Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz M-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
edited January 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
My M/B dealer is Viti MB in Tiverton, R.I. They are a single store dealership with customers in all of New England and New York. All cars are sold at MSRP, no additional markups for hard to get vehicles. Their service is impeccable, never a hassle or any unexpected charges. No matter how you are dressed or who you are, you are treated with respect by all the employees. Their only fault is that they give Toyota Corollas for loaner cars.

Comments

• armoredveharmoredveh Member Posts: 13
    I bypassed two closer MB dealers to purchase three MBs from this dealership. It is by far the best MB dealer in the WDC area and I can't speak highly enough for it's superior customer service. It starts with sales (Gregg Eisenber) and ends with Peter Gregori in service. These people know how to take care of their customers...tell them Bill Shaw sent you. :-)
  • ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    SilverStar or Helms Brother... which is better?
  • osultanosultan Member Posts: 9
    I use MB of Pleasanton and am very happy with them. Their parts guy, JR, is a wealth of knowledge.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Anyone have any service experience from this dealership? What loaners do they provide?
    On the Big MB list last year, a poster had taken his W140 (I think) into ASC for some service work and an oil change. After reviewing the invoice, he discovered that ASC had added Slick 50 to the oil without his permission and charged him an exhorbitant fee. The engineers on the list told him not to drive the car one foot further (because of the potential harm Slick 50 can do to an engine I guess) and have the dealer flat-bed the car back to the dealership to flush the Slick 50 out...one responder even recommended that the dealer should overhaul the entire.

In any event, I have avoild ASC for this and other reasons posted to that list. I live closer to ASC and HBL but go to EuroMotorcars because of it's reputation and extremely high level of customer service. YMMV.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I am in the market for a ML. Does anyone have sales and service experience (and tips) with MB dealerships in Northern New Jersey? Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    I'm talking about the Service Advisor, he is very helpul and knowledgable about his proffesion.... his name is Richard. The only down fall was their loaner car I always get a compact car like chevy cavalier, mazda protoge. But they said that they are giving ML320 as a loaner car, I ask them where is it...They say is all gone..what a bummer.
    Thanks for the advice. On another note, what kind of loaners do they provide? Do they use enterprise like ASC and HBL? I used to bring my Disco to HBL since I work in that area and a lot of times the loaners are in really bad shape and very small, even when you request a bigger one, if they don't have any left, you're tied with what they have. I don't really mind driving a small car if I don't have to bring my kids with me.
    It is my understanding that Euro uses MB loaners if you're lucky enough to be one of the first to get there in the AM. After that, they use brand new Enterprise loaners. I've never ever had a "beater" car as a loaner and I've arrived as late as 11am to drop a car off. On Mon and Tues, they send out as many as 75 cars. So schedule an appointment on Wed or Thur if possible when the service workload is lighter.

I also understand that Euro is one of the top five MB dealers in the US...so they can not afford to send out beaters as loaners.

I do not work for them, but am a very happy customer. Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for all the info. I will definitely schedule my first service with them.
  • michaelp5michaelp5 Member Posts: 1
    Those boys in Alabama still have a ways to go. I have a ML320.
    1. First Day home it wouldn't start, had to be towed back to the dealer! Bad starter.

2. GPS didn't work--and, yes, we followed the directions..i.e. driving around.

3. Cup holder fell out in open position. Had to order a new one.

4. Window had adhesive that continuously brought glue to the surface.

5. Dash vent for Heat and Air came unsnapped and had to be replaced.

6. Foot panel on passenger side is falling off.

These are the manufacturing problems that we have endured.

As for the engineering problems, the dealer states that the "vehicle has an inherent problem
    of idling too fast. Don't dare take your foot off the brake for a second when stopped.

After noticing the transmission slipping much more than any other vehicle we've ever owned, dealership told us that it always happens when cold.

Cabin heat cannot be adjusted for comfortable climate for all occupants (east coast climate)

