Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Meet the Members

Comments

• Options
    david55839david55839 Member Posts: 10
    I live in Milwaukee, have a 2000 Rodeo V-6, 4wd, and also have a CR-V. I think you'll find the Rodeo quieter and more luxurious, obviously more powerful, and a little better in all this @#%&*% snow we've been having! The CR-V definetely rides better on bad roads, and is more manuverable. As far as reliability is concerned, I think the major components won't give you much trouble in the Rodeo, it may be little things that give you headaches. Also, the Rodeo seems more prone to rattles and squeaks than the CR-V.
    Good luck!

David
  • Options
    basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    Hi everyone, my name is Phil.

I bought a 1999 Trooper in August 2000. It was driven by a regional isuzu rep and had 7800 miles. Since it had never been sold and the gave me the manufacturers certificate of origin, the vehicle was still considered *new*, which qualified if for some favorable financing I obtained privately.

It came with virtually every option offered. Performance pkg + leather + moonroof + woodtrim + hitch + multimeter.

$25,900

I'm considering new shocks. the truck blows around on the turnpike when its windy. other than that I'm very *happy*. the more I drive it, the more I like the truck.

Great looking too! I've got black which looks great in the monocromatic paint.

My kids love it too.
  • Options
    vivayovivayo Member Posts: 32
    Hi, everyone. Name's Charlie. I'm in Maryland, near Andrews AFB. After spending several months looking at SUVs I decided on a Trooper. It didn't hurt that SWMBO likes it, too. Thanks to Edmunds, I was well informed when I went to see the local dealer (Pohanka Oldsmobile-Isuzu, Marlow Heights, MD). We picked out a 2wd 2001 Trooper LS in Moonmist Grey. The only option I wanted was the side sport steps - she's just under 5', so the steps are not just for show. The salesman wrote up the order for invoice. They called a week later to say that they couldn't find what I wanted unless I would take it with a moonroof. I said okay, provided I got it at invoice too. A week later they called to say they had the vehicle and I could pick it up that evening. When I did, they showed me the invoice - $25,889 (LS) + $935 (moonroof) + $340 (steps). That fit with what Edmunds showed, but then they had added on $896 holdback, $299 advertising, and $200 floor charge. I explained to the salesman that holdback would be paid to them by Isuzu, not me. I also told him I wasn't paying any advertising fees because they didn't have to advertise to sell the vehicle. I'd asked them to order it. And I sure wasn't gonna pay a $200 floor charge for a vehicle that would be on their lot less than 12 hours. I told the salesman that I'd pay the invoice plus the $520 inland freight and nothing more (well, I'd pay the tax, tags, & registration;-). He hesitated a bit but said he'd talk to the sales mgr. He was back in less than 5 minutes and said "Okay, we've got a deal." Needless to say, I was prepared for a battle, but didn't even get an argument. I think it didn't hurt my case any that I happened to pick it up the same day that GM announced the end of the line for Oldsmobile, heh heh.
    I commute in a '94 S-10 and SWMBO drives a '93 Bonneville (with all of 22,700 miles on it) so the Trooper won't see too much action, but we'll be using it on weekends and trips. I'll be happy to get the first 500 miles on it so I can stay with the flow of traffic. Right now I'm pretty much restricted to the right lane and have to put up with people scowling and shaking the heads (and a few fists) as the zip past. The speed limit might be 55, but believe me, you don't want to drive that slow. Anything under 65 is gonna p*ss people off.
    Anyway, I probably won't have much to say on here but will lurk in the shadows and read what you all have to say.
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Oh yeah - in case some of you aren't familiar with it - SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed
  • Options
    chrismiller1chrismiller1 Member Posts: 7
    Hello everyone,

My name is Chris Miller. Some of you might know me from Trooper part I where I *ignore* placed my greeting.
    Recently purchased 2 LS Troopers and am really enjoying the trucks. Bought one for myself then liked it so much mom and I bought one for dad for Christmas. After seeing what people say they paid,I am very happy with the price of both trucks. can turn you on to a dealer who will beat any price I have seen posted. live in Memphis n. and don't see to much bad weather so they are both 2wd. It has been fun to read everyones posts on this site.

