Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    The Mazda MPV is quite often overlooked in the mini-van market place. It offers a great blend of features and versatility.

Don't let the MPV's smaller appearance fool you... Mazda's opti-spacing engineering gives you plenty of useful room inside and is by far one of the best handling, and sportiest looking, mini-vans available.

The middle row has the slide and glide feature... you can have second row captains with a center walk through or a second row bench with passenger side access.

The middle row seats are able to recline,slide forward and backward, and fold over. They can be removed quite simply.

The third row can stow in the rear deep well for cargo. When up, the third row can recline or fold over. Also very unique, the third row can flip over rearward to offer tailgate seating out of the rear of the MPV.

The Mazda MPV is a great value when it comes to all things considered. Price, performance, content are awesome attributes when buying a new one but also exceptional factors when it comes to purchasing a pre-owned.

ZOOM ZOOM
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I went to the Philly Auto Show on Feb 4th, 06. got a good look at alot of vehicles. The MPV jumped right up onto the list on poss. replacements for our '01 Escape XLT 4WD. The nice thing is that it's not as large as the GCV or the ODY on the out side but boy-howdy is there alot of room on the inside. We got 6 6'+ 250lbs+ adults into the MPV with 2 strollers we borrowed from 2 passing families just to see if it would all fit. Guess what, it did and all 6 of us were comfortable and it was easy to get in and out.
    My list for replacemnents include;
    1. '06 Pontiac SV6
    2. '06 Mazda MPV LX
    3. '06 Ford Freestyle SEL
    4. '06 Nissan Quest SL

The Quest might be dropping off the radar with the price limit that we have to deal with.
    As for the MPV we would end up with the LX model in Strat Blue Mica (or Shadow Gray) with gray/black int. for options, we would go for the LX package, Sport Package, Side mother-in-laws, Traction Control, Roof rack, and Trailer hitch mount (for bike carrier) which would bring full total of $27,090 before any rebates / incentives.

Odie
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I bought an 05 Quest SL last year for $25,175 with a few options. The MPV has it's plusses but we really like our Quest. Resale is much better.

We also priced a Dodge Caravan SXT (not Grand Caravan - the shorter version). You can buy one for $20,000 or so.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    From all I've seen and heard....all the comments on various boards etc....it's nothing but positive for the next/new generation MPV. People are actually lusting after this vehicle. As much as I like the Mazda5....the new MPV would suit our needs even better. Size-wise, it's 2" longer, over an inch wider, but 2" lower than the current MPV. It's wheelbase is almost 5" longer than the current one. Not sure what engines are available, save for the 2.3l turbo 4. While performance with this engine should be amazing (and it's available with a 6-speed manual!!!), I would have concerns about fuel economy (The Mazdaspeed6 is rated at about 23/33 imperial....not bad but not great) and the fact it needs at least 91 octane (93 recommended).
    Perhaps an efficient V6 would be more practical. My rub against the '5' is that, for a 'multi-activity' vehicle, those activities don't include towing....even something fairly light like a jet-ski, single snowmobile or 14' aluminum fishing boat. The new MPV would be more than competent in this regard. With WOW features like the 'La-z-boy' reclining middle seats etc., this vehicle could be a major hit. A 'just right' size minivan that would actually be fun to drive. Many others are writing Mazda to make them reconsider bringing this to the US/Canada. Maybe we should too. (I'd take this over a CX-9 any day)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Agree with bringing the 2007 MPV to the US. I'd prefer the 2.3l turbo 4...which produces something like 250hp?
    2" lower would also make the already excellent handling of the MPV awesome. Mazda says the MPV has the body of a minivan and the soul of a sports car..the 2007 would really prove it. The La-z-boy recliners would be great when the kids become lazy-ole teenagers. The bigger size would be good..but don't know if it would be big enough to compete with the maxi minis from Honda, Nissan and GM. May need an extra inch or two in width and length. I'd be willing to bet though that if overseas sales of the MPV are really hot, Mazda will eventually bring the MPV back to the U.S/Canada in 2008 or 2009.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    If they can better the Odyssey's and Sienna's gas mileage, while coming in at a more affordable price, I don't think they'd have to worry too much about growing an inch or two more. I think the Ody, Sienna and Quests etc. of this world are too big now....this new MPV is right on. Has some interesting features too, not the least of which is the 3rd row, which folds flat, but doesn't flip over back into the well like the current one does. But you still get the well (covered), which you can use whether the seats are in use or not.
    The only area that I think would need that extra inch or two(added onto the already larger dimensions of the 2007 MPV)would be in the third row seating. It can handle two adults and a small child fairly well...but 3 regular size adults is a bit of a pinch. We'll be ready for another minivan in about 5 more years...hopefully it will be here by then.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • maverick99maverick99 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info jimmy1969. I have the same problem...I'm missing a small fastening clip on my 2002 Mazda MPV and the dealer wants me to buy an entire new bug deflector. It would be a terrible waste if I did that. Would you please give me some more guidance on how you found your fastener. I went on the "autozone.com" web site and could not locate any fastener clips. Would appreciate your help on this! Thanks.
    "and the dealer wants me to buy an entire new bug deflector"

