Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The NE manage Eric has been less than helpful to me. Don't take it as evidence of no solution because he wasn't able to provide help.
  • reegerreeger Member Posts: 11
    Thanks sbcooke,

I am going to replace the rear shocks and basically disconnect the rear actuator and see what happens. If it goes nuts, I will re-install the rear shocks and take back to dealer if there are any warning lights turned on the dash.
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    seem like a good idea conceptually, but unfortunately it seems Isuzu didn't quite tune the ride well enough with the computer. That is too bad since all of the hardware is there and it is just a matter of the computer firmware or software.

I saw an add for a new Volvo yesterday (forget what model), they will be offering a ISC type suspension as well. Their's will have three settings: comfort, sport, and advanced (whatever that means). I believe I read that it can adjust up to 300 times a second, I forget what our axioms are capable of.

Other than the quirky ride at times, I believe the Axiom is a great vehicle and I do enjoy driving it every time I start the engine.
    I just ordered a set of Gabriel VST's at the local Discount Strauss, $135. Since there was no specific application for the Axiom, based on the advise of Calmini performance in Cali, I asked for premium rear shocks for a 2001 Rodeo. I am going to install them tonight and will get back to you all tomorrow. Hopefully, with some good news!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup Eric is useless. I had the same problem when I tried to get my wiper arms replaced due to corrosion on both mine and my buddy's both produced in the same month... You think it might have to do with a bad batch of paint, but Eric said, sorry can't help you it's past the 12/12

-mike
  • tig2002tig2002 Member Posts: 81
    I am about to install a trailer hitch on my Axiom. Wanted to order the original one from a dealer, but it is on back order and it will take at least two weeks to get it (I need it sooner). The dealer recommended to install an aftermarket hitch if I cannot wait that long and suggested U-Haul as the first choice after the original Isuzu hitch. I called U-Haul and found out that their hitch for Axiom is less expensive ($235 installed with accessories and wiring) and the quality is same (if not better) as the original one. FYI, the original Isuzu hitch itself (with wiring but w/o accessories is $273). Plus, U-Haul offers a lifetime warranty, and even if the car gets in an accident, they will replace the damaged hitch for free after the car gets repaired. Does anyone have experience with U-Haul trailer hitch and its accessories?

P.S. One comment to the owners of Axiom who think that the Axiom is nothing more than just a truck: if you think that the Axiom is a truck because it's a frame based SUV, then what do you call a true SUV? Lexus RX3x0, Toyota RAV4? As far as I know these vehicles called "car based SUV's" while the SUV's built on a frame called frame based SUV's? If this is the case, what is the description of a truck, and what is a description of an SUV? And if the Axiom is nothing more than truck, what makes it worse than Blazer, Explorer, Montero ot Xterra?
  • csangercsanger Member Posts: 12
    I took my Ax to a local 4X4 shop today with a 30 plus years of good service reputation to have the suspension checked for any damage etc...

We found no apparent external damage but did find the right rear shock was leaking. Apparently the dealership didn't even do a visual inspection when they had the car to check over. I don't think this is creating my problems but gives an example of their attitude about really even trying.

As far as other shocks go we measured the length and probably rancho's will fit as their dampening works regardless of how compressed the shock is. They aren't sure about issues regarding unhooking the Intel. Susp.- if or how it could be incorporated into other components of the vehicle such as anti lock brakes or engine computer (in one article Isuzu says suspension takes into account throttle position etc.)

