Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, it appears the new MPV won't be coming to the U.S. anytime soon:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109169

Looks like we get the CX-9 instead. Much more cargo room than the Mazda5 at least.

Also, I think Kia's new small "van" is actually the Rondo, aka Carens, which is more similar to the Mazda5 than a minivan--it can be had with a V6 and seats 7, but has almost no cargo space when doing so.
  • tcc21tcc21 Member Posts: 69
    Well, if finally happened after 3 years of battling a problem on my MPV! Today, I brought my vehicle into the local friendly Polar Bear and they agreed to replace the whole rack on my 2003 MPV with 79K miles on it! Problem has been squeaking in the steering when turning the wheel and a rattle from the front end when going over bumps plus a 'creaking' sound when going over things like speed bumps. I have had the NORMAL reply for 3 years; once Mazda came close to replacing the rack before, but backed down. I have a $1600 extended warranty I bought upfront; this fix would have cost nearly $1500 plus I get a free rental car for up to 5 days with no deductable. So, I have paid for the price of the warranty! I felt elated to finally have this problem addressed. Perserverance paid off. I had the tranny problems in the beginning and went thru that whole mess before. That issue seems behind me as well. I love this van, I wish the mpg's were better though for it's 'smaller' size. The engine has always been thirsty - 19MPG pretty much all the time unless I kick it down and it drops off.

There is a silver lining after all!! :shades:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Glad to hear your dealership is going to take care of it for you tc. Let us know how it goes.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

I've moved the posts about this to the MPV Tires & Wheels topic.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

This is not specific to MPV's; why is there an on/off switch for cruise controls?? You can just 'set or resume' anyway, why does there need to be a power on/off switch....what safety does that insure?

Curious minds wonder....

Related to MPV's; do others notice that the accelerate mode does not react very quickly on their MPV's? Mine seems to slowly crawl up 2-3 mph's with each push on the button.

TC
    I never noticed anything unusual with my accelerate mode. Probably better mpg wise it not accelerate to quickly.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    my 04(manufactured in late 03) started having the same problem that you'd got. The dealer told me that they'd put grease in the steering to eliminate the squeaking noise. But 2-3 weeks later, it is still there even it is not as bad as before. Mine seems to have little vibration in the front end since day one. I thought it was the tires' fault, but the vibration is still there after driving 3k miles on a set of new tires. I should visit the dealer again soon.
    Sounds very similar!
    My steering noise get's worse when it's warmer outside!
    The creaking in the front end when going over bumps was worse as well when warmer.
    I too have noticed vibrations when on the highway for the first couple miles, then it goes away! I've had my tires rebalanced many times. Hope this fix works! I will let you know when I get it back this Saturday how things work! Right now, I am driving a nice rental car ON THEM!!

PS: Yes, they greased mine a couple times and said it was NORMAL! I said is it normal for MPV's to fly too???
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Tire vibrations on an MPV can be fixed by balancing the tires on a road force machine like a Hunter 9000 (or whatever version they are on now). Most Mazda dealers have these machines. ;)
    Thanks for that info.!
    My problem, too, is that I want my weights on the INSIDE of the wheel for looks and care of the wheel. This does not always get a true balance for the wheel and can be part of my issue as well. They do a 'static' balance to do this.
    I noticed the steering noise doesn't come first time during the day I drive it. It happens when I drive it to lunch, or when I drive it home in the afternoon. I'm wondering how you or the dealer finally come to the conclusion that the rack had been the source of problem and needed to be replaced.
    I bought my second sets of tires from the Mazda dealer, and they had balanced them twice after I'd complained about the vibration. I also had alignment work done by the dealer after purchasing the new tires from them.
    What kind of tires did you get?
    I didn't buy any tires...?
    They are replacing the whole rack system on the MPV!

I run Bridgstone Turanza's Smooth as silk, and great on wet surfaces. Not so good on snow though!
    Yes, the noise seems to come after warm up as well.
    I believe the conclusion was from me harping on them for 3 years about creaking and steering noise and finally a tie rod rattle in the front driver side! They looked at that, called the kings of Mazda, and said GO! I couldn't be happier...I almost fell over when they told me they were going to do this...really!
    Not you tcc... I was replying to kinko. ;)

I'm looking to replace my Dunslops before this fall. I suppose you have the 15" tires?