LOL...this sounds like a joke from someone in my fan club.
    I'm a bit surprised your dealer didn't suggest buying an entire new minivan that came with a bug deflector. ;)

The replacement kit for the bug deflector contains fasteners, brackets and the 3m tape to install the shield. Any Mazda dealership can order it if they know what they are doing. But, for $48(?) less...you can run over to autozone(or anything similar) and pick out an assortment of the plastic fasteners similar to the one used on the bug deflector for 2 or 3 bucks. The closest matched fastener was a little to big for the hole in the metal bracket. So , I drilled the hold in the fastener out a bit, and it works fine.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    There is currently $2,000 in customer cash available in Birmingham for the 2006 MPV. The new 2005 models have $4,000 available! What a steal on a sporty van!

See, a new post for you, jip!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Good analogy. The Mazda MPV is reliable just like a Maytag appliance. With very few repairs needed, MPV owners do not search the internet to learn how to get rid of a buzzing noise, humming noise, sliding door rattles, sticky sliding power doors, transmission clunk, etc.
    Will be interesting to see the next generation MPV.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hans, keep your Honda bashing on the "Honda versus" boards...Bring something new to the table with a post for a change.
    That was a thoughtful gesture graduate and hans...and you guys even brought a little of the "home cooking" from the Ody vs DCX board that I like to visit. A big Mazda MPV "ZOOM ZOOM" to the both of you. :shades:
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    My wife and I are currently trying to unload our '05 Escape for a larger SUV or a minivan and our choices have been widdled down to an '06 Explorer or an '06 MPV. Two kids in car seats and all the gear that comes with them will do that to you. :)

I know how the Explorer's LATCH connections work but I can't seem to find the tether hooks for the second row LATCH systems. Anyone know where they are and if they get in the way of third row passengers? Will they block the view of the DVD screen for the third row passengers?
    Never mind, I found them. They're on the back of the seat bottoms. Edmunds actually has a good picture of them.
    baggs, you can get a much bigger discount with a new 2005 MPV over the 2006 model. Just a thought.
    We're leasing so a 2005 is out of the question. The residual value of the '06 is pretty low so I can't imagine what it is on the '05. Plus no '05s within 50 miles are equipped the way we want it and there aren't more than five to choose from anyway. Thank God for the S-Plan!
    Baggs, your in the same boat as me with the escape (but mine is an '01) but the really nice thing with the LATCH is there is set in the center of the THIRD row for when a child would be to big for the conventional seat but would still need a booster. The other thing that caught my wife's eye if the way you can flip the 3rd row backwards and use it as a tailgating bench (Lions (me) and Packers (wife) fans).

Odie
    Well it's good to hear I'm not alone Odie! I'll miss the CR-V vs Escape thread and Scape2 though. :sick:

So there's a LATCH hookup in the third row too? I couldn't find any mention of that in the specs anywhere. We're going to test drive the MPV and Explorer we have our eyes on tomorrow evening and hopefully make a final decision. So far the Explorer is $20 less per month but will cost about $25 more per month for gas so that's a wash. If the Mazda dealer comes down another $20 per month then I don't see how we have a choice anymore unless the Explorer turns out to be one heck of a ride.