When I first purchased the truck I soon realized it takes some homework to find after market accessories. I would appreciate any ones thoughts on a semi-retail(retail services,not retail prices)web site devoted to catalouging and selling trooper accessories.

Hope everyone has a happy new year,
    Chris
  • Options
    chrismiller1chrismiller1 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    Hi,

I didn't know you had a CR-V. By the way, now that you had Monroe matic on your Rodeo, how is the ride on moderately rough road compares to the CR-V?

My experience with Monroe matic is that the harshness on bumps and dips is tamed and it has better rebound control. I also readjusted the tighness of the upper bushings, just enough to make them bulge SLIGHTLY on the sides (or if with OEM bushings, just enough that you can't rotate the washers by hand). Of course, you can fine tune the tightness. Too tight, and it will pick up all the small road bumps. Too loose, and it will have excessive suspension movement especially at high speed, and the bushing's life will also suffer.
  • Options
    I also followed the recomended tire pressure which is 26 PSI (16" wheel). Together with the new shocks, it made a whole lot of improvement in the ride comfort.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That seems awfully low, I believe the tires should be in the 30s at least. If you do 26, you run the risk of the exploders fate. Lower pressure = mushier tires + more rubber on the road = softer ride + extra heat = tire failure + rollover!

Just my 2 cents.

-mike
  • Options
    You will find this surprising because other SUV's and cars are also recommending 26-28 PSI (as indicated at the door jamb). Also the Explorer's R&D engineers chose 26 PSI because it gave the best ride comfort and not too much dry road GRIP to cause it to tip over when cornering hard (shown in TV in one investigative report).

However, the tire supplier to Explorer doesn't have the safety belt clip that prevents the thread to fly off if it starts to separate plus it had horrible manufacturing quality standards.

If you just take a closer look at the manual, it states there that additional 2-5 PSI is recommended when driving at high speeds (>75 mph?) for an extended periods of time.
  • Options
    slowly leaking air (considered normal by some but this is more common on this specific tire). Most were unnoticed by the owners, driving around with severely underinflated tires, until it's too late.
  • Options
    Don't even get me started on people who drive SUVs and don't notice things..... :)

Can we say Grocery Getting Soccer Moms/Dads who should be driving AWD Mini-vans but refuse to! :) They are the same people who don't notice or check TP

-mike
  • Options
    The Trooper is in the top ten on a review site written by actual owners! It's a good site, you can see how the weaknesses of the trooper are pretty insignificant compared to our brethren with Durangos...

http://www.carreview.com/reviews/suv/index_byrating.shtml

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
  • Options
    The report on driving with unnoticed severely low tire pressure was a fact (it's not specifically directed to you). It was shown on TV in an investigative report of those exploding firestone, the company said that driving with severely underinflated tires can cause permanent damage.

Peace.
  • Options
    I know, it just annoys the crap out of me how lackadazical people are in general with their cars.. :)

-mike
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Mike, I agree with you 100%. It absolutely bugs the *crap* out of me how so many people pay zero attention to their vehicles. I don't care what vehicle you're driving, you need to do things like check the oil level, other fluid levels, and tire pressure once in a while. Everyone is in such a hurry that they expect to be able to do nothing more than fill their vehicles with gas and maybe change the oil once or twice a year and their vehicle will be trouble-free for 10 years. It just doesn't work that way.

I parked next to an older Explorer the other day. Two of the tires were WAY underinflated. I'm familiar with what a tire looks like when it has only 10 or 15 pounds in it, and that's what these 2 tires looked like. They were both on the driver's side, so how can the driver of that vehicle have any excuse for not noticing? Especially with all of the Explorer/Firestone junk going on, you would think that people might take a little bit of an interest in their own vehicles and their own safety. Instead, they'll wait until something bad happens, figure out who else to blame it on, then sue that other person/company.

