Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    dmarino1dmarino1 Member Posts: 2
    YOU CAN GET A WRX IN SANTA MONICA. YOU CAN PLACE AN ORDER AT M.S.R.P.(THE GOING RATE IN SO. CAL.)
    WHILE THE 13TH IS A DELIVERY DATE, NOT ALL THE CARS ARE COMING IN THEN. MOST WILL BE IN THE WEEK OF THE 19TH SOMETIME, ACCORDING TO MY DELIVERY SCHEDULE. BY THE WAY, I AM THE MANAGER AT SANTA MONICA SUBARU. 1301 SANTA MONICA BLVD. HAVE BEEN WITH SUBARU SINCE 1985 IN MASSACHUSETTS.
    REGARDS,
    DON MARINO
  • Options
    j_grimaldij_grimaldi Member Posts: 1
    i currently own a subaru, does this allow me to apply for the VIP program, or is this something that is allocated to those who work for Subaru
  • Options
    pdx1pdx1 Member Posts: 2
    I will do my best to have a gander at the Subbie dock down here in Portland and see what has arrived.

Also - Stephen in Seattle, I have the exact same silver wagon 5 speed set for the first delivery.

Cheers,

John in PDX
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    John:

That's cool! I struggled a bit w/color choices but think I made a good choice w/silver. There was no struggle about staying w/5spd though. What options did you get, if any? I have the center armrest ext., upgraded sec pkg, & auto dimming mirror/compass.

Hey..don't go nabbin' my car now from the docks down there :-)

Seriously, looking forward to driving it. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. My home e-mail is on my profile.

Stephen
  • Options
    limerencelimerence Member Posts: 4
    I know almost everyone here is for the manual transmission. However, since its not out yet, how do you guys know if the automatic is wimpy? I ask this cause I want to get the car but debating between the stick and automatic. I'm just your're regular Joe Schmoe so when you guys through in all the technical stuff about the differences, I'm at a loss. To the average driver, whats the pros and cons of the automatic vs. the manual. If you guys know of any reviews on the automatic, that would be great. Also, anyone have a list and/or price sheet of the available options you can tack on when getting the WRX through the dealer?

John
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you're not "into" performance, or don't care about shifting, get the automatic. It's a good unit, and you will get a better resale value when you go to trade it.

Bob
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Check into Edmunds New car site, they have a listing of options or www.new-impreza.com also has a listing of options and aftermarket upgrades.

My feeling about getting an auto. w/the WRX is "why bother". It's a performance car and if you don't want or need the most "stock" performance it has to offer then go w/a RS or another vehicle altogether. Once again, the WRX is about "driving", the auto tranny numbs the experience. Just my .02. BTW, I'm trading in my 00'OB Ltd w/auto...as a point of reference.

Stephen
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    I posted this over on the Sports car WRX forum, but heres a different pic for here:

Its ProgSi's car from I-club, hes in Puerto Rico, and yes I have permision to post this pic... Heres the website as well: http://www.pr-roadracing.com/mywrx.htm

There are a couple of side-by-side pics with the last gen for comparison.

I think the new gen looks better in every way now! :) Especially that black... *drooool*

• Options
    icecremanicecreman Member Posts: 5
    Orr-

Thanks for the information... I am really happy I looked into the program.