To top it all off a Nissan dealer is trying to work out a deal on an '06 Pathfinder but I don't know if I can handle having to choose between three!
    well we are cross shopping the following
    1. '06 Mazda MPV
    2. '06 Pontiac SV6
    3. '06 Ford Freestyle
    4. '06 Nissan Quest
    5. (this one my wife likes) '06 Mazda 5

As for the 3rd row LATCH, I didn't see anywhere on any vehicle's specs about 3rd row LATCH, that's why I decides to look for myself while I was at the Philly Car Show.

Odie
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I got the word today that it is official..the US version of the MPV will be gone after the 2006 model year. It will be replaced by a cross over vehicle with 3 rows of seats.
    "the MPV will be gone after the 2006 model year"

hmmm...that bites.

I wouldn't be surprised though to see it's return at some point in the future. The 2007 MPV will be available in other parts of the world...so it still remains a possiblity. It's not like the model was discountinued altogether. I think the 2007, properly marketed, would really scare the "big boys". I don't know if the 2007 has all the features(full side curtain airbags, vehilce stability control, navigation, rear cameras....and all the other saftey features and modern gadgets) most other current minivans have available. Perhaps when the MPV has all the "goodies"... they'll give it another go.

Personally, I don't care much for the crossovers.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    is it the CX-7 that will replace it?

John
    CX-9......the CX-7 is 5 pass. The 9 will add some length and third row seating.
    that sounds interesting... the CX-7 is splashed all over the media right now, anything on the CX-9 yet?

I would think Mazda would use a different power plant in the 9 than the 7, something that has higher low end torque for more vehicle weight/towing.

John
    I think Edmunds has something about the CX-9. IIRC they claimed it will get the Duratec35 with 250 horses.
    well we are cross shopping the following
    1. '06 Mazda MPV
    2. '06 Pontiac SV6
    3. '06 Ford Freestyle
    4. '06 Nissan Quest
    5. (this one my wife likes) '06 Mazda 5

1. Drove it last night. It's nice but noisy and pretty un-refined. All of the criticisms for the "clunky" transmission are true. It hunted for gears on hills and shifted waaaaay too early a lot of times. Quite annoying. Otherwise it was just so-so but I guess that's expected from an old design.
    2. Couldn't pay me to drive one of those.
    3. I like, wife doesn't.
    4. Checked it out and was on our list. She hated the round Star Trek center stack thing and I hated the center mounted gagues. Otherwise it was a very nice van.
    5. I like, wife didn't.

In the end we're going with a 2006 Explorer. Yeah it's gas mileage is worse than the MPV and the total cargo space is a bit off too, but it was way more refined and actually handled better in the back roads. Plus it's safety features are light years ahead of the MPV's.

Good luck with your shopping!
    I found it...$38,000 and up isn't impressive. It also looks like it will have heavy competition, probably the Subaru Tribeca and everyone else's 7 passenger SUVs will be there.

It doesn't strike me as a minivan though.

John
    It doesn't strike me as a minivan though.

That's because it's not. It's a crossover and more like an SUV than a van but more carlike than a traditional SUV. Make sense?

I wouldn't call the Tribeca heavy competition. ;)
    "In the end we're going with the 2006 Exlplorer"

You do realize that Ford produces those "noisy" and "unrefined" engines that are in BOTH the Mazda MPV and Ford Exlporer? And that the "old" MPV design has been out 6 years and the Exlporer about 20?

The power of suggestion is a powerful thing. The "clunky" transmission in my vehilce shifts smooth as butter.
    But, goodluck with your Exlporer. And in the future...if you care to flame on the MPV...take it to the "Shopping Minivans" board.
    a little vehicle sensative huh? :P
    I wouldn't call the Tribeca heavy competition.