I'll stop ranting now. Happy new year to everybody.
  • Options
    arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Yesterday we took my son to the movies. During the previews we saw one for a new movie coming out in March (I think) called "Spy Kids".

It looked pretty funny and the premise is that the parents are the world's two top secret agents that get captured, their two kids find out about it and what their mom and dad really do and have to save the day. You know, stuff that happens every day...LOL!

Anyway guess what the mom is driving the kids to school in at the start of the preview. A Dragon Green Trooper Limited!

Then a couple of scenes later the dad (Antonio Banderas) is getting ready to get into an obviously "tricked out for spy work" AXIOM!

Great to see Isuzu getting this kind of exposure and, I think, pretty clever marketing on their part!

Hope everyone's having a great New Year!

-Dave

P.S. - drmperalta, paisan and bluedevils...I agree totally on people who don't properly maintain their vehicles then are the first to blame someone else when they have a problem or accident!

Sad to say that a large segment of our society today refuses to take responsibility for their own actions and are, to hear them tell it, always the "victims"!!!!

Bugs the s**t out of me!

I'll get off my soapbox now...have a great day!
  • Options
    david55839david55839 Member Posts: 10
    Mark - The Monroematics did make an improvement in the ride. I didn't know the bushing tightness would affect it as well. I had a local shop install them with the OEM upper bushings as you suggested. I didn't monitor the tightness, and I'm a little reluctant to start messing with it now. Isuzu also replaced my OEM Bridgestones with the new Michelin Cross Terrains. The dealer inflated the pressure to 32psi which I immediately adjusted to the recommended 26psi. The ride is definetely better and the aggravating highway vibration in finally gone as well. The ride is hard to judge somewhat because of the deteriorating streets here in Milwaukee, but the CR-V definitely handles the potholes better; I guess due to it's unibody construction. I sometimes wonder if I should have purchased another CR-V, but I was seduced by the heft and the V-6 of the Rodeo. Oh well.

On that other topic, I too am baffled by the lack of basic care people take of their vehicles. When I see an underinflated tire on a moving vehicle, I try and flag the driver at a light. Usually I get that 'deer in a headlights' response that seems to say, "How could I have a flat?" It takes all kinds.

Anyway, have a great year, everyone.

David
  • Options
    Non-Caring Drivers: Yeah, it's pretty sad, everyone thinks their computers, cars and anything should work like a TV or household appliance, totally hands free of any work. I am pretty meticulous with my trooper, mostly because I've had a load of junky old cars that if not taken care of would leave me stranded. Enough of my ranting though!

Michiline Tires: How do they handle in snow/wet so far? Although I have almost a complete replacement set of Duellers for my Trooper, I'm sure I'll need to get new tires for it eventually, I've heard the Pirelli Scorpions are really good too.

Movies: I just hope that Isuzu doesn't end up like Apple, they are in every movie, but are still broke :(

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage

PS: The Hella 4000s with city lights are awsome. I'll write some more in Aftermarket section
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I read somewhere that the Trooper spec for tire pressure is 30 front and 35 rear...am I mistaken? I'll have to look at the door sticker when my Troop gets back from the dealer.
  • Options
    I think you are correct. I usually do +5 on what they say for safety sake. I do 35F 40R much more stable, and better gas milage.

-mike
  • Options
    gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    There was a ABC PrimeTime report about these systems. Apparently the Sequoia, Mercedes and some others have it. They say it changes the brake application and the engine speed? during maneuvers where sliding out (for example of the back end) may initiate. My question is doesn't 4WD TOD on the trooper behave very similarly when brakes are not being applied and wouldn't the antilock brake feature also provide such stability if braking. I did a rapid maneuver at ~25 mph with 4WD TOD engaged and had perfect stability in my '99 trooper S.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...I'm finally catching my breath after the holidays madness, etc. How is everyone faring with the transition from the old to new software? Now, that's a loaded question, hunh? ;-) Yes, it didn't go as smoothly as hoped, but I've yet to see any transition of this magnitude, so some bugs were bound to appear.

