwork for dispute resolution and/or :lemon: law.. this is totally unacceptable for a brand new vehicle of any make/model, esp. an off road truck. i could carry an extra engine in the bed just in case it won't start somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
  • 03taco03taco Member Posts: 3
    I didn't see anymore responses to this. Did Toyota fix? How? I have the same problem. Help Please!!!
  • gotp8ntgotp8nt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 PreRunner Tacoma. I have noticed over the last year or so a slight hesitation or stuttering when revving the engine either while idling or taking off from a complete stop. I've read other posts kind of similar to my situation and some of the replies have been to switch to a higher octane fuel, etc. I'm in the military and stationed in Sicily, I don't have the luxury of switching fuels, but I have tried fuel additives (octane booster, etc.). I have replaced the "fuel position sensor" which didn't solve the problem. I have changed spark plugs, PVC filter, transmission fluid and filter, etc. Nothing has worked. The mechanic I took it to now wants me to change the spark plug wires to rule that out. I have just over 60,000 miles. Has anyone heard of this problem or know how to fix it with out me being nickel'd and dime'd to death? Please help...
  • marion2marion2 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply,,,,,,,,,,
    wow, can't believe it's been so long since i checked this page.........
    interesting suggestion about the "type" of oil filter.
    I use "factory" toyota filters,,
    any idea what type they are?
    thanks.,.,
    marion..........
  • tmacktmack Member Posts: 1
    I would let someone else check it out. Tacoma's use hydrolic clutches, there is no cable to rattle. It could be a clutch adjustment issue, or one of the other common Taco clutch issues: turn-over bushing worn/wearing out, stopper worn out (what the pedal stops against when your foot's off it), throw-out bearing in the clutch going bad/gone bad. The turn-over bushing wearing out causes the pedal to squeal/click while being depressed, sometimes makes a nasty grinding noise as the metal clutch arm grinds against the return spring. The throw-out bearing going bad will generate a rattle/chirpy/squeaky noise from the clutch that sometimes goes away with light pressure on the pedal (not necessarily pressing it down much at all), the stopper wearing out lets the pedal travel out too far, and knock against other metal parts it shouldn't, which might be causing your rattle. I have had all these happen, and am still dealing with the throw-out bearing chirp (8th trip in for this stuff..grrr). Dont let the dealer get away with just greasing something (5 of the first 6 trips to replace the $0.97 bushing), if that were the problem, then why did the factory's grease stop working after only 25k miles, and why isnt "grease the clutch pedal" listed in the routine maint. books (each time the dealer fixed mine with grease, it was squeaking again less than 2 miles down the road).
  • j18551j18551 Member Posts: 1
    just wanted to let folks know what I've heard regarding 2005 Tacoma paint problems. I live near the NUMMI plant, and was talking to an ex-employee of the plant a few days ago. He said that when NUMMI began producing the 2005 Tacomas, they did not modify their paint booth. There were serious clearance issues with the sprayers due to the larger body, and he estimated about 1 in every 4 trucks had to go back for touch up work. Since I had paint problems with past vehicles, I learned that when vehicles have water-based paints (required in the Bay Area), they need to be primered and painted all within 24 hours. If that doesn't happen, you get a paint "shell" that doesn't really adhere to the primer, and the paint flakes off after a few years of weather. The first indications I experienced on my old truck: chipping. Just food for thought. After a horrible experience with the dealership I bought my new Tacoma from, I've lost some serious loyalty towards Toyota... if you're arbitrating, you might want to request some details regarding stoppages due to the paint booth and clearance related issues.
    >just wanted to let folks know what I've heard regarding 2005 Tacoma paint problems. I live near the NUMMI plant, and was talking to an ex-employee of the plant a few days ago. He said that when NUMMI began producing the 2005 Tacomas, they did not modify their paint booth. There were serious clearance issues with the sprayers due to the larger body, and he estimated about 1 in every 4 trucks had to go back for touch up work. Since I had paint problems with past vehicles, I learned that when vehicles have water-based paints (required in the Bay Area), they need to be primered and painted all within 24 hours. If that doesn't happen, you get a paint "shell" that doesn't really adhere to the primer, and the paint flakes off after a few years of weather. The first indications I experienced on my old truck: chipping....<>

Thanks for the info. Have a hearing on June 3.
  • macnewfmacnewf Member Posts: 9
    I just finished talking to Toyota Canada and I have gotten no satisfaction from it at all. They say that it is entirely up to the dealer to diagnose the problem and fix it but when I go to the dealership they insist that it is merely rock chips and that it is not a warranty repair. My truck continues to get worse. I now have a 5 inch square on my fender flares with no paint at all on it. It is wore right down to the base. the dealership that I deal with says that it is pitted and that the paint is not flaking. my next move is a second opion in another town and if that dosent work then I can see that my only next move is arbitration as well. Keep me posted please
  • margincallmargincall Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I am not sure exactly what it is, I have tried fuel additives, higher octanes, etc. I had the plug wires and plugs changed less than a year ago, and that made no difference what so ever.
    >I just finished talking to Toyota Canada and I have gotten no satisfaction from it at all. They say that it is entirely up to the dealer to diagnose the problem and fix it but when I go to the dealership they insist that it is merely rock chips and that it is not a warranty repair. My truck continues to get worse. I now have a 5 inch square on my fender flares with no paint at all on it. It is wore right down to the base. the dealership that I deal with says that it is pitted and that the paint is not flaking. my next move is a second opion in another town and if that dosent work then I can see that my only next move is arbitration as well. Keep me posted please<>

