Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT

Comments

• thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I have a turbo car from the same family and never had any trouble, if you want to feel extra secure use syntec oil during the hot season.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A 180TT WITH a manual transmission does not compete with a Boxster, Z3 or S2000. Even the 225hp version doesn't.

While I am a strong advocate of manual transmissions, the direction Audi has taken with the TT isn't that of a sports car. To that extent, their decision to drop the manual, while regretable, may not be as surprising.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I beg to differ. What do you think the TT's competition is then? It's in the same price class as the SLK and Z3 and all 3 are 2 seat luxury/sport convertibles. Yes, the front wheel drive limits its handling some, but it's still by no means a roomy luxury cruiser. And now that Audi will be selling an A4 convertible, the TT will obviously become the "sporty" convertible. If I were to buy a TT, it would be the front wheel drive 5 speed 180TT roadster. I live in Florida where I have no need for AWD and I feel 225 horses is more than I really need and I wouldn't like the increased boost lag with the bigger turbo. Audi, please reconsider your decision!
    I guess I would say that probably the closest competitors to the Audi is the SLK on the more expensive side and the Miata on the less expensive side. Perhaps even the Z3 2.5 and the CLK320 Cabrio, albeit not a two seater. These are the cars that I am guessing most people would cross shop with the TT as very attractive, but not high performance oriented, convertibles.

On the other hand, the Boxster/S, S2000 and M Roadster fall into the high performance sports car category. I doubt they get cross shopped with the Audi TT very often, but perhaps I am wrong.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    For what it's worth, I seriously cross-shopped the hardtop TT against a Prelude about three years ago. The coupe and Prelude were actually within spitting distance of each other in terms of size, room, style, etc.

I also know one person who has seriously cross-shopped a new 225hp quattro ragtop against a used base Boxster.
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    If there is such a catagory as high performance sports cars I doubt one would put the Boxster/S, the S2000 or the M roadster in that catagory. I think such a catagory would be made up of Vipers, Ferrari's and the like. To seperate the 225hp TT from a Boxster/S or S2000 into two seperate catagories by a mere 25 and 15 hp is a mistake. And if you look at the torque values and the rpm that they're developed at then that would be even a larger error. One needs to define high performance before mistakenly catagorizing cars. Just my thoughts.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I think the separation has more to do with suspension than engine.
  • cool_handcool_hand Member Posts: 4
    I just went saturday for a test drive and some lease prices. I got a price for leasing a fully loaded, $42,000+ 225, 20,000 miles/yr, 39 month lease, with only $1,000 out of pocket. They told me $590/month. I'll be doing some more shopping before I make a decision. I'm thinking of waiting for the 2003, so I can get a tip. I always burn out the clutch on manuals and this one might be quite costly. btw, my pricing was in New Jersey.
  • plm1plm1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm purchasing a 2000 Audi TT quatro 180 with 44000 miles. I'm not sure about the high miles. Will the engine endure for another 150,000 miles. What can you expect? Will the TT's last as long as the old VW's and Porsche's? Please help.
    You're both right. I meant to label the Boxter S, S2000 and M-Roadster as "high-performance roadsters". Their acceleration and handling abilities are what I was considering, not the actual horsepower or torque ratings. And yes, although they are not capable of competing with the acceleration of a Ferrari 360 Spider, they are considerably quicker than a TT, and the Boxster S and S2000 can match the Ferrari's slalom speeds.

Since my last post, I checked with a couple of folks who own TT's - two neighbors and a business associate. Interesting that both Roadster buyers (225 versions) cross shopped the CLK convertible and the SLK. When I asked about the Boxster or S2000, they responded "no", they weren't really looking at pure sports cars. As for the 180 coupe buyer, she actually traded a Honda Prelude and her other choices were an Accord Coupe or Audi A4, but decided she wanted a "sportier" looking car. I acknowledge that these three anecdotes hardly make a scientific study, but they do begin to confirm my gut feelings. I would be interested to see an actual survey of buyers of other cars to see what else they shopped. As a new owner of an M5, I would have thought it's biggest competition was an E55, but according to my dealer, it is 911. Go figure.
    Hope I don't come off sounding to defensive but you have to understand you're in TT territory. I guess you need to teach us all the definition of a "true sports car". If in your definition you say two seater you can rule out the TT coupe but be careful as all but two models of the 911 had two seats. I'd also be interested to know if you consider your M5 a sports car. Again be careful 'cause if I'm not mistaken I think it has four doors. Maybe its just a "sportier sedan". I am glad to know now that I at least drive a "sporty" car and one that can hold its own against a Miata. When I cross shopped for my TT the only other car on my list was a Corvette hard top. Go figure.
    I'm sorry, I think this thread is taking on more life than I intended. As I recall, it all started when a previous poster expressed surprise that the TT 180 was no longer going to be offered with a manual transmission and suggested that the TT 180 would no longer be able to compete with the Boxster, BMW and others. I simply suggested that, IMO, it doesn't compete with those cars now, but rather some other cars that have never offered a manual (CLK, SLK, Volvo C70,, etc.)