Ok, I'll bite this bait. Recognizing that neither of us has ever seen the CX-9, we have to take a look at what is out there:

You have the Pacifica.
    You have the R class.
    You even have Suzuki on the low end.
    Then there are the 7 seater Toyotas and a host of others. I want to say even the Ford Freestyle comes in.

So is $38k going to work with this crowd? Not really.

Now the Tribeca can be had as a 7 seater in the low $30's, with AWD and a lot of amenities for the money.

Some shoppers will also be looking at AWD mini-vans before the CX at the $38k range.

For me, it is the 5, diesel version, that I am holding out for. Yes, different car, but I will go smaller from my MPV before I go bigger.

John
    Checked it out and was on our list. She hated the round Star Trek center stack thing and I hated the center mounted gagues. Otherwise it was a very nice van.
    5. I like, wife didn't.

Redesigned for 07. Center mounted instruments are fine in a Mini or Scion but older, more conservative minivan shoppers didn't like it. We have an 05 with about 25K on it and the 3.5l V6 is terrific; mpg is exceptional; and the four port sunroof is very cool.

Do the new Explorers come with the fuzzy dice or do you still have to buy them?
    "a little vehilce sensative huh?"

Gotta protect the home field advantage baby.

Also, sensitive is spelled s-e-n-s-i....not s-a

Grammar sensitive too! :P

Actually, if someone wants to point out what they don't like in the MPV that's fine. But,the way baggs went about it wasn't proper. To go into another owners forum and use troll like buzz words i.e "clunky transmission" and "old design" etc...well, that's just rude.
    Actually, if someone wants to point out what they don't like in the MPV that's fine. But,the way baggs went about it wasn't proper. To go into another owners forum and use troll like buzz words i.e "clunky transmission" and "old design" etc...well, that's just rude.

Sorry that you don't like my opinion of the MPV but that's the way it drove. In fact, my wife, who never notices things like that, complained about the transmission about 100 yards out from the dealer lot.

I was also reiterating what several reviewers have said about the current MPV too. If your's shifts like butter then there must be something wrong with it.

You guys can rip on the Explorer all you want but it is much more refined than the MPV. Fuzzy dice or not. ;)
    You do realize that Ford produces those "noisy" and "unrefined" engines that are in BOTH the Mazda MPV and Ford Exlporer? And that the "old" MPV design has been out 6 years and the Exlporer about 20?

I am well aware of the Duratec30 that's under the hood and that's not the noise I was complaining about. Wind noise is the culprit in the MPV. See, we're trading in our Escape, with the same exact Duratec30 BTW, for the Explorer and it's even noisier than the MPV. The Explorer wasn't noisy at all and in the end won our sale. Other factors played a role too.

I'm not bashing the MPV. It is still a fairly nice van but it needs an update badly.

FYI, the current Explorer is not a 20 year old design. You might want to research that before you type it again. Many substantial changes were made to the frame, suspension, interior, and engines for MY06 that it is officially a new model.
    Redesigned for 07. Center mounted instruments are fine in a Mini or Scion but older, more conservative minivan shoppers didn't like it. We have an 05 with about 25K on it and the 3.5l V6 is terrific; mpg is exceptional; and the four port sunroof is very cool.

Do the new Explorers come with the fuzzy dice or do you still have to buy them?

Redesigned for '07 doesn't help me right now. We liked everything else about the Quest and it was really the only full size minivan we considered, but that whole center layout was just awful. Glad to hear they woke up and fixed it.

Do you really think Ford is going to spring for fuzzy dice right now? ;)
    "...that's not the noise I was complaining about."

I've never seen wind noise described as "un-refined" before. You mentioned driving, then noise and then unrefined. So, it was logical to assume you were speaking of the engine as you spoke nothing of the wind.
    But,perhaps you had your windows down? Most publications rate the MPV as being moderate to quiet for wind noise. My MPV is fairly quiet, but I guess something must be wrong with it :confuse:

"it needs an update badly"

It was updated in 2000, 2002, 2004, and again in 2007(significant updating)... if you want to go overseas to buy one. How often do you need a vehilce to be updated? Not sure what you mean by "updated"...did you research the vehilce any?
    If you mean safety features(i.e curtain airbags and vehicle stability control) and high tech gizmos(navigation) then I would agree.