Major problem with telephone technology. We paid 2200 dollars for a phone that's incompatible with most used services today. I was told, "too bad" you paid for a phone that works, you got a phone that works! Mercedes admitted that they slipped up on that technology and let it get ahead of them.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    We bought our new C at this dealer, we did get a new 01 ML loaner, but when we got it there was only 1 left. I was told they have 80ML loaners, if you go in on a Sunday you'll see them. Some are out long term, some 2-5 days or even weeks. There seems to be about 30 for the 1 day appointments. You need an early appointment to get one, 8:30 at the latest, if you want one I'd make a 7:30 appt. Who was your saleman? Ours was Ron and we were very satisfied with his services. In the service area we've delt with coulette, she's a bit condescending, I'll ask for Richard next time!
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Hi! Bill,
    Can you believe that I didn't buy my ML from this dealer and they treated me nice, The reason why was, when I was shopping around for my ML I test drove one from them and started talking about the price of the vehicle, they are insisting that they can't give me the ML below MSRP I tried to negotiate because I knew exactly how much is the invoice price of the vehicle and the option I wanted. The bottom line we didn't make a deal.So I tried the internet buying experience and its really works with the help of this site EDMUNDS.com. In short I got mine at MB Laguna Niguel we just willing and dealing thru email and we got a deal they even pick me up from Chula Vista where I live to thier place and gave me 20% off of all accessory I bought that night. Plus I have a one free full detail every year.It's just a little too far from us here, but maybe if I have a long day off I can take it to them. Anyway, Try Richard next time. Are you going to 2nd SO CAL Run?. I'm thingking about it.. I went last year. Have a nice day..
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I'm hoping to go on the fun run! It all depends on where it is, if it starts in the Malibu area I doubt it, it would be 200 miles just to get there. If it starts in the Orange county area then I hope to go, I only wish it was a similar route to last time!!! I suggested a Temecula Start, but I guess that was too similar to the last one.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I just completed a Schedule A service at this place. They did a pretty good job and even
    replaced the blower motor which was some-times making a hardly noticable rattle. (under warranty). However, when I mentioned the updates to the latches and stuff like that, he brushed
    me away and said that Mercedez-Benz would contact me about any upates. I didn't push the issue too much.

Tony
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Initially when I bought the car, I emailed a few ML owners in NJ and a lot of them did recommend Ray Catena. I didn't use them cause, they didn't offer a loaner car as I didnt' buy my car from them. If you live nearby and dont' mind taking a cab back, you can try them.
  • mtsangmtsang Member Posts: 70
    I have been getting my MB service at Globe MB in Fairfield NJ. They use to provide loaner even for the $50 oil change. They've cut back. Now they will give loaner only for "major" maintenance work.

I will check out Ray Catena for my next MB. Thanks for your feedback.
  • ml320hugomnjml320hugomnj Member Posts: 9
    I bought my ML from Millenium in Bridgewater. If it is moderately convenient for you, I would use them. My sales rep was Dale, who came from Ray Catena before. I had what seemed to be trouble initializing the Tele-aid; after insisting it was a verizon/AT&T problem I took it in, got a C230 loaner and picked it up with MB insisting it was a carrier problem in the area; 2 days later I was in Pennsylvania, tried and was able to set the Tele-aid, so Milenium was right, the problem was not MB nor the dealer, but Verizon/AT&T. Have not been back to the dealer since (2k Mi.).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    diwc240 "MB C-Class Owners: Meet the Members" Feb 28, 2001 5:33am

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • lsl1207lsl1207 Member Posts: 6
    At 26K so far I've needed new brakes (10K) , New Navigation system (25K), and a new transmission (26K). Next time I'll buy Japanese. Also, Autohaus MB in Pompano , Florida is the worst dealership I've ever dealt with. They can't fix the cars on the first visit and they're not very nice to service customers.
  • fried13fried13 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone have any comments about Benson Motors in Annapolis, MD? Just 60 days into ownership of a ML430 and looking to move my (personal) fleet to MB. All and any comments would be appreciated.

Fried
  • primitiveprimitive Member Posts: 20
    InterCar MB in Newton. Friendly, knowledgable, fast. Smooth experience with my first repair.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    was overly cooperative during FSS A service (13k miles). Had a lot of little things done; A service, sunroof was getting covered with grease, alignment, activate fog lights, brakes squealed, A/C wasn't cooling, class three hitch installed.

Loaner was Chevy Cavileer through Alamo at dealer. I upgraded (sort of) to a Grand Prix for $10. The Pontiac had just been recovered from a theft, but was in excellent condition. I think dealers want you to appreciate what you have, as I hated this car!

I wasn't going to have MB install the hitch, but when i started checking, no one was comfortable with removing rear bumper skin. $285 for parts, $219 for labor!!!! Yikes, double what I paid on our last truck for a Draw Tight class III, but cheaper than fighting with some shop to get the bumper skin repainted or replaced after they destroyed it.

BUT, A/C problem ended up being major and required car to stay for five days! (dropped off Thursday, picked up Monday). New parts had to be flown in from factory, then a wiring harness was pinched and caused balance of electrical system to fail! When I went to my service advisor (Farrel Gerber) to ask MB to pick up the $50 for rental upgrade he said he'd just deduct something from the bill, and boy did he. Total bill was $326.48!!!! Hitch was on MB! I paid for labor ($219) and alignment ($89) plus tax. That was it!!!

