Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your Jetta. I just visited the Jetta forums and saw the pictures. Made me upset just looking at them, so I can imagine how you feel.

In regards to the Altima, I would be wary of the early-production '02 Altimas. Mine was built in November 2001 and I have had several small teething problems with it, such as a squeaking clutch pedal, a staticky radio, and clunky rear shocks. Nothing terrible, just annoying. More importantly, the 4-cylinder engine in the '02s is prone to burn oil if it isn't properly broken in (which as a rental it probably wasn't). This issue was fixed in the '03s.

If you can afford it, I think the '03 model is a safer bet.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    if you haven't already, post your message about the Altima in the "Real World Trade-In Values" thread. Terry (rroyce) can help you there.
  • paula0612paula0612 Member Posts: 12
    Hello, I will be purchasing a new 04 Nissan Altima when they come out this summer. I have been wanting the Altima in the Super Black. I just found out today(from another Consumer)that Nissan does NOT put a clear coat on the black or white color cars. I would like to know if this is true and if it is true, should i go for another color. I did have my heart set on black. please help. thank you Paula
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Thanks for your opinions. The car's brake rotors were warped, I could feel it in the pedal. They said they would take care of that though.

As far as rentals, they stop service around 25K miles nowadays, around here in MD anyway. I just had a Suzuki XL7 with 23K on it, and had a car with 28K on it before as rentals (don't remember what the 2nd was though).

I cannot afford an 03 and am not willing to take the initial hit in value either, so a low mileage used one would be the only option right now, especially since I didn't anticipate having to get a new car since I just bought one 18 months ago...
    Paula,

I am about 80% certain that all Altimas are clearcoated. I was under the impression that all modern cars are clearcoated from the factory, but I could be wrong. If you want to be sure, try asking Nissan Consumer Affairs. I would not ask the dealer since they have a vested interest in telling you otherwise (so they can sell you the "paint protection package").
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    Anyone who buys a BLACK car is one BRAVE puppy in my book... I'd never be able to keep the car looking clean.

I bought a Silver one cause it appears the easiest to keep clean -- surprisingly better than white or sand colored. You is one brave chickie Paula.

By the way, I "heard" (don't know if it's true) that Nissan might be going to the RED (instead of clear) tail lights on the 2004 Altimas -- which I do think looks better on black.

Might want to check out Active Tuning for a grille though, I hate that new "toothed" grille they'll most likely be putting on it now... I also like the Trenz or Precision grille if you like the "chrome" look.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I've owned my 03 Super Black 2.5S for about seven months and couldn't be happier. With the exception of a minor seatbelt glitch and a rattle in the truck ((which I fixed mmyself) the car has been totally reliable. 22 city 30 highway.

I don't know about clearcoat on the black but I would agree that it is most unlikely that it is not clearcoated.

I've heard all the warnings about how difficult it is to keep a black car clean, but I frankly have had the opposite experience. Even when moderately dirty the car appears to shine and still look impressive. My feeling is that light metallic cars just look plain dull when dirty and aren't all that great looking when in that condition.

Anyway, check out the clearcoat issue if you want but personally I'd grab the black. This is my first black car and I had mild trepidation about this issue. Now I feel that black would be a priorty choice for me on future cars unless of course I end up moving to a hot climate (desert southwest-Florida) where it might be a bit too uncomfortable to drive.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    Gotta agree with Ultima on the color thing. I've owned a couple of black vehicles. I also currently have a dark blue truck and it's almost as bad. The dark colors are super sharp when clean, but impossible to keep that way. Go with Silver (best) or White if you can't stand the sight of a dirty car or want to be able to occasionally skip the weekend washing.

If you do go with black, invest in one of those California Duster's or whatever they're called. They do a fairly good job with dry road dust and pollen. Especially if you keep the surface nicely waxed and polished.

Having said all that, I still would consider black for a vehicle color. Freshly detailed, it is irresistible looking on most vehicles.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I hope they don't change the tail lights... thats one of my favorite things on the altima it sets it apart from the rest of the crowd... I think if people don't like it they should just off replacement switch off covers... sortta like cell phones... but not... oh well... still lookin at cars againl.... IRK this time though I'm not having any fun.... dealors are begining to get under my skin... considering another 3.5se altima, a 04 CTS with the new 3.6 engine or a G35, but thats sortta last on my list.... oh well.
    If you can swing the G35, I'd go for THAT!!!

I absolutely LOVE that car -- and apparently so do many of the Magazine Editors.

