Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Looking for advice on putting drain holes in my 99M's mirrors. Where is best, how much "stuff" is in the way, what can I hurt? Real tired of water draining out and streaking the windows and sides. Put small holes near the training edge where I could see them, but no real help. Thanks!
  • Options
    herrmdoggherrmdogg Member Posts: 69
    Actually I'm not kidding. It's all about customizing to me. =)

The aquarium is a custom job done with lexan and will be fitted flush into where the rear arm rest was. I will be using baby oil and 2 small compressors to make the bubbles. Baby oil is better than water because since it's thicker, the bubbles travel to the top much slower creating a better effect.

Getting to the spare is quite easy actually. When we built the housing for the air tanks and compressors, we made it so that loosening 2 bolts will allow me to move those tanks out of the way and get right to the spare. I'll be getting my spare 20" Lexani Krystal rim and 245-35-20 Toyo Proxes T1-S tire here shortly as well to replace the stock on that is back there currently.

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    won't that kill the fish? :)
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    well i am ready to order up my rims, and i was planning on ordering 5, for spare as well, plexy the back so u can see right thru it and all that, but i tried to put my 20" tire in there today, wouldn't fit!! ahhh!! oh well, a little more modification. that doesn't hurt. but how are you gonna get it in, i am still making a few plans to see what will work best and what will look good as well..
  • Options
    ca2stayca2stay Member Posts: 5
    I contacted Eibach back in June and they indicated that they sold their last set of 300M springs and had no plans to make any more. If anyone has recently spoken with Eibach and found otherwise, please let me know.

I'm also considering altering the throttle body to increase air flow. I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade the fuel injectors as well. If so, will the computer be able to adjust to the changes or will I have problems with calibration.

Would I be better off considering modifying a throttle body from a 3.9L V6 Dodge Dakota for use on the 300M? I was considering heading down that investigation path, but if anyone else has studied this it would be helpful.
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    i totalled my new M today!!!!!! i rolled it four times going around a curve to fast, then wrapped it around a tree!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    just kidding. hahahah!
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    you know what they say: people who lie may see their lies become true----hope not!---drive carefully now, phases---maybe your next M will be a red one--might as well have owned one of each color ;}
  • Options
    did i get ya? hehe sorry, im just sooooo bored right now, it just came to me.
  • Options
    why dont you fire up the M and take a nice cruise--go out and see how fast you can go around some curves ;}
  • Options
    LOL!! not after that mental picture! i've been crusin allll day! :)
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    My wife drove to a one hour appointment this morning, and THREE hours later she came home. She's either having an affair, or she was out playing in the M. ;)
  • Options
    I didn't believe your "rolling" post for a minute. After all, you have PHG. ;)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    My '99 M has just over 26,000 miles on the odo and I've never had a problem with the mpg (given the car's weight/power and desire to be driven at high speeds!). Local weekday commuting to work (highway, backroad, stop/go) I get in the 20-21mpg range. Highway trips, 65-85mph I get 26-28 mpg.
    All continues to be great with the car. Only issue currently is some buzzing/rattling behind or below me, in the door or B pillar? I'll have it checked out at 30k miles. Two window motors and a windshield are the only replacements. Chrome razorstars still look great (when clean and shiny). Good(bad)year tires have never been an issue.
    Great car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    After speaking with the local Jiffy-Lube trolls, I made a decision to do the power flush instead of dropping the pan. They showed me how you could actually see debris coming out of the transmission, and that all the fluid is changed, versus 30% in the pan drop method. I'll probably do the flush every 18 months, or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. Cost was $80, the same as quoted for a pan drop by AAMCO. I will be watching for leaks since they connected at the cooler hoses. I made sure that they used the correct fluid, and he showed me the Chrysler part number for the fluid is right on the dipstick, so the dealers that have put in the wrong fluid in a couple of posters' cars are just plain incompetent and/or negligent.

