Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• junaidjunaid Member Posts: 18
    To get an idea on the cargo space take a look at a picture here.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Freelander_problems.htm

Remind you the problems mentioned in the web page are for the european version. The NA version is 70% new.

• bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Aw, Tincup you wouldn't flame me would you?

I appreciate the comments you made and understand the enormous engineering problems that placing the Duratec would encounter. It just seems like an inferior engine (HP and Torque wise) compared to what is out there int eh marlet place. I mean, you can get a Liberty with better gas mileage and more power for about the same money. Just one comparison.

Do you have any thoughts about my other comments?

Anyhow, anything big happening at FOrd today? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Have you decided what you'll eb doing when PAG moves out west?

Bob
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    You're certainly right about the numbers, but good engines are about more than numbers. I think the best way to compare vehicle to vehicle is to drive them. Also as I said the Freelander is late to the market, in a couple of years I'm sure the Duratec and the Liberty's engine will be overshadowed by a newer one. As far as your other comments on the door strength and trim, I can see your point but don't necessarily agree. I do agree about luggage space, it is on the short side.
    On your personal questions, it's business as usual here. Also my job is not moving to California, only marketing functions are. Anything to do with product support is going to Mahwah N.J. and I'm probably going to go.
    Yesterday I spent over 90 mins at the Land Rover dealership, test driving the freelander and discussing various points on the vehicle. Here is my feedback.

1. Engine: Its the smoothest engine I've seen in its class. The sportronic makes it more fun. I took it for a top speed of 90 mph, thats the max the evening traffic could allow. Hoever it does force you to shift to 4th gear for passing at over 60 mph. This is where I felt a 25 hp more would have definitely helped.

2. Interior: I am extremely impressed with the command position. It has a royal touch with a sports car feel. I guess the long dash serves a purpose here. I liked the cup holders, but I am not sure how long they'll last, because the one in the test model was conked up. I do agree on the arm rests. When they call the freelander as a luxury mini sport-ute, they shouldn't miss such minor things. The front seats are good, the rear seats are comfortable for two, but are cramped for three.

3. Exterior: It is very stylish with chiselled features. It was sure turning some heads during my test drive.

4. Cargo: I wish freelander was a few inches longer to increase the cargo space. This is definitely the most negative point about this vehicle. I liked the remote lowering of the cargo door window. Its cool, but the remote only opens it doesn't close it, you need to hold the key in the door until it closes, that sucks.

5. Price: Its little expensive though but I feel the S is more value for money than SE and HSE especially when the dealers are changing nothing less then the MSRP.

6. The Brochure: It just sucks. Couldn't they do a better job with it. Since the vehicles are not yet launched, they should have put more pictures especially with the different colors. The interior trim and the dash board color is very confusing, I couldn't figure out which model will get which color on the trim and dash. The Jeep Liberty has a much better brochure.

Overall I am impressed with this vehicle, but I am having a tough time deciding between S and SE. I just don't find it worth to spend $2800 more for just leather and few other minor upgrades, which I think I could get it after market for half the price.

Chuck, your thoughts and views have been very helpful. Thanks. I do have couple of questions.
    1. A guy at the dealership said that LRNA might change the specs to include the arm rests. Is it true?
    2. Will it be possible for you to find out whether the beige dash is available on the S model? Also which exterior colors will have which color on the dash, beige, black or grey?
  • bigshotlabigshotla Member Posts: 29
    For the record, we went with the S for all the reasons you stated. It wasn't worth it just for leather (which I don't like, plus the cloth seats are leather trimmed) and the radio controls on the steering wheel. I really would have liked the roof racks and sunroof, but the roof racks seem to be just for show - and the sunroof would still be a $850 add on even at that level. Paint colours seemed a bit nicer too on the SE, but I've never cared that much about colour. The baldness does bug me just a little, looks more like a CR-V without the racks.