Again I've driven one where the suspension worked properly and ride quality was better than I expected. With a leaking shock at less than 2000 miles and 3 weeks old I will bet they have other issues they don't want to cover. Too bad because I believe the ride quality is the biggest reason they haven't attained the sales they projected.
    Just to report. I didn't change the shocks yet, Strauss' warehouse delivered the wrong shocks. But what I did do was pull the relay fuse for the active ride. It made a world of difference. No-longer does the computer try to adjust the shocks, but the shocks are now doing there own job. Mind you it still rides like a truck, but what is gone is the constant jitteriness feeling in your seat bottom while cruising along, and the uncontrollable rebound. At first the suspension was very soft as if in comfort mode, but after driving it for about an hour it became firm like the sport mode. No lights blinking on the dash either. You can locate the relay under the hood right next to the large fuse box, there is a smaller fuse box right next to the large one that houses only 2 fuses. Remove the "Active ride" fuse (its peach/pink in color). It rides like my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee used to. Also, make sure to have the recommended tire pressure of 26 PSI, I had 29 and the ride was harsh until I dropped it. I have read these shocks are on the cheap side, I intend to replace them with Bilstein's in the next couple of months. But what a difference it made. It now really rides like a truck should (still has some shakes over the rough stuff), but is so much more tolerable. I may actually enjoy taking it on long rides now.
    It is too bad the best way to utilize the computer controlled suspension is to disable it. :(

I put OME shocks from ARB on my Trooper and they are great. Another brand to consider. www.arbusa.com
    I think the "hose" you are talking about on the rear shocks is a plastic covering for a group of wires that lead into each rear shock.

Yesterday during inspection we discovered 7 wires running into the top of the rear shock covered by this plastic. It appears the rear shocks have the actuators built inside the top of the shock itself and the wires run to a yolk towards the middle of the vehicle. My guess is that the rears aren't as sophisticated as the front.

Thanks for the info. on disconnecting ISC please keep us posted on your experience with the fuse out.

I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB per owners manual and go through arbitration since they didn't even inspect or replace the leaking shock. Anyone been through this before?
    Dealers suck, that is how it is. All dealers are bad like that, yeah you can go after the dealers but what is it gonna get you besides more headaches? My best suggestion? Try a different dealer, I've had to do that, eventually found a good honest dealer.

-mike
  • sowrsowr Member Posts: 69
    Upon reading Reegers post about removing the Active Ride Fuse I immediately stepped out, removed the fuse and drove my work route. I know every bump of this route, and also the reaction of the Ax to the bumps.

It is different without the fuse. The Ax seems more predictable. A less confusing ride, it responds to the bumps as one would expect. Sure, it's still a trucky ride, but seems to me somewhere between 'sport' and 'comfort'. It might be my imagination, but I got a sense of how awesome the Ax could be with a nicely tuned set of shocks. Needless to say the suspension mode switch is inoperative.

Two more things; no warning lights came on and I would really like to see more drivers pull this fuse and post their impressions. It would be very interesting.

I'm leaving the fuse out for a while.
    It seems ridiculous to me that we have to resort to disabling a system or pay for after market shocks when we have vehicles under warranty.

Don't think the Ax is supposed to have a ride that shakes when it shouldn't etc.. remember I've driven one when the ISC worked and it rode well.

Being able to disable the computer and have some negative ride qualities disappear should be a definite test to show the dealers that the system isn't functioning properly.

Again, I believe Isuzu is aware of the problem and doesn't want to fix it. This is crap, that's one of the reasons I bought a new vehicle was to be covered by a warranty to repair malfunctioning items.

One of my friends suggested contacting the Natl. Hwy. Traffic Safety Admin, he said any safety related complaints looked into by them would have to be answered by Isuzu. An improperly functioning suspension is definitely a safety related issue.

I think ideas like these (there is a lemon law book out I might purchase) and others, if worked on by a group might force Isuzu to be honest and address this problem.

It's a pain and I'm tempted to just pay the money for other shocks and lose the ISC (I don't want to lose the sport setting though) and move on with.
    Here's an interesting article I just ran across.

http://www.monroe.com/about_monroe/press_detail.asp?prevpage=am_d- - efault.asp&KEY=10

Article covers safety issues with even one shock not performing properly.
    Csanger, I don't believe that my Ax is broken, I have had the truck for 2 and a half years and it's been a blast, especially off-road in the desert and mountains. I think that Isuzu have done a pretty good job of balancing performance and ride and a 5 link axle. I suspect that my Ax rides like your good test case.

Your Ax, however, may be broken.

