Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Okay, it looks as though the supply is finally catching up to the demand here, but it varies by dealer. Example: Princeton Honda shows 30 Civics in stock on their website, while Clinton Honda only shows 12 ( just one LX ). Will check Phillipsburg and Bridgewater . Anyone have dealings with any of these dealers? Clinton has been pretty steady ,holding at msrp less $350, but not much to choose from. Haven't been to Princeton yet. The prices should start coming down. It appears that most dealers have more EX's, than LX's.
  • Options
    integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    I've noticed the EX/LX disparity as well, but so far no one has told me that they can't get LX in the Atomic Blue that I want.

Have you looked around any of the Philly dealerships?
  • Options
    mantramantra Member Posts: 7
    you quoted me a price for a coupe, what about sedan?
  • Options
    lmp1976lmp1976 Member Posts: 4
    I seriously considered it but after learning that they would have to tear out my dash, door panels and drill holes for the antenna I passed. The car isn't really "xm ready". Instead of getting XM I bought a compact flash and card adapter. I know it's not the same but I'm just looking for the music, not all the other stuff XM offers.
  • Options
    MSRP is $200 more for the LX sedan, and $0 different on the EX, so it shouldn't be much more than $200 on the DX. The New Car guide on Edmunds should have exact numbers.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    mantra,

You can research all of the numbers right here on the Edmunds website yourself. Your original message didn't specify Coupe or Sedan.

The invoice cost for a 2006 Civic DX AT Sedan is $14,046, minus 3% dealer holdback of $421, plus destination charge of $550.

That means that you should work upwards from the dealer's REAL COST of about $14,175. Try adding in a dealer profit of $250. That means that you might want to make an offer of $14,425 to start.
  • Options
    roxychickroxychick Member Posts: 8
    Whatever you do, if you look around at Philly dealerships, DO NOT got to Piazza Honda at the Auto Mall. They are freaking horrible there. I went to test drive a car and get some prices. I got there and nobody would come out of the showroom to help me. Then when I finally got someone, he decided to pull the wrong car around the front. After he figured out which one I wanted to drive, he tried to start it and the battery was dead. By that time I was pretty frustrated so I left. After visiting the rest of the Auto Mall, stupid me decided to go back to Piazza Honda. I go and get a different guy to help me and he was able to find the car I wanted on the back lot. After all that, I finally drove the car and when it came down to price he wasn't even willing to take $1 off of MSRP. I ended up going to Conicelli Honda and order a White LX Coupe AT. I paid $16,999 + T&T. I probably could've done better, but I was just happy to get below MSRP.
  • Options
    Is that Piazza as in Mike Piazza, late of the New York Mets?

LX AT Coupe, what's that MSRP, around 17600?
  • Options
    gibraltarlagibraltarla Member Posts: 9
    The 3 percent formula is an excellent starting point. I'm considering the Civic Hybrid, but was turned off when dealers in my area (Los Angeles County) started the bidding at $2-3K above MSRP. I assume finding a dealer willing to sell the Hybrid for MSRP would be a good deal, or do you think the 3 percent formula on the Hybrid also applies?
  • Options
    darwin223darwin223 Member Posts: 5
    if you check outside of L.A. county you can find them for MSRP. I know barber honda of bakersfield is selling them for sticker. a 2 hour drive to bakersfield is better than paying 2- 5k above sticker. Its unbelievable here in L.A.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I have the Honda XM tuner and antenna. Someone posted collegehillshonda.com before. They post pricing and installation instructions for all the dealer add-ons. I think this option is roughly $350ish.

Aftermarket options exist,a although the Honda unit is a clean install. I wouldn't allow a 19 year-old at Best Buy to touch any car I own. installation does require removal of panels but they easily snap back. It also does not require drilling holes in the roof. The antenna is mounted inside the vehicle, passenger side windshield.
  • Options
    gibraltarla,

If you are looking for the pricing discussion on the Civic Hybrid, you are in the wrong forum. This one is for the non-Hybrid Civics.

