Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Definitely need a jacket for 60 degree weather? That's funny. Today we hit 63 degrees and I was riding home with both front windows down, sunroof open, and wearing a light shirt.

Of course, in the north east, 63 degrees in March is pretty abnormal and I like to take advantage of it.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I made the mistake of telling the girl who's camera I borrowed to download the picture "when she had the chance." In knowing her, I should have known better...still don't have it. But when I do I may have to email it to you to post.

I'm looking to buy myself a digital very soon.
  • Options
    Do you have an LHS? They stopped making the slate M's mid 2000. If you have an M you would have to replace all the window bezels which would be pretty pricey. One front bezel alone costs $159 from the OEM Parts dealer. If it's an LHS I assume you could do the same if they did at one time make them without the chrome.
  • Options
    cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    Nah, it's an M, 2001. For some reason I thought that the dark green was called deep slate. At any rate it is a dark green 2001, and that chrome trim on the window is just too much with the dark car and very dark tinted windows.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    welcome to the club! I can't wait to see them. How do you like the sound? Also, I'm sure for a small labor cost Ed would move those tips for you if you wanted.
  • Options
    Oh, and thanks for the info Blonda. At least I know what it is going to take to get rid of the chrome, now I have to decide how badly I want to. I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    rustoleum?

just kidding. :)
  • Options
    I'll bring my stock air filter, my dash kit, dash samples (from discount dash), and the intake system that I ripped out. Maybe glennbp could bring his stock stereo and basslink for show and tell. Hopefully the dealer will have a table we can use for show-and-tell...otherwise it'll look like a swap meet out there. lol
  • Options
    Love the way it sounds. Don't really notice any resonance and it's definitely a deeper, richer sound and not too loud inside at all. Only listened to it from the outside for a few seconds at the shop so will have to check it out again when I get home tonight. The tips are probably fine. I felt the same way about the clamp-ons I had on there before. They were even longer than these (but of course not as big). At first I thought it didn't look right and took them off and replaced them with some different ones. Somehow I lost one (or someone stole it)so I put the longer ones back on and I grew to really like them and the way it made the back end look more upturned.
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    It seems the local Target Store cart cowboy used my right rear bumper and side 1/4 panel for a pivot post for a line of shopping carts. $600. damage.
    Good news, while body shop has the bumper cover off, they'll cut out the hole for my DUALS. Luckily I'll be on vacation, so won't need the car for a week. Sometimes things just work out!!!!!
    Rick
  • Options
    I'll try to remember to bring the brown leather samples I got from wheelskins too.
  • Options
    :) Ya, a steel wool pad might give me a nice, muted, brushed metal look.
  • Options
    Well I don't think we're even going to be able to see an '02 M at Bob Baker, let alone a Special. I just did a search of their new inventory on the website and it brings up quite a few '01 M's and no '02's. They have a few Prowlers though.
  • Options
    kimieskimies Member Posts: 22
    Haven't heard back from Joshua Tree as of yet..I might be interested in the piece that goes around the stereo and such. Let me know. Am picking up my spoiler tomorrow and I put on one of those magnetic bra's..looks great(on the car, not me). After I have the spoiler put on I will post a pic for all to see...
    Kim
  • Options
    Where did you get your spoiler? You putting it on yourself? Installing them isn't for the faint-hearted. I broke into a cold sweat when I had to drill holes in my trunk. :)

I'd also like to see how the magnetic bra looks (the car's or yours) when you get it on. I have the slip over kind and I've been considering replacing it since the material is deteriorating on me.

If you email me your address at mritchi1@san.rr.com I can mail you the piece of wood trim that was sent to me by another on this board (uxca, if my 40 year old memory hasn't failed me). Just promise you'll keep it circulating. :)

M
  • Options
    kimieskimies Member Posts: 22
    I promise..cross my magnetic bra..seriously though the bra looks great, theres no wrinkles or crinkles and its painless to put on. Don't have to remove it to wash the car. And about the spoiler..me install it..no way..will have a professional do it. Check your mail will send you my address.
  • Options
    Got the email. I'll put the trim piece in the mail tomorrow. The actual kit that I received is browner than the piece that you'll be getting. My initial caution about the kit was due to the fact that the sample piece was redder than my trim, but when I got the actual kit it was a fine match. I *think* that the door and seat pieces aren't matched as perfectly as the rest because they're not up against other trim for a direct comparison. Since I'm sending you a seat piece that may be why the color is off a bit.