Being an engineer by profession and therefore scientifically analytical, I merely removed the active ride fuse and recorded my initial impressions after performing a test. I do believe that the ISC is a gimmick, and that the algorithm is currently written to perform at the extreme ends of the ride settings of Sport and Comfort. This seems wise, no point in having 2 settings in the mid-range. Quite frankly, it's possible that my impressions are based upon an emotional reaction. This is why, in an earlier post I made a note about wanting to see quantative measurements and in my last post qathering data to support or discredit my observations.
    Isuzu may be aware of it, but I don't think there is much interest in their personal vehicle line right now. I have seen some comercials for the Rodeo lately, but there isn't much to them. Expecting them to redesign, research fixes or much else is a stretch. Hopefully they will decide to revitalize their SUV line again and maybe the AX will get a fix and someday maybe even new trucks.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I have recently read in Consumer Reports new car&truck guide that Isuzu will upgrade Axiom's engine by installing direct injection, which will boost power by 20hp to 250 without sacrificing fuel economy. Not that I ever lacked power in my Axiom, but additional ponies are always welcome under the hood.
    It will get better milage and more HP.

-mike
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    I pulled my fuse and I think I noticed a slight difference

I tried to reason through this and here's what I came up with...someone who understands the mechanics of this better, please advise...

The way I see it, with the fuse pulled, the shocks will either default to the softest or harshest setting OR stay in the baseline mode of whatever setting they were in when you removed the fuse. I think the latter has to be the case.

If the computer controls the shocks, adjusting the ride as you move, then if you pull the fuse before you start the car, wouldn't the shocks just stay in the setting they were in the last time you drove it (the rested/parked sport or comfort setting)?

So if you were in comfort mode the shocks would stay in the baseline comfort mode once the fuse was pulled. Now, this could alter the ride in that there would be no computer adjustments as you move (these adjustments may be the reason for the sometimes jittery ride people have commented about).

I need to do a test...set the Ax in sport mode...drive it...park it and then remove the fuse and then drive it again...just to see if it stays in what would be baseline sport mode.

If anybody has done this...let me know...also, let me know what you think of this reasoning...
    I think your reasoning is accurate. I would suggest that if pulling the fuse is the best answer for someone, then replacing the shocks altogether with a specific performance in mind would be the best solution.
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I pulled the fuse while in Sport Mode. It seemed that the ride was very similar to sport mode, but maybe a little more predictable. On the bigger bumps it felt smoother with a more controlled rebound, but on the smaller bumps it seemed just like sport. I will drive around like this for a couple days.

I agree with Sbcooke, probably a set of good shocks would make a world of difference. Hopefully by pulling that fuse the ISC light will stay off when replacing the shocks.
    It seems to me that once the ‘Active Ride’ fuse has been pulled the shocks seem to default to a central position, my Ax seems to ride a little harsher on the freeway as opposed to comfort, and a little smoother on city streets as opposed to sport. Somewhere in the middle seems to me to be an accurate description of how the Ax feels without Active Ride.

I don't think for one minute that the ride defaults to the last ISC setting. I think it defaults to a mid setting.

I agree that some nice aftermarket shocks would probably remedy the ISC situation, although don’t expect a sedan like feel, probably less jitteryness, more control and a slightly less bumpy ride.

Any recommendations for shocks?
    I pulled the fuse last night and drove for about 15 miles. The suspension defaults to "ignition off" mode, meaning that there is no input from ISC. The suspension becomes very soft, just try to depress it by pushing down on the body of the truck. The ride is slightly better in terms of absorbing holes and cracks in the road, but it is really bouncy. When braking, the body leans forward quite seriously. I put the fuse back in and prefer it in the comfort mode.

One very frequent visitor of this forum once said (when I first complained about the jittery ride) that Axiom is a truck and if I wanted a Soccer Mom Vehicle, I should have gotten a Highlander. I have one question. What is wrong with a smooth riding truck? Although I love my Axiom, especially its looks, unfortunately I do not predict bright future for Isuzu in US. Competition is just too tough out there to allow for unrefined suspension, poor choice of interior appointments and options and a hefty price on top of it.
    Well my comments are because you really can't get a car-ride from a truck. It's just the physics of it. If you want a truck that can haul and tow and offroad, it's not gonna ride like a caddy.