Here's where you'll find the correct one:

/direct/view/.ef27e7f/143!make=Honda&model=Civic&ed_mak- eindex=.ef27e7f
  • Options
    No, I don't think it's Mike Piazza. Just a guy who owns a bunch of dealerships. Yea, the MSRP was $17,660. I ordered it from the factory too because I couldn't find a white LX coupe anywhere.
  • Options
    What was the timeframe that they gave you on delivery? Or are they doing a locate?
  • Options
    nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    I think its Mike Piazza father who owns these dealerships. Since Piazza is from PA and I did hear in his early career about this car dealerships. Not that he has anything to do with the day to day operation.
  • Options
    salilsalil Member Posts: 4
    Hello Friends,
    I have a generic question about buying used cars in USA. My budget is $3500 and I would like to buy a used car. I would like to buy a used Honda Civic, Nissan Ultima or Toyota Corolla. I would like to go interstate and travel long distances, for eg. make 1500 mile roundtrips on a used car. My friends have told me that if I go for a car that has above 100,000 miles then it would be risky to put a lot of miles more on it and it is just good for short distance trips. Else I have been adviced it would lead to expensive maintenance and the car might even break down in the middle of the highway. So do you think I would get a car that can make long distance trips for my budget? What should be the mileage of such a car?
  • Options
    Any vehicle that you purchase at that price level would have to be carefully examined by a mechanic that you trust. It's worth paying for a mechanic to find out about potential problems with major mechanical and electrical systems before making a buying decision. You could then estimate your potential costs if repairs appear to be necessary.
  • Options
    For $3500, allow me to introduce you to the term "hoopty." Unfortunately, at that price, any of the vehicles that you mentioned will have high miles, excessive wear and age, or all of the above. Still, for a long distance trip, you might be OK, but I wouldn't try driving through the desert with it.
  • Options
    They tried a locate first but no luck so it took about a month.
  • Options
    Were you flexible on color etc? I have a feeling that if I go Civic over tC, it'll have to be Atom Blue.
  • Options
    baker1jbaker1j Member Posts: 15
    Is it possible to buy the Pioneer Airware XM unit and just plug it into the aux jack? I think the Airware already has an XM antenna. I'm thinking of doing this myself. Anyone know if this works? This avoids any installation of anything.
  • Options
    Sure, you can plug any aftermarket XM radio into the Civic's AUX jack to have sound through your vehicle's speakers. Realize that the AUX jack is only on EX models though and you won't have your stations displayed on your Honda radio.

In order to have the best reception, the XM antenna that comes with the Airwave's optional Car Kit (see the specs here http://shop.xmradio.com/detail.aspx?pid=4&cat=7) must be be mounted on the vehicle's roof. You will not get a consistantly satisfactory signal through the windshield with the Airwave's built-in antenna, since your roof will block direct access to the satellite as you change directions in your everyday driving.

Yes, there's a bit of routing of the antenna wire to be done.
  • Options
    leokadia1leokadia1 Member Posts: 94
    I always add the chrome Exhaust finisher on every Honda I buy. But today I am recovering from sticker shock!! They want $90.00 for it. The 05 was about $20.00. Can anyone find a cheaper price? Or anyone from American Honda Corp. can explain this over priced piece. :lemon:
  • Options
    wannabetoriwannabetori Member Posts: 3
    I am a first time auto buyer. I have been looking at the 2006 Civic MT with Navi and pretty much decided it's the car I want. I have done my research about invoice, MSRP etc, but I'm confused! What should I expect for a decent cost? What should I expect to pay after TTL, docs, destination etc? Help!
  • Options
    TTL will vary by state, each state has their own tax rate and if you have an old car that you're trading in, you may be eligible for a slight tax credit, again, depending on the state that you REGISTER the car in. You do not pay the state tax of the state that the DEALER is in.

Doc Fees will vary by dealer, check when you're shopping around, as some dealers will 'show' a lower price than their local competitor, but then nail you with a correspondingly higher doc fee.

