Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1303132333436»

Comments

• mascagnimascagni Member Posts: 1
    36500 is the number
  • generic4generic4 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at 2011 Sequoia (or Nissan Armada). Sticker on Sequoia Limited is $54K. (Gray w/gray leather, NAV, Heated front seats, Rear DVD system, auto lift gate, plus the basics) .

Wondering if anyone can offer a starting point for negotiations or have an idea what I might be able to get it for. I definitely need it to be under $50K. Any advice or help would be appreciated! 10 yrs. since purchased last car, so kind of out of car buying loop.
  • jose263jose263 Member Posts: 10
    generic4 -
    find the fleet mgr or internet sales person-stay away from the floor sales staff- ask for a copy of the invoice, which BTW already has reasonable profit (markups) built into the price.
    with a $54k sticker you should be able to get it well below $50k
  • amalfavonamalfavon Member Posts: 9
    first post here.. so please bare with me..
    im in so cal and i got an on line quote for a 2011 sr5 with the 5.7l engine with an msrp of 41180 for 39997. so then i went to another dealer and i got quoted 37813 for the same sequoia (they checked the local dealer inventory for me and found the one i got the first quote for me). the same dealer that quoted me the 37813 also quoted me a limited with a msrp of 50981 for 46348. i also got an extended warrantee quoted for the sr5 for 7yrs 100k miles for 1200 (bumper to bumper).. anyone find anything better?
  • bigkrngombigkrngom Member Posts: 7
    which dealer in socal gave you that quote for limited? im in the market for one... not sure if limited is worth the extra cost... do you get power lift w some limited?
    its the toyota dealer in the 90650 zip code..
  • lucorreialucorreia Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone recently purchased a 2010 Limited w/nav and DVD systems in the NY/NJ/CT area? If so, what was your out the door price? Thanks!
    ok..im just gonna post a little about my "buying experience" in the southern california area..im looking for the 4X2 sr5 model and they are no where to be found. but, if you go to a dealer and tell them what you want, they are all trying to get you into the limited or platinum. then, once you tell them what you want (again), they say they can get it for you by night time or the next day.... but there are really none on the lot.. REALLY! as for your choice of colors, it seems that you have only three colors (if you are lucky) to choose from. that would be the dark gray metallic, white and black (in that order of availability). the best price that i have been able to find so far is through the costco auto buying program at $500. under invoice. comes out to be 37313.
  • akbuyerakbuyer Member Posts: 9
    what dealer was this that you were able to get the quote from with the extended service contract?
    thanks,
    ok.. here i go. we pulled the trigger last night as we went for the one that was able to get our first choice of color..(my wife finally decided on the white). i had two dealers quote me 37313. i ended up finding one on line myself but one of the dealers didn't want to drive 80-90 miles to go get it and the other one did. turned out the one i saw on line was already sold but the color of choice was available 100 miles the opposite way in the san diego area.. toyota place in garden grove was where we made the deal. the 37313 price i got was going through the costco auto program as it was the best price i found regardless if it was through the internet or fleet dept.. it put the sequoia 500 under invoice. turns out, its the same thing other dealers quoted me going through costco... and we still got the 2yr oil thing that toyota has going on.
    as for the dealer that quoted me for the extended warranty, it was norwalk toyota. but i did not get the full details as far as what the deductible would be if service was needed.
    toyota place quoted me for a 7yr 100k mile warrantee with no deductible for 1500. toyota place made this purchase very easy for me. they gave me no pressure whats so ever ...and I actually apologized to them because i felt i put pressure on them. speak to thai in the internet dept. he made this happen.. and it was easy... and if you are a member of costco, use the costco program. but shop around because other dealers will only go 500 above invoice... looking for a black sr5? let me know.. i know where they are getting one on dec. 5.
  • rpexrpex Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from a dealer in Manassas, VA on this SUV.
    MSRP 44,486
    Cap Cost 41460
    36-month/15k lease

Residual: 21,715
    money factor: .00235

The residual and money factor are way off from what I was expecting (23,725 and .0018) based on internet research.

The price is good but they would not move on residual or money factor. They showed me various documents from Toyota that these are standard and immutable numbers.

Why should I believe these dealer documents? There seems not to be any accurate site where a consumer can look these numbers up.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    That is Wack!

