Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rugzyrugzy Member Posts: 16
    What dealer gave you that great price?

rugzy
  • Options
    bucobuco Member Posts: 49
    I had come to the conclusion that a Santa Fe was the vehicle for me to buy... the 10 year 100,000 warranty was the deciding factor... but if Hyundai doesn't stand behind its product and dealers, why should I buy a Santa Fe?

Costco is successful because it stands behind anything it sells. Can anyone tell me of any good or bad experiences they've had when buying a vehicle at Costco?

Some Toyota dealers offer lifetime warranties... does anyone know about this?

and sierrashark... where are you finding the dealer ratings on the internet... which is very essential information?
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    While I can sympathize with those that are having or have had problems with their Hyundai dealers and warranty issues, I felt I had to chime in with my experiences. My wife and I own an 04 Sonata and an 05 Tucson (which I may trade-in on a Sante Fe this year, if my wife lets me). The local dealer and their service dept have been a joy to work with, and we didn't even buy the Tucson from them! The few times that there were ever any warranty issues they were taken care of promptly and with no fuss or hassle. My point is that many/most times the dealer is the problem when it comes to warranty hassles. Do your due diligence and check out the dealership before you buy. Find a good dealer, buy your vehicle and hopefully enjoy it for many years to come. ;)
  • Options
    Yes,tenpin, you are absolutely correct; and where is the dealer of which you spoke?

The problem for many of us is that we live in areas where dealers do not exist or have only recently arrived.

Finding a place on the internet where information of dealer reliability is available would make honest dealers thrive and dishonest/uncooperative dealers/companies go out of business.

There's a very real reason why I will not buy another Chrysler product and why the companies and dealers for Toyota and Honda have a fine "quality control" reputation for their vehicles made in the USA.

Hopefully this thread will yield the information to help both dealer/company/purchaser to have a good experience.
  • Options
    and where is the dealer of which you spoke?

That would be Laurel Hyundai of Johnstown, PA.

http://www.laurelhyundaipa.com

They are part of a local dealership group that sells Hyundai, Chrysler, Jeep, Ford, Toyota, BMW, Scion, Dodge, Lincoln and Mercury. Thankfully, our dealings with them have been good and they show no sign of doing anything that could change that. Hopefully you will find a dealership that will treat you well also. ;)
  • Options
    tenpin288,

What url have you found on the internet that shows the quality of dealer's service?

You mentioned several.

Thanks
  • Options
    sierrasharksierrashark Member Posts: 10
    Here is link to Yahoo reviews.
    http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=33666482

I have heard great things about purchasing through Costco. My friend purchased a 2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch Edition and saved way more than any dealer was offering at the time.

I still think that Hyundai is producing a great product. This is our second Santa Fe. We never had a single problem with our 2004 which our daughter now owns. My beef is with the dealer and national customer service. Hyundai consumer affairs is a farse. It's there in name only. This has nothing to do with customer service unless your car has a mechanical or safety defect. And now I'm wondering if they would back you on those issues. I will never purchase another Hyundai product because of thier lack of consumer protection or backing. Before all this happened we were giving serious consideration to trading in our other car and buying an Azera. Not anymore. They have lost all perspective of reality when a $186 repair bill stands between good customer service and future sales. We will continue to drive our Santa Fe but I will not let this issue die. This is just another example or corporate America crapping on the consumer because they can.
  • Options
    I know Edmunds has one on this site somewhere. Maybe one of the mods can point you in the right direction.

Beyond that, I would check out the Better Business Bureau for the area you are in. Also, google "auto dealer service ratings" and you will find a number of ratings sites that you can check out. ;)
  • Options
    wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Just purchased a 2008 Santa Fe SE model FWD, no option packages. Dealer produced the invoice, I purchased for $1300 under invoice. There are no rebates to consumer on '08 models. Net dollars this was better than what I had noegotiated at another dealer for an '07.

I realize there are holdbacks, spiffs, and dealer packs that help them make $$, but this is the first time I've bought a car with that much off invoice.

Good luck to all
  • Options
    Your advice is good. There are plenty of good and fair dealers out there. I wasn't aware of the complaints against this dealer until much later. So the lesson here is research, research, research. When you find a dealer ask for refferences. The core of my issue is the outright lack of concern by Hyundai Corp. about bad dealer service. You don't have the backing of the parent corporation. It has to make you wonder where you would stand if you had a real / major issue with your car and the dealer. I'm sure the majority of dealers would address the matter. But if you had to escalate it to the national level, you're screwed. And what about the complaint factor? Does this fall on deaf ears at the corporate level? Appartenly so. This company, and others in this business, better get thier head out of thier [non-permissible content removed] and start paying attention to the bottom line before they find themselves in the same boat as the home mortgage business. Bleeding red ink and begging for money from foreign countrys. Does anybody remember the recent news stories about the fraud and coruption at Hyundai in Korea? The CEO killed himself before going to prison. I guess Hyundai USA missed the news that night.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,287
    Dealer Ratings & Reviews

There is also a direct link off the Edmunds home page..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    We are becoming very moxy buyers which means we will have a strong consumer base in the USA.