This great experience was only marred by a less than stellar cleaning job (car was spotless when dropped off, all they did was run a chamios over the car and park it under a tree with some eager birds in it, and arriving home to find that remote locks/alarm won't work with keys due to electrical system being disconnected for so long. I just need to run car by and have them reprogram alarm/keys which i've been promised is a five minute proceedure.

All in all what could have been a catastrophie was turned into a wonderful expereince, solidifying my relationship with the dealer. I will be back for service and to get an ML500.
  • bombetsbombets Member Posts: 2
    Hi ... I just wanted to let everybody know how great this dealership is. For the past year I have been bringing my 2000 ML 320 to this dealership for regular service and also those unscheduled visits to fix minor annoyances. They have always treated me well and their work is excellent. Occasionally they would send me surveys to fill out and in return I get free goodies like key chains and for the last survey I did I got a free detailing job worth $149.00 and to top it all they provided me with a E-320 as a loaner while they were detailing my car. All these pampering and I didn't even buy my car from them. So if any of you ML owners are not too happy with the service you get from your current dealership and your withins driving distance, I highly recommend MB of Calabas ... and if you do come, try to hook up with my service advisor named Bill Horvat, he is one of the best.

later then
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    I honestly have to say this is the best Mercedes dealership on the east coast. They will go above and beyond for their customers because customer satisfaction is #1. I purchased my 2000 S500 there and they have always taken care of my G-Wagen when i bring it in. Unlike a lot of benz dealerships, they are not snobby or mean. They do have the best loaner cars, before they had an on-site enterprise rental car which rented out chryslers and ford SUVs for free. But now they have new 2001 E class and M class rental cars, which i think is very neat. They have a wide selection of Mercedes and i would recommend it to anyone.
  • gottabeegottabee Member Posts: 10
    anyone have any comments on rusnak of pasadena or calstar motors in glendale for their service? or any better ideas in the general area?
  • miketynermiketyner Member Posts: 2
    I saw some posts about buying a 2002 ML and thought I'd share my personal success story. I went down to my local dealer and was quoted MSRP for an order - they seemed more interested in trying to sell me a 2001 model left in stock. I made the mistake of giving the salesman my phone number and I finally told him to quit calling or I'd never buy there again. I have bought two MB's previously - a 1998 ML320 and a 1999 C230. Both vehicles involved the usual grind of back and forth to "the manager" and focusing on the payment instead of the sale price. I saw a post a few weeks ago about the internet manager at Mercedes Benz of Bakersfield so I called him. I gave him the vehicle I want: 2002 ML320 Black Opal/Charcoal/M1/M2/M5/Bose and he just gave me a flat quote of $1000 over invoice. No haggle or anything - the guy just went to bottom line. I called my local dealer back and they assured me that there must be a mistake and I was probably buying a 2001 model. So of course I called Bakersfield back and he sent me a written quote by email on the 2002 model. Needless to say I'm pretty jazzed waiting for my new 320 due in October. If you are near California you should hook up with this guy - very easy and nice to work with. Doesn't even sound like a car salesmen. My dad is working with him right now to order a G500 for delivery later this year. If anybody is interested - here's the guy I am working with:

Ron Hoff
    ronhoff@sangera.com
    800-848-3494

The more we support dealer sales like this will eventually change the way the whole business works. Tell him I sent you...
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    I brought my ML 320 in for a number of small issues. Occasionally when starting the car the fuel gauge would not register any reading, the drivers window would intermittently not operate, and I smelled something burning when driving from time to time (all hard to find things I guessed). The dealer replaced the window switch and the fuel sender (more about this later), and found a small leak in the transmission fluid which they believed was causing the burning smell.

It has 25,000 miles and I was surprised when I was told I needed new front brake pads and rotors as they were 95% worn, I was told the back brakes were at 40% and could wait longer. I am used to brakes later closer to 40,000 miles but this is my first SUV so maybe they don't last as long. I had them replaced and picked up the truck. The next day I smelled gas while driving and when I pulled over to a gas station (the gauge was visibly dropping) gas was pouring out and across the undercarriage.

I called 800-for-merc and they were very helpful and arranged for a tow truck to take me back to the dealer. The dealer told me that a fuel line had ruptured and blamed it on damage caused by the bad fuel sender that they had replaced the previous visit. Personally, I wonder if a fuel was just not properly re attached. I was also surprised that they didn't fill the tank up for me. It had approximately one gallon of gas in it when I got it back.

