Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• thebandleaderthebandleader Member Posts: 53
    I can't wait to see an actual road test.
    Either the latest R&T or the latest C&D (I just read both last night) had an artist's conception of the x-type R prototype (R being the high performance version due in about a year). It is rumored to have over 30 bhp. Cool, eh?
    300bhp
    (I hope it has over 30bhp...)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    My lawnmower almost has 30 HP, will that suffice for a road test beside the x-type? (LOL) :):)
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, maybe I'll just settle for the x-type...

LOL
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The dealer in Ft. Worth said they would get two in May for demo, and a shipment for sale in August. The rep I talked to said they would sell for sticker and not above. Only time will tell.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I just went out to start my John Deere lawnmower, and the battery is dead...will you grant me a continuance for the competition until I obtain a new battery?
    Certainly.

Continuance granted.

Actually I just bought my dad a Craftsman. I just guess I'll have to borrow it back for the event... LOL
  • jbwcfpjbwcfp Member Posts: 86
    Check out the www.jag-lovers.com web site, there are 90 new pictures of the car. Also watch for AutoWeek in may for a test drive.
    Jim W
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Do you think the X-type will be more, equal, or less performance capable than your '88 TC T-bird automatic? (Just kidding. It will be far more capable, just like all LSs should, too. Couldn't resist after what you posted elsewhere. :))
    ... to see one in person.
    If you have access, check out the March 2001 issue of CAR magazine, a British publication. Has a large article and lots of great photos on X-type. I find this magazine on rack at Borders or Barnes & Noble mega-bookstores.
    I have heard that the X-type will have it's US introduction at the NY show next week. I hope they release complete pricing then.
    Jim
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    complete pricing in supposedly not scheduled for release untill May or June when the test drive cars get here.
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Mike, are you guys getting an "X" in June to test drive? I'd be willing to drive to Allentown to drive it as it has the potential to be a fine car. I'd like 0-60 to be at 8 seconds or a little less with the awd capability. What is your best guess as to the warranty - 4/50? Now, if we could only get a little better frequency of repair on the Jags we'd be is good shape.
    Yes, we will have one 2.5 and one 3.0. Same 4year/50,000mile warrenty as all other Jags, same free maintenance, same valet pick up and drop off for service visits.
    Hi,

Would you let us know what you do? It sounds interesting. Do you work at a Jaguar business?

Thanks!

--Paul
    I finally got up the guts to order an x-type. I placed my order today, dealer says it should arrive in August. I ordered 3.0SE with 5 speed manual and premium and winter packages. Also added premium Alpine with CD.
    Jim W
    Yes, I am a servant of the dark side ;). I sell Jag, Infiniti, and high end used vehicles. I also in my spare time try to keep people updated on the newest developments in the world of Jaguar and Infiniti
    Margo:
    Cool. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    JBW:
    Congratulations! ...you lucky devil...
  • speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    In the parallel X-Type discussion, there were some Americans who wanted some advance info on the X-type. I'm posting the URL to the British site (BTW I'm an American who is living in London). I'll definitely test drive one in late May when they are available here and post my opinions on this board. Cheers...

