Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• acolaacola Member Posts: 10
    Need a new cover, as the one on the '99S I just purchased is scratched and missing a couple of letters.

Any suggestions????

Thanx,
    acola
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Your fuel economy still seems a bit low - even at 80mph, I would expect the 3.5L Troopers to do better than 15mpg. I guess that's one more reason for me not to drive my Trooper that fast!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    @ 80mph. That's about what I get going upstate NY 15-16mpg.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Occasionally you will see one on ebay...
  • twnisbetttwnisbett Member Posts: 11
    Why does the vehicle get better mileage in warmer weather? I always thought that the colder weather would be better (unless you're running fans/defoggers, etc.), since the air is more dense, thus the engine should be more efficient. Not true?
    I don't know why, but my vehicles have always gotten worse gas mileage in fairly cold weather (30-35 degrees Fahrenheit or colder). Once the temperature gets to 40 degrees or above, I've never noticed a difference between 40 and 90, or anything in between.

I don't know if this is because the winter gas formulations cause lower fuel economy, or if vehicles somehow do not run as efficiently when the air is very cold.
  • atltrooper1atltrooper1 Member Posts: 11
    I had an opportunity to attend the auto show in Atlanta this past weekend. I like the Axiom better in real life than photos. It's actually pretty cool, modern styling, current features and proven, heavy-duty driveline components. There was something that I noticed on the Trooper conflicted with something I had read on one of the boards. I took the info from the message board as correct and then repeated it. Shame on me... Someone had said the '00&later model Troopers had gone back to a hydraulic, no-service valve adjustment system. On the emissions label of the Trooper on display it specified valve clearance. The specification of valve clearance implies that it can and needs to be adjusted. It would appear that the 00 & newer Troopers have the same system as ('98's and) my 99, a shim-type mechanical lifter. If anyone can put this issue to rest definitively I would appreciate it. Thank-you.
    Chris L
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Part of it is that when the engine is cold the oil is thick, harder to move parts through thick oil, components not up to normal operating temperature, wheels and grease in the bearings all heavy and thick, transmission oils and/or fluids are thick and harder to move around etc. etc.all of which takes more energy to get that 3,000 + pound beast down the road. Hot (normal operating temp) engines are the most efficient Fuel air mixture moslty fuel when the engine is cold. Any engineers in the audience???
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    All other things being equal, cold air is more dense than warm air. Thus, more fuel must be mixed with it in order to achieve the correct stoichiometric ratio. Oxygenated fuel also has less energy in it than "straight" gas. You must burn more of it to achieve a particular amount of power.

Tom
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Colder temperatures probably have an adverse effect on mileage, especially when truck is cold, higher idle revs maybe. However, the air intake system supposedly has a variable air routes that takes cold air and gives it a longer route to warm it and warmer air a shorter path because it needs less. This should deliver similar power at all temperatures, and not require flooring it to go any faster when warm or cold.
    I was under the impression that the varibale intake varied based on pedal depression/RPMs not intake temperature? I could be wrong though.

-mike
    ...are switched based on rpm. I believe the switch from the long runners to the short runners occurs at about 3,600 rpm, for better hp at high rpm.
    Alternator went out on my 97 Rodeo 3.2L and the dealer wants $325 for the part alone. What was the name of that discount parts dealer for Isuzus??? WOW.
    You think that is bad? My '88 subaru XT6 they want $200 from Pep-boys. Usually what I do is pull the unit and get it re-cored, this can be done for around $35. The internet dealer was st. charles subaru, not sure of the city though KS maybe?

-mike
  • ppounceyppouncey Member Posts: 19
    http://www.stcharlesauto.com

they offer an internet discount
    you can see the parts guys through their webcam
    They are located in St.Louis, MO
    great, friendly, knowlegeable people to deal with
    HTH,

Pat.
    yes, a great outfit.