Anyone have comments? Are other people going through brakes as quickly?
  • alg70alg70 Member Posts: 2
    Any positive experiences in Essex County?
  • brdrbrdr Member Posts: 7
    I had to change brakes at 20K and 45K on my 98 ml320. Had the tranny replaced as well at about 25K. After the 45K brake replacement I wrote to mbusa. They just gave me the usual runaround like the best materials are used, blah blah blah. Needless to say very disappointed....
  • momwithkidsmomwithkids Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I have to say I have not had good experiences with Keyes Mercedes. 1) They never have enough loaner cars. 2) They had my car at least 2 weeks before telling me what the problem was and how it could be fixed. and 3) They have fixed or installed factory items incorrectly more than once and 4) They take the "blame the other guy" attitude whenever there is an issue - it's always someone else's fault - Mercedes USA, the warranty company, the guys in the back, etc. and they don't take responsibility for their part in the problem.
    I will say that they are very smooth and polite when they are doing all of this, so beware.
    A regretful Mercedes owner
  • chris356bchris356b Member Posts: 1
    I own a '99 ML 320 with 75K on the odometer which was purchased new and has been well maintained throughout its life. It has been expensive to maintain, e.g. brake pads wear quickly, the build quality is poor, and beginning about 10k miles ago, major components are failing. These include the entire instrument cluster, door locks, A/C compressor, rear hatch lock. Compounding these problems are such things as fuel level indicator which is unreliable, door locks which seem to have a mind of their own, and interior door insulation which leaves a sticky residue on the drivers window whenever it is lowered and raised. The dealership here in Atlanta (RBM) is hopeless and full of attitude. Is this an isolated incident or fairly common with these vehicles? This was my first - and last Mercedes Benz. It's absolute rubbish. MB, take a lesson from the Japanese and learn how to build quality vehicles.
  • sj9197sj9197 Member Posts: 3
    Could anyone recommend quality and customer friendly MB dealers in Central New Jersey, please?

Thanks.
  • veeikleveeikle Member Posts: 13
    Prestige MB paramus nj........great dealership...
    salesman...ask for Rudy...service...work with Billy....both my wife and I have cars from this dealership....lease prices were sharp...service is excellent...loaner cars are plentiful...and if their is a problem,the general manager is available!!
  • purutcupurutcu Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 ML320 has 1700 miles. I started having paint problems approximately two months ago, on both fenders, driver's side door and all over the hood, especially close to the windshield. What I'm about to tell you all is like a nightmare.

When I first noticed these chips they were like water spots. These water spots slowly bubble up and crack open. I can see all the way to the metal now. Dealership claimed that only way to take care of this is to paint the hood (hood was the first place where paint started bubbling)and this would be covered under warranty. After days of driving back and forth, wasting time on the phone I agreed. Car came back looking really good. I was ready to forget about this small problem and enjoy my new ML. 2-3 days later, believe or not the spots came back and eventually paint starting chipping again. This time on the fenders as well. I called the dealer to make an appointment. The service rep tried to give me the address and the phone number of the paint shop they used! Yes, you are reading this correct. Anyway, I managed to make an appointment. This time they said the southeast rep for MBUSA will be there.

Well, MB rep called me on the phone before my appointment and asked me what the problem was, and once I explained him over the phone, he says "since it's already painted, it's an issue between you and the dealer".

When I went to the dealer, this time, MB rep, service manager, service rep, salesman and a few other people were present. They looked and looked... and decided to paint it again. When I showed them paint problems on the fenders and driver's side door, service manager said the fenders were painted in the first time! Without my knowledge, and continued to tell me that the paint shop might have done a bad job. This is my brand new 2002 ML 320 that we're talking about, please do not forget!

This was approximately two weeks ago, since then dealer offered me a new car, asking for $9000 on top of my car. I said no, not a single penny. They have persuaded me to have the car painted a second time, because I simply had no choice. I said yes, one more time.

Well, I just got my ML back on Friday. It is absolutely horrible! They (paint shop) spot treated (painted) all those chipped paint spots this time. There are spots where it looks like they used a brush. I did not drive off the dealer's lot. I asked for the GM of the dealership. I really do not want to make this a novel, so I'll try to finish it quickly. After some very rude comments, he (GM)suggested that he will take a hood, fenders and a door from any same color car I want on the lot, switch parts with my ML and he will make me a happy customer. Is this unbelievable or what? I told this GM that I would never switch faulty, painted parts with another car, and make my problem someone else's problem.

I've been in touch with MB - Montvale, New Jersey. The rep on the phone immediately asked me to not to deal with the dealer any more and get in touch with the southeast rep again. I'm in the process of meeting with him. If he takes too long to get to my city, lemon law is just around the corner. I love the ML, but HATE this dealership.