I am not the authority on the definition of a "sports car" and, more importantly, was never intending to disparage the TT by suggesting it wasn't a high performance oriented roadster. I just think the TT competes on different attributes than raw driving performance. And, based upon the satisfaction I've heard from several owners, it does so very well.

If you happened to cross shop a Corvette and went with the TT instead, it obviously wasn't based upon better raw performance, but rather the refinements and quality of fit and finish that the TT offers. Personally, I think you made the right choice.

As for the M5, its a two ton sedan. It happens to outperform my previous 911, but I would never call it a sports car. Even if it is a heck of a lot "sportier" than the E55 and S8.
  • ray1937ray1937 Member Posts: 1
    i check out all the magizines at barnes and nobles bookstores and so far find no audi mag. is there one anywhere?
  • jborden1jborden1 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry EPN2

My best friend has both an BmwM5, new Mercedes s-500, and Range rover 4.6. I have ridden in all and drive all as I allow him to do the same in our lexus gs430 and tt 225 roadster. I loved the mercedes and would take that above all. The M5 is cool and the engine sounds incredibe. but the interior sucks on the m5. At first I thought it was painted plastic then I saw its supposed to be a wood interior. We had a z3 before the audi and I have to say BMW's have the worst interiors of any car. I love how they drive but how many times do you actually use it to the fullest potential in the US. Granted we got the M5 up to 95mph in town before he slammed on the breaks. Even when my dad was test driving the e-430, 540i, and lexus gs430, the lexus had the superior interior. Call me crazy but don't you spend most of your time in the interior. So why "settle" for an crappy interior when that is where you spend most of your time, unless all you want is for people to see how much you spent on a car?

JB
    ..so your Mom has a TT and your Dad has a Lexus and your best friend has a quarter million dollar garage ensemble and you think the M5 has a "crappy interior"?

Since I'm probably about the same age as your dad, perhaps he and I should have a chat. I don't believe in reprimanding other parents' kids, but somebody should get you off whatever you are smoking.

Seriously, if that's your opinion, so be it. I actually agree with you that Lexus makes a great interior. Unfortunately, when you turn the key and actually drive it, its a little too Camry/Avalonish for me. Perhaps when you graduate, get a job and work your way up to affording to buy a car in this league, you'll see what I mean.

Good luck in school. And don't waste your ME degree in the automotive field. Think biotech.
    Boy am I dissapointed. Here we are trying to have a discussion on cars specifially the tt, and you bring personal attacks to the board. Sorry we don't share the same opinions on the cars, I was just stating that I thought the interior of the M5 was not where it should be for a 70,000 plus car. If this provokes you into a speech about kids today then I suggest you go to a mental health chat board.
    Anyway, our tt is going into the shop tommorow because it is idleing funny and shifting sluggishly. Hopefully we'll get it back soon.

Thats about it

JB
  • absolutelyred1absolutelyred1 Member Posts: 3
    epn2 - Lexus GS430 reminds you of Camry/Avalon? Whoa dude, what are you smoking?