St. Charles Isuzu is good, also try Best Isuzu. Both of these dealers aggressively pursue parts business nationwide.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Has anyone noticed a gas-type smell outside their trooper (from the engine compartment) when it is started when cold. I've noticed that recently. It goes away within a minute after starting. No ill effects from it. Revs are at 1500 and go down to normal during warm-up.
    Interesting. They quoted me a rebuilt alternator with a sticker price of $15 more then a new one from the dealer. After discount it was $35 less then a new one. I guess that I expected greater discounting. A ford dealer I use prices internet sales at 15% over cost. Isuzu seems more like 25-50% over cost.

Anyway, so far very dissapointed in the cost of repair parts for these, astronimical compare to even Toyota and Nissan.
    Yes, I have noticed that also. I assumed it is just because the computer dumps extra fuel into the engine in cold start mode...not really sure though.
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Yes, I think it's what you said, because I didn't smell it last night and it was about 45 deg F. Usually, you would never notice inside the vehicle, but if you start it and are outside doing ice or snow scraping then you smell it.
  • spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    Hey Pat,

The bracket that was rattling actually was one of the main brackets that held the display in tact. It was located directly behind the odometer. Man, I was glad to have that one fixed.

I hope that helps.

Steve
    Hey SB,

I did look at the tires side by side. They are both Duelers 684's.

I have since then fooled with the tire pressure slightly and brought it up to MFG spec. It has certainly gotten better. I think I was running the tires at too low of an air pressure. 27psi front, 27psi back to try and soften the ride. This caused the tires to wear more smooth in the center, less smooth on the sides.

They are getting better though. I'll wait until these are worn down and go with the Michelin LXT M/S. I need that smooth highway ride.

Steve
    I bought the Extended Warranty the same time I bought my 2000 Trooper Limited. It cost me $750 to extend the bumper to bumper to 7 years, 75k. I still think it was worth it. It is transferable as well which helps the resale value should I decide to sell the Trooper at some point.

Steve
  • iridiumflashiridiumflash Member Posts: 10
    I could use some feedback from the board before I call the dealer. I have a 1999 Trooper S 4WD. I'll explain my problem:

- When starting off from a standstill at light throttle, with 4WD Auto engaged, the indicator lights for the front wheels fully light up (three green LED bars) and there is a mechanical whining sound (presumably of the TOD engaging). It almost "seems" as if the 'system' is slipping but not the wheels.

- This occurs in normal conditions (i.e. dry when TOD should not be engaging and power should be mostly to the rear wheels).

- This is definitely not right since it has never happened before. In order to drive, I have to shut-off 4WD Auto.

- I read through all posts on this board and could not find similar problem.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks much for any insight.
    Have you rotated your tires lately? I had problems with a whining on my Trooper with whining when one of my tires (a rear one) was 1/2" smaller than the other 3. Anytime the tire diameters are smaller or larger you will run into problems. Check the FAQ on http://isuzu-suvs.com if there is one for it.

-mike

I had not washed my trooper since Jan (since we were having snow every week) and noticed yesterday that the 5-spoke wheels have taken a pretty good beating from the salt etc. Has anyone found something good for cleaning off the oxidation that forms and migrates outward from the slot?
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    Steve-

I'll check it asap. Whether it works for me or not, thanks a lot.

-PP

["The bracket that was rattling actually was one of the main brackets that held the display in tact. It was located directly behind the odometer."]
  • iridiumflashiridiumflash Member Posts: 10
    Mike -

Thanks for the post. I haven't had the tires rotated recently. I only have 14,000 miles on the vehicle and OEM tires. It's my wife's vehicle and she does not use it much.

Interesting about the diameter issue. I'll check the tire pressure in case one is way out of whack. But I didn't notice anything that off visually. I'll check out the link too.

Thanks again for the post. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I have a feeling I will not be satisfied with my dealer's response.
    Had more check TOD light activity on friday night. Heavy rain, lots of puddles, same as other times I've had problems with the light. I thinkt he connector is shorting out. It will be going back to the dealer for that and the rear wiper, since it doesn't clear properly (even after replacing the wiper (blade and springy thing that attaches to the arm) Also anyone notice the tail-pipe rusting? I have only had it since june and plan to find out if they'll replace it since it's rusting very pre-maturely.