Plus, it's a new car to the marketplace and to be careful we're going to lease for a couple of years. If we love it - then maybe we'll upgrade.

Do you know if it'll be possible to add a true, usuable roof rack after market?

Ironically, our current car just got smashed up in an accident, so we'll be driving a rental until the Freelander comes in. Let's hope it's on time!!
    You are right, the baldness does concern me too. In the freelander website, when you pick the S model, they show it with the roof racks although they change the wheels. Again thats confusing.

There are lot of roof rack dealers who would fix a rack according to your needs and car specs. However, since there aren't many freelanders on road, the rack dealers may not know which racks would fit best. Anyways, here are few dealers

http://www.therackshop.com/

http://www.rackattack.com

http://www.rackzone.com/
    Another thing which I am finding it difficult to understand is why would LRNA introduce the internet ordering at MSRP when you could pick the same vehicle at the dealer if its available in his lot for the same MSRP, unless you want the Mote Carlo Blue. Here are my comparisons.

Internet ordering
    1. price = MSRP
    2. 4 months wait time
    3. $1000 deposit (atleast my dealer is asking)
    4. Monte Carlo Blue
    5. The website was introduced in Sep, so the earliest date you would get your vehicle is Jan.
    6. IPO certificate, matts, key chain.

At the dealer
    1. price = MSRP
    2. no waiting, unless you don't find your color and options.
    3. The earliest you could get is Dec 02, if you find your choice.
    4. No deposit.
    5. You see the vehicle and then you decide to buy or not.
    6. Matts (atleast my dealer would include)

With very few options on the S and SE trim levels, the chances of not finding the vehicle of your choice at the dealership are very slim.
    If LRNA had offered the vehicle at invoice thro' internet, then it would've made more sense. With not many big advantages of ordering thro' internet, it sounds more to me like a marketing gimmick than any thing else.
    I suspect that getting the vehicle at MSRP in all areas is going to be difficult, especially at first in cities that only have 1 dealer. If demand is high in an area, expect ADM as margin is not as high on Freelanders as they are on Discoverys and Range Rovers. The IPO guarantees you will not pay more than MSRP. Also the first few months there will not be a large supply of Freelanders available, and most will probably be SE's. The people who did order on the IPO can specify the trim level, track their vehicle and tell when it will arrive. And there is no requirement to take the vehicle after it arrives and you don't like it, your deposit (if required by dealer) is totally refundable.
    do you have any info on my earlier questions on arm rest and dash color?
    still checking
    The info is in the brochure, but you'll get eyestrain trying to see it. I strained mine and came up with the following info.
    S Model Colors
    Exterior Color Interior Color

Chawton White.. Ash Black or Smokestone Grey Cloth
    Epsom Green.. Ash Black Cloth
    Icelandic Blue. Ash Black Cloth
    Java Black.. Ash Black or Smokestone Grey Cloth
    Rutland Red.. Ash Black Cloth
    Zambezi Silver. Smokestone Grey Cloth

SE Model Colors
    Exterior Color. Interior Color

Chawton White.. Ash Black or Smokestone Grey Leather
    Epsom Green.. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Icelandic Blue. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Java Black.. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Monte Carlo Blue* Ash Black or Smokestone Grey Leather
    Oslo Blue.. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Rutland Red.. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    White Gold.. Ash Black or Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Zambezi Silver. Ash Black or Smokestone Grey Leather
    Bonatti Grey.. Ash Black with Alpaca Beige Leather
    Alveston Red.. Smokestone Grey Leather

HSE Model Colors
    Exterior Color Interior Color

Chawton White. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    Epsom Green.. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    Java Black.. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    Oslo Blue.. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    White Gold.. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    Zambesi Silver. Alpaca Beige Leather/Black Trim
    It looks like S and HSE get Black dash only. No other color combinations are available.
    I did go thro' the same stuff in the brochure straining my eyes as well, but I did not find any specific info on the trim and dash color for S models unless ofcourse its assumed that black is the default.
    I wish they had made the beige as the default, it sure looks nice. Anyways, thanks for the info.
    Yeah, black is the default. But it's pretty nice. Smokestone seems to only be available on the colours you have to pay extra for! I don't see beige being availabe on any of the S. Since we ordered the Blue, Grey would have looked nice, but it's not available.