I almost bought the Turanza LST's for my Buick Regal, but ended up with the Yokohoma Avid T4's... which have been very good.
    AH. Sorry!
    Mine are 16" on the MPV I have. They also have 17's on the EX's....not mine though...I have an LX.

Thanks, TCC
    hello jipster, I bought the Avid TRZ. I had bad experience with the T4 with my other car.
    The TRZ does not have gas milage as good as the OEM. I could be wrong, but both vehicles I had switched OEM tires with s-rated tires lost 5-10% MPG.
    kinko, funny you should mention the Yokohoma Avid TRZ... it's on the top of my list. Aside from the lower gas mileage how do you like the tires? I thought the TRZ came in a H-rated tire like the Dunlop SP 4000(OEM)?
    I felt that the TRZ is a little soft so the handling is not as good as the OEM tires. The deep tire tread and wide gaps between the tracks can easily pick up little rocks from the road. I picked it because the reviews were good, and I thought the OEM was too stiff for the ride.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Member Posts: 12
    I'm glad I read the thread about issues with MPV steering.

My wife's '04 MPV (LX with Sport Package) squeeks when I turn the steering wheel, and I only noticed it when I drove it recently. I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for service next time.

I replaced the OEM 17" Dunlop front tires with Michelin Hydroedges at 18,431 miles. While I was disappointed with the Dunlop's wearing out so quickly, I was surprised to find out the Michelins wore out in less than 23,000 miles.

Has anyone had better luck with wear on 17" tires?
    My MPV is still being worked on by the friendly Polar People.
    It's been over a week now. No worries, I'm still driving their rental Malibu. Nice unit. I hope this will all be a distant memory soon.

I thought the initial tires on my MVP really sucked. THey lasted 20K miles very poor!

The Turanzas are softer, but are great over the road and super on water! Snow is a different story though.
    I have 16" wheels on my LX with static balancing - weights on the inside of the wheels.
    I've got 27,000 on my OEM Dunlops, which probably have another 5,000- 8,000 miles on them.

Since both sets of tires you've owned have worn prematurely, I'd say there is something wrong with your vans suspension... or your driving habits, properly inflated.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, and for those of you new to the forums, that means it's time for our weekly Mazda chat. Stop in this evening to meet and greet some of your fellow forums members, talk about the cars, share some CarSpace photos and videos, and in general have a good time!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Member Posts: 12
    I checked the inflation this morning and found the fronts to be at 30 psi. I'll add another 5 psi.

If anything is wrong with the suspension, it must be a very slight camber issue with the front left wheel. The outside is only slightly more worn than the inside. No tires are cupped or unusually worn on one side.
    the steering wheel's noise level on mine has came dowe a lot since the last time dealer had put grease in it. It could get worse as the outside temperature is high.
    I've read a few instances of the OEM Dunlops wearing out prematurely in late teens. Most though have worn out mid-late twenties to mid thirties. That your Hydroedge would wear out at 23,000 miles is unheard of. Those are a 80,000 mile tire I believe. Even at 30 psi, which really isn't that bad, to result in such drastic wearing and no cupping or unusualy wearing.

I think I would take the van in and have it looked at where you bought your tires. I also have the Hydroedge on my list of possible buys when I replace the OEM Dunlops.
    Got my van back from the friendly Polar Bear people and it seems to be solid. The weather has been poor to test out the squeak and creak though - wet and cold is not the best weather to hear this noise. Once it warms up this weekend and dries up here in the Twin Cities, I'll know for sure if we have this thing licked. $1300 was the final bill plus 10 days of a rental car - all covered by that extended warranty I deliberated in buying in 2003! I think it's paid for itself now! Perserverance paid off - 3 years of pestering them. Don't just stand for a grease job of the steering mechanism; get the rack replaced!
    Do you notice anymore those front-end rattle and vibration?
    Did you buy the Extended warranty from the Mazda dealer or those online warranty sites.