Let me correct myself....

You can get one that rides like a caddy and can haul, etc, but not at the mid-$20K range. If you look at the $50K+ range sure you can get all kinds of funky suspensions and still tow, but that's a different class of vehicles.

Perhaps you would have been happier with a car-based vehicle that gives you that nice cushy ride you want? Why did you choose a truck v. car based vehicle? That's the question you gotta ask yourself. Heck car based ones will also get better milage as well.

-mike
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    The ride comment by Mike is true. We rented a 300M and also drove our Rodeo ~700 miles last week for vacation. The 300M drove and rode like a dream. At every rest stop we were all fighting about who was going to get to ride in the 300M. Of course in 3 years the panels will be rattling and falling off of the Chrysler! Isuzus are good off road and for around town, but forget about the comfy, refined ride, especially on a long trip!

I also have to agree that the Axiom ride could have been improved with a better shock system. I suspect they went to production with what they had and now they don't have the $ to update it. Too bad. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot at every turn these days...

john
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    amigojohm, you have a lot to learn about the 300M model.
    I've been using your website for a while and I LOVE it. It has great links and pictures.
    What I said about the ride not defaulting to its last setting upon removal of the fuse. I pulled the fuse with the switch in comfort mode and the ride was horrible. Very soft and bouncy, so obviously the ISC does work, it maintains a soft ride but is not so bouncy. Pulling the fuse after switching to sport mode creates a ride that is not so harsh as the sport mode, but not like the comfort mode. That's my last word on it.

Maybe I'll fit some aftermarket shocks and see how my Ax rides, if I don't like it I'll put the OEM shocks back in and reconnect the ISC.
    True, my only experience is renting one, but I have several friends with Intrepids and LHS models. They are a mixed bag. Some hold up well and some don't...

The 300M I rented had hundreds of tiny paint bubbles on the passenger side door post and this ride was brand new. The interior trim is not refined. Heck, you can see the door paint while sitting in the cabin with the door shut. I am a former Chrysler employee so I know a little about their cars. I wrote software for them.

john
    who has had ZERO problems with her '99. SHE LOVES the 300M. She has a beige interior with wood trim (unfortunately, since she has a model before 2002, it has the old, plastic faux and looking it wood. The 2002+ wood looks more realistic although it is faux.) The engine, transmission, room for her ten cats, folding rear seats, the huge, comfortable leather seats, and white faced gauges are her favorite features
    My aunt bought a 300M, she only had it about 10 hours and it exploded late at night just sitting in her driveway.

What's that? Oh sorry, this is the Isuzu Axiom forum.
    Amigo John was right about Isuzu using shocks that they already had. When I went to a different local dealer to have him inspect my leaking shock so he could order me a replacement, he cross checked part numbers and at least on the rear the ISC shocks are the exact same shock as on Rodeo with ISC.

I also have disconnected my fuse and back twice now and although the ride is better with it out I still have a pretty constant vibration in the floorboard and seat. The ISC in my case is probably not the problem but is reacting to possibly another faulty shock or ?

I replaced my tires with Michelin Cross Terrain's (Goodyears had radial runout) and they do absorb road irregularities better but again don't solve original shakey problem.

After the dealer installs new right rear shock they will try to diagnose problem. I'll keep you posted.

250 horsepower? Sounds great. It's too bad about the ride quality as I think the Ax is a great vehicle and with even more power is very competitive in the class. It doesn't even make it into most comparison tests any more.
    The Axiom is a great vehicle and would've been a good seller if Isuzu had put more time (and $) into refining it instead of just marking the price down like day old doughnuts.

Funny how the Rodeo outsells it, even though with similar options, a Rodeo costs about the same.
    Well, I'm all over the map on this, after removing the active ride fuse I became convinced that my Ax rode better. I now have the fuse back in and I am convinced that the ISC works quite well at damping the shocks and smoothing out the ride.