If you are truely concerned with not "bashing" the MPV, then you may want to choose your words a little more carefully in the future. i.e statements of opinion and not fact are preferred by most members when discussing the pros and cons of a vehilce.i.e "I believe the MPV to be highly refined, quiet, smooth shifting AND updated."

FWIW-the Duratec is a 3.0 liter engine...not 30. Though 30 would be nice.

Goodluck with your Explorer though...fuzzy dice and all. ;)
    FWIW-the Duratec is a 3.0 liter engine...not 30. Though 30 would be nice.

Duratec30 is Ford's internal name for it. The new one is called the Duratec35, the 2.3L I4 in a lot of Mazdas and Fords is called the Duratec23. See the trend?

But,perhaps you had your windows down? Most publications rate the MPV as being moderate to quiet for wind noise.

Nope. They were all up and I made sure of it as it was like 30 degrees out.

How often do you need a vehilce to be updated? Not sure what you mean by "updated"...

It needs updated in many ways. A 60/40 third row config, the aforementioned safety features (however the MPV is fairly safe without them and I don't particularly care for stability control in carlike vehicles), re-located gear selector, fewer rattles (the LX we drove had a few already with only 24 miles on the odo), and yes, the motor. I've been driving Duratec30 equipped vehicles for 10 years now and it never has been a quiet or efficient motor unless you spring for the Lincoln or Jag versions. Durable and reliable? Yes. The version in my Mazda6 is fairly smooth though and would do well in the MPV.

i.e statements of opinion and not fact are preferred by most members when discussing the pros and cons of a vehilce

Huh? I'd prefer fact. Show me decibel numbers or 0-60 times between competing models not "Hey my car will blow your car's doors off".

You always take someone's opinion with a grain of salt. If I had simply read your opinionated praise of the MPV, which I did BTW, and gone out and bought one without driving it I'd feel jipped (pun intended :P). Your kind words are part of the reason, albeit a small part, I went out to drive it. From that drive I formed my own opinion and posted it for a fellow shopper. Sorry if it offended you, but it is my opinion and it's not going to change no matter how hard you defend the MPV. You liked it enough to buy it, we didn't, and that in no way means it's a crappy vehicle. I'd still take it over 90% of the other vans out there, purely based on it's size, if all we were looking at were vans.
    "Duratec30 is Fords internal name for it."

Well, I'm not an engineer with Ford...so that's a new one on me. Out of the hundreds of time I've read something about that Ford engine, it's always written as the Duratec 3.0

"Nope. They(windows) were all up"

Is possible the luggage rack crossbars need adjusting.We have kids, so I wish it were quiet enough to hear whatever wind noise there is. :cry:

on "updates"
    Agree with the split 3rd row seat. Would have come in handy on recent trip to Florida with mother in-law.

Most everyone complains about the gear selector. Not very smart for Mazda to have designed it like that. Rattles?...the thing that impressed me the most about our MPV was the overall quality and fit and finish. No rattles whatsoever. Except for you I can't recall anyone complaining about rattles in their MPV...and I belong to another MPV web club site. Motor? Agree, not the most refined...but from what I have read one of Fords best.

"I'd prefer fact"

What I meant by my statement was that on subjective matters(i.e noise, comfort,smoothness of transmission,etc)it is better to offer your opinion on the matter...not state it as fact(unless it can be proven)

I certainly did not mean that you are not entitled to your opinion. It(your opinion) just came off a little rough...mostly the last sentence. But hey, we're cool. It get's kind of slow on the MPV boards at times, so your input and contributions are welcome. Again, good luck with your Explorer. ;)

Jip
    Most everyone complains about the gear selector. Not very smart for Mazda to have designed it like that.

Our 2002 Escape had a gear selector in about the same position. I wish I had a dollar for every time I and my wife almost knocked the tranny into "N" while just trying to change the radio station or volume. The MPV's steering wheel audio controls, same wheel and buttons as my 6 BTW, allieviate the blocked radio problem but it blocked one of the HVAC knobs too. I forget which one but it brought back bad memories.