Destination is $550 on a Honda. It's on the sticker and therefore part of the MSRP and the invoice. Try to negotiate up from the invoice prices that you can find on the Edmunds New Car page, but keep in mind that the dealers do set their own prices, so on a popular car like the Civic, you may need to do some more legwork to get the car that you want at the price that you want.
  • Options
    You do not pay the state tax of the state that the DEALER is in. Does this mean I pay the state tax of the state I register my car in?

And why is it that each dealer is able to change the price on doc fees? Shouldn't this be a set amount like registration fees?
  • Options
    homethhometh Member Posts: 7
    But why some dealers charge me city tax, like around 8%;
    but there's one saying I only need to pay state tax, which is 6.5% only.
    Thx.
  • Options
    l0n3ch4nl0n3ch4n Member Posts: 3
    Hi people,
    I'm looking for a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX AT. I just got a quote today from Sierra Honda, Monrovia for $16,700. They gave me the Out the door price for $18,307.21. Do you guys think that it's a good price? If not, how much do you think is a good price for it? Thanks a lot!! ^^ :)
  • Options
    rudeboy3rudeboy3 Member Posts: 5
    I got an over the phone quote for an LX for $18,450, but my quote had $500 dollars knocked off the sticker price because I have a AAA membership.

So yes, I would call that a good deal, but then again I haven't really shopped around that much.
  • Options
    I have a AAA membership also. Do they always give you a $500 discount when u have it?
  • Options
    viki617viki617 Member Posts: 13
    2003 Certified Pre-Owned Honda Civic EX AT
    Radiant Ruby Pearl
    20,300 miles
    $14,595
    I live in the Boston Metro area.

The car was listed at $14,995 and the salesman said that they don't negotiate used car prices, but offered us the $400 coupon off their website. I was surprised to learn that they don't negotiate, but the KBB on this car is $16,120, and you can't specify on there whether it's Certified... so i guess if you factor in the value of the warranty/roadside assistance then the KBB might be something like $16,600? Anyway, do you think that $2000 below blue book is a good deal? It doesn't seem bad to me, but I just don't feel right paying the dealer's asking price :confuse:
  • Options
    Call your nearest AAA office and tell them that you would like a referall to a Honda salesman that is signed up for the AAA discount,, they will give you their number then you have to do the contacting,,I think my representative over priced me , hopefully I could break him down a K or so or shoot try to get a EX for under 20K...

sigh,,
    I got a long week ahead of me
  • Options
    ooo cool kk thx.. do you live around monrovia area also? what dealer did you get ur quote from? o n btw, last time they offered me an EX for $17,700 since they didn't have the LX one when I went to their dealer.
  • Options
    Any dealer that says they dont negotiate on used cars does not sell too many. They are always negotiable. Dealer probably paid between 10,000 and 11,500 for the car on trade. The used car market is depressed now,you should not have to pay retail price, should be more like the private party sale price which is about 12,000-13000 on Kelly bluebook. Offer them 13,000 and then perhaps come up to 13,500. You can always check out other dealers.
  • Options
    No, I to had have white. LOL. I'm a girl, you know? I wanted it to be pretty. If I would have been flexible I could have got something a lot quicker. But when you're spending all that money on a new car, you gotta get exactly what you want.
  • Options
    By 'Doc Fee' I meant dealer doc/prep/whatever fee. It's a fee that most dealers charge to do the paperwork on the deal. Some don't, if they're not procesing your state papers etc. So it's not a set amount because it's set by the dealer, not the state, and it's not required by any state law or anything (some contracts will indicate this).