Where did you buy your 2008 Santa Fe?
  • Options
    Purchased the Santa Fe in Scottsdale AZ
  • Options
    gjp52gjp52 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking a Santa Fe 2007 AWD,limited/XM with ultimate package,mats, cargo tray.It has 5800 miles this is a demo. MSRP $32,045 invoice $30314 Dealer is offering
    $29482. What would be a good price to offer. Is it a good idea to buy a demo??
    Is anyone still getting 1.9% finance? Rebates? Any other deals coming up?
    This in :confuse: North Carolina.
  • Options
    gjp, having just been shopping, there is a $1500 rebate on '07 models, plus you should be able to go at least $1000 under invoice. Bargain and all they can say is no.

I got $1300 under invoice on an '08 (of course no rebates on them.)
  • Options
    Don't you really appreciate all the exchange of information on this website that can help all of us be better consumers?

A demo is a used car no matter how you cut it. Look up the cost on Edmunds and KBB... and maybe consider a new 98 with additional options included for no more money.
  • Options
    dtwicksdtwicks Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2007 Santa Fe in May of 2007. I bought the car in the evening and the following day I saw a deep scratch (about 2 1/2" long) on the drivers side door near the mirror. I brought the car back to the dealer and spoke with the General Manager. He set up an appointment for that week to bring in the car so that they could repair the scratch (they actually did not have to fix the scratch since I signed off that all was okay with the car the night before). They also offered a loaner car since they would need the car for two days (they had to paint the whole door). So in my case I received excellent service.
  • Options
    martyhmartyh Member Posts: 11
    I visited the Dealership in Anderson, SC today and really liked their last remaining '07 a new 2WD LTD. I had been in once late last yr and drove an SE.
    Now that its '08, how much should I expect to pay for an '07 2WD LTD with the Touring Package in Slate Blue with leather, no sunroof and no other options?
    Its not a demo, only 75 miles on it including my test drive today.
    An earlier post to this forum said to start at $1500 below invoice for the '07. According to Edmunds that breaks down as follows:
    $24379 invoice
    $1216 for the touring package
    $25595 invoice total
    -$1500 (below invoice)
    $24095 - starting point
    $670 for destination (is this negotiable??)
    $24765 total before rebate
    -$1000 (rebate)
    $23765 selling price after rebate and destination

Is this a good selling price or can I do possibly do better for an '07? Their first offer was $3000 off the 29,000 sticker (28k and change with add ons). I walked, told them I would call back later in the week after researching and make a counter offer.
    The salesman said since it was an '07 they needed to get it off the lot and would listen to any reasonable offer. Suggestions? How far can I reasonably push this?
    Sounds like a few of you out there got this same vehicle for about $22k last yr.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    It sounds like a great deal to me, Marty. No matter how you cut it, you're talking $1500 under invoice LESS rebate. As a point of comparison, I paid exactly invoice less rebate for my 2007 Limited AWD with Premium Package last May. BTW, your numbers don't mention 7-passenger floor mats (invoice = $92); the dealers seem to order mats on all Santa Fes so I'd be surprised if the one you're looking at doesn't have them.

It's always possible that the dealer might take another hundred or two off the price if you want to dicker with them. Still, the deal you're contemplating is a good one for both sides; if you buy at that price you'll have no reason to feel that you were "taken" since it's a very reasonable deal.

BTW, the Santa Fe Limited is a fantastic SUV. I've had mine for 8 months/6500 miles and couldn't be happier with it. Good luck to you! ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. I will let you all know how this turns out. I will also check on the mats. I just feel like I can push for a bit more since this dealership is in the process of moving several miles down the street to a new location. They only have like 15 cars on the lot now and need to get rid of this '07.

