Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Can you email them to me? I am curious to see how it looks withthe grillle cut out...I am thinking of installing mine one on each side of the license place so I dont have to cut holes in the bumper , but I am curiosu to see how yours look.

ophiochus@yahoo.com
  • porkypetporkypet Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Dealer claimed the drive belt was misaligned and "re-aligned" it, but the problem still remains.

Is there a TSB on this item?

Thanks
  • cmr239cmr239 Member Posts: 12
    I would like to change the tire size on our Envoy, but I can't find a programmer (Hypertech, Superchip, etc.) to correct speedo, ABS, etc. Don't care about performance gains, (though our 4.2 could use some help) really just want the correction. Any help appreciated.
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    Check with your Chevy dealer. There was a service recall a few months ago that deals with sealing the black panel on the outside of the vehicle, underneath the wipers. This could be where you are getting the leak.

Gary
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    Pulled a 4runner a few miles without a trailor. No problem - didn't even feel it. Kept the gearing low. Not sure what long distance will do with tranny heat - but if it's within weight specs - should be fine.

02 TB I6

- WPK
  • novapullernovapuller Member Posts: 9
    thanks for the info! any easy way to tell rear end ratio? ie stickers or lables?
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Look inside the glove box and you will see a sticker with most installed equipment. GU6=3.42, GTS=4.10, and GT4=3.73. G80 is locking rear axle.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    I am attempting to determine if I have a fixable problem with cooling. Can anyone explain when the cooling fan is supposed to engage. What temp does it engage? Does AC make a difference? Is it all or nothing (enagaged or freewheeling) or does it engage in steps? I fear it is not engaging enough.

2003 5.3 V8 Chevrolet

Thanks for any help

Wxman
  • hornshorns Member Posts: 5
    I have the clicking tachometer noise on my 2002 Envoy. I didn't notice it until recently, but I may have had it all along. I nearly always listen to the radio and/or have the air-conditioner running. I only happened to notice it one day because I was idling with both off. Since I otherwise never hear it, I'm tempted just to ignore it. Are there any ill effects from letting it continue to tick? I do have another 3 years of extended warranty, but hate for people to mess around in the dash, changing out instruments if they don't really need to. Thanks.
  • champton488champton488 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Envoy SLE XL, and have the same issue. I took it into the dealer and they told me this is a normal thing and no repairs should be performed. The HVAC system has the ability to open and close the fresh air door at anytime. The purpose the this is to control evaporator temperatures and prevent evaportator freeze. The is in GM document ID# 1549175. I hope this helps.
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I hear the same thing in mine- an occasional click, tick, or rattle noise especially when I first start it up and the gages do a "reset". A friend had his fixed for the noisy tach problem; they sent out the cluster for repair and it now makes essentially the same noises as mine. I drove his TB last week to compare some "notes" before my warranty expires, and I heard it making the same noises I hear in mine. Asked him if it was actually fixed, yes, says it's a lot better now, said originally it was so bad it was a continuous noise, like a fan or motor running noise coming from the dash, so apparently a random tick or click, or rattle is "normal" (?). Would like to read some before-and-after repair reports about this since my WARRANTY exipires next week.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I had my cluster replaced for the noise about a year ago and no noise since. Now I have a slight rattle in the dash somewhere behind the glovebox. Little rattles drive me nuts. I put velcro on the dash (in front of key ingnition hole) and steering column to keep the key fob and keys from banging around. Took off all the roof racks for wind noise. Had the dealer replace all door seals and front door baffels (all under warranty) because of serious (pulling doors open in cross winds) wind noise. Now if I could just find me some used Rainier front door windows and windshield...
  • duffster03duffster03 Member Posts: 3
    Hi