-mike
    I noticed my '99 (it was put on the road in June '99 and I bought it end of summer 2000) had some rust on the tailpipe. I mentioned it when I was buying it and the dealer said that they would check it. Apparently, its only surface type discoloration and not into the pipe type rust. It has not become any worse or different.
    I wonder if the 4WD actuator mechanism is working? If it didn't actually engage the 4WD, the TOD computer would interpret the front as slipping and move power to the front, lighting up all three bars on your display...
    My tailpipe is also starting to rust after two salt-infested winters, and the underside of the muffler has a LOT of surface rust.

Mike, I would be shocked if any dealer replaced your tailpipe under warranty. Such is life in the "Rust-belt"!
  • centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    I noticed a series of posts over at the ITOG site regarding replacement of the transfer case fluid. I had just assumed that my 1999 Trooper required gear oil. Referring to my owner's manual proved confusing, at least to me. The main print indicated motor oil and the fine print SEEMED to state that ATF was used in TOD vehicles. Per the ITOG poster the latter option is correct.

You might check this out for yourself at http://165.113.128.10:81/$WEBMSG.Read.ITOG-3.8928

IIRC it's ATF fluid, but I could be wrong.

-mike
    IS ATF, but I know what you mean about the manual, it is structured poorly so you can't tell that the transfer case that needs motor oil is NOT the TOD transfer case, but is instead the transfer case for the base 5-speed model.

I was also confused for a while whether the TOD unit was IN ADDITION TO or INSTEAD OF the regular transfer case. Eventually I was able to determine that the TOD unit REPLACES the regular transfer case.
    I was running my tires at 36 rear and 34 front. Since I added a bull bar, about 60 lbs over stock bumper, I noticed the front tires starting to wear a little more on the outside than the rears. I bumped them up to 36 all the way around. 27 psi is pretty low, oversand, I usually run at 25 psi, when I don't have access to an air pump (15 otherwise). You will notice a lot more noise when the pressure is lower, plus some roll.
    Have you tried engaging 4 low and then back out? Perhaps it is just a problem with the system properly engaging? It could be a loose vacuum hose, causing the air locker system to not propely engage?
    I've burned about a third of a quart in a 1000 miles and looks like the durablend will make no difference in the 1 qt per 3000 miles. This burning oil seems odd too me, although I suppose according to Isuzu its normal. Is it slipping past the rings? I've never worried about adding oil in any vehicle I've driven for many years.
    I remember some previous discussions about premature tailpipe rusting at www.itog.com. I think this is another one of those extremely common, aka "normal," things. I bought my Trooper when it was a year old. It was in the San Diego area for the first year as a corporate Isuzu vehicle. The tailpipe was already rusty. I don't think it's caused by the weather. Seems strange since my window sticker says "stainless steel exhaust" but hey, what do I know.

As long as the thing doesn't fall off, it doesn't bother me.
    Yes, the owners manual is hard to decipher but it does indicate that TOD models use ATF in there. Actually, the 1998 Trooper owners manual is probably the trickiest of all. That year, the TOD was part of the optional Performance Package. So there were 3 Trooper drivetrains:

*5-speed manual trans with shift-on-the-fly 4WD (no TOD)
    *4-speed auto trans with shift-on-the-fly 4WD (no TOD)
    *4-speed auto trans with TOD

I've changed the TOD fluid in my 98 Trooper twice. First time I drained it, it was a cherry red fluid so I'm assuming that it was ATF!