BP
  • wep2wep2 Member Posts: 6
    sj9197
    Contemporary Motor Cars, Little Silver, NJ
    Talk to Terry, great guy, have your Edmunds $$ figures with you. Just had a great experience w/service department, too. Had some minor problems fixed (warranty covered), got a great loaner car E320. email me @ address in my profile.
    wep2
  • rio5rio5 Member Posts: 1
    SO FAR IVE HAD MY POWERSTEERING HOSES BUSTED AND REPLACED...HAD MY ABS SYSTEM REPLACED ...HAD MY FUEL PUMP AND LINES REPLACED...HAD AN ABS ETS SWITCH REPLACED...HAD CHAIR MOULDINGS REPLACED COZ THEY GOT CRACKED INTO PIECES...NOW THEY CANNOT FIND WHY MY ENGINE GOES INTO LIMP MODE WHILE DRIVING IT.. WELLL THEY ARE LOOKING INTO THE "AIR MASS METER". i DO WANT TO TRADE THIS IN. DO NOT BUY AN ML NOT RELIABLE. GOOD THING I GOT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY OR ELSE ILL BE SPENDING A LOT OUT OF MY POCKET AND OF COURSE A LOT OF TOWING AND STRANDED EXPERIENCE.. I REPEAT DO NOT BUY AN ML ..I DONT THINK THEY HAVE PERFECTED THIS...JUST BUY THE SEDANS.
  • janoojanoo Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your ML. Would you mind telling me what year your ML is and what extended warranty you got on the car, was it a merecedes warranty or an outside one? Did the warranty cover everything. Reason being, is that I just got my ML320 2003 2 weeks back and I need to keep an open mind is to what headaches if any, that I can expect. And if Merecedes extended warranty fits the bill or any other extended warranty. Any feed back you give me would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Janoo
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    It's a good idea to get MB's extended warranty. Just like getting a new car, make sure you negotiate for the warranty price.

I have a 2000 ML and have experienced some of the problems mentioned in post #46. Leaking steering system, broken seat molding, broken glove compartment, bubble armrest, misaligned fuel door, + the worse... melted roof insulation. There was glue all over the roof lining. It took the dealer about a week to replace the lining.
  • janoojanoo Member Posts: 15
    thank you for the feed back, I appreciate it. I have decided to go with a MB extended warranty, even though it is costing about $250 more than a Heritage bumper to bumper warranty. I feel that I will be able to sleep a bit better, with this type of warranty.
    Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your ML. When did you discover all these problems? Hope that they were covered under the original warranty.
    thanks
    Janoo
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    MB ext warranty gives you a better (or should I say a more "honest") coverage. One other thing to keep in mind... you can only take your car for service during the workdays if you have an outside warranty company (usually don't open on Sat & MB service advisors can't verify your warranty coverage). With MB ext warranty, you can have your car serviced anytime. Also, MB will cover you up to 8 yrs while most of the private warranty covers only up to 7 yrs. Make sure you bargain for MB warranty. Don't pay the full price.

Actually, I expected the ML to have a some probs even before I bought the car. Knowing the ML is the safest SUV on the road (govt crash test, roll over, off-side impact test) is enough reason for me to make my decision.

I enjoy and LOVE my ML. Hope you will too =)
  • marchiemarchie Member Posts: 11
    Reading unusually many problems ML series have, I start being scared by my plan to buy an used MB (a 1999 ML430) the only one I can afford. Seemingly everybody keeps the car only for the period covered by warranty. So if the original 4 yrs warranty is gone for the one I liked, could I buy extended warranty (for 8 year-coverage you talked before) if I buy it ready used? Is buying pre-owned ML430 a bad idea? Someone was mentioning better a Kia than MB, which is very scary. At their price, the MBs should last better longer not just 4 years. And not 8 years either. I had/have a 30 year car: a 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula (classic "muscle car"), and never had problem except for the random stopping by police because of its shining yellow with black stripes. But I cannot use it going uphill to the little PA house I have just bought during the snowy winter. Please clear me up re: extended warranty on purchases of used cars (still under factory warranty) and about how much they cost to buy. Thanks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion in FWI has been archived, but you may glean some useful info from it.

Used Car Warranties

• jjjgongjjjgong Member Posts: 2
    I just had maintence done on my 99 ML320 before our vacation by Atlanta Mercedes dealer RMB. The dealer charged:

$365 for spark plug change
    $389 for fuel filter change

Is this what peoples been paying for?

Thanks,
    J.G.