But hey, we're cool. It get's kind of slow on the MPV boards at times, so your input and contributions are welcome. Again, good luck with your Explorer.

Thanks, and same to you with your MPV. Having two kids ourselves, 2 weeks and 2 years old, we are leasing the Explorer to be able to weigh our options again in three years. I like Mazda's a lot and I hope they do have something to offer us again when that time comes.

the thing that impressed me the most about our MPV was the overall quality and fit and finish. No rattles whatsoever. Except for you I can't recall anyone complaining about rattles in their MPV.

There was one coming from the hatch area and somewhere near the passenger A-pillar. Could have been due to the cold weather but they were there. Build quality IS very good on the MPV but no manufacturer is perfect. Even Lexus' have rattles from time to time.
    Got to TD the MPV (LX with LX package). Took it for about a 40 min TD on Highway, Side (paved) and Back (not so paved) roads. I have to admit it road nice and sound was not an issue (radio was turned off) even with 35 mph crosswinds on the highway. Unfortinately my wife was not with me, but the MPV actually put my 3yr old daughter to sleep and she hates any vehicle that's not BIG BLUE (Escape). I thought it handled pretty close to the Escape with a little better refinement for the suspension. I got to try out her car seat in both the 2nd and 3rd row and was very easy in and out. I also brought her old infant seat with us (going to be using after beging of JULY). As for the column shifter I actually prefer having it over a center console due to my longer legs. Having a center console that is connected to the center dash constricts against my knees. There were not as many blind spots as I thought there would be, and I was pretty happy with it. I'm sure with the added All-sport package (including sport suspension) it will ride even nicer.

Now I just need to get my wife to TD one.

Odie
    sorry about the spelling....when I post on edmunds I'm usually on the sales desk and working deals at the same time I'm posting so sometimes I go a little faster than I should. But your point about the vehicle debate is very valid. If somebody dislikes a vehicle there is no reason to go on a crusade of half truths and partial facts. But one thing I have learned about the car biz....perception is reality for alot of folks and no amount of facts will stand in the way of that perception.
    What's your take on the 2007 MPV not coming to the U.S audia8q? I can't help but think Mazda is wanting to distance itself somewhat from the current generation of MPV...then bring in the new version in about 3 or 4 years. Just in time for baggs when that Explorer comes off lease. ;)

With a 274hp turbocharged engine, AWD,6 speed with available stick, more room with a wider and lower profile, reclining second row seats etc...the new MPV would be a true ZOOM ZOOM of a minivan. i.e "The body of a minivan and the soul of a sports car"
    I think the new MPV looks pretty good...but regretfully traditional minivans have become somewhat out of fashion. Perhaps the current idea of a minivan has somewhat run its course...Ford has some design ideas for future 'people movers' that seem to make people movers 'cool and fashionable'....I suspect Mazda will be in on this also...
    edesigned for '07 doesn't help me right now. We liked everything else about the Quest and it was really the only full size minivan we considered, but that whole center layout was just awful. Glad to hear they woke up and fixed it.
    We have five different drivers who use it, including several self-professed "minivan haters." After 10-20 minutes in the vehicle the central controls disappeared as an issue.

We had a fellow follow the Quest up to VT in his Explorer. The Quest averaged a little over 22 mpg for the trip. He averaged a little under 15. So as long as you are willing to pay 5 cents a mile more for having your speedometer a foot to the left - hey, it's a free country!

The MPV has roughly 1 1/2 times the interior volume of the Explorer and gets similar mileage to the comparison above. So the fuzzy dice reference was really a way of saying that frame on body SUV's are old news.
    The MPV has roughly 1 1/2 times the interior volume of the Explorer and gets similar mileage to the comparison above. So the fuzzy dice reference was really a way of saying that frame on body SUV's are old news.

So are top-heavy vehicles that don't come with side curtain air bags and stability control.