The CTS would probably be more "luxurious", but I doubt it would be as much FUN as the G35.

One of my neighbors got a Silver G35 Coupe and sometimes parks it in front of my house -- drives me friggin CRAZY cause I keep wishing I could run outside and hop in it...

Also road up on a new 350Z today -- man, that car is SWEEEEEEET to. Awesome, just plain awesome!!!
    Also... Heard Acura is redesigning the TL -- might want to look into that.

I really like the Acura TSX too, but am kind of bummed they only put a 4-banger in it and the torque is kind of low -- nothing like the Altima or G35 as power goes... But hear it's a nice driver (have had a chance to drive one yet).

Also heard good things about the Lincoln LS and Saab 9-3, but I know very little about those cars.
    Just read online the Acura TL isn't scheduled for redesign till the 2005 model... sorry.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    There are pics of the new TL on Vtec.com and there are also spy pics of a TL driving around at night.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It is either bogus "news" or the new TL could be labeled as an '05 model if it comes out any time after January 1, 2004.
    Another note on Acura is that they are going to drop the CL. I think after 2004 or maybe it's this year, I forget. I read it in one of the multitude of car mags I get monthly. Too bad. I'm guessing the new Accord Coupe w/6-spd probably hastened it's demise.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Does anyone know if the 04 Altima will have navigation? And, does anyone know when the 04's will be coming out?
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    Navigation is the one thing I wish our Altima had... I had asked the dealorships in 03 when we baught our first Altima and they said they didn't know but it could be possbibe for 04, it depends... welp the 04CTS is getting an engine upgrade to 3.6 and a 255 HP which isn't bad..theres also the CTS V series which has the V8 in it and like nearly if not more than 400 HP but I don't need that one... and the price one that I know is in the 40's with the V8 engine... so if the price stays the same or relatively I should say with out spiking the 3.6 will probably be what I get cause the 3.2 is said to only come with a manual.. and the 3.6 the AUto, which in mid 04 05 would cahnge to just the 3.6 and the V8... if it changes too much then I'll thinkin I'm gonna go with the 4 door G35 is the way to go... I like'm both...
    Here's where I read it...

Source: http://www.motorists.org/ericpeters/newyork.html

* 2005 Acura TL: The big question here is will the next generation Acura luxury-sport sedan that's due in about two years be rear-wheel-drive? And will it finally get a V-8? Probably not. Like its predecessors, the next TL will likely remain front-wheel-drive, and offer V-6 power -- though pumped-up considerably, probably in the 250-hp range. Whether this will be a handicap in a segment where the majority of luxury-sport sedans are rear-drive and many offer available V-8 engines remains to be seen.

But it's a pretty car, nonetheless. Like a gymnast or sprinter in one of those lycra body suits that lets you see every muscle. For the 40-something types who'll be buying this car, it'll be like picking up a hot 22-year-old for a fun weekend on the sly at the no-tell motel. It's made to make its owner feel young even if the salad days are long gone.

One feature that's neat but which probably won't make it through to production is the replacement of conventional windshield wipers with air jets built into the cowl that shoot high-pressure air onto the windshield to clear rain and even snow. Does it work? I'd love to try it and see!
    I had the same question about when the 2004's will be coming out. I e-mailed Nissan Co. and they said Sept/Oct. I already know that I will be purchasing 2.5SL model in Super Black with blonde interior. It seems September is just not coming quick enough for me.
  • m2icemanm2iceman Member Posts: 27
    I have a Super Black and have had it for a year now. I LOVE the car and dont mind keeping it clean. The thing that I have found that makes it easier to keep up on it is a absorber. I wash it and then use a McGuires Wet wax every 4-5 washes and then use the absorber to dry it. If I get alittle dust on it, I can just spray it down and then use the absorber. I have modified it a bit, but its enough to make it different, but keep it the same.

Mike
    WWW.Altimas.net
    "I already know that I will be purchasing 2.5SL model in Super Black with blonde interior."

Paula... I would STRONGLY suggest you get a 2.5s (with the "convenience package") and opt for AFTERMARKET LEATHER. Others will back me on this -- the aftermarket leather is FAR superior to Nissan's leather, and it's actually cheaper (my two-tone custom leather was $850)

Also, when you get the "aftermarket leather", you can opt for two-tone (makes it look a bit classier). Additionally, you DON'T have to go out and find a company to do this for you -- the Dealer often works with companies they can sub-contract this to... After you buy the car, they'll just schedule a time for you to drop the car off so the work can be done.