I've been shopping online but I hate those follow-up calls from their hungry sales peresons. My Mazda warranty will last till next March, and I am thinking about buying that as an insurance mainly on the transmission.
    Front end seems tight and even a bit stiff in the steering.
    No more squeak yet. There still is a creak though when going over speed bumps or high dips, etc. from the front end. No rattle anymore yet either. I thought this was to take care of the CREAKING too, but that must be another issue! I bought an extended warranty - 100K miles or 6 years for 1600 dollars when I bought the car. I made SURE it was a MAZDA approved warranty with NO DEDUCTABLE and with rental coverage! There are many lesser types around...be careful to be sure it can be used at ANY AUTHORIZED Mazda dealer...not just some!
  • grobbygrobby Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 01 mpv with 68000 miles. I am the only owner. My check engine light came on about 2 months ago. I had it checked and mech said that codes p0300, p0306 and p0031 were on. He said they discovered an "upper intake plenium leaking air, 2 oxygen sensors with bad heaters, worn spark plug wires" He recommended replacing all sensors and spark plug wires. TOtal cost= $1800.

Help, does this sound worth fixing, can I leave it alone? What will happen if I dont fix it. I just finished paying off the car so I own it.

Any suggestions?

thanks for your help
    It sounds like you need a second opinion. Was this a dealer?
  • grobbygrobby Member Posts: 2
    No, it was a local shop who did the inspection. Does this sound out of the ordinary?

thanks for your reply!
    It would depend on how the diagnosis was done. If the tech is simply changing parts based off the codes that were pulled, I'd run away.

Many times, one problem can cause multiple codes (or issues). in cases like this, it's nice to have someone like a dealer technician with factory manuals and serice bulletins to do a proper diagnosis.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I agree with Maltb. Run away...
    That's a lot to spend on some questionable codes - like one causing another..
  • sankofa_blaksankofa_blak Member Posts: 2
    I purchased this car from a Mazda dealer on 1/27/07. I fell in love immediately. Before buying it I read the carfax report which noted that thecar had had electrical work done on it in the past. This was immediately reason for alarm as I brought it up to the salesman. He assured me that it was nothing to worry about (he's a salesman... I know) :mad: .

Tonight, I started my car and noticed right away that the radio would not come on. The clock wasn't lit up or anything. Then I noticed my Sirius satellite radio receiver (plugged into the cigarette lighter) wasn't on either. I directly attributed this to an electrical problem. When I attempted to put the car in gear, I could not. The gear is stuck and the box that highlights the gears: P (park), R (reverse), D (drive) is not showing up. Is this directly related to an electrical problem? Could it be a fuse or would extensive work need to be done? :confuse:
    Well it certainly sounds like a blown fuse, but you need to figure out what caused the fuse to blow. Start by disconnecting everything that isn't standard on the vehicle and look under the dash for wiring that looks like it's been repaired or tampered with.

Oh yeah, stock up on fuses.
  • sankofa_blaksankofa_blak Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! It was a fuse! I didn't look under the dash or anything like that. I'm not very handy when it comes to cars. I did ask the service guy at the dealer though. He said that it is usually caused by something constantly being plugged into the cigarette lighter, IE: phone charger, portable DVD/CD player (or in my case, Sirius satellite receiver). That made no sense to me though because aren't these things made for such a function? I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
    That made no sense to me though because aren't these things made for such a function?

Yes and No. Power ports on cars originally were cigarette lighters. Now, some cars only have power ports (that won't work as a lighter socket) and other cars have lighter sockets. The problem is that there is no good standard for what what plugs into those ports. I have seen some pretty crappy plugs on different accessories and if they get bumped the wrong way, they can short out.

I believe on your MPV, it's a lighter socket (Mazda P/N G13H-66-250). So, if you aren't using it light cigarettes, you might want to swap it out for a power port (Mazda P/N LD47-66-290).
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The P0300 is a random misfire and P0306 is a misfire in cylinder 6. P0031 is HO2S heater (RF) circuit low ON 2 O2 sensor heater (oxygen sensor).