Using a blend is useless, most blends contain no more then 10% true synthetic oil. Notice they never tell you on the container exactly how much concentration of synthetic is in it. Try a true 100% synthetic next time, Mobil 1, Amsoil or RedLine. Castrol Syntec is not a true synthetic but a reformulated petroleum oil that the courts have said is okay to market as synthetic. See Car & Driver Nov 200 Issue for details. If the 100% synthetic does not decrease the oil usage then go back to petroleum and live with it.
    Well oil consumption is easy to live with (just different) considering all the pluses such as a longlived engine, good quality transmissions that hold-up, good quality brakes that don't need replaced every 20,000 miles, and the fact that this is a tough go anywhere SUV.
    Bluedevils, per one of the posters on the outdoor wire site the TOD vehicles also have a SOTF unit. It is on the driver's side of the front axle. I looked and my 1999 Auto TOD vehicle has a box there which is presumably the SOTF unit that takes the .13 qts of gear oil.
  • johnny_ringojohnny_ringo Member Posts: 30
    My '00 Trooper will not engage TOD (stopped/at speed/etc.). The TOD display keeps flashing until it eventually displays a 'check' warning. I cycled from 4H to 4L and back and it still will not engage.
    I had/have a similar problem. Try turning the car off and on, that usually re-sets the computer. Also did you drive through any big puddles or heavy rain with it? I found that after heavy rain or big puddles my TOD gets a bit finiky and displays the check light. I believe the electrical connections are getting wet and causing an error in the electronic engagement portion. My truck is due to hit the dealer for this problem and I'm gonna have em check to make sure it is sealed properly.

-mike
  • johnny_ringojohnny_ringo Member Posts: 30
    The issue first occurred last night and continued this morning. I may try the Paisan reboot trick (disconnect battery) tonight and see if that cures the issue.
    Last month our Trooper was at the dealer for a minor repair. Tonight we got a follow-up call from Isuzu asking a series of questions about how satisfied we were with the dealer's service.

Maybe the other manufactuer's also check up on their dealers. But as I hadn't bought a new car in decades, this technique was a pleasant surprise to me.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Wow, what a surprise to find oil in the spark plug well on the 3.2L engine. Anybody else seen this on their later model Troopers? Each well had its own characteristic condition and no two seemed to be exactly alike.
    I decided to replace my spark plugs the other night, since my engine now has 52,000 Miles on it. I had no idea it would be a 4 hour ordeal before it was finished. Yep, I said 4 hours. I spent about 2 hours on the last plug which has an interference, the brakes vacuum booster housing. That sucker is right in line with where you need your spark plug wrench extension to go. You better have multiple extension lengths ( which I have a couple but not one that I needed ) or an extension with a u-joint in it, before tackling this job. I finally came up with an alternate approach that worked, but with much frustration and worry. Back to my first statement... when I pulled the first plug connector out I noticed a small amount of baked out oil on the end of the boot. That surprised me a bit but I was really surprised when as I extracted the spark plug, there was heavy thick oil about an inch or so up the socket all the way down the plug threads to the electrode tip. WHAT?? Where in the world did that come from? I put some light down the well hole and sure enough I could see oil laying in the bottom up to the threaded spark plug hole. This was the front left side plug as you face the front of the engine. I pondered this a bit and decided to go ahead and install the new spark plug. By the way, these integral coil and plug boot combinations are just ingenious ideas. Bet it would cost a pretty penny to replace on if it fails! I moved to the 2nd plug and removed it. It too had a little oil down in the bottom of the well, but significantly less. The 3rd plug well was bone dry, and very clean. Looked like brand new. Moving to the right side of the engine, the front plug well was dry but had a bit of a rusty looking film in it. The next one back was clean, and the one on the back (the dirty rotten *&(@%$) was dry and mostly clean. The threads on it were very dry and it squeeked and crackled as I removed it, causing a cold sweat to break out on my forehead. It was about 40 F in the garage. The other plugs had been pretty tight, but nothing like this last one. I would suggest you don't wait until 50,000 mi. to do your first spark plug change. Anyway I inspected the threads and they were not pulled or deformed, whew!! All new plugs were installed and the vehicle started and runs fine!! Smooth as silk. But.. what is up with this oil around a couple of the plugs?? Anyone had this experience??
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Does kinda give you a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it. Hopefully you had good things to say about your visit to the dealer. This is a pretty common practice now for manufacturers to do follow up calls. Its called self-preservation. They will do this for the first couple visits you make and then its business as usual. I guess the "new" wears off, they've got your money, and they show the attention to the next new owner. That's kinda how it went with me, and a couple years later when I had a question about a problem, I couldn't find anyone interested enough to call me back and help me out. That's life!! Enjoy your moment in their light.