Be nice to the young ppl. JB sounds like a fine young man to me.
    I'm glad someone finally reminded us all of the subject here, the TT. I'd like to bore you all with why I bought my TT. Maybe it will help others with their decision. I can't think of too many cars that offer what Audi has to offer at such a value. Great bang for the buck. The Corvette was my other choice, and yes while it had more guts than the TT it lacked too many other things. My main concern was winter driveability. Driveability equals Quattro. What an awesome system. I wish everyone could get the chance to dive the speed limit(?) on snow. Well enough of what I think. Let's all get back to talking about our (TT's) cars.
    We got the tt back and nothing was wrong. Mom was just imagineing things. One thing I have been wondering is about the saftey of a convertible and lightning. I've seen stories on Dateline and my physics teacher says that when your in a car its the metal casing around you that protects you, and not the common myth that its the rubber tires. Now if this is so is it unsafe to ride in a convertible even if the top is up? And adding to that what about a sunroof? Just wondering,

JB
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    I think there has been too much discussion about all these exotic sports cars (like the M5, 911, etc) here in the TT board so why don't we come back and talk about this very fun car that we all love so much.

I have a TT 180 roadster and this car grows on me. I like the very smooth, reasonably powerful yet refined and very efficient engine that powers my TT. It might not accelerate as quick from 0mph but once it revs up to 2000rpm or above, 5th gear at >40mph, I have ample power/torque to accelerate on almost any road condition, I rarely have to downshift for extra power.

The interior is great too, very sporty and detail-oriented. There is quite a bit of road-noise even when the top is up but that's kinda expected of a roadster anyway.

Overall, I've been really happy with this car. I test-drove the SLK, S2000, Boxster and Z3 before I finally took delivery of my TT and based on what I need, I think TT is by far the best choice for me.
  • tntt2tntt2 Member Posts: 6
    I am nearly two years into my TT driving experience and this is still a very impressive car to drive. I have a 2000 180 coupe with quattro and a APR chip. Clearly this car is not the fastest car on the road, but it really has a sporty feel. The turbo is what really does it for me. When the shifting is right it is not too slow off the line, and there is a nice kick in power at almost any speed just keep the rpm's over 2500. And let's not forget the style. The TT has always been about style. Two years later and for me there is still not a better looking car on the road. You have to go way up in price before anything is even close IMHO.
    Just curious about the TT coupe vs. roadster - is there much difference in handling, from those who have driven both. My neighbor is looking into getting a roadster - very much likes my S2000, but his wife doesn't drive a manual. We have a mutual friend who has a TT coupe, and he claims the roadster doesn't feel nearly as "tight" as the coupe. Is he right, or just prejudiced? I didn't drive a TT roadster extensively enough when I was shopping to have an educated opinion.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I have driven both, but as previously stated, I drive a coupe. I believe they handle about the same. Obviously the roadster is heavier. Starting with the 2001 models, Audi made the suspension slightly more forgiving and added the spoiler to amend a problem in handling the TT was having at excessively high speed on the German Autobahn. Since the roadster did not come out until 2001 perhaps this is the difference your friend is referring to. BTW, the original suspension is much sought after by fans of the TT and many think the car looks better without the spoiler.
  • ejhunterejhunter Member Posts: 4
    Hello all. I'm new to the board and my reason for being here is that I'm seriously considering the TT as my next vehicle. I currently own a 99 BMW M-Coupe, so I know a bit about high performance. My decision to go with the TT is not all about maximum performance, but what seems to be an ideal mix of performance and style. The only other option would be the BMW 330Ci, however the interior styling does nothing for me. The TT however, is a work of art inside and out.

Anyway, does anyone know what changes are planned for 2003. Is it worth waiting for the new model of should I buy one now. Also, what are the opinions of the 180 hp version vs. the 225. Quattro, or not. I live in the Southeast and I don't plan on driving in snow too often at all. Thanks for any comments.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    EJ: I've got a 2001 225 quattro roadster and love it. However, coming out of an M3, you'll probably want to get a "Stage 1" mod performed on your car. My dealer did such a mod which includes chipping the ECU, cold air intake, thermostat and some other mods. The tech claims an extra 40 hp and 35 ft/lbs torque. These numbers seem optimistic to me, but there is an obvious difference. Because my dealer performed the mods, I have no problems with getting the vehicle serviced under warranty.

As far as the quattro 225 vs. the 180 fwd, there's no comparison. Besides the obvious power differential, the usability of the power is much greater in the quattro. Wet or dry the quattro hangs on tenaciously. I lived in FL for 5 years myself and wish that I'd had my quattro on the rain-slicked, seashell-encrusted tarmac. Forget snow--drive them back to back in the rain and see the difference...
  • papadecamillepapadecamille Member Posts: 10
    You're lucky will not only let you do mods but actually make them for you!

