Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Yikes! Sorry about posting that to the wrong person!!! My bad! I have rectified the situation :D
    When I was helping my friend shop for a car, we were at a Civic dealer. The civic he was showing us had a short ram air intake on it....He tried telling us that it alone would give 12-15 HP gains...I said, "oh really?" We left shortly after that.

On another note, I've heard conflicting stories from retailers. Some say air intake will get you more gains...others say exhaust is more important. Now I realize that both would be best, but one can only do so much at a time. :(
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    anyways...

gandalf: I'm loving the new (to me) car. Tomorrow I pick up the front spoiler that was missing when I bought it. Not cheap but it's worth it.

One of our buyers actually took my old Pro to an auction today. Kinda made me jealous to see somebody else in my old car. She sure was a looker.

The Lexus IS interior isn't anything to write home to Mom about. No soft-touch plastics at all. Nice design but I'd rather have a CL or an A4. Just the reliability on those A4's :(
  • browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    generally speaking, the 3rd gen protege's have a decent exhaust system (except for the muffler) when compared to other cars. Pipe size looks to be about 2", and the bends are not of the crush type. Generally, you shouldn't go over 2" (for 2.0L and under) exhuast unless you have a turbo or are running some NOS. Getting a universal fit performance muffler would be alot cheaper than getting a whole cat-back and will reduce back pressure by almost the same amount. Could probably get a Magnaflow installed for under 200 bucks. Good straight through design with a nice deep tone.

The aftermarket support for the Protege seems to be growing as well. You can get an AEM or Ingen intake now but I've heard of 2 or 3 others in development. Hopefully competition will lower the prices.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    I have been looking at three cars, the protege es with a $1,500.00 rebate,the hyundai elantra GT, and the new suzuki aerio. I like hatchbacks, but the protege5 is too slow even with the manual as it weighs several hundred pound more than the es. The car will be equipped with a 5 speed and all the options, can u tell me what your experience has been with the 2002 model, Mazda made some structual and steering improvements to the car and it always wins C&D comparison tests.

Thanks for your help.
    Frank
    I didn't think they made any changes to structure or steering from 2001 to 2002..I could be wrong though. In any case, I think you'll find that the Pro probably handles the best out of the 3 you mentioned. I haven't driven the other 2, so don't take my word for it.

I think it really depends on what you're after...handling? Speed? Etc.??
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    Get out there and drive them. I bought my ES 3 months ago and if you keep in miond that this is an entry level car, the Pro is by far the best all around of those you mentioned. I also looked at the Civic EX and Saturn SL2 and SC2. It's all a matter of personal preference. There are really not big gaps between these cars. They each are the manufacturers' interpretation of what the buyer wants. The value and overall performance is what sold me on the ES. ABS, 4 whl discs, 16" alum rims and 55 series tires stock form the factory and a great looking interior (to me anyway) sold me on the ES. Now include the sunroof standard and great financing terms and the Pro is hard to beat.

I'm sure each group for each car will tout their pluses, as they should. Just get out there and drive them all. That's what convinced me. I looked at the SER Spec-V but the interior was just plain nasty in color and there was also the extra cost. The regular SER was also so much more expensive than the Pro ES that I decided against it as well. When I compared how the Pro ES felt to the others, my mind was made up.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... but I did pull up next to a new Corolla at a stoplight yesterday on the way home from work. First one I've seen in person. Nice looking car!

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    first impression: it's SO TALL!!!!
    But it had good lines too. Wasn't so overly tall and skinny like an Echo. And it seems Toyota, which recently seems to have gone a little "Pontiacky" in its use of plastic add-on body cladding, toned it down on the Corolla (er, no comment on the Matrix ...) This car actually had handsome lines. Can't say a whole lot for the color -- I would've called it "Split Pea Soup Metallic."

Meade
    Anybody ever seen or heard of an old Mazda 323 hatchback? I think it was a GX or something like that. Really weird looking...almost looked like the end of an MX-3 rammed together with the front of the old 323s.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Even with the 1.6L engine. It's just so enjoyable.
    And for the under-90mph driving I do, it's just fine most of the time. Could use some more torque when pulling out of tight turns when I'm feeling extra-frisky, but I had a ball yesterday when the weather was nice. Had the windows open, stereo blasting etc. Hee hee.