Yes, you pay the state tax and associated registration fees for whatver state that you're registering the car in. For example, Delaware State Documentation fee is 2.75%. Pennsylvania is 6% If I live in PA, but buy in DE, I must pay the higher amount.
  • Options
    Sorry pal, I'm located in the Houston area. The dealerships around here are selling only at sticker price some are even charging more. It looks like I'm going to wait this out a couple of months. Hopefully then, things will improve.
  • Options
    Oh, I fully understand about getting what you want when you spend that kind of money. I have a very strong feeling that my test drives today eliminated the last remaining vehicle I was looking at instead of the Civic, and I'm going to hold out for Atom Blue.
  • Options
    I just drove home the 2006 honda civic EX coupe MT with navi in atomic blue. Paid $19738 - an awesome price if you ask me with the demand. Go visit 888 Auto Corporation in Sunnyvale, CA. I love my new car. . .still getting used to driving MT, but it'll come with time right? At least I didn't stall in traffic on the CA freeways ;)
  • Options
    So are you steering clear of the Scion TC now? My buddy has one and he loves it, but the Civic's are great too. Have you test driven one yet? Before I got mine, I test drove a bunch of different cars and as soon as I got in the Civic I knew it was what I wanted.
  • Options
    I finally got a look at one in the daylight and without it pouring rain. The Scion tC drove really well but even with the fold down seats the cargo space won't work for me (I can't fit certain sporting goods in that I need) but they will work in the Civic (it's the way the space is laid out). Also, a lot of the trim level extras (sunroof/alloy wheels) are not really necessary for me. And I like the new dash and gas mileage (110 mile round trip daily) so the Civic is going to be it.
  • Options
    oc48oc48 Member Posts: 3
    Tonight I purchased my Honda Civic LX Sedan in Galveston, TX. I got out the door for 18,600. I paid a little more than I should but the supply and demand here in Houston is crazy for these cars! I actually had 3 dealers turn me down when I told them I'd buy a car from them on the spot for $18,600! The dealers are getting sticker price for these cars and can't keep them on the lot!

I also financed through Honda for 5.9%.
    They offered an extended warranty 8 years/120,000 miles for what came out to be about $1,300. Of course I turned it down.

The cost of the car was $17,300 + a little more than $1050 tax + title + license + $50 doc fee.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I took my 05 Civic in for it's first oil change yesterday and decided to see what was on the lot. Three 06 Civics and one was a black SI...very sharp.

Lots of Ridgelines, I can see why with a price of $30K plus. Even more Pilots, man there had to be about 25-30 sitting on the lot, didn't know they weren't selling.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    What was the price of the 2006 Si very rare right now :)
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The Pilot is selling very well. In December it sold 18,788 alone. It almost passed the Explorer as 3rd highest selling SUV behind the Trailblazer and Grand Jeep Cherokee. There are many on the lots, but that is because they are cranking them out.

The Ridgeline is also selling better each month. It sold about 6,600 in December. It actually outsold the Nissan Frontier in December.

Of course the Civic outsold the Corolla and Accord for December. Only the Camry sold more in the car segment.
  • Options
    vf154vf154 Member Posts: 12
    Re: 2006 honda civic EX coupe MT with navi in atomic blue. Paid $19738

Can you be more specific in what that price includes. I live in Sunnyvale CA and am not aware of 888 Auto. Where/what is it? I'm looking for an LX Civic 4dr AT.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " What was the price of the 2006 Si very rare right now :)"

No sticker was on the car.
  • Options
    djg2djg2 Member Posts: 7
    Just put a deposit on an LX coupe AT through AAA buying service. Car to arrive end of month through Charlotte NC dealership. Delivered price $16,350 + $165 fee to AAA +TTL. I got quotes from a dozen dealers in NC, VA, and SC and this was the best price I could come up with. I just noticed that the CarsDirect price for this car in NC has come down $400 in the last week or so, so supply must be loosening up. Hang in there and good hunting. ;)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, Pilots are selling very well. People come and look at them, drive one and leave to check out the competition.

They usually come back and buy the Pilot. Ridgeline sales have certainly perked right up as well!
  • Options
    Has anyone dealt with any of these New Jersey Honda Dealers?
    Clinton Honda
    Phillipsburg
    Princeton
    Autosport Honda (Bridgewater)

Clinton has not been very receptive on pricing, $300 off msrp.

Princeton on line has alot in stock.

Any ideas on when prices will come down? This is a mainstream compact car.