Document everything and get a case number. Then file for arbitration.
    Yes I think that has definetly got to be my next move. How do I go about filing for arbitration.
    I own a 05 Access Cab Tacoma off road package and when I bought it I was told that the hood scoop only came on the double cab sport package. However I have seen 2 trucks exactly like mine with the hood scoop on them. I have been told that it has to be an after market hood scoop or a replaced hood. Any info let me know please.
    The hood scoop is on all of the TRD _Sport_ (Not Off-Road) packages, on Access and Double cabs, and the X-Runner.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/tacoma/models_access_cab.html
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/tacoma/models_double_cab.html
    >Yes I think that has definetly got to be my next move. How do I go about filing for arbitration. <>

There is a form in the warranty book.
  • ronc2ronc2 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone experienced a creaking noise coming from the clutch pedal? I called Toyota and they said it was the first time they heard of it. Any ideas?
    Thanks for the info but isnt the access cab only available able in the off road package and not the sport package. That is what I was told at my dealer here in Canada anyways.
    "Thanks for the info but isnt the access cab only available able in the off road package and not the sport package. That is what I was told at my dealer here in Canada anyways. "

That may be a Canadian thing. Here in the states, the AC is most definitely available in either TRD package, with or without tow.

While my AC TRD OR/tow truck was in the pipeline, an AC TRD Sport in my color arrived. I panned it due to the low profile tires and some other minor details, as I actually tow, carry things, and go off-road. The taller sidewalls are better on rocks, beach sand, and with loads. Even the TRD Off-Road package tires are on the low profile side for a truck. I would have preferred a 75+ series or a truck (ex: 31x10.5R15) sized tire, even with a smaller wheel.
  • catpatrolcatpatrol Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!
    I've got a 1996 Toyota Tacoma, extra cab. Recently, the drivers seat belt stopped latching. I want to change out the seatbelt, but the anchor is in a hard area to reach. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Am I going to have to remove the drivers seat in order to access the seatbelt mount?
  • bigernbigern Member Posts: 1
    My wifes 2001 Tacoma, 5spd, 4x4, v6 has 58K miles on it and has been acting up lately. It is difficult to start (which I know to be somewhat typical for Tacomas) but will sometimes die when seeking idle, then it is very difficult to start. She can manually rev the engine once started then it runs good. Ocasionally it will stall out when decelerating and coming to a stop. The stalling typically occurs after warm-up.

-There is no check engine light before or after stall.
    -I've cleaned all the suspect sensors & parts.
    -I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago.
    -I've run seafoam treatment through gas & intake.
    -It is an extreemly well maintained vehicle.

This started within 6-8 months of moving to S. California. We drove from South Carolina and the Taco performed flawlesly under tow. I wonder if the additives Cali puts in the fuel is causing this. I'm not sure if this is typical for Tacomas. Because of the cost of fuel in Cali, she also has been running 87, and buying it where it is cheapest. We used to only run 89.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

BigErn
  • blutacoblutaco Member Posts: 3
    Yup, the same thing happened to me. In an attempt not to double post, you can check out #3828 in the Tacoma 2005+ forum. In short, the dealer wants to replace the back window, but I'm leery because I'm not convinced the adhesive has changed and it won't happen again. I'm weighing the option of the having the dealer do it under principle or saving the time and just gluing the thing on myself and move on with my life.
  • jimmerjimmer Member Posts: 9
    I thought my clutch pedal was creaking also, and after many attempts to rid of the noise at the dealer, I found it to actually be the seat pan!!! So the dealer pulled out my seat and lubed it up, and no more noise!! When you push the clutch in your leg actually pushes the seat down, hence the creaking, at least in mine that was it!
    Has anyone else with a 6 speed have any problems with popping out of 3rd or 4th gear? Mine has happened 5 times now in the last month! It's going in to the dealer this week, so i guess i'll see what happens. :cry:
  • l5504l5504 Member Posts: 8
    Hi. I've got the same problem. I had the fuel filter changed, fuel injection and throttlebody cleaned. I tried a fuel additives as well. No luck. I'm going to look into changing the TBS (Thorttle Position Sensor) to see if that works. If it does I'll let you know. If you come accross the solution please let me know....Thanks and good luck. P.S. Is the Fuel Position Sensor and Throttlebody Position Sensor the same thing?
  • gotp8ntgotp8nt Member Posts: 2
    I have changed every single one of those things, most recently being the throttle position sensor. It still does the same thing, which means I spent about $100.00 for no other reason than to rule out the cause of a problem. The mechanic I use wants me to order new spark plug cables. I leave Italy in about 4 months, so I'm almost willing to wait until I get back to the States and take it to an actual AMERICAN Toyota dealership. If you come across what could be causing this, please let me know...thanks.
  • bradwmbradwm Member Posts: 1
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    4 cyl. 2 wheel drive
    automatic

Squeak type noise as the tires turn - the more the tires turn the squeaking gets faster and lounder..