Good grief, stop being so picky. Yeah, if I didn't have an issue with blowing so much money on a car and didn't need it to be practical for four passengers PLUS their stuff, I'd get an M5 (if I could get rid of all the fancy electric c**p they put into it) or a Porsche 911. However, for my needs and parsimonious personality, my Pro fits the bill very well. It's fun to drive in the twisties, has decent pick-up in local driving, decent passing power on the freeway, economical with fuel, fits me physically, decent cargo space and has been very reliable. I'm happy. That's all that matters to me.
    Our neighbor used to have a 323 hatchback. It was red and cute. They got rid of it for an Isuzu Trooper though .. ugh
    That M5 is one car I would spend the $70,000 for though. But since I don't have $70,000 to blow on a car I would settle for a 540i 6-speed with the sport package of course.
    Those were great little cars (pun intended). Peppy (since they were so light), great-handling, and practical. Too bad they didn't have 4 doors, or I'd have gotten one (they did have a wagon as well, but they didn't stock many of them). As it is, I have an '89 323 sedan (still). Would've gotten a wagon, but I couldn't find any at the time.

FoMoCo's contemporaneous Tracer was based upon the 323. I recall they had only the hatch and wagon versions, not the sedan. Strange.

Mazda did have a GTX (turbo, AWD, adjustable gas suspension) verson of the hatch. Not many sold, but their owners typically hold onto them unto death (of the car). I still see one every now and then.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The reason not many were sold is because they were only sold in Hawaii, not the continental US. Why this was the case I have no idea. It seems that cool cars always have a hang-up? The MS3 will continue that strange tradition of limited availability.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Yeah, I saw a 323 hatch in traffic for the first time a few months ago...nearly ran over several pedestrians while I was gawking at it. Yep, kind o' weird looking. (And of course, no offense to anybody out there who has a garage full of them)
    Yeah, I just saw one yesterday for the first time and was really surprised by it!
    BTW, not that anybody will care, but they start digging the hole for my new house today!!!!! Yahoo!!!
    :D
    It's called a "foundation."

Meade
    Hahahahaahahaha....we're like Hobbits up here in Canada. They dig us a "Hobbit hole" and then frame the inside of the hole. Quite interesting, really. Much better than those igloos we used to live in during the 80's and early 90's, eh? :P
    I see PF.... at least somebody got my attempted joke ;)
    LOL!
    Never lived in one before...
    I see...let me ask you this: How much does an average sized house in Chicago (your area I guess) cost?
    Or a money pit, just as that lame movie represented. It's always one thing after another. I'd rather sink my money into something more entertaining like cars and computers. :)
    Dang. No wonder I see so few. And I was salivating over the thought of having one when I read the sections in the owner's manual that covered the GTX features.

Another nice reason to live in Hawaii. Wish I did. :(
    Well, to give you an idea, on my block they're currently building 2 and 3 bedroom condos that start in the 300's.

A house in my neighborhood, should one come on the market, would probably be in the range of $750,000--$1M US.

Don't know how much that is in millimeters :)

--Dale
    I don't think so...As opposed to cars, houses GAIN value (well most do). Cars are the true money pit. All you do is put more and more money into it. AND when you try to sell the car, you get thousands less than you've put in.

Dale...what's with the deja vu?
    Keep up. :P
    My posts are always better the second time around :)
    Dang. No wonder I see so few. And I was salivating over the thought of having one when I read the sections in the owner's manual that covered the GTX features.

Another nice reason to live in Hawaii. Wish I did. :(
    We bought our first home (the one we live in now) three years ago, and we've already made about $20,000 on the deal. In the same amount of time, the cars we've had have probably LOST about that much value (and they cost less to begin with)!

Meade
    Wow...20K....that's impressive! Do you have any pics of your house that you'd be willing to post over on the other msg board? Would be interesting to see!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My grandparents bought a house about 50 years ago (the one I live in now). They paid $4500 for it and worried about how they would make the mortgage payments on it. There have been some improvements, but it's not completely remodeled like some in the same neighborhood. It was just appraised at $165,000 a month or so ago.

The newly remodeled houses in Baltimore, Md. (near the Inner Harbor, where I live) go for $150-200K easily.
    There is a 1988 Mazda 323 GTX AWD on EBay Motors for sale. It says there's 77,500 miles on it and the price is $2000.

http://www.ebaymotors.com then search under "Mazda".

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I've owned mine for about two years. It has gone up in value about $55k. I like houses. Houses good. Fire bad.