Just briefly, we compared Santa Fe to the Pilot, CRV ('05 which we own and tested the '08), Rogue and Highlander ('08). Hyundai is so much SUV for the money and really refined compared to the others. The Santa Fe is more like a luxury brand vehicle for 15 to 20k less. Pilot and Highlander are just so big and don't have the tight steering / suspension that Santa Fe has. Santa Fe 2WD beats them on Fuel Economy as well. Highlander was quiet and poweful but less features for considerably more money and the steering was very loose. Pilot is "OK" but pricy. CRV and Rogue seem sportier as far as ride but do not have room (Rogue) or a quiet ride (CRV) and neither offer the 3rd row or V6. Have to say I was impressed with the Rogue. It was fun to drive. CRV handles well, very tight. Santa Fe feels "bigger" and rolls a bit more on tight turns. But overall the Santa Fe blows them away in power, features, price, refinement, etc.
    BTW I've always been a Honda driver and I have to say the new CRV does not have enough power to get out of its own way and is terribly noisy. I didn't like it at all.

My only concern with the Hyundai is what the long term reliability will be since I have never owned one.
  • Options
    Besides the considerations you mentioned, I'm only looking at the 08 because your battery, tires, etc. on an 07 are a year older and deteriorated from a lack of use.

Price is one thing, service in this new company to the USA is something to take very seriously... ask, google, etc.

In price the vehicle... remember you have no idea what the dealer is paying nor receiving from the corporation... on an earlier Dodge I saved $5,000 by just shopping.

Then bite the bullet and don't look back after you make up your mind in this "auction"

This website is wonderful; I haven't bought yet because the 08 crash tests are not in yet and the 09s are on the way.
  • Options
    Marty, good luck in your negotiations. I posted the message about buying under invoice. I bought an '08 SE for $1300 under. Another dealer had offered me an '07 SE for invoice less $1500 rebate and $500 more off the price.

If your dealer is physically moving and they are a high volume seller, they have some room to make a deal. If they are a smaller dealer, they may look to max their profit. They don't get '08s until the '07s are gone.

Let us know how it goes
  • Options
    orzecaporzecap Member Posts: 10
    I had a very similar and very positive experience as dtwicks.

My car had a scratch (actually a couple of scratches) that I did not see until the next day, but the dealer (Gregory Hyundai in Chicago) completely took care of me and the car. They repainted the entire fender and completely buffed out a door scratch.

They also took care of the dome light problem and the Auto-climate control problem and reset the door locks to lock when driving during the viist while letting me have loaner for 2 days to complete all the work.

While I'm not crazy about the initial issues, I am very pleased with Hyundai service and the car has performed great for us. :)
  • Options
    kmr120kmr120 Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking to purchase a 2007 SF Limited with third row. I have found two options in my area and I am not sure which the “better deal.” is

Option 1: New 07 SF Limited w/ 3rd row. No other upgrades (no moon roof, rack, etc.) The dealership quoted me an "out-the-door" price of $25,557.00

Option2: Used 07 Santa Fe Limited w/ 3rd row. No other options. The car has 15,000 miles, remaining 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty and is at a Dodge Dealership. The sales person said it was traded for a Durango. I have not begun negotiating a price. Their internet price is $21,800.

How low do you think the Dodge people will go and is this the better option?
  • Options
    yiwuyayiwuya Member Posts: 3
    I go to dealer today, he gives me an out of door price on basic modle plus popular option, which is almost same as MSAP price, I am at PA, the tax is 6%. Is a good deal? thanks
  • Options
    todd80todd80 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to pick up a 07 Santa Fe before the end of the month.
    This is what I've been quoted at one dealership:

07 GLS, FWD, automatic
    Includes Touring AND Premium Package
    $22,500+TTL
    That price includes the current rebates.

I'm going to check around at other dealers to see if anyone can beat this, but I'd like to see if this is a good deal.
  • Options
    Last week I read all the posts here related to the '07s and compiled a list of the best deals to help me in negotiating my own best deal. $22,500 for touring and premium is excellent! Its among the lowest reported. You won't do much better unless...Since Hyundai just in the last few days increased the rebate to from $1000 to $1500 on remaining '07s - if as you said, your deal includes the latest rebate, its still a good deal. If not, you might be able to dicker it down another $500. In that case making it a really GREAT deal. Best wishes on successful negotiations.
  • Options
    Has anyone negotiated a killer deal on an '08 LTD yet? I am looking for the Limited with the touring package. That package seems to have increased in price dramatically from last year and now comes with NAV. Based on the invoice prices and Fitzmall prices (if I'm reading them right), I think I'm looking at $25,000 to $27,000 now for LTD with touring as opposed to around $22,500 to $24,000 based on the best reported deals here on the '07s for LTD with touring and premium packages. I posted earlier asking for negotiating advice on the '07 LTD with touring only but my wife drove an '08 over the weekend and now she wants the latest, greatest and freshest - with the Infiniti and sunroof. Any thoughts from the group on what I should pay for the '08 and if its worth the extra dough? Thanks.