j_grimaldi-

Unfortunately, I think the VIP program is for people who work for Subaru or companies somehow associated with Subaru (like I said, in my case, I work for a vendor for Subaru).
  • Options
    corduroygtcorduroygt Member Posts: 19
    As everyone told before, stick is a MUST for the performance enthusiast. Auto would be useful for city commuting, but then why spend 25K for a WRX? Get the lower 2.5RS with an auto if you don't care about performance. Another compelling reason to get a stick is the fact that you will save $1000 which can go towards insurance, mods, etc.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Unless the automatic is programmed to delay upshifts, it seems like you'd miss the point of owning a WRX - the turbo doesn't provide much boost below 3K rpm, and the automatic would tend to keep the car in the gutless part of the rev range by upshifting too soon. The above advice is good - save your money and get a 2.5RS or base Impreza... or another car altogether.
  • Options
    hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    What if you were looking for an automatic sedan that could run a 15.0 sec 1/4 mile and handle well in all weather conditions? For under $25,000 new, how many choices would you have? We haven't ever seen a performance test of a WRX with the automatic so how can you say how much performance you will be loosing? If you plan on treating you manual WRX like a baby with no high RPM launches (like used by Grassroots motorsports to get a 5.5 sec 0-60 on the WRX) then I bet subie's claim of 6.1-6.5 sec 0-60 will hold true for both the manual and automatic versions. The automatic also gets the better AWD system which will improve it's handling. Also a good launch on dry pavement with a turbo lagging manual AWD is not an easy balance between abuse and bog. I'm sure at full throttle the automatic WRX is programed to hold the gear until redline, and then it can shift faster and not lose boost like the manual car will (unless you use an abusive powershift). The automaic will weigh a bit more and it has one less gear so it is sure to not be faster then a manual, I just don't think it will be much slower either.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    A quote from the Impreza brochure:
    "This transmission has an automatic power mode which engages with rapid use of the accelerator pedal."
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Yeah, they have the same thing w/my 00'OB w/auto and it's not that impressive...so, sorry: I say "whatever". I'm not willing to compromise the WRX's performance w/an auto tranny. I think most would agree. The point about the turbo lag being even more annoying w/auto tranny is a good point.

Stephen
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    not in a WRX. It's quite a waste to get an auto for it. That's just me. Better get some Buick or Caddy if you want auto. U're missing out in the driving experience.
  • Options
    tweety_birdtweety_bird Member Posts: 1
    Santa Cruz Subaru said they have 28 coming in on the 12th. All but 4 or 5 are reserved. They claimed to have the most wrx in the bay area.
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Gang:

My name is Tom and I am a return visitor. I say return because I used to own a 97 outback sport. I got rid of this vehicle in February 2000. At the time, I thought I wanted something larger. The Forester was too expensive and a little small on the inside, especially in the rear. I would up getting a Honda CRV LX 5 spd. After 24,000 TROUBLE FREE miles (cant sya the same for my outback sport (rear went after 10,000 miles, reoccuring hesitation when gas pedal depressed "heartily"), I found myself wanting to come "back home". Soobs AWD kicks Hondas [non-permissible content removed] all over the place. I dont care what other Honda owners say, that pseudo real time 4 wheel drive is not for me. I miss my soob in that department. Otherwise, the Crv is roomy, comfortable, nice riding. I was at the Chicago Auto Show and almost creamed my pants when I saw the wrx. I immediately thought, "ok, how long will it be before I convince myself I need one." There was an outback sport on display as well. I dont think I can afford the wrx, so what would be the next best alternative. I kinda like the extra utility of the wagon. Thanx gang

Tom
  • Options
    Outback Sport or a Forester Wagon would be good choices.
  • Options
    limerencelimerence Member Posts: 4
    What's the best price on WRX's that you guys have come across? I've called a couple of places and only Santa Cruz Subaru sells it for less than MSRP. However, I then called Stevens Creek Subaru back and they said they would match the price. The people at Santa Cruz Subaru seemed genuinely nice while the salespeople at Stevens Creek Subaru seemed kinda shady to me. Any input on bay area Subaru dealerships (preferably close to San Jose) and/or how do they treat their customers afterwards in terms of customer service?
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Think RS or Outback Sport.

Bob
  • Options
    outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    I can't wait to drive the WRX. I am having the auto vs. 5 speed debate with the wife. I currently drive a 2000 Outback w/auto and I have no complaints. In the WRX though I would favor a manual but it will be the wife's car and she isn't too hot with stick shifts. I think the 5 speed will be quicker but I also think Subaru builds good auto's. What to do??? One of the previous posts mentioned the power mode on the automatics and that is true (I sell them too) the automatic on any Subaru will hold each gear to the redline if you keep the pedal to the floor. When y ou use part throttle it will upshift quickly to conserve fuel.
  • Options
    jasonc410jasonc410 Member Posts: 2
    I order my 5/SPD Sliver WRX last week and the salesperson told me that he can get me below the MSRP and maybe some options, too. They are getting 76 of them by 3/15/01. (I guess they're getting too many and trying to get rid of it) They're located in Irvine, LA and the # is 949-837-3500. Go order one folks!
  • Options
    ottosottos Member Posts: 80
    One example of why it frustrates me to use an automatic transmission is when I want to accelerate out of a turn at full blast. So as I exit the corner, I want to apply full power, right? But the transmission kicks down and I get a tremendous jerk. In snow or rain, this is very rude. With a stick shift, however, I can accelerate at controlled full power in the proper gear.

to me, it is too frustrating. I would go bananas in any performance car with a conventional automatic.