You could lease an X5 or Mercedes GL for that much.
    for some reason the reply i posted earlier did not come up..
    going through the costco auto buying program, one of the dealers offered me an sr5 4x4 for 39600. i was told that price was $1000. under invoice and almost 5k below msrp. . i offered 39000. but the dealer said no.. i dont know if he was telling me the truth but he said there are certain guidelines from toyota that they (the dealer) must follow when dealing with costco customers.. so i told him i would meet him at 39300 and it was not accepted....
    its funny how things happen.. the day after i got the sr5 4x2, the salesman calls me up and said he can make the deal at 39300.
    i told him sorry but too late...
  • sequioa2011sequioa2011 Member Posts: 2
    best place to buy sequioa in Houston
    why is houston the best? thats a bland statement.. i posted my buying expierience (just like the board states)...now ist your turn to post yours..
  • sequioa2011sequioa2011 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get the SR5 with leather in the Houston area, I was wondering if anyone is dealing or has dealt with a dealership/sales person that they highly recommend.

Thanks
  • kb12903kb12903 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a Certified 2010 Sequoia Limited yesterday from Don McGill. We went through the Internet department and dealt with Kris Tate. Overall it was a very easy experience compared to any others we've had in the non-luxury car segment. I was pleasantly surprised. Kris was very straight foward on the deal and didn't play games. There wasn't any real haggling or back and forth to the manager's office. They gave us a realistic price for our trade immediately- and he had the car ready for us to demo upon our arrival at the dealership. They let us take it home over Sunday with no pressure at all. The price came down slightly (few hundred dollars) from the posted price on the web. We had them add a remote starter in that price and the deal was done.

I will say that the finance office gave us some questionable moments. There was a spiel about how Toyota's warranty after the first 12 months only covers "defects" but if something can't be proven as defective that it would not be covered. It honestly pissed me off that they basically said Toyota would not stand behind its vehicle and made it sound that we would be in a semantics battle over every repair. It was almost enough to make me walk from the deal and go find another SUV. My husband however, saw it as a scare tactic to press the extended warranty rather than a true stance from Toyota and so we proceded with the purchase. We also had to double check the numbers several times because we couldn't quite get things to match up. So, we brought the deal to a halt while we calculated everything ourselves. After several revisions and reprints, we finally signed and were on our way. Overall I would say we had a good buying experience with Don McGill. Just be cautious in Finance (as is the case in any dealership).

We also obtained quotes on new Sequoias from several other internet managers, and I will say all in all that it's definitley the way to go. There doesn't seem to be the game playing and you save yourself a lot of time and frustration doing the bulk of the search online once you decide what model you want. All of the internet sales people I dealt with were extremely pleasant and prompt in responding.
  • treedrivertreedriver Member Posts: 5
    I hope you're as happy with your Sequoia as I am with mine. Over the last 8 months I've put a little over 32000 miles on it. I didn't have any problems with the dealer when I bought my Sequoia but last month I bought my wife a Highlander and the dealer started playing games with the extended warranty. I told the dealer that if I did buy an extended warranty it would only be one offered by Toyota and not a third party. At the very end when I was signing the papers I notice that he had the paperwork on a third party warranty. I had to force the issue to get the Toyota warranty instead.

Overall the Sequoia is a GREAT car! It does like fuel though, so if your tight on money, this might not be the right vehicle. I've had mine in the snow as well as rain and it always handles predictably in every situation. Great brakes, plenty of power, tight turning and luxurious.

This was my first Toyota because I've always been a GM man. But i was so impressed with Toyota that as I said earlier I just bought another one. So far over the last 8 months I've spent 100k with these folks and I'm very happy
  • kb12903kb12903 Member Posts: 2
    It's great to hear you're still happy after 8 months. We're used to the gas mileage because we had a 4x4 Crew Cab that the Sequoia replaced. I think their gas mileage will be right about the same. This is my first Toyota, so hopefully our experience is as good as yours.
  • cpsc32cpsc32 Member Posts: 1
    Have owned Toyota's in the past but never long enough to hit 200,000. Looked at a 2001 Sequoia Limited with 200,000 miles tonight and wondering people thoughts on that. Is that a bad purchase with that mileage or do you current Sequoia owners think it has another 100k in it? Thoughts? Vehicle seems to be well maintained.

Thanks
  • 774774 Member Posts: 101
    I sold my 2001 Sequoia with 98,000 miles on it in 2009 after special ordering a new 2010 4x4 Sequoia.