Silver
  • Options
    at a gas station i passed so i turned around and went back. talked to the guy a while, he has some awesome rimms on there, and there just 17's, he said he didnt wanna hurt the ride, and they still looked AWESOME! i think i may have to get em..

and he had some tint on there, cost him over a grand. it was real cool, when its bright outside they turn black, when its dark outside they get clear, if i had known u could get that, id done it!! sadly, very sadly, i forgot to tell him about the club and edmunds,.. but, thats the second time i've talked to him (i remember on the way home i talked to him at the place i got my tint done a couple cars ago) and i see him all the time, so ill get to him ;)

I LOVE MY CAR!!!! sorry had to get that out. but its not enough to overpower the crap im feeling anyway. i hate being in the army, its so much bull, not to mention bout a thousand other things but this is a car board not a theropist board..

anywho... im board someone post something
  • Options
    jedi_knightjedi_knight Member Posts: 89
    I ordered the KMC Tramp rims with a set of Pilot tires on Saturday. They'll be in on Tuesday but I won't get home in time to have them installed so it will have to wait until the weekend.

I too removed the "chrysler" letters from the sides and trunk today, man on man is my finger sore! And while I was at it clayed the trunk and doors since there were deposits on them. For those who have not tried the Zaino clay bar, get it. I had used the Meguaires bar in the past and it would track and stick from time to time. The Zaino bar leaves no tracks, slides smooth and leaves no residue.

Keith
  • Options
    yeah, u have too..........
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    When I introduced my tranny to the Amsoil Synthetic, I did both a pan drop, then the power flush.
  • Options
    a grand,lol. he had u man. that is just solar tint. it turns 35% during teh sun, and lighter during the night and all that. its factory on about a gillion cars, my surburban has it, the minivans have it, the grand cherokees have it. go look at a new suv, there all over the back windows, duh phase. adn they cost about 10$ of a grand.
  • Options
    i just smacked myself.

and it hurt.
  • Options
    forgot the :) on the last message.
  • Options
    cheer up for real man, you're starting to bring me down with ya!
  • Options
    If that cool tint is only 10% of $1,000 why did I have to pay over $200 for "regular" Llumar tint?
  • Options
    How about some pics of the rims you just bought? I know it's not the same as having them on, but I'd like to see them.
  • Options
    im good man, just one of those days ya know?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I just went to Carmax.com to see if they had received any 2002 300M's and found one. It is Cinnamon Glaze w/ Dark Slate Gray, Sunroof, Luxury Group, and a few other things. Despite the fact that other dealers appear to not be selling these yet, they had the sticker, invoice, and "No-Haggle" price listed. They already had it a little over $700 UNDER invoice. It's at the Southlake Atlanta, Gerogia store in Stockbridge, Georgia. The pricing was as follows:

No Haggle Price $29,999*
    Destination Charges, Dealer Prep $0
    MSRP $32,505
    Factory Invoice $30,732
    Savings from MSRP: $2,506

Oh yeah, and here's the picture! The grill isn't too bad, but it does look kind of like and empty black hole like someone said before. I still like our's better though. You'll have to click on the link to see it, but I'll also try to get it on the board.

2002 300M
  • Options
    how much were they? size? i may have to get those
  • Options
    We are going to build a rotating elevated platform that will constantly spin the rim in between the 2 chrome air tanks, the rim won't actually be down in the spare tire well.

I'm looking forward to those drawings on Monday too, you can send them to me in AutoCAD format if you like. First time I can say I'm actually looking forward to a Monday. =)

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Here's what the factory drain holes on an '00 look like: http://btjdesign.com/300m/mirror.html
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Thanks to whoever mentioned tapping the crud out of his air cleaner a few posts ago. I had never opened mine, and when I did today I discovered a big handful of pine needles, grass, straw, etc. in the box, some of it stuck up on the air filter. YUCK! Hard to believe that the dealer checked it when I took it in about 2,000 miles ago for the 15,000 mile service. I've got a K&N on my Harley, gotta get one for the M now, too, and just do frequent checks/cleaning/oiling.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I am thinking about getting new tires since mine have worn out quite a bit since 1999. The fronts are almost bald. I rotated them today to the back. The other pair is still OK.

The problem is that I will be returning this leased M in November, so I don't think it makes sense to buy new tires now. At the same time I don't want Chrysler to rape me for returning a leased car with bald tires.