On another note I fitted an after-market rear spoiler/wing a few weeks ago and am now convinced that my gas mileage has increased. On my drive into work, 10 miles freeway and street mixed, I used to average 22.5 mpg. I now average 23.8 mpg.
    What kind of calculations are you using...holy smokes that is great for any SUV. I am jealous since I am getting 13-17 in my trooper (on good days).
    OMG. I didn't realize spoilers had anything to do with gas mileage; I thought they were simply for looks. Do u happen to have a picture of yours or another Axiom with a spoiler?
    As far as the mileage is concerned I'm a fairly reserved driver, for example I don't do 85 mph on the way to work, I do 65 mph. In general, I don't thrash the engine, not that I'm suggesting anyone else does. Although I am in 'Power' but not in TOD.

I'm not sure about the spoiler making a difference, it's the only thing I've changed 'performance' wise.

Here is where I bought the spoiler:

http://www.customautotrim.com/spoilers/isuzu_wings.htm

And here are some pics of one installed (not mine), (thanks to Deton8r):

http://home.earthlink.net/~deton8r/index3.htm
    23.8 mpg? Wow, I can only get that if I am cruising at 55 mph on a declining smooth road. I can get about 18 mpg going 85 mph. In the city - forget it - only about 12.5 mpg.

Did anyone take their vibrating brakes in for service?
    We drive 75 % city and 25% highway and we have averaged about 14.5 over the last 2K miles...that was using mixed power modes and generally using the cruise control (at about 70) on highways...

I think we might get 17-18 if the percentages were reversed...

SOWR...so you could basically drive to and from work (if that's the only place you drove it) for a whole month on ONE tank of gas? Wow, that's great...
    There is absolutely no way anyone could get 23.8mpg for a month in 10-mile increments. You may be getting great mileage if you are cruising but what kills it are cold starts. My commute to the train station is 2.5 miles in moderate to heavy traffic. If I didn't drive my Axiom anywhere other than that train station, I would be getting about 9 mpg.
    Couldn't stand the way that thing road. I like to drive fast and I just did not feel safe with the ride, it's too bad because I really like the Axiom, I took it back to the dealer, they were nice enough to buy it back (took a 3K loss on it), and bought a 2002 GMC Envoy which is based on on a ladder frame (i.e. truck frame just like the Axiom). I paid 25K for it and it rides like a dream. Oh, BTW it tows more than the Axiom, has more room, more power, gets better mileage and I am sure it will knock the socks off the Axiom off-road too. And the insurance was cheaper, that should make up the 3K over the next 60 months. I really wanted to stick it out with the Axiom, but I just couldn't handle the horrible ride. And it seemed to get worse.
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    Took my Ax in for the brake vibration and they ended up replacing both front rotors for excessive wear (and I am very gentle on brakes). Plus they put on a softer pad because I have brake dust everywhere on the front wheels now.
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    On the highway, over the past weekend, I averaged 22.4 mpg at 73mph. This was on the turnpike with a lot of uphill and downhill portions. I would imagine if it was all flat and smooth, I could get a little higher mileage.
    I am sorry to hear that you got rid of your Axiom, but I can perfectly understand that the ride did not inspire fast and strong road handling manners. Can you tell us how much the dealer gave you for your Ax and how many miles you had on the vehicle? If someone bought the Ax for off-road use or towing, that may make more sense for them, but if you have always been a car driver used to controlled and non-jittery ride, then Axiom is not for you. I bought my Axiom for looks (I have never been off-road), but quite often use the space to transport bicycles and model airplanes. I will probably trade it in for a Mazda6 Wagon (when it comes out) or other car-based SUV.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I know last year, isuzu had 7000$ in discounts for the axiom. Does anyone think they will do that again? I am test driving one next week but most likely will not buy till August or September (or October if worthwhile) and want to know if it will be worth the wait.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Dennis P.
    You probably did the right thing if you didn't like the Ax ride. However, the Envoy did not do well in off-road tests, so I'm thinking that your remark about the Envoy knocking the Ax's socks off when in the dirt is probably incorrect. After all the Ax rated higher than the GM product in a not-so-recent 4x4 slug fest. In fact if I remember correctly the Ax came in 3rd behind the Jeep Cherokee and Liberty. Not bad for a so-called cross-over.