My vehicle has gone out of warranty and now the sunroof is leaking. I checked the drain by running a weed whacker cord thru it and allot of water, it's open. It looks like it's leaking thru the joint where the side and front sunroof frames come together. Does anybody know of any recalls, or sealing material that could be used to make the joint waterproof?
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    My 02 TB doesn't make the "normal noise" from the tach. I think I will print out the posts regarding the "normal noise" and demand that my dealer fix mine, under warranty .
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    In my '02 LS TB, I just had an aftermarket Pioneer radio installed to get XM Direct connected (no FM modulation). I'm having the problem of about once in every three or four start ups of the TB, the Pioneer radio won't power on (I never turn it off) and when I do manually turn on the radio, it won't recognize the XM signal. Circuit City (I know, I know all the horror stories) has replaced all the XM and Pioneer equipment twice and the fix only lasts about a week. I'm wondering if the TB realizes this is not the factory radio and won't send a power on signal just to jerk me around. There is power when I hit the power button on the radio. To get XM, I either have to turn off the TB or pull off the faceplate (reboot) on the radio and push back on (dangerous to do while driving) and then it will recognize the XM signal. I love the radio and XM service when they are working (same factory speakers and no bass box or amp...). Anyone else with an aftermarket radio experience this power on issue?

Best Buy said I should have relocated the factory radio under the drivers seat and then run the wiring to the Pioneer radio for it to work properly.
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, I can see a point for the front maybe. Does the rear even ever draw in fresh air? My problem is with the rear blower. Not hurting much anyway, has only happened three times. Just a bit annoying to have the heat on in the front and suddenly feel cold air on your neck from the rear AC, when it is turned off.

Wxman
  • envoyenvy2envoyenvy2 Member Posts: 44
    I too had the tach noise no my '02 Envoy, very slight and not noticeable unless both air and radio are off. Also was tempted to not have anything done because of messages I had seen about it taking a while to take the dash out, but was a little leery about premature failure of the tach (also kinda picky about noises as well).

I mentioned it to my dealer when having punch list fixed before warranty expiration. They replaced and it is fine now. They did have to take the cluster out and get a number to order a replacement, but it only took around an hour to take it out for the number and another hour to put the new one in. I did have to make two trips, as it seems they only order when they can get a serial number, I guess for warranty with the supplier?

Haven't noticed any rattles or problems with the dash since. Passenger door seems to rattle from time to time, but I suspect that comes from either my wife leaving crap in the door pocket or something loose from her slamming the door when she gets mad at me :)
    I found a site that has useful info, someone may have posted it already:

http://www.sourcenet.ca:9001/servlets/Home

Actually has diagrams and instructions about adjusting the trim hight on the air suspension.I think someone asked about that lately. Was looking for something like this before I adjusted mine. Seems to have stuff from the service manual.
  • onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    My 03 Envoy has 29,000 miles and I have to decide if I should buy the extra protection...was just curious about the experiences of others here.... so far I've had very minor,easy problems but as with any time of insurance you never know....

Bobbie
  • dweissdweiss Member Posts: 4
    With only 15,000 miles the Service 4wd drive light came on our 2003 Envoy XL. Still under warranty, the dealer said that new software needed to be uploaded to solve the problem. Less than 2 weeks later, the light is on again, along with the light for the brake and airbag. Does anyone have any ideas or similar experience. The lights are not on every time the car is started (there can be entire trips without any lights).
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    I will strongly look at an extended warranty for my '03 Envoy this fall. No medium or large problems yet, but reading on this and other forums, when a problem pops up it can be expensive. Probably look to buy from Black, as they seem very competitive on price.
    What is replaced for the tach noise? Is it just the tach, or is the entire instrument cluster, i.e., all gauges? Thanks.
    They replace the entire instrument cluster.
    Just wanted to follow up that the dealer's conclusion was that the ground was faulty. He said there was slight oxidation and that it just needed to be cleaned up. I will see if that did the trick and will post again if the problem persists.
    When they replace the instrument cluster, what happens to the odometer? Is it reset to zero, or is it programmed with the current mileage somehow? Thanks.
    They will set the mileage to whatever it was originally.

I did notice that mine indicated a little less mileage, maybe a couple hundred miles. I had them order the new cluster right before going on a trip which put me just out of warranty, so figured they put it back under just to make it easier on themselves for the warranty claim.
  • cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    I had my IC replaced over a year ago and it went without a hitch. Took the Envoy in on Dec 22 at 4pm and got it back at 4pm on Dec 23. The IC comes out in one piece and they ship it out overnite to a regional repair center who turn it around in hours.