Does anyone have the 16" PHP Michelin XGT V4 that are still in a decent shape for sale? My thinking is that there are some people that have replaced their stock tires with something different and now might not know what to do with them.
  • Options
    jedi_knightjedi_knight Member Posts: 89
    I ordered the 18x17.5 with a 245/45/18 Michelin pilot tire. The retail price is $385 per rim, I talked America's tire down to $345 per rim and $220 per tire.
  • Options
    bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Stopped by the dealer the other day to chat, and he told me already had an '02 in. I looked at it--only differences I could see were as follows: 1) the Chrysler scripting on the trunk was italicized and 2) the Chrysler wings in the front of the car are now mounted higher (about 6") than before and 3) I didn't look at the sticker to confirm this, but he stated that list price was $1300 lower. I'm wondering if more was done that he didn't knnow about, because this is so trivial. I asked about the Special, and he said he thought it would come in about November, with only a modest horsepowere increase of perhaps 20 HP. Problem is, the rebates don't apply to the '02s, if anyone is shopping.
  • Options
    not for me. im waiting for hte HEMI. i guarentee ill be the first person here with one. assuming i like it once everyting is decided and i can actually see it in person
  • Options
    If that no-haggle price of 29,999 is legit and there isn't a rebate in place, the dealer is making only about $200 on that car. I got Big Red for about $300 over net dealer cost and it took me two days to beat them into that price. Nice price on that '02 if anyone is in the market now for one. However, you can probaly save yourself $1,500 - $2,000 by getting an '01
  • Options
    The "Pilots" are Michelin Pilot MXMs (stock on the PHG '01s) http://www.michelin-us.com/us/eng/tire/pilot/mxm.htm or XGT V4 or Z4s http://www.michelin-us.com/us/eng/tire/pilot/z4.htm

Nice tires.

• Options
    WHOA! did u say 18x 17.5???

17.5!!!!

holy #$@#!!!!
  • Options
    cuz that tint is cheap as hell. it peels, it fades, its scratches, and it doesnt knock out UV rays like llumar tint, so you still feel the heat. trust me i got it done all around the surburban. cuz u can see out that thing with regular tint at nigth due to cabin length.
  • Options
    sheesh! i payed 25 a window, 45 for back, and 20 for front strip, $165, normally you don't get the strip so its just $145. damn thats a tough price mike. are all places in cali that high ?
  • Options
    There are places that will do it for $99 under an umbrella in a parking lot, but no way am I going to do that to my M. I got a price of $175 at one place I checked with 3M tint, but I went with a place that uses a clean room and has a lifetime warranty on tint and labor.
  • Options
    that's where i've bought my last three DC products, i can go in and get a new car faster than i can get a McDonalds hamburger in this city :) and no salesman blowing smoke in your face!
  • Options
    I certainly hope that 18x17.5 is a typo. I had enough worries with getting the 20x8.5 to fit. If that isn't a typo, I'd love to know what parts of the engine you had to take out to get them to fit ... haha. =)

I know it's a typo, I'm just giving you a hard time. =)

http://memebers.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• Options
    since they replaced my climate control head, system doesnt seem to work correctly. When in auto mode, the snowflake stays on no matter what temp I have it set for . Even if its 75 outside and I set it to 80 the snowflake is still showing. Also outside temp indicator on overhead console is about 5 degrees higher than actual temp. Could you guys check yours to see if that snowflake shows when climate control to automatic position, expecially even when control is set to higher than outside temp.
  • Options
    does anyone know the actual time it takes for this car to go 0-60? stock
  • Options
  • Options
    ill check that sometime today for ya bud...
  • Options
    thanks man! ur sure about that right?

man that sounds mighty slow...
  • Options
    Some comments on recent posts:

1) Big Red is the best looking 'M I've seen. And that's saying a lot.

2) 300M is best looking car until you get to an 80K Jag XKR. I'd rate it even with a 45K MB CLK.

3) If I was getting window tint, I wouldn't worry about the price difference between 100-200, but would be more concerned with the quality of the job done. If the guy did a great job without creasing the tint, it was well worth the $, IMO.

4) Ruski, have you tried the 300M owners club, Ebay, or maybe even Yahoo Classifieds in your quest for tires? Also, I think if you ask your dealer what he plans to charge you if you don't replace them, he will probably tell you, in case you want to know. Hopefully he'll only molest you, and not outright rape you. But I wouldn't count on it ;] Many dealers are into rape.
  • Options
    I plan to get a new car in '02, and am strongly considering the upcoming Altima. With aluminum hood, trunk, suspension, etc., it weighs hundreds less than the M. I'm not saying one car is better than the other, they both have their own strong points, but I was wondering what you other near-luxury riders, like myself, thought of the Alti. For info, check out www.freshalloy.com . The only complaint I have so far is that the interior looks kind of cheap, no match for the 300M, and some of the Nissan dealers are supposedly pretty bad. But it has a huge interior and I'm a big person so I like that. Will I be degrading myself if I buy it?