I did this exact thing -- it makes a WORLD of difference...

(:-D
    I had a black Protege, and that thing STAYED dirty! It also showed scratches very, very easily, and it was hot as hell in the summer time. I will never have another black car after that!
  • chenkechenke Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have one of those roof boxes (Thule, Yakima, etc) on their Altima? I was looking at the Thule site, and it said that they did not recommend the use of a box on this car, though they didn't say why. I need some extra storage space since the kid was born.

TIA,

Chris
  • mgarridomgarrido Member Posts: 1
    2003 Altima SE, Sport Plus Package

Just picked it up from the dealer yesterday and when I get to about 60-65 mph on the freeway there is a distinct whistling noise. I checked that all windows are up and that the sunroof was completely closed also. Sounds like it's coming from the front windshield area. Anyone have a similar problem out there? Maybe a bad seal on the windshield?
  • lindabocalindaboca Member Posts: 1
    Lease on my 00 Maxima SE is up in a few weeks and seeing all 03 Maximas are gone in my area, considering the basic 3.5 Altima SE w/o a lot options. Read lots of reviews on cheap interior, noise level etc. and would appreciate feedback from "real people" using the car everyday. Gimme pros and cons pls.
    Hello Lindaboca, if you put in keyword Nissan Altima you will get a bunch of sites listed. go to the one that says Nissan Altima Prices and Reviews. on the first page of that site almost at the bottom, there is a spot to click on for consumer reviews and ratings. you will find loads of pros and cons on the nissan altima from real people. i hope this helps. Paula
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I have a 98 Altima automatic with 83K. My service engine soon(SES) light went on about 3 weeks ago. Each time I filled the car up with gas, the service engine soon light would go off, but only to reappear when the gas tank is down to abbout 70% full. The car was inspected while the SES light is on, and it passed emission testing with flying colors. The DMV guy said his computer could not make out this particular error code on my car. Other than this SES light going on, the car ran perfectly fine without affecting performance or fuel economy. Any suggestion on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.
         Also, the car had a new fuel filter and belts less than a year ago, and new platinum plugs 2 years ago.
    Not sure if this relates to your problem, but I know many newer vehicles will set off the check engine light if there's a problem with the full filler cap not seating properly. Since you mention it happens following a fill up I'm thinking the two may be related somehow.
  • rberardrberard Member Posts: 22
    We purchased a super black altima 2.5s for our daughter against my better judgement(about the color). The dealer recommended zymol wax. He also said never to wipe the car unless it was clean, as the particles on the vehicle would scratch the paint. We got the car on May 17th and have not waxed it yet. Was advised to wait at least a month. It allready has a few minor scratches and it hasn't been used very often, as she cannot drive by herself yet.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    One of the things I like about these Town Hall forums is reading about other peoples experiences in owning and test driving cars. This has really helped me narrow down my choices as I decide to buy a new car. Today I had the chance to test drive three cars at one of those credit union rental car sales: a Camry, Altima and Pontiac Vibe, all 2003 models with a/t and 4 cyl engines. I was able to take these cars out on my own (with no salesperson) for very extensive test drives (about 45 minutes each) on city streets (including some old brick ones) and the interstate. I thought I’d post my impressions on the cars in their respective topics here in the Town Hall. I guess some might say that test driving a rental car may not be fair because it is not the same as “brand new” and may have been abused, but I look at it as a way to see what a car might be like after it has several thousand miles under it.

Altima
    Let me start off my comments about the Altima with my favorite feature of all: the armrest! It’s one of those pop up kinds, which I think gives you a perfect driving position on long commutes, where each elbow can rest comfortably on something while your hands grip the wheel. I know it may sound lame, but I might have to buy this car just for this one feature.

On the other hand, many of the gripes I read from others about the interior are correct. There is lots of plastic, and not only that, but the plastic looks like cheap plastic. Normally this might not bother me, but the drivers side door is plastic, not cloth, so my knee kept rubbing up against this, which was kind of annoying. While I’m on the negatives, the automatic shifter took a little getting used to: you don’t press in a button first before shifting; you just slide it down a zigzag column. And the hood and trunk did not close with a nice thunk like on other cars. Finally, the radio was terrible! I can only hope that it was the basic one and that you can upgrade to something better if buying new.