Chris
  • kennokenno Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been discussed a thousand times, but I think I'm having some electrical problems with my 02 TB. The engine started cutting out a couple times on my way to work, and then finally died. All my accessories stayed on, and seemed to have good voltage. I tried to turn it over twice but only got clicking as if it didn't have enough juice. I turned off the key for 5 secs and it fired right up. This leads me to believe that I either have a short somewhere, my battery connection is bad, or a computer is going bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solid findings for this situation before I pour money down a mechanic. Please send me your thoughts.
    When attempting to go from this forum back to the main "forums" folder, I always wind up on a blank page and have to "back" my way out.

Frank
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Frank,

Can you report it over in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... and include what browser and operating system you are using? Thanks; and you may want to clear your cache and cookies and see if that helps.

I haven't heard any similar reports although at least one member is getting an Apache server error this weekend.

thanks,

Steve, Host
    The Service 4wd drive is back on! Doesn't seem like anything done to-date (re-grounding the computer and uploading new software) has done anything. Is there anyone out there with any ideas on this? The truck seems fine mechanically.
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    02 LTZ

I went to do a oil change yesterday and I always use ramps to pull the front end up on. So that they don't slide away when I drive up on them I always put the TB in 4x4 low. Well I noticed that the little 4x4 light on my dash wasn't working. I went ahead and put it in 4x4-low and the ramps kept sliding away from the front wheels. I'm going out on a limb here and assumming the 4x4 is not working. Can this just be as simple as a fuse or something?
  • trailblazer154trailblazer154 Member Posts: 2
    You can re program the locks in the trailblazer to 3 functions, just look in the owner's manual. If you don't want the computer to lock the doors for you the manual tells you how to turn off the function.
  • trailblazer154trailblazer154 Member Posts: 2
    Make sure that the trailblazer is in neutral while switching to 4x4 lo
  • boobybooby Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Has anyone replaced there 3' long muffler with a Cheery Bomb muffler or the like (straight through) and left the rear resonator in place.

How was the sound and the performance.
  • bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    I did, It was. The little light indicator on the dash is not on even in 2 wheel drive. That is why I was wondering if it might just be a fuse??
  • hoppy2hoppy2 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at an 02 33,000 miles. Curious as to the problems that everyone has encountered? Is the reliability as bad as consumer reports states?
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Considering your looking at an 02, possibly. Didin't the trailbalzer come out as a very early 02 model in spring of 2001? The 03s and later have been more reliable. LTZ also has lots of little gadgets that tended to have problems. An LT or LS might be a better choice.

I saw your post over in the Honda Pilot board too. The Pilot might be a bit weak to pull your boat (3500 lbs.) on a regular basis. Make sure it has the tow package installed. A dealer can install it for about $1000 to $1200.

Look into a newer used Trailblazer or even a new one. Have a sales guy price one out before you simply say its too expensive. With all the discounts you might be suprised.

Another possible route is a used Tahoe/Yukon. Its not that much bigger.

--jay
    IMO, the 02 TB was a proving ground for Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong, it will. From bumper to bumper and brakes to roof racks. It's all been documented here for nearly 4 years.
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    I don't know what all problems you could be talking about. I've had a 02 TB LS since Aug 01 when they came out. Other than the battery needing to be replaced because it started to leak, this was covered under warrenty, and an O2 sensor going bad, this was also covered, the only other things were recall fixes, which weren't giving me problems.

I believe it just all depends as to when the vehicle was made. If on a monday, you have workers tired from the weekend. If on a friday, you have workers that want to go home for the weekend. : )