Now, what can I do for the Isuzu Club? Are there other discussions you would like to add? Are you interested in setting up a live chat? Let me know!

KarenS
    Owner's Club host
  • Options
    Well if you could put us in contact with an Isuzu rep like the subie people have, that would be cool :)

The new software is coming along... :)

Live chat would be nifty, I'm not sure when is good for people on here.

Thanks again for your help!

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Options
    I don't know quite how Edmund's Live Chats work, but I am finding the current forums to be very adequate. It's nice to have the discussions somewhat organized by topic area. Thanks for your help, Karen.

Having an Isuzu rep involved with the site would be tremendous. I don't know what you could do to help make that happen, though.
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Hi everybody i usually post in subaru forum, the reason i am in this site today is that my son in law has a 1993 Rodeo he has the plexiglass door visors on the doors the ones that allow you to have the window a little bit open on a wet day.
    Anyway one of these has got broken and he cannot find the same style, apparently any that are offered now are shorter than what he has for the front, if anybody in this forum has an origional set or can point him in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
    his e-mail address is lionspride@aol.com.
    cheers Pat.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I would like to see this subject changed to general or add a general section. I don't like the "meet the members" title.

Otherwise the forum is working OK. I haven't decided if I like searching through multiple boards everyday vs having 1 most popular subject, but it seems to be generating a lot of traffic so OK. It is also much better now that we don't have to work hard to login and post messages.
  • Options
    If people are going to post more here than just introduce themselves, then maybe we do need another forum with a more general name. There is a lot of discussion in this forum that doesn't really fall into my impression of what a "Meet the Members" forum should be. Good suggestion, sbcooke.
  • Options
    Maybe it should be Meet the Members/General Discussion?

Or just generate a new one called Isuzu General Discussion?

-mike
  • Options
    I like the idea of having a separate forum where people can "register" and provide details about themselves and their vehicle. Maybe we should add a "General forum" then, although my impression is that some of the stuff discussed in Meet the Members does fit into some of the other existing forums.
  • Options
    Meet the Members could be the place where new folks post a bit about who they are, their Isuzu, etc. And then maybe a general discussion that doesn't necessarily always pertain to your Isuzu? Like Isuzu Cafe? Just a suggestion. It's your place, I'm just the waitress here. :-)

KarenS
    Owner's Club host
  • Options
    bama53bama53 Member Posts: 2
    After lurking the edmunds web site for quite some time, I decided to join the discussions here. I enjoy all of the posts regarding our beloved Troopers. I have a 1997 LS with all the trimmings. My wife and I purchased this vehicle in September from the Nashville Tennessee area where we live. The truck only had 26,000 miles on it. We love it and have gotten to use it in the snow recently. I look forward to talking about modifications with you, as I am not much of a mechanic.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I say keep this topic until it hits 200 posts. Then freeze it and rename it Isuzu Members - Part II. That way we don't have to add any new topics, but don't lose the member theme?
  • Options
    I'd have put this in the "General" topic, but we don't have it yet so I'm posting it here...

The January 30 issue of Auto World Weekly (also www.autoworldweekly.com) has a short take on the 2001 Trooper. It's a "A Week With..." type of article. Only 2 pages, and not as much analysis as I was hoping for. But Trooper press coverage is pretty hard to come by, so any press coverage is a good thing. The article had mostly positive things to say, and the subtitle was something like "Still rugged, but now more refined."

The most disappointing thing about the article was that it didn't give any compelling reasons why the Trooper is a good choice for buyers. E.g. excellent value when you compare actual selling price (not MSRP), quality, durability, etc. I guess that's not something you should expect out of that type of article, though.