However, I must admit that the CVT automatic is the best transmission I have driven. On a Honda civic, if you put it in low gear, the tranny keeps the revs up very high all the time, like around 5000 rpm which is close to full power. So no jerking, just maximum power available at all road speeds (except very slow). This is unlike a stick shift, where the engine reaches max power only briefly (although you are flooring it, the engine is only making relative max power at the current RPM, which is usually not the RPM where it makes absolute maximum power).
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on now! (5-6pm Pacific/8-9pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/freewaychat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    wrxpwrwrxpwr Member Posts: 3
    I posted a remark in the other WRX forum about just ordering my WRX. I jumped in on the lastest discussion about price and wanted to add my two cents. The sales manager at the Subaru dealership in Peoria, IL seems to be a very up front and honest guy (I know honest car salesman is almost an oxymoron..no offense to any sales guys out there.) I got the car for 23,900 with the preferred option group 2 and carbon fiber kit. The MSRP is 25,400. I bought the car that he is holding for the local auto show and he through in free oil changes, all that crap noone buys (scotchguarding and such) as well as giving a decent deal on a dealer installed spoiler. His name is Bob Roles and again, was really pleasant to work with (I plan on buying an Outback for the wife when she tires of the Explorer). Good luck and hopes this helps anyone in the midwest region.
  • Options
    intrigue3intrigue3 Member Posts: 15
    I can cut the anticipation with a knife. Amazing.

I am equally as guilty. I've been keeping quiet, but I just sold my 92 Toyota MR2 Turbo, and am quietly awaiting the arrival of a silver 5sp WRX sedan next week. The MR2 has been great for almost 10 years, but it's time to move on. I don't know what I'll be giving up in handling, but I'm sure the WRX will get me to and from work, regardless of the climate. I have read about the oversteer the WRX may have- nothing will oversteer like this MR2 (except maybe a 911). So I'm looking forward to some equally distributed power.

Yeah, I must admit, I'm squirming with anticipation.
  • Options
    mrobinson3mrobinson3 Member Posts: 13
    One look at a typical Japanese auto mag lists several cars that look like this one --- not that they perform as well, but they look like this.
    Finally a car from Japan that wasn't designed for the American market.
    - Mason
  • Options
    dmarino1dmarino1 Member Posts: 2
    THE VIP PROGRAM IS FOR PEOPLE WHO WORK WITH SUBARU,VENDORS,PROMOTIONAL PEOPLE,PHOTOGRAPHERS,ADVERTISING PEOPLE,ETC. BUT I HAVE ALSO DONE VIP PROGRAMS FOR FRIENDS OF HIGH LEVEL EXECUTIVES...SO IF YOU KNOW ONE PERSONALLY MAYBE YOU CAN GET ONE....
    DON MARINO
    SANTA MONICA SUBARU
  • Options
  • Options
    wil02wil02 Member Posts: 10
    I'm from the SF bay area and got a deal with the new 02' WRX for 4.5% over dealer invoice, a yellow one with a few options, 26.5K out of door.

Anyone wants to know the dealer?!
  • Options
    vsamvsam Member Posts: 3
    If those of you in LA are willing to drive to San Diego, the fleet manager at Balboa Subaru is selling them at 1K over invoice. Everyone else in Southern Cal. wants MSRP. If anyone else has found a better deal in the area, please let me know. In the mean time, i've placed an order on a silver sedan.
  • Options
    rickcruzinrickcruzin Member Posts: 3
    Please tell me the name of the dealership where you got your WRX from. I heard that Santa Cruz Subaru is selling under MSRP. When are you expecting delivery? Thanks.
  • Options
    jasonc410jasonc410 Member Posts: 2
    vsam,

Please read the msg. #675 dated March 09, 01
  • Options
    wil02wil02 Member Posts: 10
    rickcruzin,
    the delivery will be mid-March, please try subaru of Albany.
  • Options
    vsamvsam Member Posts: 3
    jasonc410,

what are you getting at? I read message #675 and I don't understand. Your post says you can get the car at Irvine Subaru for below MSRP, but i doesn't say for how much. Balboa Subaru will give it to you for 1K over invoice which is still almost $950 below MSRP. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.
  • Options
    sajohnsonsajohnson Member Posts: 48
    The latest Car+Driver has a rave review of the WRX! "...it's perfect and I love it. For the dough, you won't find another car that does so many things well." (Larry Webster)

Their testing confirmed 0-60 in 5.8 sec., 1/4 mile in 14.7 sec. @ 93 mph, top speed 140 mph (drag limited), 0-100 in 17.5 sec., 0-120 in 28.2 sec.