Maybe later, once demand dies down, you can special order exactly what you want. Dunno.

We initially ordered on-line, but when we went into the dealer, he had exactly what we wanted coming in December (instead of February). Since we're X-plan (fingers crossed no last minute weirdness), we shouldn't have to deal with any Dealer Markup. I wish there was still a way to track the vehicle, tho....

Thank you so much for the rack info. That'll solve my baldness issue. :-)
    Since there is nothing going on in this forum, I thought I would bring some new information. Sometime later next year BMW is launching X3 and Mitsubishi is launching ASX/Air Trek as 2003 models, which seem to be a good competition to Freelander. Air Trek is already on sale in Japan and seems to be doing well there. And X3 would be a smaller version of X5 and would be priced around $30k. 2002 must be an interesting year for all these mini cross-utes. Land Rover definitely delayed the lauch of freelander by 2 years atleast. They should have been here long time back to capitalize on this sensitive market.
    I agree with you, but Land Rover was a small part of the Rover Group, which was under control by BMW. During the last two years of BMW ownership there was a large internal reorganization of Rover Group that led to delays in development of the changes necessary to make the Freelander competetive in the U.S. marketplace. As it originally was not designed for the U.S. market (in the early 90's, who knew that a small Sport utility would sell?) there were several issues that needed to be addressed. Unfortunately, the internal turmoil caused by reorganization under BMW, and the subsequent split from Rover during the sale to Ford led to delays in getting it on the market.
  • smichsmich Member Posts: 31
    Hi everyone!
    Tracked my order today and found that my Freelander is now "in production". I hope that same message shows for all of you too.
    TINCUP: I notice in reading the LR Discovery discussion group,owners of discos have names for their vehicles. Is this a tradition ALL LR owners have or just disco owners?
    Just curious....in case I need to start thinking about a name for my Freelander.
    I have found that any vehicle that inspires the feelings that Land Rover owners tend to have for their vehicles tend to be named by their owners. So feel free to name it, I have had several vehicles that I felt fond enough of to name.
  • elfieelfie Member Posts: 47
    Do you know what date the FL will be arriving at dealerships?

Thanks!

Jackie
    There is a target date of each dealer having 1 in stock by 11/21
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Land Rover Debuts Compact SUV

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • freelanderpafreelanderpa Member Posts: 20
    My salesman called today to say my Freelander is due about Dec. 12, maybe sooner. I also received in the mail from LR a special keychain (numbered 184) for placing an IPO order.

John.
  • ankleroomankleroom Member Posts: 13
    I just received the new AutoWeek, which reports that a special-edition Freelander was shown at the SEMA show.

Callaway presented the "Freelander Supercharged -- Performance by Callaway” with a supercharged version of the 2.5L V6, producing 250hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. It supposedly goes 0 to 60 in 7.7 seconds.

It is not clear whether this model will be available in the U.S., but Callaway has gone to production with a limited-edition Range Rover before.

-ankleroom
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Speaking of eye strain,lol after just reading all these 372 threads , I belive i recall you saying the quality esp in the Disco has greatly improved in just the last few months ?? Can you elaborate a little further with this ? If u did and i missed it i appoligize in advance.