Toyota puts a a great product but a 10 year old vehicle with 200,000 miles has seen its better days.
  • 2body1head2body1head Member Posts: 1
    Thank you Edmunds Forums for all your past help with vehicle information and its now time to contribute. Was originally going to go with the Costco Auto Buying Program for simplicity, but went on Truecar.com for kicks and giggles. You basically input what car you want with options. Got these price quote certificates followed up with some quick telephone calls from local SoCal dealers as well as a few email msgs. With the options above, the average price was $51,500, which was basically invoice. I asked one dealer if they would sell it for below $50K and to my surprise they said yes. So, went there and sure enough, tried to do the bait and switch with a similar car (everything but without the remote start). Dealer said they "just sold" the one with the remote start option. I started to walk out the door and told the "closer guy" that this he was the pure definition of why people hate going to the dealers and talking with a typical car salesman. Bottom line, after a few hours of insisting that a verbal agreement over the telephone should be honored, I got the car.

2012 Limited, Silver Sky Metallic, 4x2 with NAV, DVD, Remote Start and Pref Pkg (carpetted floor mats, cargo net, etc.) = $49995 plus T/L/Docs
  • bmandelbmandel Member Posts: 2
    Just adding my two cents....after calling a few dealerships in Orange County, pretty much every dealer could be talked into selling at invoice. We bought a 2012 SR5 with leather/lux package for $500 below invoice at Irvine Toyota. Important to note is that every dealer tried to sneak in the"TDA", or Toyota Dealer Advertising for $649, which has nothing to do with the invoice. Several dealers would not budge on that BS charge....we negotiated it out of the deal completely. MSRPof $46,255, price paid was $41,500.
  • fishermanzfishermanz Member Posts: 1
    I went to a local Toyota dealership (Towne Toyota, Ledgewood , NJ) to get a monthly lease quote on 2012 SR5 (no other options added). It came out to be $599/month + NJ tax (7%) which was rounded off at $640/month. This is with $2000 down + $500 toyota incentive running promo until April of this year and standard 12, 000 miles/year for 36 months. All the formulas that I know of- when plugging in the selling price ($41, 268) and residual value ($26, 181 instead of $24, 181 that they quoted) point to a payment of $500/month including tax. Where am I getting screwed in this equation??? Shouldn't a residual cost for 2012 Sequoia be more than 52% of the MSRP ($44, 780)? What's the lowest I can go on the final price of this SUV? Thank you all in advance for your posts.
  • lsuz20lsuz20 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought it through Sewell Lexus in Fort Worth. I worked with Christina Brown, and she was great to deal with. I am actually working in Brazil at this time, and had no issues with the purchase. I actually had my brother who lives in the Fort Worth area go and test drive it for me. He was very impressed with it, and said that it was in excellent condition.
    The only issue now is going to pick it up. I don't get home until the 25th of April. So I am flying my wife, mother, and son to Fort Worth, they will get to visit my brother in the process, and it is cheaper doing it this way than driving. You gotta love frequent flyer miles. :)
  • usa_bigsusa_bigs Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any recent success stories with a Sequoia purchase? Limited or Plat. 4wd.

Thanks.
  • txpackersfantxpackersfan Member Posts: 27
    I just purchased a 4WD platinum for $4,800 off sticker which turned out to be about $200 less than Edmund's TMV price. Still it was more over invoice than I wanted to pay. I tried the e-mail method of sending requests to multiple dealers looking for best prices. Very few want to budge on price and no one gets near invoice unless the vehicle is a demo with lots of miles. The offers that came back made me laugh ($1,500 - $2,000 off sticker). One dealer offered me a 2012 demo Platinum with 11,000 miles for $59,000 and wouldn't budge on the price. I quickly found out that buying a Sequoia is nothing like buying a mainstream high volume vehicle like a Camry. The volume is low so basic supply and demand allows them to still sell for a premium. Ultimately I found a dealer that had about 20 in stock which is very rare. I knew exactly what I wanted so went there with checkbook in hand and got the deal done in about 20 minutes. Good luck.
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    I have been looking for a new Limited with 2nd row captain chairs and after talking to several dealers, determined that a factory order was the only way to get what I want. Can't get leather in an SR5 with 2nd row captain chairs. I have been offered an invoice deal. It is close to the end of the production year, but the offer seems decent given the need to order. In So Cal area. Thoughts?
  • yipeokia1yipeokia1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm actually a 2012 Tundra owner visiting ; just purchased my vehicle with the SR 5 package- didn't have leather either- but for $ 2000, I had the TRW leather installed, with the brushed aluminum running boards, and heated seats. If I had waited for a limited - I would have spent like 6 k more.

You shouldn't have a problem doing a similar deal.

Pays to think outside of the box.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    OK, here is pricing for you right now in mid-Atlantic area. I just spent a week researching the same vehicle at 7 dealerships that had one on their actual lots. The vehicle is a 2012 Limited 5.7L V8 4WD with 2nd Row Bench seat, Navigation Option, Rear Seat DVD Option, and the Floor/Cargo Mats with Door Sill Protection. This is a pretty typical configuration out here, and the MSRP on this (which included the destination charge) is $58,725.