At 30mph or so, when I tap the gas it squeaks, and when I let go I don't hear anything.

Also, when the truck is parked and I rock it up and down it squeaks.

Dealership said - "Noise was coming from U-Joints and they regreased U-Joints." The problem is still there though.

I DEPEND ON MY TRUCK FOR SURVIVAL.
    Any feedback is very much appreciated.
    thank you
  • dmensdmens Member Posts: 1
    hi, I have a 04 tacoma pre-runner crew cab. Since I bought the truck I have been experiencing a chirping sound coming from the front left side of my truck. The dealer has looked it over but could not find anything wrong. I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced the same problem. Its very annoying and it almost seems like something could be loose. Appreciate any comments. Thanks
    Hey! I'm sure you've read this allready but just in case....Check out message # 599 from smgillies. He say's to check out the MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter). Be carefull. They run about $300.00 clams. The spark plug cables? Yeah, I'd wait. But it can't hurt to test them though. Good luck...... Later....
  • sdoyle1sdoyle1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 4x4 Tacoma Double Cab with 65K miles. Vibration when braking prompted me to get the brakes replaced by a local shop (not Toyota dealership). A test drive determined that the vibration was coming from the rear. they ended up replacing the drums and shoes... the vibration is reduced but definitely not gone. The problem is barely noticeable at slower speeds but is fairly prominent at highway speeds.

I would love to hear from anyone who may have had this problem before.
    Hey yironkel! You still around? Did you check the MAF sensor for that hesitation problem? And if so what were the results? I have a 2000 Tacoma V6. Thanks.....
  • partsman1partsman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I own a 1999 Tacoma, Great Truck Never Had a problem , Then the trans started to make a noise like a throw out bearing but when you push in the clutch it would go away, Took it in to toyota for its oil change 35,779 miles . They said its your throw out bearing and your not covered under warranty,yes i have but it is not covered,so i have the thing changed $750.00, Same noise, to make a long story short i had two companies go to look at the trans which was torn down on the bench, both said that its bad metal shavings in it and thrust bearing is bad. Toyota said no But we will fix it for you for $4,735.00 or we could put it back together the way it is for $1,168.00 i had a tow truck pick it up and bought new trans for $1,990.00 and paid a mechanic $300.00 to put it back together at His shop. I wrote a letter to toyota Asking how a trans can go out @ 35,000 miles still have original tires . Oh toyota did not charge me the $581.00 to take it apart nice guys yea?
    At around 68k mi. the engine started running at lower RPMs and at idle a little rough. With your foot into it it seems to run fine. And this only seems to happen after running at highway speed for a length of time. Revving the motor while checking out the idle is when I noticed the hesitation problem. I'm pretty sure it started before then. I turned off the truck and then fired it back up and it ran fine. But the hesitation was still pressant. I had the fuel filter changed and the Throttlebody and injectors cleaned. This cleared up the rough idle/running problem for about 1800 mi. But not the hesitation. Once before the service and once after I ran the tank down to less than 1/4 and fueled back up. After this is when the rough idle/running problem started. And both times after fueling I jumped on the freeway for at least an hour. There's no check engine lights and the shop techs got no code from the computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks......
    FYI: Talked with the dealer today, they told me toyota has 10 trannys in stock in Toronto!!! Apparently toyota has a problem with the trannys (why would they stock 10?) !! They even have a new part #! So ya I'm getting a new tranny At 18000kms!!!They still haven't figured out why the 4LO only works when it wants too! I've had a new transfer case, actuator, and tried synthetic oil! As their commercial says" we've put everything we learned over the years into this truck" (or something like that). I'd have to say BS!!! This truck is no comparison to my 96!!!! :sick:
  • sgttoddsgttodd Member Posts: 4
    I'll just add myself to the growing list of people who are experiencing a similar problem and can't quite pinpoint it.
    Last year I had a problem with the tacoma at idle wanting to cut out. The engine light would come on for awhile and then turn off. I called the dealership and they said they couldn't diagnos it unless the light was on. So I got fed up because the light was never on when I felt like going to the dealership. I eventually changed the air filter (second air filter with about 40,000 miles on the engine) and the light never came back on and the idle problem went away until last week.
    This time the problem started with a little bit of a rough idle and got progressively worse over the next couple of days until I no longer felt safe driving it. The truck would stall out at idle if I didn't keep on the gas, and while driving the truck it would buck throughout the rpm band. With 50,000ish miles on it now I changed the air filter again, didn't work. Cleaned the MAF sensor which seemed to take care of 80% of the problem but still flutters at idle. I bought a fuel filter but am hessitant about changing that until a last resort. I'm hoping that it was just a bad tank of gas since some of these farout gas stations in Alaska don't go through fuel to quickly. Hopefully someone figures out what causes this type of problem.
  • hartmhartm Member Posts: 2
    Could someone please respond with proper torque for spark plugs? Can not find service manual on this vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.