Regards,
    DL
    Hi all !
    just a quick update...the LR dealer in Chicago has about 4 of the S models in stock with more on the way. The sales rep said the SE models should be in stock in a couple weeks. However when I asked him if I could drive a Freelander on the off road track he told me he tried but the vehicle does not make it over the rocks :(
    TINCUP didn't you drive a Freelander on the LR off road track ? How did it do?
    They're being sold now in the Los Angeles area. Each dealer seems to be selling the car differently (one is letting you drive off now, one is adding a $3000 premium to drive off now, and one is delivering the cars on Dec.1). But, you can get practically any combination of trim and paint, including the Monte Carlo blue. Which, BTW is absolutely GORGEOUS.

We've hung the sold sign on a Silver S, with Smokestone interior. It's much neater and cleaner looking than the black, which already shows signs of being a lint trap on the showroom models.

X plan is still confusing for dealers - we seem to be okay, but knock on wood. Hopefully we'll have a resolution soon (in the form of a Freelander in our driveway!).

FYI, apparently Santa Barbara dealers don't charge advertising fee.
    Hey there Bigshotla, former Santa Barbara greetings to ya!

Smich
    small world! What a great town SB is, but it's a bit of a way to go to save $300. (Plus there's this hideous detour off the PCH through Oxnard that's insane these days - you know what I mean, sorry everyone else).

Recommend the Thousand oaks dealer for anyone in the LA area. They have a few in stock, but haven't sold one yet.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the info on the dealers around the So. Cal area. I think I might go down the mountain next weekend to Santa Barbara and check them out! I'd much rather drive the mountain roads to Santa Barbara than head into Thousand Oaks. I spend too much time down around LA during the week working!
    Why is this board so dead?
    I took a FL for a quick spin when I was visiting relatives over the holiday.

I loved the car! It was perfect. I have call into my local LR dealership to see what they have or are getting, so hopefully, may buy one soon.

Has anyone else taken a test drive?

Jackie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We were all waiting for elfie to get back from FL and tell us all about the trip! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tincup,
    I know you are not in the finance end of LR, but I "IPO'd" a Freelander and would like to take advantage of my EAA membership to purchase this vehicle. Am I locked in on the IPO price?

And for MTNGAL and BIGSHOTLA ...I highly recommend the Palace Cafe next time your in SB ! I miss that town.
    I know you aimed this at Tincup, and of course he knows better than I - but ordering through the IPO doesn't lock you into anything. You don't even have to buy the car from that dealer if you don't want. The best thing is to have an honest talk with your sales rep, he'll either say yes or no. (They seem to like being told X plan up front, but it's too late for that now) Then call around - maybe another dealer has your exact car and will sell it for x plan price. The dealer will have no trouble selling your IPO'd car with or without you.

We've been totally upfront with all the dealers we've contacted, and in a very subdued way, they're competing for our business. Apparently we can pick up our car today at 5:00 - so I'll let you know if there's any last minute X plan failures.....
    I told my local dealership about the X-plan. First they said fine no problem. Then my rep called back and said no because it's a new car. But, I mentioned that the Las Vegas dealership was willing to do it and he called back and said they would, but he "had to twist his manager's arm".

So, I'll see when I get there. I think they are going to try and sell me undercoating and stuff because they won't give me a final price over the phone.

I'll be buying it either this weekend or next depending on when my CD comes due at the bank.

Not sure if this helps, but if your dealer says no one will honor the X plan, just tell them that the Sacramento & Las Vegas offices will.

Hope this helps.

Jackie
    I had a great trip! Won some money in Vegas, spent the holiday with family and got to drive the car I've been waiting for.

It doesn't look like the Freelanders are flying off the lots, not like the CRV's at any rate.

Both dealerships I've been too have had their cars for a week and haven't sold any yet. Good thing for me since that means I get the car I want.

Jackie
    The Freelander's in our driveway, and all's well that ends well. We did it through the X-plan, not one hitch in the whole process.

Highly recommend Hornburg Jaguar on Sunset Blvd. in L.A. They were on the ball all the way through. Matt Thomas, our sales agent, was always helpful and a gentleman. Of all the dealers we spoke to, we just kept going back to Hornburg, and to Matt.