Maybe I'll go blow all that money on a new car! Nah, wife won't let me. Smart girl.
    Wow! Actually my parent's house is like that too...not sure how much they paid for it origianlly because my grandfather built it a long long time ago. Now it's worth something like $500 000!!! That's mostly lot value, but woo hoo!!
    There was already one pic in my photos that showed a corner of the house behind my Protege, but I just added another -- unfortunately, it's the only pic of the house I have here at work and it's in the snow -- but my Protege's in the pic too, so it's still applicable for my photo album! It'll give you an idea what the house looks like, even though it's covered in about half a foot of snow. We're on a third of an acre about 20 miles southwest of downtown Richmond.

Meade
    I should've thought more about the comment about the rear end of the 323 sighted looking like an MX3.

The 323 GT hatchback's rear I recall doesn't look like an MX3 at all. It had a hatch spoiler, but otherwise looked like a regular 323 hatchback (OK, it had alloys and "special" stickers too).

However, there was a 323 variant sold in Australia called the 323F or Astina that did have a rear shaped like an MX3. In fact, the rest of it really resembles the MX3 (but for the second set of side doors).

Here's one website you can go to to see what these look like. They look very nice (interesting what other regions of the world get that we don't), but I have to admit it looks too short for me to fit into it. :(

http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/idle/292/cars/mazda_323_gallery/

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    My parents built a house in Eden Prairie (suburban Minneapolis) in 1977 for $80K. It's worth $240K now with 5 years left on the mortgage. They couldn't even afford to buy it now if they had to do it over again. Not a bad investment.
    makes me want to buy a house too! no wait I'm only 23, why do i need to buy a house now??? :D
    If you can afford it, why not buy a house? It's better than throwing your money away on rent. I've seen what many people pay for mortgage payments, and in a lot of cases, it's cheaper than what you would pay for rent.
    I was going to buy a house in the beginning of 2001. It's easier than you think actually. If you have pretty good credit, you are all set. I thought the same thing about rent. My rent was $520 a month and on a $70K house, the mortgage was going to be like $625 for something I would own. It's definitely an investment. And you make out like a bandit during tax time too. My dad owns our house (I will be part owner in a month or so as well), and he got a refund of a couple 1000 this past year.
    maybe a townhouse that i can split with my brother. I'll have to look into that... hmm... and I know about the tax savings when you own a house... must think over...
    I'm 24...the house I'm buying is small, but it's my first house. I'll only be in it for about 5 years. Also, all the other houses around us are relatively more expensive...somebody once told me that it's sometimes best to buy the cheapest house in the most expensive neighbourhood.

Also, because the interest rates are so low, my mortgage will actually be lower than my rent for the first 3 months (special rate). After that, the mortgage payments will be slightly higher, but still within my means.

I'm not saying a house is right for everyone, but I think it's a great investment, and it's never to early to invest in yourself. :)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Had my house built in 89 at a cost of $102,000. Had our house appraised last year at $190,000. Not too bad of a increase in value. Living in a house is a life style choice, it's not for everyone. I enjoy working in the yard, finishing our basement, installing pergo etc, and most of all....detailing the Protege on my driveway!

Pjd58
    fxashun bought our house about a year before I met him and it's appreciated alot. We are in the "sixth fastest growing county in the country". Along with the increased value though has come increased traffic. You have to plan carefully and think about what time of day you are leaving. But we are convenient (within 30 minutes with no traffic) to downtown Atlanta and a few other desirable areas so I can't complain too loud. We just refinanced to a 15 year mortgage so with the amount that we pay extra it should be paid off by the time I hit 30 an fxashun hits 30-ish. Not too bad.

I just can't justify paying rent. A decent 2 bedroom apartment around here is several hundred dollars more than we are paying for a 3 br/2 bath house with a 2 car garage on almost an acre on the cul-de-sac.
    I definitely would like a house with some grass around it to walk through with bear feet in the summer. :) I am doing a little remodeling in the house I am in right now this summer actually. It's in the city, though, and I hate it. My dad's retiring and moving to NC within 5 years, so we will be selling the house and I will get my own place at that time. I don't want to leave this area, so I am going to be staying behind.
    "sixth fastest growing county in the country".

That's because you live in suburban Atlanta. I see appraisals from all over the country and that metro area has to be one of the most affordable places to buy a house. No wonder they have a sprawl problem.
    It is very affordable compared to areas like Chicago, San Fran, LA, and NY (of course). A rat hole in San Fran costs more than our house. Same in NYC. ($2800 for a studio on the bad side of town.. ugh)