Oh, here are pics of my spoiler install. It's not *too* bad if you're marginally mechanically inclined. http://www.ritchiefamily.com/car/spoiler/

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can't use the Town Hall to buy or sell stuff. It's part of the Membership Agreement, and it is how we keep the sales folks from beating all of you over the heads with their wares.

You can give stuff away, no problem with that at all! I'm glad to see that seems to be the basis of the recent postings about exchanging property. (Right?)

I'm hoping to prevent future issues, not smack down what's going on at the moment, okay? If money is involved, please take it off-line - it ain't s'posed to happen here!

Thanks for your understanding. Please feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions about this.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    I need to get new front rotors and brakes. I was thinking about getting cross drilled ones but they're too expensive for me now.

I then went to the local Midas shop and got a quote. Then a friend of mine said I'd be better off getting new rotors and brakes from a dealer because theirs will be a better quality than from Midas.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I would think Midas would have just as good parts as the dealer would.
  • Options
    I think you said it once before (or another wise person did), that it's a shame that the "letter" of the law needs to be enforced here rather than the "intent" of the law. The intent was to keep this place from turning into a flea market. The letter is the prevention of any offering, even if the goal is to assist others. I wonder if we're allowed to post a message here that says..."visit the for sale board at (url) for 300M parts and stuff that we're not allowed to offer here". lol
  • Options
    but I thought you guys might find this amusing. http://luddite.net/oldtad/tugboat/towboat.htm
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    rules are rules---but at least Chrylser 300M Enthusiast Club members can use the board on the club site to offer parts etc for sale or to post links to sites that offer 300M accessories---

But I do think most of our posts about sellling stuff at near giveaway prices or with links for companies offering parts for the M are in good faith and not to make a personal gain---but are posted to help out other M owners.

The potential for abuse was alway there and some outsider could come in and post to make a profit but I never saw it happen here. But we dont make the rules and will have to skirt the issue by posting items for sale on the club site. However, I do wish that Pat will be understanding if one of our regular proven board users posts a link to M parts obviously just to help out a fellow memer find a needed part for his M.

Opinions and reaction welcome

Easyrider300M
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Nice to see that the Exxon Valdez crew is back to work......I guess everbody has a right to a job!!
  • Options
    hahahaha
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Hi all. If you'll recall, I requested a 2002 Concorde LTD for a company car a few weeks ago.

Well, I saw the list today and confirmed that it's on order (with a summer ETA). I also learned that it is blue, but I don't know which shade. I also don't know what color interior it will have.

Finally, I noted that it doesn't have the luxury package, which means no wood trim.

Would someone be so kind as to post some pictures of the interior without wood trim? All the pictures in the brochure show the trim and I suspect that without the wood, the dashboard may look a little bleak. Since I will probably drive this car for the next five years (and I spend A LOT of time behind the wheel), I might consider spending some of my own money for a few aftermarket pieces (I especially like the two pieces that run the width of the dashboard).

Have fun at your meet!

Brian
  • Options
    lancerubinlancerubin Member Posts: 12
    (The 2 inputs are AM and FM.)

What I noticed is that the same wires in the rear window are for the defroster and as such maybe they are doing double duty which is why the FM reception is less then on the jeep with the same radio.

I did unplug the power source to the EBL module and FM reception was much less. I still seek to improve the FM reception, any thoughts?

(the EBL module is an impedance matching amplifier. Any amplifier needs external power to operate.)
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much peak horsepower/torque the 1996 Intrepid with 3.5L DOHC has? I can't find any archives for reference.

I'm driving one as a loaner right now and am pretty pleased with it's power (it loves to rev). Some gripes? The transmission doesn't downshift as readily as I'd like, touchy throttle tip-in, weak low end torque.

I'm curious about the 1996 Intrepid's performance as compared to the 2002 LTD/300M. Any opinions?
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >....peak horsepower/torque the 1996
    >Intrepid with 3.5L DOHC...