BTW - just to make sure the Santa Fe was IT for us, this weekend we drove a Pilot then immediately went down the street and drove the '08 Santa Fe again. Did the same test last week with '07 Santa Fe Vs '08 Highlander and '08 CRV...Guess what?? In ALL cases - NO COMPARISON! Hands down, We prefer the Santa Fe - it rocks!!
  • Options
    It's tough to evaluate the number unless you tell us how much the rebates are. (They can vary depending on location.) The best way to evaluate a price is to compare the purchase price (before factoring rebates, taxes, and registration) with the invoice price of the vehicle (as shown at Edmunds.com). You should be able to buy for around $1500 UNDER invoice, less rebates, plus tax and registration.
  • Options
    The included rebate is the $1500 end-of-the-month rebate on 07's.
    I can't find the invoice price for 2007 models on Edmunds. Maybe someone can help me. I can't seem to generate the invoice price with options on the 2007 Santa Fe. I can find the invoice price on the base 08 model, but the touring package that I chose for the 07 GLS isn't available on the 08 Santa Fe.
    Based on my guess of the invoice price on the 2007's, I'm still several hundred short of $1500 under invoice.
    Does anyone have the exact numbers for the 2007 Santa Fe invoice prices?
  • Options
    "Does anyone have the exact numbers for the 2007 Santa Fe invoice prices?"

Unfortunately, Edmunds has taken 2007 Hyundai pricing off their web site.
  • Options
    slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    You can find some pricing on the '07 at carsdirect, they are showing a price of $22804 for the GLS optioned as you indicated with the $1500 rebate. As martyh said $22500 looks like a good price.
  • Options
    If buyer or seller writes on this list that $22,500 for a 2007 lowest model Sante Fe, with whatever options... after the 2008 model was available for less, who do you think is posting that kind of information on this list?

And some other manufacturers are already showing 2009 models!

Everywhere statements are seen that dealers are desperate to get rid of 2007 Sante Fe models... in my opinion in this market $22,5000 ... Buyer beware!
  • Options
    slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Gosh, I don't know, why don't you just tell everyone who you think is posting this kind of information? And at the same time put your money where your mouth is and
    enlighten all of us as to where a lowest model 2008 with the appropriate options can be purchased for less. I'm sure todd80 would appreciate the information.
  • Options
    Both you and dtwicks are very fortunate to have good dealers to handle your issues. You are also fortunate to live near the dealer so you could just take the car in and leave it. We live about 400 miles from the delaer that sold us the car and about 225 miles from the nearest dealer. I would have to drive there, get a motel room for two days, buy 2 tanks of gas and miss work all for a $186.00 scratch. In fairness the dealer did agree to have us get it repaired in our home town but would not guarantee re-payment after I paid out of pocket. I have since filed a formal complanit with the Better Business Buerau in the location of the dealer. Turns out they have had several complanits about this dealer yet Hyundai USA refuses to get involved or investigate this dealer. This just smacks of backroom "good ole boy" tactics on both sides of the fence. I have said it before, I believe there are far more "good" dealers out there than "bad" dealers. But if you think that Hyundai USA is there to back you up then you are delusional. I challenge anyone out there. Just call Hyundai Consumer Affairs and ask them "If I have a dealer related issue regarding my car is Hyundai USA going to help resolve the issue?" (800) 633-5151.
  • Options
    While I can certainly empathize with you, I can't help but question the wisdom of buying a make of car for which the closest dealer is 225 miles away from home. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    The answer is simple. The nearest "large" town (population of 20,000 or more) is 180 miles away. We live in town (population 5,000) where the only brand of cars sold is either Ford/Mazda or Chevy/Toyota/Honda. And even with those choices the selection is very small. Usually the local dealers have to go find a car and have it shipped here. If you want to buy a Hyundai or any other model you have to travel or shop via the internet. Either way you are going to travel. It's the price you pay to live in Paradise. As far as service goes, you can always plan a shopping, medical, visiting relatives trip around getting your car serviced. It's a local joke that we live in a place where people that live in the city's save thier money all year to take a 5 day vacation and come here only to say "How can you live here with no shopping malls, no freeways, no 16 screen movie theater". I have never saved money all year to take a 5 day vacation and go to L.A. or some other large city. Urban dwellers just don't get it. And that's O.K. To each his own. It's what makes the USA the USA.
  • Options
    tedextedex Member Posts: 1
    I was in the market for a '06 or '07 Hyundai sedan in the 10k - 12k range. My trusty 'ol '95 Eagle Talon had blown a sparkplug, and with 177k on it, seemed as good a time as any to start looking. I got a rental '07 Rio to drive while the Talon was being repaired, and the Rio seemed a bit better than I had expected. Not a bad fit and finish, and plenty of power for it's size. Handled rather poorly, but I figured that was mostly me being used to a low slung coupe. I decided to keep lookin for a Hyundai.