http://www.x-type.com/index.cgi

Thanks. We'll look forward to your thoughts.
  • britpackbritpack Member Posts: 5
    Are there any indications of MSRP for the basic 3.0l yet? I am at the point of getting an Acura TL type S. I can lease this for 0 down, 12k yr 36 months for $450 per month. If I thought the 3.0 X type could be in this ballpark I might be tempted to wait.
    ps I am opposite to Speeds in that I am a Brit living in Massachusetts
    Haven't seen published MSRP data or lease prices. If you really want to lease a Jag-designed product and stay at or under $450 a month, have you thought about leasing a Lincoln LS? Essentially a Jag S-type underneath, without the wood, hood ornament, nav system, etc. goodies. LS actually a bit sportier, esp. in LS8 Sport auto or LS6 Sport 5-speed manual. Dealers in Omaha, Nebraska, area are advertising LS leases for about $399/month. Forget if that also includes a bit of down payment or not. You should drive both the LS and the TL. RWD near 50/50 weight distributed LS makes it a very fun and stable performance platform. (I have an '00 LS8 Sport, w/29K miles.)
  • mbman1mbman1 Member Posts: 35
    Sorry about that, he lives in Los Angeles, California.
    I thought I'd read that the S type is somewhat sportier than the Lincoln... Perhaps it is just more luxurious.(?) (I've never driven either... wouldn't mind though)
    Check out carpoint.com they have a listing of the std equipment and option packages for the '02 x-type. Still no prices other than base.
    Jim W
    Jag is more luxurious. LS can be either much more plebian (base LS6 automatic), a bit more plebian (LS8 non-Sport), or sporty (LS8 Sport). The LS6 manual tranny Sport model is the sportiest of 'em all.

If you want to compare S-type to LS8, check out the multi-car comparisons in 5/00 Car & Driver (LS8 Sport & Jag S-type 3.0) and 12/99 Road & Track (LS8 Sport & Jag S-type 4.0). Interestingly, LS outpointed the Jag in both tests. Jag finished 5th to LS's 3rd in R&T test. Jag finished 6th to LS's 5th in C&D test.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    My understanding is that the ride/handling balance is a bit more toward ride on the S-type vs. the LS, but not terribly so. S-type Sport is coming out soon though.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    I thought the Sport version is nothing other than a regular S-Type with all the chrome blacked out (very ugly thing to do to a car IMO).
    However, the rumor mill is suggesting that an S-Type with the XJR/XKR engine may be in the works.
  • icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    Britpack spoke earlier about looking at the TL Type S for $450 a
    month. I put a $500 deposit down on an X-Type that will likely list
    for about $36,000 to $38,000 and my best guess is that the lease
    will be over $100 a month more. A whole bunch of us on the Jagtalk
    board: http://www.Jagtalk.com have left deposits, but so far no
    one has a firm U.S. price; although some members have been given
    pricing in England, France, and Finland. We have all vowed to report to the
    Jagtalk message board as soon as anyone is given pricing.
    Steve
    The sport version of the S-type with body color trim is a seperate entity from thee eventual "R" version. Jaguar has previously stated that eventually their will bw an "R" version of all its models.
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Brit, I think you should be able to lease the the X type around $480. My business partner just turn in his Acura RL and lease the S-type 3.0 for $560 a month with 15K miles and power pkg.( I think you can lower the price to around $510 if you can live with 10K miles annual allowance)
    He enjoys the S type so much more and the service he gets is WOW! I strongly recommend you to at least wait and test drive the Jag before your final decision. I believe $30 extra per month is really money well spend. In Europe, Jaguar is just so much more prestigious than BMW, not to mention Acura. ( Well, actually there is no Acura in Europe but you get the picture.)
  • leogenghisleogenghis Member Posts: 22
    the X-type is looking awesome
    Thanks for the post Mauritius, I spoke to my local Jag dealer (Boylston, Mass) today and was told that the lease plan details should be with the dealers in a couple of weeks. The expectation was that a 3.0 without options, 36 months, 10k/yr 0 down would lease for around $500 (this is the top end of my budget) and so I am tempted to wait for this information (the Acura dealers can sweat it out). Has anyone got any information with regard to the performance details of the 3.0? I am particularly interested in the 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile and lateral g data
    I read an article saying that the 2002 X automatic 0-60 should be in the mid 7 second range.
    Jaguar claims the 3.0 manual will do 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.
    Jim W
    Jim - That would be right (6.6) for the stick as the automatic should be about a second slower (7.6) or so. Anyway, pretty fast for an all wheel drive vehicle.