I enjoy my TB better than the newer ones. From what I am reading, the newer ones doen't have as much on them as mine did stock.
    That's exactly what I am talking about. I am not saying any one Trailblazer has had all of the problems. But for 4 years we have read of so many problems, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a used TB, especially an 02. There have been some serious and some not so serious problems. Why is it that after 100 years, GM still can't make a wiper motor that doesn't leak and short out when it rains? Delco has been making car batteries for a long time, why do they still leak? My drivers side rearview mirror is so dark , I can't see much from it. The engine fan roars like a jet engine when it wants to, not when it needs to, just when it wants to. The heater has to be set to 90 to warm up. When the temps get to zero or so, the engine sounds like its about to fall apart when you start it. Now the front end sounds like it is about to fall apart when going over bumps. BTW, my 02 has less than 30 k miles on it. IMO, 02 Trailblazers built on days that end in "Y" will have problems. It has NOTHING to do with the workers assembling the cars, the fit and finish are fine, there haven't been any soda cans found in body panels etc. Again, IMO it has to do with the engineering.
    I have an 02 LS with 69,000 trouble free miles. When it was new it needed the weatherstrip around the license plate plastic trim and the wiper recall just a few months ago. Other than that very solid, comfortable and enjoyable. Test drive it, get a feel for it, you can usually tell if a car is trouble when you test drive it. From my experience they are solid reliable suvs and if I could do it again I would :) Plus the 02s have a lot more content than the new ones do, I am thankful for my LS with body color side mouldings, glove box light, and a dome light for each door, very pleased :)
    hey 2kimpala, how difficult was it to install? Do you have those pictures, I woudl love to see how it looks :)
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Hey all, first time poster.

I see references to teh tach noise, and I think I may have it. To me, it is a strange sort of gurgling, slurping sound from the driver's side dash, when ignition is turned on, and when just idling. I know that is an odd description, but it sounds vaguely like someone slowly slurping a straw when their drink is just about empty!

It has also been very cold in my area recently, and as usual, this seems to affect my car more than it should. It turns over slowly, and eventually starts. But it takes about 5-10 seconds for the voltage level to rise above the "1/4 value of the gauge" (I don't know the number at that postion). Then the voltage will jusmp up to slightly past the halfway point of the gauge, RIGHT AS THAT ODD NOISE BEGINS. The headlights are very dim until that voltage rises. I think there is an electrical problem too, but that is another story (I have had a dead battery after leaving the car sitting for 4 days - in warm weather)...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Spiff72
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    That's it. If it bothers you, take it in and they'll replace the whole instrument cluster if it's stillunder warranty. If you don't replace it, nothing bad will happen. You may even forget about it.
    Doesn't sound like the noise my tach made. Mine was impossible to hear unless you turned off the AC fan and the radio. When you were at idle and revved the engine a bit, it would make a "rustling" noise when the tach went back to idle rpm. Sounded kind of like small gears rubbing a bit.
    Now that you mention it, I think it could sound like rustling leaves. It is hard to describe! Anyway, while the engine is running, the AC and radio do need to be turned off to hear it, so it might still be the same thing.

I need to get it in for the brake light recall, so I will mention it then (still under warranty). I just thought it was odd that the voltage fluctuation seemed to coincide with the noise.

Thanks,

Spiff72
    Update:

My wife was driving it yesterday so I couldn't take a look at it until this morning.

As I turn on the ignition, I hear the noise, but it doesn't seem to coincide with the tach, as it doesn't move until the engine is started. If anything, it might be making the noise as the fuel gauge moves. (It could even be the voltmeter, but I happened to be watching the fuel gauge when I did it this morning). I will watch the volts again when I try it next time.

Thanks.
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Member Posts: 30
    I knew it was too good to be true. I bought an Ascender in 03. V8 Limited. I loved it for 1 year then it started falling apart. Back in August it developed a vibration at 65mph. Took it to the dealer, over the past 5 months they've rotated the tired twice, balanced the driveshaft, was only out 0.02. not enough to cause the vibration and put in , (yes) 2 brand new rear ends. The vibration is getting worse. Now its between 60-75 Mph with the largest vibration at 70mph. The rearview mirror is about to fall off due to the loud high speed vibration, You would think it's the driveshaft. now I'm getting a new set of springs. should have them by next week

I'm filling with the BBB. i want a new vehicle,

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Your problem sounds like one I periodically experience with my 1998 Aurora.

Have you tried having a road-force balance (special - not the same as a normal tire balance), with matching, done? This is where a shop uses a Hunter GSP 9700 machine to apply a counterforce to the tire, more closely approximating the balance under load.

The "matching" component also finds the high and low spot of the tire and the rim, allowing the tire shop to put the highs and lows together.

You can find a shop with one of these machine, and more background on it, by visiting http://www.gsp9700.com

Hope this helps,

--Robert