By the way, I really like that magazine. Despite the name, I think it's published only every 2 weeks. Lots of vehicle reviews, which is the main reason I read automotive mags.
  • Options
    It sux that reviews always go by MSRP. The new subaru VDC is stickered at over $32K, but sells for like $29K, and the reviews are ripping them for being over $30K... If only the reviewers had a real feel for what is happening in the real world instead of their tiny slice of it...

-mike
  • Options
    arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Mike, you probably read the same review I did in Car and Driver! The reviewer said for nearly $32K he would rather have an A4 Avant (also an INCREDIBLE car!) but that FAR from tells the whole story! Not only is the VDC discounted as you say but to get an Audi A4 Avant similarly equipped would be nearly $38K. NOT APPLES TO APPLES, although I will admit if they really were the same price I'd probably take the Audi.

The Trooper would undoubtedly win most if not all of the comparisons that it (rarely) gets included in if only actual the selling price was considered. Oh well, I really don't care when all is said and done. The Trooper sells well enough world wide that it will be around forever anyway and the lucky few of us who have bothered to investigate it have a vehicle that only 13,000 people get to buy a year in the US. This is probably the only vehicle I've ever owned that I don't see myself around every corner...LOL!
  • Options
    deimosdeimos Member Posts: 57
    Hi,

I'm Marian, we have a '99 Rodeo (I believe that in terms of packaging is similar to the LS version sold in the States, without the power windows/locks, cruise control and CD player...Just didn't want to pay CAN 4K more on those when buying it new)

It is a V6, 4WD, five speed, LSD, 4 wheel disk ABS brakes, skid plates, etc...

It has running boards, brush guard, tail garnishes, bug deflector, roof rack, wind and rain windows deflectors, fog lights, alarm system and only 23.000 km so far.

The price for the new truck was about CAN 29K + tax + some rust/paint/fabric/sound protection(half price) that we bought....The wind and rain deflectors were adds-on from Germany (Expensive, but I thought they'd solve the noise issue when driving with the windows opened. They didn't...:))

I've just changed the OEM shocks with the Monroe Sensatracs and I'm about to put in a CD player/ AM/FM instead of the factory cassette/AM/FM...

The handling seemed to have improved with the Sensatracs (less roll, I think, more in control overall)...

We mainly do on road(highway and some city driving, especially in the winter)...Done very limited off-road so far (e.g. climbing rocks by some lakes in our national parks)

The only times when I've used 4WD Lo was when climbing those rocks or when getting out of deep snow(stuck with the 4WD Hi)...

4WD Hi? On snow, ice, etc...Mainly we keep it in 2WD and I have a feeling that because of the LSD the truck (even if with rear wheel drive) has better traction then our front wheel drive sedan in snow and such...:)

We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

It seems to me like a great truck!

Enjoy yours!

Cheers,
    Marian
  • Options
    shadowman750shadowman750 Member Posts: 1
    Hey members, just wanted to say hi
  • Options
    Don't forget about Friday Freeway Chat at 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET. Everyone is welcome!

KarenS
    Owner's Clubs host
  • Options
    troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    There's a set of Trooper wheels with Bridgestone tires currently on ebay if anyone is interested. Seller claims wheels and tires are like new. The auction closes in two days and current high bid is only $211. This would be a steal if someone wants extra wheels for off road or snow tires.

Here's a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=539533741&r=0&t=0
  • Options
    I'm interested in them, he is located in Staten Island where I am, but if anyone is interested in bidding on them, and wants me to verify the goods, I'll do it for yah. Hopefully I'll pick em up relatively cheap since they are the rims I actually wanted originally for my truck! At the very least, I'll have backup rims and tires :)