Now if Jag can only bring up their quality control they could have a hit on their hands!
  • holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    I went to the NYC International Auto Show yesterday and saw this baby Jag. It's gorgeous! Available this Aug with a base price of $29,950 ($35,950 for the 3.0 trim). I think this will be a big hit -- provided the economy don't go much worse by then.
    Check out this guy's website. He lives in the UK and apparantly Autocar has a supplement about the x-type. He has scanned it into his home page.

Go to http://www.dadswell.com then select the link for "cars" and then select "X-type info"

Jim W
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - I am PR Director for Edmunds.com and often am approached by journalists looking to talk with consumers for various automotive stories. Currently, I'm helping a major newspaper find consumers who are experiencing "gadget backlash." Did you buy a vehicle filled with exciting techno-gadgets, and wish you didn't? Have you given up trying to play a CD, set the ambient temperature or use the navigation system because the controls are just too complicated? Did you drive off the lot in your new vehicle without getting a full explanation of all the toys, figuring "how hard could it be?" and are now realizing it's more confusing than you could have imagined? What experiences have you had with the Mercedes joystick and the Volvo radio, both of which feature a lot of functionality but seem less intuitive than traditional controls?
    This story will touch on the following trends:

-the gadgets in high-end vehicles from the Lexus LS 430 and Volvo S80 to Porsches and beyond

-drivers in their 40s-60s buying sports cars

-driver distraction

If you have anything to add, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your experience to Talk to the Press and/or to jfallon@edmunds.com, including your current vehicle, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. (Your identity will be protected at your request.)

Thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to share your story!

Regards,

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

jfallon@edmunds.com
    Hey Mike, I am interested in driving over to Allentown to test drive the forthcoming X. It is one of a few cars which top my list for a summer lease. Any idea when the first X will find its way to Pennsylvania?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The X-type is beautiful, but real Jaguars are RWD and use inline DOHC six cylinder engines or V8's, not AWD or FWD with Ford V6 engines. Ford was being cheap with Jaguar.
    Decided to go with the Acura TL type S for now, (3 yr/12k per year lease at 450 per month 1090 up front costs). The plan is to go for the supercharged X type when the Acura lease is up. Thanks for all the info and enjoy the Jag if you decide to buy
    X-type's will be here to drive in late May or early June. I will post when I have more Info.

ehasse please, if you don't have something useful to contribute don't bother. Jaguar has been owned by Ford for almost 15 years, and in that time it has just gotten better and better. Better quality, better style, better choices. Now I must admit that Ford took some of the fun out of owning a Jag. The darn things start every morning, they don't leak oil all over the driveway, how boring can you get. They even did a good job on the style of the X-Type. I think it looks even more like a Jag than the S-type. As well as giving some hint to the future design direction for Jaguar. No matter what people think about RWD AWD is the future of sport sedans in the US. Especially in the Northeast.
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I somewhat agree with ehasse. I love the styling of the new X, but the AWD and Ford V6's somewhat cloud the picture. My XJ is pure Jaguar. I6, RWD, some reliability problems, but all Jaguar. The new X is not. That's not a bad thing, just different. It feels like a loaded up Mondeo to me, which I know it is. Same with the S-Type- loaded up LS.~ A.R.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I never said Ford didn't do a good job with Jaguar. Ford has done a good job with every Jaguar model, except the X-type. They have improved the XJ in every way. However, Volvo is Ford's luxury FWD/AWD division. All Jaguars should be RWD. You would never see Mercedes base the C class on the FWD Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring platform. You won't see BMW base the upcoming 1 series on its FWD Mini. Ford should have allowed Jaguar to develop a small RWD platform for the X-type. Why would anyone spend over $30,000 on a fancy version of the Ford Mondeo?
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    And the question begs to be asked- why would anyone spend $40,000 on a glorified LS for the S-Type? I don't think I would. I like the styling of the LS as much as the S-Type, and they are the same car architecturally.

Ford is taking this global platform thing a little seriously, and in turn risking Jaguar's reputation. I just hope that the new XJ is not based upon Lincoln Town Car.~ A.R.