It's actually SOHC, 214 HP.
    A 300 has the same engine but "tuned" to 253 HP. The Special is 5 HP more I believe.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I want the exhaust system that tug has, to be submerged and still run.
    You said 60 with wind is cool, that is freezing in my neighborhood. I will bring my jacket and skies. (how much snow is on the ground? j/k) I will be leaving in an hour for LA.
  • Options
    You will have to bring it to the next AZ meet. It seems that after the first cut out I made it gets less painful to do things like drilling holes into the car. I mounted my own wing, and along with the hood scoop (10 holes, one of which was 6" across). My cousin gets worried about her truck every time she sees me with a tool. They tell me I am watching too much of the Junk Yard Wars tv show. (I wish I had some of there tools though).
  • Options
    My struts didn't come in, in time to mount them along with the Intrax springs. Well I guess it will have to wait for the next meet.
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    They are the same as on a Concorde, which uses black ones.
    If you want to change them, you're not the first. Just ask the dealer parts for part #s and prices for the '02 Concorde DLO's.
    You'll have a fair bit of work to change them, the door panels and window trim have to come off.
    It's probably easier to paint them, although paint won't stick to the polished surface very well.
  • Options
    Doesn't the Concorde have the same fake wood trim (rosewood) as the M? In reading about the luxury group option it appears that it's the same, as it adds real burlwood and wood trim on the steering wheel like the M does. The Concorde LTD is essentially the high end model that replaces the LHS...which had the same interior as the M. Soooo...my guess is that you'll have plenty of wood trim, you just have fake stuff instead of burlwood. :) It's interesting that some of the pictures on the chrysler site show wood trim around the shift console, and also some around the CD changer control on the dash...neither of which is available on the M (which is why we buy the woodtrim kits).
  • Options
    Drive safely!
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Has anyone seen the ad where the Michelin Man fondles the tires at his factory? Creepy.
  • Options
    lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    Yes, it is a wee bit bizarre. The premise is, he inspects each tire as it passes on the line, and weeps as it leaves. He turns to show surprise and amour as a new one comes down the pipe.

I think I am gonna stick with the Dunlop SP Sport A2 tires I plan on buying next week. Those French cry so easily :)
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Great tugboat scene!

Jacket???? 60's????? Man, you SD people are spoiled! It was 63 here in CT yesterday and I had the windows open and the moonroof! ;-)) If I had a convertible, I'd probably have the top down! ;-))

Have fun at the meet tomorrow! Don't forget to post those pics ASAP!!

fastdriver
  • Options
    arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    My baby's rear end 8^)

My baby's eyes...

Who's a Pretty Girl???

• Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You'll have wood in all the same places that the Lux. Grp. cars have, you just won't have it on the steering wheel. It spans the dash, is on all the doors, and is around the shifter in the Concorde Limited (as it was in the identical LHS). But, rather than be real and "burl", the fake stuff is "rosewood" or in other terms, reddish brown with horizontal black lines across it. Doesn't look too bad, but is cheap IMO, and resembles like Car & Driver once said "a brown strip of plastic with lines drawn on by a black magic marker.

Just hope you get Sapphire Blue!! A little harder to keep clean but looks great when it is, much more so than the cheap gunmetal blue that every other carmaker uses on their low-end cars, like Kia who offers "Steel Blue" on the Rio. I know, I know guys, a lot of you don't like Deep Slate either, but we've always hated any lighter shades of blue, expecially something as cheap and Buick-like like Steel Blue!

-My apologies to any of you who have a Steel Blue M! You can say anything you'd like about our car! It rattles, it vibrates, the transmission is garbage, blah, blah, blah--or as my mother says, "It's a piece of crap!" It so far has done just about everything but leave us stranded, so in actuality it has been "reliable" as some would consider it. I guess for a $30k Chrysler as long as it starts and moves everyday, it's perfectly fine?
  • Options
    Oh, that's enough M bashing for the day out of me! Now, I must think happier thoughts!