Yay! Now - any tips on breaking in the engine?
    CONGRATS!!! What color did you get?
    silver, with grey interior. Big hit with the valets, but haven't seen another one on the road yet.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    So now that you have been driving it for a couple of days, how is it? Have you tried to go anywhere interesting (maybe the snowy mountains) yet? Or a freeway report - such as how does it handle the expansion joints.

Thanks!
    I just bought my Freelander on Saturday.

I absolutely love it! There was a pretty nice storm here over the weekend so I got to see how the FL handled in the rain in wind. I didn't feel most of the gusts - a couple of the major ones gave me a little push.

Have to say the buying experience was great as well. No pressure, no tatics. Just sign and drive.

No regrets!

Jackie
    Glad to hear you are happy with yours, hope you have many trouble free miles.
    Congrats to all you guys who got their Freelanders. I am sure you must be having lots of fun. Just one question, you guys think that the HK audio is really worth that money. How much really does it score over the base system. And you think an after market equipment would do a better job?
    I have the basic system in my FL and it sounds great.

Of course, I'm not the 'hear my car 6 blocks away' kind of girl, so you should try it yourself and find out if it works for you.

Jackie
    Glad to know that the base audio works great for you. The problem I have is, all the models at my dealer are equipped with the HK system. And to be frank, I wasn't quite impressed with it for what it costs. The Infinity system in my current car sounds better. Hence I thought if the base is good enough I'll live with it for a while and get it upgraded sometime later. I guess I'll wait till my dealer gets a FL with the base audio.
  • kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    I have a Disco but was getting it serviced when I noticed these new little trucks. They have about 6 of them on the lot. They only had S models but they were very cool. The sticker on all of them was about 25,000. Pretty interesting vehicle at that price point. Personally, I love my DISCO but liked the Freelander design.
    It's been over a week, and the car is more fun to drive than ever. It was very assured in the rain and minor flooding and I feel incredibly safe. To address a couple of questions:

Re: HK stereo. Don't need it, I think. The sound isn't THAT much better. Having the controls on the stereo is very convenient, but they're still pretty rudimentary (volume, scan, that's it) . Poor radio reception is a basic problem, and the whole car rattles when the base gets heavy. (What's the point of a subwoofer if it just rattles?)

Little quirks that bug me:
    -Heater blowing on right gas pedal foot only.
    -Airflow through vents localized in central panel, the side vents very wimpy.
    - weird condensation in the subwoofer compartment
    - lots of little rattles and highway noise
    - gas mileage (not a surprise)
    - window controls are taking time to get used to.
    - no manual

Also, the key won't work in the driver's door and the rear door. We're supposed to get the manual and floor mats soon, so hopefully we'll get that fixed then.

How are they selling? I've only seen one other on the road so far..,
    You should have received your manual by now. I got mine when I bought the car Dec. 1st and they had literally just arrived that day. They come in a nice little case :-)

I haven't noticed to many rattles on the freeway but I also didn't get the upgraded stero system. I do love the way it handles in the rain and wind, I feel very safe. Much more so than in the little cars I used to drive.

Only problem I have had so far is my gas guage isn't working correctly. Keeps telling me I have more gas that I really do, but I am taking it in next week to get fixed.

Still waiting for my floor mats but other than that, I am very happy with the car and SO glad I didn't buy the CRV.

I haven't seen any others on the road where I am and my dealership had only sold one other before I picked up mine. Of course that may have changed.

Jackie
    Land Rover sold 168 Freelanders in the one week in November they were available. This was with no national advertising of the vehicle.
    Tincup!
    I checked my IPO track and it shows the vehicle is in route to retailer! When Land Rovers are shipped to the States, what port do they come into? So I know how long it takes to get to Chicago.
    Thanks!
    Land Rovers come into three ports in the US, Baltimore, Md., Brunswick, Ga., and Oxnard, Ca.