The following Saturday was "Car Shopping Day" for me.

After attempts by a couple of regular car salesmen to ramrod me into well used 2 yr. old Rios and Accents for the price of a new one at two of the well known dealerships, I decided to try the closest "one price" dealer. Didn't see anything on the lot in my budget range besides well worn PT's and an Alero.

As we were walking out, I noticed a shiny red something stuffed between a couple of newer Xterras. It looked RED red. Just like the Talon, but even brighter. Dazzling, almost. No price on it yet, as the salesman explained, they had just received it as a trade-in the previous day. I inquired further...

Ended up driving off with the 2003 Santa Fe LX, 3.5l FWD, 8100... yes 8100 miles and looks as if it had hardly seen the light of day for the past 4 years. Not a scratch besides a small ding on a rear quarter that the salesman promised he would have taken care of by the paintless dent repair guy, and he did.

Out the door for $12399, with 9 months on the factory warranty and a freebie 3 yr/50k dealer drivetrain warranty on top. I couldn't have purchased a new Rio with auto and A/C for that price. In fact, I was surprised to see how little the low mileage actually added value, as Autotrader and others list the same model with 55k to 65k for around the same price or $1500 more.

Had it for two weeks now and couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    Yes, I (and I'm sure many others) would like to know where the 08's can be found for that price.

Slateblue--thanks for pointing me towards carsdirect.com. I'm going to be buying another car later this year, and I'll have to read up on that site.

I'm still searching for the perfect iPod solution for the Santa Fe. As silly as it sounds, I sometimes think that if Hyundai included some sort of integration package (or even an aux port) I would have already bought the SF weeks ago.
  • Options
    bannodbannod Member Posts: 24
    Amen to that! I also live in Paradise, which happens to be a town on the WA coast with one blinking stoplight. My Hyundai dealer is 2 hours away, half of it through the mountains.

My dealer gives loaners when a vehicle needs servicing, whether it's for a couple of hours or a few days. Unfortunately, the loaner I got was a Taurus and it felt like a step down!
  • Options
    bannodbannod Member Posts: 24
    I've found that I don't miss my iPod at all since I have XM radio. If I did, I'd burn the songs to a CD.
  • Options
    Anyone on the east coast looking for the best deal on a LTD AWD should check out Fitzmall. They have a few 08 Santa Fe's going for $26,361. Thats $2838 under invoice. And one of them even comes with Floor mats, cargo tray, mud gaurds and a tow hitch. :)
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me The highest volume dealer on the west coast, ie: Washington - California?
  • Options
    The so called highest volume dealer in Calif. is the dealer I'm having trouble with, Roseville Hyundai. Many, many complaints against them including formal complaints with the Better Business Beaureu. Don't confuse biggest volume dealer with best possible purchase. Any dealer can find the exact car you want. It's all in what they charge you plus their reputation for honesty and good service. That's worth something all by itself. Good luck and good hunting.
  • Options
    yiwuyayiwuya Member Posts: 3
    bought at yesterday(1/31/2008)! 2008 GLS FWD sliver, 4 spreed automatic trans, with popular option. out of door for 22120$ (inclu tax,title...) at PA
  • Options
    Please will you share the options and dealer name/locations?

Thanks
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I hope this reference is allowed: consumerguide.com still has pricing for the '07 Santa Fe under the heading of new car prices.
  • Options
    gjp52gjp52 Member Posts: 3
    Bought our Santa Fe Limited/XM Ultimate pkg. on the Jan.31.Never believe salesman when they say its best they can. Walked out because they would not come down on there offer. They called me at home, after 3 last best offers from them we made a deal.
    I am sure it is not the best deal, but it is all I could get. They wear you out.
    $28300 out the door. No trade in. Took 0% finance for 48 months.

$26842 Limited/XM Ultimate pkg, mud flaps,first aid,cargo net,etc.
    $ 1457 TTL
    $28300 total.
  • Options
    littledavytlittledavyt Member Posts: 1
    $22,900 for '08 SE FWD - only add-ons were rear cargo mat, floor mats, and first-aid kit.
  • Options
    Is that FWD or AWD and where did you pick it up?