You know, I actually like this car when it's not driving us nuts. So much so, that if I were in the market for a sport/luxury sedan, a new black Special with the 2-tone interior would be high on the list of possibilities. But, I still want to see a spy pic or something of the new 300N, out racing in the desert covered in tape and bags or something! If the quality is improved and the Hemi actually has some head-snapping grunt to it, it will be one heck of a car! But, that's only if the looks are at least up to par with the M! I hope they don't come out with something so boxy and ugly as the "production" Crossfire.
  • Options
    I'm glad to know there is fake wood in the LTD because the Intrepid I'm driving now has nothing but BLACK and it's ugly. I don't usually like wood trim, but with this interior, it looks good when used sparingly.

wire2 - Thanks, I didn't know is was SOHC (not that it matters, Honda has shown how great SOHC engines are). With such an improvement in HP, the LTD should be at least as quick, despite the weight gain it no doubt underwent.

sdmike2 - I think the wood trim around the CD player you saw is from a picture of the Concorde LXi. It has a different dashboard/console.
  • Options
    I would have driven a Steel Blue with Taupe if the one I saw had PHG. I think its gorgeous.
  • Options
    Don't get over-excited with how fast the Cocorde LTD will be. It's no slouch, that's for sure, but the 250 horsepower rated at the flywheel is drastically cut in this car. Mainly the power-sapping transmission is to blame. But, at higher speeds, it will pull endlessly like a freight-train (not that I'd know myself yet...).

Oh, but you're used to the AWD Rendezvous. Well, if you can live through 12-13 second struggles to 60, I think an 8 second blitz will feel like a race car. I've read the numbers in reviews of Rendezvous, but are they really that "out of breath" without much power? I would imagine that even without a lot of horses, the GM pushrod would pull pretty decently off the line.
  • Options
    Like I said, we all think the Steel Blue looks cheap, but we've never been real fans of blue cars or anything for that matter. As far as the Lt. Taupe, good choice, that's the nicest M interior color made. Sandstone (I know you have it) is a bit too camel-like and the slate/agate that we have shows dust and dirt too easily and makes the interior look smaller than it is. It also gets hotter in the sun than the lighter colors.

It's a good thing you didn't get Steel Blue & Taupe, because "Big Red" is a real beauty!!
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    I hava a 99 Intrepid ES with the candy apple red exterior and Tan leather interior. I have added the Exotic Wood Dash trim and a spoiler from Spoilerdepot.com. The dash trim really dresses up the interior, I've had many favorable comments on it. Mounting my spoiler was easier than SDMike's because onlt 4 holes are required and they are 1/2 inch from the edge of trunklid so I only had to drill thru one layer of trunk.
  • Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    hope you all have a blast tomorrow--wish I could be there, but the drive would be a little long. I will be there in spirit, though and wish you a pleasant day, good companionship and camraderie.
    sdmike2, will call you on the cell around 12:00noon PST which would be around 3pm Noo Joisey trime---if we don't connect, well I'd understand! Take lots of pix!

Regards to all my fellow 300m'ers!

Doc
  • Options
    My mother has a friend at work who's hoping to sell her Caravan. She knows that I can find out just about anything anyone wants on the internet and wanted me to find the best few classifieds sites where she can put an add that's viewed by a lot of people yet doesn't cost much or is free. I told her I'd look around and see what I can come up with. There's one local site that allows allows free ads for an unlimited time and pictures, that we've used before ourselves.

Do you guys have any ideas?

-beach
  • Options
    Not sure of the fees, but www.autotrader.com has a ton of listings and a lot of traffic.
  • Options
    The weather is beautiful here today (60s and the occasional fluffy cloud) and it should be the same tomorrow for the meet. I wish I had time for another coat of Zaino. I'll be lucky if I have time to even wash Big Red. Anyway, the other good news is that dealer has committed some stuff to us for door prizes. Not sure how many, but the GM said he'd put together a "box" with some shirts and hats and stuff in it. How cool is that!?! :) So those attending should have a pretty good shot at walking away with some decent goodies from this event, in addition to the company of some good folks.

If anyone here is still on the fence, get off it and come on out! :)http://www.ritchiefamily.com/sdmeet.htm

Mike
  • Options
    Well, my mother has been acting really mad about the car all day. She called me from work after she got back to work after lunch and asked for the vin#. Since then, she just emailed me and has a case number and other stuff at the Chrysler headquarters now. And, to top it off, she just found out that more parts for the car have been in just sitting around but no one has called her. Chrysler is supposed to really get on the dealer's behind, and the guy suppossedly told her on the phone that she should have filed for arbitration after all the problems the car has had, we'd just have to have the records.

Oh my, the soap opera goes on and on....

-beach