Have you visited AudiWorld's TT forum?
    Papa: I responded to you earlier, but my post hasn't shown up. Anyway, my dealer was more than happy to sell me the performance package. In fact, he let me drive two different examples of the modified car--a "stage one" roadster and a 'stage two' coupe. I drove my car unmodified for about two months and then took it in. The difference in performance is remarkable and my fuel economy is about the same.

I can't give up the dealer's name because I don't want Audi investigating the situation--can't afford to lose that warranty!
  • papadecamillepapadecamille Member Posts: 10
    Had an opportunity to drive a 2000 180quattro coupe without the spoiler. Silver. What a statement of auto design. Literally takes my breath away. I may have to remove my spoiler.

Also, I hate to bring up this ancient post that I remember reading here over two years ago, but probably the fastest TT is the 180 fwd coupe. This is because of it being a little over 300 pounds lighter than the 225 coupe with quattro. Add an APR chip and another 35hp and you have a really fast sporty TT. Needless to say the roadster is heavier still. And while my car has quattro and I love it, the fwd TT coupe handles extremely well.
    As far as changes for 2003, the only thing I have heard is there will be an automatic transmission in some TT's this time around.

Lastly, for those looking to buy a TT, I would seriously look into the used market. I have just recently come across several used TT's with less than 25k miles that are selling for less than $25,000.
  • combysescombyses Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with the Audi Navi system? I have a 2001 TT Roadster. Frankly, the Navi system sucks. It is inaccurate and often gives bad directions. One time it just died on me and the dealer replaced it with a new unit.

I have complained to dealer a number times and they don't seem to find a problem. I think it is their Blaupunkt system. It is the pits. Alpine, which is used by Acura, is way better.

Any input?
    Regarding your statement; "probably the fastest TT is the 180 fwd coupe. This is because of it being a little over 300 pounds lighter than the 225 coupe with quattro", you might want to do a little more research.

According to Audi's TT brochure, (and verified by Car&driver, Road&Track and Motor Trend magazines tests), the 225 TT is both quicker and faster than the 180hp version. While it's true that the 225 Quattro Roadster outweighs the 180 FWD Coupe by 552 lbs, it still has a superior horsepower to weight ratio (16.23 lbs/hp vs. 15.44 for the Roadster). Add in the Quattro's ability to put all that additional power to the ground and you end up with a serious performance advantage:

180 FWD Coupe 0-60= 7.6 seconds top speed 130*
    225 Q Roadster 0-60= 6.7 seconds: top speed 143*

*Top speeds mechanically limited on both cars, but given two cars with virtually identical Cd and similar gearing, top speed is limited primarily by horsepower.

Only the 225 Coupe is quicker than the 225 Roadster and only marginally so: 6.3 secs 0-60.

I won't even begin to get into a discussion of the handling advantages of Quattro versus FWD! What it comes down to is that if you want the quickest, fastest, best-handling TT available, the 225 Q Coupe is the obvious choice. Make it a Roadster and you'll get to enjoy the wind in your hair too.
    I think I got caught using a little hyperbole. You are right that all the car magazines show speed advantages to the 225 quattro. And when one uses a term like "fastest", as I did, one usually thinks in terms of 0-60 times.

My main disagreement with you is in vastness of the superiority between the 225cq and the 180c fwd. Keep in mind I own a 2000 180 coupe with quattro.

Let us say as an example, a car traveling at a certain speed has to brake, or slow down to enter a turn and accelerate as it leaves the turn. A car that is 300 plus pounds lighter than another car, all other things being equal, will be able to apply his brakes later into the turn and will be able to start speeding up sooner on its way out of the same turn. Also it should have less momentum than the heavier car in the turn itself and should be able to travel the same arc at a greater speed. If all other things are equal.

Obviously though, the haldex quattro system the TT uses helps the 225, but you should really drive the 180 fwd sometime (if you have not already)it really does handle very well. That is at least on dry surfaces. And while I have no hard evidence other than just seat of my pants experience and feel, I think the two cars are a little closer in performance than you would have us believe. And if one throws in a APR chip, I would love to see how the 180 fwd matches up with the a stock 225 0-60 or otherwise.

Also for the potential buyers, I again assert that there are used TT's out on the market that offer impressive savings and that the original steering feel of the first year is much sought after by lovers of this beautiful car.