Please remember that no matter what SUV you are driving at high speed, if you get a problem (blow out, debris, unexpected lane change, etc.) good luck surviving. I was driving to work a few months back in my Ax, and, like you I had concerns about it high speed capabilities, someone in front cut me off and I swerved to avoid. The Ax performed very well, in fact I remember thinking "wow, that was pretty cool".
  • malsuamalsua Member Posts: 17
    Got my 2002 AX 9k off 31,500 Sticker(Leather, 4x4, all the options cept moon roof). Drove it 100 Miles, "Check Trans" light came on. Dealer ended up replacing the transmission with a new one.

Have now been driving it for 1500 miles. Back end is a bit bouncy for a truck. I've had other SUVs for 17 years now, this one is the most car like I've had. However, this one handles way way better than any other I've ever had. If anyone doubts how well this SUV handles on the road, test drive a pre 95 SUV(Full frame vehicle no unibody cars) and get back to me. In sport mode, Power Transmission mode, it handles like a full size sedan or better. It's got plenty of power and corners really well for a truck.

It's not a sport car, but who expects a full frame vehicle to do that? It's a truck and it handles like a large car. It's suprising how well it handles. I've driven plenty of vehicles, including s500 Mercedes and full size LTDs and Caprices. This one handles as well or better.

The ride is still a truck ride. I've been driving trucks and SUVs for years, this is far and away the best riding vehicle I've ever driven in that isn't a car. Yes, the back end bounces a bit in comfort mode. Golly gee, it's the end of the world. My 1986 Bronco II bounced so much at high speed I felt like death was imminent at more times that I could count.

It could use some work but by and large, this vehicle is a solid piece of work. The interior is nice, it handles well and it's much less subject to wind than my 1990 Jimmy. If you need a car with 4x4 get a Subaru. If you need a truck that will handle close on to what a German sport Sedan will do, this isn't to far off.

If you're going to TOW, why are you not getting a Suburban, Yukon or a big ole pickup truck designed for the job. An Ax will do well for small towing...but 5k+ boat(I.e. salt water 20+) pay the 10k premium and get your 35k+ vehicle designed for the job. Towing a "lake" 18' boat, the Ax can handle it without issue.

It's a decent vehicle and Isuzus will go a long time. Just don't expect to get a ride like a Maxima, with power like a Corvette and towning like a Suburban.
    Malsua - I think your comments are right on target.

When in sport mode, the Ax handles very well, even at high speeds (I have been in triple digits on the highway and never felt like the vehicle was out of control).

I also agree that the comfort mode can be just a little too bouncy...especially at slower speeds, but I never thought it was as bad as some have mentioned.

I guess something to consider, personal differences of opinion aside, it seems like there are some consistency issues with the Ax. It sounds like some folks have good reliable vehicles while others have been unlucky enough to get a quirky Ax. Unfortunately, more often than not, the problems seem to stem from the ISC.

Even though I am pleased with my Ax, I am always looking to improve it...so if anybody determines a good combo of tires and shocks (aside from the GY Integrity and the ISC delivered with the car) I'd be interested in hearing about how it has positively affected the ride.
  • robert122robert122 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my ax.for almost 4 months a left over 2002 I have about 5800 miles and for the money and features Ilove it I to have noticed the ride can change from one week to another one day I thought the ride was more harsher than usual took it in they told me the shocks in the rear were leaking waiting for the new ones to come in overall i love it can not understand why more are not sold get a lot of stares and I traded a jeep liberty for my ax 4x4.
    Perhaps it's the lack of advertising. I remember the Vehicross ad from years ago, it was very cool, Isuzu need an ad like that for the Ax.

I'm not sure why people are choosing the Liberty, it sure is a goofy mickey mouse looking thing and has no room.