If any of you are still on the fence about purchasing one, this review will make the decision a lot easier! If you've alredy ordered (like myself) it will chase away any symptoms of buyer's remorse!

Happy reading!
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    That 1/4 mile is high, cause its 14.18 for the japanese spec (250hp) and 17.5 for the Euro/Ausie spec (215hp)
  • Options
    My appologies-I didn't look back far enough to see that others had already posted the numbers from Car+Driver a few days ago.

To kostamojen2: I assume you meant to type 14.5, not 17.5 sec. for the Euro Spec. 1/4 mile. Are you implying that the U.S. Spec. WRX should do the 1/4 in something less than 14.5 sec.?
  • Options
    Make sure to take advantage of your free SCCA membership. And start thinking about where to put your WRX/SCCA sticker.
  • Options
    lisac012lisac012 Member Posts: 1
    Reply to msg 672.
    I went to Subaru/Kia dealership in Stevens Creek last week. The sales person I spoke with was extremely rude and condescending. When I asked about the 2002 Impreza Sport Wagon, the sales person responded in an incredulous and impatient tone: "The 2001 model just arrived two months ago. And you're looking for the 2002 model? Is that what you're looking for?" Obviously, this guy had no idea what he was talking about. I think he was either hoping to sell me a Kia or he was trying to do system selling (you know the mean salesman vs. the nice salesman stuff). I think I was in that dealership for less than 1 minute before I walked right out of it. These guys do not deserve my business.
    I would instead recommend the Carlsen dealership in Redwood City. They are much more patient and friendlier.
  • Options
    outbackguruoutbackguru Member Posts: 25
    Has anybody ordered one yet in Texas and where did you buy from. What kind of deal did you get?
  • Options
    mandilmandil Member Posts: 1
    There is a very well written review by someone who test drove a wrx today in the chat room over at www.i-club.com in there wrx countdown section. Well worth your time to check it out if your interested in the car.
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    I second what mandil said...totally worth checking out, a great review. It makes you want to go out and drive one NOW!!!

Stephen
  • Options
    klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    Just out of curiosity, what ages are the people who participate in this forum? Also, are most of us guys?

I read that the WRX is heavily targeted towards younger males and I just wanted to see if this was the case ....

By the way, I'm a 26 year-old male.
  • Options
    tmchughtmchugh Member Posts: 1
    I was out today in NE Philadelphia at the subaru dealerships, but could not see any new Impreza WRX's. Can anyone tell me where I may get a test drive and what the chances are of getting one for near invoice price ???
  • Options
    and i'm getting excited.
  • Options
    that Subaru will void your warranty when you race your car and now they are providing a membership free to WRX owners.
  • Options
    and i'm getting excited.
  • Options
    bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    Did anyone else note that in the latest issue of Car and Driver, where the review puts the WRX's 0-60 time at 5.8 secs, Subaru's own ad of the WRX on the back cover lists the 0-60 time as 6.4? In fact, every independent test I've read of the WRX (both Euro and US spec) puts the 0-60 time at sub 6 secs. Yet, Subaru lists it as 6.1 at best. I wonder why. Maybe it's for insurance purposes. If so, God bless Subaru!
  • Options
    I've wondered the same thing, and came to the same conclusion. Another posibility is that Subaru doesn't want to promote high rpm launches by publishing low E.T.'s. Or they are publishing times for the automatic WRX.

If Subaru is hedging for insurance purposes, I don't think they'll fool them too much. Last I heard, insurance companies look at power to weight ratios, as well as theft and accident losses. In the good old days (mid 60's to early 70's) mfr's would actually purposely underrate their engines' torque and horsepower. You don't suppose...
This discussion has been closed.