Meanwhile, I have probubly one of the slowest TT's, but I too love the quattro. Especially on a night like this in South Florida where it is raining like mad. BTW, I would love to hear you discuss the advantages of the quattro system.

Lastly, are you still living in Florida? If so where?
    tntt2:

I hear what you're saying about the lighter car being more nimble. At times I wish my roadster were about 500 lbs. lighter! I've got my car chipped, but a weight loss program would have helped too (so I gave up fast food)! lol

Anyway, I think you'll find that the 225 Q still laps faster because of the overwhelming power advantage, quattro traction, and 6 speed (makes better use of power). If I had the choice of even more power for my Q or less weight, I'd keep the same power and drop the weight. The Quattro roadster IS HEAVY for its size.

I live in Hawaii now, but the Quattro still helps in the rain--lets me run past cars with much more power when the road is wet.
  • antslappyantslappy Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a '02 TT Q Roadster and am hearing alot about chipping. My dealer says;"No Way, it will void the 4 yr. warranty"!!!!! Is this true or not?????
    I wouldn't if I were you. One of our neighbors considered it and, after some research, concluded that he would be in a major warranty fight if anything ever went wrong with the car (related to the modifications or not). He might ultimately have won - but it would have been bloody. He ended up trading for a Boxster S earlier this year and - according to the Porsche dealer - they wouldn't have considered taking his TT in trade had it been "chipped" or otherwise modified.

I myself own a 2002 S2000 and have heard that it is possible to get 300 hp with a supercharger. No thanks. I test drove everything out there and bought the S2000 based upon it's merits. I could have bought a pristine 1996 NSX instead, but went with the S2000 for reliability and peace of mind. Why screw that up with an aftermarket modification.

IMHO you should enjoy your new car as is.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My wife is on her second TT and has ordered her third, a 2003 225HP coupe to replace her soon to be off lease 2001 225HP coupe. Her 2000 180HP quattro coupe was chipped (by our dealer). Your comments pertaining to your dealer and your desire to keep his name "a secret" are understood.

Would you, however, mind telling me what chip you used?

In our 2000 TT, we used an MTM stage 1 chip (took the car to 195HP and about 240!!!! lb ft of torque). I have just ordered a 2003 2.7T allroad and am leaning toward another MTM chip, but the press on the APR chips is quite impressive too.

Man -- chipping a 225HP TT must be like strapping a rocket onto it -- it is already quite quick.

I am looking for the "stage one" effect for my Audi turbos -- I understand and appreciate the stage 2 and beyond effect, but don't really see any need for that much extra performance since with the stage one chip effect, the TT (and hopefully the 2.7T allroad) is quicker than virtually anything else on the road -- and besides neither my wife or I plan to drag race.

And, to the warranty issue that is oft discussed. Time and time again I find that the chipping is not and does not cause a warranty issue. As I said, my dealer installed mine and there was no issue or concern that the Audi Advantage would somehow be jeopardized.

I await your chip vendor's name...
  • antslappyantslappy Member Posts: 2
    To Vinnyny:
    I don't have a chip for my new TT Q. I was just trying to get some info on the subject. This is my first Audi, and I know very little about
    them! I don't want to "mess things up" by doing
    3rd. party mods and void my 4 yr. warranty. So...with that in mind, any help you Audi owners
    could provide will be much appreciated. Thank You
    Too Much!!!
    My brother has an 01 A4 1.8 Quattro. He added a chip to increase his power from 170 to about 200. He inquired at the dealer about the modification and they said his warranty would not be affected. Just to be safe though, he opted to install a switch which allows him to turn off the chip and return his car to original power when he takes it in for warranty work. With it switched off, they could never tell he had modified it. Maybe those who are worried about it but want the extra power should get this switch. Total cost was around $500.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    the dealer could prove that the chip was wholly or partly responsible for any failure that was to be repaired. This is true for all vehicles sold in the USA. :-) BTW, I have a chipped WRX wagon for point of reference. :-)

Stephen
  • whiteda6whiteda6 Member Posts: 1
    I am going to buy a 225 TT Roadster. Does anyone know if you can fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Nope -- they will not fit. They do fit in the coupe tho.
    I carted my set of clubs to the Honda dealer to make sure they fit before buying an S2000. One set is no problem, two won't fit unless they are very small bags. Sorry to hear the TT can't hold even one set.