Now on to more of the things I liked: The ride was great, very smooth and solid. It felt like a substantial car, although the brick roads I took it on drew attention to the Camry’s better suspension. The acceleration was fine, and although I could feel the a/t shifting gears, it wasn’t obnoxious. The orange instrument panel was sharp… I could get very used to this. The seats were excellent; one more reason why I think this would be a great car to take on long road trips. I also like the exterior styling. I’ve read that some people seem to think those clear rear lights are going out of style, but I like them. This car just looks “expensive” and high class on the outside. If I can get over the plastic inside, this could be my next car, if for no other reason than that armrest!
    I lost my car recently to vandals, so I was in the market for another one. I went to Hertz car sales, and found 02 Altima S models with 24-27K for $15,595, so I test drove one (they are loaded with pretty much everything but Bose and fog lights). I really did like the car alot, and even was able to live with the plastics inside.

Anyway, my question is this: Should I go for a new 2.5S (going for their $20,490 invoice now, according to CarsDirect) or pay $15,595 for this one with 26K or so on it? Also, Hertz does provide complete maintenance history of all their cars, as well as a 48 month/48K warranty (additional $900 though for the warranty), so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    My own predilection has been to buy new..and avoid the question of how the car has been used. With a rental at least you don't have to wonder "why" has the owner traded.
    Will there be new brake pads installed for you? Otherwise, this will be an expense to factor in the equation. How many miles do you drive a year, if it is say 12k you would "give up" two years of use.
  • kelly523kelly523 Member Posts: 18
    I would also recommend buying new. Sounds like the invoice price you got includes a convenience package, which has some nice to have stuff but to me wasn't compelling enough to buy. I have a 2002 2.5S without the package and simply bought aftermarket wheels when I was ready to do so. The invoice on a 2.5S without a package should be close to $17-18,000, so for that price it's a great deal. FYI - I've had mine for 15,000 miles and no problems to report. Yes, the plastic is somewhat inferior, but I don't sit on it and there isn't any under the hood when I press my right foot down.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    As I did more research on Altima's after my rental car test drive experience, I see that Nissan offers a nice steering wheel control option for the radio. etc. In fact, the "SL" model trim is loaded with lots of cool stuff like this, so I might end up getting one.

I also checked out another Altima forum and some people said the 2002's had some mechanical problems, so that might be another reason to get a 2003.
    The one at Hertz has the Convenience Package, and I like the wheels, trip computer, and keyless windows down. I would definitely want that package. What I REALLY want is a 3.5SE in that pretty blue color, but that's not happening unless someone else is kicking out some cash. :) Anyway, I would get the Convenience Package if I got a new one as well. The brake pads and rotors need replacing actually, I felt a little shudder. I told the salesman, and he said it would be no problem to switch that stuff out. That also just signifies that the car was abused, to have warped rotors within 25K miles. Also, that warranty would cover the car until 73K (25K already on it, and 48K additional), while the new one would be 36K/3 yrs. I drive 15-20K a year myself, BTW.

In addition, I have found 2003 Altima 2.5S models for around $18,500 or so in the MD area, so my question now is would it be worth paying an extra $3500 for a brand new car or not? I might be able to rope a lower rate on a new one, since they have 0% going on now, but that would be a large factor in the choice between new and used for me.
    I checked out CarsDirect.com and found that I can get a loaded Accord EX for a lower price than a new loaded Altima. My finances would be at close to their max with a new car anyway, so I will more than likely go with the used one if I decide to get one at all.
    Turns out my Jetta's a total loss because of the vandalism. I have exactly one week to get another car.

I am between a Camry LE or an Altima 2.5S. Both Budget past rentals, both 26K miles, but the Camry is $1000 less without alloy wheels, trip computer, and side airbags. Both include warranty to 75K miles as well.

What would you choose?
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Since your Jetta provided a fairly "athletic" driving experience, I'd think you'd be happier with the Altima. Assuming, of course, that you liked the Jetta driving experience. The Altima also leans toward the athletic side.

The Camry is also a very nice car, but it's not a very engaging drive. More of a highly accomplished "get you from here to there in comfort" machine.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I think at this time, after all the problems and all the driving you do, it would behoove you to get a non discript, easy to maintain car. You've had a couple of nice cars the past few years but, if it were me, I'd get the Camry and get on with things. We've had 2 Camrys and they are comfortable, economical machines and get the job of driving done, period!
    Just my opinion sir.

The Sandman :-)
    is it true that the 2004 Altima will not be out until early February 2004?
    Since, I believe, the Altima, Accord, and Camry are all reliable cars, I would say:

If sportinesss the prevailing factor, the Altima is a good choice.