-mike
  • Options
    He'd probably let you pick them up. You could bid a little more than the next guy since you wouldn't have to pay shipping. My experience on ebay is that it's best to wait until one minute (or less) before the auction is over and then bid the highest you're willing to pay. Good luck!
  • Options
    Just be sure you have a fast connection and have everything you need typed in--I outbid someone once when they entered in the last 30 seconds.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Hi!! I live in the mountains of North Carolina and have a 2000 Trooper L which we bought in November 2000 for about $23,500. So far I've added Hella fog lights in the bumper cutouts, tinted the windows w/35% film and replaced all four door speakers. I'm very happy with all the add-ons. We have had cold weather and snow this winter like many of you and the TOD has been great. Normally in dry weather I use 2WD, but in winter I leave it in TOD most of the time. I find 4W Lo very useful in going down my icy driveway(200 ft) and other downhill, icy roads in the area. Keeps me from having to use the brakes. I have not had any type of problem with traction at all. On our previous 96 Trooper L I had to constantly change from 2WD to 4WD as winter road conditons changed. With TOD that's a "not to worry". I will eventually change shocks to improve the ride and put MIchelin LTX tires on it when the Duelers wear out. The 2000 Trooper is by the far the most versatile vehicles I've had. Took it to Texas this Holidays and the ride was smooth and the 6 CD changer a real treat. Hope all of you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours.
  • Options
    I can't wait to get up in the morning and see if Mike gets the wheels. Best I can tell it looks like the high bidder just outbid himself this evening. That can only mean he's getting nervous and upped his high bid. This may not be a steal after all.
  • Options
    I think the guy is some kind of dealer. I chatted with him on IM yesterday and he was very shady. The rims are off his "friend's" truck and he isn't sure how many miles are on the tires. He is bidding on his own stuff and upping the bid. I bid like $250 on em and it immediately beat me out. When I was talking to him, I asked "how much do you want for the rims?" and he basically said I'll see what I can get on e-bay. Go Figure!

-mike
  • Options
    I'm sure he is some sort of dealer. If you click on "see sellers other auctions" you'll see that he has 16 sets of wheels on ebay right now.

I don't think he's bidding on his own stuff though. That's usually easy to track if someone is doing that. The same ebay ids would be showing up on all of his auctions. I looked through all of his auctions and didn't see the same id bidding on more than one. I'm confident that part is legit, but it does make you wonder where the wheels really came from.

I don't know how familiar you are with ebay, but regarding the price immediately going up... the way it works is the high bidder will only be the minimum bid increment over the next bidder. Right now the wheels are $277.50 The minimum bid increment is $5.00. So even if you bid $1000 right now, ebay will only put your bid at $5.00 over the other persons high bid.

For example, even though the price is now $277.50, the person with that bid may have a max bid of say $300. If you bid $280, then he would still be the high bidder at $285. Then if you bid $290, he'd still be on top at $295. But if you bid $350, then you'd be on top with a bid of $305, besting the current high bidder by $5.00. That's why it's best to wait until the very last minute and just bid your max bid. It's fun to find a hot auction and hit the "reload" button during the last two minutes of the auction. There's usually a flurry of activity.

One other tip... most people bid in round numbers (ie 250, 275, 300 etc.) Many people win by bidding odd numbers like $256.78. I've won auctions by $.05 before by doing this!
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been using e-bay since before they were e-bay (forgot the old company name) The reason I say he is bidding on this product is there is only one other bidder, and the id is also from aol, and it has the same initials... J something or other, and when I spoke to him, he said his name was john...

-mike
  • Options
    If the tires are in good shape that was a pretty good deal for someone.
  • Options
    We've had some past discussions on TP. Someone started a new SUV topic on AWD vs 4WD (pertaining to buying an explorer) in SUVs, and I noted that they might think about a trooper with 4WD TOD (bad judgement on my part because of the exploder loyalists). I also said they could avoid the Firestone tire/rollover problem with a trooper. People over there are sensitive as hell about that, but the fact of the matter is FORD screwed up with the psi recommendation against Firestone's recommendation because Firestone knew that tire was crap at 26 psi. I have not seen Isuzu try to lower down TP or recommend it.
  • Options
    Is the reccommended for the Trooper.

-mike