Because of the age and mileage of your vehicle, changing the spark plugs and wires is probably due. Something is effecting the oxygen sensor. It might be as easy as replacing the sensor or it could be something else. Personally, I would get a second opinion before I spend $1800. That seems high for the things you listed.
  • elieelie Member Posts: 15
    :confuse: Our 2002 Mazda MPV ES has only about 40K miles, but it has acquired a problem that has our mechanic MYSTIFIED! It will start right away, but then the engine will cut out as soon as you let off the gas pedal! Then you will have to sit with it, giving steady gas for about 15-20 minutes, until it will finally let you take your foot off the gas pedal. Although this sounds like the problem is that the engine is cold, in reality it seems unrelated. The engine will keep dying even once the engine temp gauge shows the engine is well warmed up. In fact the problem COMES AND GOES, unrelated to whether its a cold day or warm day. There might be a week or so without any problem whatsoever, and then suddenly----THERE IT IS AGAIN! There is no clear pattern! On the bad days, I might get it into drive and start going by continuously giving it gas while shifting into drive, and I might get a couple of blocks, and then the engine will cut off even while driving at freeway speeds! Its scary! We tried premium gas with fuel injector cleaner. The mechanic did a complete engine diagnostic, and it passed with flying colors. He has ruled out fuel pump problems because of the inconsistency of the problem. He thinks it may be something with the electrical system, but doesnt know where to look. Anybody heard of anything like this with a Mazda?
    Maybe the Idle Air Control valve is going bad.
    Your coils could be going bad.

Did he check the fuel pump for suffecient pressure? Keep a full tank of gas, if that helps any then I'd say the fuel pump...maybe filter. Just a guess.
  • mom3rugratsmom3rugrats Member Posts: 1
    HELP-I have a 2000 mpv - just replaced the transmission about a month ago.
    Last nite I tried to back out of parking spot and the car started screaching when I tried to put it in reverse-sounded like metal-on-metal and there was a burning metal smell. The van wouldn't go into neutral and wouldn't turn off. I put it into drive and the screaching stopped.
    Couldn't turn it off because it would start screaching if I took it out of drive - turning off the key wouldn't help - the van would still run -
    I had to remove the fuel pump fuse to stop the engine.
    Once the engine was off I tried to remove the key and put the van into Park - immediatley the starter engaged without the key even being turned.
    Had it towed to the transmission shop but they say it has nothing to do with the transmission - maybe electrical.
    Does anyone know what's going on?
    Thanks so much
    Do you have a remote starting system?
    my squeaky steering problem is still not fixed. They lube it 2-3 month ago, and it got better but it did not fixed it.
    Now I was told that the clock spring needs to be replaced. Meanwhile, I asked them to check out the vibration coming thru the steer wheel from the front-end. Hopeful there is not problem with the suspension. This time I had to checked out a rental paid by Mazda, and it is the first time since I'd bought it 3 years ago. What bugs me was the bumpy and stiff ride I felt from my 3 years old MPV, comparing to the ride in a 06 or 07 Hyundai Sonata rental. That Sonata with the V6 is very FAST and SMOOTH. Maybe it is the fact that the MPV sits higher than a car.
    I got a $19 oil change at my Mazda dealership the other day, discounted down from $34. They did a good job with the oil change, used Valvoline... and even gave it a quick wash after.

They did try to sell quite a bit though. I'm currently at 28k, and they wanted me to do the 30k mile service. That would have been $540... which I declined. They said the OEM Dunlop tires still had about 7k on them and asked if I wanted a rotation and balance. I stated I would be replacing them within about 5 months. I did get some quotes on tire prices though. They didn't carry any of the tires I was interested in. A replacement set of OEM Dunlops were $189 a piece with $60 to mount and balance them all... a definite pass on the Dunlops. :)
    to my MPV. Exactly 3 years ago today I drove her home from the dealership with 12 miles on the odometer. The family and I have been very pleased thus far with the overall quality and reliability (knock on wood). Still get comments on it's stylish good looks... just like the jipster. :shades:
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Congrats! Ours turns 5 at the end of this month. DW still loves her MPV, that's what matters.

-Brian
    Thanks Brian. After 3 years DW and myself still look forward to getting behind the wheel.
    The squeaky steering problem's finally been fixed. But I was told that the same problem could happen again in the future. It must be a $300 to $500 job because it took them all day.
    About the vibration, the dealer indicated that the front left tire is out of round(easy to say). They did not even both to balance those tires for me as I'd requested. I guess I have to bug the other dealer who sold me those tires thru tires for life program. what a pain, I should have picked the Michelin instead of the Yoko.