If interior refinements, resale, and mileage are the prevailing factors, the Accord is a good choice.

I like the Camry, but refinements in the Accord are easily equal to the Camry, but with a more powerful engine. Though PERSONALLY, I believe the Camry "sedan" looks better than the Accord "sedan" -- but the Accord "coupe" looks better than the Camry "sedan".

I prefer the Altima's "looks" over the Camry and Accord, but that's just my personal opinion. Again, the Accord "coupe" (with its Mercedes-like rear-end) is a nice car -- but you will give up some room with a coupe.

Have you considered a 2003 Maxima (which can be had for about the same or less than an Altima), the Acura TSX, or a used Acura TL, used Infiniti G35, or used Lexus GS300???
    From the latest new I have heard at Freshalloy.com the 2004 Altima will not even get the facelift and that actually the 2004 will be a fairy short model year. Around April or March of 2004 the 2005 will debut and it will have a new interior, new grille, and other changes. I am not sure, but I was hoping it would be out by this fall. Oh well.
    I would choose the Altima over the Camry. I think both will be equally reliable, and I prefer the Altima's sportiness.
    Thanks, but I ended up getting a PT Cruiser. I work for DCX, and the deal they gave me was too good to pass up. Thanks again and good luck. :)
    According to Nissannews.com the 2004 Altima will remain the same for the most part. A new color will be added called Smoke.

Emissions are supposedly improved on the I4 models.

No other changes until March/April when the 05 is released.
    So, then the '05 might be worth waiting for if they don't make the grill ugly and they really do make significant interior quality upgrades. If the interior was made as nice as a Passat or even an Accord, then it will be nice.
    I think Nissan might still be reluctant to upgrade the Altima's interior because the new Maxima is so ugly. Even an Infiniti G35's interior is not that great for a $30K car.
    An Altima with a nice interior may cannibalize too many sales from the Maxima.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I really don't see the interior on the 03' as all that bad. Of course, I had the good sense to upgrade my 2.5S with an aftermarket leather interior. Sure it's got more plastic on the doors that I'd like, but I have absolutely no problem with the dash styling or quality and my light gray leather interior is great looking with the faux titanium trim.

Every day I get into the car with same smile on my face. Believe it or not I can't think of anything I'd rather drive (well maybe a Jag XK).

The 2.5 four's performance is every bit as good and as quiet as my last car which was a V6 Galant. The looks are awesome. Nissan family styling. So much so that the other day a guy driving a new Q45 pulled up next to me and asked me how I liked driving my new Q saying he liked his a lot. Amazing, a Q45 owner thought my Altima was a Q45. So much for the car not looking upscale.

One last thing. I've heard many here say how hard black cars are to maintain and vowing never to own another. Well all I can say is I only wash the thing once every couple of weeks and it shines all the time even after bad rain storms, etc. The car has been a breeze to keep looking good. Either the dealer applied some special coating and didn't tell me or black simply is no problem to maintian. I'm happy regardless.

Anyone who is waiting for an 05' might be well served to buy an 03' (especially with the rebates going on now) and just add aftermarket leather.
  • frank_cfrank_c Member Posts: 19
    My 2000 Altima just came up for its 30,000 mile service. The dealer quote was $ 530 which seems excessive to say the least. Then again, this quote covers greasing the door locks... A second dealer quoted $ 440, but the service department has a very dubious record.

My questions are:
    (a) Are some of the services such as replacing the transmission and brake fluids or engine coolant really necessary at 30K? Nissan does not require these services according to its maintenance booklet.
    (b) The car has been serviced according to Nissan specs and I would like to maintain a perfect service history. Are dealers required to perform a 30K service as described in the maintenance booklet and stamp the booklet?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Why don't you read the manual and see exactly what is required at 30k miles to maintain warranty coverage?
    You do not have to get the work done at a Nissa dealer. You can go someplace cheaper as long as they do the work and they document it on the work order.
    i am trying to decide on the color of the Altima that i want. i have it down to two choices that i am going back and forth with. either the mystic emerald or the sunoma sunset. it would be a really big help if i can get your input on the color that i should go with for what ever reason. also, if you have one of these colors, why you like it. the only drawback for me is that if i want the sonoma sunset, i will have to order it by august 1st or waite till the 2004's come out. i really don't mind waiting. thank you Paula
This discussion has been closed.