Other reasons we chose the Explorer include 1. Can't take an MPV, or Quest for that matter, on the beach in a couple of places we go to over here in the East. 2. Drive through several inches of snow to pick up a pizza or an emergency pack of diapers.

That's just two that come to mind right now.

We had a fellow follow the Quest up to VT in his Explorer. The Quest averaged a little over 22 mpg for the trip. He averaged a little under 15. So as long as you are willing to pay 5 cents a mile more for having your speedometer a foot to the left - hey, it's a free country!

No, I don't mind paying 5 cents more per mile and BTW, 15 MPG on the highway is really low and pretty much unheard of judging by what other Explorer V6 owners are getting on other dedicated Explorer forums. Are you guys sure you calculated right? I did research the gas mileage issue and the difference in total monthly fuel cost, based on how much we drive, between the MPV and Explorer was $30 max.

Furthermore, my father-in-law averaged 19-20 MPG in his 2002 Explorer EB V6 through the highway system around PA, WV and OH. Lots of hills and curves here too as in VT. He's getting about the same with his new '06 Explorer EB V8 on the highway, and in fact, 15 MPG wasn't even his city avg but rather 16 MPG was (Our '05 Escape was averaging 16 mpg as well). Again, plenty of hills and curves in this city too.

After 10-20 minutes in the vehicle the central controls disappeared as an issue.

Good for them. I'm not going to buy a vehicle I have to adjust to. Plus, that issue will never disappear for me. I don't let things like that out of my head and consider it an inconvenience.

Bottom line is, we bought what we need and liked the most. We didn't need all of the space a minivan provides and couldn't use it anyway because the kids are in car seats and will be for a long time. Plus you have to store those second row seats somewhere to use all of that extra room which is out of the question too. If DCX could make the Caravan/T&C a bit nicer inside and out we might have one of those instead. Stow & Go rules in this category IMO.

You guys should also test drive an '06 Explorer before you judge it too. It's not the same old Explorer. Things do change. ;)
    2. Drive through several inches of snow to pick up a pizza or an emergency pack of diapers.
    You can drive it through more than several inches of snow of you get snow tires - and turn and stop to boot! We put Michelin X-Ice on the Quest; Nokian RSI's on the Subaru and Honda.

There's a "giant Winter traction Test" on Canadiandriver.
    You can drive it through more than several inches of snow of you get snow tires - and turn and stop to boot! We put Michelin X-Ice on the Quest; Nokian RSI's on the Subaru and Honda.

Very true. However I can drive through several inches of snow in my Mazda6, or the MPV we test drove, with snow tires too. Problem is, I have to sacrifice handling when it's dry and the snow tires are on as well as go out and purchase 4 new wheels and tires to do so. Too much of an inconvenience, and an unnecessary expense for us right now. The Explorer will do snow, ice, sand, mud, gravel, etc. right out of the box.

When the boys are older it will be a different story because they can help me change those tires. ;) Hence the lease on the Explorer. We'll re-evaluate our needs in three years.

As for the turning and stopping, the Explorer has 4-wheel discs and ABS with EBD just like the Quest and weighs roughly the same, so they will both stop alike. Turning in the Explorer is aided by the standard AdvanceTrac with RSC (the latter is a patented Volvo system) so I'm not worried about that anymore. I would have been with the Quest or MPV because they don't have stability control or roll control standard.

Again, our wants and needs were written down, and analyzed and we feel we purchased the vehicle that minimized sacrifices and compromises. It isn't great at any one thing but it's pretty darn good at everything.
    Well, My wife said we have to wait a bit till we can get the new vehicle. I have been reading about the new CX-9 (replacement for the MPV) and I'm surprised that mazda is not going to keep the MPV in the line-up. The Tribute is not going to have a 2007 MY, the MPV is gone after '06, and the CX-9 is going to have a starting price of $38,000 (yes I types Thirty-eight) anhd it will not even have sliding doors. I think if we are not able to get a '06 MPV, we will have to settle on the SV6, but the SV6 and MPV are running very close to each other in our new vehicle search. The Freestyle is still there, but slowly dropping, and the Quest is out in the bullpen, but still in the game.

Odie