I was amazed at the range of prices in a 50 mile area around Washington DC. These are the last of the 2012s and we are right at the end of the sales quarter, but some dealers are still attempting to rake uninformed consumers for all they are worth. In getting my bids, I did not use Edmunds TMV pricing (too high in my book), but rather sent emails directly to Internet departments, and then I go from there.

Here are the costs on this same vehicle in descending order. These reflect the dealers' best overall cost to me (i.e., including all the hidden little costs). The only thing you would add to any of these numbers below is the tax (3.2% in VA) and the tags (~$75).

So, this is a true apples to apples comparison of pricing on the same vehicle:

$54,955
    $54,867
    $54,442
    $53,918
    $53,452
    $53,429
    $52,727

I obviously went with the last one (which was an advertised online price believe it or not). I then negotiated it down to $52,139. It was not a demo and had under 30 miles.

My out-the-door price was thus 52,139 + 1,653 tax + 70 tags = $53,862!

This was a great price for a week's worth of email work. $52,139 is far under invoice on the vehicle ($54,139) as well as far under the TMV price. It was as close to true cost as you get.

If you look at some of the car websites that show the actual prices of recent sales in this area, my price is at the extreme end of the Below Market range. The one dealer asking $54,955 (a very large one with tons of advertising and lots of inventory in this area) was really out of line asking for that price, as I was out-the-door with my vehicle for over $1000 less then their price (which did not include taxes or tags).

The moral of the story: contact dealers directly, do your home work and go beyond these "recommended" fair prices you see on car websites. I saved thousands of dollars doing so.
  • jac1304jac1304 Member Posts: 33
    Wondering if anyone is looking or bought one recently? Prices seem to vary greatly from dealer to dealer. I am in PNW, any good dealers to work with up here? Also, anyone thinking of waiting and seeing what is next model; since this is end of cycle?

Invoice seems to be around 57,500. Any dealer holdbacks or incentives that I am not seeing?

Thanks
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    You might want to look at a QX56. Big discounts. Seems to a be much nicer vehicle.
  • jwh2ojwh2o Member Posts: 3
    Just got quoted $1,125 per month zero down for 36 months on a 63k msrp Platinum. I leased the same vehicle in 2008 for $675 back than. Anyone able to lease one for around $700?
  • childerjchilderj Member Posts: 2
    $57,100 out the door on a 2013 Platinum, Black with Red Rock interior. Added remote start for $350, fender flares for $750 which was dealer cost. Very happy with the car so far.
  • jlaird325jlaird325 Member Posts: 2
    Childerj,

Thanks for posting....

Could you please elaborate on where you purchased and more details on the vehicle....

I'm being quoted 57k on 2012 models...platinum 4x4....

Thanks
  • childerjchilderj Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car in Greenville,SC. I kind of lucked out in they quoted me the 57k number on a 2012 but found out the one they could get was a demo with 6k miles. They ended up giving me a 13 to get the color I wanted. But it means they can go that low and still make money on a 13.

The vehicle is black, red rock interior with the other options I lited above. So far I love the car. It is so quiet compared to my MDX. It's bigger but not too difficult to drive.
  • echodaddyechodaddy Member Posts: 1
    Was quoted $56,900 for a 2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum, 2WD, Blizzard Pearl with Red Rock interior, dealer options include Remote Start, glass break sensor, and premium carpet mats. Just want some confirmation that this is a good price before we pull the trigger as we have never spent so much on a car.
  • colddudecolddude Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Just bought from Toyota of Berkeley, CA. Last of a new 2012 Platinum, 4WD, Metallic Gray, 50 miles, with floormats, $63K MSRP, paid $52,900 before tax/fees. Good experience overall.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to talk with someone who is in the market right now for a big SUV. If you think you can help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by the end of the day on Wednesday, September 11, 2013.
  • slimchadyslimchady Member Posts: 1

In the market for a 2013 or 2014 Sequoia 4x2 Limited and trying to get an idea of what people are paying / have paid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581

@slimchady said:
    In the market for a 2013 or 2014 Sequoia 4x2 Limited and trying to get an idea of what people are paying / have paid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581

I looked at Platinum 4x4. Deals were about $4,000-$5500 off MRSP on 2014. Limited availability at local dealers. End of the month and year suspect may be able to get a better deal. Dealer may be able to get one to your specifications from the port. Where I am, toyota is run by the Southeast distributor which can redirect a model.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.