A convertible that you can't drive to the golf course should be outlawed (or at least come with a dash mounted warning sticker).
    Mark:

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I haven't been checking the board often. Anyway, I have an APR "chip". My dealer installed it, so he continues to honor the warranty. However, they did tell me that if the ECU dies, I'm on the hook for that (big money!). You might want to go to the APR website for more details on their products: WWW.GOAPR.COM.

As far as the earlier post about a "switch" that could turn off a chip and make it undetectable; I seriously doubt any such thing exists. Most high performance chips are soldered into the ECU. the only way to turn it off is to remove the ECU. Any dealer with half a brain and a diagnostic machine would detect the chip's presence in seconds. That's why lots of people buy a spare ECU and "chip" the spare. When they take their cars to the dealer, they put the original ECU back in. Unfortunately, the dealer can still download the ECU and determine that something's amiss.
    Well, it does exist as my brother's A4 has one. It's a toggle switch located under the dash by the driver's feet, similar to one used to turn on an alarm's valet mode. When you flip that switch, it changes the fuel mapping and cuts boost pressure (from how my brother described it) to return the car back to its original form. He says you can detect the difference in power quite easily with the switch turned on and off. I will have to find out which chip he bought and how much extra the switch was. I'm sure the chip would be detected if they really looked for it, but the switch just makes it act like every other A4 and thus would make them less likely to look for performance mods that they could attribute to a problem. It's not foolproof obviously, but it does help hide it.
    I think we're just miscommunicating...I didn't mean to say that no such switch exists, merely that the switch can't hide the fact that a car has been chipped. A switch that alters the programming does exist. APR calls their version a FlipSwitch. These switches allow you to change the program being used, but don't make the modification undetectable. If he suspects that a car has been modified, he'll be able to tell the car has been "chipped" by looking at the ECU. He probably won't do this, but if you have a toggle switch on the dash and the obligatory K&N air filter under the hood, he might. The switch might help you cut down the likelihood that he will look for a chip, but he still might look anyway. I paid my dealer about $200 more than I should have for my chip. I did this because I know he won't void my warranty (he can't turn me in because he did the work!)
    Ok, I got ya. I thought you were doubting my story was true, LOL. I think his chip is APR, but I'm not for certain. By the way, I don't think he has changed the air filter. If he did, he didn't do the obvious filtercharger, just the drop in.
    As pleased as I am with the power of my upgraded TT, I can't help but wonder how great it would perform if it lost about 500 lbs. My roadster feels very solid and doesn't flex much, but that solidity comes at the expense of acceleration. Even with the stage 1 modifications, a well-driven S2000 will outrun my TT (unless it's raining).

If Audi can't reduce the weight without losing structural rigidity, why don't they increase the power? I understand why Audi didn't use one of its 6 cylinder engines in the TT, but why not twin turbos?
    Just my opinion, but I don't think Audi was aiming at beating the S2000, BMW Z3 3.0 or Porsche Boxster in the performance categories. I think they aimed more at "aesthetic" targets. This is similar to my feeling after recently driving the new Lexus SC430. It is a home run as far as interior quality, luxury gizmos and overall fit and finish. But it is no sports car to drive.

I can sympathize with you about wanting more performance. But, as I suggested to someone pondering why the SC430 doesn't offer a sport package, I think you need to evaluate philosophy behind the car. You could add power to the TT to improve acceleration, but I doubt its still going to handle as nimbly and precisely as the 600-700 lb lighter Boxster or S2000. And my adding rear speakers to my S2000 helps a bit, but hardly turns it into a Lexus concert hall.

My philosophy is be happy with what you have. In my case, a ground up sports car with no luxury do-dads. In your case a hell of a nice "touring" roadster with very acceptable performance (even in the rain).
    I agree with what you're saying in regards to appreciating our cars for what they are rather than what they are not. However, among car aficionados, speed will always be an important consideration. No matter how well one's car performs, we always feel like it should be just a little bit quicker...

I love my TT, but I'd love it even more with 300 hp on tap!
  • woodenshoeswoodenshoes Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 TT Coupe, and was wondering if anyone has any experience in seating a child, in their carseat, in one of the backseats of the coupe. This is the only way I can make the case at home to buy this car :-) !
    I realize it's not a practical vehicle if one intends to tote children around in. I was wondering if it could be done, should the need arise. Thanks!